PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering?

TexasTechsan
09-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I was a huge Welker fan when he was in college...I just love his heart and the way he plays. Balls to the Walls every play. Unfortunatley we don't get much Chargers news in West Texas. I sure would like to hear how he is doing and what the true Bolt fans think of him, do you see him lasting, and anything else that may be interesting. Let me know.

Thanks
TexasTechsan

cxmsklls
09-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I think he a threat he can hit a long run at any time and he has alot of heart and i love that he made the tame he looked good i think he had a fumble in one of the pregames but other then that i hope he makes things happen

SDRaiderH8er
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Well if continues to play like he did in Texas, a place in which he owns the Texans Kicker, then he should do okay!

But right now, with him being a Rookie, its hard to judge ones play after only 1 game!

SuperMatt
09-14-2004, 05:45 PM
We are really excited about him based on his preseason performances. He didn't show too much week 1, but kick returners only have to take one or two back a year to be considered good, but I think very highly of the speed, vision and heart he has shown so far. :-)

Taktich
09-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Didn't show much in week 1? I'm sure Kris Brown could argue otherwise. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

SDchargersSTA
09-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Welker is a stud. He's not flashy like Dante Hall but he gets the job done and has shown he is reliable.

geekster
09-14-2004, 09:23 PM
In week 1 Wes had 4 returns for a 25.5 yd average which is pretty darn respectable for a Rook in his very first game. I saw a couple of missed blocks on teams or he could have ripped one off for a long gain. Cannot make much out of just one game but I believe he is one of those kids who is literally capable of going all the way any time he touches the ball.

We've got several players who can return kickoffs and punts - the fact that he made the team and is the lead K/O returner says volumes.

Chargeroo
09-14-2004, 09:31 PM
This thread reminds me, I've been meaning to ask - does anyone know why Parker was returning the punts in the second half? Was Welker nicked up in the first half?

Thunderstruck
09-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Somehow, I have a feeling Marty was real, real concerend about the punt returner making a mistake at that stage of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if Wes' refusal to fair catch in preseason makes it so Marty doesn't really trust him with the game on the line--at least not yet. Parker is more experienced and has proven he's reliable in that aspect of the game. Just a guess.

geekster
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
This thread reminds me, I've been meaning to ask - does anyone know why Parker was returning the punts in the second half? Was Welker nicked up in the first half?

If memory serves - they only punted twice - Parker returned one for about 13/14 yards and was interfered with on the other one (one of the stupidist plays I've seen on teams in a LONG time BTW).

If you check out the depth chart you will see the Parker is the No. 1 Punt Returner and Wes is the No. 1 K/O returner:
http://www.chargers.com/team/depth_chart_print.cfm

Thunderstruck
09-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by: geekster

Originally posted by: Chargeroo

If memory serves - they only punted twice - Parker returned one for about 13/14 yards and was interfered with on the other one (one of the stupidist plays I've seen on teams in a LONG time BTW).

If you check out the depth chart you will see the Parker is the No. 1 Punt Returner and Wes is the No. 1 K/O returner:

http://www.chargers.com/team/depth_chart_print.cfm

Ahh...

Marty said in preseason that Parker was his preferred punt-returner. Hopefully, it's only temporary. It still wouldn't surprise me if that decision has something to do with Welker's tendency to be really, really aggressive.