Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I'd like to look at those historical facts. Do they account for the fact that the East Coast team may have been the favorite to begin with? What is the deviation from the norm for away teams? All things being even the home team has the advantage and wins to the tune of about 80% of the time when they are the favorite. In 2005 we went East and cleaned up with the exception of losing to Philly, a game we had in the bag.

Where are these histrorical facts?
Look 'em up. You want a lot of info, go get it. Find info to rebut it if you don't believe it.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I'd like to look at those historical facts. Do they account for the fact that the East Coast team may have been the favorite to begin with? What is the deviation from the norm for away teams? All things being even the home team has the advantage and wins to the tune of about 80% of the time when they are the favorite. In 2005 we went East and cleaned up with the exception of losing to Philly, a game we had in the bag.

Where are these histrorical facts?
It's not just west to east either. It's east to west. The NFL must agree. They changed things up because of east coast team's complaints. I'm sure you've heard of it.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
Marion, you are a good dude but we'll have to disagree. It's my firm contention that these guys go out and party really hard when the family is 1000's of miles away.

All other walks of life do this. I used to travel with WWF (now E). There is drinking, drugs, and women in every single town. NFL players are no different.

but in the previous post youre claiming the reason for the losing is because west teams have been worse than eastern teams? Is infidelity above or below that on the list of reasons why west teams do bad on the east coast? Is there a correlation between infidelity and partying and road games with 4PM starts or other west coast games?

-Mario Lopez
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
[insert green font]

Are you trying to say that not-so-hot teams like the Raiders, 49ers, Seattle, etc etc. struggle against east coast teams like New England, Pitt, and Indy because they aren't as good?

That it has NOTHING to do with jetlag?

Really? This has to do with bad teams from the WC playing good teams on the EC? Or equally bad teams that are playing well at home?

This needs to stop.

These players are getting stomach aches because they have to wake up and play a game three hours earlier than expected. A few times a year.

We all need to be more understanding.

It's more than west heading east, it's east heading west too. East coast teams complained about heading west. Complaints the NFL listened to, obviously, as they changed things up. They must agree that it puts teams at a disadvantage crossing the country for a game.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Support our troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
Look 'em up. You want a lot of info, go get it. Find info to rebut it if you don't believe it.

Something tells me the Walsh era 49ers never complained or the Noll Steelers
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Something tells me the Walsh era 49ers never complained or the Noll Steelers
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that they didn't complain. Belichik complained though, didn't he? He ranks up there with those other guys I think.

Also, it's us fans talking about it here on the board, right? Not the Norv Chargers.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that they didn't complain. Belichik complained though, didn't he? He ranks up there with those other guys I think.

Also, it's us fans talking about it here on the board, right? Not the Norv Chargers.
It's good to get the 2012 excuses lined up early!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
It's good to get the 2012 excuses lined up early!
Who said it was an excuse?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

This argument about travel policy for East Coast & West Coast teams traveling to the other side of the country has nothing to do with 10 AM games for West Coast teams.

The only official "policy" that the NFL set up for divisions playing the AFC West is that a team won't travel to SD and Oakland during the same season. If you play @ SD, then one of the other "away" AFC West games will be at Denver or KC.

That doesn't work going the other direction unless you can build a massive backhoe to dig up Buffalo, East Rutherford, Foxboro or Miami and move it into a different time zone.

Here's the article talking about the change in "travel policy":

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4009230

Coast to coast travel can take a physical toll, but I don't see the time difference being a big factor other than if you let it affect you mentally. If you're a player or coach, my advice is just get on with it instead of griping about it since the griping is going to do nothing but reinforce the negative mindset.

Obviously it's not at anywhere near the level of the NFL, but I'd love to see how they'd react to the Rugby Super League playoff travel schedule we as defending national champions Belmont Shore had to endure over a two-week period back in 1999:

Since the league wasn't funding travel for anything other than the finals, our quarterfinal gameday began at 5 AM at LAX. We took a 6 AM flight to Atlanta, rented a couple of vans and drove to Marrietta to play undefeated Eastern Conference champions Life College (a chiropractic school that offered rugby scholarships). We played at about 4 PM EST and won the game by 1 point at the final whistle as Life's sideline kick went wide by about a foot, went to a quick hosted aftergame meal and took the 10 PM flight home to LAX.

In the semifinals two weeks later against one loss Aspen, the day started again at 5 AM at LAX. We took a 6 AM flight to Denver, then loaded onto vans and drove 3 hours through the Rockies to Aspen (elevation 7,900 feet), arriving 15 minutes after the scheduled game start. After a 20 minute warmup, we played the match which we won at the final whistle when our standoff connected on a 50 meter tie-breaking kick. We ate a few meatpies outside of our vans, drove 3 hours back to Denver and took the late evening flight back to LAX.

For the finals, the league paid for hotel rooms so we flew into Denver the night before the match against undefeated Denver (which we lost by 4 points).

Bottom line: I don't have a lot of sympathy for any 10 AM excuse where you fly into town a couple of days early. Just get on with it and move on down the road.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Who said it was an excuse?
you are already making the excuse perry. you're the king of excuses.