PDA

View Full Version : Gotta do the right thing

goSDgo
09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
I just have to rant on for a while about this whole QB situation. Ok, I know that Rivers just signed some $40+ million dollar contract, but that does not mean go and throw him to the wolves. There shouldn't even be a controversy. Brees showed that he's work his tail off in the off season, he has shown that he has bettered his game, then the team starts this QB controversy up and Brees has 1 bad quarter. Unless you walk around with blinders, you should know that this will probably be Drew's last year with the team. Rivers is the future QB, sit him down this year, like the Bengals did Palmer, let him learn the game, let Brees have peace of mind for the season and stop this QB controversy crap. The right thing would be for the Chargers to let Brees try to prove to the rest of the NFL that he's a good QB, and let him raise his dollar value. It actually might be a good move for future trade agrements.

kiwibolt
09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
couldn't agree more....I've been saying the same thing on this message board for the past week and a half!!!

FriarTom
09-04-2004, 10:20 PM
This question is probably waaaaay premature and I'm sure the answer will be, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," but what do you do if Brees leads the Bolts on a miraculous turnaround and the playoffs, and proves to be the kind of QB we might prefer to keep?

goSDgo
09-05-2004, 04:43 AM
Hell of a question. I personally like Drew Brees. I think that maybe he was put in to early, and the stress of trying to turn a seed into a garden was his down fall. But with the Chargers dropping $40m + on Rivers I think the answer is clear cut. No matter what this year brings, Rivers is the future. If you look at Trent Dilfer, he won a super bowl with the Ravens and then was sent packing that off season. I just hope Drew gets the start, has a great year, and triples his dollar value.

MoveitMister
09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I hope Brees starts. i/expressions/SDG_Drew_Brees.gif
Let Philip sit and learn a bit. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

thismustbejon
09-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I still dont understand why start brees and show him off he does good and thats it WE DONT GET NOTHING for it just a good feeling that we helped make him a good qb for another team. we cant trade him after he becomes a freeagent. I mean look at the other QB we could of had that was "thrown to the wolves" in Peton Manning. He took his lumps and look what he has become. We need to cut are ties with Brees now get what we can for him and start developing Rivers with flutie helping and lemon as are number 3. Again no knock on Drew i think hes great i liked him at purdue but his time in san diego is over, yes they might of not gave him a fair shot. But what this charger organization saw in him is no longer what they are looking forward to in its future.

KingKevo
09-06-2004, 02:38 PM
We need to start Brees because the last two QBs weve thrown to the wolves have been Ryan Leaf and Drew Brees. How did those two turn out. I wont even talk about Leaf, it still makes me mad and Brees has struggled, we need to let Rivers sit a little while and try to learn the system while at least seeing what Brees can do.

thismustbejon
09-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by: KingKevo
We need to start Brees because the last two QBs weve thrown to the wolves have been Ryan Leaf and Drew Brees. How did those two turn out. I wont even talk about Leaf, it still makes me mad and Brees has struggled, we need to let Rivers sit a little while and try to learn the system while at least seeing what Brees can do.

I dont think we threw brees to the wolves and it wasnt being thorwn to the wolves that made leaf a bust it was (what was it again) oh ya a million dollor arm and his TEN CENT HEAD

Electron
09-06-2004, 03:49 PM
I really think the real question is, when would you rather win? Now or later?

I really don't think (my opinion) that Rivers would be so traumatized that putting him in now would ruin him. But putting him in now would certainly decrease our chances of winning now. He looked lost at times during the Niner game. But playing him now gets him that much closer to being the legitimate starter of this team. But playing him now means that we are basically not putting our best QB in that gives us our be chance to win the game.

Brees on the other hand is definately the best QB we have at this very moment. But how much time do we give to a QB that has the new QB of the future waiting in the wings biting at the bit? Drew gives us the best chance to win game 1 of the season.

My thought is let Drew play but give Rivers every opportunity possible to play. When it is time, Rivers will legitimately beat Drew out of the starting QB position. But handing the reins over to a player that, although is coined as the starter of the future, is obviously not the best QB playing at the moment will be IMO a mistake.

thismustbejon
09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Once again Brees does give us the best CHANCE to win but its not like he will make us win any more then 6 games so what are we playing him for no matter who we put out there we are going to have a hard time pulling out wins, As of now I believe Rivers needs to start, yes he looked lost at times in the 49ners game but he looked good if you look at how much time hes been in practice, you can say brees worked hard in the offseason but Rivers took the time to review the playbook and keep in touch with teammates while he was holding out.

As I said before I have nothing aganist Brees its just his times up and if we do start him you have to belive that Marty and the charger orginaztion is looking for anything negative from Brees early proformance to jump at the opportunirty to pull brees and put in Rivers.

Electron
09-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I agree a 100% that Rivers looks good for how much practice time he has put in. I think he will be a good QB some day, maybe even a great QB. But this is how I look at it. Do I want to win now or in the future? I want both because I'm a selfish son of a gun. Playing Brees until Philip beats him out, which I feel will be in about 6 to 8 games, give me the selfish son of a gun to have both. Philip play 8 to 10 regular season games and is primed for the 2005 season.

Rip
09-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by: goSDgo
If you look at Trent Dilfer, he won a super bowl with the Ravens and then was sent packing that off season.

No, the defense won trent a super bowl, he just went along for the ride.

GoldPlatedNails
09-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I give Brees 3 games to produce a win. @Texans Home-Jets @Broncos. That is not murder's row, he must produce. I think he will. Now if the defense can step up and actually play like a top 20 D ....cough Jammer/Florence/Davis...cough that would help a great deal.

goSDgo
09-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Why will Drew only win 6 games? Does he expire after that? He will win as many games as the team stays heathly for. As long as there is someone to throw to, and someone to block for him, he will put up as many wins as would Rivers. Please don't think that I'm anti-Rivers, I'm excited as hell that we have a QB that can see over the lineman, and has a strong arm. I just think he should sit for a bit and pick up those lost days from training camp.
Also, the ravens D is the reason for their ring that year, but the center didn't snap the ball to R. Lewis or Boulware. Dilfer deserves some credit as well.

Riversrat
09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm a new Chargers fan that came along with Rivers being drafted. I won't pretend to know what Brees was like last year - I don't. I live in NC - the Chargers weren't even on my radar. I have not put down Brees in any way because I can't do so, I only know what I have read here. What I do know is the Rivers will surprise many people with his ability. He is smart, much smarter than his 22 years. He keeps a cool head. I watched him all 4 years at State, he has never had a whole bad game. He may make a bad pass or have a bad series but he keeps it together. Do I think he should start now, no. Will he be ready in a few weeks, yes. He is amazing. Watching him on the field is magical. I know that sounds hokey, but it's true. And I'm a girl so I can be hokey.

For those of you that actually saw the Senior Bowl, that was not a fluke - that is Rivers!

goSDgo
09-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I thought hokies were from Virgina i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Riversrat
09-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by: goSDgo
I thought hokies were from Virgina i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Good one! You got me!