PDA

View Full Version : 2 Picks in the 1st round next year

cxmsklls
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
We have 2 pick in the 1st round next year and I would love that middle linebacker from the aztecs we need that hes the real deal and he will go in the 1st round and in the 3-4 its scary what that guycan do I know we need a o-linemen and a wr but a stud Linebacker is not easy to find i want to know what people think

Thunderstruck
09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by: cxmsklls
We have 2 pick in the 1st round next year and I would love that middle linebacker from the aztecs we need that hes the real deal and he will go in the 1st round and in the 3-4 its scary what that guycan do I know we need a o-linemen and a wr but a stud Linebacker is not easy to find i want to know what people think

It seems that while Morrison is an excellent, instinctive middle-linebacker, he probably won't clock very fast at the combines. According to scouts, he barely broke 4.8 in the 40 during spring workouts. If he has another excellent season and can knock about .15 off his 40 time at the combines, he'll probably be a 2nd rounder (maybe as early as late-first.) If he still clocks in the 4.8 range, he'll likely fall to 3rd or 4th round, where I think he would be a steal.

BehindBlueEyes3
09-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Is the second first round from the Giants, I forgot.

cxmsklls
09-14-2004, 03:15 PM
yes it is and even though i agree with what my other bolt brother about morrison 40 time maaan!!!! its more then that its more than ho fast you run the 40 and how high you can jump especially as a middle linebacker theres no test for the instinct that morrison has to find the ball and boy can hit!!! how many flops are there in the draft because scouts focus to much on the numbers and not on the type of player

geekster
09-14-2004, 03:19 PM
We need an offensive lineman and a relief Nose Tackle for next year a heck of a lot more than we need linebackers. As much as I like Morrison, I hope those 1st round draft choices are spent to fill team needs. (Wide receiver?)....

foober
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
In case people aren't aware. We are stocked with some pretty good linebackers.

We need a super left tackle. THats a given. And the other player. Well. It depends who's there. But we do need another Igor/jammall type dominating d-lineman. That would make the defense that much better. Got to have the big guys. Got to. To make it all work.

Personally if with the second pick after getting the super left tackle type with the first pick. If another super tackle type is still on the board. I'd even think of taking him. Can you imagine a very good o-line for Rivers and ladanian for the next 5 years. The charger offense would rule. We've got the recievers now. BUt we need that great o-line to really put the pedal to the medal.

But the defense has to be built so its very good. And we still need 1 more super d-tackle/large d-end type to really make it very solid.

Chargeroo
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I agree with foober on the need for a left tackle, maybe even a pair. A great NT or a great pass rushing DE would be nice too. Perhaps a great WR? Although, Caldwell and Parker looked pretty good this week. Maybe we should draft another QB - some people say we can never have too many QB's!

Threadkiller
09-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I think WR is a bigger need than defensive line. Mike Williams would look good in lightning bolts.

foober
09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Actually we've got some pretty good wr's now. Parker, Oz, CAldwell, and in the wings. Floyd. The point is. YOu give our qb time to throw and the wr's we have now look pretty good all of a sudden. As evidenced by last weekends game.

Even with a so called star wr. If the chargers qb doesn't have the time. The play is not going to work. As evidenced by last year.

foober
09-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Roo, your going to have to keep an eye on nagata over there at Oregon this year. He'd be the perfect fit on the d-line. But are his prevalent injury problems over with.

Chargeroo
09-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by: foober
Roo, your going to have to keep an eye on nagata over there at Oregon this year. He'd be the perfect fit on the d-line. But are his prevalent injury problems over with.

He's sure a great prospect but we need to see if he can stay healthy - that's the key to the future for him. He's strong like a gorilla - he does things that are unbelievable. By the way, it's Ngata - only two A's.

tarballed
09-14-2004, 04:06 PM
I would hope with all the cap space the Bolts have next year, that they go after a position of dire need:

WR, OL or DL

Any of those filled via FA, we can then address the other two by the draft.

Time will tell though.

Tarballed

cxmsklls
09-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Kirk Morrison Mark my words Hes the truth tackle yes we need dt yes we need wr yes we need but morrison is........ahhhh forget it you will see

foober
09-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Roo, thanks for the correction. Man i'd hate for his family to find out I'm misspelling the name.

What we need d-line wise is another IGOR. A guick footed monster for the other bookend. That could also sub as nose tackle for jamall. Though Fisk is doing pretty good now. And the nebraska kid will be back hopefully this year. The whole 3/4 defense depends on the 3 d-lineman to take up offensive blockers. The more guys we have on the d-line that can hold their own against the run and need to be double teamed the better the linebackers will do. The linebackers are actually the ones to make most of the plays on the 3/4 defense. But they're only as good as the d-lineman in front taking care of the o-blockers.

GoldPlatedNails
09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Left Tackle in RD1 - Right Tackle in RD2.

The other RD1 pick use on the best available Defensive Playmaker avaialable. Be it Secondary, Linebacker, or D Line. Preferably a Ray Lewis, Urlacker, Julian Perterson type linebacker. Just somebody who can run and hit.

Get a wide reciever, d lineman, and O guard via free agency.

RMANCIL
09-14-2004, 04:13 PM
If the Bolts take a couple of playmakers I will be happy as long as it isn't at QB.
Looks like several OL are on the table and perhaps a LB or two.

The WR group may be thin this year unless a couple sneak up the board.

foober
09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Alot is going to depend on just how good Floyd is. If he's a good one theres no reason to get another wr.

I kind of like the idea of the chargers qb having a very good o-line so he has all day to survey who he wants to throw to.

And I kind of like the idea of the chargers d-line making it possible for the linebackers to kill the other teams qb and running back.

SuperMatt
09-14-2004, 05:50 PM
I think the 1st pick we need to get a stud RB and the second a stud TE. That's where this Chargers team is the weakest. ;-)

I'd like to see them take the two best players available. I'd hope one is a WR and one is a lineman (offense or defense). If Morrison is still there round 2, snap him up!

rupn
09-14-2004, 06:43 PM
1.MARK CLAYTON WR 5-11 180 OKLAHOMA
2.KIRK MORRISON LB 6-3 240 SAN DIEGO STATE

BigHigsBolts
09-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Definitely need a playmaker at wr(Mike Williams) with the first pick, and either LB or CB with the other. My personal preferences at those two positions would be Pollack from Georgia and Antrelle Rolle from U of M. I think our O-line will mesh as this year wears on and we can pick up depth for the O and D-lines in later rounds, similar to what we did in this years draft.

ElectricChair
09-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by: cxmsklls

Punctuation is a beautiful thing.

IgorUnchained
09-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Obviously we should be looking for WR, OL and probably a good young brick 5hit house of a NT to back Fisk up.
I do agree as well that we should not pass up a playmaker on defense at other positions though. Watch Sean Taylor this year and for years to come with the Redskins and remember how many times people have said that Safety is an expendable position, and how you can get a good safety in the 5th round. WHile that can be true... you will see that an explosive, soft handed safety is quite a "luxury" to have. If that LB from the Aztecs is as good as you folks think than he should be another one not to be passed up. Some home town boys, big hitters, field stretching WRs, might be the kind of thing that puts some butts in the seats too.... which would keep the Chargers in Diego and get the games televised...Everyone Wins!!

WrayLaw
09-15-2004, 12:32 AM
* OT

* DT / DE

* WR

All three areas must be addressed in the off season. Because the upcoming draft is said to be very deep in quality OT's, there's an excellent chance that A.J. can nab his man with one of those two 1st round picks, even after trading down.

I'd love to see the Bolts get a Rashaan Woods-type guy, another Igor for the D-line, and stud OT, and I don't thinks that's terribly unrealistic to think A.J. can pull it off, considering the picks he'll have at his disposal.

AlBundy
09-15-2004, 01:17 AM
It will be interesting to see where we are with the salary cap. We have HUGE money in LT and Rivers. We have a lot of needs though I agree that a play maker at WR would help. We also need O line and D line!!! Protect and Pressure the QB! Trade down and stockpile picks. Love him or hate him, it worked for Bethard.

goSDgo
09-15-2004, 03:20 AM
I would like to see maybe big Mike Williams. I think he would be a great book end with Kasim. They are both tall wide receivers and I see great things in osgoods future.

Then maybe another Rodney Harrison type in the secondary. We need someone who intemidates(sp) and that can flat out knock people out.

RMANCIL
09-15-2004, 03:52 AM
At this point on defense a NG , MLB and FS seem to be the biggest needs.The MLB were pushed around a lot last Sunday. Godfree with his size was a bit of a shock, Edwards may be out of position in this defense.

Wilson got the pick and a turn over but he was very poor in run support.

AlBundy Beathard stock piling picks????

Have you suffered any blows to the head lately? Sudden memory loss or dizzy spells?

If so you should seek medical help and remember to always take your vitamins

Fossil
09-15-2004, 07:17 AM
AJ should be able to draft and sign two 1st rounders without trading down if he wants to without worrying about salary cap problems. The way I understand it, we'll be save about $20 million next year in dead cap space, and should have a heck of a rookie pool allocation.
OG
NT
WR

goodcopy
09-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Use the 1st pick on the best player available no matter what position he playes then use the 2nd 1st round pick and draft for need-draft 101 fellow bolt heads

SDRaiderH8er
09-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I have been saying it for Years now, we need to address the Offensive Line with a First round pick. The other First round Pick, is going to be a toss up. And that is because where is it, who is still available, and we still need to see how this Season Plays out.

IF Williams is available.............

foty89
09-15-2004, 10:50 AM
It is very early to try to determine what to take next year. I was pretty happy with the O-line on Sunday. They still need work, but if they can continue to gel and improve, they may be a very good unit. We still may need help there, we will have to see. Certainly, depth is a need.

I was also pretty impressed with the receivers, they did well as a group. I am not sure we really need any help there, we will have to see how things go.

I was somewhat concerned with the play of the secondary and of the linebackers, but this did improve when they opened things up in the second half.

My big area of concern would have to be the D-line. There was little if any pressure for the most part from the front three. And running lanes seemed to always be open on Sunday. Now granted, we had some young players in there, but that needs to be a lot better than it was. A nice big powerful nose tackle would seem to be the biggest need on this team right now. As a unit, I think the D-line is the area most in need of improvement with the next draft and off season.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

dgjock
09-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Pick another QB, just in case Rivers is a bust i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif j/k
We need an Olineman and a WR. But I'm not gonna be very surprised if AJ trades one of the pick for more picks because the pick we got from the GIatns will be a high pick. AJ might trade that pick for a lower 1st rd pick and maybe couple more later rnd picks to address all the needs. Bewsides, we don't have to draft very high picks to find good players. THis past couple of years, CHargers has been getting a lot from their later round picks and UDFA.

godofthunder
09-15-2004, 12:33 PM
David Pollack is definitely a player who should be wearing some bolts next year.

Boltdiehard
09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Defensive line depth (NT) and O-Line depth (LT).

We can get a WR via free agency, especially if we have a decent year and it looks like this team is heading in the right direction.

BDH

SanDiegoRon
09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
lotsa opportunity for adding talent out there... for those interested, I've posted my take on this weekends college games/college prospects on the College Prospects forum, off the main menu... am interested in your feedback...

but as to the subject at hand, I'm still leaning toward the DL with both #1's - a NT and a DE... I am absolutely convinced we need to control the DL and get heat on the QB... I'm happy with Olshansky, Williams & Ball but it's not enough...

the OL is very deep in the draft with very good centers, guards, and most especially, A LOT of tackles... so, I'm good with picking up a couple in the later rounds... we're decent a LB, but if we could get Blackstock or Morrison in rd 2, I'd be jacked... but the DL is probably the thinest group of prospects this year, so a premium will have to be paid...

R.Wright and Kiwanuka or Canty...

NewOwnership
09-15-2004, 12:54 PM
WR, LOT, and FS with our first 3 picks.

OR

We can draft the top 2 QB's. Nothing like having as many as 4 QB's of the future.

dgjock
09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by: NewOwnership
We can draft the top 2 QB's. Nothing like having as many as 4 QB's of the future.

Imagine the trick and option plays we can call! O wait, Cam doesnt have the guts to call them. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Thunderstruck
09-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Hmm...still have 15 games (hopefully more) before we really know what the Bolts need. If the draft were today, I'd probably say LT and a stud WR. But we don't really have a good feel for who the top prospects are yet, and this team still has to reveal its true weaknesses before we'll really know for sure.

However...you could draft an offensive linemen in round one or two EVERY YEAR and I wouldn't complain.
Seems like it's been a looooooong time since we really made a concerted effort to address the o-line through the draft. Who was the last o-lineman we drafted in the first round? Jim Lachey? We drafted Vaughn Parker and Isaac Davis in round 2 a few years back...since then it's been Fonoti and only Fonoti, right?

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 02:26 PM
This thread really should be moved to the "College Prospects" section.

OL, DL, LB, WR, S - - - not necessarily in that order.

I know it's early, but I'm really hoping the Giants wind up with the overall #1, which puts us at the top again. Then trade down a couple times for the extra picks. Maybe we could set ourselves up with multiple #1's and #2's for both 2005 and 2006.

boltzman3
09-15-2004, 03:07 PM
YOU KNOW AJ AND SHOTTY ARE GOING TO TRade away the #1 and #2 PICKS WE HAVE.WE SHOULD CONCENTRATE ON WHO WOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THE LATE 1 st ROUND. AND EARLY SECOND.THERE SHOULD BE A BETTER OFFENSIVE PLAYER SELECTION NEXT YEAR. LOOK FOR A 1st ROUND PICK TO GET A LATE 1st ROUNDER AND AN EARLY SECOND ROUNDER/ WILLIAMS .WOULD BE THE DEEP THREAT .TRUE THREAT, IN THE WIDE OUT CORP.WE SO DESPERATLY NEED.

attila
09-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by: foober
Roo, thanks for the correction. Man i'd hate for his family to find out I'm misspelling the name.

What we need d-line wise is another IGOR. A guick footed monster for the other bookend. That could also sub as nose tackle for jamall. Though Fisk is doing pretty good now. And the nebraska kid will be back hopefully this year. The whole 3/4 defense depends on the 3 d-lineman to take up offensive blockers. The more guys we have on the d-line that can hold their own against the run and need to be double teamed the better the linebackers will do. The linebackers are actually the ones to make most of the plays on the 3/4 defense. But they're only as good as the d-lineman in front taking care of the o-blockers.

Foober, watch Rodrique Wright of Texasi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif. Very quick and suited for the DE in the 34, has great size and could end up at NT later in his career, only a Junior though (and those Texas guys love to stay in school).

I am on board with OL and DL right now. Kansas City has proven you can have the best offense in the NFL without standout WRs. What do they have? A very good QB (Rivers), a very good RB (LT), a very good TE (Gates) and a great OL(?). Seems if we put together that O-line, we could be in that same boat. You can get quality WRs in middle rounds and good second tier WRs in FA (like the Jets' McCarreins), now just use that other first to continue building on D, then we may have something special.