Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Free Agents I hope we target in 2014

It might be to early, but I really don't care. I'm sure TT and every other GM around the league already have a list of players that they are looking at as potential Chargers.

Talib CB - This has been a weakness and we just blew big money on Cox who has been terrible. Would loved it if that money went to Talib. This guy has been such a great player since he was drafted. He's just a natural at the position and is easily up there with Revis and Sherman.

Linval Joseph NT - Big time upgrade over Thomas. Joseph has dealt with injuries but has been productive on the field.

Donald Butler - He's a stud, yes he has hamstring problems, but he's impact player. We need to keep Butler, he's also the most physical player that we have a LB.

Bernard Pollard SS - Not going to a favorite, but we are lacking physicality at the position. Weddle is being used the wrong way. Pollard is an in the box safety that will allow Weddle to play the field. Pollard will also bring a toughness that we still seem to lack.

Antonio Smith DE - Another guy who brings toughness and production.

We can sit here and talk about character. Well, its great to have good Character on the team, but we could also use some attitude and toughness. Look at the Patriots. They are a good team and will always be a good team. They take chances on troubled players and it seems to pay off for them. Our Owner, GM and Coaches need to have some confident that they can deal with troubled players much like how the Pats do.

I know we won't have the monies to sign all of these guys. But if we are able to sign any of these guys, it will be an upgrade to the defense.

MOCK 2014:

1. Louis Nix NT
2. James Hurst LT
3. Jackson Jeffcoat OLB
4. Brandin Cooks WR
5. Marion Grice RB
6. Brandon Thomas OG
7. Dexter Mcdougle CB

Second Draft
1. Ifo Ekpre-OlomuCB
2. Jackson JeffcoatOLB
3. Aaron Colvin CB
4. De'Anthony Thomas RB
5. Shaq Evans WR
6. Nickoe Whitley SS
7. Brandon Thomas OT/OG
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Cabo Trip Advisor

I like Linval Joseph, Bernard Pollard and Donald Butler. Draft pass rush, OL and CB. Win Superbowl.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BOLTFAN View Post
It might be to early, but I really don't care. I'm sure TT and every other GM around the league already have a list of players that they are looking at as potential Chargers.

Talib CB - This has been a weakness and we just blew big money on Cox who has been terrible. Would loved it if that money went to Talib. This guy has been such a great player since he was drafted. He's just a natural at the position and is easily up there with Revis and Sherman.

Linval Joseph NT - Big time upgrade over Thomas. Joseph has dealt with injuries but has been productive on the field.

Donald Butler - He's a stud, yes he has hamstring problems, but he's impact player. We need to keep Butler, he's also the most physical player that we have a LB.

Bernard Pollard SS - Not going to a favorite, but we are lacking physicality at the position. Weddle is being used the wrong way. Pollard is an in the box safety that will allow Weddle to play the field. Pollard will also bring a toughness that we still seem to lack.

Antonio Smith DE - Another guy who brings toughness and production.

We can sit here and talk about character. Well, its great to have good Character on the team, but we could also use some attitude and toughness. Look at the Patriots. They are a good team and will always be a good team. They take chances on troubled players and it seems to pay off for them. Our Owner, GM and Coaches need to have some confident that they can deal with troubled players much like how the Pats do.

I know we won't have the monies to sign all of these guys. But if we are able to sign any of these guys, it will be an upgrade to the defense.
There's no doubting that Talib is playing like a stud this season. But do you really want to give that guy- that guy- 10+M/season? I don't. For one, I don't think we can afford it. And secondly, if we could, I'd give it to another corner who is playing really well like Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis, or Sam Shields. Not the guy who got into a fist fight at his rookie symposium, beat up a cab driver, resisted arrest, and had assault with a deadly weapon charges dropped only because there was insufficient evidence to proceed with a trial. Screw character, let's just talk about not being stupid with money here. There's a real and present threat that Talib does something at any moment to get himself suspended indefinitely.

Linval Joseph interests me. I like him.

Obviously we need to keep Butler. Especially considering the dearth of ILB talent to be had this coming offseason.

I don't like Pollard. He can't cover and he's a personal foul machine. I understand wanting an enforcer, but if we're going to go that route let's get one who can also provide some semblance of coverage.

Antonio Smith would kind of be a luxury expenditure given the needs on our roster. I like the way that Lissemore and Guy have played as backups, and Reyes will (and should) get more time.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Cabo Trip Advisor

There are better safeties in the NFL than Pollard, for sure, but he would certainly be an upgrade to what we've got.

Here are the safeties that are FAs this year:

Mike Adams
Colt Anderson
Yeremiah Bell
Stevie Brown
Jarius bird
Don Carey
Chris Clemons
James Ihedigbo
Anthony Levine
Chris Maragos
Brandon Meriweather
Quinten Mikell
Michael Mitchell
Bernard Pollard
Craig Steltz
Darian Stewart
Donte Whitner

A number of big hitters in Whitner, Ihedigbo, Meriweather and Pollard, but not much else... Maybe Michael Mitchell or Chris Clemons. Also relatively slim in the draft, but the few guys at the top would add value. Position should be upgraded IMO.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Cabo Trip Advisor

Also, it looks like Pollard has cleaned up his game since last year (which was middle of the pack)... This year he has only had 1 foul and it was a PI.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

In coverage, I think he'd be a downgrade on what we've got.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
There are better safeties in the NFL than Pollard, for sure, but he would certainly be an upgrade to what we've got.

Here are the safeties that are FAs this year:

Mike Adams
Colt Anderson
Yeremiah Bell
Stevie Brown
Jarius bird
Don Carey
Chris Clemons
James Ihedigbo
Anthony Levine
Chris Maragos
Brandon Meriweather
Quinten Mikell
Michael Mitchell
Bernard Pollard
Craig Steltz
Darian Stewart
Donte Whitner

A number of big hitters in Whitner, Ihedigbo, Meriweather and Pollard, but not much else... Maybe Michael Mitchell or Chris Clemons. Also relatively slim in the draft, but the few guys at the top would add value. Position should be upgraded IMO.
Give me Stevie Brown he seems to be a Weddle type which is not a hard hiter, but always seems to be around the ball. He most likely won't get out of NY but if he does with his torn ACL he might take a smaller contract for a yr or 2 to get his stock up. Let's bring in Joseph and Brown in from the Giants.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
There's no doubting that Talib is playing like a stud this season. But do you really want to give that guy- that guy- 10+M/season? I don't. For one, I don't think we can afford it. And secondly, if we could, I'd give it to another corner who is playing really well like Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis, or Sam Shields. Not the guy who got into a fist fight at his rookie symposium, beat up a cab driver, resisted arrest, and had assault with a deadly weapon charges dropped only because there was insufficient evidence to proceed with a trial. Screw character, let's just talk about not being stupid with money here. There's a real and present threat that Talib does something at any moment to get himself suspended indefinitely.

Linval Joseph interests me. I like him.

Obviously we need to keep Butler. Especially considering the dearth of ILB talent to be had this coming offseason.

I don't like Pollard. He can't cover and he's a personal foul machine. I understand wanting an enforcer, but if we're going to go that route let's get one who can also provide some semblance of coverage.

Antonio Smith would kind of be a luxury expenditure given the needs on our roster. I like the way that Lissemore and Guy have played as backups, and Reyes will (and should) get more time.
You make a good point on Talib. He's a top corner but does come with a lot of baggage. I honestly don't see any team giving him 10mill a year. Davis would be a good pick.

MOCK 2014:

1. Louis Nix NT
2. James Hurst LT
3. Jackson Jeffcoat OLB
4. Brandin Cooks WR
5. Marion Grice RB
6. Brandon Thomas OG
7. Dexter Mcdougle CB

Second Draft
1. Ifo Ekpre-OlomuCB
2. Jackson JeffcoatOLB
3. Aaron Colvin CB
4. De'Anthony Thomas RB
5. Shaq Evans WR
6. Nickoe Whitley SS
7. Brandon Thomas OT/OG
Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BOLTFAN View Post
You make a good point on Talib. He's a top corner but does come with a lot of baggage. I honestly don't see any team giving him 10mill a year. Davis would be a good pick.
Honestly I don't think we can afford any of the top corners. Or maybe I should say that if we do sign a top corner, we wouldn't be able to afford much else.

I could see Talib getting 10, but on a one year deal. Or on a longer deal without much guaranteed beyond the first year, which is essentially a one year deal if the team wants it to be.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Honestly I don't think we can afford any of the top corners. Or maybe I should say that if we do sign a top corner, we wouldn't be able to afford much else.

I could see Talib getting 10, but on a one year deal. Or on a longer deal without much guaranteed beyond the first year, which is essentially a one year deal if the team wants it to be.
I like Sam Shields, and Verner but I think Verner's price tag is going to be a huge one so Shields would be fine with me.