PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Candidates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:05 AM
There has been quite a bit of talk regarding the need to fire McCoy and potentially the majority of the coaching staff. Plenty of people have been discussing potential replacements here and there. So this is a thread meant to localize that talk. Who do you like out there?

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Sean Payton please

florida SD fan
11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Whiz, only because he will be the only guy they can afford on a Busch beer budget. Would love Sean Payton, no way does jerry Jones not get him if Available.

BoltBacker4Life
11-12-2015, 10:15 AM
David Shaw, it's his time to see what he's got. As an SC fan I've watched a lot of Stanford games and his teams are well prepared, play hard and are disciplined.

midnight
1. Sean Payton
2. Marvin Lewis, if they fire him
3. Gary Patterson TCU
4. Briles Baylor or Shaw Stanford

In this order
Depending on Coach need to bring in a O.C and a new D.C

BoltBacker4Life
Whiz, only because he will be the only guy they can afford on a Busch beer budget. Would love Sean Payton, no way does jerry Jones not get him if Available.

Whiz, 8-31 in his last 39 games as a HC

No thanks

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Some change is good... Too much change is bad. I would like to play through and give McCoy another year. When healthy he had surpassed expectations. Unfortunately for us that was 1 of 3 years, and we've become progressively more injured since then.

That said, I'm personally not a big fan of Reich. I think a changing of the guards at coordinator would be better served.

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Why in the hell would they fire Marvin Lewis? Are people saying that?

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:19 AM
1. Sean Payton
2. Marvin Lewis, if they fire him
3. Gary Patterson TCU
4. Briles Baylor or Shaw Stanford

In this order

Briles is the sexy pick bc his college team did so well, but he's the perfect example of a great college coach who will inevitably fail in the NFL. IMHO.

TDOdyssey
11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Would a change even really matter if still with this ownership?

florida SD fan
11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Whiz, 8-31 in his last 39 games as a HC

No thanks

His record with elite QB is great. He did well here.

midnight
11-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Briles is the sexy pick bc his college team did so well, but he's the perfect example of a great college coach who will inevitably fail in the NFL. IMHO.

At this point I'm willing to try anything and possibly something out of the Norm. On Marvin Lewis if he doesn't do anything in the Playoffs this year he will probably be gone.

BoltBacker4Life
11-12-2015, 10:24 AM

You may want to go some research before you use the word great.

And most coaches will do better than not with an elite QB

R4PT0R
I would like to play through and give McCoy another year.

Good God man.. no. Just stop right there. The nightmare needs to end for all of us. You want us to live through another nightmarish season? Doing the same thing and expecting different results - insanity. Yep I'm applying that here - this post is absolutely insane.

marion butts
people want Payton?

florida SD fan
11-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Some change is good... Too much change is bad. I would like to play through and give McCoy another year. When healthy he had surpassed expectations. Unfortunately for us that was 1 of 3 years, and we've become progressively more injured since then.

That said, I'm personally not a big fan of Reich. I think a changing of the guards at coordinator would be better served.

Rivers will have 3 year left, one more year for MM would give 2years with new regime.

End of this year is time to go.

woodeye2000
11-12-2015, 10:25 AM
So should Reich be running the halfback option play?
Made famous by Schotty ?
Or was it Sid Gillman ?
:confused:
Point is, why scapegoat anyone---with these injuries.
It is probably best to just keep everyone, until they learn how to coach, and after everyone gets healthy. :)

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Good God man.. no. Just stop right there. The nightmare needs to end for all of us. You want us to live through another nightmarish season? Doing the same thing and expecting different results - insanity. Yep I'm applying that here - this post is absolutely insane.

We're doing the same thing bc we have lack of experienced players due to all of the injuries. Our offense has become basic and predictable because all of our vets are injured.

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:26 AM
We're doing the same thing bc we have lack of experienced players due to all of the injuries. Our offense has become basic and predictable because all of our vets are injured.

This is some really funny stuff right here folks. Not sure if serious or joking though. Still funny.

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Rivers will have 3 year left, one more year for MM would give 2years with new regime.

End of this year is time to go.

This is a good point. I am losing faith in McCoy, but I haven't completely lost it. If we had a healthy team and we're getting beat by lesser competition I would have a real issue (like with Norv). That's not the case here though.

woodeye2000
11-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Agreed.
And...
LOL.

#freethegreatMoe

HeadTrip
11-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Horton from Tenn, Hugh Jackson from Cin, and maybe Chud from Indy would all be worthy interviews.

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Btw, nice troll thread Kemp. How's the popcorn?

woodeye2000
11-12-2015, 10:32 AM

I wanted to debate Centers.
Draft Pocic.
He held off the whole Crimson Tide.
All by hisself.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:34 AM
My short list, in no particular order:

Hue Jackson, OC, Bengals: Jackson has been coaching in the NFL since 2001, when he was hired as the RB coach in Washington. Since that time, he's held jobs as a positional coach or OC with the Bengals, Falcons, Ravens, and Raiders. He had a one year stint (2012) as the head coach in Oakland. As the OC in Oakland in 2010, the Raiders finished 6th in the NFL in scoring offense and with an 8-8 record. He then led them to another 8-8 record in 2011. The Raiders had not previously exceeded 5 wins since 2002. Unfortunately for Oakland, he was washed out by the FO change. He landed in Cincinnati as the RB coach, which he held for one season before taking over at OC for the departed Jay Gruden. The Bengals' offense has reached new heights under him this season. While he clearly has a lot of talent to work with in Cincinnati, he has a track record of getting the most out of the pieces he has to work with. His creativity in the running game is particularly attractive to me.
Vic Fangio, DC, Bears: Fangio has been coaching at the NFL since 1986. He's held positional and DC jobs with the Saints, Panthers, Colts, Texans, Ravens, 49ers, and Bears. He was the DC of the Jim Harbaugh led 49ers of recent years. Since taking over as the DC in Chicago, the Bears have moved from 30th in total defense and 31st in scoring defense to 9th and 27th respectively. Those modest gains are enhanced by an overall uptick in the performance of several key players on defense, particularly Pernell McPhee and Lamarr Houston. Distinguishing him further is a stint from 2006 to 2008 in Baltimore as a special assistant to head coach Brian Billick. He was tasked with making game management decisions in the heat of the moment and advising Billick. That experience could lessen the learning curve as a new HC.
Greg Roman, OC, Bills: The other coordinator of the Jim Harbaugh 49ers, Roman has coached in the NFL off and on since 1995. The success of offenses at Stanford and SF was difficult to attribute to him as he was working under an offensive minded head coach. However, his stint under Rex Ryan in Buffalo has allowed him to demonstrate his abilities to elevate players. The Tyrod Taylor led Buffalo Bills have been a very capable offensive unit, exceeding 26 points per game without an abundance of proven talent on the roster. And those numbers are even skewed negatively by a stint where they were forced to use E.J. Manuel.
Keith Butler, DC, Steelers: Keith Butler spent 12 years as the linebackers coach in Pittsburgh before taking over as DC in 2015. Over that time, he reportedly turned down many other DC position offers out of a desire to stay in Pitt and inherit the coordinator job from Dick LeBeau. One wonders if a HC offer would be enough to pull him away. But he may warrant such an attempt, as the Steelers' defense has taken strides under his leadership thus far. The young talent in particular has taken steps forward this season. Some might balk at hiring a guy with only a single season's worth of experience as a DC, but his resume belies his actual level of experience.
Matt Patricia, DC, Patriots: Patricia is easily the most volatile candidate on my list. He's only 41 and has been coaching in the NFL since 2004. What's more, the Belichick coaching tree is full of bad apples who have withered outside of Foxborough. And he coaches under a defensive minded HC, making it difficult to ascertain what portion of their success is attributable to him. But just when I've nearly talked myself out of it, I have to pause and consider what an incredible job NE's defense has done transitioning from 2014 to 2015. Their style is very different, and yet they've continued to be one of the best stop units in the game. Furthermore, Patricia spent the first 2 years of his time in the NFL coaching the offensive side of the ball. The experience on both sides could give him a more global perspective on coaching a team that most coaches lack, being much more heavily invested in one side or the other. He makes me nervous, but I'm definitely interested.

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Would we be 2-7 without ANY COACHES WHATSOEVER? Would we be 0-7? Would we be better than 2-7 with Just Philip and the boys in charge? IF you even are considering the possibility that we might be better than 2-7, then you can obviously infer that this coaching staff is absolutely worthless.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Why is this a troll thread?

Injuries have been huge and need to be factored. However, it's often guys who are starters that are making the stupid plays or under-performing. And his extreme conservatism is a weight around this team's ankle. I'm not saying that the opposite is the answer (i.e. constant gambling), but we need someone who isn't completely and unequivocally gutless.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Would we be 2-7 without ANY COACHES WHATSOEVER? Would we be 0-7? Would we be better than 2-7 with Just Philip and the boys in charge? IF you even are considering the possibility that we might be better than 2-7, then you can obviously infer that this coaching staff is absolutely worthless.

This coaching staff needs to go, but is it even a question what would happen to an NFL team without a coaching staff?

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Why is this a troll thread?

Injuries have been huge and need to be factored. However, it's often guys who are starters that are making the stupid plays or under-performing. And his extreme conservatism is a weight around this team's ankle. I'm not saying that the opposite is the answer (i.e. constant gambling), but we need someone who isn't completely and unequivocally gutless.

Why aren't you a fan of Sean Payton? He has a lot of guts. Very intelligent, innovative, and he doesn't take crap. He demands excellence. He seems to be the perfect fit here IMO. But I wouldn't expect him to want to come here. I really don't see it happening. But I want it to happen pretty bad.

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Jackson and Patricia definitely catch my eye on your list.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Why aren't you a fan of Sean Payton? He has a lot of guts. Very intelligent, innovative, and he doesn't take crap. He demands excellence. He seems to be the perfect fit here IMO. But I wouldn't expect him to want to come here. I really don't see it happening. But I want it to happen pretty bad.

He's not currently a candidate.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Jackson and Patricia definitely catch my eye on your list.

Fangio might be my favorite and I don't quite know why.

SF keeping Tomsula and letting both coordinators walk is looking pretty darn stupid.

marion butts
i think i want jackson. why do people like Payton so much?

Kemp17
i think i want jackson. why do people like Payton so much?

Supposedly a disciplinarian. And he has a ring.

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:45 AM
This coaching staff needs to go, but is it even a question what would happen to an NFL team without a coaching staff?

A funny thought nonetheless. What value do you place on this coaching staff? Have they helped us get 1 of our 2 wins? Both wins? 0 wins?

At least 1 win I'd attribute to just having Rivers on the team. This coaching staff hasn't provided this team with anything but a lump of coal for Christmas in early November.

chopper31
11-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I think Patricia has great potential, with experience on both sides of the ball, and being groomed in an organization that knows a thing or two about winning. He also has proven this year that he doesn't need a star studded cast to get the job done. Could he get our below par group of talent to overachieve ? It's certainly possible.

However, if he were to try and be a micromanager, then things could backfire. If he can put together a solid staff, let them do their thing on Gameday, and an as advisor when needed I like his chances.

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 10:50 AM
My only issue with Payton is that he's in a very winnable division, with Brees at the helm, but for whatever reason he has struggled the last two years. Not sure what's up with that, but red flags for sure.

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 10:57 AM
My only issue with Payton is that he's in a very winnable division, with Brees at the helm, but for whatever reason he has struggled the last two years. Not sure what's up with that, but red flags for sure.

I had to respond to this. A very winnable division? They are in a division with arguably the best team in the NFL right now. 8-0 Panthers. In 2nd place is Atlanta Falcons who are a healthy 6-3. They are in 3rd with a record of 4-5, which in case you didn't notice is a lot better than ours.

You support Mike McCoy but yet you question Sean Payton's acumen:crazy::confused: because of a couple of below average seasons? I'd be more inclined to give Payton the benefit of the doubt since he is a proven winner. I would look at first and foremost the talent of the roster which I believe is a bit subpar. Defensive coaching and the defense in general are also poor.

He is still Miles, WORLDS, UNIVERSES ahead of McCoy. They are in different leagues entirely. They aren't even coaching the same game. Payton's coaching a professional football team, and Mike is.. ummm.. he's just Mike I guess?

AFBoltFan
11-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Coughlin
McDaniel
Roman
Hue Jackson (grudgingly due to Raiders history...)
Mike Shula

Short list might grow as time goes on...

marion butts
11-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Coughlin
McDaniel
Roman
Hue Jackson (grudgingly due to Raiders history...)
Mike Shula

Short list might grow as time goes on...

Tom Coughlin? McDaniel?

Wheres Kotite?

AFBoltFan
11-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Tom Coughlin? McDaniel?

Wheres Kotite?

I just think a coach like Coughlin is what this team needs. Coughlin paired with a gifted OC would be great for this team. (granted he's old and a New York guy).

You would be straight dumb to not give McDaniel another shot as a HC in this league... I'm willing to bet he has matured since the Denver debacle.

dtm
11-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Adam Gaze... the next OC that will keep us at 8-8 for the foreseeable future

charger1_sj
11-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Adam Gaze... the next OC that will keep us at 8-8 for the foreseeable future

8-8 looks like a major improvement from where we currently stand.

All the same just say no to Gaze.

Dha
11-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Rob Chudzinski - he won 4 games with Brandon Weeden as his starting QB. Never had a chance in Cleveland. Well respected offensive mind throughout the NFL.

Da_Cha-gers
11-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm not in favor of firing MM to this point, however, since it seems the majority are in favor of doing so, I'll throw another name into the hat I haven't seen mentioned yet ..... Clemson HC Dabo Swinney:

In seven years (six full seasons) as the Tigers’ head coach, Swinney has directed Clemson to a 61-26 overall record (.701) and a 39-14 ACC regular-season mark (.736). He has also led the Tigers to the ACC Championship game twice, won one ACC Championship, won or shared three ACC Atlantic Division titles, won four bowl games and has been named national coach-of-the-year twice.

Not only that, but check this out, if Clemson is atop the CFB polls Dec 6th he wants to throw the biggest pizza party perhaps ever and open up the 80,000 seat stadium to all to do it ....

“The only poll that we’re excited about is Dec. 6, and I promise you we’ll have the biggest poll party you’ve seen. We’ll open up Death Valley and serve pizza to everybody. That’ll be a time to celebrate a poll. Until then it doesn’t matter.”

This sounds great. Death Valley, by the way, seats about 81,500 people, so that’s about 10,188 pizzas.

I've read the estimated cost for the pizza's to be around $150,000.00

ESPN did a piece on this last weekend that estimates what it would take:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14058332/can-clemson-deliver-dabo-swinney-pizza-promise

It'll be interesting to see how Clemson does going forward and whether this giant pizza party will happen or not .... stay tuned. ;) . :)

Go Chargers! :logo

SDCPB
11-12-2015, 12:18 PM
I am losing faith in McCoy, but I haven't completely lost it. If we had a healthy team and we're getting beat by lesser competition I would have a real issue (like with Norv).

Mccoy HAS gotten beaten or have had trouble with lesser competition. The two week 17 games in 2013 and 2014 when the Chiefs had their backups. This year the MNF game when the Steelers didn't have their starters on offense. This is concerning.

Norv was bad, but he wasn't this bad.

HeadTrip
11-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I think more people should take notice of what Chud and the Colts managed to do against Denver's D.

florida SD fan
11-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Could Rex Ryan get the ax if they lose to the Jets.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Do people really want a 70 year old head coach?

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 01:17 PM
MATT PATRICIA! But I don't think he'll leave the Patriots....

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I think more people should take notice of what Chud and the Colts managed to do against Denver's D.

Do you think his stint with the Browns was merely because of the lack of talent there? I like what he did against Denver but I'm not sure him as a head coach would sit well with me. As an offensive coordinator... maybe...

AFBoltFan
11-12-2015, 01:20 PM

I know it is not the most realistic choice, I just like him as a HC. Always have. How old is Arians again?

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I know it is not the most realistic choice, I just like him as a HC. Always have. How old is Arians again?

He is a 63 year old stud! The things that could have been if he was our head coach....

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Currently? 63. He was hired at 61.

AFBoltFan
11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm just not too keen on rookie HC's right now. They'd have to be something special...

Besides Coughlin wrote a book about winning...!! :LightsOut:

DefenseWins
11-12-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm not in favor of firing MM to this point, however, since it seems the majority are in favor of doing so, I'll throw another name into the hat I haven't seen mentioned yet ..... Clemson HC Dabo Swinney:

In seven years (six full seasons) as the Tigers’ head coach, Swinney has directed Clemson to a 61-26 overall record (.701) and a 39-14 ACC regular-season mark (.736). He has also led the Tigers to the ACC Championship game twice, won one ACC Championship, won or shared three ACC Atlantic Division titles, won four bowl games and has been named national coach-of-the-year twice.

Not only that, but check this out, if Clemson is atop the CFB polls Dec 6th he wants to throw the biggest pizza party perhaps ever and open up the 80,000 seat stadium to all to do it ....

“The only poll that we’re excited about is Dec. 6, and I promise you we’ll have the biggest poll party you’ve seen. We’ll open up Death Valley and serve pizza to everybody. That’ll be a time to celebrate a poll. Until then it doesn’t matter.”

This sounds great. Death Valley, by the way, seats about 81,500 people, so that’s about 10,188 pizzas.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14058332/can-clemson-deliver-dabo-swinney-pizza-promise

It'll be interesting to see how Clemson does going forward and whether this giant pizza party will happen or not .... stay tuned. ;) . :)

Interesting choice. Haven't personally watched enough of their games to get a good feel for his efficacy as a HC and how well his methods would translate to the NFL - but do know he's a fiery one that takes no prisoners. Here's a recent article (with video) that provides a tidbit of insight on that.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/24/9607924/dabo-swinney-lectures-clemson-tigers-at-midfield
The Tigers' head coach was angry about trash-talking and pregame fighting.

You would think that a 42-point halftime lead would make Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney happy with his team.

You would be wrong.

Following a pregame shoving match between Clemson and Miami and a first half filled with trash talk between the teams, Swinney kept his team on the field.

And then Dabo let loose on his displeasure with his team's extracurricular activities.

The team then left for the locker room. ABC's Chris Spielman, calling the game, said Swinney went on to tell his team that it was one of the best halves of football he'd seen.

Somebody I know is an ex-Tiger (before Dabo's time) and of course still an avid Clemson fan. If I think about it, next time I see him, will get his take on the thought.

I do know he played (walk-on that earned a scholarship for 3 years) and coached at 'Bama (started coaching under Stallings) - so there's some decent pedigree in that regard.

Totally Bolted
11-12-2015, 02:06 PM
I'd like to see Roman finally get a shot. My only caveat is I think the bolts need some experience. Another rookie HC seems riskier.

ClemsonCharger
11-12-2015, 02:35 PM

I love Dabo to death but in regards to coaching in the NFL I'm not too sure if he'd be a fit. He's more of a motivator and CEO type head coach, and his most successful seasons have come after he hired excellent offensive and defensive coordinators (ie Brent Venables as DC and Chad Morris as OC a few years back, promoting Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott to co OC this year). Granted it might work, but after watching Clemson play the last few years, he's pretty much hands off in terms of play calling and I'm not sure how his style of motivation would translate to the NFL.

Either way its an interesting choice and I'm really just looking at selfish reasons why I'd want him to stay with my alma mater.

In terms of candidates I'd be interested in, I think Hue Jackson would be at the top of my list.

Chargerfreak
11-12-2015, 02:37 PM
I love Dabo to death but in regards to coaching in the NFL I'm not too sure if he'd be a fit. He's more of a motivator and CEO type head coach, and his most successful seasons have come after he hired excellent offensive and defensive coordinators (ie Brent Venables as DC and Chad Morris as OC a few years back, promoting Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott to co OC this year). Granted it might work, but after watching Clemson play the last few years, he's pretty much hands off in terms of play calling and I'm not sure how his style of motivation would translate to the NFL.

Either way its an interesting choice and I'm really just looking at selfish reasons why I'd want him to stay with my alma mater.

In terms of candidates I'd be interested in, I think Hue Jackson would be at the top of my list.

Oh, we have no problem with him bring his staff with him. No problem at all................

Da_Cha-gers
11-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Interesting choice. Haven't personally watched enough of their games to get a good feel for his efficacy as a HC and how well his methods would translate to the NFL - but do know he's a fiery one that takes no prisoners. Here's a recent article (with video) that provides a tidbit of insight on that.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/24/9607924/dabo-swinney-lectures-clemson-tigers-at-midfield

Somebody I know is an ex-Tiger (before Dabo's time) and of course still an avid Clemson fan. If I think about it, next time I see him, will get his take on the thought.

I do know he played (walk-on that earned a scholarship for 3 years) and coached at 'Bama (started coaching under Stallings) - so there's some decent pedigree in that regard.

Thanks for that link, most coaches would likely be happy their putting a beat down on Miami or whoever at the half, Dabo didn't like what he saw and let his team know.

I'm not real familiar with him honestly yr in yr out, I've seen a couple games this yr, I don't know how he'd do at the next level, but think he's interesting.

He can get pretty fired up, here's a youtube video from after they beat Notre Dame that's worth checking out, in it he mentions BYOG - Bring Your Own Guts ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYgAfgoVQo

Also on the sideline I noticed this last week, they have a "get back coach" who pulls a coach back who's too close to the field which was interesting to see ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dWWatbSxKQ

Again, at this time not wanting to see MM fired, just thought I'd throw Dabo Swinney's name out there as he's done a pretty darn good job @ Clemson.

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Definitely don't want him here, but anyways - what makes anyone think he would want to come to the Chargers after winning SB's with the Giants and being over age 70. It will be time for him to retire.

ClemsonCharger
11-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Oh, we have no problem with him bring his staff with him. No problem at all................

They'd definitely bring an intensity and fire that's been lacking for the Chargers as of late. They have a guy on the staff whose job during the games is to hold Venables back from running to far onto the field because he's always so fired up.

Here's a vid if anyone's interested:

Chargerfreak
11-12-2015, 02:47 PM
They'd definitely bring an intensity and fire that's been lacking for the Chargers as of late. They have a guy on the staff whose job during the games is to hold Venables back from running to far onto the field because he's always so fired up.

Here's a vid if anyone's interested:

That's what I'm talking about.

Da_Cha-gers
11-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Thanks for sharing, as a Clemson fan you probably know WAY MORE about him than I do .... I honestly don't know how he'd do as an NFL HC, just wanted to throw his name out there along with others that have been mentioned. ;)

Looking forward to see how they do the rest of the way and if they have that big pizza party he mentioned. :)

DefenseWins
11-12-2015, 02:51 PM
He can get pretty fired up, here's a youtube video from after they beat Notre Dame that's worth checking out, in it he mentions BYOG - Bring Your Own Guts ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYgAfgoVQo
That was one of the games I did see this year - and saw that post game interview. To be honest it didn't come to mind though when responding (for some reason I was thinking that was another team's coach :o)

AirJackson83
11-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Sean Payton please

Yes. Yes. and Yes. I would really like a loud defensive minded coach but I'll take him if he's available.

21and500
11-12-2015, 03:46 PM
coach matty P from NE is going to make a elite HC for years to come for some lucky club.

he isn't like other belichik disciples, he's smart, obsessed with working and winning.

he's learning from the best in the business and unlike mcdummy, isn't jumping at the first shot at a HC gig.

he knows how to manage players and will always have defensive solutions to whatever comes up (injuries).

now for the short-term (rivers' career) I would have just as much confidence in hue Jackson, his only problems have been other people getting in his way.

id give them 100% of the reigns and not look back for at least 3 years.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 04:18 PM
coach matty P from NE is going to make a elite HC for years to come for some lucky club.

he isn't like other belichik disciples, he's smart, obsessed with working and winning.

he's learning from the best in the business and unlike mcdummy, isn't jumping at the first shot at a HC gig.

he knows how to manage players and will always have defensive solutions to whatever comes up (injuries).

now for the short-term (rivers' career) I would have just as much confidence in hue Jackson, his only problems have been other people getting in his way.

id give them 100% of the reigns and not look back for at least 3 years.

I wouldn't give Jackson 100 % of the reigns. Last time he had carte blanche, he traded two first round picks for Carson Palmer.

DillonSD
11-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Things I desire in a new Chargers Head Coach:

- A coach who actually utilizes the fullback position.

- A coach who is will to risk losing a game in order to win a game.

- A coach who does not have a predictable play calling scheme.

As I see it, we have lacked these 3 things since Norv Turner, and things have not changed one bit during Mike McCoy's tenure.

NoMoreChillies
11-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Dabo as HC and Whiz as OC?

i could see it working

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 05:11 PM
I just came across this article from CBS about which type of coach has the most success. I linked it below, but if you don't want to read it, retreads have made the biggest improvement to new teams that they're taking over. College coaches also make a larger positive impact than coordinators or positional coaches (goes against conventional wisdom, but also with only an 11 coach sample size).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24921892/nfl-coaching-carousel-which-coaching-archetype-fares-best

21and500
11-12-2015, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't give Jackson 100 % of the reigns. Last time he had carte blanche, he traded two first round picks for Carson Palmer.

That's true and it was a big flop.

But to his credit, he was desperate for competency at the position and looking at palmer now (years later) the move for the player doesn't look bad, arguably at the least. If hue was still in Oakland and if palmer was still able to play at the level he is, i would imagine a carr sitting behind palmer for years and just starting at qb this year. Just trying to argue that the move to get palmer in hindsight isn't as bad as we remember.

And giving 100% control IS a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but with this ownership, I'd lean more that way than 50/50 or whatever we claim to do.

21and500
11-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Dabo as HC and Whiz as OC?

i could see it working

Well shoot, if we bring in wiz as OC and make no other changes, i can MAYBE see that working because it HAS. Wouldn't call it ideal, because I'm very on board with mccoy needing to be replaced, but it worked in 2013 so that gives me hope.

Only thing I'd be concerned with is if we make the playoffs, will wiz be concerned about his job or interviewing for a hc position. Just wondering if that was the case in 2013.

NEWBY
11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
MATT PATRICIA! But I don't think he'll leave the Patriots....

Ya know, the question is, does anyone want to come to the Chargers? If the word is out that the ownership doesn't appreciate hard nosed, hard driving coaches, or that the ownership doesn't support this type of approach, then why would this type of coach agree to come to the Chargers under the Spanos' ownership?

21and500
11-12-2015, 05:34 PM
I just came across this article from CBS about which type of coach has the most success. I linked it below, but if you don't want to read it, retreads have made the biggest improvement to new teams that they're taking over. College coaches also make a larger positive impact than coordinators or positional coaches (goes against conventional wisdom, but also with only an 11 coach sample size).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24921892/nfl-coaching-carousel-which-coaching-archetype-fares-best

The success of retreads tells me that they've learned from their initial hc experience. Like any other difficult job, experience tends to help improve performance. Which would also make sense for thise coaches that seem to never get fired and stay with the club and actually get better, bill cowher comes to mind, there were some pretty miserable playoff experiences early in his career, so fitting that he's a marty disciple. I think marty would have had at least one superbowl w if any of his clubs rode it out with him.

21and500
11-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Ya know, the question is, does anyone want to come to the Chargers? If the word is out that the ownership doesn't appreciate hard nosed, hard driving coaches, or that the ownership doesn't support this type of approach, then why would this type of coach agree to come to the Chargers under the Spanos' ownership?

I have no doubt about it.
The nfl is about circles and circles within circles.
Matt looks to be doing the right thing and ride out the brady train as long as he can all the while looking for the right opportunity that might come up.

In fact, hate to admit this but, as high as i am on him now, id be less so if he actually interviewed with us this offseason.

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Here are the previous stops of Super Bowl winning coaches going back a number of years:

-Belichick: Head Coach, DEF, 3rd X 4
-Pete Carroll: College HC, DEF, 3rd
-John Harbaugh: Coordinator, ST, 1st
-Tom Coughlin: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd X 2
-Mike McCarthy: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Sean Payton: Asst. HC, OFF, 1st
-Mike Tomlin: Coordinator, DEF, 1st
-Tony Dungy: Head Coach, DEF, 2nd
-Bill Cowher: Coordinator, DEF, 1st
-John Gruden: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd
-Brian Billick: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Dick Vermeil: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd
-Mike Shanahan: Coordinator, OFF, 2nd X 2
-Mike Holmgren: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Barry Switzer: College HC, OFF, 1st
-George Seifert: Coordinator, DEF, 1st X 2
-Jimmy Johnson: College HC, DEF, 1st X 2
-Joe Gibbs: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Bill Parcells: Coordinator, DEF, 1st

The breakdown:

-HC: 9
-Coordinator: 13
-College:4

-OFF: 12
-DEF: 13
-ST: 1

-1st: 14
-Mult: 12

So what does that tell us? Not a whole lot. Maybe just that there isn't really an archetype for the successful NFL head coach.

LongTimeOCBolts
11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
So what does that tell us? Not a whole lot. Maybe just that there isn't really an archetype for the successful NFL head coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwbfAcZGdc

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Surprising that the college coaches have more success when coming to the NFL but you think that could be attributed to being able to connect more with the players? especially the younger ones? No surprise that OC coaches rank 2nd to last but the list somewhat makes sense.

Active Coaches Only
Success = .500 or above during their total tenure
Failure = Lower than .500 during their total tenure

DC Coordinators who have found success on their team:
2015: Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio (also a former HC)
2014: Mike Zimmerman
2013: Andy Reid

OC Coordinators who have found success on their team:
2015: Gary Kubiak
2014: Jim Caldwell (.500), Bill O'Brien (.500)
2013: Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians

DC Coordinators who have failed to find success on their team:
2015: N/A
2014: Mike Pettine, Lovie Smith, Gus Bradley
2013: N/A

OC Coordinators who have failed to find success on their team:
2015: John Fox
2014: Jay Gruden

Take this as you will, I was just bored and wanted to do some research although I didn't really add former head coaches or positional coaches. It would just add more confusion possibly. For example Kubiak and Del Rio were both coordinators last year but head coaches prior as well.

Edit: My information may be flawed; I may have missed something but let me know

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Here are the previous stops of Super Bowl winning coaches going back a number of years:

-Belichick: Head Coach, DEF, 3rd X 4
-Pete Carroll: College HC, DEF, 3rd
-John Harbaugh: Coordinator, ST, 1st
-Tom Coughlin: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd X 2
-Mike McCarthy: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Sean Payton: Asst. HC, OFF, 1st
-Mike Tomlin: Coordinator, DEF, 1st
-Tony Dungy: Head Coach, DEF, 2nd
-Bill Cowher: Coordinator, DEF, 1st
-John Gruden: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd
-Brian Billick: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Dick Vermeil: Head Coach, OFF, 2nd
-Mike Shanahan: Coordinator, OFF, 2nd X 2
-Mike Holmgren: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Barry Switzer: College HC, OFF, 1st
-George Seifert: Coordinator, DEF, 1st X 2
-Jimmy Johnson: College HC, DEF, 1st X 2
-Joe Gibbs: Coordinator, OFF, 1st
-Bill Parcells: Coordinator, DEF, 1st

The breakdown:

-HC: 9
-Coordinator: 13
-College:4

-OFF: 12
-DEF: 13
-ST: 1

-1st: 14
-Mult: 12

How long did it take you to do that research? I feel like i just spent an hour on mine but it was a lot shorter than that. Not sure if there's a trend but appreciate the work sir... :Cheers:

Kemp17
11-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Surprising that the college coaches have more success when coming to the NFL but you think that could be attributed to being able to connect more with the players? especially the younger ones? No surprise that OC coaches rank 2nd to last but the list somewhat makes sense.

Active Coaches Only
Success = .500 or above during their total tenure
Failure = Lower than .500 during their total tenure

DC Coordinators who have found success on their team:
2015: Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio (also a former HC)
2014: Mike Zimmerman
2013: Andy Reid

OC Coordinators who have found success on their team:
2015: Gary Kubiak
2014: Jim Caldwell (.500), Bill O'Brien (.500)
2013: Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians

DC Coordinators who have failed to find success on their team:
2015: N/A
2014: Mike Pettine, Lovie Smith, Gus Bradley

OC Coordinators who have failed to find success on their team:
2015: John Fox
2014: Jay Gruden

Take this as you will, I was just bored and wanted to do some research although I didn't really add former head coaches or positional coaches. It would just add more confusion possibly. For example Kubiak and Del Rio were both coordinators last year but head coaches prior as well.

More research is always good.

Andy Reid has an offensive background. Also Ryan, Kubiak, Reid, Caldwell, Smith, and Fox are all formerly head coaches as well.

Va Bolt
11-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I just think a coach like Coughlin is what this team needs. Coughlin paired with a gifted OC would be great for this team. (granted he's old and a New York guy).

You would be straight dumb to not give McDaniel another shot as a HC in this league... I'm willing to bet he has matured since the Denver debacle.

I like your thinking,
If we want a HC that can get the best out of our offense and Rivers. We should be all over McD!

R4PT0R
11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
If we can't get Sean Payton, I'd be okay with a college coach. Someone like the coach from Stanford, maybe Clemson... excellent programs and great tough coaches. With some backbone. We need some backbone badly.

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
More research is always good.

Andy Reid has an offensive background. Also Ryan, Kubiak, Reid, Caldwell, Smith, and Fox are all formerly head coaches as well.

Yea, but i feel like it's easier to break it down to coordinators. Personally, when I look for a head coach, I would want to factor in if he is offensive minded or defensive minded. Hence why I didn't make a category for Head coaches. But again like you said, not sure what type of trend we can look at but I just want a defensive minded coach to take the reigns. See what a change in that type of culture can do.

DieHardCharge
11-12-2015, 05:55 PM
I like your thinking,
If we want a HC that can get the best out of our offense and Rivers. We should be all over McD!

The problem isn't our offense though. Sure we struggle but if anything we just need the pieces to fall back into place. It's our defense not being able to make a stop at the most critical times. I believe that's what seperates the contenders from pretenders.

chopper31
11-12-2015, 07:48 PM
My short list, in no particular order:

Greg Roman, OC, Bills: The other coordinator of the Jim Harbaugh 49ers, Roman has coached in the NFL off and on since 1995. The success of offenses at Stanford and SF was difficult to attribute to him as he was working under an offensive minded head coach. However, his stint under Rex Ryan in Buffalo has allowed him to demonstrate his abilities to elevate players. The Tyrod Taylor led Buffalo Bills have been a very capable offensive unit, exceeding 26 points per game without an abundance of proven talent on the roster. And those numbers are even skewed negatively by a stint where they were forced to use E.J. Manuel.

I'm glad that everyone is getting a chance to see the Bills Offense in action tonight. As someone who has watched all but one of their games this season, I have a different opinion on potentially wanting Roman as our HC.

First of all, Tyrod basically completes a bunch of very short passes (albeit at a high completion %) and usually ends up having to pick up a lot of critical 1st downs with his legs (many times unplanned). He's also connected on a couple surprise deep passes this year. Overall though, he's pretty much a game manager with scrambling abilities (kinda like Alex Smith).

The running game has been interesting, because LeSean McCoy has been largely disappointing, but the backups (and Tyrod) have shined, making them a top 5 rushing offense.

As far as EJ Manuel skewing the numbers, they averaged 26 PPG during his 2 games, despite losing both games. In comparison, the previous 2 outings with Taylor at the helm, they scored 10 and 14 points in those games. The opponents were the Titans and Giants.

I think a lot of the numbers that look impressive can be attributed to the defense and ST's setting up favorable field position, as well as just playing a relatively easy schedule thus far (yes, I am aware they played the Bengals and Pats)

ShockTreatment
11-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Sean Payton, bring back whiz as OC.

chargertom
11-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Billy Ray Smith as the HC, and Hacksaw as the OC.

Touchdown Chargers .....

REACT SAN DIEGO!!!!!

Raider Disliker
11-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Billy Ray Smith as the HC, and Hacksaw as the OC.

Touchdown Chargers .....

REACT SAN DIEGO!!!!!

If we are going to go down the road of the absurd, Billy Ray Smith as placekicker (he's a pretty good barefoot kicker); Billy Joe Tolliver as Quarterbacks Coach / Offensive Coordinator; and somebody from completely outside of football as head coach; I would suggest Carly Fiorina -- one scary individual, and not afraid to fire people.

21and500
11-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Marty Hc

LT oc

:)

I AMazing I
11-12-2015, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with an elite college coach, who coaches a pro style system. Coordinators scare me bc there is a big difference between calling plays and being responsible for managing a team, other coaches, etc...

Obviously a proven HC is ideal, but anyone that would be available is obviously available for a reason.

LongTimeOCBolts
11-12-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm glad that everyone is getting a chance to see the Bills Offense in action tonight. As someone who has watched all but one of their games this season, I have a different opinion on potentially wanting Roman as our HC.

First of all, Tyrod basically completes a bunch of very short passes (albeit at a high completion %) and usually ends up having to pick up a lot of critical 1st downs with his legs (many times unplanned). He's also connected on a couple surprise deep passes this year. Overall though, he's pretty much a game manager with scrambling abilities (kinda like Alex Smith).

The running game has been interesting, because LeSean McCoy has been largely disappointing, but the backups (and Tyrod) have shined, making them a top 5 rushing offense.

As far as EJ Manuel skewing the numbers, they averaged 26 PPG during his 2 games, despite losing both games. In comparison, the previous 2 outings with Taylor at the helm, they scored 10 and 14 points in those games. The opponents were the Titans and Giants.

I think a lot of the numbers that look impressive can be attributed to the defense and ST's setting up favorable field position, as well as just playing a relatively easy schedule thus far (yes, I am aware they played the Bengals and Pats)

TL;DR. :LightsOut:

chopper31
11-12-2015, 09:15 PM
TL;DR. :LightsOut:

Good call, since I completely made all that stuff up.

That is what we're supposed to do in a "troll thread", right ? ;)

BoltBacker4Life
11-12-2015, 11:37 PM
For what it's worth, my brother has been a die hard 49er fan for 32 years, he's told me that Roman would be the worst HC of all time

HeadTrip
11-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Do you think his stint with the Browns was merely because of the lack of talent there? I like what he did against Denver but I'm not sure him as a head coach would sit well with me. As an offensive coordinator... maybe...

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-release-their-first-depth-chart-of-2013-1.418572

There's an early version of their depth chart I was able to find. Suffice to say the Weeden/Campbell and Richarson Browns were not a stacked team. I don't think more than a handful of coaches could have done better. Chud got Al Davis'd, Cleveland style. I'm very interested to see what he can do with the Colts the rest of the way.

Clint Beastwood
11-13-2015, 12:27 AM
HC: Marty

OC: Norv

DC: Chuck Pagano

And the CMB implodes....

ElectroAsada
11-13-2015, 12:48 AM

And the CMB implodes....

Only one can dream...

I AMazing I
11-13-2015, 12:56 AM
If Norv comes back on this team in any capacity I'm going to join the task force to personally escort the Chargers to Carson.

HeadTrip
11-13-2015, 12:56 AM

And the CMB implodes....

Wanna see the CMB implode?

HC- Alex Spanos

OC- Dean Spanos

DC- John Spanos

HeadTrip
11-13-2015, 12:57 AM
If Norv comes back on this team in any capacity I'm going to join the task force to personally escort the Chargers to Carson.

If he relieves MM in any capacity I'll buy a Norv jersey.

LT21UK
11-13-2015, 02:37 AM
I feel we need an experienced head coach, after the disaster that has been Mike McCoy. But with our budget, we'll be picking up average to poor coaches, that have been fired from other teams, or haven't found work for a reason.

So with that said. I'd take a gamble on a co-ordinator, that has a bit of experience. I'm not too clued up when it comes to coaches, so won't pretend I know what I am on about. But from the little research I have done and what I have read here. I think Hue Jackson fits the bill.

I'm in favour of a complete overhaul. Even positional coaches need to be held accountable for some of the junk we have served up. I even lean towards getting shot of TT as well. Not sure I trust him to strengthen properly, even with a great draft position.

NEWBY
11-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Wanna see the CMB implode?

HC- Alex Spanos

OC- Dean Spanos

DC- John Spanos

Funny. As if it isn't that way now.

ShowYourBolts
11-13-2015, 05:11 AM
people want Payton?

I certainly don't.

I AMazing I
11-13-2015, 06:45 AM
There is a long list of great coordinators that make terrible coaches, so while Patricia and Jackson seem like great candidates, that red flag needs to be considered.

woodeye2000
11-13-2015, 07:07 AM
The coaching carousel is so serendipitous.
Try MN as HC w/a "Peppy" OC.

who?

ShowYourBolts
11-13-2015, 07:11 AM
There is a long list of great coordinators that make terrible coaches, so while Patricia and Jackson seem like great candidates, that red flag needs to be considered.

Except that Jackson has been a HC and did a pretty good job in a completely dysfunctional situation.

Boltup90
11-13-2015, 07:21 AM
My signature.

midnight
11-13-2015, 08:47 AM
How about giving Mike Singletary another chance since these guys need someone to yell at them. J.K but wouldn't mind having him on the staff somewhere and maybe yell at D. Butler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5-yJM3vJc

florida SD fan
11-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Rumors that dick Lebeau will leave at end of season. I wouldn't mind giving whiz another shot since most of the offense is familiar with him. He may also bring Lebeau as DC. Who has done a great job with Titians.

Jay Gruden could also be available.

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 09:37 AM
I just read through this entire thread......and found no reference to a couple key aspects of any new HC.

1) Is he (new HC) a Spanos kind of guy ?

2) How well would this new HC interact with TT ?

Question one is all about Ownership, and the significant amount of family involved in day to day activity of the team. Are there solid lines denoting responsibilities, or are the lines blurred when a Spanos is involved. My guess is top shelf candidates would be wary if the lines are blurred.....

Question two is all about my perception that there has been poor communication between MM and TT about talent evaluation of the roster, and the needs. In other words, TT thinks the roster needs XX, and goes and gets it. While MM thinks the roster needs YY, and TT won't get it for him.

I could clearly be wrong on all......

chazdawg35
11-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Jon Gruden or maybe Jay

florida SD fan
11-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I just read through this entire thread......and found no reference to a couple key aspects of any new HC.

1) Is he (new HC) a Spanos kind of guy ?

2) How well would this new HC interact with TT ?

Question one is all about Ownership, and the significant amount of family involved in day to day activity of the team. Are there solid lines denoting responsibilities, or are the lines blurred when a Spanos is involved. My guess is top shelf candidates would be wary if the lines are blurred.....

Question two is all about my perception that there has been poor communication between MM and TT about talent evaluation of the roster, and the needs. In other words, TT thinks the roster needs XX, and goes and gets it. While MM thinks the roster needs YY, and TT won't get it for him.

I could clearly be wrong on all......

Our best ever HC did not work well with anyone not coaching. That was Marty. Do you think guys like Shananhan and Belicheck ask what the GM wants? No GM should get what the coach wants

Rex wanted to keep Revis and Cro, GM let them go and Rex go. They got really bad and got Revis and Cro back.

coach14
11-13-2015, 12:31 PM
If the Chargers follow their pattern, they will either:

1. Do nothing and use the injuries as a reason to let McCoy have another few years
2. Hire another unproven coordinator that is an offensive minded guy

Amped
11-13-2015, 12:44 PM
is Norv Available? :Cheers:

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Our best ever HC did not work well with anyone not coaching. That was Marty. Do you think guys like Shananhan and Belicheck ask what the GM wants? No GM should get what the coach wants

Rex wanted to keep Revis and Cro, GM let them go and Rex go. They got really bad and got Revis and Cro back.

The bold above is 'your perception' being presented as a fact.

'Best ever' is a matter of deciding a set of prerequisites, and everyone will have their own distinct set. For me, it is 'only' about getting to the Championship Game.....nothing else matters. Others will site win/loss record as the basis.

I believe for success to occur it is inherent to have a common understanding of each players strengths and weaknesses, as well as roster needs, between GM and HC. I am uncertain if there is a lack of understanding between TT and MM, but there seems to be dysfunction in roster management with the Bolts. Drafting also seems to be at odds with team needs, which makes me wonder if it isn't a TT/MM issue, but rather a 'too many Spanos' involved in the decisions' issue.

I would be stunned if a Belichick was not in complete sync with Ownership/Team Management on just about all personnel moves.

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 12:51 PM
is Norv Available? :Cheers:

Norv wouldn't come back if asked......

charger1_sj
11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
The bold above is 'your perception' being presented as a fact.

'Best ever' is a matter of deciding a set of prerequisites, and everyone will have their own distinct set. For me, it is 'only' about getting to the Championship Game.....nothing else matters. Others will site win/loss record as the basis.

I believe for success to occur it is inherent to have a common understanding of each players strengths and weaknesses, as well as roster needs, between GM and HC. I am uncertain if there is a lack of understanding between TT and MM, but there seems to be dysfunction in roster management with the Bolts. Drafting also seems to be at odds with team needs, which makes me wonder if it isn't a TT/MM issue, but rather a 'too many Spanos' involved in the decisions' issue.

I would be stunned if a Belichick was not in complete sync with Ownership/Team Management on just about all personnel moves.

I don't think this is correct. We needed O line help and TT brought it in through FA. Mathews left and we needed a RB, he drafted one. Some people don't like the trade up etc. But TT did address the need. We needed help on the D side of the ball. Besides Gordon our draft went heavy on D.
Therefore we did address most of the needs.

Problem is injuries wrecked the O line and our running game including Gordon. The one area TT didn't address properly was the D line and that came back to bite us big time. We still lack talent on D. Attouchu and Ingram are still developing. Only Luiget, Weddle and Verrett would start an any NFL decent D. So we still have a huge problem on D.

SD SneakKing
11-13-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't think this is correct. We needed O line help and TT brought it in through FA. Mathews left and we needed a RB, he drafted one. Some people don't like the trade up etc. But TT did address the need. We needed help on the D side of the ball. Besides Gordon our draft went heavy on D.

Problem is injuries wrecked the O line and our running game including Gordon. The one area TT didn't address properly was the D line and that came back to bite us big time. We still lack talent on D. Attouchu and Ingram are still developing. Only Luiget, Weddle and Verrett would start an any NFL decent D. So we still have a huge problem on D.

I agree that we have some huge holes on Defense. We need better LB core, a CB to replace Flowers, a safety to possibly replace Weddle, and even Addae isn't great. And of course we need serious beef at the line.
I would say that Patrick Robinson has been pretty good in addition to those you mentioned though. I'd say about half our starting defense isn't cutting it when healthy.

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 01:18 PM

TT's draft was a failure......his efforts in signing FA's was not nearly as bad.

Dunlap and Franklin were solid moves in addressing the o-line issues through FA's. There were still huge issues with the o-line.

Getting happy feet and trading away a 4th to move up two spots to draft Gordon was beyond stupid (really worried that this was TT's decision) when you consider the lack of talent on the roster. Sit at 15th (or whatever it was) and take a DE (or any number of other options) in the 1st. Then go O-line in the 2nd, and get your RB in the 3rd (plenty still available IIRC). Go O-line again in the magical 4th.....building some developmental depth in the biggest area of need seems wise to me.

The players chosen were solid picks as far as talent goes, or they look promising. The issue is they are picks a team with a significantly more talented roster would be making, as they are players that wouldn't be expected to contribute much right off. (Gordon being the exception perhaps, but not with that o-line)

21and500
11-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Rumors that dick Lebeau will leave at end of season. I wouldn't mind giving whiz another shot since most of the offense is familiar with him. He may also bring Lebeau as DC. Who has done a great job with Titians.

Jay Gruden could also be available.

id be okay with Wiz and Lebeau.
at least they have proven successful, which would be the "safer" route than what we chose to do with MM and FR

perryao
11-13-2015, 02:11 PM

He wasn't the HC here. And there was criticism of him as OC. Remember the Washington game?

perryao
11-13-2015, 02:12 PM
There has been quite a bit of talk regarding the need to fire McCoy and potentially the majority of the coaching staff. Plenty of people have been discussing potential replacements here and there. So this is a thread meant to localize that talk. Who do you like out there?

Fire McCoy. Then hire him back. Dude deserves another year, imo.

21and500
11-13-2015, 02:24 PM
from nfl.com

1) Peyton's presence looms. Most believe Peyton Manning (http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/profile) will hang 'em up after this season. Well, there's also a widely held assumption in NFL circles that -- with all the turnover expected to come across the league in January -- Manning could well re-emerge as a leading executive in 2016. The most bandied about landing spots are Cleveland (because of Manning's relationship with Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) owner/University of Tennessee booster Jimmy Haslam) and Tennessee (because of Manning's connections to the university, and his wife's presence as part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies), with Indianapolis (his longtime home) and New Orleans (his native soil) not to be completely discounted. The larger question here is how effective an ex-player can be moving quickly into a powerful decision-making role. It has worked in the NBA and MLB, but there's not as much history with it in football. In fact, the place where it's worked best might be where Manning is now: Denver. And so I dug back into my notes and through a conversation I had with Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) president Joe Ellis shortly after John Elway was hired as executive vice president of football operations back in 2011. "I think the biggest thing that needed to be fixed was football leadership," Ellis told me then. "We had a void in that area. We needed someone who had the right competitive fire, who could draw respect, and come in and oversee all of football for Pat Bowlen. You can have a strong head coach, or a strong general manager, and have them report directly to the owner. That can be successful. But this is the way we're going." Elway, for his part, wasn't as inexperienced as Manning would be. The Bronco legend ran Denver's Arena Football League franchise for a time, served as a consultant to Bowlen in the five years leading up to his hire, and brought business experience from his chain of car dealerships. But it does seem that some of the things that the Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) wanted in Elway -- see: football leadership -- Manning might be able to bring. One key for Manning, of course, would be an ability to "know what you don't know," something Elway showed in learning the scouting side of the business. But it's easy to figure someone with Manning's football acumen would be able to figure things out on the fly, so long as the right structure existed around him. And it's equally simple to see why, like Elway was for Denver, Manning might be an enticing risk for someone.

how about it fellas? Peyton Williams Manning as "executive"??

Kemp17
11-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Fire McCoy. Then hire him back. Dude deserves another year, imo.

Different perspectives I guess. I haven't seen any development in the visible elements of the job, e.g. game management, player development, schematic advantages, etc. If anything, he seems to be regressing. I'm out on McCoy. 3 seasons is adequate to get a fair opinion.

AFBoltFan
11-13-2015, 04:30 PM
from nfl.com

1) Peyton's presence looms. Most believe Peyton Manning (http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/profile) will hang 'em up after this season. Well, there's also a widely held assumption in NFL circles that -- with all the turnover expected to come across the league in January -- Manning could well re-emerge as a leading executive in 2016. The most bandied about landing spots are Cleveland (because of Manning's relationship with Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) owner/University of Tennessee booster Jimmy Haslam) and Tennessee (because of Manning's connections to the university, and his wife's presence as part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies), with Indianapolis (his longtime home) and New Orleans (his native soil) not to be completely discounted. The larger question here is how effective an ex-player can be moving quickly into a powerful decision-making role. It has worked in the NBA and MLB, but there's not as much history with it in football. In fact, the place where it's worked best might be where Manning is now: Denver. And so I dug back into my notes and through a conversation I had with Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) president Joe Ellis shortly after John Elway was hired as executive vice president of football operations back in 2011. "I think the biggest thing that needed to be fixed was football leadership," Ellis told me then. "We had a void in that area. We needed someone who had the right competitive fire, who could draw respect, and come in and oversee all of football for Pat Bowlen. You can have a strong head coach, or a strong general manager, and have them report directly to the owner. That can be successful. But this is the way we're going." Elway, for his part, wasn't as inexperienced as Manning would be. The Bronco legend ran Denver's Arena Football League franchise for a time, served as a consultant to Bowlen in the five years leading up to his hire, and brought business experience from his chain of car dealerships. But it does seem that some of the things that the Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) wanted in Elway -- see: football leadership -- Manning might be able to bring. One key for Manning, of course, would be an ability to "know what you don't know," something Elway showed in learning the scouting side of the business. But it's easy to figure someone with Manning's football acumen would be able to figure things out on the fly, so long as the right structure existed around him. And it's equally simple to see why, like Elway was for Denver, Manning might be an enticing risk for someone.

how about it fellas? Peyton Williams Manning as "executive"??

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtzj90PPtYpMXKCD_gJ2uOaECqKMtjm bx32or_HMx5-Br0L5f9Uw

perryao
11-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Different perspectives I guess. I haven't seen any development in the visible elements of the job, e.g. game management, player development, schematic advantages, etc. If anything, he seems to be regressing. I'm out on McCoy. 3 seasons is adequate to get a fair opinion.

I think, with what he has, he's done all he can schematically. Player development for the Charger, by necessity due to injuries, has been like teaching you kid to swim by throwing him in the pool and yelling "swim". Game management has improved a bit, imo.

I just think it wouldn't be fair to the man. I think a change may end up working out but even if it did I don't think it means MM wouldn't have succeeded.

We'll see.

Kemp17
11-13-2015, 08:40 PM
I think, with what he has, he's done all he can schematically. Player development for the Charger, by necessity due to injuries, has been like teaching you kid to swim by throwing him in the pool and yelling "swim". Game management has improved a bit, imo.

I just think it wouldn't be fair to the man. I think a change may end up working out but even if it did I don't think it means MM wouldn't have succeeded.

We'll see.

I don't believe any team who is as disastrously ineffective as the Chargers are at running the football are doing all they can schematically. It's just not a priority and it needs to be.

And injuries aside, it's often been guys who are supposed to be starting making the stupid, undisciplined plays. Stevie Johnson and DJ Fluker. Some of that is going to happen, but it totally characterizes this team and that reflects on the leadership. They find creative ways to lose. We are also getting hints that the young guys aren't putting in the work. That they don't want to give the extra time and effort. If that's true, it would seem that elements of his locker room don't have respect for or belief in him and his vision for the team.

How would you say he's improved as a game manager?

If this team were starting over at QB and looking for the next one, I'd be more inclined towards a 4th year and continuity. But we are essentially racing against Rivers' age at this point to get it right and get something done. I believe he's adequately proven that he is not the answer and we don't need to waste another year of Rivers to prove it further.

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 09:04 PM
MM is not the answer as a HC......

TT is certainly looking quite questionable, he could go as well.....

The true problem creating all this dysfunction is the Spanos'......and the Bolts are stuck with them.

DefenseWins
11-13-2015, 09:10 PM
And injuries aside, it's often been guys who are supposed to be starting making the stupid, undisciplined plays. Stevie Johnson and DJ Fluker. Some of that is going to happen, but it totally characterizes this team and that reflects on the leadership. They find creative ways to lose. We are also getting hints that the young guys aren't putting in the work. That they don't want to give the extra time and effort. If that's true, it would seem that elements of his locker room don't have respect for or belief in him and his vision for the team.

Do tell... so list for us all of the "stupid, undisciplined" plays by all the members of the team over the course of the year. While you are at it, define what constitutes one. Or are you allowing your view to be colored by your perceptions of the last game?

frozendisc
11-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Do tell... so list for us all of the "stupid, undisciplined" plays by all the members of the team over the course of the year. While you are at it, define what constitutes one. Or are you allowing your view to be colored by your perceptions of the last game?

The issue is 'Leadership' and this team has lacked it for far too long.

Time to get a HC that has leadership skills in abundance......

Kemp17
11-13-2015, 09:15 PM

I'm talking about how often this team kills its own drives with penalties a la Fluker's ineligible receiver downfield and Johnson's spike. If you haven't noticed penalties being a problem that stall our offense before this last Monday night, then I can't help you. I'm certainly not going to put in the time to compile you a list of something so observably obvious.

DefenseWins
11-13-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm talking about how often this team kills its own drives with penalties a la Fluker's ineligible receiver downfield and Johnson's spike. If you haven't noticed penalties being a problem that stall our offense before this last Monday night, then I can't help you. I'm certainly not going to put in the time to compile you a list of something so observably obvious.
I wouldn't call Fluker's play stupid by any stretch. That aside, the way you wrote it, it came across as you saying they often did it - not as an example of what you were talking about.

What about PR's 9 turnovers? Definitely drive stoppers...3 of which were pick-6s.

BitterFan
11-13-2015, 10:10 PM
We need someone who has been a HC in the NFL before not any college coach, or any coordinators. We don't have time to go through more rookie head coach growing pains. Philip Rivers does not have much time. Spanos has wasted so many years of his career by hiring these OC's who are horrible at coaching.

Get a defensive mind HC as well too and someone who does not put up with anything.

ump51
11-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Sean Payton, bring back whiz as OC.

If they stay in SD, then I'm happy with THIS ^.:Cheers:

If they don't stay in San Diego, then I couldn't care less.

Fully-Charged
11-14-2015, 12:52 AM
1. Hue Jackson
2. Sean McDermott
3. Jim Harbaugh (long shot)
4. Shaw
5. Saban

21and500
11-14-2015, 01:21 AM
1. Hue Jackson
2. Sean McDermott
3. Jim Harbaugh (long shot)
4. Shaw
5. Saban

I'm responding specifically to your number 5. Saban

While I think its a snowballs chance, i also see 2 scenarios in which that could happen... And I'm basing this of the speculation from an indy reporter connecting saban to the colts for what its worth.

If saban were to return to the nfl he would want complete control, didn't have that in Miami, wanted brees, got dante culpepper.

Scenario 1. Chargers become the disney carson chargers and spanos and co. Open up the check book to out bid for saban in a clever marketing strategy

Scenario 2. Chargers get "stuck" in SD and spanos feels pressure to recoup lost fan base by adding a big name guy in saban.

If it ever came to a choice for saban between us and the colts, I really don't see him signing up for rivers' last 3-4 years vs lucks 10+

Would be really interesting to see the second coming of the devil himself.

ShowYourBolts
11-14-2015, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't call Fluker's play stupid by any stretch. That aside, the way you wrote it, it came across as you saying they often did it - not as an example of what you were talking about.

What about PR's 9 turnovers? Definitely drive stoppers...3 of which were pick-6s.

Disagree. Why on earth should he be blocking downfield on a pass play with a QB who doesn't run? I don't fault the effort, but it was not a smart decision given the circumstances.

Chargerfreak
11-14-2015, 04:54 AM

While I think its a snowballs chance, i also see 2 scenarios in which that could happen... And I'm basing this of the speculation from an indy reporter connecting saban to the colts for what its worth.

If saban were to return to the nfl he would want complete control, didn't have that in Miami, wanted brees, got dante culpepper.

Scenario 1. Chargers become the disney carson chargers and spanos and co. Open up the check book to out bid for saban in a clever marketing strategy

Scenario 2. Chargers get "stuck" in SD and spanos feels pressure to recoup lost fan base by adding a big name guy in saban.

If it ever came to a choice for saban between us and the colts, I really don't see him signing up for rivers' last 3-4 years vs lucks 10+

:LightsOut::LightsOut:

Chargerfreak
11-14-2015, 04:58 AM

It would take mega money fo sho.

Saban makes 7 million dollars a year at Alabama. He has more pull than the governor does. Last year a freakin' Booster paid off his 3.1 million dollar house and handed Saban the title to it.

He's got a pretty rough gig there..................

TDOdyssey
11-14-2015, 05:55 AM

http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=4577486&postcount=6295

http://forums.chargers.com/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1984

http://forums.chargers.com/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1983

frozendisc
11-14-2015, 05:57 AM
It would take mega money fo sho.

Saban makes 7 million dollars a year at Alabama. He has more pull than the governor does. Last year a freakin' Booster paid off his 3.1 million dollar house and handed Saban the title to it.

He's got a pretty rough gig there..................

Saban is not leaving Alabama any time soon......

Kemp17
11-14-2015, 06:15 AM

Of course you wouldn't. Weddle's definitely tripping over his own feet out there, but that was a heady play by Fluker. Anyways, your explanation of what you thought makes no sense.

DefenseWins
11-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Disagree. Why on earth should he be blocking downfield on a pass play with a QB who doesn't run? I don't fault the effort, but it was not a smart decision given the circumstances.

Go back and watch the play Sybil... he blocks 2 guys (his man and shoves a 2nd defender as they start across field) and is trying to keep his man off the QB running sideways with him across the field. They started some 5 yards behind the LOS. As they are running the DL is drifting on a slight angle downfield. Fluker is staying with him, hustling and trying to do his job as PR is running out to that side. PR was right at the LOS when he threw it.

Unaware - yes, most definitely. Stupid - nope, have to disagree.

DefenseWins
11-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Of course you wouldn't. Weddle's definitely tripping over his own feet out there, but that was a heady play by Fluker.
It's amazing how you just can't separate anything :crayz:

Anyways, your explanation of what you thought makes no sense.

Here's what you said - how does the perception of what you were saying make "no sense."

And injuries aside, it's often been guys who are supposed to be starting making the stupid, undisciplined plays. Stevie Johnson and DJ Fluker.

woodeye2000
11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
The entire team is under siege. This has a deleterious effect on the play of those who give a damn and try, maybe too hard, to make plays. So DJ, Weddle, Stevie Johnson et al are affected.
Donald Butler, not so much.

perryao
11-14-2015, 08:12 AM
I don't believe any team who is as disastrously ineffective as the Chargers are at running the football are doing all they can schematically. It's just not a priority and it needs to be. McCoy is limited schematically in what he can do with the running game because he can't put PR under center and still have an effective passing game. With all the injuries on the line they simply can't give him enough protection for him to drop back and throw, imo. He's barely getting it off from the shotgun.
And injuries aside, it's often been guys who are supposed to be starting making the stupid, undisciplined plays. Stevie Johnson and DJ Fluker. Some of that is going to happen, but it totally characterizes this team and that reflects on the leadership.Imo, the mistakes that guys like Fluker and SJ make are magnified because there is so little margin for error because the Chargers are playing with so many inexperienced/less talented players. No player is going to play perfectly every game.

And what's McCoy going to do about Fluker and SJ? Sit them? He can't. He has to throw them out there and hope they perform. I don't think he's just letting those mistakes go. He's at least ripping some ass, imo.

Another result of having inexperienced/less talented players playing is the others tend to try to overcompensate which leads to errors in their play. They find creative ways to lose. True. But you can flip it and say they've found creative ways to stay in games they had no business being competitive in. In Baltimore they had 12 men out at one time. Don't remember how many missed the rest of the game. Good grief, not even god belichik himself could have done much better.

We are also getting hints that the young guys aren't putting in the work. That they don't want to give the extra time and effort. If that's true, it would seem that elements of his locker room don't have respect for or belief in him and his vision for the team.
Maybe. Or maybe it's a character flaw and no matter who was running things they'd be doing the same. Again, though, who do they replace these supposed malingerers? Btw, they've been hinting about Ingrahm since his second year. You can see the talent though. It would have been too early to give up on that guy.

If this team were starting over at QB and looking for the next one, I'd be more inclined towards a 4th year and continuity. But we are essentially racing against Rivers' age at this point to get it right and get something done. I believe he's adequately proven that he is not the answer and we don't need to waste another year of Rivers to prove it further.This is a great point and one I hadn't considered. However, it seems that the teams that are the most successful are the ones that stick with an HC. I just think that given the circumstances it's too early to give up on MM. Certainly he doesn't deserve MOST of the vitriol spewed on him here on the CMB.

The crux of the matter is that the Chargers roster is not strong enough to overcome this quantity of injuries. Not many teams are. If the Chargers would have been around the middle of the pack in injuries OR if they'd had a few more breaks (i.e. the stevie Williams pi in Balt- I've seen way worse not called) I think they win at least half of the last six losses and probably more . Dude deserves another year, imo.

Kemp17
11-14-2015, 08:29 AM
It's amazing how you just can't separate anything :crayz:

Here's what you said - how does the perception of what you were saying make "no sense."

Because the way you stated it doesn't make sense. Did you think I was saying that my two examples have been the culprit every single time we've had a drive stalled by a stupid penalty? Do you really need me to explain something so obvious? Or are you just trying to needle whatever I post?

Kemp17
11-14-2015, 08:57 AM
McCoy is limited schematically in what he can do with the running game because he can't put PR under center and still have an effective passing game. With all the injuries on the line they simply can't give him enough protection for him to drop back and throw, imo. He's barely getting it off from the shotgun.
Imo, the mistakes that guys like Fluker and SJ make are magnified because there is so little margin for error because the Chargers are playing with so many inexperienced/less talented players. No player is going to play perfectly every game.

And what's McCoy going to do about Fluker and SJ? Sit them? He can't. He has to throw them out there and hope they perform. I don't think he's just letting those mistakes go. He's at least ripping some ass, imo.

Another result of having inexperienced/less talented players playing is the others tend to try to overcompensate which leads to errors in their play. True. But you can flip it and say they've found creative ways to stay in games they had no business being competitive in. In Baltimore they had 12 men out at one time. Don't remember how many missed the rest of the game. Good grief, not even god belichik himself could have done much better.

Maybe. Or maybe it's a character flaw and no matter who was running things they'd be doing the same. Again, though, who do they replace these supposed malingerers? Btw, they've been hinting about Ingrahm since his second year. You can see the talent though. It would have been too early to give up on that guy.

This is a great point and one I hadn't considered. However, it seems that the teams that are the most successful are the ones that stick with an HC. I just think that given the circumstances it's too early to give up on MM. Certainly he doesn't deserve MOST of the vitriol spewed on him here on the CMB.

The crux of the matter is that the Chargers roster is not strong enough to overcome this quantity of injuries. Not many teams are. If the Chargers would have been around the middle of the pack in injuries OR if they'd had a few more breaks (i.e. the stevie Williams pi in Balt- I've seen way worse not called) I think they win at least half of the last six losses and probably more . Dude deserves another year, imo.

The protection isn't great, but it has stabilized. It's an exaggeration at this point to say that they need to remain in the shotgun so predominantly. I also agree with those who argue that our personnel and scheme aren't very conducive to one another. But most importantly, he doesn't give the players enough reps to get their run fits and become comfortable working together as a unit. Injuries to the line have done him no favors, but he's culpable for a lot of these shortcomings.

Seems like what you're saying is that these players are uncoachable. Which seems quite unlikely to me. Every locker room has a dud or two I'm sure. But that reality certainly doesn't excuse persistently dumb play across this roster. The rate at which we've had drives stall because someone either completely blew their assignment or because of a stupid penalty is far beyond normal.

What I'm hearing in the last bit is that you think if we had an average number of injuries, we'd be ~.500. I agree. That's not good enough. We've had a real chance at that kind of record with all the injuries. McCoy has coached us to 2-7.

woodeye2000
11-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Agree perryao !! Spring Valley native. Way to represent.

What an epic post. Turn ideas that are CMB myopia and dogma on their head.

MM is being stoic, in his milquetoasty kind of way. The captain of our team's ship is leading us through the trouble waters of the Stadium controversy.

The fact is that absolutely none of of us has even a clue as to that exact nature of the Charger lockerroom climate.

The drumbeat of criticism directed at MM is derived of anger, and anger makes you blind.

We need intelligent football takes and smart football ideas around here.

Chargerfreak
11-14-2015, 03:56 PM
McCoy is limited schematically in what he can do with the running game because he can't put PR under center and still have an effective passing game. With all the injuries on the line they simply can't give him enough protection for him to drop back and throw, imo. He's barely getting it off from the shotgun.
Imo, the mistakes that guys like Fluker and SJ make are magnified because there is so little margin for error because the Chargers are playing with so many inexperienced/less talented players. No player is going to play perfectly every game.

Another result of having inexperienced/less talented players playing is the others tend to try to overcompensate which leads to errors in their play. True. But you can flip it and say they've found creative ways to stay in games they had no business being competitive in. In Baltimore they had 12 men out at one time. Don't remember how many missed the rest of the game. Good grief, not even god belichik himself could have done much better.

This is a great point and one I hadn't considered. However, it seems that the teams that are the most successful are the ones that stick with an HC. I just think that given the circumstances it's too early to give up on MM. Certainly he doesn't deserve MOST of the vitriol spewed on him here on the CMB.

You are what your record says you are. 2-7. Overall he is hovering around .500 record. 3 years in, its gotten worse. We can only boo hoo for him for so long. The change is past due. He is not the guy to take us to a SB. Please dispute that. He's not the guy period.

SDCPB
11-14-2015, 04:04 PM
You are what your record says you are. 2-7. Overall he is hovering around .500 record. 3 years in, its gotten worse. We can only boo hoo for him for so long. The change is past due. He is not the guy to take us to a SB. Please dispute that. He's not the guy period.

He's not the real Mccoy.

Va Bolt
11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
He's not the real Mccoy.

love this !!!

DefenseWins
11-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Because the way you stated it doesn't make sense. Did you think I was saying that my two examples have been the culprit every single time we've had a drive stalled by a stupid penalty?

Talk about making no sense... how do you equate the above with what I said?And injuries aside, it's often been guys who are supposed to be starting making the stupid, undisciplined plays. Stevie Johnson and DJ Fluker.
That aside, the way you wrote it, it came across as you saying they often did it - not as an example of what you were talking about.

Kemp17
11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Talk about making no sense... how do you equate the above with what I said?

Either you need the painfully obvious explained for you, or you're being willfully ignorant because you want to pick a fight. Either way I don't have any more time for you.

Chargerfreak
11-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Either you need the painfully obvious explained for you, or you're being willfully ignorant because you want to pick a fight. Either way I don't have any more time for you.

hmmmmmmm......if I laugh at this, Silly will get mad. If I tell you he should ban you, you will get mad. But if you both read the way I wrote this, neither one of you can be mad.

Genius.

frozendisc
11-16-2015, 12:59 PM
hmmmmmmm......if I laugh at this, Silly will get mad. If I tell you he should ban you, you will get mad. But if you both read the way I wrote this, neither one of you can be mad.

Genius.

#freefreaknow

Is it too early for this ?

DefenseWins
11-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Genius.

:mad: Consider yourself banned Freaky one :mad:

DefenseWins
11-16-2015, 04:46 PM

The only thing that is painfully obvious is that you can't see where what you initially said could indicate anything other than what you were thinking - versus what you wrote... and are incapable of simply answering the original question without making it into "a fight" or somehow tying it to your baby chick...

DefenseWins
11-16-2015, 05:49 PM
There were some "votes" for Ryan as a coach...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581284/article/saints-fire-rob-ryan-following-defensive-meltdown
In news that will disappoint fans of long hair, wild passion and small New Orleans dive bars everywhere, Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been let go, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the team's decision. The Saints will promote senior defensive assistant Dennis Allen to defensive coordinator, according to Rapoport.

Ryan, after amassing the No. 4 defense in football back in 2013, embarked on a quest to create the league's most versatile secondary. The Saints inked Jairus Byrd to a lucrative six-year, $54 million deal back in 2014 and handed Brandon Browner a three-year deal in free agency this year, adding him to the mix with first-round pick Kenny Vaccaro at safety.

What ensued, though, was a 2014 where New Orleans ended up with the league's 31st-ranked defense. In 2015, they are dead last.

Sunday's 47-14 blowout loss to the Washington Redskins appeared to be the catalyst. After giving up 324 yards and four touchdowns to Kirk Cousins, the Saints became the first team in NFL history to allow four touchdown passes and no interceptions three weeks in a row (Eli Manning, Marcus Mariota and Cousins). The Saints lost two of those three games.

Though the casual fan will immediately revert to the Rob is overrated and just riding the coattails of his brother and dad refrain, it's important to note that he did have a top-five defense in New Orleans before he was asked to compress his playbook. Ryan was coaching a scheme that was not traditionally his own with a rotating cast of injured players and certain free agents that did not necessarily fit the scheme.

21and500
11-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Anyone else enjoying cinncy s offensive formations tonight??

I bet rivers can run that offense at least twice as better as dalton

All hue.

marion butts
11-16-2015, 06:48 PM

All hue.

if we go offensive guy again, i think i want Hue.

ShowYourBolts
11-16-2015, 06:52 PM

All hue.

I have watched quite a bit of the Bengals this year because I have Dalton as my FF QB and Hue has been great at mixing things up and giving multiple looks.

21and500
11-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I have watched quite a bit of the Bengals this year because I have Dalton as my FF QB and Hue has been great at mixing things up and giving multiple looks.

If (hypothetically of course) hue was our hc in 2016, and wanted to run a similar offense, iyo, could we use our personnel now without investing too much in the draft? Lets say andrew witworth followed hue here to start at LT. Obviously we don't have a green, I'm just wondering how far off we are personnel wise

DieHardCharge
11-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Hue Jackson never deserved to get fired from Oakland. He had that team going in the right direction. But I would like to see him get a shot as a HC here if MM is let go.

midnight
11-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Hue Jackson never deserved to get fired from Oakland. He had that team going in the right direction. But I would like to see him get a shot as a HC here if MM is let go.

Deserve? He tried to promote himself to GM, lol!

21and500
11-16-2015, 07:05 PM

If uncle al (rip) wasn't senile at the time, hue would be there and probably splitting the afcw with Denver these past few years

DieHardCharge
11-16-2015, 07:06 PM

Hey, let's say he made it to GM and drafted the right players, Raiders could have been better in previous years than expected. :LightsOut:

florida SD fan
11-16-2015, 10:05 PM
if we go offensive guy again, i think i want Hue.

If we go hue we have to get the best WR in the Draft in the first rd.

I really like Rivers, but I still think Fitzgerald would have gotten us a Super Bowl. Brees, LT, gates, Fitz. That's Crazy.

Chargerfreak
11-17-2015, 04:17 AM
#freefreaknow

Is it too early for this ?

Oh its never too early for that.

Chargerfreak
11-17-2015, 04:17 AM
:mad: Consider yourself banned Freaky one :mad:

I'm 2-7 and I approve this message.

AFBoltFan
11-17-2015, 06:08 AM
There is waaay to much Hue Jackson love around here... The Texans just made a joke of the Bengals O... THE TEXANS!! :nono:

ShowYourBolts
11-17-2015, 06:25 AM
If (hypothetically of course) hue was our hc in 2016, and wanted to run a similar offense, iyo, could we use our personnel now without investing too much in the draft? Lets say andrew witworth followed hue here to start at LT. Obviously we don't have a green, I'm just wondering how far off we are personnel wise

Not sure if he would try to mimic what he is doing with the Bengals or not. I would hope that he could work with what was available to him. When he was with the Raiders they were 16th in scoring, 9th in yards per game, 6th in rushing and miraculously 11th in passing. And that was with Jason Campbell @ QB and the motley crew of DHB, Jacoby Ford, Houshmanzadeh, Denarius Moore, Louis Murphy and Chaz Schillens at WR and Kevin Boss and Brandon Myers @ TE. I think that we would have plenty of weapons for him to work with.

ShowYourBolts
11-17-2015, 06:28 AM

That was more on an extremely dysfunctional ownership after Al'd death than on Hue. They were letting him make the calls.

ShowYourBolts
11-17-2015, 06:34 AM
If uncle al (rip) wasn't senile at the time, hue would be there and probably splitting the afcw with Denver these past few years

Al died a few weeks into Hue's one year as HC. He was fired by McKenzie and not Al.

ShowYourBolts
11-17-2015, 06:42 AM
There is waaay to much Hue Jackson love around here... The Texans just made a joke of the Bengals O... THE TEXANS!! :nono:

Did you actually watch the game or are you just going by the final score? Dalton threw the ball horribly and when he was on target, the WR's and TE's were allergic to catching the ball. Hue also wasn't the guy who fumbled on the final drive while they were moving the ball. That's not on playcalling, it's on player execution.

AFBoltFan
11-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Did you actually watch the game or are you just going by the final score? Dalton threw the ball horribly and when he was on target, the WR's and TE's were allergic to catching the ball. Hue also wasn't the guy who fumbled on the final drive while they were moving the ball. That's not on playcalling, it's on player execution.

Consider the Texans part green text. Hue Jackson is not the answer to our problems.

WootMonkey
11-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Consider the Texans part green text. Hue Jackson is not the answer to our problems.

No single person is the answer to this teams problems

TDOdyssey
11-17-2015, 07:51 AM

Miss Cleo?

http://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mbfdf60dbca2aa7f83c35332745a963c2H2&pid=15.1

pacstud
11-17-2015, 07:53 AM

Agreed.

Though many here struggle with that concept.

AK46um
11-17-2015, 07:57 AM

Are you suggesting conjoined coaches? I guess 2 heads and 4 arms are better than McCoy's single sly grimace.

woodeye2000
11-17-2015, 07:59 AM
What about Mort the Sport ?

AFBoltFan
11-17-2015, 08:06 AM

truth.

10 char

Kellyb72601
11-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Good post. I agree with you. As bad as they are offensively the Chargers have moved the ball and I believe are still the top offense in yards per game. Remember how much the offense improved McCoys first year? The no huddle is simply a more efficient offense & is the college equivalent of the spread, allowing you to leverage talent a bit further. IMO Hugh Jackson or Norv with this same personnel would average about 100 yds per game and 7 points per game less. I'd like to see McCoy use more formations ala McDouche in N.E. but he's probably not able to because of how bad the line is.

I AMazing I
11-17-2015, 10:35 AM
We're at the top in yards per game bc we're typically behind and forced to throw the ball a lot.

Also, do you guys remember how dominant PR and Gates were at the beginning of the season last year? We had no running game or OL and PR started red hot. What happened? He cooled off... We were 1 dimensional. Predictable. Same will happen this year if we don't find a way to pound the rock.

ShowYourBolts
11-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Good post. I agree with you. As bad as they are offensively the Chargers have moved the ball and I believe are still the top offense in yards per game. Remember how much the offense improved McCoys first year? The no huddle is simply a more efficient offense & is the college equivalent of the spread, allowing you to leverage talent a bit further. IMO Hugh Jackson or Norv with this same personnel would average about 100 yds per game and 7 points per game less. I'd like to see McCoy use more formations ala McDouche in N.E. but he's probably not able to because of how bad the line is.

Except that Hue averaged basically the same amount of points and ~40yds less a game with Jason Campbell at QB and these bunch of scrubs catching the ball. DHB, Jacoby Ford, Houshmanzadeh, Denarius Moore, Louis Murphy and Chaz Schillens at WR and Kevin Boss and Brandon Myers @ TE. And McFadden playing just 7 games and somehow getting Michael Bush almost 1000yds rushing in just 9 starts, far and away his best season. Bush's next best year was 655yds in 2010 with Hue as OC.

And if you don't think that Hue is creative with formations, then you haven't watched a Bengals game.

ShowYourBolts
11-18-2015, 04:34 AM
We're at the top in yards per game bc we're typically behind and forced to throw the ball a lot.

Also, do you guys remember how dominant PR and Gates were at the beginning of the season last year? We had no running game or OL and PR started red hot. What happened? He cooled off... We were 1 dimensional. Predictable. Same will happen this year if we don't find a way to pound the rock.

I think that things might get real ugly this Sunday. We're facing a team that not only gets after the QB , but also has 2 CB's in Smith and Peters that can give WR's fits and are good at covering TE's.

Chargerfreak
11-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Except that Hue averaged basically the same amount of points and ~40yds less a game with Jason Campbell at QB and these bunch of scrubs catching the ball. DHB, Jacoby Ford, Houshmanzadeh, Denarius Moore, Louis Murphy and Chaz Schillens at WR and Kevin Boss and Brandon Myers @ TE. And McFadden playing just 7 games and somehow getting Michael Bush almost 1000yds rushing in just 9 starts, far and away his best season. Bush's next best year was 655yds in 2010 with Hue as OC.

And if you don't think that Hue is creative with formations, then you haven't watched a Bengals game.

:crazy: You had me at Campbell.

pacstud
11-18-2015, 06:33 AM

If I could make one, small correction on something?

Hue is not creative with formations. He is diverse. He uses a lot of formations, but they are all "standard" formations.

That is all.

frozendisc
11-18-2015, 06:37 AM

Hue is not creative with formations. He is diverse. He uses a lot of formations, but they are all "standard" formations.

That is all.

I think he meant Hue was creative in his timing on using the various formations that are available from the Cat playbook.......

ShowYourBolts
11-18-2015, 06:38 AM

That is all.

Not going to argue semantics. However I can't recall seeing LT's motioned out wide too often. That's not too standard from where I am sitting.

AFBoltFan
11-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Ok fine... I'm changing my stance... Hue Jackson might be good for this team and PR. I wouldn't want him taking on HC duties and calling plays as well though...

For all you Hue Jackson lovers, who would you want to be his OC?

ShowYourBolts
11-18-2015, 07:08 AM
Ok fine... I'm changing my stance... Hue Jackson might be good for this team and PR. I wouldn't want him taking on HC duties and calling plays as well though...

For all you Hue Jackson lovers, who would you want to be his OC?

I'll just throw this out for gits and shiggles, Ernie's boy, Ken.

pacstud
11-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Not going to argue semantics. However I can't recall seeing LT's motioned out wide too often. That's not too standard from where I am sitting.

Oh, that little split-gate is the formation de jour since Bellycheat broke it out last year. Ravens did it and the Colts full gate was the most hilarious gaffe.

If you're referring to tackle over, unbalanced, etc...pretty standard fare.

You're right though, it's semantics.

WootMonkey
11-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Norv is a better OC and a better HC than McCoy.

21and500
11-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Al died a few weeks into Hue's one year as HC. He was fired by McKenzie and not Al.

totally forgot.

would be ironic if Hue led us as Al's last appointed HC.

dtm
11-18-2015, 02:26 PM
if this team moves to LA they have to go after a SB-winning HC. But they won't, because they're the chargers.

I think they might go after Jim Mora

charger1_sj
11-18-2015, 02:30 PM
if this team moves to LA they have to go after a SB-winning HC. But they won't, because they're the chargers.

In such a case Dennis Green will be the OC.

coach14
11-18-2015, 03:34 PM
In such a case Dennis Green will be the OC.

He is who we think he is.

SoonerCharger
11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
We've always needed someone who can light a fire under a franchise. We've always needed someone who can dial up X's and O's with one the great QB's under center. The person who can do both of those things is Jon Gruden. And he loves So.Cal.... That is all.

EDIT: And someone who can win a Superbowl....

Jon Gruden and Philip Rivers are a great personality match. The productivity in this HC/QB match would be exponential...

LongTimeOCBolts
11-18-2015, 07:18 PM
We've always needed someone who can light a fire under a franchise. We've always needed someone who can dial up X's and O's with one the great QB's under center. The person who can do both of those things is Jon Gruden. And he loves So.Cal.... That is all.

Jon Gruden and Philip Rivers are a great personality match. The productivity in this HC/QB match would be exponential...

His name keeps coming up in here. And some have already questioned whether/why he would want to leave a cushie TV gig.

My question is different -- would he still have the fire? The patience? The drive to work the crazy hours necessary?

I really can't recall whether an NFL head coach has left for a few years on TV, then returned to the NFL and had high levels of success.

Anyone have any memories of HC's going from the broadcast booth back down to the field, and how they did?

(Joe Torre did it in baseball, and obviously had GREAT success with the Yankees. But I'd think that baseball is different).

ktmjim
11-18-2015, 07:19 PM

I think they go after someone with ties to the OC so they can draw that fan base plus they are the Chargers so they will not get a big name. I am thinking Dave White from the Edison Chargers. All the Edison fans will follow plus they already know how to scream Go Chargers!

LongTimeOCBolts
11-18-2015, 07:21 PM
I think they go after someone with ties to the OC so they can draw that fan base plus they are the Chargers so they will not get a big name. I am thinking Dave White from the Edison Chargers. All the Edison fans will follow plus they already know how to scream Go Chargers!

El Toro H.S. is also called the Chargers. Don't know about their head coach, though. :LightsOut:

HeadTrip
11-18-2015, 10:08 PM
His name keeps coming up in here. And some have already questioned whether/why he would want to leave a cushie TV gig.

My question is different -- would he still have the fire? The patience? The drive to work the crazy hours necessary?

I really can't recall whether an NFL head coach has left for a few years on TV, then returned to the NFL and had high levels of success.

Anyone have any memories of HC's going from the broadcast booth back down to the field, and how they did?

(Joe Torre did it in baseball, and obviously had GREAT success with the Yankees. But I'd think that baseball is different).

Dick Vermeil left coaching for 15 years to do broadcasting before returning and coaching the Rams. They stunk for a couple seasons but obviously it worked out in the end.

WootMonkey
11-19-2015, 08:39 AM

if they move to LA I hope they break the bank on Gruden so I can watch the implosion.

If they stay in San Diego I'd prefer they didn't go after him.

frozendisc
11-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Gruden does love Rivers, and Southern California as well. I doubt that Gruden would view the environment ( Owners, GM, talent on current roster) as one in which successful results would be very likely, which makes his leaving the MNF gig a very bad move. The Bolts are not getting Gruden.....plain and simple.

Satcong_21
11-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Why y'all think a new head coach would work when the Spanoses still dip their noses into the football operations when the only thing they know and want is to make more money...Dominate the ticket sale market rather than dominate the rest of the NFL teams in games...

Owners like the Krafts are truly sport fans who wants nothing more than their team to win year in and out...And leave winning football business to ones who can...

Truth hurts....

florida SD fan
11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Top two
John Gruden HC, jay Gruden OC, bill Callahan OL, I'm sure they can attract DC.
Wiz HC, dick Lebeau DC, not sure who could be OC. Maybe keep Frank to learn from Whiz.
Whiz got LeBeau to come to Titans, I do not want Whiz without LeBeau.

HeadTrip
11-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Why y'all think a new head coach would work when the Spanoses still dip their noses into the football operations when the only thing they know and want is to make more money...Dominate the ticket sale market rather than dominate the rest of the NFL teams in games...

Owners like the Krafts are truly sport fans who wants nothing more than their team to win year in and out...And leave winning football business to ones who can...

Truth hurts....

All the owners can't have the commish in their pockets. There can be only one.

woodeye2000
11-19-2015, 10:50 AM
All the owners can't have the commish in their pockets. There can be only one.

It is Krafty.

sonorajim
11-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Truth hurts....
Winning is the only way to make avg or better money in the NFL.

WootMonkey
11-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Winning is the only way to make avg or better money in the NFL.

This is simply false.

Nomad
11-19-2015, 11:30 AM
I think Mike McCoy will be available.:D

midnight
11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000583376/article/dabo-swinney-wide-receiver-is-nfls-worstcoached-position

Maybe this guy can make are WRs look like allstars

Fully-Charged
11-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Why do some people want Gruden or even Whiz as HC? No thanks.

Sean McDermott
Hue Jackson
David Shaw
Todd Haley
Nick Saban

R4PT0R
11-19-2015, 12:43 PM
I think Mike McCoy will be available.:D

Sounds like the next HOF coach. Somebody page TT please. This guy needs to be interviewed and handed the reins asap.

21and500
11-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Gruden does love Rivers, and Southern California as well. I doubt that Gruden would view the environment ( Owners, GM, talent on current roster) as one in which successful results would be very likely, which makes his leaving the MNF gig a very bad move. The Bolts are not getting Gruden.....plain and simple.

this is what I'm thinking, but I'll take it a step further...

I may be late to this party, but im starting to realize that top caliber HCs that KNOW how to win championships might simply be smart enough to avoid a Spanos owned franchise.

people credit (or discredit) the spanos for hiring "cheap" first time HCs, retread (after failing multiple times elsewhere Martty, Norv) but perhaps its the other way around.

I can imagine a room with a Gruden, Cowher, Saban and Payton having a few drinks, casually joking around, talking football, eventually talking about open vacancies around the league. I really don't think ANY of them would actually have anything flattering to say about the Chargers HC gig outside of rivers for maybe 4 years.

McCoy is a fraud who interviewed very well and impressed the Spanos, wolf and company by having a very detailed plan and deep understanding of our roster... well of course, he worked for a division rival! and just about EVERY member of the CMB has a detailed plan, dosnt make it a good one.

Spanos saw a cheap HC who could sell hope and optimism, same with telesco (although I think TT is better at his job).

I hate to admit it, but Archie was and IS right.

another concept im forced to come around to is that the only hope for the Spanos to "change" the way they run the franchise, is if they believe its worth the investment, and I believe that they think that's only in LA. in LA I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name HC, the red carpet and all the fixinz.

anyway, have a great day guys.

Kellyb72601
11-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Norv is a better OC and a better HC than McCoy.

If that were true why did McCoys offense perform so much better with the exact same personnel? I don't disagree Norv is more effective at some things but with Rivers at QB the offense performs better under McCoys system. With Norv we'd be averaging 250 yds a game right now, a little worse than his last year here.

charger1_sj
11-19-2015, 03:01 PM
If that were true why did McCoys offense perform so much better with the exact same personnel? I don't disagree Norv is more effective at some things but with Rivers at QB the offense performs better under McCoys system. With Norv we'd be averaging 250 yds a game right now, a little worse than his last year here.

Different systems. When Norv left we didn't have the O line personnel to run his offense effectively, back when we did Norv's offense did just fine. The downfall of Norv is that he couldn't adjust. When MM stepped in he changed the system to a short passing game which fit the offense O line we had much better. What you see now is injuries, penalties and turnovers that have brought that offense to it's knees. I think the blame can be shared to injury, coaching and mistakes made by players. That pretty much ruined our year.

Kellyb72601
11-19-2015, 03:03 PM

I loved Hue Jackson's offense with the 'fade. They were really building something there. However I don't really see much difference between him and Norv and Sean Payton. They all call the game and use a ton of formations.

Kellyb72601
11-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Different systems. When Norv left we didn't have the O line personnel to run his offense effectively, back when we did Norv's offense did just fine. The downfall of Norv is that he couldn't adjust. When MM stepped in he changed the system to a short passing game which fit the offense O line we had much better. What you see now is injuries, penalties and turnovers that have brought that offense to it's knees. I think the blame can be shared to injury, coaching and mistakes made by players. That pretty much ruined our year.

So if you're giving Norv a pass due to bad oline and injuries why not give McCoy a pass for the same reason? It's not like he's had anything average up front to work with. From what I've seen we have no problems with the offensive scheme or head coach. The players play hard. They're just beat up and not that good.

charger1_sj
11-19-2015, 03:39 PM
So if you're giving Norv a pass due to bad oline and injuries why not give McCoy a pass for the same reason? It's not like he's had anything average up front to work with. From what I've seen we have no problems with the offensive scheme or head coach. The players play hard. They're just beat up and not that good.

Actually I'm not giving Norv a pass. He couldn't adjust like a good coach should.

The problem with McCoy has been poor in game decisions, repeated mistakes by the players which have not been resolved and some would point the finger at suspect play calling. Additionally we don't know if he has lost the locker room.

I think due to all the injuries he does get a pass this year. At least that's my opinion. It's not exactly shared by many on the CMB.

HeadTrip
11-19-2015, 03:47 PM
MM's short passing game was better for us when he took over but I don't think he's been able to adjust either. He hasn't found a way to run the ball with any effectiveness. I know the Oline problems are a great hindrance but it doesn't excuse the degree that our running game sucks. Running out of the shotgun isn't working but we just keep banging our heads against the wall.

charger1_sj
11-19-2015, 04:11 PM
We pretty much have to run shotgun or pistol due to the O line being so bad, to the demise of the run game. It could be worse, we could put PR under center and then we won't be able to run or pass because we cannot rely on the run game until the O line is fixed. This is why I believe MM gets one more year.

AFBoltFan
11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
We pretty much have to run shotgun or pistol due to the O line being so bad, to the demise of the run game. It could be worse, we could put PR under center and then we won't be able to run or pass because we cannot rely on the run game until the O line is fixed. This is why I believe MM gets one more year.

In this case I would still like to see Reich replaced at a minimum.

charger1_sj
11-19-2015, 05:01 PM
In this case I would still like to see Reich replaced at a minimum.

That falls under play calling. I don't think anybody here would be upset.

Kellyb72601
11-19-2015, 05:46 PM
MM's short passing game was better for us when he took over but I don't think he's been able to adjust either. He hasn't found a way to run the ball with any effectiveness. I know the Oline problems are a great hindrance but it doesn't excuse the degree that our running game sucks. Running out of the shotgun isn't working but we just keep banging our heads against the wall.

I agree with this - McCoy continually to run out of shotgun for no gain is getting as old as Norv trying to run power under center every first down for no gain. I think it's a personnel thing though shotgun is about all they're capable of doing at this point.

DefenseWins
11-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Dabo was mentioned earlier - his thoughts on NFL coaching with respect to a particular position...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000583376/article/dabo-swinney-wide-receiver-is-nfls-worstcoached-position
Clemson coach Dabo Swinney knows the wide receiver position as well as anyone in college football, having been a receiver himself at Alabama, then coaching the position before ascending to the head-coaching ranks at CU. And while he's never been on an NFL staff, he's seen enough pro football to believe the position isn't coached particularly well at the game's highest level.

"I think it's the worst-coached position in the NFL. I think sometimes people just throw a guy out there and say 'Go coach these guys,' and it's a very detailed, technical position," Swinney told The Rich Eisen Show on Thursday.

While measuring which NFL positions are the best-coached is a subjective proposition, it's definitely a position that lends itself to a more immediate impact. The same holds true in college, where wide receivers tend to redshirt less often than, for instance, offensive linemen. Clemson has produced several active NFL players at the position, including 2014 first-round draft pick Sammy Watkins and Houston Texans star DeAndre Hopkins. Swinney said developing those two were very different experiences.

"We've had guys like Sammy Watkins where you get him out of the box, and there's no assembly required, and boom, you just don't screw them up. But we've taken guys like Sammy Watkins who came here with all this talent, and we've made them better and they've left as the fourth pick in the draft," Swinney said. "Then we've taken guys like (DeAndre) Hopkins, who was a basketball player, not highly recruited, very raw, 180-pound kid when he got here. He left two or three years later as a first-round draft pick."

Swinney's point, of course, is that Clemson develops wide receivers as well or better than anyone. He noted that Clemson has had an All-ACC receiver in each of his 13 seasons at the school.

"I may screw up a defensive lineman or something, but I ain't going to screw up a wideout," he said.

More importantly, as coach of the top-ranked team in the nation, he doesn't want to screw up the Tigers' run for an ACC title and a College Football Playoff berth.

And one of the best receivers in the league will help get him there in Artavis Scott.

ShowYourBolts
11-20-2015, 04:56 AM
Why do some people want Gruden or even Whiz as HC? No thanks.

Sean McDermott
Hue Jackson
David Shaw
Todd Haley
Nick Saban

I've been starting to consider Haley as well. Pouncey goes down and they don't miss a beat. Bell misses time due to suspension and injury and the same.

ShowYourBolts
11-20-2015, 05:01 AM
I loved Hue Jackson's offense with the 'fade. They were really building something there. However I don't really see much difference between him and Norv and Sean Payton. They all call the game and use a ton of formations.

So Hue having success with running 2 completely different offenses equates him to 2 guys that need exact pieces to make their O's work? That makes perfect sense.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 07:35 AM
Actually I'm not giving Norv a pass. He couldn't adjust like a good coach should.

The problem with McCoy has been poor in game decisions, repeated mistakes by the players which have not been resolved and some would point the finger at suspect play calling. Additionally we don't know if he has lost the locker room.

I think due to all the injuries he does get a pass this year. At least that's my opinion. It's not exactly shared by many on the CMB.

If the bold above is accurate, it is by the way, then why would anyone want another year of those problems ? MM has shown no improvement as a HC. He simply isn't a good one, and three years is enough time to see a fair evaluation. Time to move on.....

AFBoltFan
11-20-2015, 07:43 AM
I've been starting to consider Haley as well. Pouncey goes down and they don't miss a beat. Bell misses time due to suspension and injury and the same.

Wasn't Haley terrible in KC?

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Wasn't Haley terrible in KC?

Belichick was terrible in Cleveland.....and look at him now.

That said, Haley does not inspire me much......

Kellyb72601
11-20-2015, 07:53 AM
So Hue having success with running 2 completely different offenses equates him to 2 guys that need exact pieces to make their O's work? That makes perfect sense.

Hue hasn't run 2 completely different offenses. He's like those other guys in the sense that he uses a lot of formations, a lot of personnel groupings, and tries to create matchups. Theres very little no huddle or letting the quarterback call the game.

woodeye2000
11-20-2015, 07:55 AM
There was a time last year when Carolina Panther fans were calling for the firing of Ron Rivera, should he lose the next particular game. The Panthers won. Rivera was not fired.

What has happened since is public record.

This is the model for keeping MM.

Why? Give Rivers continuity. And a replacement for M80. And a running back, just in case MG III doesn't come on.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 08:05 AM
The problem is, Rivera didn't demonstrate the McCoy errors, Rivera just wasn't winning yet. McCoy has been poor at in game decisions, repeated mistakes by the players which have not been resolved or just sloppy play/effort and some would point the finger at suspect play calling. Additionally we suspect he has lost the locker room.

Continuity.....ridiculous I say ! Why in Gods name would you want to continue losing games.....leadership is needed, time for a change to a HC that has that ability.

mdsd77
11-20-2015, 08:15 AM
There was a time last year when Carolina Panther fans were calling for the firing of Ron Rivera, should he lose the next particular game. The Panthers won. Rivera was not fired.

What has happened since is public record.

This is the model for keeping MM.

Why? Give Rivers continuity. And a replacement for M80. And a running back, just in case MG III doesn't come on.

the biggest glaring fact = Carolina has a MOBILE QUARTERBACK

Rivers is a wagon with square wheels on one side (all sides actually)

how would you like to be a headcoach for a great QB and then be told he can't move?

I dig the guys tenacity, but thats a glorified coach on the field basically.

even the other players have to be frustrated, imagine being a TE or Receiver and you just can't shake a defender when you need those crucial 3rd down plays to advance, and you then realize you got no last ditch effort by your QB? --- has to be frustrating

just look at the first games of last season, PRiv actually RAN !! and they won

his time has past him, it IS a different game, you need to be able to run on those crucial plays, and that may be only 10 per game, 10 more first downs gets wins.

this ship has been sinking for a long time and we have all been watching the same captain go down with the ship over and over...

he has trade value along the lines of that famous 11 player trade years back
- I Know crazy stuff I am saying - where is Bobby Ross when we need his tutelage?

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
the biggest glaring fact = Carolina has a MOBILE QUARTERBACK

Rivers is a wagon with square wheels on one side (all sides actually)

how would you like to be a headcoach for a great QB and then be told he can't move?

I dig the guys tenacity, but thats a glorified coach on the field basically.

even the other players have to be frustrated, imagine being a TE or Receiver and you just can't shake a defender when you need those crucial 3rd down plays to advance, and you then realize you got no last ditch effort by your QB? --- has to be frustrating

just look at the first games of last season, PRiv actually RAN !! and they won

his time has past him, it IS a different game, you need to be able to run on those crucial plays, and that may be only 10 per game, 10 more first downs gets wins.

this ship has been sinking for a long time and we have all been watching the same captain go down with the ship over and over...

he has trade value along the lines of that famous 11 player trade years back
- I Know crazy stuff I am saying - where is Bobby Ross when we need his tutelage?

If 'the game has passed him by' is to be believed, then why would any team trade for him ? You appear to be just a tad bit disingenuous in your post.

AFBoltFan
11-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Belichick was terrible in Cleveland.....and look at him now.

That said, Haley does not inspire me much......

This is true, same could be said for McDaniel in Denver.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 08:42 AM
This is true, same could be said for McDaniel in Denver.

McDaniel interests me a lot more than Haley ever could....

My guess is McDaniel will become a very good HC, the million dollar question is when ?

AFBoltFan
11-20-2015, 08:47 AM
McDaniel interests me a lot more than Haley ever could....

My guess is McDaniel will become a very good HC, the million dollar question is when ?

I think it is next year, almost certain... If NE wins another Superbowl there is no reason to stay, he'll be one of if not the hottest head coaching candidates.

florida SD fan
11-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I like Todd Haley as well, but he just does not look the part. He is better as OC. John Fox is a good coach and has proven it with other teams. He is even making Cutler look good which was something no one has done. They lost forte which was 30% of the offene and plugged in a 7th rd rookie RB would could easily be ROY if finished as starter.

That is the type of coach we need. Cutler looked like he lost the team and FO and was close to being on chopping block and now the team is making great progress.

Watch them take down the Broncos this week.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 08:54 AM
I think it is next year, almost certain... If NE wins another Superbowl there is no reason to stay, he'll be one of if not the hottest head coaching candidates.

Might be smart for a little behind the scenes contacting, negotiating, and hiring for a 'end of season' announcement. I wonder what the relationship is between Spanos and Kraft ? Would Kraft be a willing accomplice......

AK46um
11-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Might be smart for a little behind the scenes contacting, negotiating, and hiring for a 'end of season' announcement. I wonder what the relationship is between Spanos and Kraft ? Would Kraft be a willing accomplice......

What if Bellicheat tires of being a coach on the front lines....wants to become a GM for a new team, a new challenge, and new change of scenery. What if he were to become the Chargers GM? Best believe my smart phone SD card is ready to be wiped, spy wear camcorder prepared, and ball pump in pocket on deck.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
What if Bellicheat tires of being a coach on the front lines....wants to become a GM for a new team, a new challenge, and new change of scenery. What if he were to become the Chargers GM? Best believe my smart phone SD card is ready to be wiped, spy wear camcorder prepared, and ball pump in pocket on deck.

I am not too sure I would trust that transition from HC to GM, seems like a big change in responsibilities and vision. Besides, when Belichick 'tires' he will just retire I imagine.

Kemp17
11-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Belichick already is a GM.

frozendisc
11-20-2015, 11:11 AM

I would guess in the Patriot scheme, the GM responsibilities have been divided up and assigned to various staff, which makes me inclined to discount any GM/HC combinations out there. What is worth noting is that the division of responsibilities seems to work well for the Patriots, regardless of how they are divided. I could see Spanos embracing this approach as a cost cutting measure. Just give J Spanos the title, along with his current title...... ;)

AFBoltFan
11-20-2015, 11:13 AM
GM by committee...

AK46um
11-20-2015, 11:31 AM

He can be a full time GM for just about any team he likes. Not too many teams would turn him down.

Sort of like how Phil Jackson has 11 rings but didn't return to the Bulls or Lakers. In the end he became the Knicks' GM/President. If Spanos can befriend Bellicheat into coming to "LA" then.......Yeah I know its a nice wild dream.

florida SD fan
11-20-2015, 11:57 AM
He can be a full time GM for just about any team he likes. Not too many teams would turn him down.

Sort of like how Phil Jackson has 11 rings but didn't return to the Bulls or Lakers. In the end he became the Knicks' GM/President. If Spanos can befriend Bellicheat into coming to "LA" then.......Yeah I know its a nice wild dream.

I can see Belicheck going to Kraft and saying "Im moving on to be the Chargers GM and I will be taking all the coaches and FO". Kraft replies " if you and the staff wanted a pay cut, why didn't you say so." Enjoy your retirement in LA.

HeadTrip
11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I can see Belicheck going to Kraft and saying "Im moving on to be the Chargers GM and I will be taking all the coaches and FO". Kraft replies " if you and the staff wanted a pay cut, why didn't you say so." Enjoy your retirement in LA.

Darth Hoodie cheats. Every year. All the time. But it's Kraft that enables him. If Spanos can't do that, what makes anyone think he would be successful here?