PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gallery hindsight

IgorUnchained
09-10-2004, 05:43 AM
I didnt want Eli with the first pick and I was happy to hear about the Rivers pick when it happened, but does anyone ever give a few minutes to imagine this team with Gallery on the line and Brees and Flutie comfortable and confident with their roles for the next season? I am still optimistic about River's future but I dont think that he will do much good after the holdout. -- besides a minor injury early on Gallery is ready to start a long and productive career keeping Olshansky and Foley from dismantling their aging quarterbacks. What do you think? and do you think Gallery would have been a great fit for the Chargers right now?

Chargeroo
09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
I have no doubt that Gallery would have been a great pick for this team. Afterall, the o-line has been one of the major reasons for so much failure in recent years. However, we only had the first pick -wish we had the first three - Rivers/Gallery/Fitzgerald - may as well dream big! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

dgjock
09-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Gallery might be agood thing for the chargers now, but AJ also has to consider that if he picked Gallery, then Manning will definitely go to the Raiduhs. It will be a hassle if we have to face another Manning (although I doubt Eli will be as good as Peyton) twice a year for the next 10 years.

michael
09-10-2004, 07:05 PM
WHO CARES ABOUT ELI?????????????
F-him...id love to see him every year!!!!!!!!

I wish we had gallery all along....imagine drew behind a line that had good chemistry....whallah...you get a Tom Brady....solid, CONFIDENT.......

Rivers is great but again i thought were trying for the home run instead of the hard work....

shocku
09-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by: michael
WHO CARES ABOUT ELI?????????????

F-him...id love to see him every year!!!!!!!!

I wish we had gallery all along....imagine drew behind a line that had good chemistry....whallah...you get a Tom Brady....solid, CONFIDENT.......

Rivers is great but again i thought were trying for the home run instead of the hard work....

couldn't of said it any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bara02
09-14-2004, 02:30 AM
" does anyone ever give a few minutes to imagine this team with Gallery on the line and Brees and Flutie comfortable and confident with their roles for the next season? "

Gallery is not even a starting left tackle this season for the faders. He will be a bigtime bust if he plays guard for them. You dont pay a guard 40 mill...

IgorUnchained
09-14-2004, 03:20 AM
Gallery didnt start but he played quite a bit.... more than Rivers did in the Chargers game. Gallery looked good while in action - consistent up to the first block at least. He should be played at Tackle though.
I do agree as well that 40 mil is a lot for an O lineman of any caliber, esp one that is unproven at the pro level -- but should we ask Mr Rivers how much a clipboard holder should make a year? ...and lets talk incentives...

Im trying to love Rivers, trying all the time

Chargeraven
09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
I was ALL Gallery right up to the draft - I was screaming for a left-tackle . In hindsight now they I say with the addition of Roman Oben and the emergence of Van Buren and Fonoti that our O-line will be much better this year. Gallery would have given us a top-flite OLT for many years, but Oben is very capable in that spot and should give us blind-side protection and good run support to allow the young offence to develop, for a few years at least. If I'm GM I'm looking for an OLT in upcoming draft years.
How did Olivea do at ORT on Sunday?

Tomlinson21
09-14-2004, 09:03 AM
You can't get an OLT just by college play alone. Although Gallery was a very good collegiate player, I think we were right with getting Roman O. from Tampa Bay. He is a big time veteran of the game and knows how to play LT in the NFL. I take consistency and efficiency over a rookie any day when it comes to O-linemen. Although it is unfair to compare Gallery to a Roman O. based on years of experience --- I think we made the logical decision there. How can anyone pass him up? He blocked for the Super Bowl Champs just a few years ago.

squabble
09-14-2004, 11:21 AM
I'd have taken Gallery and let the Raiders have Manning, Manning hasn't done a single thing that made him worth that sort of draft position... Well other than be born a Manning!

flutiefan1
09-14-2004, 09:04 PM
the rivers pick was a joke and gallery is already ranked in the top 5 at his position and will make the pro bowl this year and for many years to come, rivers is unproven and looked horrible in the preseason, brees is better than rivers and flutie is better than both of them put together, just my humble opinion.

WHITELIGHTNING
09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by: flutiefan1
the rivers pick was a joke and gallery is already ranked in the top 5 at his position and will make the pro bowl this year and for many years to come, rivers is unproven and looked horrible in the preseason, brees is better than rivers and flutie is better than both of them put together, just my humble opinion.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I needes a good laugh. What a boink.

Brigrat
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM

Did you actually watch any preseason games? Rivers first drive against the 49ers was bad, but after that he got better each drive, and ended up looking pretty impressive. I was there, I saw it with my own eyes, and I did not have to rely on hilight reels to make my observations. I didn't want Rivers any more than the next guy, I was a Gallery or Fitzgerald fan personnaly, but to say Rivers looked horrible in the preseason without clarifying the number of practices he had, and the improvments he showed is kind of ignorant.

I enjoyed seeing the bolts play in San Francisco, and was impressed by River's improvements. I'll bet if you could get your head out of Fluties lap, you would probably agree!

Boltman29
09-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Guys, here's my take. I hated what we did in the draft. I still believe that Drew can be an all-pro with a better O-line and a big-time WR. I thought then, and I still do, that we should've traded down a few spots and drafted WR Roy Williams. A big dude who is fast, decent hands and can knock the snot out of strong safeties in the running game. He's a stud. What do you think?

Chargeroo
09-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by: Boltman29
Guys, here's my take. I hated what we did in the draft. I still believe that Drew can be an all-pro with a better O-line and a big-time WR. I thought then, and I still do, that we should've traded down a few spots and drafted WR Roy Williams. A big dude who is fast, decent hands and can knock the snot out of strong safeties in the running game. He's a stud. What do you think?

I think Roy Williams disappeared in the biggest games that Texas played. He did his best work against the teams that were the poorest competition. That scared me on Williams. On the other side of that coin, Rivers had his best games when they played the best teams, when they played in Bowl games, and in the Senior bowl. That makes me think he'll be a good pro.

I wanted Gallery but I trust that the Chargers brain trust must know more about both Brees and Gallery than I do ............. so I'm happy to have Rivers and I'm sure he's the future for Charger fans.

run21lt
09-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I was hoping the Chargers would choose Gallery. Only time will tell whether going with Manning and swapping hm for Rivers was a good move. I have to trust that the people who make these decisions know more about the players than I do.

GO BOLTS!

Bob Eccles
Carleton, MI

Shamrock
09-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Could of, would of, should of .......

It doesn't matter. We've got Rivers, and two #1's next year.

Root for what we have, and how they will develop, and DON'T waste your time thinking about a damn Raider ......

Shamrock
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey FF#1,

Where ya' been? I've missed you .......

BEACHWALKER
09-17-2004, 08:24 AM
OLIVEA WILL HAVE A BETTER YEAR THAN GALLERY, AND HE WAS A LOT CHEAPER.

MahoganyRush
09-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I am happy with the Rivers pick and Brees starting. Rivers will learn the system pretty fast and be more comfortable. Brees' first series looked awful and Rivers' first seies was awesome, but as we seen, that means nothing. I am behind Brees all the way until River's is ready to step in, which we will never know until that time. I love Flutie as well, but 3rd string is where he fits in right now. If Brees got hurt during a game, they would probably put in Flutie over Rivers at this point in the season. Go Chargers!

turbo
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lmfao Great Thread this one :LightsOut: yeap Gallery turned out to be such a superstar :LightsOut: I think where all happy with Rivers now arent we :)

TurnerThaBurner
07-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Lmfao Great Thread this one :LightsOut: yeap Gallery turned out to be such a superstar :LightsOut: I think where all happy with Rivers now arent we :)
Too bad you couldn't say that 3 years ago when this thread had a pulse! :crazy:

TJ21
07-01-2007, 09:53 PM
How do you newbs even find these threads?