PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Charger History

sayne812
09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm a new here, so forgive me if this is an old and moldy topic.

I have been a Charger fan since they first came to San Diego. I remember seeing them in Balboa Stadium - sitting on those concrete seats. I remember the Dodge Charger commercials with Lance Alworth and John Hadl. I remember Ernie Ladd and Jacque Mc Kinnon wrestling - this is pre RAW. I remember Coca-Cola bottle caps with Charger pictures on the inside. I even remember people wondering if the San Diego State Aztecs with Coryell could beat the post-Alworth/pre-Fouts Chargers. I can go on and on.

Now, I have been away from San Diego for 20 years, and I'm wondering. Have the Chargers retired any numbers? Do they hang the championship banners of ALL the division, conference and league championships since 1960? Do they at least hang the jerseys of their NFL or team Hall of Fame members? If so, thanks for letting me know. If not, am I alone in thinking they should?

If the Padres can retire Tony Gwynn's #19, the Chargers could and should retire Lance Alworth's #19, too.
If the city can name streets and parkways after Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams, where are the Charger names?

Shamrock
09-11-2004, 12:55 PM
This page (http://www.fact-index.com/s/sa/san_diego_chargers.html)shows no retired numbers.

Somebody has a sense of humor on that site. Check out the list of "Current Stars."

SDRaiderH8er
09-11-2004, 12:58 PM
The only number to ever have been retired by the Chargers

#14 Dan Fouts

Hall of Fame (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=27#)]

Click on "Facts and Firsts"

compubolt
09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by: Shamrock
This page (http://www.fact-index.com/s/sa/san_diego_chargers.html)shows no retired numbers.

Somebody has a sense of humor on that site. Check out the list of "Current Stars."

Jerry Bransford (Water Boy/Benchwarmer)

To damned funny

SDRaiderH8er
09-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by: compubolt

Originally posted by: Shamrock

Jerry Bransford (Water Boy/Benchwarmer)

To damned funnyJoelBolt hangs around here, do you think if we asked really nice, he would be able to get his Autograph for us?

compubolt
09-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Naw I want to get my favorite water boy siggy, none other then mr. Bobby Boucher. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

SDRaiderH8er
09-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by: compubolt
Naw I want to get my favorite water boy siggy, none other then mr. Bobby Boucher. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifYOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chargeroo
09-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by: sayne812
I'm a new here, so forgive me if this is an old and moldy topic.

I have been a Charger fan since they first came to San Diego. I remember seeing them in Balboa Stadium - sitting on those concrete seats. I remember the Dodge Charger commercials with Lance Alworth and John Hadl. I remember Ernie Ladd and Jacque Mc Kinnon wrestling - this is pre RAW. I remember Coca-Cola bottle caps with Charger pictures on the inside. I even remember people wondering if the San Diego State Aztecs with Coryell could beat the post-Alworth/pre-Fouts Chargers. I can go on and on.

Now, I have been away from San Diego for 20 years, and I'm wondering. Have the Chargers retired any numbers? Do they hang the championship banners of ALL the division, conference and league championships since 1960? Do they at least hang the jerseys of their NFL or team Hall of Fame members? If so, thanks for letting me know. If not, am I alone in thinking they should?

If the Padres can retire Tony Gwynn's #19, the Chargers could and should retire Lance Alworth's #19, too.

If the city can name streets and parkways after Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams, where are the Charger names?

sayne812 You sound like me. I moved North in either '83 or '84 but I did attend the very first game in Balboa Stadium in 1961 and I had season tickets over 20 years. The place was under construction and it was a mess but it was sure fun! I got hooked on Charger football way back then and here I am. I agree that Alworth's number should have been retired and so should Ron Mix's number been retired. I understand that the NFL has banned the custom of retiring numbers because they'll run out of numbers. It seems to me though that all players that were good enough to make the HOF should be remember at the stadium by some sort of display.

Nice post sayne812, and welcome to the forum.

TrabucoWR
09-11-2004, 08:36 PM
How are #80, #18, and #19 not retired?! Winslow Alworth and Joiner were amazing! 55 will be retired though, no doubt.

RBloom
07-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I thought that teams weren't allowed to retire #'s anymore?

JoeMcRugby
07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought that teams weren't allowed to retire #'s anymore?

I believe they are allowed to retire numbers, but the NFL wants it limited to the extreme.

The NFL requires that certain position players wear numbers within a certain range. Once a franchise starts retiring numbers in mass, it may run out of numbers for the positional players.

Instead, the policy that the NFL encourages and most teams follow is where even though the team hasn't officially retired the number, they simply don't use it anymore.

For example, when is the last time "19" was issued? Some old-timers may help me out, but my guess is that the only possible time that it has been issued since Alworth was traded was when Johnny U played his one season for the Chargers - and I'm not positive that they even did it then.

The prime example is the Cowboys "Ring of Honor" where the numbers (although not officially retired) are put up around the stadium along with the corresponding name.

Tomlinson21
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
#55 will be up there hanging on the rafters for sure!

JoeMcRugby
07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
#55 will be up there hanging on the rafters for sure!

You can bet that it won't be worn again, but I'll also bet that it won't be officially retired either.

SDRaiderH8er
07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
This thread was started almost a Year ago.

SDChargeHer
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
21 is on the list soon

Bubba86
07-11-2005, 06:25 PM
i thought this thread got locked :confused:

geekster
07-11-2005, 06:52 PM
i thought this thread got locked :confused:
I unlocked it after discussing it with Chargeroo.

-=dave=-

geekster
07-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I believe they are allowed to retire numbers, but the NFL wants it limited to the extreme.

The NFL requires that certain position players wear numbers within a certain range. Once a franchise starts retiring numbers in mass, it may run out of numbers for the positional players.

Instead, the policy that the NFL encourages and most teams follow is where even though the team hasn't officially retired the number, they simply don't use it anymore.

For example, when is the last time "19" was issued? Some old-timers may help me out, but my guess is that the only possible time that it has been issued since Alworth was traded was when Johnny U played his one season for the Chargers - and I'm not positive that they even did it then.

The prime example is the Cowboys "Ring of Honor" where the numbers (although not officially retired) are put up around the stadium along with the corresponding name.

Your post was spot on as always Joe. "Upon further review" - the first sentence is absolutely correct.

Apologies to RBloom for temporarily closing this thread.

-=dave=-

WHITELIGHTNING
07-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Dang and I can still remember the drive thru Lance Alworth dry cleaners.

chargerfan14
07-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I got hooked on the bolts in the Dan Fouts era. Those Air Coryell teams were the most exciting of any football team I remember. I still pop the tape of that great championship game vs Miami played in '82 from time to time.

I am glad this topic was 'unlocked' because I love to hear about those very early years. I do remember that the Dodge Charger was first introduced at a Chargers game during a halftime in the '65 season.

Anyone else have some good way back when nostalgia?

MoonBolt
11-28-2006, 08:58 PM
:14: and :19: are retired. :19: earlier this year (2006).

#74 (Ron Mix, Canton inductee) was retired years ago. But then the dolt came out of retirement to play for the Raiders of all teams. His number was subsequently unretired by the Chargers. Louie Kelcher wore it in the early Fouts era. I think Mr. Mix is still an attorney here in San Diego.

Chargeroo
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
This thread is old - check the dates on page one. At that time only Fouts #14 had officially been retired. Since then they have also had a big ceremony and retired the Alworth's #19. Those are the only two numbers ever officially retired.

We can open this thread back up when they retire #21 some time in the future. :)