PDA

View Full Version : This just in from giants.com

Reena
09-08-2004, 10:40 PM
And I quote:

Ken writes, I'm pretty excited about the Giants signing Steve Christie today. I think it's great to have a veteran kicker who has had a very strong career over an un-proven young guy like Todd France.
I had 2 quick questions for you: Morten Andersen signed with the Vikings today also. So did the Giants choose Christie over Andersen or did Andersen happen to sign with the Vikings first and the Giants decided to then go after Christie? And how much does Christie have left in the tank?

Dear Ken:
The Giants did not look at Morten Andersen this week. They brought in Steve Christie and one other kicker, and Christie kicked well in his tryout. I believe Christie has plenty left in his tank, because he believes it. Hes 36, which is not terribly old for a kicker. Last year, he made 15 of 20 field goal attempts and all 36 of his extra point tries for the Chargers. He also kicked a 51-yard field goal. It seems to me he has plenty left, which is why the Giants signed him.

I almost feel bad for them, when they realize where the tank really is. Sure, he made 15 of 20, but I think 4 of the 5 missed were from 30-45 yards, which is where almost all important field goals are taken. That man has frustrated the sh!t out of me for the last few years. Not to mention I could kick the ball further than him on kickoffs..

geekster
09-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Those draft picks we got in the "trade" are looking better all the time IMHO!

foty89
09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Christie has been a quality kicker for a good period of time, but his leg strength has definitely declined. The point about him missing a lot of 35-40 yarders is right on, those are generally the most important ones. The reason his numbers looked that good is because our offense was allergic to the endzone last year.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Boltjolt
09-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Anytime you consistantly send the punter out when you are on the opponents 32 yard line should speak volumes about what the Chargers thought of Christie...unless he had a good wind at his back, which he did when he made the 51 yarder.

rrogers
09-09-2004, 12:46 AM
With a few exceptions, the kicking game all across the NFL has declined. Anderson was very good earlier in his career but the long range field goals won't even be attempted with him this year. It just seems teams are punting to try to back up the other team instead. With the addition of Keading to the Chargers I see the chargers attempting more long range field goals that were not attempted with Christie last year. Don't be surprised if Keading is one of the top kicking in the NFL this year.

CoronaDoug
09-09-2004, 02:17 AM
and don't forget that Eli Manning is the next coming of Kurt Warner.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif