PDA

View Full Version : Keep the veteran

talbitz54
09-04-2004, 10:39 AM
The Chargers have to keep Flutie so they can finally show that the Bobby Bethard/bad PR/bad personel moves are behind them. Ryan Leaf failed for a number of reasons. What he didn't have to help him through the transformation from draft pick to pro was a proven veteran, winner. Someone to keep an eye on him as a teammate competing for the same position, and a mentor to help him learn.

Start Drew, it's his team to lead. If he makes the most of it we are off and running, if not, if he turns the ball over and is not accurate, then you sit him for a spell. Rivers will be thrown into the mix to sink or swim, but Flutie will be there to discuss things with. If Rivers isn't ready, and he's not, no rookie is, look throuhgout the league. Then of course the Chargers have a problem, two guys that aren't producing, but that's why you keep the veteran. He's capable of maintaing the team and being serviceable until someone emerges from the wreckage.

Talues
09-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Why not start the season with Flutie, and then a few games in, work Rivers into the rotation. Eventually, Rivers takes over.

Because, honestly, how much has Brees done for the team? He's had a few seasons now and has a whole lot of nothing except lose. Flutie can get them off to a good start (he could go 4-1 or 3-2 in the first 5 games) and Rivers, after practicing a few weeks and being worked into the rotation a bit, can take over completly mid-season.

If Rivers lives up to the hype, they can make the playoffs.... finally.

chargerfanjim619
09-04-2004, 04:06 PM
All of this is just sad to hear. The QB is only as good as the other offensive personel around him. What makes Ladanian Tomlinson so great is how he has preformed with NO FREAKING OFFENSIVE LINE! When everbody in the league thinks Vaugh Parker is your best O-linemen...the other guys really have to be bad. Jason Ball was good, and that's it. He even missed 6 ballgames last year. When you couple that with the crap recievers that have blown through here (Some still here), there hasnt been one money WR here since Tony Martin...that's 9 years of no recievers and save it if you say well...Curtis Conway or Jeff Graham. Remember, Flutie had those guys in '01 with Tomlinson and a better (not mush though but at least less injury prone O-line and we went 8-8 after starting out 6-1. Fluties old, Shaottenheimers senile if he can't see that Brees is at least the starter for this year. He runs the offense better. Game 3 of the pre-season you saw a grizzled veteran of not 20 something years of pr ball vs. Seattles undrafted rookie FA's, low Draft picks and old vets trying to make the special teams units. You want to bench the #5 QB in the NFL's preseason, the guy with a 105.3 QB rating. QB's aren't what they should be until year 4, and Peyton Manning will tell you that himself. So will John Elway. Give Brees the chance with an above average supporting cast like this one, what he did in the pre-season was without LT.

shocku
09-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I agree with chargerfanjim.

Shamrock
09-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Cut Flutie.

talbitz54
09-04-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm only saying keep Flutie from a mentors stand point. Its Drew's team, he had a solid preseason. Rivers wont be ready...and theres a lot, a lot to digest. I agree with your time table on being ready in the league.

Our real problem, and I mean us as fans. We love football, we love competition, and we appreciate great athletes like 55, 37, and 21. Our franchise is a revolving door for everyone players, gm's, coaches, we just aren't that good. We need stability, I think a lot of blame has to go to the owner.

kiwibolt
09-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Sit Rivers for the year (watch Palmer in Cinci and you'll know why they should). I would surgically attach Rivers to Flutie's hip on the sideline so he can learn while Brees plays. I might be in the minority, but I still believe that Brees can be a winner. he has had no pass protection the past 2 years and we haven't had a receiver who could catch anything but a cold. Give him any kind of protection and someone to catch the dang ball and he will keep you in games.

edfrsd
11-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by: LVChargerDawg
Im a charger fan from vegas, i used to go to michael's pub with my cousin every week but i cant anymore because they arent allowed to let in minors anymore

If any of you guys go there often, i am the dude that one the really expensive charger leather jacket last year in the raffle. i think it was the last game of the season against the raiders.

Are you the the same guy that drives the sportbike? If so, I was just thinking about getting that jaket.. I also have a Honda sportbike and was looking for a new leather jacket. I was wondering if you or anybody knows where I can get a jacket like that?

If your not the guy, I was wondering if anyone knows the guy that drives the sportbike to Michaels pub and wears that awesome Chargers leather jacket? or where he got it from?

I was there for the Bolts vs Panthers game, you guys make me want to go to Vegas for every out of town game.

GO BOLTS!

Phulezcompany
Hi, from Reno myself but I'm currently stationed in San Diego. I grew up in the Fouts era and have been a fan my whole life.

Thunderstruck
Hiya LV. I don't live in Vegas...just saying welcome to the forum. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LVChargerDawg
Im a charger fan from vegas, i used to go to michael's pub with my cousin every week but i cant anymore because they arent allowed to let in minors anymore i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

If any of you guys go there often, i am the dude that one the really expensive charger leather jacket last year in the raffle. i think it was the last game of the season against the raiders.