PDA

View Full Version : Drew Dominates Texans!

Boltman29
09-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Way to go Drew!! I hope Marty sees the light and resigns you to a contract extension!!!

Tomlinson21
09-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Good job Drew...just totally keep that focus and fire I saw on the field and sidelines and rest assured you Antonio Gates and Ladanian will carry this team to our first playoff appearance in years. You are on fire and I congratulate you on a great win.

Keep it up man...I know you're probably telling yourself: "That's what you all get for doubting me.". Let that be your drive Drew and you will succeed.

HeadTrip
09-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I wish him the best possible season. That way we can trade him for more.

Hey im just being realistic. This team is going to be Rivers no matter what Drew does this year.

pickedoff
09-12-2004, 08:43 PM
DB had a good day today, no Int's, no turn overs !
It sure helps to have an O-line in front of you !

optout
09-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Yah I agree. Keep up the good work Drew. So your trade worthiness goes up and we get something decent back.

Bolts4Life21
09-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Brees was never compared to Fouts for one. Yeah, his numbers weren't great, but he was descent enough, and looked a lot better than last year. Yeah it's still early, but true bolts fans gotta look on the bright side and hope for the best. I also said that when and if he starts to fail, rivers will be in. I don't want to see that happen because that means we'll be in the losing column. So maybe I'm in denial that the chargers are being devious and just planning to trade Brees the minute he fails, but there is some truth to it, it seems. We'll see what happens. Either way, go bolts! It's all uphill improvement, and there's no more 5 year plan, changes are happening right now.

optout
LOL to be frank. Brees still sucks. He floated half his passes to Japan. 205 yards passing is not exactly Fouts like. Almost got LT killed like twice. Wow no turnovers. But wait the season is still early. Sucks to be us. I still see the same Brees from last year. This one win does not tell us anything about Brees. If we did not have those 4 turnovers we would have lost the game. So that tells us Brees did not win this game and his numbers show it. Brees started out strong before, then his play got sloppy as the year progressed. Only time will tell if he actually improves. I think he is trade bait to a team that will need a QB soon. The sooner we can dump him off the better. Need to get PR and CL their reps regardless if we lose the rest of our games this year. Maybe one day we will have a real QB again.

Bolts4Life21
There's all this QB talk lately, and for what? Drew Brees is a good QB, and the O-line has finally come together and finally got healthy so he could prove that. He's there starter....period. We all know what's gonna happen. Brees is it until his season starts crumbling, in which case Rivers will take over, if he fails it'll go back and forth, but if he doesn't, I see them trading Brees. However, if Brees continues to be successful, then I honestly can't say. As for Flutie, unless they really need help, or really need a spark if Brees and Rivers can't do it, he'll just slowly wind down his career, and either be traded, or retire after this season. There won't be any use for him with two great quarterbacks, one of which who just cruised in on a boat load of money, and one who is doing very well so far. Lemon will obviously be the third. That's it, there's nothing left to say, that's the situation, unless you see the outlook differently. I'm open to criticism and comments. Go Bolts!

Chargeroo
09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I couldn't believe he didn't fumble on that big blind side hit. Props to drew for holding on to that ball. No INT's and two nice Touch Downs. He supplied enough good passes to get a win. Good job Drew.

Doc!
09-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Marty is on the clock, No wins = gone midseason is my guess with Wade taking over.

SuperMatt
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by: Bolts4Life21
There's all this QB talk lately, and for what? Drew Brees is a good QB, and the O-line has finally come together and finally got healthy so he could prove that. He's there starter....period. We all know what's gonna happen. Brees is it until his season starts crumbling, in which case Rivers will take over, if he fails it'll go back and forth, but if he doesn't, I see them trading Brees. However, if Brees continues to be successful, then I honestly can't say. As for Flutie, unless they really need help, or really need a spark if Brees and Rivers can't do it, he'll just slowly wind down his career, and either be traded, or retire after this season. There won't be any use for him with two great quarterbacks, one of which who just cruised in on a boat load of money, and one who is doing very well so far. Lemon will obviously be the third. That's it, there's nothing left to say, that's the situation, unless you see the outlook differently. I'm open to criticism and comments. Go Bolts!

Yeah, I agree. Anyone with a QB rating of 125.174 really should look into another line of work.

Open your eyes, optout, Brees had a stellar game, threw the passes he needed to when he needed to and led this team to an opening day WIN.

optout
09-13-2004, 12:56 AM
*Laughs. Wow Matt. This is one win against a 3rd year expansion team. I'm happy for the win, but dread what the rest of the season brings us with Drew at the helm. Im all for him if he grows out of his early year follies and quits handing the ball to the other team the second half of the season. Thats right he needed those passes. He also needed four Texan turnovers. Wait til we play someone who does not make many errors on offense like KC or Denver. 4 and out wont cut it. Floatin that third down pass wont satisfy anybody. You overlook his errors today. But those errors are bigtime costly against real football teams. Our revamped defense is still in test mode, they got ran over the first half in Texas but picked it up in the 2nd half. If we have even a mediocre defense this year we might be able to win some more games for Drew.

james
09-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by: optout
*Laughs. Wow Matt. This is one win against a 3rd year expansion team. I'm happy for the win, but dread what the rest of the season brings us with Drew at the helm. Im all for him if he grows out of his early year follies and quits handing the ball to the other team the second half of the season. Thats right he needed those passes. He also needed four Texan turnovers. Wait til we play someone who does not make many errors on offense like KC or Denver. 4 and out wont cut it. Floatin that third down pass wont satisfy anybody. You overlook his errors today. But those errors are bigtime costly against real football teams. Our revamped defense is still in test mode, they got ran over the first half in Texas but picked it up in the 2nd half. If we have even a mediocre defense this year we might be able to win some more games for Drew.

He, whether it be Drew, Rivers, Flutie, Clemon, or who ever the starting QB at the time is does not need 4 tunovers to win the game , but rather the team needed 4 tunovers . This is team sport, where everyone plays together in order to reach one goal and that is to win. The turnovers didnt help Drew win anything but it did help the team win by giving Drew and the rest of the offence the opportunity to step up and take advantage. Im not saying that Drew or the rest of the team had an excellent game but they played together as a team and won. Honestly, I dont care who QB`s as long as the Chargers play good team football. That alone will bring more wins than last year alone. Who knows maybe even more.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-13-2004, 08:00 AM
I think that the better Brees does the more likely you will see him traded by week 6(trade deadline).

RMANCIL
09-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Brees played a very solid game and it isn't in this offense his job to carry the team.That seems so hard for so manny to understand.

Brees changed some plays at the los,looked off the safteys on his TD pass to Parker and held on to the ball when he was sacked.Threw no INt ,that was a very good performance for him and the Team.

Man it is a team game.

The defense and in particular the MLB and safteys must play the run between the tackles much better and if you want to talk about winning and losing and focus on a area that needs to improve their you go.

Chargeroo
09-13-2004, 10:12 AM
LOL to be frank. Brees still sucks. He floated half his passes to Japan. 205 yards passing is not exactly Fouts like. Almost got LT killed like twice. Wow no turnovers. But wait the season is still early. Sucks to be us. I still see the same Brees from last year. This one win does not tell us anything about Brees. If we did not have those 4 turnovers we would have lost the game. So that tells us Brees did not win this game and his numbers show it. Brees started out strong before, then his play got sloppy as the year progressed. Only time will tell if he actually improves. I think he is trade bait to a team that will need a QB soon. The sooner we can dump him off the better. Need to get PR and CL their reps regardless if we lose the rest of our games this year. Maybe one day we will have a real QB again. This sounds like another Canadian that's crazy about Flutie and thinks Doug will be starting again if only that pesky Brees went away.

The guy had a passer rating of over 125 and you're still critical of him. Some people are hard to please. Give it up for Drew, he had a nice game.

optout
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Come on! You guys are giving Brees to much credit to fast, granted he got the win. I agree, this is a team sport, and thats how we got the season opener. I seen the same exact excitement and anticipation last year. We all had our foot in mouths at the end of the season. 3 seasons of giving the ball to the opposing team. How many more seasons must we suffer? I'd rather sit through another season of developing a new QB like PR and/or CL then watch Dreaded Brees. You guys talk about his passer rating now. We still have to wait to see what the season brings. Like i said, 3rd year expansion team win. Wait til we play KC or Denver. No room for hi floaters and 3 and outs. (Brees is now 5-16 in last 21 starts). We need a impact Quarterback. Someone who will play consistantly for years to come. Someone you know that when the game is on the line you can put it in his hands and he will make the right decisions. Last year was so bad, on passing situations they should of kept the offense off the field and just yelled hike from the sidelines.

Chargeroo
09-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Optout , read the posts again - we're praising him for yesterday, not for tomorrow. What is it you think is wrong with saying a guy had a nice game? You may be right, this may well be his only good game this year. On the other hand, he played well in the pre-season too and putting the pre-season with this game, what's wrong with having some high hopes? I think Charger fans deserve something to have high hope for. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM

So, what you're saying is that if Drew Brees can't overcome really bad Bolts defense, then he sucks as a QB? The Texans would have had to score 28 points to win (maybe more, since the Chargers went conservative in the last 5 minutes.) If the defense gives up 28+ points in a game when the offense doesn't turn the ball over, then it's the defense's fault, not the QB.

Brees didn't win that game singlehandedly, but he was the only QB on the team who would have won that game.

boltman
09-13-2004, 12:29 PM
yes drew kicked some butt

SDtwin
09-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Drew Brees did a pretty decent job against the Texans. He finally learned how to old on to the ball and is good enough to be a starter. I think it is good to have him playing, at least while he is still hot, and give Rivers some time to learn more about the NFL. As for Brees, I see him staying with the team as long as he performs consisntently well. We are not going to trade a QB who is performing welll just to test drive a rookie. Then again this is the Chargers. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

optout
09-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Chargeroo. Yah, there is nothing wrong for prasing him for his game yesterday. No Ints, No fumbles, 2 TD's, 100yd receiver. But the floaters and 3 and outs were reminders of the last 3 seasons. Im just saying we have a long way to go before we can get excited. People are acting like Drew is going to march this team into 3 superbowls. We have been in this same position before only for a let down. Like the last 3 seasons. I thought last year was a huge let down.

Thunder. Really bad defense comes from a really bad offense. They feed off of each other. If the offense is always on the sideline the defense is always on the field and getting tired making a bad defense worse. At the same time, a bad defense cant hold their own for most of the game anyway. But if you have a bad defense with some energy left at the end of the game, they can make a decent stand in a close game. IF THE QB CANT KEEP THE OFFENSE ON THE FIELD YOUR DEFENSE IS USELESS COME 4TH QUARTER. That's what we have grown accustomed to the last 3 years. If you watched the Texan game you will notice LT got that last first down preventing the Texans from getting the ball for a last opportunity. That means our defense did not have to go out there and try and hold. Now if LT did not get the first down. The offense just hands the ball over to the other team. Your the QB you know your teams defense sucks. Your job is to keep the chains moving. If your a halfway decent QB you know the game is in your hands and you find ways to keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. If you go 3 and out like you have been the last 3 seasons, its your fault. its the offense's fault. If your time of possession is 15 minutes and the other team controls the ball for 45 minutes, and you lost 35 nothing are thinking the defense lost the game? I certainly hope not. IF YOUR OFFENSE SCORES AND CONTROLS THE CLOCK, YOU KEEP YOUR DEFENSE OFF THE FIELD, YOU CONTROL THE GAME, YOU WIN AND YOU DONT GIVE THE DEFENSE AN OPPORTUNITY TO LOSE THE GAME. Drew controls the teams destiny. Why does he have to overcome a bad bolts defense? He should keep the bolts defense off the field as often as possible.

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Optout:

If bad defense is all about being tired because of the offense's inability to stay on the field, what was their excuse last season when the Chargers were consistently in a big hole by the end of the first quarter?

And you say the offense and defense feed off each other. True. On the same token, Drew Brees is not the ONLY player on the offense. Last year, the Bolts had few players on offense who would step up and make a big play when it mattered. Yesterday, Gates, Caldwell, Parker, and Tomlinson all made big plays and good catches.

Every NFL QB will miss passes. The key is if he misses the pass into the hands of the other team, or if the ball falls harmlessly to the turf.

Also, how many 3-and-outs did the Chargers have yesterday?

I agree that Brees started playing very badly at times last season, but I disagree that it's because he sucks. I QB needs to have confidence in his offensive line and receivers. If he doesn't, he's going to look hesitant and unsure. If the Charger's defense and offensive supporting cast improves, Brees will look a lot better--like he did yesterday.

RMANCIL
09-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck

So, what you're saying is that if Drew Brees can't overcome really bad Bolts defense, then he sucks as a QB? The Texans would have had to score 28 points to win (maybe more, since the Chargers went conservative in the last 5 minutes.) If the defense gives up 28+ points in a game when the offense doesn't turn the ball over, then it's the defense's fault, not the QB.

Brees didn't win that game singlehandedly, but he was the only QB on the team who would have won that game.

That about covers it.

spysnipedis
09-13-2004, 03:44 PM
brees had no int. that was a good day. i think rivers is my least favorite qb right now. my list goes
1.brees
2.flutie
3.lemon
4.rivers <-- not ready

sanluischargerfan
09-13-2004, 03:57 PM
LOL to be frank. Brees still sucks. He floated half his passes to Japan. 205 yards passing is not exactly Fouts like. Almost got LT killed like twice. Wow no turnovers. But wait the season is still early. Sucks to be us. I still see the same Brees from last year. This one win does not tell us anything about Brees. If we did not have those 4 turnovers we would have lost the game. So that tells us Brees did not win this game and his numbers show it. Brees started out strong before, then his play got sloppy as the year progressed. Only time will tell if he actually improves. I think he is trade bait to a team that will need a QB soon. The sooner we can dump him off the better. Need to get PR and CL their reps regardless if we lose the rest of our games this year. Maybe one day we will have a real QB again.

================================================== ================
Wow, You seem to be stuck in the past. The fact is that Drew had a good game. He didn't complete every pass. Is that what you mean by float to Japan? His QB rating was like 125. He didn't turn the ball over. That’s all I really want from my QB. Make plays and hold on to the ball. IMO if the Oline gives Drew protection he can be the type of QB that puts us in the position to win games. Is he a HOF prospect? No. He is a lot better than most people think.

dgjock
09-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Some people are just very hard to please. Unless drew completes 100% of his pass, threw 10 tds, run for 300 yds and score another 10, they wont be pleased. I'm just glad for the win and for Drew not making any mistakes yesterday. I'm also glad to see Drew finnaly get a supporting cast he can play the game with

optout
09-13-2004, 04:31 PM
You guys all got valid points. The facts are there, i wont deny those. Agreed Drew did have a good game. But with a flash of last year if i may. If he can maintain this level of play all year, I will jump back on his bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I saw some kickarse improvements in his game. Like that pass to Parker looking off the linebacker and safety. The key is can he keep it up. I just don't want you guys getting all hyped up on him over 1 game. Then get the door slammed in our faces the rest of the season. I was a huge Brees fan his 1st year. But with his inconsistancy, has turned me off.

desertdevil
09-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Last year was last year the only person who had a memorable season was LT, Solid outing for Brees and company, A good platform to build on into next week. Optout I sure hope you not blaming Brees for last year, because I could go through every game last year and pick out people other than Brees for the losses. I would say most was poor coaching decesions, I said it in another thread, but what coach gives LT just 10 carries to do something because thats what Marty did for a couple of games. Defense has been a problem, the season before last when they went 8-8 the Def gave to many big plays and scores late in the game and when the bolts needed a win to get in the playoffs or have a chance in the last game Brees was marching the team down the field and a rookie receiver tried to do to much and fumble the ball costing the Bolts any chance at the playoffs. Brees had a sub-par Sophmore season as a starter last year yes, but most of his int's where caused by trying to do to much by himself to win the game, a true sign of a gamer. I am assuming was part of his motivation for the year, plus, yes it does not hurt that it is his last contract year, what NFL player does try harder during that period.

If the team plays together this year the chargers will have a good and expert surprising season.

Football is a team sport. not an individual one, LT's numbers prove that, Great numbers by one person
but as a team not much to show for it. If the threesome of LT, Brees, and Gates can perform like they did yesterday good things will come, The defense is still adjusting to the new scheme but it has looked better then I have seen in the past so far. GO BOLTS!!!!

SuperMatt
09-14-2004, 12:31 AM
You guys all got valid points. The facts are there, i wont deny those. Agreed Drew did have a good game. But with a flash of last year if i may. If he can maintain this level of play all year, I will jump back on his bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I saw some kickarse improvements in his game. Like that pass to Parker looking off the linebacker and safety. The key is can he keep it up. I just don't want you guys getting all hyped up on him over 1 game. Then get the door slammed in our faces the rest of the season. I was a huge Brees fan his 1st year. But with his inconsistancy, has turned me off.

Fair 'nuff :-)

goSDgo
09-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Optout- you're wrong on one stat. Brees is 1-0

How can you blame him for the team the chargers were last year, even if he was the QB. That was a totally different team, different year, different Drew.

Yes, different Drew. He's older, wiser to his mistakes, and playing with a different fire inside. Maybe he's gone in a few weeks, maybe not. But while he's here I just hope he plays as well as he did Sunday. Go Drew, and GO BOLTS!!!

Rip
09-14-2004, 03:11 AM
Drew had a great game on sunday, but i think he will do even better against the Jets, who the hell are their corners?? Donnie Abraham and David Barrett?hahahah Safties?? Reggie Tongue and Jon Mcgraw, they are kidding right? I think the only guys on their D i would be scared off are John Abraham, Shaun Ellis and John Vilmna. After that, they are all pretty weak.

I want to see the Toniu Fonoti/Dwayne Robertson battle, that is going to be a fun one for us bolt fans!

Sandolf
09-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
This sounds like another Canadian that's crazy about Flutie and thinks Doug will be starting again if only that pesky Brees went away. [/quote]

Did I hear somebody calling me?

ps... Drew was alright... I figure he was 10-10 on swing passes (one of which LT broke for a long gainer which certainly helps the qb rating)... and 7-14 more than ten yards downfield. Brees was inaccurate with the long passes and throw in a couple of turnovers and he is STILL the same guy as last year.

Sandolf
09-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by: RMANCIL

You´re dreaming.

geekster
09-18-2004, 07:04 PM
The key point is Brees didn't lose the game trying to win it all by himself. He has matured as a QB and should do fine - and at his present level, (now that he *has* developed), could start for about one-third the teams in the league, possibly even half if he were given a fair chance to compete for the job.

dgjock
09-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by: geekster
The key point is Brees didn't lose the game trying to win it all by himself. He has matured as a QB and should do fine - and at his present level, (now that he *has* developed), could start for about one-third the teams in the league, possibly even half if he were given a fair chance to compete for the job.

I agree. Although I am bit concerned what will happen when Marty start breathing on his neck and keep giuving pressure to Drew.

BIGRICK
09-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Its about time someone looks at the facts. Yes we won our first game. But they arent exactly conteders. Lets see what the next few weeks bring befor we judge. Brees still has lots to prove. Flutie should still be our starter and Rivers is our future. GO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!

Chargeroo
09-18-2004, 08:14 PM
What has Flutie done to make you say he should be our starter? He played in one pre-season game against the third and fourth string, is that what makes you say that? Or is it because he's younger this year? Brees had a decent pre-season and a decent first game so why do you think Flutie should be the starter? It makes more sense to me to start any of the other three QB's ahead of Flutie.