PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards: Final year with bolts?

Bolt21
09-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this topic has been brought up before but...
I'm thinking that because of the teams trend towards cutting high priced veterans, our abundance of youth at LB and the emergence of Stephen Cooper this will probably be Donnie's last year with us. It will be sad but understandable, imho.

SanLuisFan
09-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I think that Donnie still has too much in the tank for the Chargers to cut him. He's the new captain of the defense. I don't see the bolts cutting him next year.

geekster
09-07-2004, 05:06 PM
I don't know where this kind of stuff comes from but I heartily disagree with the originator of this thread.

anger management
09-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by: geekster
I don't know where this kind of stuff comes from but I heartily disagree with the originator of this thread.
Make that 2.

Donnie will be on this team next season, although I wouldn't be suprised at all if they drafted another LB early.

xnet
09-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: angermanagement

Originally posted by: geekster

Make that 2.

Donnie will be on this team next season, although I wouldn't be suprised at all if they drafted another LB early.

I think Edwards is going to be the key to our linebacking corps and unfortunately he hasn't had a lot of game time in the 3-4. Saying that... I think he will be the defensive leader out there and hope he steps it up a notch.

Threadkiller
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
The Bolts wouldn’t get rid of a defensive leader, one year removed from a Pro Bowl, and only 31 years old.

Would they?

thismustbejon
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I would have to believe that he wants to end his career as a chargers since this is his hometown and the chargers dont want another hometown LB to go and take another big PR hit.

rrogers
09-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Donnie Edwards is too important to this team to let go. I know he no comparison to Junior but the same reasoning holds true. Junior was losing a step but the experience and level of play they brought to the team can not me overlooked. The chargers made a serious mistake getting rid of Junior and I feel the same way with Donnie. The new LB core is good but new, Donnie will be a great leader for them to learn.

SDRaiderH8er
09-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I work with his Mom. He was glad to get back into San Diego, I think he stays

thismustbejon
09-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by: SDRaiderH8er
I work with his Mom. He was glad to get back into San Diego, I think he stays

oh ya.....my moms friend does his moms hair

michael
09-07-2004, 07:08 PM
You worked his mom????? somehow thats just wrong when youre a charger fan....

SDRaiderH8er
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by: michael
You worked his mom????? somehow thats just wrong when youre a charger fan....What I said was that his Mom, and Myself both work at North Island for the Naval Aviation Depot

mguilmey2
09-08-2004, 01:09 AM
donnie edwards is from san diego and loves the chargers and i dont see him leaving anytime soon

shogun
09-08-2004, 01:46 AM
wow...i cant think of a single reason to cut edwards. he's the #1 guy on the D right now. just because he's 31 we're not going to cut him. he's the #1 tackler, leader, etc. others who were released were arguably past their prime, edwards is currently in his. crazy..

AlwaysNextYear
09-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Donnie will surely stay. I think the chargers organization has been trying to rid their team of unmotivated, under achieving, bad attitude type players more than trying to drop the axe on just high salary players. Donnie fits the mold perfectly for what type of player that they want on their team. As long as he has gas in the tank and doesn't get outplayed by younger cheaper players, then I feel Donnie will be wearing the blue and gold.

DDFBOLTS
09-08-2004, 04:11 AM
I don't think that donnie will be getting cut any time soon.

Threadkiller
09-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
The Bolts wouldn’t get rid of a defensive leader, one year removed from a Pro Bowl, and only 31 years old.

Would they?

Okay, I'll bite.

Was I being a smartass, since the above post described Rodney Harrison?

SDRaiderH8er
09-08-2004, 07:24 AM

Would they?

Okay, I'll bite.

Was I being a smartass, since the above post described Rodney Harrison?Hey TK how are you, guess we have to learn how to play with everyone else in the Playground huh?

Threadkiller
09-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey SDRaiderH8er.

Getting along with everyone is overrated. I’m hoping that the ignore function starts working soon.

SDRaiderH8er
09-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey SDRaiderH8er.

Getting along with everyone is overrated. I’m hoping that the ignore function starts working soon.It would be sweet to have a "smack" section, but right now we all have to nice. and try and get along.

SoFLPatsFan
09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I don't know much about donnie edwards, other than he's good, but I do hope Cooper gets a starting spot with Chargers. I know this may sound kind of stupid but I went to school with Stephen, so I'm kind of hoping he makes it somewhere in the NFL (have to root for the locals).

shocku
09-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow! after reading some of these posts I dont know if I like donnie anymore....lol is it true he still makes his mom work!????????....lol

p.s. Threadkiller,I disagree.Getting along with everyone in here is NOT overrated.True we all may have different opinions but were all on the same team in here and even if there's a disagreance on an issue we should all respect that opinion. C'mon fellas were all charger fans in here not raider fans.

shocku
09-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh! Threadkiller, not saying you did either.Just wanted to clear that up, I was just going by the overrated part.

theTruthofCourse
09-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by: shocku
Wow! after reading some of these posts I dont know if I like donnie anymore....lol is it true he still makes his mom work!????????....lol

Maybe she ENJOYS work and wants to be active. Sheesh.

TToC

shocku
09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I was J.K. .....LOL Donnie is the man

Threadkiller
09-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by: shocku
Oh! Threadkiller, not saying you did either.Just wanted to clear that up, I was just going by the overrated part.

That's cool, shocku. Feel free to disagree with me as you see fit.

I can be a dick at times, but I'll hopefully try not to cause a lot of trouble around here.

Electron
09-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by: AlwaysNextYear
Donnie will surely stay. I think the chargers organization has been trying to rid their team of unmotivated, under achieving, bad attitude type players more than trying to drop the axe on just high salary players. Donnie fits the mold perfectly for what type of player that they want on their team. As long as he has gas in the tank and doesn't get outplayed by younger cheaper players, then I feel Donnie will be wearing the blue and gold.

I think this says it all. Donnie is way too productive for the Chargers to even think about getting rid of him. The people that were dismissed were not deserving of the of the contracts they owned. It wasn't because they had high contracts that led them to be launched, it was because they were either horrible, had a bad attitude or were out played by a up and coming players. Donnie on the otherhand had 162 tackles last year. Sixty-seven more tackles then Moreno (95 tackles) who was the second highest in tackles last year. He also had 2 interceptions and was tied second in this category. This man still has some tread left. Don't count him out too soon.

NorCalBoltBrain
09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
The chargers wanted more youth, and junior was taking up way too much cap room for his decreased performance the last few years. The bolts obviously don't have a problem with age, considering they sign flutie to 3 years. But, they don't want to pay achy-boned veterans an L.T. priced salary. Flutie took a pay cut, and he was fine with that. That's what they like to see. In my opinion athletes make too much money as it is. I think pro athletes should get excellent lifetiime health insurance, to compensate for abuse/crippling injuries, etc., but all that cash is really not necessary. Nothing against L.T., though.

shocku
09-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by: NorCalBoltBrain
The chargers wanted more youth, and junior was taking up way too much cap room for his decreased performance the last few years. The bolts obviously don't have a problem with age, considering they sign flutie to 3 years. But, they don't want to pay achy-boned veterans an L.T. priced salary. Flutie took a pay cut, and he was fine with that. That's what they like to see. In my opinion athletes make too much money as it is. I think pro athletes should get excellent lifetiime health insurance, to compensate for abuse/crippling injuries, etc., but all that cash is really not necessary. Nothing against L.T., though.

I realy do understand what your trying to say about being over paid but the Bottom line is the owners are pulling down a grip load every year! if the players all take pay cuts the owners will still be makeing all that money at the end of the year and if not the players then who? Many people think if players take cuts then ticket prices go down,FALSE! the owners and the league all know that no matter how much we complian the public is still willing to pay those prices! and as long as that happens doesn't matter what the players get, the owners still pull down the same amount.You want players to get more money?want prices to go down includeing consession stand prices? Until everyone in this country boycotts going to games and refuses to pay for tickets there will never be a change.It would force owners and players to change the pay structure for the sport.Obviously the owners couldn't pay the players what they don't make anymore and if there is a boycott the players would be forced to get real jobs and then realize that
they would play for ten times less for playing a kids game and still get paid ten times more than that reagular job behind a desk or saleing cars somewhere.

yodafro
09-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm keeping Donnie around. He a great guy. Let the games begin!!!

NorCalBoltBrain
09-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Hmmn, yeah, didn't think about how much money gets pumped into the industry by [i]us, the fans</a>. So of course the performers deserve a fair cut of that bank. They're the ones who are putting their necks on the line (literally). All I was thinking about is all the low paying jobs out there that are just as time consuming, dangerous and abusive on the body. And not even nearly as enjoyable as the game of football. Seems unbalanced, but that's a problem with society as a whole, not the athletes.

KingKevo
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Donnie wont leave here. The front office isnt stupid enough to cut him.