Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm No Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Did Meachem get 56 Million Dollars ?

"But, but, but Meachem is different and has his own strengths !"

"But Meachem CAN be special ! "

I'll let the market dictate who is better.

Get that money right, cuz VJ got his.

Please Google "did Bucs overpay Vincent Jackson" and read what actual experts- the guys that make a living based on their opinions- say.

You're holding onto this notion that Jackson was some sort of guy that got screwed in SD.

He was upset because over his term here he made about $15m. He cost himself another roughly $3m when he held out.

He has shown, whether it was holding out and not signing his tender or going to a team that wasn't even close to being a contender that offered him an insane deal, that he is truly all about the money.

Good receiver, not the be all end all, not worth top-5 or better money. He just isn't. There wasn't a bidding war- there wasn't three or four teams battling it out. Dude signed the minute he could because even he knew he wasn't getting a better deal anywhere.

If there was any demand for his services at $55m that wouldn't have happened. He would have made his visits and used his leverage.

But alas he didn't have any. Bucs overpaid crazy and like I said if he gets his yards then good for them. I don't wish Jackson to blow a knee or get hit by a bus. But he has a track record of very selfish behavior both on and off the field and I don't miss him. I'm excited for who we have.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBolts View Post
Putting two of the same WRs in your top 10 is one way to get 10 better than VJ. Honestly though, you can't possibly tell me you would rather have a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL(will he be good, prolly). Robert Meachem over VJ-are you serious? Reggie over the hill wayne? There is no reason to bash VJ just because he is gone. If still here(for a lot less) Im sure you wouldnt be singing this tune. I would say:
Andre Johnson
Mike Wallace
Wes Welker
VJ
AJ Green
Dwayne Bowe
Reggie Wayne
Robert Meachem
Yes.
You're right that I would not sing the same tune now if he was here. I always figure Chargers who screwed the pooch in the past will put it behind them when they are with us in the offseason and working hard. VJ's not.
Do I seriously think Meachem can mean more to the Chargers? Definetly. He's here, he's talented, he's working hard and wants to win football games. VJ wanted to win a huge contract. Goodie for him. He got it. Get over it, he's gone. He has yet to prove he can do anything in the Bucs offense. I strongly doubt he'll have a better season than Meachem.
I was a VJ supporter up to the NYJ playoff stupidity followed by a 12 game holdout.
Don't bother explaining why he was an ass, it's enough to know that he is one.
As far as his talent- he fit very well in Norv's offense with Rivers throwing the deep ball to him while Gates occupied coverage attention. He has yet to demonstrate a gift for making plays without them. We'll see.
I didn't like his attitude when he was here and didn't like it when he left. Sue me.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm No Noob

Agreed SJ 1000% but the fanbase that thinks we were better off with Jackson over Meachem, Royal and JJ apparently will never be persuaded.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Rookie

When VJ was holding out I went to palm springs for a friends birthday and saw VJ there. Thats right while Mini-camp and OTAs were going on he was sipping margaritas by the pool with his girlfriend. I asked him how he was doing and he shunned me like the arrogant ass he is. I've met several pro athletes before and he by far was the most arrogant and self centered of all. After that encounter I absolutely understood why the chargers didn't want him in their long term plans. Guy is a jerk who only looks after himself. I will take Meacham and his work ethic and attitude over VJ any day of the week.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
17 and 19.

10ch
LOL. Got me. On a side note, and more importantly, have we talked about their arm lengths???

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
LOL. Got me. On a side note, and more importantly, have we talked about their arm lengths???
We haven't, and I can't believe that! We're slipping a little, it being the off-season and all.

Someone needs to find out their arm lengths immediately. If Meachem thinks his + leaping ability will negate any possible appendage deficit, he's got another thing coming
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Draft Well my TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
Please Google "did Bucs overpay Vincent Jackson" and read what actual experts- the guys that make a living based on their opinions- say.

You're holding onto this notion that Jackson was some sort of guy that got screwed in SD.

He was upset because over his term here he made about $15m. He cost himself another roughly $3m when he held out.

He has shown, whether it was holding out and not signing his tender or going to a team that wasn't even close to being a contender that offered him an insane deal, that he is truly all about the money.

Good receiver, not the be all end all, not worth top-5 or better money. He just isn't. There wasn't a bidding war- there wasn't three or four teams battling it out. Dude signed the minute he could because even he knew he wasn't getting a better deal anywhere.

If there was any demand for his services at $55m that wouldn't have happened. He would have made his visits and used his leverage.

But alas he didn't have any. Bucs overpaid crazy and like I said if he gets his yards then good for them. I don't wish Jackson to blow a knee or get hit by a bus. But he has a track record of very selfish behavior both on and off the field and I don't miss him. I'm excited for who we have.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC-SBV-1D View Post
I know these are "may articles" but it pumps me up to have bright young, talented guys on my team. The theme im picking up from everyone is that they all have everything to prove. In fact that should replace "bolt up" this season unless theres something out there already.
Meachem isn't young. He'll be 28 in the first month of the season. At best we'll get Chambers level production (latter half of 2007) out of him, but I doubt it.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Let's see if VJ can pocket the entire $56 million, shall we? I'm thinking 2 years, no playoff appearances, and then VJ gets jettisoned for "cap reasons".
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
Meachem isn't young. He'll be 28 in the first month of the season. At best we'll get Chambers level production (latter half of 2007) out of him, but I doubt it.
That's close to what VJ did last year. A few more catches, less ypc and TDs.
It would not break my heart.
I'm hoping he can be more productive in catch numbers than either. 60 catches per year is away downstream from what the big boys do.
We'll see. He'll have a great opportunity in SD.