PDA

View Full Version : Good Article On Brees Being Traded

SDBolt21
09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Here's a great article about why the bolts have 4 quarterbacks on the roster. It is pretty wild to hear the front office finally talking about officially wanting to trade brees (straight from a.j.'s mouth) before the Oct. 19 trade deadline. There's also some funny stuff about how the team doesn't want to risk "another team stealing cleo lemon". N E ways, check it out for yourselves.

Link: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/09/08/news/columnists/steve_scholfield/22_48_229_7_04.txt

Chargeroo
09-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Good read. That's pretty much what we've been thinking ever since they drafted Philip Rivers. It's also the only reasonable explanation for keeping four QB's.

dgjock
09-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Good explanation why we carry 4QBs. I hope it's true before the trade deadline

Threadkiller
09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
I look for Rivers to be under center sooner than everyone thinks. Drew will be gone during the season, and I can't imagine the FO turning to Flutie for an extended period.

Regarding Lemon: He's just a scrub. They can pick up somebody just as good off the scrap heap next year. I don't know what people see in the guy.

mcc2mobile
09-08-2004, 11:06 AM
In fairness to Lemon, He has not been placed in the field yet during the regular season. But with two years of system knowledge under his belt, he may be the reliable second once Flutie retires.

He must be doing well enough at the practices to keep the coaching staff happy.

For sure he is no Seth Burford

Chargeroo
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
I look for Rivers to be under center sooner than everyone thinks. Drew will be gone during the season, and I can't imagine the FO turning to Flutie for an extended period.

Regarding Lemon: He's just a scrub. They can pick up somebody just as good off the scrap heap next year. I don't know what people see in the guy.
They see a strong arm and good foot speed. I think the biggest thing with him though is the look ahead to next season. He knows the system and they know Drew and Doug will be gone next year. He'll be a built in backup, better than bringing in a former first round failure for a lot more money. (Couch or Akili Smith). I agree on Rivers being under Center sooner than latter, I said weeks ago that he'd be starting by week six and I still think the same thing.

Get us two wins and a nice trade Drew, G'bye! i/expressions/beer.gif

SDRaiderH8er
09-08-2004, 11:23 AM
He makes some very good points, but they are just opinions, and we all have opinions. I will believe it when I see it.

NYBolts
09-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Not so fast, If Drew wins and keeps winning he stays. Who do you think will want Drew in the middle of the year when he could be had for free after the season is over. It has taken four years for him to figure out Cam's system I don't think he could step in somwhere else and run the show this year.

Threadkiller
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Roo,

I'd rather have an experienced QB packing up Rivers in '05, especially since our QB coach bites the big one. Somebody like a Trent Dilfer, or an equivalent.

That's why I don't care if Lemon goes or not.

WVBOLTFAN
09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I can tell you right now that if Brees led us to a 6-0 that he would be with the entire season.Not lilkely to happen,but if he did he would stay.

boltzfan61
09-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Question for Chargeroo?
Does Brees have any leverage at all in regards to a trade? Where he goes? Starter? He is the starter here, but he won't start for another team mid-year. He would be traded soley as a back-up. What would his options be?

daygoCHARGERS54
09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Brees should not be traded. He was the best QB in preseason and that's why he is here to start. If he plays well this season, we will have another QB battle next year for the top spot.

Boltman29
09-08-2004, 02:14 PM
HEY...Isn't the main thing that we start WINNING?! If it's Brees who finally starts leading us to VICTORIES then I say resign him this season and let's look at a future with Brees and Rivers for the next six years. Doesn't that sound better than a Rivers-Lemon combo?

mcc2mobile
09-08-2004, 05:38 PM
ANY winning combo sounds good to me!

PINOYBOLTS
09-08-2004, 05:55 PM
AMEN TO THAT. RIVERS/BREES combo next year looks a lot better than RIVERS/LEMON, though is Brees is traded and we get good value, like a WIDEOUT!!!! then everything will be fine. FLUTIE FLAKES won't be around forever to bail out the starter. Not to start anything but The Colts do need a quality Backup, who do you think they would rather sign BUM Couch or Brees. Brandon stokely and a late draft pick should be good. As for Dallas, I think they have somebody by the name of Antonio Bryant that we can use.

BOLT UP!!!

geekster
09-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I would hate to see Drew go - better to have him around for a long time, compete for the starting job but follow Doug's example if the decision goes against you.... If he does go, I personally thing Dallas would be a great match for him - he is a Texan and Bill Parcells believes in his QB taking a few "smart" risks in the course of a game. Marty is ultra-conservative by nature and doesn't like QB "risk takers" unless they make a completion in the process. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

shocku
09-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by: NYBolts
Not so fast, If Drew wins and keeps winning he stays. Who do you think will want Drew in the middle of the year when he could be had for free after the season is over. It has taken four years for him to figure out Cam's system I don't think he could step in somwhere else and run the show this year.

Thats why they would trade him.Because if a team that wants Breez has something the chargers want it's easier to barter that way instead of waiting for someone to become a free agent and getting into price wars with a lot more teams competing for him at the end of the season.

chargerfanjim619
09-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Anythything can happen. How can you trade your starter if you have a winning record before the deadline? What kind of message does that send to the team? The Dodgers quote was right on they did move some top notch players...but they got some in return. I can see trading for a player if we end up struggling at a position. But, if we are winning at the deadline, and all we get is a #2 pick and a scrubb I'd be pretty upset. If Brees does well, and a team needs him and we can hold that team over a barrell...sure you look at it. But..for AJ to go out in public and say that is kinda weird.

leodabolt
09-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Brees sees himself as a starter. He would not resign with the Bolts with PR on the roster. Off him when the price is right and get our 2nd round pick back. I like the guy too but its will soon be over...no matter what we think or how Brees does. We are building a real team for next season and beyond...but we will be better this year than last.

Chargeroo
09-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
Roo,
I'd rather have an experienced QB packing up Rivers in '05, especially since our QB coach bites the big one. Somebody like a Trent Dilfer, or an equivalent.

That's why I don't care if Lemon goes or not.

I can't argue with that idea but we should keep Lemon until we have someone like Dilfer. Other teams are interested in people like that too. I think it's smart to play it safe for now. Once they sign a good backup like that, then it's okay to do something with Lemon. Meantime, what if one of the players needs some Lemonade?
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

foober
09-08-2004, 09:02 PM
I would guess it will all depend on what some other team would give up for either drew or doug. I'd imagine either could and would be traded if the trade is a good one for the chargers.

SDRaiderH8er
09-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by: foober
I would guess it will all depend on what some other team would give up for either drew or doug. I'd imagine either could and would be traded if the trade is a good one for the chargers.
Hey Foober glad ya made it over here

foober
09-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi, sdradierh8er, this forum really has taken off. I guess this will be the place to be during games. It seems faster than the ut forum.

goSDgo
09-08-2004, 11:31 PM
I concur, why Cleo Lemon.
A nice wad of money in Drews pocket next year and I think he would play back up. He did last year. I think Drew is one of those guys thats just happy being a pro athlete, no matter if hes starting or not.

But in reality, Drew is worth more on the trading block than Cleo is (no brainer) so yup, he'll be gone. That will be a sad day.