PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker makes the cut!

bluehair
09-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Its great to see that Wes made the cut today. i was just posting to see what you guys all thought. i think its great that an undersized guy with heart can make a team as a walk on and excell. i hope that he does as well in the regular season if he gets played.

joelbolt
09-05-2004, 02:23 PM
He has to be jazzed!

Shamrock
09-05-2004, 02:27 PM
He made plays, and on a team that had few play makers last year, he's something that we need.

Congrats to Wes and his Texas Techies !!!!

BoltHead
09-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Hell yeah Wes Has game ... I watched this guy give it his all at training camp In Carson
@ first I was like Oh my god this guy is shorter the QB = DF & WR = TD

But what he lacks in size
he makes up In HEART & SPEED = heís like Rudy = LOL

Big Up's Wes .........

HillMan
09-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Wes has nothing to prove to himself. All he needed was to have the opportunity to show it in the NFL. He ran back punts and made spectacluar plays throughout his TTech days. The Chargers will do well to use him not only for returns but also come in when the yards or desperatly needed, in the air or on the ground.
I am a TTech grad and seen him come up with the big play time and time again. He can do it in the NFL hands down.
Good Luck Wes, this Tech alum will be rooting for you except of course when you play the Cowboys.

coachrw
09-05-2004, 03:20 PM
I am so proud of Wes. I've known him since high school and this is his dream come true. I wish him the best of luck. He has overcome all of the "experts" and shown them hard work pays off.

chargerfanjim619
09-05-2004, 04:03 PM
He's a good football player and that's what this team needs. I'd like to see what he does at WR. Aside from Eric Parker and Kassim Osgood I'm still really unsure about the wideouts. I'd love to be proved wrong here...but I think we can all agree we've seen things in the past from both Caldwell and Dwight that just scare, anger and annoy us. I can't imagine that the coaching staff isn't aware of this. Wonder what some other teams may ditch at WR...we need some depth here.

GOBOLTS4Life
09-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Being in NY we dont get to see much Chargers Highlights, but reading about him on the chargers website I think this guy is something special. Way to got Wes... GO BOLTS!!!

kiwibolt
09-05-2004, 04:30 PM
The bolts need more guys like Welker...guys who simply make plays. Imagine if the Chiefs had thought that Dante Hall was too small? Mel Grey was a midget, but he is one of the best punt returners the NFL has ever seen, Mike Singletary was an undersized, not too fast LB. Shoot, Lionel James was called "little Train" for a reason!!
I wish more decisions would be made based on results...I am tired of player decisions coming down to potential. I know Ricochet Cladwell had a good preseason, but to be honest with you I'll take Mattos, Floyd and probably 20 other recievers the Bolts have cut the past 10 years over him. If you're a WR, there is no doubt that speed kills, but only if you are running with a ball that you have CAUGHT!!!

Boltman29
09-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I was pulling for him- but one preseason does not make a star. We need him to return a couple punts back for 6 when it really counts. Still, If I were Tim Dwight I'd be stayin late after practice working on my pass routes cuz he ain't doin no kick returnin this year!

chargerfanjim619
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Dwight....the 7.5 MILL dollar drop machine. Be nice if some other GM out there coveted this guy as bad a JB did. I'd take a 5th pick for him the way AJ seems capable of drafting.

RTLBolt
09-05-2004, 05:26 PM
He definately earned it. His return for a td was a thing of beauty.

Congrats to Wes!

bluehair
09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
so our other returner is on injury for 6 weeks and that is why the spot was open for Welker. I sure hope he produces in those 6 weeks to stay on board.

ChargersfaninKansas
09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I didn't get to watch any preseason Charger games here in Wichita, but I've heard a lot of great things. I hope he does as well during the season!

-John

joelbolt
09-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Coach did say that wide receiver Wes Welker will be the teamís primary punt and kickoff returner.

IronMountain1960
09-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by: kiwibolt
The bolts need more guys like Welker...guys who simply make plays. Imagine if the Chiefs had thought that Dante Hall was too small? Mel Grey was a midget, but he is one of the best punt returners the NFL has ever seen, Mike Singletary was an undersized, not too fast LB. Shoot, Lionel James was called "little Train" for a reason!!

I wish more decisions would be made based on results...I am tired of player decisions coming down to potential. I know Ricochet Cladwell had a good preseason, but to be honest with you I'll take Mattos, Floyd and probably 20 other recievers the Bolts have cut the past 10 years over him. If you're a WR, there is no doubt that speed kills, but only if you are running with a ball that you have CAUGHT!!!
Well said, Giilliam and Mattoes caught every pass thrown their way, got open and made the big catch, but Lofton or Marty apparently don't think catching the ball is important, its how fast you run before you drop the pass.
I am glad at least Welker made the team, he has amazing ability to cut past tacklers, and is tough as nails, two important qualities when you run back kickoffs and punts.

foty89
09-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by: Boltman29
I was pulling for him- but one preseason does not make a star. We need him to return a couple punts back for 6 when it really counts. Still, If I were Tim Dwight I'd be stayin late after practice working on my pass routes cuz he ain't doin no kick returnin this year!

I agree, I hope that he can do well in the regular season. I'd also like to see how he can do at receiver. He has all the heart in the world and sometimes that can overcome physical limitations. He does seem to have the skills.

He is the kind of guy that you just love to root for, because in him we can all see our own NFL dreams played out.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

KingKevo
09-05-2004, 10:13 PM
he reminds me a whole lot of Tim Dwight. I didnt see too much of him at WR and I would like to see the Chargers not try to force him into that role. He fits well as a PR/KR and I really dont see him getting much time at WR.

mocoloco
09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree, he does look a lot like Dwight. Hopefully isn't as fragile though. Looks like a good two season guy.

Shamrock
09-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by: joelbolt
Coach did say that wide receiver Wes Welker will be the teamís primary punt and kickoff returner.

Good!

It still makes me wonder why Leon Johnson was retained on the PUP list. The Bolts have plenty of other options at KR/PR if Welker goes down (Chatman, Parker, Dwight, Florence).

Hoss
09-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by: Shamrock

Originally posted by: joelbolt

Good!

It still makes me wonder why Leon Johnson was retained on the PUP list. The Bolts have plenty of other options at KR/PR if Welker goes down (Chatman, Parker, Dwight, Florence).

Johnson is very very good.

BoltzaQtion
09-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Wes Welker has great concentration and great hands. He also seems to find the soft spot in the defenses which makes him an attractive target for the QB's as a WR.

Wes earned his position on the team. I am looking forward to some big returns from Wes this year.

SoCal4
09-06-2004, 09:33 AM
He runs like Andre Coleman used to return kickoffs. Lets hope he has the same results!!

MoveitMister
09-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Wes just has to remember there's no shame in calling for a fair catch now and then.
Be a bit more cagey. It seemed like the 49ers defense was making sure they were on him asap.

TrumpetDude
09-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Congrats to Wes Welker. The bro hammered down and represented. I was homering hard for this kid. Props TTU Red Raider - Now you are a San Diego Charger i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gifi/expressions/SDG_Football.gif

RAYRAY37
09-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I AM GLAD TO SEE WELKER MAKE THE TEAM. HE IS AN EXCITING PLAYER TO WATCH. HOPEFULLY HE BRINGS BACK 5 TD'S

BlueandGold
09-07-2004, 02:28 AM
With any kind of decent downfield blocking, Wes has the moves to take it all the way. On every single one of his punt returns this preseason, he has been just 1 block away from breaking for long gains or touchdowns. As his field awareness and consciousness of NFL speed increases, so will his threat factor.

That 81-yarder was the best punt return TD I think I've ever seen.

CoronaDoug
09-07-2004, 03:59 AM
Tim Dwight say's that he will call Wes Welker, "Mini Me".http://a.abcnews.com/media/Entertainment/images/ho_austin_powers_020724_nh.jpg

Shamrock
09-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by: Hoss
Johnson is very very good.
Please tell me you don't mean Leon Johnson????

Triknique
09-07-2004, 10:15 AM
With the field position battle the martyball needs to be successful. let's hope that Wes is able to consistently gain positive yards. Although hopefully he will learn to throw that arm up and call the fair catch when needed. I like the excitement factor plus the threat of always bringing one back that he brings. Something that was sorely lacking with L. Johnson.

Lights_Out
01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Damn, why did we cut him?

JoeMcRugby
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Damn, why did we cut him?
They tried to put him on the practice squad to make room for Clinton Hart - a safety at a position that they desperately needed help.

They were paying Tim Dwight $2 million to be the returner.

Welker signed with the Dolphins practice squad instead of the Chargers.

Locking up this old thread. There have been a couple of dozen threads created on this subject over the past two years asking the same question. The answer remains the same as it was in 2004.