PDA

View Full Version : any movements started to get the Chargers back in SD?

northerner
09-19-2017, 02:45 PM
I am in Northern California, so i am less informed on SD news - is there any type of movement to get the Chargers back in SD?

i think a real change of course would need to happen before the PSL's for the new Rams stadium are sold. with the overwhelming apathy for the "Los Angeles" Chargers, i am figuring it is a good time for SD to try to get them back.

Chargerfreak
09-19-2017, 02:50 PM
FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mayor and Council are still fighting building what should have been done YEARS ago.

They don't even realize the team is gone.

The Moekid
09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Do you think San Diego or any other city is clamoring for this team?

Fudge
09-19-2017, 02:54 PM
I think San Diego would be fine with it as long as Spanos sells the team and the NFL finally stops trying to rake cities over the coals with these stadium deals.

AFBoltFan
09-19-2017, 03:03 PM
San Diego would prob be easier to crawl back to than it is too win the bogus "Fight for LA"...

packman76
09-19-2017, 03:24 PM
San Diego would prob be easier to crawl back to than it is too win the bogus "Fight for LA"...

So far it looks like the visiting teams have been winning the "Fight for LA".

Totally Bolted
09-19-2017, 03:34 PM
The only movement in regards to the bolts back in SD by SD council has been via bowel

21and500
09-19-2017, 03:52 PM
my guess is that the best chance of that ever happening
is if the NFL gets involved.
"LA Chargers were such a failure that it was hurting our brand thus justifying a force-sell" kind of deal.
then the NFL and new owner get to look like heros bring them back to SD.
SD fans will eat it up and LA won't even notice

AFBoltFan
09-19-2017, 04:12 PM
"LA Chargers were such a failure that it was hurting our brand thus justifying a force-sell" kind of deal.

or care...

Midtown Bolt
09-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Oops. I crossed a line. Sorry if I offended anyone by calling the Spanos' family goofs and suggesting John and AG would have to find jobs at Home Depot if their family had to sell the team. My bad. I love Home Depot. And Dean and his sons are really good people. They are a very charitable family.

Fudge
09-19-2017, 04:18 PM

That's what I see happening. I just can't see the NFL sitting by idly while a joke of a franchise continues to struggle to fill seats.

chargertom
09-19-2017, 04:29 PM
That's what I see happening. I just can't see the NFL sitting by idly while a joke of a franchise continues to struggle to fill seats.

The NFL is going to wait at least 2 1/2 more seasons, until both teams are moved into Kroenke's new palace, before they start looking at anything. They're more worried about TV viewership numbers and anthem protests.

And for the first while, I don't think they're going to have problems selling tickets or PSL's. LA is a huge market, and with the latest high tech NFL facility in the country, LA will want to be seen there mingling. So that gives the Chargers 4-5 years to establish an LA fanbase.

San Diego had 15 years to get a stadium deal done. Maybe longer. Moving the team back would cost more than what the city would have had to spend to keep the team from leaving.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

And when's the last time the NFL forced an NFL owner to sell their team? Oh, that's right, never. The Jags stadium has been a ghost town for years, and there was plenty of talk of Khan moving them. The Raiders have had half their stadium tarped for years as well. Did the NFL force Mark to sell after Al died? Nope.

Same can be said for every team struggling to win games, and fill stadiums. With TV money and profit sharing, no owner is going to be "forced" to sell their team. The NFL's profits have more than doubled since Goodell has been the commish, and they're working on a 5 year extension right now.

In other words, get used to more of the same.

chargertom
09-19-2017, 04:32 PM
i am figuring it is a good time for SD to try to get them back.

The best time for SD to get them, was when the stadium was still a possibility. But the voters in SD decided that they didn't want tourists and out of town opposing fans paying for their new stadium.

People talking about the NFL forcing Spanos to sell, and the team moving back to SD are dreaming.

Midtown Bolt
09-19-2017, 04:35 PM
The best time for SD to get them, was when the stadium was still a possibility. But the voters in SD decided that they didn't want tourists and out of town opposing fans paying for their new stadium.

People talking about the NFL forcing Spanos to sell, and the team moving back to SD are dreaming.I think voters in San Diego decided they didn't want to subsidize one of the wealthiest families in San Diego, nor the the wealthiest sports leagues in the nation. Instead of finding a way to do what Kroenke is doing in Los Angeles, Dean decided he would just piggyback off Kroenke.

chargertom
09-19-2017, 04:41 PM
I think voters in San Diego decided they didn't want to subsidize one of the wealthiest families in San Diego, nor the the wealthiest sports leagues in the nation. Instead of finding a way to do what Kroenke is doing in Los Angeles, Dean decided he would just piggyback off Kroenke.

32 teams in the league. How many play in privately owned and financed stadiums?

JimWest
09-19-2017, 08:30 PM

People talking about the NFL forcing Spanos to sell, and the team moving back to SD are dreaming.

Tom, the cavernous, glaring flaw in Measure C was its restriction to San Diego city voters. All the articles I have read strongly indicate that at least 50%, likely more, of San Diego county voters would have voted yes if permitted to vote.

The Chargers fan base was throughout the county, and the majority of them appear to be outside city limits. That limited vote created a misleading, false impression that the majority of San Diego metro area residents didn't want Measure C passed, or care about the Chargers staying.

To give a comparative, Met Life Stadium here in NJ is in the town of East Rutherford. If a future new stadium is to be built, and a vote taken, there is no way on earth the only people permitted to vote would be East Rutherford residents.

ltinabottle
09-20-2017, 01:48 AM
They just left so fans are moving on with life after the San Diego Chargers. From local interviews with former fans, the first year is rough not knowing what to do. I noticed a big attendance jump with the game against Stanford last weekend. Maybe that was just that particular top 20 school and possibly former Charger fans seeking a team to cheer for. About 43,040 fans attended the game. The norm attendance from past games range in the low thirties.

The thought of having the Chargers return is not in the radar. It's more like grieving the loss and moving on. Check back much later...several years maybe a decade down the line. If the Chargers continue to spiral and have losing seasons, the Fight for LA will be not much of a fight, King Kronke decides to raise the ransom to the Spanos family. They take exception...where do they go? What can they do? Would they sell out for the love of money? Maybe then...the talks of returning may then ensue.

SDCPB
09-20-2017, 08:17 AM
FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mayor and Council are still fighting building what should have been done YEARS ago.

They don't even realize the team is gone.

SECOND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chargers bought out their lease with the Q and moved on. They don't realize how different it is in LA.

chargertom
09-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Tom, the cavernous, glaring flaw in Measure C was its restriction to San Diego city voters. All the articles I have read strongly indicate that at least 50%, likely more, of San Diego county voters would have voted yes if permitted to vote.

The Chargers fan base was throughout the county, and the majority of them appear to be outside city limits. That limited vote created a misleading, false impression that the majority of San Diego metro area residents didn't want Measure C passed, or care about the Chargers staying.

To give a comparative, Met Life Stadium here in NJ is in the town of East Rutherford. If a future new stadium is to be built, and a vote taken, there is no way on earth the only people permitted to vote would be East Rutherford residents.

And here we are, almost a year later, and every media outlet in SD is denigrating the Chargers in any way possible. From hate watching, to Chargers hater clubs, to disowning anyone who decided to follow the team and keep watching.

Meanwhile, the Mayor sold his soul for MLS, which he somehow managed to screw up while also alienating SDSU and Aztecs football in the process.

Now Qualcomm is coming down, the DT stadium site is abandoned, and no one has a proposal on the table as to how either site will be developed, if they ever are.

So now here we are. No NFL, no NBA, no MLS, zero, zip, nada. And yet SD saw fit to re-elect this man.

44% of SD city residents were for the Chargers stadium proposal. Stating that a county wide vote would have brought different results is a guess, at best.

San Diego has lost two NBA teams, an NFL team, a pro soccer team, and there is no one making any noise about bringing any of them back to SD in the near or distant future. Until SD rids itself of its inept, corrupt politicians, you can bet that teams won't be tempted by the SD market to locate there.

And that, my friend, is a damn shame.

A multi-purpose stadium that could be used year round in Mission Valley would have provided so many jobs, and brought so many events to SD. What better place for a Super Bowl? State football championship games?

SD leaders lack vision, and now the residents of both the city and the county are paying the price.

The Moekid
09-20-2017, 06:37 PM
And here we are, almost a year later, and every media outlet in SD is denigrating the Chargers in any way possible. From hate watching, to Chargers hater clubs, to disowning anyone who decided to follow the team and keep watching.

Meanwhile, the Mayor sold his soul for MLS, which he somehow managed to screw up while also alienating SDSU and Aztecs football in the process.

Now Qualcomm is coming down, the DT stadium site is abandoned, and no one has a proposal on the table as to how either site will be developed, if they ever are.

So now here we are. No NFL, no NBA, no MLS, zero, zip, nada. And yet SD saw fit to re-elect this man.

44% of SD city residents were for the Chargers stadium proposal. Stating that a county wide vote would have brought different results is a guess, at best.

San Diego has lost two NBA teams, an NFL team, a pro soccer team, and there is no one making any noise about bringing any of them back to SD in the near or distant future. Until SD rids itself of its inept, corrupt politicians, you can bet that teams won't be tempted by the SD market to locate there.

And that, my friend, is a damn shame.

A multi-purpose stadium that could be used year round in Mission Valley would have provided so many jobs, and brought so many events to SD. What better place for a Super Bowl? State football championship games?

SD leaders lack vision, and now the residents of both the city and the county are paying the price.

SD has had poor sports owners and bad politicians for as long as I can remember. The Chargers were still supported very well for 56 years.

chargertom
09-20-2017, 07:07 PM
The Chargers were still supported very well for 50 years.

Fixed it for ya. Because the last 5-6 years were filled with blacked out broadcasts, and opposing fans invading the stadium.

You know all the reasons that have been trotted out the last decade. Too much to do in SD on a Sunday, transplant city whose residents bring their team allegiances with them, military town where service members bring their team allegiances with them, and the list goes on.

And that is NOT trying to take anything away from the guys who were there every Sunday cheering their hearts out. But trying to deny it is foolish.

The Moekid
09-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Fixed it for ya. Because the last 5-6 years were filled with blacked out broadcasts, and opposing fans invading the stadium.

You know all the reasons that have been trotted out the last decade. Too much to do in SD on a Sunday, transplant city whose residents bring their team allegiances with them, military town where service members bring their team allegiances with them, and the list goes on.

And that is NOT trying to take anything away from the guys who were there every Sunday cheering their hearts out. But trying to deny it is foolish.

That's not true. The last 2 years were rough but by then it was clear that the team was leaving. You see how it's going in LA?

chargertom
09-20-2017, 07:31 PM
That's not true. The last 2 years were rough but by then it was clear that the team was leaving. You see how it's going in LA?

Funny thing is, Moe. I remember a lot more than two years of games being blacked out because they weren't sell outs. People have been complaining about it on these very forums for a decade.

And yes, I see how it's going at Stub Hub, and it is completely expected. At least by me. New team, new town, new coaches. No one wanting to commit until they see the results on the field. I'm completely aware of how fickle and bandwagon LA is. And if I had to bet, I'd say Spanos was, too.

Wait and see what it's like in Kroenke's new stadium, with the Hollywood elites and Fortune 500 execs wanting to be seen schmoozing there. You'll be there, right?

The Moekid
09-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Funny thing is, Moe. I remember a lot more than two years of games being blacked out because they weren't sell outs. People have been complaining about it on these very forums for a decade.

And yes, I see how it's going at Stub Hub, and it is completely expected. At least by me. New team, new town, new coaches. No one wanting to commit until they see the results on the field. I'm completely aware of how fickle and bandwagon LA is. And if I had to bet, I'd say Spanos was, too.

Wait and see what it's like in Kroenke's new stadium, with the Hollywood elites and Fortune 500 execs wanting to be seen schmoozing there. You'll be there, right?

They sold out for years until LT left. Then they started to have some issues coupled with Norv. Funny thing is, the league adjusted the black out rules and Spanos could have avoided any black outs but he didn't always want to. That's what I complained about.

Doesn't matter now. If they can't turn this around on the field nobody's gonna show up at the new palace. Hollywood elites and Fortune 500 exec's have plenty of cool events to see and be seen at in LA. A half empty stadium with a losing team ain't gonna be one of them.

cthommes
09-20-2017, 08:21 PM
We came close to having a playoff game in San Diego blacked out.

Ct, you forgot to mention the free tacos in your list.

chargertom
09-20-2017, 08:30 PM
A half empty stadium with a losing team ain't gonna be one of them.

So does that mean you will, or won't, be there?

chargertom
09-20-2017, 08:31 PM
We came close to having a playoff game in San Diego blacked out.

Ct, you forgot to mention the free tacos in your list.

There were free tacos?

This changes everything.

The Moekid
09-20-2017, 09:12 PM
So does that mean you will, or won't, be there?

If they are depending on life long fans who moved to LA, I'm part of a pretty small group. But I will most probably be there as I have been through thick and thin

chargertom
09-20-2017, 09:40 PM
If they are depending on life long fans who moved to LA, I'm part of a pretty small group. But I will most probably be there as I have been through thick and thin

I knew we could count on you, Moe.

I can hear you chanting now! :lalala:

The Moekid
09-20-2017, 09:54 PM
I knew we could count on you, Moe.

I can hear you chanting now! :lalala:

You can count on me. Loyal to a fault

21and500
09-21-2017, 12:52 AM
I'm with CT
Being a current and native San Diegan,
I can't help but become intrigued with the idea of the Chargers coming back
However silly it may seem today
But I admit it's highly unlikely and at this point, personally unwanted
I agree with everything you said
Regardless, all will be for nothing if we don't win on the field
I'm rooting for our win-now approach
But wouldn't be against a massive rebuild around a Bosa-centered window
Until then, let's grind our way back into this season
And earn--nay, command our respect by going on a warpath towards stanland in 2020
SD to LA

northerner
09-21-2017, 02:56 AM
the reason i bring it up is that there are many news stories discussing how there has never been a team relocation where the new city did not care about getting the team (until the chargers moved to LA).

to me, this is the time for the city of SD, county, chargers to get something done.

CTom - i think that if they sell the PSL's in the new stadium, that will be a 200+ million sticking point preventing the team from moving back. how do you sell all the PSL's and then decide you are going back to SD? this is why i think SD should put something together before the PSL's are sold.

there was a 1 year delay in the opening of the new LA stadium, which gives SD more time.

just my thoughts on the topic. also, the flip side to my first sentence above is that there has never been a better setting for a city to get their team back. I see LAC on the scoring updates and i cringe.

AFBoltFan
09-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Anything is possible... I think it is a pointless discussion right now, but who knows with how this season goes.

JimWest
09-21-2017, 08:54 PM
the reason i bring it up is that there are many news stories discussing how there has never been a team relocation where the new city did not care about getting the team (until the chargers moved to LA). to me, this is the time for the city of SD, county, chargers to get something done.

i think that if they sell the PSL's in the new stadium, that will be a 200+ million sticking point preventing the team from moving back. how do you sell all the PSL's and then decide you are going back to SD? this is why i think SD should put something together before the PSL's are sold.

there was a 1 year delay in the opening of the new LA stadium, which gives SD more time. also, the flip side to my first sentence above is that there has never been a better setting for a city to get their team back. I see LAC on the scoring updates and i cringe.

I've read those articles on how unwelcome the Chargers are in LA and how disinterested the populace there is in this team. Most everyone could see this coming, starting from when SDC players were soundly booed at an LA Clippers game. Every other team relocation, in every sport, had the new city welcoming and excited about the new team in town.

Good point about SD getting something done before PSL's are sold. Frankly, if this team remains lousy, I don't foresee a bonanza of PSL's being sold to watch a train wreck of a franchise. If a new stadium was definitely approved in SD in the next couple of years, I believe the NFL would want back in, so I'd agree there is a possible window for a return, though it seems unlikely due to Spanos.

And I'm with you, seeing "LAC" on the NFL scoreboard is sickening, and it always makes me think of the Clippers as well.

SDCPB
09-21-2017, 09:43 PM
I read the article on what Don Banks said. Everyone doesn't think the Chargers existing in LA is good.

chargertom
09-21-2017, 10:12 PM
If a new stadium was definitely approved in SD in the next couple of years, I believe the NFL would want back in, so I'd agree there is a possible window for a return, though it seems unlikely due to Spanos.

Sure is easy to blame it all on Spanos, isn't it?

Has Faulconer given the residents of SD a new stadium proposal to consider since the team left?

Has Faulconer made any statements to the media, showing an interest in having the team return?

Has Faulconer done ANYTHING to indicate he is working on the team returning to SD?

The answer to all 3 is a resounding "no".

And he doesn't intend to. This is the same Faulconer who was having closed door meetings with developer buddies about bringing MLS to SD a full YEAR before the team left.

The same Faulconer that has alienated SDSU and the Aztecs football program, while trying to make SD into "Soccer City".

You guys are dreaming if you think Faulconer has any interest at all in an NFL stadium being built in SD any time in the near or distant future.

That means SD needs to come up with their own Stan Kroenke, willing to pay for, and develop an NFL ready stadium, surrounding commercial and residential spaces, and the surrounding infrastructure.

And if you find him/her, be ready for Faulconer and his band of corrupt pals to run them off.

Then he'll probably get re-elected again.

AFBoltFan
09-21-2017, 10:21 PM
There's a fake news story going around talking about the NFL "considering" sending the Chargers back to SD... Don't fall for it. :flypig:

The Moekid
09-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Meanwhile the Rams have a young head coach and young QB and has put up 107 points in 3 games and are now 2-1.

Throw Back
09-22-2017, 01:28 AM
Meanwhile the Rams have a young head coach and young QB and has put up 107 points in 3 games and are now 2-1.

The Rams are winning the fight for LA.

cthommes
09-22-2017, 01:51 AM
The Rams are winning the fight for LA.

You seen the colosseum?

AFBoltFan
09-22-2017, 05:37 AM

Some say, 49'ers and Colts. I say, a win is a win. At the end of the season our records will prob be similar. The fight goes on...

pacstud
09-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Sure is easy to blame it all on Spanos, isn't it?

Has Faulconer given the residents of SD a new stadium proposal to consider since the team left?

Has Faulconer made any statements to the media, showing an interest in having the team return?

Has Faulconer done ANYTHING to indicate he is working on the team returning to SD?

And he doesn't intend to. This is the same Faulconer who was having closed door meetings with developer buddies about bringing MLS to SD a full YEAR before the team left.

The same Faulconer that has alienated SDSU and the Aztecs football program, while trying to make SD into "Soccer City".

You guys are dreaming if you think Faulconer has any interest at all in an NFL stadium being built in SD any time in the near or distant future.

That means SD needs to come up with their own Stan Kroenke, willing to pay for, and develop an NFL ready stadium, surrounding commercial and residential spaces, and the surrounding infrastructure.

And if you find him/her, be ready for Faulconer and his band of corrupt pals to run them off.

Then he'll probably get re-elected again.Can't these statements be true in addition to the statements regarding Spanos?

New mayorships can occur. New politicians can be elected. One owner.

Doesn't matter, not gonna happen.

chargertom
09-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Can't these statements be true in addition to the statements regarding Spanos?

New mayorships can occur. New politicians can be elected. One owner.

Doesn't matter, not gonna happen.

Of course the statements about Spanos can be true.

But the original question being asked was are there any movements to bring the Chargers back to San Diego.

So the people that come here and do nothing but blame every aspect of this fiasco on Spanos have a great opportunity in front of them.

How many of those who want the team back in SD are heading up grassroots movements to get it done?

How many are calling city hall, putting pressure on the Mayor to get a proposal on the table?

How many have talked to the Mayor or members of the SD City council, telling them they want to team back in SD?

How many are talking to their district reps doing the same?

How many are out collecting signatures to get another measure on a ballot, allowing county voting on a proposal for a stadium?

How many billboards have been crowd funded, holding the Mayor and City Council's feet to the fire over the Chargers leaving?

How many ads, or radio spots, or TV ads have been bought letting the Mayor know the people want the Chargers back in SD?

It would seem to me that no one is doing a thing.

But we're bashing the team 24/7 on the radio, TV, in the press and on the internet. That's a surefire way to get someone motivated to bring the team back to SD, right?

Who wouldn't want to jump back into the arms of a city that has spent the last year proclaiming to the world how much they hate your guts?

woodeye2000
09-22-2017, 07:31 AM
:popcorn:

wit mucho mantequilla

chargertom
09-22-2017, 07:36 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/14qa6jf3Xf6ftu/giphy.gif

JimWest
09-22-2017, 10:28 AM

The Rams offense seems quite good. A running back who is looking like the real deal, and a very young QB who has looked very impressive so far.

Rams defense looked shaky in the second half last night, but stiffened at the end with the game on the line. Despite a couple of 4th quarter miscues, the team found a way to hold on and win.

pacstud
09-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Of course the statements about Spanos can be true.

But the original question being asked was are there any movements to bring the Chargers back to San Diego.

So the people that come here and do nothing but blame every aspect of this fiasco on Spanos have a great opportunity in front of them.

How many of those who want the team back in SD are heading up grassroots movements to get it done?

How many are calling city hall, putting pressure on the Mayor to get a proposal on the table?

How many have talked to the Mayor or members of the SD City council, telling them they want to team back in SD?

How many are talking to their district reps doing the same?

How many are out collecting signatures to get another measure on a ballot, allowing county voting on a proposal for a stadium?

How many billboards have been crowd funded, holding the Mayor and City Council's feet to the fire over the Chargers leaving?

How many ads, or radio spots, or TV ads have been bought letting the Mayor know the people want the Chargers back in SD?

It would seem to me that no one is doing a thing.

But we're bashing the team 24/7 on the radio, TV, in the press and on the internet. That's a surefire way to get someone motivated to bring the team back to SD, right?

Who wouldn't want to jump back into the arms of a city that has spent the last year proclaiming to the world how much they hate your guts?

Could motivate a sale (doubtful).

I don't discount your statements Tom. I empathize with those "bashing the team". I don't think everyone is bashing the team though, many are just bashing Spanos for moving the team, and that makes perfect sense to me.

It's like they're still upset the team moved.

But they aren't moving back imo, for the reasons you listed.

The Moekid
09-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Could motivate a sale (doubtful).

I don't discount your statements Tom. I empathize with those "bashing the team". I don't think everyone is bashing the team though, many are just bashing Spanos for moving the team, and that makes perfect sense to me.

It's like they're still upset the team moved.

But they aren't moving back imo, for the reasons you listed.

yep. there is a difference.

woodeye2000
09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Popcorn getting stale
In a hurry...

The Moekid
09-22-2017, 11:17 AM

yet you expect people who have nothing more than a rooting interest in a professional football team to mobilize an effort -- greater than any effort Spanos made for his own business -- to try and convince an owner that looked for a way out of town for the last 5-10 years to come back?

JimWest
09-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Sure is easy to blame it all on Spanos, isn't it? Has Faulconer given the residents of SD a new stadium proposal to consider since the team left? Has Faulconer made any statements to the media, showing an interest in having the team return? Has Faulconer done ANYTHING to indicate he is working on the team returning to SD?

I don't live in SD, or California, but have read extensively over the years about the stadium and the related politics. There are corrupt politicians in every city in the USA, they aren't unique to San Diego. There have been multiple administrations and people in the city's government to share a bit of the blame over the past 15 years. I daresay that NJ has even worse politicians, but new stadiums and arenas have been built here despite them.

However, every owner that has ever moved a team has been targeted by fans as the primary culprit. It is ultimately the owner's decision, as it was ultimately Spanos decision, to move or not.

I believe that him asking for a new stadium starting in 2002, so soon after the Q upgrade and expansion, and all the money that cost, was reprehensible. He received the ticket guarantee from the city. He refused to upgrade the scoreboard years ago, as other posters have documented. His stadium proposals throughout SD county and city were incomplete, lacking in depth, or virtually unworkable from their conceptions.

He did not show an effort to be all-in on a new stadium in SD, as he has gushed over LA, and has spent money there thus far. He is dropping $650 million merely to move to LA and be a tenant in Stan K's palace, while he would only contribute $350m in SD towards what would have been his own stadium.

Stadiums have been proven to be money losers for cities, not creating all the great economic benefit that is professed. The fact that SD voters (again, SD city only) did not want to raise over $500 million dollars via a TOT increases should not be something to blame them for. Cities have much more important and pressing needs than money loser stadiums. I won't get into all the particular financial crunches.

The NFL and team owners between them have tens of billions of net worth, earned on the backs of the fans via tickets, concessions, merchandise, and advertiser dollars aimed at the fans. It is time for the league to take responsibility and start a stadium fund. Mandate all teams contribute yearly. Mandate that every owner who wants a new stadium to be able to finance about 25-50% of the cost. The league itself, naming rights, PSL's, etc., can be all be a part of funding the stadium. The league and owner receive all the revenue, from all events, the park generates. Just like any other business, which they claim to be.

The stadium in SD was last projected to cost about $1.2b. That cost to the league and Spanos would then have been $600m. $50m less for him than the LA relo is costing. Those numbers are very achievable for the NFL and its owners.

The Moekid
09-22-2017, 12:00 PM
I don't live in SD, or California, but have read extensively over the years about the stadium and the related politics. There are corrupt politicians in every city in the USA, they aren't unique to San Diego. There have been multiple administrations and people in the city's government to share a bit of the blame over the past 15 years. I daresay that NJ has even worse politicians, but new stadiums and arenas have been built here despite them.

However, every owner that has ever moved a team has been targeted by fans as the primary culprit. It is ultimately the owner's decision, as it was ultimately Spanos decision, to move or not.

I believe that him asking for a new stadium starting in 2002, so soon after the Q upgrade and expansion, and all the money that cost, was reprehensible. He received the ticket guarantee from the city. He refused to upgrade the scoreboard years ago, as other posters have documented. His stadium proposals throughout SD county and city were incomplete, lacking in depth, or virtually unworkable from their conceptions.

He did not show an effort to be all-in on a new stadium in SD, as he has gushed over LA, and has spent money there thus far. He is dropping $650 million merely to move to LA and be a tenant in Stan K's palace, while he would only contribute $350m in SD towards what would have been his own stadium.

Stadiums have been proven to be money losers for cities, not creating all the great economic benefit that is professed. The fact that SD voters (again, SD city only) did not want to raise over $500 million dollars via a TOT increases should not be something to blame them for. Cities have much more important and pressing needs than money loser stadiums. I won't get into all the particular financial crunches.

The NFL and team owners between them have tens of billions of net worth, earned on the backs of the fans via tickets, concessions, merchandise, and advertiser dollars aimed at the fans. It is time for the league to take responsibility and start a stadium fund. Mandate all teams contribute yearly. Mandate that every owner who wants a new stadium to be able to finance about 25-50% of the cost. The league itself, naming rights, PSL's, etc., can be all be a part of funding the stadium. The league and owner receive all the revenue, from all events, the park generates. Just like any other business, which they claim to be.

The stadium in SD was last projected to cost about $1.2b. That cost to the league and Spanos would then have been $600m. $50m less for him than the LA relo is costing. Those numbers are very achievable for the NFL and its owners.

well said JimWest

21and500
09-22-2017, 12:22 PM
well said JimWest

agreed, well said.
but it's missing CT's point
which is that most people are directing way too much (all for some people) blame at Spanos because he's the obvious target and not enough at our own mayor who had a direct hand in this mess.
I too am asking SD Charger fans to hold the mayor (and company), and even the fans making up (57% who voted no) proportionally responsible.
instead, all we're seeing is tantrums without actual efforts to bring them back.
CT is making a valid argument against a popular opinion/attitude and that should be credited (even if he IS a mod).
just saying, if we're going to be angry, lets be fair and share it with everyone responsible.
sometimes when dad says he's going to "turn the car around" if the kids don't stop fighting, he does it.

who wants to celebrate a Chargers victory with me Monday evening at El Pollo Grill??
i'll be there wearing 99.

woodeye2000
09-22-2017, 12:49 PM
LOL.
CT turns the car around
Because he's lost...

woodeye2000
09-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Tuned in here today
For some Mod on Mod vitriol.

Me sad...

northerner
09-22-2017, 12:54 PM
with the Raiders apparently set for a nice move to vegas, perhaps the league will lend more of a hand to Spanos and SD (despite neither of them deserving it).

from an article on yahoo today:
Could the NFL really send the Chargers back to San Diego? It's something being discussed, according to longtime NFL reporter Don Banks.

The former Sports Illustrated reporter, who has worked for NFL Media and currently writes for The Athletic, told a San Diego radio station on Thursday the NFL never wanted to lose San Diego as a market and could force Chargers owner Dean Spanos to take the team back.

"I have been painted a picture from people I’ve talked to that the league was sympathetic … to Dean Spanos’ plight," Banks told The Mighty 1090. "Feels like he had been a ‘league guy’ feels like he had waited kind of his turn on the relocation front, thought he had the votes the year before — Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke pretty much outmaneuvered Dean and Mark Davis with the Raiders to be the first in line for LA. So it was almost as if this was a bit of a make up.

"There are people in the league — including the commissioner — they did not want to see San Diego forsaken. They would rather there be a team in San Diego. If there’s anything viable that they could find to put the league back in to San Diego, I think they will be in that camp strongly."

The Chargers failed to sell out their temporary home, the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, in their home opener last Sunday. Banks wrote at The Athletic the NFL is shocked by how quickly things have gone south for the Chargers in L.A. As the Rams struggle to draw fans to the L.A. Coliseum, Banks said the NFL does not want the bad "optics" of empty stadiums for three years before the Rams and Chargers are scheduled to move into a new Inglewood stadium in 2020.

northerner
09-22-2017, 01:00 PM
also, i live in santa clara, where they built the new 49er stadium. i didn't even pay attention to the whole thing much, but i can tell you:

1. the world did not end for santa clara.

2. i can't even tell if anything is more expensive or not (water bill, etc.). not much effect.

I think if both sides (Spanos and SD) gave in a little bit and actually worked together, there is no reason they can't find a solution.

21and500
09-22-2017, 01:02 PM
with the Raiders apparently set for a nice move to vegas, perhaps the league will lend more of a hand to Spanos and SD (despite neither of them deserving it).

from an article on yahoo today:
Could the NFL really send the Chargers back to San Diego? It's something being discussed, according to longtime NFL reporter Don Banks.

The former Sports Illustrated reporter, who has worked for NFL Media and currently writes for The Athletic, told a San Diego radio station on Thursday the NFL never wanted to lose San Diego as a market and could force Chargers owner Dean Spanos to take the team back.

"I have been painted a picture from people I’ve talked to that the league was sympathetic … to Dean Spanos’ plight," Banks told The Mighty 1090. "Feels like he had been a ‘league guy’ feels like he had waited kind of his turn on the relocation front, thought he had the votes the year before — Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke pretty much outmaneuvered Dean and Mark Davis with the Raiders to be the first in line for LA. So it was almost as if this was a bit of a make up.

"There are people in the league — including the commissioner — they did not want to see San Diego forsaken. They would rather there be a team in San Diego. If there’s anything viable that they could find to put the league back in to San Diego, I think they will be in that camp strongly."

The Chargers failed to sell out their temporary home, the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, in their home opener last Sunday. Banks wrote at The Athletic the NFL is shocked by how quickly things have gone south for the Chargers in L.A. As the Rams struggle to draw fans to the L.A. Coliseum, Banks said the NFL does not want the bad "optics" of empty stadiums for three years before the Rams and Chargers are scheduled to move into a new Inglewood stadium in 2020.

https://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=4766086&postcount=37

???

21and500
09-22-2017, 01:05 PM
also, i live in santa clara, where they built the new 49er stadium. i didn't even pay attention to the whole thing much, but i can tell you:

1. the world did not end for santa clara.

2. i can't even tell if anything is more expensive or not (water bill, etc.). not much effect.

I think if both sides (Spanos and SD) gave in a little bit and actually worked together, there is no reason they can't find a solution.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=San+Diego&state=CA&s2=2

my bill is in the mail

northerner
09-22-2017, 01:24 PM
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=San+Diego&state=CA&s2=2

my bill is in the mail

whatever man, we will see how this turns out. my glass is half full and yours is half empty.

chopper31
09-22-2017, 02:16 PM
whatever man, we will see how this turns out. my glass is half full and yours is half empty.

Oh geez

The team already left, and they took your glass with them...

21and500
09-22-2017, 03:53 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/5l8mzn24p/wish.jpg

AFBoltFan
09-23-2017, 06:46 AM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/22/colin-cowherd-and-dan-patrick-broach-subject-of-failing-la-chargers-moving-back-to-san-diego/

I liked what Cowherd had to say... The bad combo comparisons was spot on.

I AMazing I
09-23-2017, 07:21 AM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/22/colin-cowherd-and-dan-patrick-broach-subject-of-failing-la-chargers-moving-back-to-san-diego/

I liked what Cowherd had to say... The bad combo comparisons was spot on.

It's on yahoo sports too:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/nfl-reportedly-considering-moving-chargers-010040080.html

SDCPB
09-23-2017, 01:48 PM
agreed, well said.
but it's missing CT's point
which is that most people are directing way too much (all for some people) blame at Spanos because he's the obvious target and not enough at our own mayor who had a direct hand in this mess.
I too am asking SD Charger fans to hold the mayor (and company), and even the fans making up (57% who voted no) proportionally responsible.
instead, all we're seeing is tantrums without actual efforts to bring them back.
CT is making a valid argument against a popular opinion/attitude and that should be credited (even if he IS a mod).
just saying, if we're going to be angry, lets be fair and share it with everyone responsible.
sometimes when dad says he's going to "turn the car around" if the kids don't stop fighting, he does it.

who wants to celebrate a Chargers victory with me Monday evening at El Pollo Grill??
i'll be there wearing 99.

Lets not forget the city council members who made a joke offer to Dean.

boltfansince69
09-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Ahh..........NO!!

JimWest
09-24-2017, 06:27 PM

If Spanos sold the team, and a new owner were to move it back to San Diego, the fans would be very happy, and support it as they did for 56 years. It's not like SD Charger fans didn't experience bad teams before.

chargertom
09-24-2017, 06:34 PM
If Spanos sold the team, and a new owner were to move it back to San Diego, the fans would be very happy, and support it as they did for 56 years. It's not like SD Charger fans didn't experience bad teams before.

Now we just need a guy with $4-5 billion extra bucks laying around to buy the team, pay the relocation fees (again), buy the land, build his own stadium, and develop the surrounding area.

Not to mention getting Spanos to sign off on the sale, which he has repeatedly said he's not interested in.

Other than that, sounds like a plan.

JimWest
09-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Not to mention getting Spanos to sign off on the sale, which he has repeatedly said he's not interested in.

Of course he isn't. In what other business can an owner run it so poorly, year-after-year put forth a bad product, yet make a profit every year, and have the business significantly increase in value? Each year, his retained earnings grow and grow, while producing bad product.

Then he merely relocates said poorly run business to another city and virtually doubles the business value overnight. Why would anyone in their right mind want to sell a money making gold mine like that?

chargertom
09-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Of course he isn't. In what other business can an owner run it so poorly, year-after-year put forth a bad product, yet make a profit every year, and have the business significantly increase in value? Each year, his retained earnings grow and grow, while producing bad product.

Then he merely relocates said poorly run business to another city and virtually doubles the business value overnight. Why would anyone in their right mind want to sell a money making gold mine like that?

Precisely why all this "sell the team and move back to SD" talk is so bizarre.

The Moekid
09-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Precisely why all this "sell the team and move back to SD" talk is so bizarre.

It's not bizarre. It's wishful thinking. You know like when you make your prediction of the Chargers record for the season

ChargingBolts
09-25-2017, 01:33 AM
I've been hearing on the radio in L.A. this week that the NFL is worried about 2 teams in L.A. and the opposing fans invading the "home" teams stadium. Rumor is the NFL would own the new stadium in S.D. and host multiple Super Bowls there and keep the revenue and force the Chargers back.

I personally think it would be a great idea and move. I live in L.A. and would not enjoy the long drive down there again but I've been to every game so far, 50% Seahawks fans at the first preseason game, 40% Saints fans at the last preason game. 40% Dolphins fans in the home opener. 45% Chiefs fans today and once it was 24-10 90% red jerseys everywhere as the Charger fans went home early. The Raider game is going to probably be 75% - 95% Silver and Black. If the Chargers keep losing the Bills game will have 5k Bills fans and 5k Bolts fans, same with the Browns game. The announcers were ripping on the Chargers but the Rams aren't much better with fans either, against the Redskins there were around 20k of the 55k fans in maroon, if the Raiders were to play at the Rams it would be 50% - 67% Raiders fans there in my opinion.

L.A. is and always was a Raiders town. The Rams should of went back to Anaheim (and take the Clippers) and the Chargers should be in S.D. and the Raiders in either Oakland or L.A. (maybe 4 games at each). After the final game on New Years Eve when the Raiders fans will be everywhere at StubHub Spanos will finally see clearly what a mess it is and Roger Goodell will be so utterly embarrassed for the Chargers and the NFL he might just make them go back to S.D. At least in S.D. it is usually around 75% Charger fans.

I love the proximity to watch them now but I don't like feeling outnumbered at a "home" game, I don't want my team playing 16 road games, and if they only are getting 15k Charger fans in a 27k stadium how will it look when there are 15k Charger fans and 15k whomever fans in a 75k stadium more than half empty?? The problem with S.D. and L.A. is that they are destination cities to not only go see a game but also to take your family to Seaworld, Disney, Universal, Hollywood, etc. No one is taking a family vacation to Buffalo to see a game and the sights in 0* weather. You could put a team like the Bears in L.A. or S.D. and there will always be 25% opposing fans due to the fact there is a reason to go to S.D. and L.A. for a family vacation, and ... oh by the way my team is playing in this great weather city!

My question is, would the old Charger fans who gave up on the team because they moved take them back if it wasn't the teams idea to go back?

Island Chelu
09-25-2017, 02:14 AM
I don't think the Spanos family cares about the % of opposing fans in attendance. As long as the overall % of tickets sold doesn't drop too much, then it's all money in their pockets.

Unless opposing fans ticket income goes to their team, and I'm just unaware of that, I don't think Dean cares at all really. If he did he would have never moved the team. Whenever the new stadium is built the number of opposing fans is probably just going to increase, which means more money in their pockets. So I doubt Dean is even thinking about moving back, unless the NFL forces his hand.

SuperBowlBolts
09-25-2017, 02:16 AM
Man that's one huge text block. More paragraphs/breaks. But yeah, nope this ain't happening. These are senseless and careless rumors/reporting.

The NFL may even lament the move by the Chargers in public, but bottom line is they made $$$ from the relocation move. Not only that they'll continue to make $$$ simply by being in LA. Unless the stadium is empty and no one buys ad time then it ain't happening. As long as the owners get their money they'll be fine. Doesn't matter who's paying that $$$ just so long it ain't the owners themselves.

titan05
09-25-2017, 02:37 AM
As Long as the team is owned by Spanos......SD is not a option
That was discussed on sports radio in SD and the fans answer was NO

ChargingBolts
09-25-2017, 02:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idqSJAOPB5g

ChargingBolts
09-25-2017, 02:45 AM
5:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDEtR81r8Y&t=409

AFBoltFan
09-25-2017, 05:49 AM
Does San Diego really want them back at this point?

marion butts
09-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Does San Diego really want them back at this point?

minus the Spanos clan...im sure gladly.

Totally Bolted
09-25-2017, 07:21 AM
The only way the Bolts move back to SD, is when the League figures out it would actually make more money moving them back to SD and paying for a stadium themselves. So keep dreaming

SDCPB
09-25-2017, 08:27 AM
I watched the Colin Cowherd segment. He made good points.

Totally Bolted
09-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Man that's one huge text block. More paragraphs/breaks. But yeah, nope this ain't happening. These are senseless and careless rumors/reporting.

The NFL may even lament the move by the Chargers in public, but bottom line is they made $$$ from the relocation move. Not only that they'll continue to make $$$ simply by being in LA. Unless the stadium is empty and no one buys ad time then it ain't happening. As long as the owners get their money they'll be fine. Doesn't matter who's paying that $$$ just so long it ain't the owners themselves.

This..
its about the money. As long as it comes in, they don't care where it comes from.

The Moekid
09-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Update: There is a movement to build a wall to prevent the Chargers from coming back to San Diego.

Totally Bolted
09-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Update: There is a movement to build a wall to prevent the Chargers from coming back to San Diego.

The Aztecs are 4-0. Is that it?

ltinabottle
09-25-2017, 05:51 PM
lol hee hee. Mayor Faulconer is working on getting federal funds for the project.

woodeye2000
09-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Still suspicious about Kroenke's one year delay.

The Moekid
09-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Still suspicious about Kroenke's one year delay.

they only have 10-12 people working on the project on a daily basis. I'd look for longer delays.

What's your suspicion?

woodeye2000
09-26-2017, 11:54 AM
they only have 10-12 people working on the project on a daily basis. I'd look for longer delays.

What's your suspicion?

Great.
Soon
It will be
Monsoon
Season
Again.

ChargerTrader
10-01-2017, 07:16 AM
If the league sees LA as an impending disaster, then if they could get Spanos to sell, a move back to SD would be possible.

If Spanos keeps the team, I could see St. Louis as a possible relocation destination. But it would have to happen before they play any football in the new stadium.

Totally Bolted
10-01-2017, 08:43 AM
There is $650 million dollars worth of reasons the rest of the league is fine with Chargers in LA.

chargertom
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
The talk about forcing Spanos to sell, and moving the team back to SD is comical at this point.