PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post from the U-T forums

dgjock
09-10-2004, 08:59 AM
I read this interesting posting in the U-T forums. I don't know if this is a hoax or not, but I think it's true. Don't shoot the messenger. I just thought it's interesting

U-T forums post (http://forum.uniontrib.com/upload/showthread.php?s=86be952ec77bf9cdebb0d83b4e9f0e5e&threadid=34349)

joelbolt
09-10-2004, 10:39 AM
I donít want to over react. Personally I think it's totally bogus. I have seen similar post like this before. Is it true? I have no idea. If you want to read it, click on the link. I donít want this forum to be a place to bash the Spanos. They have been very good to me and allowed me to go live with these message boards despite knowing that they will come under fire.

robanalog
09-10-2004, 10:42 AM
so joel bolt, does that mean the spanos and members of the front office will at times browse the board just to check the fans' reactions and suggestions? that would be one of the coolest things is if the fans are listened to.

Thunderstruck
09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Man I dunno...I'm no fan of the Spanoses, but anytime someone tries to paint another person as purely evil, it makes me start to doubt the claims. No one is purely good or purely bad. Sounds to me like Beathard is still bitter. If I recall correctly, wasn't it because of Beathard that Bobby Ross left? Maybe the Spanoses lost faith in Beathard after that.

Beathard said Manning didn't want to play for the Spanoses...and "word gets around" (well, according to the poster Beathard said that.) If Beathard is telling that stuff to a flower-deliveryman, you don't suppose Beathard is the one spreading the word?

dgjock
09-10-2004, 11:30 AM
One thing not true from that story is that Brian S did not coach Ramsey. According to the chrgers staff profile, Brian S moved to SD by 2002, while Ramsey had just been drafted the same year (2002 draft).

From that, I think the whole thing is bogus

Shamrock
09-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Tomlinson has faith in the Spanoses.

That's good enough for me.

geekster
09-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Why are you talking about something on the U-T forums here?

Thunderstruck
09-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by: geekster
Why are you talking about something on the U-T forums here?

Slow day?

geekster
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Needing some hits over there?

sd21run
09-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Just because the captain of a ship has been good to you, does not justify turning a deaf ear to a crewmember who has informed you that the ship is heading directly into an iceberg.
The Spanos' have made Sept. - Dec. the coldest months in San Diego for the past 20 years (save 1994). They have made Sunday's for football fans in san diego feel like Monday's: hard to stomach.
Before Spanos: 5 x AFL Division Champs, 1 x AFL Champions, 3 x NFL West Division Champs, 2 AFC Championship Game appearances.
With Spanos: 131 wins - 188 losses, 1 SuperBowl appearance (credit that to Bobby Ross.)
The Spanos' purchased the Chargers in 1984. In 20 seasons, the Spanos' Chargers have compiled 16 seaons with a record of .500 or worse, 11 of those seasons being sub .500 (Not to mention their streak of 8 consecutive seasons withOUT a winning record - 1995's record of 9-7 was the Spanos' MOST RECENT WINNING SEASON).
So...How good have the Spanos' been to their fans? 'nuf said.

WHITELIGHTNING
09-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Old man Spanos was not a football man when he pruchased the team, I think Dean is changing into a fine president. Doesn't Dean work the Football business only, I mean he isn't involved with all the other family business is he.

GOBOLTS4Life
09-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by: sd21run
Just because the captain of a ship has been good to you, does not justify turning a deaf ear to a crewmember who has informed you that the ship is heading directly into an iceberg.

The Spanos' have made Sept. - Dec. the coldest months in San Diego for the past 20 years (save 1994). They have made Sunday's for football fans in san diego feel like Monday's: hard to stomach.

Before Spanos: 5 x AFL Division Champs, 1 x AFL Champions, 3 x NFL West Division Champs, 2 AFC Championship Game appearances.

With Spanos: 131 wins - 188 losses, 1 SuperBowl appearance (credit that to Bobby Ross.)

The Spanos' purchased the Chargers in 1984. In 20 seasons, the Spanos' Chargers have compiled 16 seaons with a record of .500 or worse, 11 of those seasons being sub .500 (Not to mention their streak of 8 consecutive seasons withOUT a winning record - 1995's record of 9-7 was the Spanos' MOST RECENT WINNING SEASON).

So...How good have the Spanos' been to their fans? 'nuf said.

GOBOLTS4Life
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM

So...How good have the Spanos' been to their fans? 'nuf said.[/quote]

I agree. Maybe with a new owner and rejuvination the fans of SD might not have to stomach bad mondays anymore...

Shamrock
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by: dgjock
One thing not true from that story is that Brian S did not coach Ramsey. According to the chrgers staff profile, Brian S moved to SD by 2002, while Ramsey had just been drafted the same year (2002 draft).

From that, I think the whole thing is bogus
But if the poster (Lowe2LT) is telling the truth, then this shows you that Beathard is harboring enough venom that he would make up lies to further his point.

Because of the Ramsey issue, nothing in this post can be believed, even if Lowe2LT is relating exactly what happened.

SDRaiderH8er
09-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I am on record for not liking the Spanos'es, but with that this is a Charger.Com Production, and with that I will respect that. As much as I would like to, I do respect their willingness to let the Website start a fan Forum.

dgjock
09-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I guess the moderators should close this thread before this thread become a spanos bashing thread

IronMountain1960
09-11-2004, 11:08 AM
I have said this before and I will say it again, the Spanos family has spent more money on the Chargers than the average NFL owner has. They gave Bethard, the " smartest man in football" millions to become the Charger Gm, at the time he was one of, if not the highest paid GM in football, he became the dumbest Gm soon after and then stripped the team of most of its talent. When Bobby Ross wanted to have more say over who the players were and who the coaches were, the Spanos family backed Bethard, who at that time had gotten the Chargers to the SB, one of the Bobby's had to go, and if there was a mistake made by the Spanos family it was in trusting Bethard, who then ruined the team with terrible draft picks and trades. That was an honest mistake, that many others would have made, they did their best, and unfortunatly Ross left.

After Bethard had completely ruined the team he was fired, at a hugh loss of money for the Chargers, who then hired the best drafting Gm in the NFL, and gave him another big contract, Butler drafted great,he got San Diego LT, but gutted the team of itts core vets, Parella, Seau, Harrison, Carney, to name a few, and then gave millions of the Spanos and Charger dollars to losers like Wide Righty, Stephanie, and Wiley, who did nothing but ruin any chances the team had at winning games. Is that the owners fault, they gave big money to Gm's and players who couldn't and didn't do the job. They hire GM's with big contracts who were supposed to be the best and turned into the worst. The answer is no, a good NFL owner is supposed to hire football men, and stay out of their decisions, and that is what the Spanos family has done.

The uninformed fans, lead by the uniformed and lousy press, headed by the UT, convinced all the doubters that the team was going to LA, did they, will they, or do they want to, the answer is NO. Junk put out by the UT to sell newpapers convinced people who really don't have a clue, that the team wanted to leave when all they wanted was a new state of the art Stadium for the Chargers and San Diego to be proud of. The Spanos family wants to build a new stadium for San Diego, they give top dollar for players and Gm's, and now have a great new GM in AJ Smith who is hitting nothing but home runs in his first two years. I think the Spanos family has done everything they could to have a winning football team and I think they are great owners.

Shamrock
09-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Solid post, IM.