Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
It ended the sack dance portion of his career.
And he was never the same. That's for sure
Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBowlBoltsFan View Post
Right, that was the scenario. So, do you think it was a bounty hunt hit? Remember, the Titans were also the ones that ended Merriman's career with a totally illegal hit.
I don't know if the Titans specifically ran a bounty system or if they were just a dirty-ass team. I mean, they essentially ended Merriman's career too, at least his career as an impact player. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some incentive to play that way beyond the normal "do what you're told" incentive.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 AM
gobolt1

i think gates will have a great year,maybe one of his best.him and rivers.close to a 1,000 yards 10 tds idk but i see the ball going his way a lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Plantarfaciaitis is not something that really ever goes away.

The facia in the bottom of the foot that connect to heal bone(calcaneus) and is also connected to the tendons of the muscles of the posterior part of the lower legs. These muscles are ususally very hypertonic.

Gates should never ice his foot. Even though doctors recommend ice for inflammation. The ice will actually cause the facia to tighten as it cools which will continue the problem of facia in the foot that is tight to begin with. The reason it becomes inflammed is because it is too tight and is getting irritated. It needs to be loosened up with stretching and heat, so that it does not become inflammed when heavily worked during physical activity. He needs to keep the facia warm, so he should use heating pads for therapy before and after games. He should stretch the calf muscles of his leg regularly. And he needs to wear shoes that fit correctly at all times.

If he does the proper things religiously, he can be effective on gameday.

Running on the beach barefoot would help strengthen the arch of the foot which also is a problem with plantarfaciaitis.

Only 5 percent of people with plantarfaciaitis neeed surgery. So the fact that Gates had surgery makes me wonder if he is getting the best treatment and advice for his foot.

If I see or hear he is simply resting the foot and icing it. I know he will be on IR again this season.

He has to run on the beach and warm and stretch the facia so that it can become flexible like it should be. Resting it and icing it will only help the pain go away temporarily. You actually want to work the foot, allow it to have some moderate aches and pains as it retrained to be flexible like it should be.

I think they have tried to manage pain with Gates so he can play. Icing it and resting it so he can play on gameday is not the long-term solution that would allow him to be 100% again.

I dont like how this has been handled at all.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
Plantarfaciaitis is not something that really ever goes away.

The facia in the bottom of the foot that connect to heal bone(calcaneus) and is also connected to the tendons of the muscles of the posterior part of the lower legs. These muscles are ususally very hypertonic.

Gates should never ice his foot. Even though doctors recommend ice for inflammation. The ice will actually cause the facia to tighten as it cools which will continue the problem of facia in the foot that is tight to begin with. The reason it becomes inflammed is because it is too tight and is getting irritated. It needs to be loosened up with stretching and heat, so that it does not become inflammed when heavily worked during physical activity. He needs to keep the facia warm, so he should use heating pads for therapy before and after games. He should stretch the calf muscles of his leg regularly. And he needs to wear shoes that fit correctly at all times.

If he does the proper things religiously, he can be effective on gameday.

Running on the beach barefoot would help strengthen the arch of the foot which also is a problem with plantarfaciaitis.

Only 5 percent of people with plantarfaciaitis neeed surgery. So the fact that Gates had surgery makes me wonder if he is getting the best treatment and advice for his foot.

If I see or hear he is simply resting the foot and icing it. I know he will be on IR again this season.

He has to run on the beach and warm and stretch the facia so that it can become flexible like it should be. Resting it and icing it will only help the pain go away temporarily. You actually want to work the foot, allow it to have some moderate aches and pains as it retrained to be flexible like it should be.

I think they have tried to manage pain with Gates so he can play. Icing it and resting it so he can play on gameday is not the long-term solution that would allow him to be 100% again.

I dont like how this has been handled at all.
He doesn't have plantar faciaitus. He tore his plantar facia. It's different.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
He doesn't have plantar faciaitus. He tore his plantar facia. It's different.
Precisely. It's a good thing that the fascia finally ruptured.

Quote:
Is Plantar Fasciitis the same as a Rupture of the Plantar Fascia?

No.

Although the same ligament (plantar fascia) in the foot is involved in both, they are very different problems. One is just inflammation of the ligament while the other is an actual torn ligament. Because they are different problems, they have to be treated differently to get better.

http://www.anklecenter.com/index.php...in-&Itemid=197

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 05-30-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Also, athletes get surgeries that the general public wouldn't require all the time to speed recovery. He probably didn't neeeed surgery either, but it likely got him to the trainer's office sooner.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Also, athletes get surgeries that the general public wouldn't require all the time to speed recovery. He probably didn't neeeed surgery either, but it likely got him to the trainer's office sooner.
That reminds me of this Louis CK bit:

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I thought he had plantarfaciaitis. I thought it tore it trying to play too soon.
And I think even though he had surgery, coming back this year is too soon.

He needs to take a full season off and rehab his foot.

Every article I read before he tore it says he was trying to manage the pain of plantarficiatis and still play.

Did he ever fully rehab from turf toe in 2008?

If his feet arent right, he can he last in the tough NFL?

AJ Smith would be smart to trade him early while he still looks good in pre-season.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
I thought he had plantarfaciaitis. I thought it tore it trying to play too soon.
And I think even though he had surgery, coming back this year is too soon.

He needs to take a full season off and rehab his foot.

Every article I read before he tore it says he was trying to manage the pain of plantarficiatis and still play.

Did he ever fully rehab from turf toe in 2008?

If his feet arent right, he can he last in the tough NFL?

AJ Smith would be smart to trade him early while he still looks good in pre-season.

You should back away from thinking.....it is painful.

GO BOLTS !