PDA

View Full Version : Chargers-Rivers agree on six-year contract

joelbolt
08-23-2004, 07:23 PM
http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_detail.cfm?press_release_key=311

Chargeroo
08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Sounds good - get to camp Phillip - it's time to be taped to the goalpost! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gifi/expressions/brokenheart.gif

Threadkiller
08-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks, joelbolt!

There are some people who don't think that what transpired in the preseason games had any effect on the Rivers negotiations. I disagree. IMO, Drew's performance, and especially Eli Manning's (and the positive press he was getting) was instrumental in getting Philip Rivers into town, and a contract signed.

Thoughts?

Shamrock
08-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Hey TK,

Don't fall out of your chair, but I agree with you!

Does this mean we are kinfolk with all those 'Bama and Carolina people? i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Just one more "problem child" to deal with .......

The two idiots on Monday Night Football still have not mentioned the signing.

Threadkiller
08-23-2004, 08:07 PM
There was a puff piece on Eli Manning last night on Sportscenter. The whole time I was watching, I was thinking that Philip must be crawling out of his skin right now.

So if AJ saves two or three million by waiting two weeks, was it worth it? Maybe it was.

Chargeroo
08-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Maybe, but did he save any? I wonder what our salary cap situation is now that all the rookies are signed? We have a ton of dead salary space this year. Will there be enough left for signing replacement players as injuries occur?

At any rate, I'm glad to see them get PR signed. I wonder if the emergence of Lemon coupled with this signing means the end for Flutie? Will the late signing mean a couple of weeks roster exemption?

Critter
08-23-2004, 08:33 PM
We can all enjoy a beer now that this is out of the way.

Time to move on to other areas of the team.

Like, why is Osgood not starting with the first team? Same goes for Cooper. I would like to see Edwards and Cooper run on the first team together.

Any thoughts?

Chargeroo
08-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Who would you sit to let Cooper start? I like how he's playing too but he been playing because Donnie is out. If you play both of them, who sits? How about Leber - Cooper - Edwards - Foley? Maybe Phillips takes over for Foley later in the year? We haven't seen much of Godfrey this pre-season but in past years he's been a very good LB. I think Moreno and Polk may not make the team this year. LB looks like a strong position.

Re. Osgood - Even if he starts the year as the #3 or 4, I bet he ends up a starter. I think Parker/Osgood can be a good combination.

Shamrock
08-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
There was a puff piece on Eli Manning last night on Sportscenter. The whole time I was watching, I was thinking that Philip must be crawling out of his skin right now.

So if AJ saves two or three million by waiting two weeks, was it worth it? Maybe it was.
The bozo's on ABC MNF spent the whole halftime on Manning/Warner. Still no mention by them of Rivers signing.

I think you would have to see what the cap hits for Rivers will be in the out years, versus what they would have been.

Hey, Rivers signed faster than Jammer or Tomlinson. Does that mean we're getting better?

Who did they cut to make roster space?

Critter,

I agree about Cooper.

Damn, KC looks good. Even their backups ..... either that or the Lambs are going to be awful.

Shamrock
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
Who would you sit to let Cooper start?

How about Leber - Cooper - Edwards - Foley?
That sounds good!

I think Moreno and Polk may not make the team this year.

That sounds even better!

Critter
08-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Who would you sit to let Cooper start? I like how he's playing too but he been playing because Donnie is out. If you play both of them, who sits? How about Leber - Cooper - Edwards - Foley? Maybe Phillips takes over for Foley later in the year? We haven't seen much of Godfrey this pre-season but in past years he's been a very good LB. I think Moreno and Polk may not make the team this year. LB looks like a strong position.

Re. Osgood - Even if he starts the year as the #3 or 4, I bet he ends up a starter. I think Parker/Osgood can be a good combination.

Exactly.

Moreno has been starting.

Sit Moreno and start Edwards and Cooper in the middle. Leber and Foley on the outside.

IronMountain1960
08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I was getting sick of the Shela Manning looks great in camp propaganda, now the Rivers is in camp, he should at least get equal billing since he is the better QB. The great part of this whole Manning spoiled children syndrome is now I have two more favorite teams, the Chargers, and whoever is playing the Faiders, and now whoever is playing the Dolts, and Shela.

1960BoltFan
08-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree with you on Osgood and Cooper. I think our 4 best LBs will be Leber, Cooper, Edwards, Phillips. Maybe play Foley on running downs and Phillips on passing downs. He is the best pass rusher I have see in eons!

1960BoltFan
08-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by: IronMountain
I was getting sick of the Shela Manning looks great in camp propaganda, now the Rivers is in camp, he should at least get equal billing since he is the better QB. The great part of this whole Manning spoiled children syndrome is now I have two more favorite teams, the Chargers, and whoever is playing the Faiders, and now whoever is playing the Dolts, and Shela.

Exactly! I now have 4 games I will really be watching. The Chargers #1, The team playing the Raiders #2, The team playing the Giants #3 and the team playing the Colts #4.

It is great to love one team and hate 3!

Shamrock
08-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by: 1960BoltFan

Originally posted by: IronMountain

Exactly! I now have 4 games I will really be watching. The Chargers #1, The team playing the Raiders #2, The team playing the Giants #3 and the team playing the Colts #4.

It is great to love one team and hate 3!
#5 - The team playing the Ponies.
#6 - The team playing the Squaws.
#7 - The team playing the Cowturds.
#8 - The team playing the Whiners.
#9 - The team playing the Cheeseheads.

Damn, I'm gonna run out of teams, and get real confused when they all play each other ....

i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Threadkiller
08-24-2004, 06:59 AM
I think our 4 best LBs will be Leber, Cooper, Edwards, Phillips.

I must've changed 1960's opinion about Zeke Moreno with my spot-on analysis. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Boltron/dpansd.jpg

Boltron
08-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Our linebackers are looking great, Polk and Moreno are certainly expendable now.
Rivers finally got a clue and signed, Go http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Boltron/chargers01.gif

1960BoltFan
08-24-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm not to sure our best 4 linebackers are suited to be in the game all at the same time in certain situations. Foley and Moreno are better against the run probably (but not positively), against the run than some of the others. At the minimum, they are great depth. Foley will probably start and Phillips will come in on passing situations. That's my take on it. We'll see how it goes later.

1960BoltFan
08-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller

I think our 4 best LBs will be Leber, Cooper, Edwards, Phillips.

I must've changed 1960's opinion about Zeke Moreno with my spot-on analysis. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Boltron/dpansd.jpg

I'm not to sure our best 4 linebackers are suited to be in the game all at the same time in certain situations. Foley and Moreno are better against the run probably (but not positively), against the run than some of the others. At the minimum, they are great depth. Foley will probably start and Phillips will come in on passing situations. That's my take on it. We'll see how it goes later.

lchingon
11-29-2005, 10:03 PM
It was a good investment.

GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!

breesy_babe
11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
will drew not return to the team or something? cause i may not support the san diego chargers without brees. but i really hope that rivers help them make it to the superbowl this year if they don't make it now.

SuperMatt
11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Why do people insist on resurfacing two year old threads! You have to remember that some of us (namely myself) are easily confused!

:D

chargers4real
11-29-2005, 11:08 PM
yea! no doubt....had me going there for a second. calm down breesy.....this is from August 2004.

sushibug01
11-29-2005, 11:09 PM
i was panicing for a sec myself. i think he purposely bumped this old thread!

Podium
11-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah bumping this thread would've been a good April Fool's joke. I knew it was a real thread cause I saw that Joel started it, had to open it to see that it was from back in the day.

TJ21
11-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Freaked me out folks. Then I though, why would they extend River's contract to 12 years? lol.

JoeMcRugby
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
No further confusion.

Thread closed. :rolleyes: