PDA

View Full Version : McCoy - is 2016 the year?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DefenseWins
09-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Well, it happens every year - usually right after the first bad play of the first game (laughing)...so may as well start a thread for this year to discuss the topic. Rather than starting it out with the rumblings from a loss though, saw two articles on the UT and thought they would make for better discussion starters. Let the rational, calm discussion begin...after reading the articles with an open mind.

First up - Canepa:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/04/canepa-column-mccoy-chargers-coach/
Is Mike McCoy the right person to be in charge of the Chargersí kitchen? Or is he more cut out to be a sous chef?

Somewhere in this nasty NFL pudding, there is proof. Itís up to McCoy to find it.

Iíve been around the NFL tarmac since Don Coryell was running his airline, so Iím educated enough to make educated guesses. My hunch is that this is it for the Chargersí fourth-year head coach. Itís his inning. He either produces, finds success, or itís on to another gig, and, as McCoy would say: ďNext man up.Ē

I do not fire people. I do not advocate cannings. Iím just taking the Chargersí temperature with a rectal thermometer, and when it comes to McCoyís seat, itís about 110 degrees.

McCoy is all right. Problem is, all right isnít always right enough in a terribly cruel, unyielding, bottom-line business. The fact that some coaches survive longer than can be imagined doesnít matter everywhere, like L.A. and Cincinnati, but it does here. The Spanos family has owned the franchise since 1984. McCoy is their 10th head coach. The Steelers have had three since 1969.

There were some remarkable problems surrounding last yearís Chargers team, but as the season opener looms Sunday in Kansas City, itís obvious that a repeat of 2015, or something close to it, isnít going to do, injuries, bad luck, or not.

Is it all McCoyís fault? Hardly. He only can play what he has. But franchises fire coaches before they release football men, and, in the Chargersí case, the top football man is John Spanos (Tom Telesco may be GM, but believe me, heís No. 2, so he may have a job here for 25 years), and I donít see John, who I like, going anywhere. Who spoke out during the Joey Bosa thing? Spanos.

The Chargers won four games in 2015. And the plain, simple fact of the matter is football teams with a Philip Rivers at quarterback shouldnít win four times ó not if heís on the field by himself. They werenít playoff-worthy, but with one of The Leagueís best quarterbacks, throwing for more than 4,700 yards, playing every game, you win more than four, even if your offensive line is hospitalized.

There seems to be a feeling around the NFL that Rivers has deserved better. I beg to differ, a bit. For quite a while, he was surrounded by the best roster talent in The League and didnít win a championship. Iíll never blame him for it. There were other problems, some in coaching. But never let it be said he didnít have the players or the opportunity, because he did.

Rivers is appreciated, but underrated for one reason ó heís never won a title. Unfair, yes. But quarterbacks are judged by championships. Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger came out in the 2004 draft class, same as Rivers, and each has two Super Bowls rings. Are they better quarterbacks than Rivers? Not a chance.

Thatís just how it is. They have the jewelry.

And itís up to McCoy, as coach, an offensive-minded coach, at that, to do something about it. Not that the Chargers must book advanced passage to Houston in February, but there must be something, there has to be progress. McCoy has to prove to the Spanos family that heís the right guy.

He went 9-7, got to the playoffs and even won a postseason game his rookie head coaching year (2013), and also went 9-7 the following season, without playoff money. But this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game. He has to get that four out of everyoneís heads.

McCoy is too conservative for many tastes ó including mine, often ó but he can game plan. And fans, everybody, forget conservatism if you win games. Winning is the great antibiotic that cures all.

Mike has a clean whiteboard now. He fired some assistant coaches after the debacle, no doubt because he was ordered to. Spanos, Telesco, or whomever, had a good offseason addressing needs, especially at center (Matt Slauson), and nose tackle, where Brandon Mebane, a stud, was brought in from Seattle. I refuse to put any stock in this run defense if Mebane isnít playing. Game-changer. Bosa shouldnít hurt, despite his August inactivity.

They have to run it better and, if the offensive line is healthy, they will, because I expect good things out of second-year tailback Melvin Gordon.

If the preseason showed anything tangible, it was their depth. They are thin in several areas, but then, just about every team is thin in several areas.

Whatever they have, itís up to the coach to figure it all out.

There is a LAST CHANCE sign on the highway out of town. McCoy either has to take advantage of it, or heíll be told to keep on moving to the next stop.

DefenseWins
09-05-2016, 07:40 AM
And now for Krasovic's view...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/chargers-telesco-john-spanos/
Mike McCoy says the Chargers win or lose as an organization.

He means the actual games, less so the consequences of losing them.

After the Chargers slogged to a 4-12 record that was their worst mark since 2003, the axe didn't fall on most of the key figures at Chargers Park.

John Spanos, a member of the team's family ownership group and also the top football executive, returned for his fourth season as executive V-P of football operations. The job is likely his for as long as he wants it.

He opted to retain the two key hires of the four-year John Spanos Era: talent man Tom Telesco, whom Spanos gave an extension before the 2015 season; and McCoy, above whom the vultures were said, erroneously, it seems now, to circle for several weeks last season.

When the team announced a contract season for McCoy after the 2015 season, somewhere Marty Schottenheimer, fired after a 14-2 season 10 years ago, surely shook his head in amazement. As well McCoy survived an 0-6 record within the AFC West.

John Pagano, who predates McCoy at Chargers Park, returned for his fifth season as coordinator. His defense finished 20th in yards and 21st in points.

Back, too, are four starters in the offensive line, which had a below-average season marred heavily by injury, and running back Melvin Gordon, who said his rookie season was terrible.

Four highly paid Chargers players who said they failed to achieve optimal weight-and-fitness last year -- Orlando Franklin, Brandon Flowers, Corey Liuget and D.J. Fluker -- are among the returnees as well.

Five aides to McCoy lost their jobs. Their replacements have effected change, but the whole recent offseason amounted to one big mulligan.

One season, for sure, defines neither an era or a franchise.

Though higher than last year, how high are the stakes at Chargers Park?

Not as high, I think, as the standard media narrative has it.

One, look for the Chargers to play in Mission Valley in 2017 regardless of what happens on the field or at the ballot box in coming months.

Even if San Diegans vote down both facility initiatives, it would make little sense for the team to move to the Los Angeles Coliseum, where the L.A-rooted Rams and USC are tenants. Remember, the Chargers' lease with San Diego is profitable. Also, the longer Team Spanos opts to stay in Qualcomm Stadium, the less it would have to pay to get out of the lease, which runs through 2020.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his inner circle of club owners, for their part, have insisted they want "to get L.A. right." Shoehorning the Bolts into the Inglewood Kroenke Dome, as tenants of the popular Rams, would run a large risk of getting L.A. wrong.

Make no mistake: San Diego is still a very attractive market within the NFL empire. The city's NFL roots date to 1961 (34 years more than the Rams had in St. Louis). NFL personnel love to visit San Diego, and pine for the city to rejoin the Super Bowl rotation.

Though not highly lucrative, the market is solid enough for the Chargers, per Forbes, to far exceed the revenues that the Rams generated in St. Louis. Diluting the franchise's five decades-plus rivalries with three AFC West rivals is another check mark against a Chargers move north.

Depictions of McCoy as a goner, should the team miss the playoffs, are standard, too.

Unlike last year, there's an aide in waiting, Ken Whisenhunt, who has gone to a Super Bowl as a head coach. And yet, I still could see McCoy, a la Norv Turner, surviving an 8-8 or 9-7 season that brought no playoff berth.

McCoy, who's better than Norv at playing the role of company man, is part of the Spanos-Telesco fabric.

Understanding that his first priority is to win games, McCoy was wise to bring Whisenhunt back. The playcaller has paid dividends already. The run blocking, if still suspect, is far more varied than last summer.

Defenders are less likely to get the super-fast jumps on Bolts run plays that they got last September and October.

Telesco upgraded the interior of each line and gave McCoy more play-speed on offense.

The Chargers are system-mature like few NFL teams, thanks in large part to Philip Rivers.

Rivers still doesn't get enough credit for staying whole, especially from folks who constantly gripe about the team's injuries. (See: Vikings, Teddy Bridgewater.)

Injury caveat attached, the Chargers should be expected to double their victory total. I see them as an 8-8 team.

DefenseWins
09-05-2016, 07:41 AM
1st, 2nd, and 3rd... :p

electricgold
09-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Ummmmmm..... What was the question?

MM either has a winning season with playoffs or he gets fired and a Jon Gruden, or Seahawks type coach is brought in to build a winning culture.

Raider Disliker
09-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Given that the team is likely moving to L.A. in 2017, McCoy doesn't have the "star power" for the L.A. market. So he's done in any event. Biologists refer to "charismatic megafauna", like the few pumas (mountain lions) that roam Griffith Park and certain other hilly locations around Los Angeles.

The Chargers are going to have to find some "charismatic megafauna" coach who will fit in under the lights of Hollywood (or "Hollyweird"). That would probably be someone who had an affiliation with U.S.C., or maybe UCLA, as either a player or a coach. Do I hear "Jack Del Rio"?

Unfortunately for McCoy, if he is being questioned by San Diego newspaper columnists, he will be SAVAGED by L.A. columnists.

DefenseWins
09-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Kevin, with a touch of humor thrown in, predicts how the Chargers might finish 10-6 and in the playoffs - saving MM.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/chargers-have-much-to-do-say-save-this-season/

florida SD fan
09-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Ummmmmm..... What was the question?

MM either has a winning season with playoffs or he gets fired and a Jon Gruden, or Seahawks type coach is brought in to build a winning culture.

Need to be in contention to make the PO by week 10 or fire him and let Whiz take over. we need to be 7-3 or he need to go.

charger1_sj
09-05-2016, 12:04 PM
USA Today thinks the first NFL coach to be fired in 2016 will be MM.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-first-coach-fired-odds-bet-san-diego-chargers-mike-mccoy-jim-caldwell

I don't remember if we have ever fired a HC mid season. I doubt very much if this year would be an exception. But if we have another miserable W-L record at year's end then MM would be gone.

JoeMcRugby
09-05-2016, 12:56 PM
USA Today thinks the first NFL coach to be fired in 2016 will be MM.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-first-coach-fired-odds-bet-san-diego-chargers-mike-mccoy-jim-caldwell

I don't remember if we have ever fired a HC mid season. I doubt very much if this year would be an exception. But if we have another miserable W-L record at year's end then MM would be gone.

Don Coryell was fired halfway through the 1986 season (1-7 record). And yes, he was fired, not retired.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-14/sports/sp-882_1_don-coryell

The Moekid
09-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Don Coryell was fired halfway through the 1986 season (1-7 record). And yes, he was fired, not retired.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-14/sports/sp-882_1_don-coryell

And Tommy Prothro was fired when Coryell was hired during a season. That one worked out well

JoeMcRugby
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
And Tommy Prothro was fired when Coryell was hired during a season. That one worked out well

Although in that 1978 season, Prothro retired in September (if you believe him) as he said he was planning on retiring at the end of the season. One of the losses that sent him out of the game? The Holy Roller.

The Chargers also managed to lose a game against the Packers when they recorded 10 sacks. How do you lose when you have 10 sacks? 11 turnovers will do the trick. :rolleyes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1978/09/26/prothro-out-coryell-hired/14ed5e41-f243-4df0-ac1f-b61a717c4402/

charger1_sj
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
It's pretty rare and that was before the Spanos regime.

cthommes
09-05-2016, 01:05 PM
tl;dr, MM sucks, in before frozennoggin.

frozendisc
09-05-2016, 02:04 PM
tl;dr, MM sucks, in before frozennoggin.

What is with the hate from you ?

A losing record will cause change in HC, say 1-5 or so and he is toast.

cthommes
09-05-2016, 03:48 PM
What is with the hate from you ?

A losing record will cause change in HC, say 1-5 or so and he is toast.

I sway with the breeze. Have to keep you on your toes.

frozendisc
09-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I sway with the breeze. Have to keep you on your toes.

Ahhh, sorta like the trees do up Red Deer way...... ;)

AFBoltFan
09-05-2016, 04:14 PM
We've already seen what McCoy can and can't do... Same for Pagano. Don't forget Spanos and TT... Its ridiculous that PR does not have an all-star oline by now.

Fire them all... Start over (again). :logo

frozendisc
09-05-2016, 07:14 PM
We've already seen what McCoy can and can't do... Same for Pagano. Don't forget Spanos and TT... Its ridiculous that PR does not have an all-star oline by now.

Fire them all... Start over (again). :logo

Not too sure about the burn the building down approach......

McCoy is clearly the weak link.....the others might flourish with solid leadership from the HC.

TT had his best draft this last draft.....

I am all for losing anyone named Spanos in the decision making chain, but it isn't going to happen, no matter how many bad decisions.

LongTimeOCBolts
09-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Not too sure about the burn the building down approach......

McCoy is clearly the weak link.....the others might flourish with solid leadership from the HC.

TT had his best draft this last draft.....

I am all for losing anyone named Spanos in the decision making chain, but it isn't going to happen, no matter how many bad decisions.

You gotta appreciate a French Canadian hockey fan who is absolutely certain that a Southern California football coach sucks, and that every person named Spanos sucks, too.

Especially when the same French Canadian tells us how the Montreal Canadiens are the marvel of excellence -- even though they haven't won a Stanley Cup since the Bronze Age.

:LightsOut: :LightsOut:

chargertom
09-05-2016, 10:04 PM
You gotta appreciate a French Canadian hockey fan who is absolutely certain that a Southern California football coach sucks, and that every person named Spanos sucks, too.

Especially when the same French Canadian tells us how the Montreal Canadiens are the marvel of excellence -- even though they haven't won a Stanley Cup since the Bronze Age.

Your Favoriteness, I warn you against letting such insolence go unpunished. Such vocal rebellion can have serious consequences, Your Favoriteness.

Soon, all the peasants will want to voice their displeasure with their lot in life. Is it Your Favoriteness's fault that they know nothing but how to steer an oxen through the Royal fields? That their life's work consists of cutting Your Favoriteness's wheat when ready?

May I suggest slapping him in the stocks?

Perhaps, a swim in the moat with some cement sandals?

Maybe he can be put to better use as a target for the Royal Infantry's archers, and their flaming arrows?

What is thy bidding, Your Favoriteness?

The Moekid
09-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Your Favoriteness, I warn you against letting such insolence go unpunished. Such vocal rebellion can have serious consequences, Your Favoriteness.

Soon, all the peasants will want to voice their displeasure with their lot in life. Is it Your Favoriteness's fault that they know nothing but how to steer an oxen through the Royal fields? That their life's work consists of cutting Your Favoriteness's wheat when ready?

Maybe he can be put to better use as a target for the Royal Infantry's archers, and their flaming arrows?

I thought GameTime's KGB post was the saddest thing I'd ever seen on the cmb until I saw this

dtm
09-05-2016, 10:54 PM
think mccoy will be retained until the chargers know what's up with the stadium situation. i dont see them firing him after the inevitable 2016 hot start of 2-7 record :D

LongTimeOCBolts
09-05-2016, 11:06 PM

Aw, crrrrap (with a brogue).

I stepped in it this time.

Luckily, I LOVE Red Deer! (and Freak will cover the stocks for me -- heck, I might even get something out of it). :LightsOut:

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 02:28 AM
Aw, crrrrap (with a brogue).

I stepped in it this time.

Luckily, I LOVE Red Deer! (and Freak will cover the stocks for me -- heck, I might even get something out of it). :LightsOut:

Heck with the stocks, I just like the part where I can slap you.

The flaming arrows might have been a bit much.

(we play the chiefs this week and everyone starts grabbing the flaming arrows. at arrowhead no less.)

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 02:29 AM
I thought GameTime's KGB post was the saddest thing I'd ever seen on the cmb until I saw this

Speaking of hot dogs, I grilled Bratwurst yesterday.

Are they the Kings of Hot Dogs ?

LT21UK
09-06-2016, 04:40 AM
I would guess that 2016 is the year he finally gets fired. But I hope not. As that would mean we're horrible and have a losing record, again.

frozendisc
09-06-2016, 05:41 AM

What is LTOCB's crime I ask ?

He knows how weak MM is, as all of us see the record. He also has railed against the incompetence found far too often that is associated with the Bolts.

His comments about the Montreal Canadiens just reflect his envy and desire for a Championship.....winners are used to this behavior.

He is in his own hell, as such I say leave him be......

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 07:38 AM
What is LTOCB's crime I ask ?

He knows how weak MM is, as all of us see the record. He also has railed against the incompetence found far too often that is associated with the Bolts.

His comments about the Montreal Canadiens just reflect his envy and desire for a Championship.....winners are used to this behavior.

What have you done for me lately ?

http://cdn.mtlblog.com/uploads/2015/12/mtlhovkeycup.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYtvrT7vrOAhUKOSYKHSGhBOIQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtlblog.com%2F2015%2F12%2F5-montreal-hockey-teams-who-won-the-stanley-cup-before-the-habs%2F&psig=AFQjCNE-qwwQ0MB9QPfIYju8yxg3JMnUwA&ust=1473255521492136)

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Odds to win 2017 Stanley Cup (6/25/17)
Team Odds Chicago Blackhawks 8/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 17/2
Washington Capitals 17/2
Tampa Bay Lightning 10/1
Dallas Stars 12/1
Anaheim Ducks 16/1
San Jose Sharks 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Los Angeles Kings 18/1
Nashville Predators 18/1
New York Rangers 18/1
Florida Panthers 20/1
Minnesota Wild 20/1
Montreal Canadiens 20/1

chargertom
09-06-2016, 07:58 AM

I bow to your wisdom, Your Favoriteness.

LTOCB shall be spared, for the time being.

But I must say, Sir, that the guards and spies will be keeping a very close eye on him for any further signs of treason against Your Favoriteness.

sonorajim
09-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Hell Yes!!! It's the start of Chargers Football!!! :LightsOut: :LightsOut:
I'm in heaven!:Cheers:

crittydog
09-06-2016, 08:55 AM
If the Chargers can have success with two TE sets and running game, get improved play from special teams return game, then 9-7 and possibly a wildcard playoff spot can be had.

If they don't improve much in run game or special teams, then I see the team struggle to a 7-9 record.

I think McCoy remains because I think there will be uncertainty in regards to the stadium. The Chargers will have got over 50% but not the two thirds and will be awaiting court decisions on if that was good enough. They won't want to make a HC change, especially since McCoy is never going to challenge the front office on anything. And the Spanos like that type of employee.

sonorajim
09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
The team has to get the fans fired up this season or McCoy's job is at risk. If we stay away in droves, we can get him fired.
If, on the other hand, the players are fired up and get on a tear deep into the playoffs, the fans are screaming their support in a sold out stadium at home games, those that want to see McCoy gone lose bigtime.;)
Will you sell your tickets to AFCW opponents for the cause? :LightsOut:

The Moekid
09-06-2016, 09:21 AM
I bow to your wisdom, Your Favoriteness.

LTOCB shall be spared, for the time being.

But I must say, Sir, that the guards and spies will be keeping a very close eye on him for any further signs of treason against Your Favoriteness.

ChargerTom? Mods, it looks like ChargerTom has gotten into the medicine cabinet again. Take appropriate measures

chargertom
09-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Will you sell your tickets to AFCW opponents for the cause? :LightsOut:

Talk about getting into the medicine cabinet. :rolleyes:

sonorajim
09-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Talk about getting into the medicine cabinet. :rolleyes:

LOL! Hey, if the McCoy haters are serious....? Every Chargers win is another step closer to McCoy staying on. Poor haters.;)

frozendisc
09-06-2016, 10:30 AM
LOL! Hey, if the McCoy haters are serious....? Every Chargers win is another step closer to McCoy staying on. Poor haters.;)

I just don't see it that way SJ, as the team could win and MM still be incompetent.

vicsteele
09-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Wiz + McCoy = 1 NFL head coach. Separately they do now make a true head coach

woodeye2000
09-06-2016, 11:41 AM
What have you done for me lately ?

http://cdn.mtlblog.com/uploads/2015/12/mtlhovkeycup.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYtvrT7vrOAhUKOSYKHSGhBOIQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtlblog.com%2F2015%2F12%2F5-montreal-hockey-teams-who-won-the-stanley-cup-before-the-habs%2F&psig=AFQjCNE-qwwQ0MB9QPfIYju8yxg3JMnUwA&ust=1473255521492136)

1916 was THE year.

AK46um
09-06-2016, 11:49 AM
LOL^^^^

In the year 2086, the Uranus Chargers win the Super Galaxy championship title.

woodeye2000
09-06-2016, 11:56 AM
LOL^^^^

In the year 2086, the Uranus Chargers win the Super Galaxy championship title.

Get in here, AK !
These guys are
Way too serious
And they think
They know football.

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
1916 was THE year.

Yeah the hamburger bun, the tow truck, Lincoln logs, and the light switch were also invented that year..............................................

woodeye2000
09-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah the hamburger bun, the tow truck, Lincoln logs, and the light switch were also invented that year..............................................

Now we know what frozenintime is talking about.

AK46um
09-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Get in here, AK !
These guys are
Way too serious
And they think
They know football.

Sounds like a batcave full of batmans. Why so serious?

mrkmacc21
09-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Well, it happens every year - usually right after the first bad play of the first game (laughing)...so may as well start a thread for this year to discuss the topic. Rather than starting it out with the rumblings from a loss though, saw two articles on the UT and thought they would make for better discussion starters. Let the rational, calm discussion begin...after reading the articles with an open mind.

First up - Canepa:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/04/canepa-column-mccoy-chargers-coach/

If we can't figure out this year, I think the M. McKoy experience is over. It won't be a mid season firing though...same for Pagano.

LongTimeOCBolts
09-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Tough to rank those.

I'll take a shot.

1) Hamburger bun
2) Lincoln logs
3) Tow truck
4) Light switch

SDCPB
09-06-2016, 01:24 PM
If the Chargers can have success with two TE sets and running game, get improved play from special teams return game, then 9-7 and possibly a wildcard playoff spot can be had.

9-7 won't cut it. The year the team went to the playoffs they just barely made it.

I have no problem with the skill positions. The blocking from the offensive line needs to improve. Having a fullback helps too. The blocking in general needs work.

Chargerfreak
09-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Tough to rank those.

I'll take a shot.

1) Hamburger bun
2) Lincoln logs
3) Tow truck
4) Light switch

I mean, I'M down with Lincoln Logs, but more important that tow trucks and light switch's ....................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm m

LongTimeOCBolts
09-06-2016, 03:23 PM
I mean, I'M down with Lincoln Logs, but more important that tow trucks and light switch's ....................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm m

Yeah, I have food and toys first.

I take my recreating seriously. :layup

DefenseWins
09-06-2016, 09:46 PM

So who is more serious, you or Cro...

LongTimeOCBolts
09-06-2016, 10:37 PM

So who is more serious, you or Cro...

"re". . . "pro" . . . ahh, what's the difference [insert Joey Bosa shrug].

DefenseWins
09-06-2016, 10:46 PM
"re". . . "pro" . . . ahh, what's the difference [insert Joey Bosa shrug].

create again... ;)

Mastodon
09-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Should be fired after today. Not even overreacting.

WHOHE
09-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Lock him in the stadium and don't let him out until the plane takes off. Same with Pagano.

midnight
09-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Never seen a head coach look so lost on the sideline other than Norv.

SDCPB
09-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Never seen a head coach look so lost on the sideline other than Norv.

It doesn't matter who the coach is. This team is always lost.

Gobolts1
09-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Just wait.............Spanos will give him an extension

The Moekid
09-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Just wait.............Spanos will give him an extension

You didn't hear? Spanos extended him at half time today

DieHardBoltFan
09-11-2016, 04:03 PM

First up - Canepa:
McCoy is NOT a motivator of men, he doesn't know how to adjust on the fly especially in pressure situations, he did absolutely nothing to take control of what was obviously a collapse in progress and change the direction of the game back in the favor of the Chargers....if they were thinking of firing him at the end of last yr what does that tell you about the thinking inside the organization.
Pagano has been a nightmare since his arrival, when the going gets tough he plays conservative, he plays not to lose, he plays prevent D, which means prevent winning.
The mentality for winning is No Guts No Glory, you step on the oppositions throat and rip their hearts out. Today the Chargers not only choked but we saw first hand how easily it was for our throats to be stepped on and our hearts torn out. Instead of the Man Up mentality and refusing to lose, especially after such terrific play for 3 qtrs, our team simply gave up in the end

SlappyJ
09-11-2016, 04:06 PM
before we hire a new coach, we need to hire a new GM......then let him hire a coach

RRizGod
09-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Should be fired after today. Not even overreacting.

Yup. I never called for Norv to be fired. But I've seen enough now.

dlibert
09-11-2016, 04:21 PM
which leads me to back up what you are saying - where is the 'personality' of the team - or what is the personality of the team?

Telesco was part of a good organization but Reggie Mackenzie built the Ravens into a winner - and now he is in Oakland. A rookie GM with a veteran QB on the last few years of his career is not the right combination.

What has Telesco brought to the franchise - some good some bad but this year - where is the 1st round pick? You had some one pegged for several years apparently, then you draft him but can't get him in to work with the team, a team that despairs for a big play guy on the d-line. They meed a difference maker - that is drafted - and then Telesco can't get the deal done…

As for the Head coach - what does he bring as a head coach - what is his personality, his trade mark? Andy Reed was available when McCoy came here and Andy has personality all over - his teams are fast, the play loose and quick and have talent in key spots.

Does Mike have an inspirational side we don't know about? Does he have a hidden Schottenheimer in him? is he a defensive genius? and offensive genius? Look, even Norv had a personality and an offensive pedigree right? He built qbacks - and went for the big play.

SO why is Mike McCoy here - I don't mean that as a knock - I am just asking - what does he bring to the table?

Dan Henning had a power running back style from his days in Washington where he won the SB. Dan was not Head coaching material we all found out.

The team just does not have itself wired to compete, create, over come and come up with something when needed.

McCoy lost the home opener a few years ago against Houston in the same way…28-7 at half only to lose it and also to Denver right - ahead at half and then Manning leads them back to a win…to many of these type of losses.

Dean Spanos better be watching - he can not let this season get away from him. McCoy better show some thing or let Wisenhunt take over.

I want more out of this team. Rivers has to be seeing his career fading away - he deserves better than this. There are too many loose ends here.

I said it a few years ago, McCoy is going to coach the team in such away that the games will be tight - very tight - a lot like the Dan Henning days. The team will play up tight without the ability to hit big plays when needed at the end to get the Field goal or TD in the last drive. The team will wind up losing close games more than they would win them. This is exactly what has happened the last 3 years - nothing will change. Not sure if it can change…

cloudparty
09-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Whiz will be the coach at the bye.

BitterFan
09-11-2016, 04:34 PM
McCoy will get fired mid season

EpikCharger760
09-11-2016, 04:40 PM
He looks absolutely embarrassed in his post game presser, and rightfully so.

oldtimer
09-11-2016, 04:54 PM
I don't know who decides to go to the prevent defense (prevent your defense from making plays), or the prevent offense (prevent your offense from making plays), but as soon as the Chargers start trying to protect a lead and work the clock it's all over.
This is a repetitive theme, and the Chargers can not seem to be able to change their ways.
Next man up........for head coach.

SoonerCharger
09-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Yup. I never called for Norv to be fired. But I've seen enough now.

Same^

This.

Its week 1 and its already too much/not enough.

SoonerCharger
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
If SD were serious about winning, Mike McCoy wouldn't be here. And they aren't serious. So I doubt he'll be fired. Gonna be a long season and future.

sdcat
09-11-2016, 05:05 PM
We saw prevent D. We saw prevent O. For a first, we had prevent punting.

Joseph1
09-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I think that McCoy should be fired after three consecutive losing seasons. He still has two more seasons to get at least an okay record. He should be fired if he has five straight seasons of 8-8 or worse.

cloudparty
09-11-2016, 05:09 PM
I think that McCoy should be fired after three consecutive losing seasons. He still has two more seasons to get at least an okay record. He should be fired if he has five straight seasons of 8-8 or worse.

Are you Mike Brown?

riversideboltz
09-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Wow my post was deleted so I'll try it again, what I said was this team will never win with this ownership, it's more about the money then the winning with them, why else would you keep Mike McCoy, because they got him on the cheap, same thing with not signing Bosa, should have never happened, take your profit Spanos and sell the team to an owner that wants to win, and not just for the investment.

Joseph1
09-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Are you Mike Brown?
I am not Mike Brown. I do not even know which Mike Brown you are talking about.

jerry62
09-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Ha! Good post. Maybe we can add prevent coaching, and prevent tackling

cloudparty
09-11-2016, 05:34 PM
I am not Mike Brown. I do not even know which Mike Brown you are talking about.

Just a joke about how long you would let your coach run the team with mediocre/losing seasons. No offense.

Mike Brown is the owner of the Bengals. From his wiki:

"Loyalty issues

Brown is historically reluctant to fire personnel after multiple losing seasons. His first hire as head coach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_coach), David Shula (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Shula), lost fifty games faster than any NFL coach in history (69 games).[46] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-46) Shula's successor, Bruce Coslet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Coslet), resigned with a 21-39 record in 2000; Brown had yet to fire him.[47] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-47) Current head coach Marvin Lewis has seven winning seasons out of thirteen in Cincinnati, six playoff appearances, a 112-92-2 regular season record and an 0-7 playoff record. Nevertheless, Brown agreed to extend Lewis' contract shortly after its expiration at the end of the 2010 season.[48] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-48) Lewis received another contract extension prior to the beginning of the 2012 season.[49]" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-49)

DieHardBoltFan
09-11-2016, 07:44 PM

I thought we already had that....we're you watching the 4th qtr...

SDCPB
09-11-2016, 07:56 PM

The team was in a prevent playing. Because everything was so bad.

frozendisc
09-11-2016, 08:00 PM
The team was in a prevent playing. Because everything was so bad.

When the wheels start to come off, leadership is needed more than ever.....sadly the Bolts lack this quality.

Totally Bolted
09-11-2016, 08:30 PM
When the wheels start to come off, leadership is needed more than ever.....sadly the Bolts lack this quality.

How many times are you going to posts the same post?

frozendisc
09-11-2016, 08:32 PM
How many times are you going to posts the same post?

Until I get banned I guess......is it against the rules to voice the same view in multiple threads ?

The Moekid
09-11-2016, 08:39 PM
I would be fine with firing McCoy tonight

The Moekid
09-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Anybody watch NE v Az? NE just seems to plug guys in over the years and the team always looks the same. That is great coaching.

Joseph1
09-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Just a joke about how long you would let your coach run the team with mediocre/losing seasons. No offense.

Mike Brown is the owner of the Bengals. From his wiki:

"Loyalty issues

Brown is historically reluctant to fire personnel after multiple losing seasons. His first hire as head coach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_coach), David Shula (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Shula), lost fifty games faster than any NFL coach in history (69 games).[46] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-46) Shula's successor, Bruce Coslet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Coslet), resigned with a 21-39 record in 2000; Brown had yet to fire him.[47] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-47) Current head coach Marvin Lewis has seven winning seasons out of thirteen in Cincinnati, six playoff appearances, a 112-92-2 regular season record and an 0-7 playoff record. Nevertheless, Brown agreed to extend Lewis' contract shortly after its expiration at the end of the 2010 season.[48] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-48) Lewis received another contract extension prior to the beginning of the 2012 season.[49]" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_%28Cincinnati_Bengals_owner%29#cite_not e-49)
I guess that I would be like Mike Brown if I was an NFL owner.

RCCthatsme
09-11-2016, 10:01 PM
McCoy - is 2016 the year?

If you mean the year he is fired, yes 100%.

SDCPB
09-11-2016, 10:05 PM
McCoy - is 2016 the year?

If you mean the year he is fired, yes 100%.

100% is not enough. Is there such thing as a 1,000%?

gofaassttt
09-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Why do some think Wiz should take over from McCoy? To me he is part of the problem. I was not pleased when he was rehired.

SoonerCharger
09-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Bill Cowher + Ken Whisenhunt together again????

SoonerCharger
09-11-2016, 10:15 PM

And it all started with a prevent FO

The Moekid
09-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Bill Cowher + Ken Whisenhunt together again????

I'll take that. I'll take anythng

LongTimeOCBolts
09-11-2016, 10:43 PM
I would be fine thrilled with firing McCoy tonight

Fixed it for you.

RAWDOGG
09-11-2016, 10:47 PM
I am curious to know how many 14+ point games the Chargers were up by and lost with McCoy at the helm.

guerro619
09-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Until I get banned I guess......is it against the rules to voice the same view in multiple threads ?

Yes. It is considered trolling

The Moekid
09-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Yes. It is considered trolling

Drop the hammer

SoonerCharger
09-11-2016, 11:43 PM
It's looking like an 0-6 start.

Chargerfreak
09-12-2016, 03:19 AM
I would be fine with firing McCoy tonight

Usually, I am the voice of genius that calms topics down. That won't be this time. He is the HC, and 100% to blame for our loss. 4-12, now 0-1. I think I saw we are now 0-9 in our division ? There is absolutely no call for that.

LT21UK
09-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Hmm. Maybe. It's been what many have predicted for a while.

Obviously his record as a HC is patchy. But he must be better than McCoy.

I would have liked a fresh face and someone that the players are not familiar with.

AFBoltFan
09-12-2016, 06:20 AM
The Whiz took old man Kurt Warner to a Superbowl... Lets see what he can do with PR. Fire McCoy...

sdcat
09-12-2016, 07:59 AM
We've seen this stuff before........prevent everything. Chances are we will revisit the sting of a loss like this with our coach, Norv McCoy.

So, I am asked by non fans why I do this to myself (being a Charger fan).

I can only come up with this. It is better to be miserable as a fan and enjoy the possiblity of a savory win than not be a fan and feel nothing. And, I have to say, yesterday was quite a dose of miserable. That's enough for the entire season.

I'll be back next week.

coach14
09-12-2016, 08:26 AM
The Chargers will probably keep McCoy way too long. That's kind of what we do, unless he wins 14 games. Then, he will be toast.

On a serious note, Let's look at the numbers and let them decide if this is McCoys' last stand:

22-27 as our coach
2-11 in our last 13 division games with 9 losses in a row
5-16 in our last 21 games

It seems to me that the writing is on the wall. He is NOT the right guy to lead this team.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 08:33 AM
The Chargers will probably keep McCoy way too long. That's kind of what we do, unless he wins 14 games. Then, he will be toast.

On a serious note, Let's look at the numbers and let them decide if this is McCoys' last stand:

22-27 as our coach
2-11 in our last 13 division games with 9 losses in a row
5-16 in our last 21 games

It seems to me that the writing is on the wall. He is NOT the right guy to lead this team.

Just think, Marty went through a 6-19 streak here and was 1-2 (7-21 overall) going into week 4 of the 2004 season. Maybe Spanos sees something we don't?

Chargerfreak
09-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Just think, Marty went through a 6-19 streak here and was 1-2 (7-21 overall) going into week 4 of the 2004 season. Maybe Spanos sees something we don't?

Oh there's no maybe about that.

coach14
09-12-2016, 08:39 AM

I think we all hope that there is something there that gets this thing turned around. For me personally, I don't see it.

Totally Bolted
09-12-2016, 08:45 AM

Well lets hope its an actual vision of the future and not a fantasy football illusion.

midnight
09-12-2016, 10:02 AM
haven't seen the McCoy interviews yet, but I can tell you he's not going to question any decisions the coaching staff or this football team has made. Uggggh

SDCMB1993
09-12-2016, 10:16 AM
haven't seen the McCoy interviews yet, but I can tell you he's not going to question any decisions the coaching staff or this football team has made. Uggggh

LOL he's gonna watch the film and say we need to play better on all three phases in the second half. That's about it.

RickWG
09-12-2016, 10:34 AM
LOL he's gonna watch the film and say we need to play better on all three phases in the second half. That's about it.

That's what he said for about 10 minutes

viento1602
09-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, see the post title above^^^.

McCoy needs to go, I don't see us winning anything under him. Period. He is so painfully predictable and he lacks intensity. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy, just not HC material.

As we languish in mediocrity the rest of the AFC west is blooming into the best division in football, seriously. I could see any of the other three teams making the playoffs and making a run at a title, just not us.

Perhaps we need to let go of TT as well. The epic meltdown yesterday was one part terrible coaching, and one part inadequate personnel. You need to have at least one other guy on the team who can effectively play the WR1 role even if you have to adjust a bit. And, in addition I believe we have hamstrung ourselves with unproven, green kickers. I saw nothing yesterday to inspire any confidence in our kicking game, our coaching or our remaining WR core. I really think we may be cooked for the year already.

Please prove me wrong, but I predict no more then six wins from this team at this point.

Just fire MM, fire TT and get to work now or burn another year of PRs effort for nothing...

SMH...

SDCMB1993
09-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, see the post title above^^^.

McCoy needs to go, I don't see us winning anything under him. Period. He is so painfully predictable and he lacks intensity. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy, just not HC material.

As we languish in mediocrity the rest of the AFC west is blooming into the best division in football, seriously. I could see any of the other three teams making the playoffs and making a run at a title, just not us.

Perhaps we need to let go of TT as well. The epic meltdown yesterday was one part terrible coaching, and one part inadequate personnel. You need to have at least one other guy on the team who can effectively play the WR1 role even if you have to adjust a bit. And, in addition I believe we have hamstrung ourselves with unproven, green kickers. I saw nothing yesterday to inspire any confidence in our kicking game, our coaching or our remaining WR core. I really think we may be cooked for the year already.

Please prove me wrong, but I predict no more then six wins from this team at this point.

Just fire MM, fire TT and get to work now or burn another year of PRs effort for nothing...

SMH...

TT is ok.. not everyone he's brought in is gold, but he's built the team decently just to have McCoy tear it apart.

viento1602
09-12-2016, 11:05 AM
TT is ok.. not everyone he's brought in is gold, but he's built the team decently just to have McCoy tear it apart.

I cant justify the kicking game. We suck at special teams. TT is directly responsible for the lack of talent in that phase, IMO.

BearWithJetpack
09-12-2016, 11:08 AM

What we need is to go out and have a great week of practice. Just fantastic. And then we need to go out and execute on game day. We have our game plan, we just need to execute it on the field. That's on me. I mean Mike.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Ironically, we kept MG out of the game to avoid fumbles and turning the ball over, but we punt in about 3 snaps anyways.

i sure hope that isn't the reason

viento1602
09-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Ironically, we kept MG out of the game to avoid fumbles and turning the ball over, but we punt in about 3 snaps anyways.

Naw, I cant see that as the reason. In fact I can't see any real good reason to go away from utilizing our RB1 at all. Oh, other then inept and reprehensible coaching...

SD SneakKing
09-12-2016, 11:36 AM

SMH...

If TT was smart, he would try to put some pressure on Spanos to can MM while it's early in the season. It will be interesting to see who TT brings in to fill in the void at WR with KA being out.

viento1602
09-12-2016, 11:39 AM
If TT was smart, he would try to put some pressure on Spanos to can MM while it's early in the season. It will be interesting to see who TT brings in to fill in the void at WR with KA being out.

They are not going to bring in anyone, bet. If they do it will be no one special. TT is not good at his job, MM is not good at his job. We are doomed, sky is definitely falling. really.

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
It is Monday afternoon......still have not seen the announcement about McCoy being fired.

Mastodon
09-12-2016, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to jump to Whisenhunt as HC either. Surely, he must deserve a fair share of the blame for yesterday's game.

Chargerfreak
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to jump to Whisenhunt as HC either. Surely, he must deserve a fair share of the blame for yesterday's game.

I for one, thought he called a great game. Gordon, no TD's last year had 2 yesterday. The plays he drew up for Williams were genius. I think young Williams was surprised at how open he was. Good red zone calls too.

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 01:10 PM

I would just jump straight to Matt Patricia and let him run with it this year as he wants......win, lose, doesn't matter. Let him make his rookie HC mistakes, and gain a solid understanding of the players' abilities, or lack of.....

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I for one, thought he called a great game. Gordon, no TD's last year had 2 yesterday. The plays he drew up for Williams were genius. I think young Williams was surprised at how open he was. Good red zone calls too.

For one half....

r0j0
09-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm not necessarily a McCoy fan; however, there are a lot of people saying we were too conservative in yesterday's game and I'm not so sure that is true. We were running the ball well against the chiefs, our two backs almost averaged 5 yards a carry between the two. There were two drives in the 4th quarter where there were tipped passes that would have most likely been completions, kept the drives alive and possibly led to field goals. One was the drive after the interception, a slant to Benjamin that would have been completed for the first down that was tipped by on of the Chiefs' defensive linemen. The other was a pass to Williams that was knocked down by a linebacker. We complete one or both of those then we most likely win. Also, both of those plays came on 3rd and short so running the ball the first two downs was actually beneficial.

Deciding to go for the field goal was the right decision in my opinion. You have to be able to rely on your kicker to make a 53 yarder in a game where 3 points puts the game almost out of hand. At that point, if Lambo had made that fieldgoal then the chiefs would have had to score 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm not necessarily a McCoy fan; however, there are a lot of people saying we were too conservative in yesterday's game and I'm not so sure that is true. We were running the ball well against the chiefs, our two backs almost averaged 5 yards a carry between the two. There were two drives in the 4th quarter where there were tipped passes that would have most likely been completions, kept the drives alive and possibly led to field goals. One was the drive after the interception, a slant to Benjamin that would have been completed for the first down that was tipped by on of the Chiefs' defensive linemen. The other was a pass to Williams that was knocked down by a linebacker. We complete one or both of those then we most likely win. Also, both of those plays came on 3rd and short so running the ball the first two downs was actually beneficial.

Deciding to go for the field goal was the right decision in my opinion. You have to be able to rely on your kicker to make a 53 yarder in a game where 3 points puts the game almost out of hand. At that point, if Lambo had made that fieldgoal then the chiefs would have had to score 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

The score never should have got close enough again that you needed to rely on the FG......

RCCthatsme
09-12-2016, 01:14 PM
100% is not enough. Is there such thing as a 1,000%?

Unless you are talking about supersaturation of solutions, no.

Not that you care, but it drives me nuts when people say they are giving 110% or any % over 100%. :nono::crazy:

topcat4477
09-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Good point...after all, Whiz DID call all those shotgun snaps in the second half instead of sticking with what worked with Rivers under center and Gordon piling up the yards...UNLESS MM specifically instructed Whiz to lay off the under center, and revert back to the shotgun security blanket...

AK46um
09-12-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm not necessarily a McCoy fan; however, there are a lot of people saying we were too conservative in yesterday's game and I'm not so sure that is true.

Not necessarily the plays were conservative but the mindset approach in the 2nd half was that we've got the lead so no need to play to win but rather to not lose. So instead of calling plays to try to score TDs and using holes big enough to fit 3 J-Walls, instead of press man to man coverage on WRs and sacking/hitting Alex Smith we chose the opposite.

Called conservative plays to try to get 1st downs via obvious runs, shut down the Gordon Gashing and wide open running lanes to give their O-line a break, shut down Rivers from attacking Marcus Peters (even without Allen Rivers would've killed him), gave Alex Smith time in the pocket and also threw in soft zone coverage with lots of space underneath for his TE/WRs to develop rhythm, also allowed the once quite crowd to come alive. The opposite of conservative is aggressive and we sure weren't aggressive in the 2nd half.

topcat4477
09-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Sorry, but after that pathetic second half vs. Kansas City, the Chargers have, in my humble opinion, reached a new low. To be so dominant in the first half, then blow a huge lead only to let the Chiefs back into the game, was a disgrace. And no, it wasn't just the players failing to execute, Mr. McCoy. Yes, Kaser's punting was atrocious, but he's a rookie who hopefully settles down. Yes, Lambo missing that field goal attempt hurts, but it was a 50+ yarder, and you're not always going to make all of those, especially in KC. Yes, it hurt to lose Keenan Allen, but we have battled back with backup receivers in the past.

But what really sealed the Chargers' doom was NOT playing pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. If having Rivers under center and Gordon tearing it up in their first half was working so well, WHY in the world abandon what was working so well, only to revert back to that same, predictable shotgun in the second half? That's a coaching decision. If this was totally Wisenhunt's decision, then HE needs to explain why he abandoned what was working to go into "prevent offense." No, Mr. McCoy, this loss is on you. And we have seen this many times before. The Bolts start off well, but just can't finish. This is due to poor coaching, plain and simple.

In the old days, we had "Martyball." It's time to the era of "Mikeyball" to come to an end.

LongTimeOCBolts
09-12-2016, 01:37 PM
In before Siberia relocation.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Sorry, but after that pathetic second half vs. Kansas City, the Chargers have, in my humble opinion, reached a new low. To be so dominant in the first half, then blow a huge lead only to let the Chiefs back into the game, was a disgrace. And no, it wasn't just the players failing to execute, Mr. McCoy. Yes, Kaser's punting was atrocious, but he's a rookie who hopefully settles down. Yes, Lambo missing that field goal attempt hurts, but it was a 50+ yarder, and you're not always going to make all of those, especially in KC. Yes, it hurt to lose Keenan Allen, but we have battled back with backup receivers in the past.

But what really sealed the Chargers' doom was NOT playing pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. If having Rivers under center and Gordon tearing it up in their first half was working so well, WHY in the world abandon what was working so well, only to revert back to that same, predictable shotgun in the second half? That's a coaching decision. If this was totally Wisenhunt's decision, then HE needs to explain why he abandoned what was working to go into "prevent offense." No, Mr. McCoy, this loss is on you. And we have seen this many times before. The Bolts start off well, but just can't finish. This is due to poor coaching, plain and simple.

In the old days, we had "Martyball." It's time to the era of "Mikeyball" to come to an end.

tl; dr

yes

packman76
09-12-2016, 01:41 PM
In before Siberia relocation.

For McCoy or the thread?

midnight
09-12-2016, 01:44 PM

We need a poll! Yes its time for all 3phases to move on.

r0j0
09-12-2016, 01:44 PM
The score never should have got close enough again that you needed to rely on the FG......

At that point, the game wasn't close, so in my opinion the field goal was the right choice.

Also, it's the NFL, games are more often than not decided but field goals, just look at the scores from yesterday.

r0j0
09-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Not necessarily the plays were conservative but the mindset approach in the 2nd half was that we've got the lead so no need to play to win but rather to not lose. So instead of calling plays to try to score TDs and using holes big enough to fit 3 J-Walls, instead of press man to man coverage on WRs and sacking/hitting Alex Smith we chose the opposite.

Called conservative plays to try to get 1st downs via obvious runs, shut down the Gordon Gashing and wide open running lanes to give their O-line a break, shut down Rivers from attacking Marcus Peters (even without Allen Rivers would've killed him), gave Alex Smith time in the pocket and also threw in soft zone coverage with lots of space underneath for his TE/WRs to develop rhythm, also allowed the once quite crowd to come alive. The opposite of conservative is aggressive and we sure weren't aggressive in the 2nd half.

Yea you might be right but I can't say if the approach/mindset to the 2nd half was the to try and not lose rather than play to win.

I do agree that Gordon needed to be given more snaps. I love Woodhead but I don't think he should be doubling the amount of snaps that Gordon has...something like 50 to 22

SDCMB1993
09-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Yea you might be right but I can't say if the approach/mindset to the 2nd half was the to try and not lose rather than play to win.

I do agree that Gordon needed to be given more snaps. I love Woodhead but I don't think he should be doubling the amount of snaps that Gordon has...something like 50 to 22

Seriously though. Woodhead is a 3rd down back. If anything, he should have half the carries Gordon has. By the number of tackles he breaks, he's got a good chance to break a long one and take it to the end zone every time he touches the ball.

Is it cuz they don't trust Gordon?

BitterFan
09-12-2016, 02:12 PM

I thought Reich was calling the 2nd half....

AK46um
09-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Good point on Gordon's touches. I think with having a 3-score lead it would've been a perfect time for Rivers to semi take over/manage the game. Essentially moved the chains. I thought KC couldn't handle Woodhead used in space (such as his touchdown catch). Rivers was having his way with their CBs and LBs. Its obvious Rivers (with no Houston and a declining Hali) gave us the best chance to win/keep the lead. Yeah there's the risk of incompletions stopping the clock but Rivers and our offense had tons of momentum. We should've rode it and then shut if down with like 4-5 minutes to go. On defensive stretches in the 2nd half just to much space underneath to give up with the talent we have. We were giving away 1st downs way to easily. Pagano did an excellent job rotating our bigs and bringing constant attacking pressure at POA in the 1st half. We left lots of gas in the tank on the sidelines I thought.

Totally Bolted
09-12-2016, 02:58 PM
At that point, the game wasn't close, so in my opinion the field goal was the right choice.

Also, it's the NFL, games are more often than not decided but field goals, just look at the scores from yesterday.

You are correct the bolts still had a 14 lead.
He was within FG range too. Some are calling for a punt would have been better, but if you can put points on the board...

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 03:02 PM

My point was allowing the other team back into the game.....not the choice between FG or punt.

Oh, and it was poor leadership by McCoy....... specially for you TB ;)

cloudparty
09-12-2016, 03:10 PM
He was within FG range too. Some are calling for a punt would have been better, but if you can put points on the board...

Agree to disagree. It was a yard longer then his career longest, wasn't it? Either go for it (and not get it but not give them 15 yards) or punt it. I'd've gone for it, but punting seemed like a good idea too. The FG attempt was (IMO) stupid and I said that before it missed. 5 yards closer and I agree with you.

Of course, if he makes it, it's all good. And if the rookie punter sends out an average punt on the next drive, we win as well. (Mike S may have been on the downside of his career, but he'd have hit better than 17 yards.

So much went wrong. But really, I think you HAVE to feed the RB there. He should have more than 15 carries in a game where we held a 3 TD lead for most of the time.

Junior Teo
09-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Embarrassing. I didn't even go in to work today. Done with em

Mike8272
09-12-2016, 03:31 PM
The issue I have with firing Mike McCoy after one game, or even after a few games, is will the person that takes over from his make that much of a difference to this team?

I guess Ken Whisenhunt did well in his first three seasons with the Cardinals, and when Kurt Warner retired, his Cardinals team was never the same. With the Titans he never really had much to work with either, and perhaps was harshly fired by the Titans when they were clearly a rebuilding team. It's not like his replacement Mike Mularkey has done much to warrant a third head coaching gig. I suppose Whisenhunt could takeover until the end of the season and with a veteran QB he might be able to do something, though I doubt it would make much of a difference unless Mike McCoy is holding him back?

John Pagano has been here so long he's become part of the furniture. Maybe he could get a crack at the head coaches job if McCoy is fired, and let Whisenhunt do his thing on offense. That type of partnership could work. But as a first time head coach, would he be able to make the difference and changes required in a short span of time? I'm not sure.

So at the minute I am hesitant to jump on the "fire McCoy bandwagon", but I wouldn't be against it either. For me, he shouldn't have got a fourth season to begin with and we should have gone for a new head coach. Someone that could come in and revitalise things, but we went safe, and possibly for a temporary head coach for a potential lame duck season on the basis that we could end up announcing relocation before the season ends if the vote fails. Is that a possibility? If so, then it doesn't really matter who is the head coach because this could end up being a wasted season if the vote doesn't go our way and the ownership decide to move without trying something different.

electricgold
09-12-2016, 04:05 PM
The issue I have with firing Mike McCoy after one game, or even after a few games, is will the person that takes over from his make that much of a difference to this team?

I guess Ken Whisenhunt did well in his first three seasons with the Cardinals, and when Kurt Warner retired, his Cardinals team was never the same. With the Titans he never really had much to work with either, and perhaps was harshly fired by the Titans when they were clearly a rebuilding team. It's not like his replacement Mike Mularkey has done much to warrant a third head coaching gig. I suppose Whisenhunt could takeover until the end of the season and with a veteran QB he might be able to do something, though I doubt it would make much of a difference unless Mike McCoy is holding him back?

John Pagano has been here so long he's become part of the furniture. Maybe he could get a crack at the head coaches job if McCoy is fired, and let Whisenhunt do his thing on offense. That type of partnership could work. But as a first time head coach, would he be able to make the difference and changes required in a short span of time? I'm not sure.

So at the minute I am hesitant to jump on the "fire McCoy bandwagon", but I wouldn't be against it either. For me, he shouldn't have got a fourth season to begin with and we should have gone for a new head coach. Someone that could come in and revitalise things, but we went safe, and possibly for a temporary head coach for a potential lame duck season on the basis that we could end up announcing relocation before the season ends if the vote fails. Is that a possibility? If so, then it doesn't really matter who is the head coach because this could end up being a wasted season if the vote doesn't go our way and the ownership decide to move without trying something different.

its really simple if you change the coach, which they should you hire Whisenhunt because he knows the team. he's with the team...

topcat4477
09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
its really simple if you change the coach, which they should you hire Whisenhunt because he knows the team. he's with the team...

Agree. Whiz takes over as HC, AND continues to call the plays, just like Norv...uh, I mean Whiz calls GOOD, unpredictable plays, unlike Norv, but wears the headset like Norv...there...fixed it...

Bolted
09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
We have such a talented group of guys capable on winning games well above .500.

If MM can't get it together,even with the loss of The Slayer, he should be given the boot.

But for who??? Ok.. too early to start this discussion.

That all said, I have complete faith in him that he'll coach us into the PO. 15 more games. I'm not going anywhere.

r0j0
09-12-2016, 05:27 PM

Actually I believe they were up by by 17 and the FG would have put them up by 20...anyways, I think anything under 54/55 yards you have to expect your kicker to make it more often than not

DefenseWins
09-12-2016, 05:33 PM
The Whiz took old man Kurt Warner to a Superbowl... Lets see what he can do with PR. Fire McCoy...

Based on the game yesterday, Wiz isn't any better...maybe worse.

SDCPB
09-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Gordon needed more touches. He was killing the Chiefs.

topcat4477
09-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Based on the game yesterday, Wiz isn't any better...maybe worse.

I really wonder about that. Why do I get the impression that Whiz was in complete command of the playcalling the first half, but was pressured by MM to call conservative plays the second half?

BitterFan
09-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I really wonder about that. Why do I get the impression that Whiz was in complete command of the playcalling the first half, but was pressured by MM to call conservative plays the second half?

It was crazy insane how they reverted back to the Reich offense in the second half & Woodhead ball. Two completely different offenses. Rivers was in the gun way too much in the 2nd half.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 06:14 PM

because you want to let Wiz off the hook.

electricgold
09-12-2016, 06:23 PM
because you want to let Wiz off the hook.

Put it this way the play calling, Oline & running game look much better under Whiz when running on all cylinders like in the first half, I mean especially like in the first half... However as a whole the entire game looked feel'd & smelled like a typical MM coached game, outcome included... We've seen this again and again?

El Tee
09-12-2016, 06:34 PM
We lost KA and the entire team collapsed. That's on McCoy. No two ways about it.

Allen is remarkable, but the OL played their hearts out and we were running the ball well with Gordon. For us to play scared and take our foot off the pedal is 100% on the HC.

Raian-san
09-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I also blame the lost on coaching. It's the same year after year. There's no halftime adjustments or in game adjustments. McCoy plays too safe, conservative and more often than not, cost us the game. We definitely need a hard nose, tough defensive minded head coach that will hold people accountable and play to win instead of playing not to lose.

chargertom
09-12-2016, 07:20 PM
No Brady, no Gronkowski, at home, and a missed field goal away from winning.

Everyone loves Arians. Lots of folks wanted him here, right?

Well, here's what he had to say about the Cards loss yesterday.

"We were obviously not ready to play," Arians said after the game. "They outplayed us and we will learn from it and grow from it and continue.

"There's a long way to go and regroup and see if we can win the next one."

ltinabottle
09-12-2016, 07:22 PM
"No risk it no biscuit." Bruce Arians.

If Arians was our coach in that situation, you go for the juggler not play to lose.

The last two minutes made me sick. The playing to lose attitude pervaded our whole team. MM standing there by himself with his arms crossed does not bode well to the team. Players make plays...time to have amnesia and move forward. Gotta play and coach better to give the team fighting chance of remaining in SD.
We lost KA and the entire team collapsed. That's on McCoy. No two ways about it.

Allen is remarkable, but the OL played their hearts out and we were running the ball well with Gordon. For us to play scared and take our foot off the pedal is 100% on the HC.

topcat4477
09-12-2016, 07:25 PM

"We were obviously not ready to play," Arians said after the game. "They outplayed us and we will learn from it and grow from it and continue.

Tom, there's one BIG difference between the Bolts loss and the Cards loss. The Bolts had a huge lead and then went Mikeyball conservative and let the Chefs back into the game. The Cards fell behind early, came back, continued to march down the field a few times and score in the second half, but came up short. That bad snap I think caused just a slight delay in the tee-up and thus the missed FG. Cards made a great effort and came up short. Bolts quit trying the second half and gave the game away. Huge difference.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 07:25 PM
"No risk it no biscuit." Bruce Arians.

If Arians was our coach in that situation, you go for the juggler not play to lose.

The last two minutes made me sick. The playing to lose attitude pervaded our whole team. MM standing there by himself with his arms crossed does not bode well to the team. Players make plays...time to have amnesia and move forward. Gotta play and coach better to give the team fighting chance of remaining in SD.

what i do?

http://www.circusberzercus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/elfic-the-juggler.jpg

ODonnell
09-12-2016, 07:26 PM
The decision to go for the 54 yard field goal yesterday was such a boneheaded play-call and it's the type of call that fans have come to expect from McCoy. Those decisions fall on the head coach and can often turn a winning game into a losing one. McCoy makes terrible decisions like that field goal more often than not and I simply just don't understand the reason for keeping him around.

In his post game press conference McCoy refused to take any accountability for any of the terrible decisions that took place in this game. Instead he took every opportunity he could to deflect the blame and throw his assistants under the bus. This team is a reflection of it's coach. Weak.

He's gotta go.

chargertom
09-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Bolts quit trying the second half and gave the game away. Huge difference.

I was more referring to how everyone is moaning and groaning about the pressers McCoy gave.

Yet when Arians uses the same generic coachspeak, people start making excuses for him.

And both teams lost. Do the circumstances make one loss count less than the other?

DefenseWins
09-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Barfed my way through MM's presser today...

Wasn't lack of focus, was lack of execution...
If it wasn't focus, then why the "lack of execution"?? So the players suddenly tanked and it had nothing to do with coaching? :crazy:

Always look at coaches first...
Starting with.... the HC. He gets credit for a partial answer.

Not the same. Everything different, different players, different team, different year...
What he doesn't say is it's the same HC...

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 07:40 PM
I was more referring to how everyone is moaning and groaning about the pressers McCoy gave.

Yet when Arians uses the same generic coachspeak, people start making excuses for him.

And both teams lost. Do the circumstances make one loss count less than the other?

Az: Fire Arians!

florida SD fan
09-12-2016, 07:41 PM
MM will make a very average OC on a very bad team next year.

ltinabottle
09-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Remember when the Bolts came from behind to beat the Bengals at home? This was during the 2006 season. They were up 28-7 at one point. LT went nuts scoring several touch downs and Rivers engineered drives to lead the Chargers to a 49-41 come from behind win!

As elated as we felt that Sunday...we feel like Bengal fans did yesterday. It happens unfortunately...time to be resilient and bounce back from the loss.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 07:50 PM
I think Mccoy may be the worst charger coach i've ever seen. Henning was bad, this guy seems worse.

chargertom
09-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I think Mccoy may be the worst charger coach i've ever seen. Henning was bad, this guy seems worse.

Gilbride would like a word with you. :D

BoltBacker4Life
09-12-2016, 07:53 PM
If I owned the team, MM would be fired this morning and Whiz would be promoted for the rest of the year. Assess the situation with Whiz at years end but get MM the heck out of here ASAP!!!!

marion butts
09-12-2016, 07:55 PM

eh, gilbride was 3-5 with a declining Humphries before he got concussed out of football and then had Craig Whelihan and Ryan Leaf as his QBs for the next 14 games before he got canned. He managed 2 wins. I'd take that over Mccoy. Rivers was considered borderline HOF until recently.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 07:57 PM
If I owned the team, MM would be fired this morning and Whiz would be promoted for the rest of the year. Assess the situation with Whiz at years end but get MM the heck out of here ASAP!

pretty much if any of us owned the team we wouldve fired Mccoy last year.

jubei
09-12-2016, 07:57 PM

yeah but when you hear this from him u believe it. would anyone believe it if mm said that. cant even compare Bruce Arians to McCoy.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 08:00 PM

harland svare was the worst i ever saw but Gilbride and Henning gave him a run

marion butts
09-12-2016, 08:01 PM
harland svare was the worst i ever saw but Gilbride and Henning gave him a run

i have henning as #2 behind Mccoy. Didnt see Svare.

RickWG
09-12-2016, 08:03 PM
McCoy, If I say what I want to I will be banned from the site. There is no way anyone can watch yesterday's game and make the kinds of conclusions he is making and be competent. Watched the monday presser and this guy is delusional. This was not failure to execute. This was failure of coaching pure and simple. Fire this guy. Now.

ReadyToBolt
09-12-2016, 08:05 PM
pretty much if any of us owned the team we wouldve fired Mccoy last year.

Maybe MM doesn't have offset language in his contract.

BoltBacker4Life
09-12-2016, 08:05 PM
How you go from looking the best you have in years to the same old nonsense from the last three years is mind boggling

It's as if MM can't help himself and has to resort back to that shotgun crap.

guerro619
09-12-2016, 09:01 PM
The decision to go for the 54 yard field goal yesterday was such a boneheaded play-call and it's the type of call that fans have come to expect from McCoy. Those decisions fall on the head coach and can often turn a winning game into a losing one. McCoy makes terrible decisions like that field goal more often than not and I simply just don't understand the reason for keeping him around.

In his post game press conference McCoy refused to take any accountability for any of the terrible decisions that took place in this game. Instead he took every opportunity he could to deflect the blame and throw his assistants under the bus. This team is a reflection of it's coach. Weak.

He's gotta go.

You dont remember last year McCoy called for the ball to be punted instead of trying for the FG with just a couple of minutes left??? Everyone said he should have kicked it.

marion butts
09-12-2016, 09:02 PM
You dont remember last year McCoy called for the ball to be punted instead of trying for the FG with just a couple of minutes left??? Everyone said he should have kicked it.

I don't remember. Refresh my memory.

woodeye2000
09-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Al Saunders.
Mike Riley.
This rounds out the big five.
Where do you slot MM ?
He set the bar high for himself.
Making the playoffs in '13.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 09:08 PM
How you go from looking the best you have in years to the same old nonsense from the last three years is mind boggling

It's as if MM can't help himself and has to resort back to that shotgun crap.

The whole entire team went from an unstoppable TD scoring, pounding, sacking, run stiluffing juggernaut to the worst and softest looking group of *****cats I've ever seen. I would say it was Jekyll and Hyde but it was more extreme than that.

Everybody was affected. Offense, defense and special teams.

frozendisc
09-12-2016, 09:11 PM
The whole entire team went from an unstoppable TD scoring, pounding, sacking, run stiluffing juggernaut to the worst and softest looking group of *****cats I've ever seen. I would say it was Jekyll and Hyde but it was more extreme than that.

So sad.....

On the bright side, 0-16 is attainable, but looking like 1-15......

HeadTrip
09-12-2016, 09:12 PM
I think Whiz takes over by mid-season. I'm not convinced that isn't the equivalent of going back to Norv though.

Fudge
09-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Watching the 49ers Monday night game and can't help but notice that Chip Kelly has gone for it on 4th down three times now. 4th and 6 on the last one. Wish we had guts like that on our coaching staff.

BitterFan
09-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Much more extreme...This was worst to me than that Texans loss. We were winning it in the trenches majorly on both sides which I have not seen us do it like that since???? I mean we just looked so dominant & physical & then boom back to reality, just kidding!

Dha
09-12-2016, 09:29 PM
2016 is the year..........McCoy will not last after the bye week.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Much more extreme...This was worst to me than that Texans loss. We were winning it in the trenches majorly on both sides which I have not seen us do it like that since???? I mean we just looked so dominant & physical & then boom back to reality, just kidding!

Freaky. Like a Halloween game

woodeye2000
09-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Philon looked good before he got dinged.

We were undermanned at Dline, affecting our LB play.

Also, the WR situation affected playcalling.

I am simply not ready to say this fits the CMB template.

Home opener--bounce back.

:Football:

marion butts
09-12-2016, 09:45 PM
No Charles, no Houston. And you forgot to mention that Bill Bellichek is the best HC in football.

If we had played the Pats team that Arizona played yesterday in SD, Chargers would have got their ass kicked 38-3 or 32-10 or something like that.

And quick tell me Arians record vs McCoy's again? Yea that's what I thought.

It's disgraceful for you to even compare Arians who is highly regarded by everyone as one of the best coaches in football to a nobody like McCoy.

1-0? 1 pt difference? :95:

Joseph1
09-12-2016, 09:54 PM
We should not fire McCoy yet because that would mean that we are giving up on our season. It is too early to give up on the season. We could still end up having a great season. Give McCoy a chance.

perryao
09-12-2016, 09:56 PM
eh, gilbride was 3-5 with a declining Humphries before he got concussed out of football and then had Craig Whelihan and Ryan Leaf as his QBs for the next 14 games before he got canned. He managed 2 wins. I'd take that over Mccoy. Rivers was considered borderline HOF until recently. What about Svare? the two wallers? How about Ortmayer as GM? hahah.

Throw Back
09-12-2016, 10:17 PM
We should not fire McCoy yet because that would mean that we are giving up on our season. It is too early to give up on the season. We could still end up having a great season. Give McCoy a chance.
The Chargers will not fire MM too early but will fire him too late just like they did with Norv. Don't be surprised if MM gets an extension.

The Moekid
09-12-2016, 10:32 PM

You could also make the argument that keeping McCoy is really giving up on the season and the only hope for Savin it is by replacing hm now before its flushed down the toilet

SuperBowlBolts
09-12-2016, 10:45 PM
The Chargers will not fire MM too early but will fire him too late just like they did with Norv. Don't be surprised if MM gets an extension.

We'll fire McCoy and pick up Jeff Fisher.....

ChargerBacker
09-12-2016, 11:37 PM
The lack of killer instinct is a reflection of MM. When he gets a lead, he goes into a shell and plays not to lose instead of playing to win. The offense loses it's rhythm and momentum and the defense is left on the field too long and tires out. Blown leads and frustrating losses is not a pattern we want to continue. Bring in a new coach who can lead and instill confidence.

guerro619
09-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Watching the 49ers Monday night game and can't help but notice that Chip Kelly has gone for it on 4th down three times now. 4th and 6 on the last one. Wish we had guts like that on our coaching staff.

Chip is only as good as a college coach. He wont last long. Only lasted a year with the Eagles. He will burn his players with his coaching style.

Ina way i wish McCoy would change his style.

guerro619
09-12-2016, 11:47 PM
No Charles, no Houston. And you forgot to mention that Bill Bellichek is the best HC in football.

If we had played the Pats team that Arizona played yesterday in SD, Chargers would have got their ass kicked 38-3 or 32-10 or something like that.

It's disgraceful for you to even compare Arians who is highly regarded by everyone as one of the best coaches in football to a nobody like McCoy.

One of the best??? Provide a link to support you.

SD SneakKing
09-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Just in... McCoy to Fisher...

"I'm no longer the most hated coach in So Cal. Thanks bud ;) "

The Moekid
09-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Chip is only as good as a college coach. He wont last long. Only lasted a year with the Eagles. He will burn his players with his coaching style.

Ina way i wish McCoy would change his style.

Really? Chip coached one year with the Eagles? Give us a link.

guerro619
09-13-2016, 12:01 AM
NFL.com - Arians rank #5, McCoy #23

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000671714

Metro - Arians #3, McCoy #26

http://www.metro.us/sports/2016-nfl-head-coach-power-rankings-bill-belichick-still-reigns-supreme/zsJpbn---6fGw7qcLe3HQM/

USA Today - Arians #3, McCoy #26

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/nfl-head-coach-rankings-bill-belichick

All I did was type "best nfl coaches" on google and these are the first 3 links.

Yes he has a better record, but to say he is one of the best in such a short year.

guerro619
09-13-2016, 12:03 AM
Really? Chip coached one year with the Eagles? Give us a link.

My bad. A couple of years. 2 that is.

The Moekid
09-13-2016, 12:06 AM
My bad. A couple of years. 2 that is.

Please provide a link before u answer again

jubei
09-13-2016, 12:08 AM
We'll fire McCoy and pick up Jeff Fisher.....
Fisher is a dirty scumbag of a coach and isnt a good one either...he sux as a matter of fact. I'm surprised the Rams have kept him this long. Now THEY are holding on much longer.

LongTimeOCBolts
09-13-2016, 01:43 AM
Fisher is a dirty scumbag of a coach and isnt a good one either...he sux as a matter of fact. I'm surprised the Rams have kept him this long. Now THEY are holding on much longer.

And the Chargers would lose the old-school portion of their fan base were they even to interview the lowest, dirtiest, cheapest, most overrated, Charger-injuring coach in the history of the NFL.

[SPIT]

[SPIT again]!

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 03:29 AM
For one half....

Since this isn't hockey, let me help you. You should ratched it down with a lead like that in the second half. You don't want to risk handing the team opportunities. Run the ball, short passes, ball control, eat the clock. Just because fans don't like it doesn't mean its not sound football, because it is.

I suppose you want to put a knee brace on KA, have him run down 40 yards and have PR throw it to Peters for the pick on 4 straight drives. The football staff have other ideas.

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 03:32 AM
For one half....

Whiz is a good OC. I know you love Frank Reich, but he's gone now.

Just general coach bashing on your part for no reason is really lame. Have a take on here, please. Know the differences before posting. If McCoy is miserable, then please, have at it. But if we have a good one, try acknowledging that too. It would go a long way in balancing your approach. Might give you some credibility too.

woodeye2000
09-13-2016, 04:00 AM
Davidson/DeGuglielmo are doing a great job.

DefenseWins
09-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Granted, players have to play, as they still had to after the Chargers built a 24-3 lead on K.C. (the edge was 17 points more than 5 minutes into the fourth quarter) and had silenced one of loudest venues in sports (basically emptied it). But they still are required to follow instructions.

And the instructions suddenly stunk. McCoy went Schottenheimer-conservative (except, despite it all, Marty probably still would have won) when the Chiefs were lemons hanging so low a gopher could have picked them.

The Chargersí offensive line blocked well early for tailbacks Melvin Gordon and Danny Woodhead, and quarterback Philip Rivers was on it, with time to throw and Keenan Allen continuously open. But Allen went down, and the tires went flat.

McCoy insists there was nothing wrong with Gordon, who rarely was used after halftime, and from then on Rivers mysteriously lined up almost exclusively from the shotgun. Why did the Chargers move up to draft Gordon? For him to sit? They had 16 first downs by break, 20 shortly thereafter, and finished with 25.

The Chiefs do not have the offensive personnel ó even with tailback Jamal Charles ó to come back from 21 points down on anybody. How did they do it without their best offensive player while the Chargers swooned without their greatest weapon?

Coaching. McCoy coached these guys into a loss.
The rest of the story is here (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/12/chargers-mike-mccoy-coach-belichick/)...

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 04:48 AM
Davidson/DeGuglielmo are doing a great job.

Don't tell frozen. They just all suck and have no business being in the NFL. He knows better.

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 04:49 AM
The rest of the story is here (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/12/chargers-mike-mccoy-coach-belichick/)...

Absolutely concur. The buck stops there.

jcruz1
09-13-2016, 05:19 AM

We played the 2014 Pats team that went 12-4 AND WON THE SUPERBOWL and gave them hell.

That was with Brady playing us with deflated balls, Cards played a backup.:LightsOut:

jcruz1
09-13-2016, 05:25 AM

The Chargers will score 100 points next game.

Then lose by 1 point somehow.

topcat4477
09-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Might as well as add the memorable June Jones to the mix. Chargers HC Hall of Shame:

McCoy
Gilbride
Henning
Jones
Dishonorable mention: Norv

Years of mediocrity...sigh...

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Might as well as add the memorable June Jones to the mix. Chargers HC Hall of Shame:

McCoy
Gilbride
Henning
Jones
Dishonorable mention: Norv

Years of mediocrity...sigh...

I miss Ted Cottrell.

frozendisc
09-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Don't tell frozen. They just all suck and have no business being in the NFL. He knows better.

I thought the o-line played reasonably well, and noted it earlier.

Slauson has been a huge influence, bringing in a nasty edge that was needed.

Franklin looks like he is less than pleased about his reputation of being weak, and showed a nice nasty side.

Fluker is Fluker, just a big beast that will never be great, but can be acceptably average.

The OT's were good protecting the edge, and ok in run blocking.

All of that for one half.....then it got ugly. That tells me the adjustments were great for KC and bad for the Bolts.... Reid or McCoy....you tell me who blew it ?

Chargerfreak
09-13-2016, 08:35 AM
I thought the o-line played reasonably well, and noted it earlier.

Slauson has been a huge influence, bringing in a nasty edge that was needed.

Franklin looks like he is less than pleased about his reputation of being weak, and showed a nice nasty side.

Fluker is Fluker, just a big beast that will never be great, but can be acceptably average.

The OT's were good protecting the edge, and ok in run blocking.

All of that for one half.....then it got ugly. That tells me the adjustments were great for KC and bad for the Bolts.... Reid or McCoy....you tell me who blew it ?

McCoy. You cannot lose that game, in that situation, and not be to blame.
Comes with the keys.

frozendisc
09-13-2016, 08:49 AM
McCoy. You cannot lose that game, in that situation, and not be to blame.
Comes with the keys.

I understand that the general consensus is it is McCoy's fault, but that really is based off of the lead the Bolts enjoyed. Looking back, the Bolts had a great game plan going into the game, and then halftime adjustments were made. Was it Reid and company making great adjustments, combined with McCoy and company making poor adjustments, which is essentially Reid out coaching McCoy ? Or....what ? Everyone knows I think McCoy is a horrible leader, but I don't question his ability with X's and O's, and yet that 2nd half was just bad.

midnight
09-13-2016, 09:00 AM

We have in all 3phases, still not working. Cant remember the last time we won a game.

chargertom
09-13-2016, 09:16 AM
I understand that the general consensus is it is McCoy's fault, but that really is based off of the lead the Bolts enjoyed. Looking back, the Bolts had a great game plan going into the game, and then halftime adjustments were made. Was it Reid and company making great adjustments, combined with McCoy and company making poor adjustments, which is essentially Reid out coaching McCoy ? Or....what ? Everyone knows I think McCoy is a horrible leader, but I don't question his ability with X's and O's, and yet that 2nd half was just bad.

We brought Whiz in to take over playcalling duties, to free McCoy up to manage the game overall.

Yet, despite his horrible track record, I don't see Whiz's name getting called much. Is he the OC, or what?

marion butts
09-13-2016, 09:17 AM
We brought Whiz in to take over playcalling duties, to free McCoy up to manage the game overall.

Yet, despite his horrible track record, I don't see Whiz's name getting called much. Is he the OC, or what?

We'll have to look at the tape to see what went wrong.

frozendisc
09-13-2016, 09:24 AM

I would assume that McCoy would be involved in both defence and offence halftime adjustments, but more so on the offence side as that is his forte. Was Wiz the guy, or was Wiz just following the direction from McCoy ? Of course that could be applied to Pags as well. Difficult to believe how bad the adjustments were, on both defence and offence. I don't buy the 'execution' argument presented by McCoy. That just stinks of throwing the players under the bus, at least it does to me.

crittydog
09-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Its possible that the team wins enough games to save his job. The best I can reasonably predict is a 9-7 season and a wildcard spot. But I'm more inclined to believe that under McCoy they continue to lose 4th qtr leads. So I see 7-9 or 6-10 as the more likely record for the 2016 season.
And I wouldn't be suprised if it was another 4-12 year.

I simply don't understand why they are not getting their 2015 draft pick who they wanted so bad they traded up for at least 20 touches per game. I don't understand why on 4th and short they don't go for it more. I don't understand why they didn't take a couple deep shots to Benjamin. If they ran Gordon more consistently,they could take a couple play action shots deep to Benjamin or Williams. They have decent cornerbacks, so they should blitz a lot more.

But unfortunately I just see them playing inconsistent football. They will have a solid quarter or 2, but then looked completely pathetic and out of sorts.

And Rivers for whatever reason plays more like a rookie when the game is on the line, I just don't get why he has become so awful in the clutch moments.

Its touch watching them play just good enough to lose.

BitterFan
09-13-2016, 09:36 AM
We'll have to look at the tape to see what went wrong.

Lol i cant believe McCoy said this. Like does he even know whats going on in the game??

RAWDOGG
09-13-2016, 09:39 AM

As we all know they went away with what worked in the first half. Rivers under center, MG in the back field, blitzing, etc....

jpez
09-13-2016, 09:40 AM
We could have had Bruce Arians....

chargertom
09-13-2016, 09:42 AM
We could have had Bruce Arians....

Yes. Then after our first tough loss, we can start the "FIRE ARIANS NOW!" threads.

Great change of pace. :Cheers:

frozendisc
09-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Critty.....

I see average talent, so 7-9 record, before any McCoy impact.

Add in McCoy and any injuries, and this group drops like a rock.

Rivers' playing poor in clutch situations gives me the impression there is little belief in the system, and it producing the positive result sought.

I don't see McCoy as HC past the bye week, but hoping for much sooner.

perryao
09-13-2016, 09:48 AM

I agree with this. Whiz was hailed a hero for '13. Now he comes back and the O sucks in the second half of the Chiefs game and it's McCoy's fault?

EDIT Disclaimer: I don't think McCoy is blameless though. Nor the players.

marion butts
09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Yes. Then after our first tough loss, we can start the "FIRE ARIANS NOW!" threads.

i remember when people were salivating over Rex Ryan. Arians will be replaced soon enough with Mike Zimmer.

Pizzaburrito
09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
MM/Wiz/pagano had a meltdown in the 2ND half -that cannot be argued, BUT:

When was the last time the chargers came out prepared and fired up in the 1st half? Honestly, I can't remember the last time we had a 7+ pt lead in the 1st quarter.

There are some things to build on but we must finish games aggressively, commit to m.gordon, practice the 2 min drill, and blitz more!

marion butts
09-13-2016, 09:54 AM
MM/Wiz/pagano had a meltdown in the 2ND half -that cannot be argued, BUT:

When was the last time the chargers came out prepared and fired up in the 1st half? Honestly, I can't remember the last time we had a 7+ pt lead in the 1st quarter.

There are some things to build on but we must finish games aggressively, commit to m.gordon, practice the 2 min drill, and blitz more!

we scored first against oakland on christmas eve last year to take a 7-0 lead. we were up against Miami 23-0 at the half the week prior to that.

BitterFan
09-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Critty.....

I see average talent, so 7-9 record, before any McCoy impact.

Add in McCoy and any injuries, and this group drops like a rock.

Rivers' playing poor in clutch situations gives me the impression there is little belief in the system, and it producing the positive result sought.

I don't see McCoy as HC past the bye week, but hoping for much sooner.

I just think Rivers does not have "it" in clutch situations like his younger days. But McCoy took the ball out Rivers hands & did not allow him to go & get us in FG position to win the game. 2 and 20 with 40 plus seconds left and we run a draw play....facepalming. idc if you throw a screen or a short pass over the middle. the game is on the line you dont lay down and play for OT.

LightsOut42
09-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Perhaps. But KC wasn't the first tough loss that substantially traces back to poor coaching. How much of the second half adjustments in KC were caused by McCoy (either directly, or by operation of philosophy and culture)? We don't know the precise answer to that. What we know is that he's the HC. However, because both offense and defense appear to have materially shifted away from their respective game plans of the first half, it seems likely to have been a centralized game management decision. If that's not the case, and the OC and DC both have so much autonomy as to cause that kind of change -- and stay with it in spite of clear evidence of failing strategy -- I'm not sure what McCoy does. Some mistakes and less than adequate play are on the players. But the bottom line is on McCoy. (And if Arians were the HC here with the same history as has McCoy, the conclusion would be the same.)

marion butts
09-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I just think Rivers does not have "it" in clutch situations like his younger days. But McCoy took the ball out Rivers hands & did not allow him to go & get us in FG position to win the game. 2 and 20 with 40 plus seconds left and we run a draw play....facepalming. idc if you throw a screen or a short pass over the middle. the game is on the line you dont lay down and play for OT.

and not after giving up 17 unanswered points and not on the road!

jpez
09-13-2016, 10:15 AM
I always have envisioned McCoy just letting his OC and DC coach, without much involvement from him. I obviously don't know for sure, but imo he doesn't get involved or seem to be the kind of guy that takes over. He trusts "the system" and doesn't step in. Was it Whiz that decided not to run with MG in the second half? Or was that the gameplan coming out of the half? Then you must ask yourself, what would Bill have done?

midnight
09-13-2016, 10:17 AM
I always have envisioned McCoy just letting his OC and DC coach, without much involvement from him. I obviously don't know for sure, but imo he doesn't get involved or seem to be the kind of guy that takes over. He trusts "the system" and and doesn't step in. Was it Whiz that decided not to run with MG in the second half? Or was that the gameplan coming out of the half? Then you must ask yourself, what would Bill do?

This is what he's doing, when asked at the presser he didn't even remember what plays were called. So why even have him as a H.C? just promote Whiz, we have nothing to lose at this point.

chargertom
09-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Because we all know Phillip is capable of not listening to anyone because he is the MOST passionate football player ever. He loves to win, McCoy - not so much.

Philip also has the option to change the play at the LOS. If he's elite, and clutch and has "it", then why couldn't he see that what they were doing wasn't working?

Why didn't he start mixing in his own stuff to try and compensate? If he's passionate about winning, then shouldn't he have taken over?

Or did he, and we still stunk it up after halftime?

chargertom
09-13-2016, 10:22 AM
This is what he's doing, when asked at the presser he didn't even remember what plays were called. So why even have him as a H.C? just promote Whiz, we have nothing to lose at this point.

Because the FO isn't as reactionary as the CMB seems to be after one loss?

Firing Norv got us McCoy. Be careful what you wish for ring any bells?

LightsOut42
09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Philip also has the option to change the play at the LOS. If he's elite, and clutch and has "it", then why couldn't he see that what they were doing wasn't working?

Why didn't he start mixing in his own stuff to try and compensate? If he's passionate about winning, then shouldn't he have taken over?

If you have a truly great employee who has technical competence, passion, and good judgement, you give them the room and let them work. And when that doesn't translate into success, you bring them back to your core strategy and operation.

ShockTreatment
09-13-2016, 10:30 AM
McCoy may not call plays, but he determines the strategy. If we are going "conservative" its because he wants it that way. His subordinates try to meet his intent.

BoltBacker4Life
09-13-2016, 10:35 AM

How can Rivers audible personnel on the field? If Rivers had the ability to make substitutions and change certain personnel packages, you best believe he would.

He can only make a cake a certain amount of ways given the ingredients he's given.

The Moekid
09-13-2016, 10:38 AM

good point. i think what you're saying is that the FO is totally incompetent when it comes to hiring coaches so if they fire this one they'll probably find one worse. and you have a point.

The Moekid
09-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Rivers missed some makeable throws in the second half. he looked as rattled as the rest of the team.

ReadyToBolt
09-13-2016, 10:46 AM

I've given MM a lot of latitude and credit for his first season's success, but I have to say at this point MM has made it clear he doesn't have what it takes to be a top-notch NFL coach.

The Donks were a mess a few yrs back under McDaniel. They dumped him and moved forward. When John Fox couldn't get the job done, they dumped him and moved forward.

It's not that MM is not trying; he just doesn't have the ability. I'd appoint Wiz on an interim basis and move forward. If Pagano continues to use his failed 2DL fronts, I'd can him too. Enough is enough.

If TT and JS believe in the talent they have assembled, they should act now.

chargertom
09-13-2016, 10:49 AM
If TT and JS believe in the talent they have assembled, they should act now.

I'll give MM until the bye week. If our losses outnumber our wins, then make the move.

After week one? No, thanks.

BoltBacker4Life
09-13-2016, 10:50 AM
I'll give MM until the bye week. If our losses outnumber our wins, then make the move.

But it's not just week one Tom. It's now 22-27 in 3+ years. That's enough of a window to show you what you have in MM.

RAWDOGG
09-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Rivers missed some makeable throws in the second half. he looked as rattled as the rest of the team.

If you watch the replay on the batted ball that Rivers was fixed on Benjamin in double coverage (I believe it was 3rd and 2) just before missed filed goal. he has Woodhead WIDE OPEN in the top of the screen. Couldve been a TD, definetly a first down and some....

Anyone have the ability to put that play up? BIG mistake by Rivers

RAWDOGG
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
I agree with this. Whiz was hailed a hero for '13. Now he comes back and the O sucks in the second half of the Chiefs game and it's McCoy's fault?

EDIT Disclaimer: I don't think McCoy is blameless though. Nor the players.

You know they went away with going under center and pounding the rock with Gordon because they were afraid he would fumble in the second half. I bet that call came from McCoy.

Gordon was pounding the rock and much like the lack of blitzes in the second half show they played ultra conservative. Not taking one shot with Benjamin who they brought in to stretch the field was also a mistake.

chargertom
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
But it's not just week one Tom. It's now 22-27 in 3+ years. That's enough of a window to show you what you have in MM.

Not with a healthy Oline, and a fresh infusion of talent on both sides of the ball.

Yup, they choked away a tough game, in a loud stadium, on the road versus a division rival that was able to counter everything we tried. The entire team stunk it up in the second half, from McCoy to the Gatorade guy. Did you see McCoy's face when he sipped his Gatorade? Definitely not mixed right.

Show me the same pattern THIS year, with the majority of our starters healthy, a new OC, and all the other positives from the off season, and I'll jump on the Fire McCoy bandwagon so fast, it'll scare ya. :Cheers:

RAWDOGG
09-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Not with a healthy Oline, and a fresh infusion of talent on both sides of the ball.

Yup, they choked away a tough game, in a loud stadium, on the road versus a division rival that was able to counter everything we tried. The entire team stunk it up in the second half, from McCoy to the Gatorade guy. Did you see McCoy's face when he sipped his Gatorade. Definitely not mixed right.

Show me the same pattern THIS year, with the majority of our starters healthy, a new OC, and all the other positives from the off season, and I'll jump on the Fire McCoy bandwagon so fast, it'll scare ya. :Cheers:

Sorry for interjecting, however you could hear crickets in that stadium after the first half.

The Moekid
09-13-2016, 10:57 AM

the bye week is too late this year.

if they're going to fire him, they should do it asap. but they won't.

ReadyToBolt
09-13-2016, 11:03 AM

Come on, Tom. MM turtled up and took away PR's options. Gordon was on the bench most of the 2nd half, so was HH and others.

MM decided to play Danny-ball to minimize the risk of turnovers. He was afraid of playing football and getting the crowd back into the game. He minimized the talent on the field and minimized the Bolts' chances to win, because he coaches out of fear.

The Broncos started a 7th round qb in their opener against the Panthers. Did they turtle up, minimize their options and plays, or did they man up and play football? Imagine if MM were the Broncos coach in that same situation: He would have played afraid, run the ball 50 times, punted 10 times, scored 10 pts or less and lost.

Compare the donks' use of Sieman to MM's coaching. He wouldn't use his 1st round pick, Gordon, much because he was afraid of turnovers. He wouldn't use Henry Hunter, who supposedly has 1st round talent. Why? Because he's afraid -- of mistakes, of turnovers, of getting the crowd back into the game. Afraid, afraid, afraid.

His weak-knee approach doesn't work, it undermines the talent and it minimizes the chances to win. And it's also just plain boring, just as he is.

How can the Bolts demand more from their players than they do from their coaches?

LightsOut42
09-13-2016, 11:05 AM

That may very well be the practical reality, but it's irrational. If the record is 5-5 or worse at the bye, the season is all but over. And as such, a change at that point is nonsensical unless you're giving Wiz an audition for 2017, which seems unlikely. Given McCoy's contract extension and history, it seems more likely that: (1) McCoy will play out at least all of 2016; (2) the SD stadium proposal will fail; (3) the Chargers will move to LA; and (4) the Chargers will attempt to make a splash and rebuild the football staff in hopes of building interest in a failed brand -- and a new fan base.

SDChargeHer
09-13-2016, 11:07 AM

First up - Canepa:

NFL TARMAC SINCE CORYELL HAD HIS AIRLINE! ahhhh my god I love this kinda stuff.. Yes I was yelling on purpose.

ReadyToBolt
09-13-2016, 11:09 AM
If you watch the replay on the batted ball that Rivers was fixed on Benjamin in double coverage (I believe it was 3rd and 2) just before missed filed goal. he has Woodhead WIDE OPEN in the top of the screen. Couldve been a TD, definetly a first down and some....

Anyone have the ability to put that play up? BIG mistake by Rivers

PR is at his worst when he locks in on one player. He also locked in on Woodhead on a throw to the endzone and had Inman wide open for what looked to be an easy td. I never see the coaching staff sitting down with PR during the game to point these things out.