PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

GOBOLTS4Life
09-04-2004, 04:56 PM
I have to admit I am the only Chargers fan from the state of NY, so anytime there is Charger's news on I have to watch it and try and get my fill.. I think so far by looking at Brees's stats he is gonna have a great year.. Tell me if I am crazy for what I am about to say, but coud we get maybe a number 1 draft pick for him when his contract runs out. Think about it before you jump all over me. I mean think of all the teams now that are in Dire need of a quarterback now, or maybe even next year.. You have Miami, possibly, maybe the raiders?? (God forbid!!), Kerry Kollins cant go forever, and he is injury prone like gannon, and there may be a freak accident to anyother quarterback this year that may have a team chomping at the bit for Brees's services.. Could the Bolts end up with possibly 3 first round draft picks? Is Brees worth a 1st rd draft pick. Am I crazy? Let me know...

shocku
09-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't know if someone will give up a number one?? maybe?? but remember, we don't have a whole season to let him play or he'll be worth nothing to us.His contract is up at the end of the season!you can't trade what you don't own.He'll be a free agent, we can only hope by I think the fifth week for a good trade before the deadline.

chargerfanjim619
09-04-2004, 05:12 PM
At the end of the year, his contracr expires and he can go wherew he wants. If a move we're made it would have to be early in the season. Can't see us trading him and I doubt anyone would part with a #1.

kiwibolt
09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I say let Brees play... I think he can be a winner. I know Rivers is supposed to be a "sure thing," but so was Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Klingler and every other 1st round QB ever selected. Remember the movie, The Bad News Bears?? "Let Him Play, Let Him Play......"

kiwibolt
09-04-2004, 09:33 PM
GOBOLTS4Life,
Think it's hard getting Bolt news in NY? Try New Zealand...at least you've got ESPN there!

GOBOLTS4Life
09-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Man, and I thought I had it bad.. I will stop complaining.. LOL..

oscar97
09-05-2004, 02:57 PM
the only thing i can see this coming about, is he has a monster year and goes to the superbowl with a 14-2 season. Then he signs an offer sheet and we have the right of matching it as a restricted free agent or the chargers designate him as franchise player. then he might be worth a first rounder.. I would not be surprised if the Chargers resign him the first part of this season to a one year contract extension....

BoltAttack55
09-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Teams will not give up #1s for QBs unless they are established stars that have many years ahead of them. Drew Henson probably has more upside than Drew Brees and Houston was only able to get a #3 for him. The Chargers could probably get a 3rd or 4th for Brees, though.

mocoloco
09-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Drew will play for four or five games to establish his worth which should be something more than it was at the end of last year. By then Rivers will be ready to go so Drew will get traded for a player, possibly an offensive lineman or a receiver. Don't think the bolts will go for another draft choice in a trade which would mean another hold-out. Drew Brees was born to play football as evidenced by the football shaped moll on his face so let him play! He'll be an above average player when he arrives but it won't be in San Diego, Rivers is the future.

WHITELIGHTNING
09-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I dont know what the Bolts are going to do with Brees, I have seen in print where AJ has said " we have not offered Brees a contract renewal " so tell me what does that mean. I think it means as soon as a team ponies up more than a snickers bar, pepsi and a bag of patato chips ( flavor to be named later) Brees will only be a memory.

Gr8team
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Teams will not give up #1s for QBs unless they are established stars that have many years ahead of them. Drew Henson probably has more upside than Drew Brees and Houston was only able to get a #3 for him. The Chargers could probably get a 3rd or 4th for Brees, though.

Can someone please explain to me how Drew Henson is an established star! Brees was taken in the second round...Henson wasn't...Brees should easily get at least a second round pick in return (unless he totally bites it this year).

chargersrule
09-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by: Gr8team

Can someone please explain to me how Drew Henson is an established star! Brees was taken in the second round...Henson wasn't...Brees should easily get at least a second round pick in return (unless he totally bites it this year).

BIGRICK
09-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Well here is my take on this. I was never really impressed with Brees. In fact I was more bummed then anything. Because I did and still do have alot of faith in Flutie. Brees has never impressed me and I dont care if he leaves next week. But as long as he is our starting QB, I will be a fan that backs him up. I think that Rivers can learn alot more from Flutie. Rivers will be our next star QB if they let him sit it out long enough to learn. As good as he is he is not ready for the big boys yet. Look at the big "I dont want to play for the Chargers sissy boy" he allready is showing its time to sit and learn.
BY the way I live in California and cant get Chargers news here. Just just the niners and raideretes
THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geekster
09-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Drew Brees was the 1st pick of the 2nd round when drafted by the Chargers - so he is certainly WORTH a first round pick after 3 full years of development. The problem gets started when his contract expires - then draft picks are not part of the equation what-so-ever... It will become a dollar game.

It is pheasible that the Chargers could make a trade between now and mid-October for a draft choice - but I don't see it happening. I also don't see him sticking around next year for Doug's contract because I don't believe he will trust the organization to give him an equal opportunty and honest competition against PR. That kind of trust/respect is hard to get with todays players *and* management. He will expect them to hand the ball to PR regardless of the competition under the "POTENTIAL THANG"... Drew will play his absolute best football in this (contract) year - then the chips will fall where they may after the season.

Man I wish we could keep him, PR and Cleo - have all three fight it out in training camp and let the best man win - but I just don't see it happening as much as I would LOVE to see it.

SuperMatt
09-19-2004, 03:00 AM
The only way I see another 1st round pick in this is if we trade Brees for a 2nd, then swap two 2nds for a 1st. I'm not sure I like that idea, I'd rather have two 1sts and two 2nds.

Still gonne be sad to see Brees go :-(

reddog
09-20-2004, 07:43 AM
YOU AREN'T THE ONLY CHARGERS FAN FROM NY!
Start Flutie and it's "hello playoffs"

coryhartford
09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Glad to see some multi-geographical Chargermaniacs. I think I am the only one in Illinois. I live on the border of Illionois and Wisconsin, so I don't get much between the CheeseHeads and the bears fans calling for the return of Da Coch. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Thank God for Directv and Sunday ticket.Go Chargers!

HellsBells
09-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Drew Brees is my favorite player and I am hoping that he gets an extension, and Rivers flops...oh well, I can hope...

mef31
09-24-2004, 12:46 PM
im a chargers fan from New York too! New York City's #1 Chargers fan!!!!

TrumpetDude
09-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Guys....there is NO WAY we get a first round pick for a second round player. Brees would have to be a ProBowler and have mad stats. We will be lucky to get a third round pick. Brees will be traded by the Oct. 19th deadline and noway do we keep 4 Q.B.'s on the roster the whole year. That is unheard of in the NFL. The writing is on the wall. Brees is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year which means Brees WALKS scott free and the Bolts get nothing. A.J. will not let that happen and will trade Brees by the deadline shortly after or before the Chargers Falcons game (Week 6). You guys know the Q.B.'s are already dropping like flies with injuries and someone is going to come knocking on the door of the Chargers with 4 Q.B.'s. Brees gets traded for a pick and hopefully an impact player on the D-Line or the O-Line. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

optout
09-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Yah I tend to agree with most on here. No way will we see a 1st round pick thrown up for Brees. Brees is unproven, has a weak arm, can't move in the pocket, physically he can't take the hits, can't see over the O-line, I'd better stop cuz I'll be here all day.

Gosh maybe a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder at best. Maybe cash. But it would have to be before the deadline. Plus something I never thought about that scares me is package deals. I'd like to see Rivers in development, but at the same time let Brees finish the year out like he did the last three just so i can say to the Brees believers "I told you so".

TrumpetDude
09-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by: optout
Yah I tend to agree with most on here. No way will we see a 1st round pick thrown up for Brees. Brees is unproven, has a weak arm, can't move in the pocket, physically he can't take the hits, can't see over the O-line, I'd better stop cuz I'll be here all day.

Gosh maybe a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder at best. Maybe cash. But it would have to be before the deadline. Plus something I never thought about that scares me is package deals. I'd like to see Rivers in development, but at the same time let Brees finish the year out like he did the last three just so i can say to the Brees believers "I told you so".

A third round pick is the best we can hope for and an impact player, if A.J. stirs the caldron hard enough and uses his mojo. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif