PDA

View Full Version : Im glad AM690 is going off the air. Raider and Kobe homers

bluehair
09-13-2004, 10:52 AM
690 is changing formats in a few weeks and im kinda glad. the old 690 was great but then they became an ALL LA station and once again LA proves it cant sustain a sports company or team. 690 would like Kobe;s butt all day long on the air and they were a Raiders station. good riddance!

madflabby
09-13-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't know who I hate more, Hacksaw or Nick th Brick, probably the Nick. Faiders fans, feeling YOU (from behind, in the shower)

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 11:07 AM
At some point, Clear Channel forgot (or never knew) that it was San Diego that made XTRA 690 what it was. In some ways, it sucks the way things went down, because I still believe 690 did a great job of hyping up the Bolts when they were the Charger flagship station. BUT...after they lost the Chargers the entire station (except for Coach Kentera and Scott and BR) started acting like butt-hurt five-year-olds. When they moved to L.A. and Lynch started Mighty 1090, I knew the writing was on the wall for 690.

SDRaiderH8er
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
HEY LEE

SHOW ME YOUR PINK SLIP

HBBoltFan
09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Actually I think it was FCC rules about market saturation that made Clear Channel do the stupid 'super station' thing in the first place and for the pointless prestige of it made the combined stations LA based. But doing that combined with 1090 coming on air doomed 690 in SD and with that a large portion of the listeners of the two stations. Even here in OC many switched to 1090 over 690 (broadcasting Ducks games helped there). It is sad because 690 at one time did a great job of providing SD and SoCal with good sports radio.

SDRaiderH8er
09-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by: HBBoltFan
Actually I think it was FCC rules about market saturation that made Clear Channel do the stupid 'super station' thing in the first place and for the pointless prestige of it made the combined stations LA based. But doing that combined with 1090 coming on air doomed 690 in SD and with that a large portion of the listeners of the two stations. Even here in OC many switched to 1090 over 690 (broadcasting Ducks games helped there). It is sad because 690 at one time did a great job of providing SD and SoCal with good sports radio.Jim Rome started down here, his time slot was after Hacksaw's, I would listen to him every chance I got.

BUT he grew to big, and so did his show, down here in San Diego we soon got the Tape Delayed Version,

NOT FOR ME.

I used to listen to hacksaw all the time, I would even call in on numerous occasions.

Then 690 lost its contract with the Chargers, and the bashing began.

NOT FOR ME

The only thing I like to listen to now is the "Lets talk Hookup"

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I really wish 1090 had picked up the Charger games instead of the Padre games. It would be awesome to have a real sports station hyping the Chargers. It probably matters more to me than a lot of fans because I drive a sales route for my job, so I listen to the radio constantly.

eurekafan
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Moving back to Ventura, what station carries the Charger games, 690 or 1090 or what?

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by: SDRaiderH8er
Jim Rome started down here, his time slot was after Hacksaw's, I would listen to him every chance I got.

BUT he grew to big, and so did his show, down here in San Diego we soon got the Tape Delayed Version,

NOT FOR ME.

I used to listen to hacksaw all the time, I would even call in on numerous occasions.

Then 690 lost its contract with the Chargers, and the bashing began.

NOT FOR ME

The only thing I like to listen to now is the "Lets talk Hookup"

Yeah, Rome got big. If he had stalled out in San Diego, he wouldn't have gone anywhere, so San Diego/OC made him. Once Rome got to the point where he thought he was bigger than the athletes he was interviewing, it turned me off.

Hacksaw got old for me even before he started bashing the Chargers. He comes off like he's on the same script every day, and his "this just in off the sports wire" thing was laughable. His inside rumors turned out to be wrong about 99% of the time, and the ones that turned out to be right were the rumors everyone on earth knew were true. He would play prerecorded interviews as if they were live. He was always overrated in my opinion, but at least he took a lot of calls. That was his one redeeming quality.

Now, and for eternity, Hacksaw will always be a hideous mug with a bad rug crying his eyes out because the Chargers took away his favorite toy.

HBBoltFan
09-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by: eurekafan
Moving back to Ventura, what station carries the Charger games, 690 or 1090 or what?
I guess you would have to say 'Or what'. It is 760 and I don't know if you can hear it up there. If that is the case I feel for you. You get the LA choice of games on TV also I think. That would be a fair bit of the faiders.

SDRaiderH8er
09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Is there a link for all of this? I cant seem to find anything on this

madflabby
09-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I'll bet anything that the Chargers move to 1090 as soon as their contract is up.

SDRaiderH8er
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by: madflabby
I'll bet anything that the Chargers move to 1090 as soon as their contract is up.
1090 is the flag ship for the Padres, I do not see that happening,

Would they drop a Padre game for a Charger Game?

bluehair
09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20040910-9999-1s10media.html

scroll down to the XTRA Switch part.

and BTW id rather have Hacksaw calling the games. his voice just sounds like a football announcer unlike the former lightner and the guy we have now.

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Here's the relevent part of that story:

XTRA switch?
With the possible exception of Jim Rome and Lee Hamilton, XTRA-AM (690) is no longer much of a factor in San Diego radio, but it's still newsworthy that the station appears to be going out of the all-sports business.
In fact, while nothing has been announced (program director Don Martin was unavailable for comment), the smart money is that it's more a matter of "when" than "if" the sports format will switch off 690. And the when could be in the next 1-3 weeks.

Where it will go has yet to be determined, but the most likely home is KLAC-570, the Lakers' flagship. (The 690 signal would be used for a music format.)

The really interesting part will be to see what impact this has on Hamilton, the voice of XTRA for nearly two decades. His contract expires at the end of the year and he said yesterday there has been no discussion of a new deal, although station officials have told him they'd like to talk.

SDRaiderH8er
09-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by: bluehair
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20040910-9999-1s10media.html
">http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20040910-9999-1s10media.html
</a>

scroll down to the XTRA Switch part.

and BTW id rather have Hacksaw calling the games. his voice just sounds like a football announcer unlike the former lightner and the guy we have now.

Thank you

madflabby
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
760am used to be both Padres/CHargers

Chargers get priority because there are only 16 games, if Padres/Chargers are playing @ the same time 1090 will buy another alternate station, that's what 760 did.

Thunderstruck
09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
760am used to be both Padres/CHargers

Chargers get priority because there are only 16 games, if Padres/Chargers are playing @ the same time 1090 will buy another alternate station, that's what 760 did.

I think the hitch is money. It costs a lot of money to buy the rights to broadcast a pro team. It wouldn't surprise me if Lynch would take the risk if the Chargers show marked improvement this year. But if the Chargers continue to suck, it's probably too much of a financial risk for a relatively new station.

locobolt
09-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't know who I hate more, Hacksaw or Nick th Brick, probably the Nick. Faiders fans, feeling YOU (from behind, in the shower)

His name is actually Vic "The Brick" Jacobs and has been on LA radio and TV for a very long time. Just joined the Loose Canons about a year ago. And he is incredibly annoying - and I'm an LA area radio listener and Charger fan.

I was sad when 690 and 1150 were merged because I enjoyed Scott and BR, The Loose Canons of Steve and Philly Billy, and The Coach, etc. But I was glad when 1090 came on the air. I listen to Scott and BR every morning on my way to work but unfortunately the signal is not as strong as 690 here in the LA area (I have picked up 690 all the way to Bakersfield!).

The 1150/690 combo is indeed an LA station. Traffic reports and local news are all LA and there is indeed a lot of LA themed talk (although there are a lot of Laker fans in SD) on the signals which is a bummer for SD. So I can see why 690 is dying the way it is. Good thing for the Mighty 1090.

Sal Garcia
Pico Rivera, California
Go Chargers!

geekster
09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Have to admit it - after getting a bit frustrated with the TV announcers I muted them and fired up AM760 - sure enough there was Hank Bower to keep things rolling. (He does a swell job and yeah - he's a homer, but a "critical homer" that speaks up when there is a screw-up - after being both a player and a coach for the Chargers he just isn't forgetting where he came from). It was actually pretty good coverage of the game on the radio for once.

GoldPlatedNails
09-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I don't even listen to 690 once 1090 came on there (sans an occasion Rome day). Hacksaw is horrible with his BS, although I did enjoy him calling the Charger games back in the day. Maybe cuz they won more back in those days.

geekster
09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by: GoldPlatedNails
I don't even listen to 690 once 1090 came on there (sans an occasion Rome day). Hacksaw is horrible with his BS, although I did enjoy him calling the Charger games back in the day. Maybe cuz they won more back in those days.

Wore BLACK? You must have been watching the Aztecs...

Bobo
04-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Wore BLACK? You must have been watching the Aztecs...
It dosen't say "Wore Black" anywhere on that post. Anyway, Hacksaw SUCKS!!!!

geekster
04-24-2005, 12:47 AM
It dosen't say "Wore Black" anywhere on that post. Anyway, Hacksaw SUCKS!!!!
Gee - I must see almost as well as smacksaw? :o

Bobo
04-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Gee - I must see almost as well as smacksaw? :o
Haha! I doubt that, I just pointed out a slight error. Anyway, Smacksaw SUCKS!!!!

SDChargeHer
04-24-2005, 01:52 AM
Encinitas Show me Your Lightning Bolt!