PDA

View Full Version : The Chargers Cheap? Naaah...Ok maybe a little

TemeculaMike
09-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I am not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but ... for those of use choosing the "San Diego Chargers" as our favored "Home Team" in the NFL Free Challenge (fantasy football) contest, the weekly prize donated by the Chargers is pretty weak when compared to some of the other teams.

See, http://freechallenge.1.football.nfl.com/challenge/rules

For example, if your fantasy team wins the week, the Chargers give you: "Chargers Powder Blue Sun Visors (ARV: $11.99) - whooo hooo.

If on the other hand, you choose another team as your "favored" team you might get the following weekly prizes:

Cardinals = Two tickets to a Cardinals home game ($80)
Buccaneers = Two tickets to the next Bucs home game ($118)
Titan = Autographed copy 2004 Titans Yearbook ($50)

Of course, some teams don't offer "weekly prizes" so the fact the Chargers are handing something out is much better than nothing (e.g. Jaguars, Raiders, Chiefs, Colts, etc.)

The best (IMO) overall team prize is curtesy the Bears, which hand out a 50" Plasma display ($8,995), whereas the Chargers give you a "NFL Equipment: Chargers LaDanian Tomlinson Authentic Alternate Jersey ($264.99). Once again, some teams don't supply overall prizes so the Chargers participation is better than nothing and appreciated.

Temecula Mike

joelbolt
09-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey, I came up with those prizes! Tell you the truth we donít have a sponsor for the home team challenge like other teams, so that comes out of the website budget. Now you hurt my feeling! i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Like you said some teams don't supply prizes at all.

All right TemeculaMike you better play so I can get my numbers up so we can get better prizes. Sheeeeesh!

maverjoe
09-09-2004, 06:22 PM
insert foot in mouth

foty89
09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey Joelbolt, we love you man! Nothing wrong with being frugal with limited financial resources. And besides, I love to get the L.T. jersey. Would be cool to get it autographed too.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TemeculaMike
09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Given the fact the stadium will likely have a few thousand empty seats, I think you should get the Marketing department to pitch in and give away some home games. It may be the only chance some of us get to see a home game given the likely "black out." Moreover, the prizes you chose are discriminatory against those of use that wear glasses. Unless the glasses are prescription, even if I win ... I can't use them. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

I tell you what I am going to do ... I will go and fight for some better prizes. Just give me Alex's direct line/home phone number and I will give him a call (don't worry ... I will let him know that Joel told me to call ) i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mike i/expressions/SDG_Helmet.gif

SDRaiderH8er
09-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike
Given the fact the stadium will likely have a few thousand empty seats, I think you should get the Marketing department to pitch in and give away some home games. It may be the only chance some of us get to see a home game given the likely "black out." Moreover, the prizes you chose are discriminatory against those of use that wear glasses. Unless the glasses are prescription, even if I win ... I can't use them. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

I tell you what I am going to do ... I will go and fight for some better prizes. Just give me Alex's direct line/home phone number and I will give him a call (don't worry ... I will let him know that Joel told me to call ) i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mike i/expressions/SDG_Helmet.gifOh so as a season Ticket Holder, if you are going to start giving Tickets away, are you going to start and reduce the amount I have to Pay?

TemeculaMike
09-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike
i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif
First of all, I should have paid more attention because I somehow believed the chargers were giving away "sun glasses" and not a sun visor. Now ... as a balding white guy my problem is still there, but I suppose my wife could use it (assuming I even win - a huge long shot).

Second, to "SDRaiderH8er," assuming the Chargers were to give away tickets (to a partially empty stadium) rather than sun visors, the value of your tickets would not be impacted. Giving away tickets (as prizes) would have zero impact because the cost of the empty seats is a recurring cost in the base rent and solely born by the Chargers. Now, on the other hand, the sun visors are an additional expense (however minor) paid by the Chargers, which indirectly effects the price of your tickets in a negative manner (i.e. makes your tickets cost more).

Basic finance/economic theory dictates that every product has "market clearing" price whereby the "price" equally balances the "demand" with "supply." If the Chargers have empty seats to the stadium they have an excess "supply" and must either create a "demand" (through winning) or reduce the price of the tickets. The catch 22 here is the more fans that stay interested in the team, the greater the demand. Thus, the Chargers would be well served to keep demand high by lowering the price of the tickets. So to answer your question, yes, I believe the Chargers should lower the price of your season tickets, until such time as the demand for tickets catches up to the supply of seats.

Mike i/expressions/SDG_Helmet.gif

thndr65
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
The Plasma TV would only be worth around 500.00 in the next couple of years due to the advances of LCD technology. They also burn up in 3-5 years, then you would have the burder of disposing of it.

The LT jersy would only gain value if taken care of, if autographed the value of the jersy would increase.

sdchrger
04-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey, I came up with those prizes! Tell you the truth we donít have a sponsor for the home team challenge like other teams, so that comes out of the website budget. Now you hurt my feeling! i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Like you said some teams don't supply prizes at all.

All right TemeculaMike you better play so I can get my numbers up so we can get better prizes. Sheeeeesh!

That's too funny. Joelbolt you just got punk'd!

IgorUnchained
04-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Id take the LT Jersey over a Plasma Screen TV anyday.

The tickets would be great, but Im sure alot of folks that would choose the Chargers dont live close to San Diego.

I just realized this thread is almost a year old.....nevermind.

LTfan4life
04-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Id take the LT Jersey over a Plasma Screen TV anyday.

The tickets would be great, but Im sure alot of folks that would choose the Chargers dont live close to San Diego.

I just realized this thread is almost a year old.....nevermind.

LT Jersey over a PLASMA?! Sell the plasma and buy a projection tv and 10 Jerseys :D