PDA

View Full Version : The one prediction for the bolts everyone should read

psuedo
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
The chargers recievers are absolutely abysmal.

This and only this will keep them from the playoffs

We have a solid running game obviously with the best in the business, Ladainian Tomlinson and our D will be on Par with anyone in the league considering the hiring of Wade Phillips as well as a speedy and talanted linebacking corps not too mention an incredibly talented D backfield-

When it comes to the chargers everyone points at the quaterback which in former years was irrefutable, however, given the offensive line situation last year Brees was not as bad as people make it seem. Heck we were starting rookies and walk ons to try and defend the pass rush against the likes of the modern day elite athletes in the NFL....Brees will be much improved this year but he may get traded before the chargers can reap the benifits. Lets hope we package him up in a deal for a reciever. I mean Reche Caldwell? Kassim Osgood? Tim Dwight? Is this the best we can field? As for the rest of the team the way I see it is like this:

The kicking game will be solid, Kaeding will be a special player in the NFL.

Last but not least, Marty Shottenheimer. If nothing else you know we will be prepared, he has had the misfortune of inheriting some of the worst teams to coach the last few years including what he had to work with in Washington. Aj made a smart decision in keeping him last year. Marty will get the best out of what he has and that is exactly what we need...Overachievers.

So, the bolts will be a solid team this year and 8 n 8 is what I predict, its the utter absense of a deep playmaking superstar receiver that will stop us from making the playoffs.

phillipb2
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
That receiver may come from the high pick in 2005 draft we'll get from the Giant's poor (I hope) season.

Johndbr
09-08-2004, 03:41 PM
I disagree, everyone is a no name player, before they make a name for themselves. I think that is the situation we have now. This year will give some of our no named players a chance to make that name for them selfs. Of course it all depends on the O-line, but if they step up to the plate and do the job I think they can, I think you will see a big difference in our passing game this year.

John B.

Hoss
09-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Once again, off the top of your head.. Can you name any of the last Superbowl receivers ?

geekster
09-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by: Johndbr
I disagree, everyone is a no name player, before they make a name for themselves. I think that is the situation we have now. This year will give some of our no named players a chance to make that name for them selfs. Of course it all depends on the O-line, but if they step up to the plate and do the job I think they can, I think you will a big difference in our passing game this year.

John B.

Good comment John B - and one I heartily agree with.

Yes - undoubtedly we will be looking for some WR and OL help in next year's draft, but I'm not ready to bemoan our current core of receivers quite yet. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Kassim Osgood and Micah Ross will have the chance to show us something too in the coming weeks and again, it could all turn into something very special.

I'll save any groans and moans until after I've seen game six this year. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

xnet
09-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by: Hoss
Once again, off the top of your head.. Can you name any of the last Superbowl receivers ?

Butros Butros Gali?

Cher?

oh wait...

David "fricking" Boston???

Chargerbolt
09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't forget about TE Antonio Gates.If we can move the chains without stupid mistakes we will be ok

Boltman29
09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with psuedo on this one. I believe the Chargers will go 9-7 and earn the final wild-card spot THIS year. I like Osgood and Welker for returns, but no one else can stay healthy. I personally hope we don't trade Drew, especially if we start kicking some tail early. Resign him now and go into the future with TWO solid QBs. After all, in today's NFL you really do need two starting-caliber QBs to be playoff contenders. Think about it.

Brigrat
09-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by: psuedo
The chargers recievers are absolutely abysmal.

This and only this will keep them from the playoffs

We have a solid running game obviously with the best in the business, Ladainian Tomlinson and our D will be on Par with anyone in the league considering the hiring of Wade Phillips as well as a speedy and talanted linebacking corps not too mention an incredibly talented D backfield-

When it comes to the chargers everyone points at the quaterback which in former years was irrefutable, however, given the offensive line situation last year Brees was not as bad as people make it seem. Heck we were starting rookies and walk ons to try and defend the pass rush against the likes of the modern day elite athletes in the NFL....Brees will be much improved this year but he may get traded before the chargers can reap the benifits. Lets hope we package him up in a deal for a reciever. I mean Reche Caldwell? Kassim Osgood? Tim Dwight? Is this the best we can field? As for the rest of the team the way I see it is like this:

The kicking game will be solid, Kaeding will be a special player in the NFL.

Last but not least, Marty Shottenheimer. If nothing else you know we will be prepared, he has had the misfortune of inheriting some of the worst teams to coach the last few years including what he had to work with in Washington. Aj made a smart decision in keeping him last year. Marty will get the best out of what he has and that is exactly what we need...Overachievers.

So, the bolts will be a solid team this year and 8 n 8 is what I predict, its the utter absense of a deep playmaking superstar receiver that will stop us from making the playoffs.

I gotta tell ya, after watching all of the bolts Preseason games on the tube, and one in person, the weak link is not our receivers, it is our Secondary. Our Defensive back field was the most abysmal display of football like substance I have ever seen. The receivers looked good, TE's played great (including the rookie receiver convert Krause from the University of Nebraska Omaha), the Run D is incredible (maybe even top notch), but our secondary just plain sucked. I think 8-8 isn't out of the question, but our secondary has to make plays on 3rd and long in order for us to succeed this year.

Texans
09-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Delusional: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness. See San Diego Chargers fans.

goSDgo
09-08-2004, 04:34 PM
I have to agree with you brigrat, the secondary is the problem. I think we may have put to much faith into sammy and jammer. They both show more signs of weakness than strength. I know I will get reemed for this comment. Davis seems to get hurt and burned a lot, and Jammer can't stop commiting penalties. With the new stiffer rules on intereference our secondary is going to get owned.
There, I said it.

geekster
09-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by: Texans
Delusional: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness. See San Diego Chargers fans.

OK, we shall see if the Texicans can pop my little bubble on Sunday. <huge grin> After all the talk about stats I noted you failed to respond to the "reality check" provided by another Chargers fan comparing the ratings between the two teams for 2003? <evil little grin>

I'll sure be looking for your comments on Monday!

WVBOLTFAN
09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by: geekster

OK, we shall see if the Texicans can pop my little bubble on Sunday. <huge grin> After all the talk about stats I noted you failed to respond to the "reality check" provided by another Chargers fan comparing the ratings between the two teams for 2003? <evil little grin>

I'll sure be looking for your comments on Monday!You can't respond to reality if you are not in touch with it! LOL

WVBOLTFAN
09-08-2004, 08:13 PM
I think our WR's will surprise alot of people this year,IF they can stay healthy!!

dgjock
09-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by: WVBOLTFAN
I think our WR's will surprise alot of people this year,IF they can stay healthy!!

I second that. I think our WRs are much better than a lot of people think. They have big hearts and a big heart is the most dangerous weapon for a football player. I think the Parker, Gates and Osgood will shine this year (if they can stay healthy, here's to hoping i/expressions/beer.gif )

phillipb2
09-08-2004, 08:54 PM
If we don't have a balanced passing attack to go with LT he'll run around between the 20's and get bogged down when in the red zone.

geekster
09-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by: phillipb2
If we don't have a balanced passing attack to go with LT he'll run around between the 20's and get bogged down when in the red zone.

Hmmmm.... He had 13 TDs last year behind a decimated Offensive Line - 37 so far in his young career - I think LT knows how to find the end zone...

michael
09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
i agree that its truly our secondary thats the biggest sore spot....almost no contest. and i couldnt agree more with the assesment of jammer and davis. davis was almost a total bust last year and jammer almost cause he decided to wake up at seasons end.

more importantly i believe that the penalties did us in more than ive seen anyone talk about. to me, the penalties on a regular basis are just unexcusable and its for that that my harshish critisism of Shotty comes about. he flat out shouldnt put up with it. imean, lose the game but you worked a solid game-FINE. but to turn the ball over and have a bunch of penalties? your pay should be taken away. how can the game even be played when youre out there runnin around committing penalties? its moronic. a few penalties are gonna happen to everyone but they should not become a factor in a team losing the game.

Johndbr
09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I gotta tell ya, after watching all of the bolts Preseason games on the tube, and one in person, the weak link is not our receivers, it is our Secondary. Our Defensive back field was the most abysmal display of football like substance I have ever seen.

Brigrat, I got to watch a lot of pre-season games this year and actually the Chargers Secondary seemed better than most. I think you are trying to compare last years production with what you saw in the pre-season and yes; based on that comparison, it was abysmal, but you are not taking into account the over all picture. This year the NFL has put into effect new emphases {sp?} on the 5 yard rule and it is throwing all the defenses out there for a loop.

I do not think you saw us take a step back but a omen of what is going to happen league wide to all defenses. The Recievers are going to have free rain after 5 yards this year and it is going to be a biotch to cover, no matter what team you are on or against.

John B.

chargerfanjim619
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
26-3 last time we met Texans fan. I bet we break 30 this time with Carr chuckin away for 4 picks.

Chargeroo
09-08-2004, 09:29 PM
I have very little faith in our secondary. The Niners picked it apart with two pretty new QB's and a bunch of rookie WR's. That game and the first half of the Seahawks game have made me skeptical. I did notice that the Chargers were playing it straight up against the Niners, just sending the front three and one LB on most every play so that's a little different than what the Texans can expect now that the season is here. I hope they surprise me.

geekster
09-08-2004, 09:42 PM
"Chargeroo" about all I can say is to recommend you have a look at the current depth chart - then go back and look at who played where in that last pre-season game. You will find that several of them are gone - - -

Sammy Davis' broken finger and the last minute switch-around didn't help either - and admittedly, Draton Florence had the worst game of his young career - but sheesh! You make it sound like the Charger's lost? Was I dreaming or was the final score a 31-15 butt whipping with scores by offense/defense/special teams?

What we did get was enough work in a vanilla defence to permit the Coaching Staff to make final decisions on this year's line-up and later on to get some quality folks back in the form of our practise squad....

Riversrat
09-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Steve Smith

goldenbolt
09-09-2004, 03:46 AM

Ha! Like a Texans fan should tell us about being delusional....

Texans
09-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by: goldenbolt

I'm not the one prediction 10-6 records with wildcard for my team, that would be a lot of Charger fans, who despite having a very suspect OL, WR and secondary, seem to think they are better than solid teams like the Broncos, Titans or Jets. I see predictions of 250+ yards for LT. It's great to be optimistic for your team at the beginning of a season, but come on, a lot of "predictions" on this forum are delusional. If someone wants to step up and talk about this game in an adult, objective way, then lets talk. So far, all I see is blind homerism.

michael
09-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Roo is right...our secondary looks like itll get torn up AGAIN this year....

gothambolt
09-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Let's get real. The receiver situation -- which is a SERIOUS problem -- is only one of several at this point. The kicking situation (two rookies) aint too pretty either. And although our linebackers are skilled, they are still unproven as a unit and looked EXTREMELY porous on pass defence. Pass rush is mediocre at best, but we'll see if the 3 4 can improve things.

Look. We as fans -- and i've been a NYC based charger fan since 1979 -- have to be hopeful, supportive, but realistic about what we have. Stating that our D is on par with anyone is absurd. And claiming that our receiver situation is just fine is nuts. We've got a long way to go, but pieces are starting to fall into place and next year's draft should prove the push that gets back into a competitive way.

Respectfully

Mark
NYC

snajones
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
"So far, all I see is blind homerism."

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Heh, What do you expect on the discussion board from the Chargers homepage? LOL

But seriously now - I am glad we get an opener against a team that is not a super bowl favorite - I would rather open the season against Houston - then against the Pats or the Panthers.

All that said - I think this will be a good game! I look forward to a close score with our defense winning the game for us in the end - which would be a huge improvement over the defense we had last year - that defense gave away a bunch of games in the final two minutes...

I predict a lot of penalties - and the team that does better on special teams should win it. Will Steve Foley step it up versus his old team? This game is kind of unique in today's NFL as both teams will be using the 3-4. Perhaps we can pick up a tip or two from the Texans who have been using their 3-4 longer then we have.

rule12b
09-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Against the Niners, the coaches were using vanilla schemes and neither of our starting cb's. I heard they put Dray Flo in situations to take him out of his normal game just to see how he would respond and/or perform. Penalties count for a reason. Each of those plays that burned us and wwas called back was called back because of penalties that easily cost us sacks or incomplete passes. A pass rush that forces obvious and frequent penalties (like 3 in a row) is just about as good as one that get's the sack.

As for Houston's comment, at least in our division, anyone who has paid any attention at all to the off-season and preseason would be hard pressed not to call the Broncos the most overrated team in the NFL right now. All of their strengths from previous years are now suspect. Receiver, tight end, linebacking, running back, all suspect.

Raiders? Well, other than having a lot of skilled albeit declining veterans, I don't see chemistry on the field, hmmmm, sounds like us last year.

Chief? Welll, they are pretty damn good, but let's see how their defense performs under Gunther.

A little well-considered optimism based on observation and data is hardly delusional. A houston fan however doesn't have the benefit of these circumstances as thier division is filled with teams that will handily kick their butt.

Boltdiehard
09-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't want to spend a first round pick on a WR. We need to get a playmaker via free agency next year although I have no idea who will be on the market. Boston was a mistake but that doesn't mean we quit trying. I'm of the opinion that we don't have time to wait for a rookie to develop at that skill position. If we had a legit threat out there it would make a guy like Eric Parker that much better, maybe even a Chrebet type of reciever. As it stands now, our wideouts will be facing single coverage all year and we'll see just how thin we are at this position. I love Eric Parker, he's one of my favorite players on this team but we need more than him on the outside.

BDH

Pointblank
09-09-2004, 10:13 AM
The only thing we are worried about down in Houston is Tomlinson. I feel sorry for the guy. He deserves better than the Chargers. With a OL like the Chargers have this guy is in for a long year. I can't believe such a beautiful city has such a ugly team.

WyoBolt
09-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by: Pointblank
The only thing we are worried about down in Houston is Tomlinson. I feel sorry for the guy. He deserves better than the Chargers. With a OL like the Chargers have this guy is in for a long year. I can't believe such a beautiful city has such a ugly team.

LOL!

http://i.timeinc.net/time/europe/magazine/2003/0421/sahhaf.jpg

"The US troops are not in Baghdad"

"The Texans are a good team"

Pointblank
09-09-2004, 12:16 PM
haha...Good one WyoBolt! Very clever. And i dont think they are a great team...just better than the Chargers

geekster
09-09-2004, 12:21 PM
haha...Good one WyoBolt! Very clever. And i dont think they are a great team...just better than the Chargers

OK - smack aside - what do you base that upon?

Pointblank
09-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Our offense has more balance......our running game is on the up and up (No LT but pretty goood!!!) Our recivers are coming into their own (Andre Johnson, Cory Bradford) Our OL is improved...its still in the middle of the pack as lines go put after our 1st year line woos...ill take it) And our defense is improved and healthy. We were busted up last year, walker, payne, aaron glen all missed games. I realize every team goes through that but we were steam rolled by injuries on defense last year. This being the 1st game everyone is fresh and ready to go. BUT this is the 1st game of the season. And you never know who is going to meet expectations. Every year you have people who do as well as expected and those who you end up scratching your head about. Thats the NFL. In my opinon the 1st couple weeks are a crapshoot. Who knows. Maybe the pats will win only 4 games and the Chargers will win 12. Anythings possible

Pointblank
09-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Im a troll? Ok....im a troll!

bluehair
09-09-2004, 02:20 PM
i dont undertand why everyone is so high on kaeding. he cant do a kick off past the 20 yard line. that is not good for a team that relies on special teams to help our defense.

geekster
09-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Our offense has more balance......our running game is on the up and up (No LT but pretty goood!!!) Our recivers are coming into their own (Andre Johnson, Cory Bradford) Our OL is improved...its still in the middle of the pack as lines go put after our 1st year line woos...ill take it) And our defense is improved and healthy. We were busted up last year, walker, payne, aaron glen all missed games. I realize every team goes through that but we were steam rolled by injuries on defense last year. This being the 1st game everyone is fresh and ready to go. BUT this is the 1st game of the season. And you never know who is going to meet expectations. Every year you have people who do as well as expected and those who you end up scratching your head about. Thats the NFL. In my opinon the 1st couple weeks are a crapshoot. Who knows. Maybe the pats will win only 4 games and the Chargers will win 12. Anythings possible

Finally you said something about your team rather than berating ours.... Believe it or not - it actually made sense too - particularly toward the end.

As you said - this is the 1st game of the season and you never know. I have high hopes, (and I think good reason to believe), that the Chargers are fielding a far better team than last year particularly on the defensive side of the ball and on "teams". Hopefully both of us are well entertained this weekend and we don't see players suffering severe injury again. Regardless - the rookies on the field are in for an educational experience from the more seasoned pros. I expect our two rooks on the OL to result in at least one sack - and your rook cornerback to get burned for at least one TD - thats how it seems to always work out.

Best post you've made so far. Good luck in week two! (You already know you won't get that from any of us for week 1! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif )

-=dave=-

Rip
09-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by: goldenbolt

Nice Av man!