PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

Riversrat
09-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Obviously I'm not the only one that became an instant Chargers fan the day they drafted Rivers. I am really curious how many others followed Rivers?

AthensPHILIPRfan
09-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by: Riversrat
Obviously I'm not the only one that became an instant Chargers fan the day they drafted Rivers. I am really curious how many others followed Rivers?

Raising hand proudly...actually count 4 for me...cause our whole family flows with the Rivers!
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Riversrat
09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I have been reading your posts - there great! Loved the sharpie story! Obviously you must have gone to State or at least lived in Raleigh for a while - when did you leave?

If you ever need a Wolfpack update...let me know.

I'll be VP to your Prez of the fan club.

Another River's Girl!

thismustbejon
09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
How about you go tell Rivers were I live and I can run routes and he can pass to me while he waits to start. And i wouldnt mind having a picture with rivers and myself to use as my icon because i take it people done like the one i have right now.

AthensPHILIPRfan
09-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I have been reading your posts - there great! Loved the sharpie story! Obviously you must have gone to State or at least lived in Raleigh for a while - when did you leave?

Another River's Girl!

Another River's Girl!

SWEET! Glad ya like my posts though I just kinda write from the heart, have fun, and God knows I ramble on and on! The Sharpie day was a GOOD day! LOL i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I've lived in Athens, Alabama all my life. God willing, I always will. If I had to pick a home away from home, it would be Raleigh, NC. We absolutely love it there!!

We made our first trip to Raleigh for Philip's Senior Spring Game. I attended Coach Amato's Women of the Wolfpack Football Clinic for the first time last year too. I bought season tickets and away tickets and we ended up making all but 3 games of his regular Senior season and to top it off, we gave ourselves an amazing Christmas present....packed up the girls, drove to Orlando, spent 3 days at Disney and had the honor of watching Philip's final game as a Wolfpacker in the Tangerine Bowl. In other words, we had the best time of our life as a family traveling as Wolfpackers last year. It really was a gift to ourselves and Philip has no clue how much closer he brought our family together.

Both the girls want to go to college at NC State. Dangit...I gotta getta major paying job!! Out of state tuition for 2 of them and they are only 2 grades apart...YIKES!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif We'd love for both of them to attend NC State if things work out that way. Time will tell. We also have homeboy James Newby playing up there and he's a joy to watch too! We're VERY proud of James and feel like this is going to be his break out year. Hopefully we will get to make at least one State game this season. (We're building our dream house right now so it's tough traveling!) So please any Wolfpack news, pass em my way!!! We love the Pack! I got so danged excited when Chance Moyer (WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!) made that 2 pt. conversion last Saturday I was screaming like a wild woman. ***picture hubby and 2 teen girls rollin their eyes at me*** Chance is an absolute sweetheart too. Dang if I don't just luv that we got Bama boys playin for State!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

As soon as Philip grants me the honor of being his fan club Prez...I'll nominate you for VP! Seriously, I need that job. I would sooooooo totally rock at that job! LOL Heck I'd do it for free....forget the pay...I'd do it strictly for the luv of the game and well...the support of the homeboy!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Teresa

Riversrat
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Oh my God, you are a riot! And the word is scholarship! If you bought season tickets this year and need someone to fill in for a game or 2 I'll buy 'em from you. Did you watch Philip play in high school?

Did have tickets to the Richmond game but I do have Ohio State tickets...can't wait. I also have Fl State tickets and am going to the Panthers/Chargers game in Charlotte.

We love the Bama Boys up here too! You sure know how to raise football players!

rule12b
09-09-2004, 04:53 PM
I looked up as much tape on him as I could. His physical skills, arm strength, size, command of his offense, accuracy, and speed of release are simply put, outstanding. I felt he was the strongest of this years' draft when all was taken into account (i.e. values, personality, inteeligence, and work ethic), but of course no one would openly say he should be a #1 pick.

Make no mistake, I love Brees; I think he will be a great QB. Rivers however will go to the Hall of Fame if his skills translate as well as I think they will. Only a few other guys I've watched thread the needle and can stretch the field with his authority.

Riversrat
09-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by: rule12b
I looked up as much tape on him as I could. His physical skills, arm strength, size, command of his offense, accuracy, and speed of release are simply put, outstanding. I felt he was the strongest of this years' draft when all was taken into account (i.e. values, personality, inteeligence, and work ethic), but of course no one would openly say he should be a #1 pick.

Make no mistake, I love Brees; I think he will be a great QB. Rivers however will go to the Hall of Fame if his skills translate as well as I think they will. Only a few other guys I've watched thread the needle and can stretch the field with his authority.

Thank you for taking the time to actually look that up. I fought tooth and nail on the heisman boards for him last year. People just don't get it until they see him in action! I am so excited about how the draft turned out for him. He really has a magical quality about him. I just can't wait to read these message boards next year! I have nothing against Brees, I just don't know anything about him. I don't want him to fail but I want to see Philip play because I'm so anxious to hear other people's reactions!

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I watched Rivers play every single one of his 51 college starts. And I will tell you all the story of my first game, against ASU, in the middle of a huge storm. I watched the first quarter on the hill at NC State(Not there anymore but it was awesome) I talked to me dad after that quarter and man was I upset, this freshmen QB did not look like the next Roman Gabriel(NC States 2nd greatest QB ever) he looked worse then Jamie Barnette(The QB before Rivers) I went back to my seat and was looking at a looong season. After the game was over(went into OT) My dad asked me what I thought, I told him, this kid is going to be better then Roman Gaberil and will be a Top 5 pick in the NFL(Boy did I guess that) It was a great 51 games, and I actually cried after both the Maryland(His last home game where his jersey was retired) and the Kansas game(His last college game) as I would never see him in a NC State uniform again. Now I cant wait for him in San Diego. I am actually looking at getting a job in SD.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-10-2004, 04:49 PM
I forgot to tell you what I said to my dad. I said after the first quarter that I would rather have the ASU QB. The funny thing is that the ASU qb was none other the Cleo Lemon, but after the game I was alot happier with Rivers

Riversrat
09-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by: Rivers2Tomlinson
I watched Rivers play every single one of his 51 college starts. And I will tell you all the story of my first game, against ASU, in the middle of a huge storm. I watched the first quarter on the hill at NC State(Not there anymore but it was awesome) I talked to me dad after that quarter and man was I upset, this freshmen QB did not look like the next Roman Gabriel(NC States 2nd greatest QB ever) he looked worse then Jamie Barnette(The QB before Rivers) I went back to my seat and was looking at a looong season. After the game was over(went into OT) My dad asked me what I thought, I told him, this kid is going to be better then Roman Gaberil and will be a Top 5 pick in the NFL(Boy did I guess that) It was a great 51 games, and I actually cried after both the Maryland(His last home game where his jersey was retired) and the Kansas game(His last college game) as I would never see him in a NC State uniform again. Now I cant wait for him in San Diego. I am actually looking at getting a job in SD.

I admit it....I cried too after both of those games. Getting choked up just thinking how great it would be to see that first game all over again! At least here....we have at least 6 years.

Thunderstruck
09-10-2004, 07:49 PM
So, are those of you who are Wolfpack fans also fans of the Panthers in the NFL? Sorry if it's an ignorant question...I just don't know. I know you are rooting for the Chargers with Rivers, but I'm just curious if you care about the Panthers at all.

Riversrat
09-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
So, are those of you who are Wolfpack fans also fans of the Panthers in the NFL? Sorry if it's an ignorant question...I just don't know. I know you are rooting for the Chargers with Rivers, but I'm just curious if you care about the Panthers at all.

Hi Thunder,

Yes, I'm definitely a Panthers fan since their first day. I'm going to the Panthers/Chargers game. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I love the Panthers but I love Rivers too. By then I'm sure I will love the Chargers. I already consider myself a fan. I'll probably wear my NCSU 17 jersey and my Panthers hat.

But I'll definitely have a lot of internal conflict going on.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I am a Rivers fan first in foremost, I used to be a Panther fan but after Kerry Collins left I became a Steeler fan(Cowher is a NCSU Grad) Was a Steeler fan until draft day when the Chargers drafted Rivers and the Steelers drafted Big Ben

wpack
09-11-2004, 06:23 AM
I also follow Philip & many other ex-State player

WHITELIGHTNING
09-11-2004, 07:03 AM
I am a Bolts fan first, being from San Diego and all. I just happen to be living in NC and couldnt believe it when PR was traded to SD. I will say this, I have never been a fan of Brees though.

AthensPHILIPRfan
09-11-2004, 11:20 AM

Hi Thunderstruck...notta ignorant question at all. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Being from Bama, we're in the same situation that Philip has mentioned. For a long time, there wasn't a close NFL team to really follow except for Atlanta and actually there doesn't seem to be a lot of Falcons fans around here.

When the Titans came to Nashville most folks here seemed to automatically follow them. From here it only takes a lil over an hour to get to their stadium. Also prone to follow any players from Bama or Auburn who have went to the NFL.

For me, right now my teams are 1. Chargers and 2. Jets (GO JERRICHO COTCHERY!!) and 3. Titans and 4. Steelers mostly for sentimental reasons, they have the same colors as Athens High.

I love watching NFL games but haven't familiarized myself with them as much as high school and especially college games. Course, that is something that is rapidly changing! LOL

In other words...like I've said before, WHERE PHILIP RIVERS GOES OUR FAMILY FOLLOWS!

AthensPHILIPRfan
09-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by: Rivers2Tomlinson

Oh did you bring up a memory! I had no clue but was hoping with all my heart that State would retire PR's jersey. When we arrived in Raleigh for the Maryland game that Friday, a friend of ours in Raleigh called me and said "you are gonna love tomorrow, make sure yall get there early." I just smiled thinking sweetttt! Then, I really kinda put it outta my head. When we got to the tailgate and started walking down to the Murphy Center for the Walk of Champions, one of the guys said, "T, look over at the end of the stadium, and don't start crying!" LOL
There it was, an area by the retired jersey names draped with a red cloth. I knew then that Philip's jersey was being retired. God, I choked up so bad and just stood there with tears rolling down my face. That last Walk of Champions was something special for sure. Everything that day was just so well "last." It was highly emotional and like you wrote, it sure wasn't just me. It was the entire stadium. Being Senior Day was one element, but the honor that State gave Philip that day, I will never as long as I live forget the feelings of pride I had in him. I felt like my heart was gonna bust clear outta my chest.
By that far into the season, folks around us knew that we were from PR's hometown. It was just amazing and kinda weird...but folks actually were walking over, patting us on the back, shaking our hands, thanking us...and we were nothing but fans ourselves...for "sharing" Philip with them the past 4 years. I guess it was the closest way for them to thank "Athens" or something. I just know it was very overwhelming, sweet, appreciated, really aren't words to describe it.
I think I probably cried and smiled till I was just emotionally wore out at that Maryland game. It and that Tangerine Bowl....there's little I would trade for the honor of being there for them both. It was two very priceless moments in time that you really can't describe.

Sniff sniff...okay....I need some Puffs Plus tissues.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
Teresa

alcatraz
09-11-2004, 02:24 PM
No you're absolutely not the only Phillip Rivers fan. I was very excited to see him go to the Chargers and very proud of him in the way he handled in entire draft situation. It shows the true gentleman that he is. I can't wait to see his first official start.

Also in response to some other entries here. I do live in Charlotte North Carolina but do not pull for the Panthers. My teams are now the San Diego Chargers, the New York Jets ( go Jericho Cotchery ) and the Houston Texans!!

Rewound
09-11-2004, 05:07 PM

I'm a Panther's fan. Most of my friends and family root for the Panthers too so I think it's reasonable to assume most others are as well.

There are a number of Redskins fans here too, but not as many.

When the Chargers come to Charlotte this year, however, I'm rooting for the Chargers.

Riversrat
09-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm going to the NCSU/Ohio State game on Saturday. I am going to be curious to see how many River Chargers jerseys are there. I understand there were quite a few at their opening game last week.

Rivers2Tomlinson - you are right - I too am a Rivers fan first. When I read what you right I knew it was true.

For the first time in my life I have visited the Jets' site to see how Jericho is doing.

Wouldn't it be nice for the Charges to sign Koren Robinson, Jericho, Locklear and the Holt Brothers and the others out there (Know I'm missing someone big)

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Dont forget Adrain Wilson and Levar Fisher, I think they are both still with the Cards

Riversrat
09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
On offense intended towards Wilson or Fisher...it's just late and the brain is a little slow.