PDA

View Full Version : Chargers release Wes Welker

jeremyh
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Just heard it on the Charger press conference. They released him to acquire "Clinton Hart".

Clinton Hart is a Free Safety for the Eagles who started in 9 games last year while Dawkins was injured.

Threadkiller
09-15-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't want to see Eric Parker returning punts. He's too valuable as a reciever.

WyoBolt
09-15-2004, 04:41 PM
He was?? Seriously?

jeremyh
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, he was. Those of you who know me from the SignOn forums know I'm no BS artist. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Straight from Marty's mouth.

SuperCharger
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
You're killing me, Jer... Say it aint So. Not Fresh Wes..

If so, is this Clinton Hart guy any good?

jeremyh
09-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Info on Hart (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=321)

compubolt
09-15-2004, 04:45 PM
wow, I liked the kid, but I was very surprised he made is past the last cuts. Atleast he has some good video to show other teams. I hope he can find another home.

Triknique
09-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Wow, that came out of left field. Does this mean Parker will return punts full time. Kind of scary, especially since Dwingt is already nursing a sore hammy.

jeremyh
09-15-2004, 04:48 PM
It appears he was released yesterday by the Eagles to pick up either OT Ian Allen or RB Dorsey Levens (they also put OG Shawn Andrews on IR). So the Chargers were awarded him off the waiver wire.

Hmmmm.. curious he'd be released after starting 9 games last year..

rule12b
09-15-2004, 04:49 PM
That sucks. I'm not impressed but I'm sure they had their reasons. Welker had a big upside in my opinion.

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the update jeremyh.

I agree with TK on not abusing Parker as a returner. I would have released Leon Johnson off the PUP and kept Welker.

No question that we needed depth at safety. Anyone that has insight on Hart, please share.

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Hopefully they'll sign Welker to the practice squad.

Damn.

Boltron
09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I agree, someone else should have been canned, and they should have kept Welker.

PedroOFSD
09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by: Shamrock
Hopefully they'll sign Welker to the practice squad.

Damn.

The PS is full.... someone would have to be cut to make room for Welker.

BlueandGoldRush
09-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow, who could have anticipated that?

Is this Hart guy good enough to take Wilson's starting job? Wilson had a solid game against Houston, too...i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

geekster
09-15-2004, 04:56 PM
If this is true - I would expect Drayton Florence and Michael Turner to simply move up on the Depth Chart for KOR...

I *really* like Wes Welker and have a pretty good idea he won't clear waivers - but you never know.

-=dave=-

p.s. Anyone else notice that Clinton Hart is yet another basketball player?

Electron
09-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Can some please tell me how long a player must be on waivers before being picked back up and placed on the practice squad?

Thanks

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by: jeremyh
Info on Hart (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=321)

Thanks for the info link. I was typing while you were already digging for the information.

I think this guy is a major reach based on what the Philly bio provides. Nothing jumps off my memory banks regarding his brief experience with the Eagles.

rule12b
09-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Johnson should have gone. He's injured for goodness sake. He is good, but we have other equally attractive options. Releasing Welker was a mistake. Watch the Raiders sign him and make us pay.

geekster
09-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by: BlueandGoldCrush
Wow, who could have anticipated that?

Is this Hart guy good enough to take Wilson's starting job? Wilson had a solid game against Houston, too...i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Wilson had a GREAT game (for him) against the Texans - but did you look at Marty's reaction to that 15 yard penalty he also generated?

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 05:02 PM
That's a good read. Hart really took the round-a-bout way to the NFL.

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I tell ya what, I do not like this move at all unless there is something wrong with Welker and the Chargers are keeping hush hush for the sake of legalities. i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

BlueandGoldRush
09-15-2004, 05:06 PM
LINK (http://www.pennlive.com/eagles/expresstimes/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1092906323166490.xml)
Here's another little article about him from last month.

Thunderstruck
09-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Wow! I'm surprised by this one. It looked to me like Welker had talent.

This Hart guy better be pretty good.

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Until they opened up the roof at Reliant Stadium, all my photos were junk. I know this is blurry, but for you Welker fans, it might be one of the few in a Bolts uniform you see. Welker was preparing to return a kickoff right in front of us in this photo.

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/8062/Welker.jpg

StevenSylvester
09-15-2004, 05:13 PM
The Chargers are lucky to get Hart. Just look at his bio stuff.

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Expanded view of same photo .....

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/4060/Welkerresized.jpg

robanalog
09-15-2004, 05:15 PM
just when you think our raid on pass defense has ended. we get one more and let go of our KR/PR and #5(?) WR? Doesn't make sense unless we are looking to trade Fletcher/ maybe Florence?. Wow, WR are a very weak spot now...If injuries become a factor for these guys (Dwight, Parker, Caldwell). How many games have they missed the past 2-3 yrs? We could be in BIG time dookie. Osgood will be our #1 by the end of the year.

Chargeroo
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
They should have released Johnson. I can't believe they prefer the lumbering Johnson over Wes Welker. Dumb move Marty - it reminds me of the Vanover fiasco.

goretek
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
First they release a very serviceable and good safety in Lassiter. Then they release Welker who has the most talent for returning punts and kickoffs so they can hire another teams scrub safety?

I don't like the move.

joelbolt
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=1862

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by: geekster
If this is true - I would expect Drayton Florence and Michael Turner to simply move up on the Depth Chart for KOR...
I *really* like Wes Welker and have a pretty good idea he won't clear waivers - but you never know.
-=dave=-

p.s. Anyone else notice that Clinton Hart is yet another basketball player?

Hart is a former college <u>baseball pitcher</u> at Central Florida Community College...not basketball.

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by: StevenSylvester
The Chargers are lucky to get Hart. Just look at his bio stuff.

What exactlly impresses you and leads you to conclude that the Chargers were lucky to sign Hart?

BlueandGoldRush
09-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Foober, the link that Joelbolt posted states that he was released...

foober
09-15-2004, 05:32 PM
thanks, got it. geez. I thought welker was a good addition.

Electron
Originally posted by: robanalog
just when you think our raid on pass defense has ended. we get one more and let go of our KR/PR and #5(?) WR? Doesn't make sense unless we are looking to trade Fletcher/ maybe Florence?. Wow, WR are a very weak spot now...If injuries become a factor for these guys (Dwight, Parker, Caldwell). How many games have they missed the past 2-3 yrs? We could be in BIG time dookie. Osgood will be our #1 by the end of the year.

Maybe Floyd is coming around. He was really impressing people before his injury in mini camp. If we are really lucky Welker will slip through waivers and will be picked up on the PS.

Drayton is a good return man so I really see no problems there. It's just a bummer because it's always nice to see the UDFA make it in this league. And Welker was the UDFA I was backing this year.

jeremyh
Originally posted by: foober
just where did you see that walker was released. All I see on chargers.com is haw is on the practice squad.

I heard it live, they held a press conference. That's when I posted it. Now there's a chargers.com link above confirming it.

Cmon foobs, have I ever posted erroneous info before? I'm not that way and you know it.

Boltjolt
09-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by: HOSSman
Thanks for the update jeremyh.

I agree with TK on not abusing Parker as a returner. I would have released Leon Johnson off the PUP and kept Welker.

No question that we needed depth at safety. Anyone that has insight on Hart, please share.

I agree with this. I dont know why they keep Leon Johnson.

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
According to the release from the Chargers, Hart started nine games for the Philadelphia Eagles totaling 46 tackles, five passes defensed and one sack last season.....yet according to the bio information on the Eagles web site Hart made 61 tackles in 9 starts.

This is starting to sound like a CBS news story.

robanalog
09-15-2004, 05:35 PM
This move sucks but I feel a bit more confidence in AJ so that it's not so bad. If we get a lights out free safety, it's worth losing "Tim Dwight the sequel". If we can get better at pass defense our Dline and LB's have a good chance of shutting down the run. We just have to figure out what we can do with returning punts.

Boltdiehard
09-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Martyball strikes again......

BDH

sanluischargerfan
09-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
They should have released Johnson. I can't believe they prefer the lumbering Johnson over Wes Welker. Dumb move Marty - it reminds me of the Vanover fiasco.

I agree Roo. This is a bad move!

Gerry123456
stupidest move
whos going to return kicks leon johnson
that guy sucks

jeremyh
That second story above is interesting. With Dawkins criticizing Hart openly, maybe it turned into a team chemistry thing and that's why he got his walking papers.

One can hope, anyway.

Shamrock
09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Cmon foobs, have I ever posted erroneous info before? I'm not that way and you know it.
jeremyh,

Anything you post is taken as GOLD with the regulars. foobs was just looking for confirmation.

Chargeroo
09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by: HOSSman
According to the release from the Chargers, Hart started nine games for the Philadelphia Eagles totaling 46 tackles, five passes defensed and one sack last season.....yet according to the bio information on the Eagles web site Hart made 61 tackles in 9 starts.

This is starting to sound like a CBS news story. Maybe Canepa and Prisco are responsible for these stories?

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

spysnipedis
09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
well, they did this move for a reason. that reason had to be good enough for them to release welker. everyone stop complaining about whos going to return kick offs and stuff like that. they prolly have it figured out. this could be a good thing or a bad thing. and if chargers lose on sunday to jets, you guys better not say it because they released welker.

optout
09-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Wow, im sure we could of found someone else to release, Wes Walker got the starting job for kickoff returns and punt returns for a reason. Now we just drop him like we did not need him? I wonder what the motive behind this move is other then Hart is a decent saftey and great all around guy.

Chargeroo
09-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis
well, they did this move for a reason. that reason had to be good enough for them to release welker. everyone stop complaining about whos going to return kick offs and stuff like that. they prolly have it figured out. this could be a good thing or a bad thing. and if chargers lose on sunday to jets, you guys better not say it because they released welker. I missed the funeral. Who died and made this dude boss? Hey kid, this is a forum - you know, for people to say what they think about things. We like Welker more than Johnson. i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

thehotdelancey
09-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah I liked welker a lot. I was a big fan. All I know is that this just screams trade bait to me. I have a feeling that theyre gearing up for a trade sooner or later.

HOSSman
09-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Maybe Canepa and Prisco are responsible for these stories?

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Damn Kerry operatives. i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

Electron
09-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by: sanluischargerfan

I'm kind of confused on how this would work. Since Johnson is on the PUP list where would a spot be freed up?

Chargers are very thin at safety the two on the practice squad are raw, Floyd maybe stepping up, Drayton can handle returns and Welker may not be able to contribute to all aspects of special teams.

This new kid has plenty of special teams experience and is a better back up at safety than what we currently have. And if the gods smile on us we may get Welker signed to the PS and have everything.

Thunderstruck
09-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Sure is a good thing we have four QBs, eh?

geekster
09-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by: Electron

I'm kind of confused on how this would work. Since Johnson is on the PUP list where would a spot be freed up?
Chargers are very thin at safety the two on the practice squad are raw, Floyd maybe stepping up, Drayton can handle returns and Welker may not be able to contribute to all aspects of special teams.
This new kid has plenty of special teams experience and is a better back up at safety than what we currently have. And if the gods smile on us we may get Welker signed to the PS and have everything.

I'm also a bit confused over this one - but out of curiosity - who would you release off of the PS to make room for Wes?

mrintensity
09-15-2004, 05:58 PM
The loss of Welker will come back to haunt us gauranteed. The man has a lot of heart and has great vision. I hope that we resign him before someone in our division does.

Electron
09-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Geekster,

This is a tough call, and remember I am not the best guy to make this decision. The most logical choice would be one of the safeties we have currently on the practice squad (Pippens or Butler). Which one I don't know. The other possibility would be Pollard the DE since we are fairly deep at DE. This is JMO.

Electron

foober
09-15-2004, 06:14 PM
jeremyh, I didn't mean to doubt you. its just I couldn't find any info. about welker being released till joelbolt posted that.

geekster
09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Geekster,
This is a tough call, and remember I am not the best guy to make this decision. The most logical choice would be one of the safeties we have currently on the practice squad (Pippens or Butler). Which one I don't know. The other possibility would be Pollard the DE since we are fairly deep at DE. This is JMO.
Electron

Well Electron - that is probably a good call on your part. As we increase depth at any position on the active roster - the need diminishes on the PS I guess. Both Pippens and Butler are potential Studs - but both are still "projects" - so you are probably right.

I'm still pretty confused by this move - but the team scouts on the staff are pretty darn good. They were dead on target with our two Linebackers....

WARHAWKS
09-15-2004, 06:32 PM
i hate idea of release of Wes Welker.....he have talent but he even rookie! may be it takes few years so he can even better than Dante Hall....you know?

WARHAWKS
09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
i wonder who will sign Wes Welker? Chargers...i hope so

jeremyh
09-15-2004, 06:34 PM

Anything you post is taken as GOLD with the regulars. foobs was just looking for confirmation.

Too kind, Sham. I'd prefer it to be taken as Blue and Gold!

GO CHARGERS!!

(ps. I liked Welker too. Makes me sad i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif That preseason 80 yard TD where he ran for about 150 yards was priceless. We better get a good QB trade for carrying 4)

Foober - I hear ya, it's cool. I couldn't believe my ears and when I posted it I was thinking "man, people are going to be doubting this it's such a surprise." It was only by chance luck that I happened to hear the press conf.

It could be that this is a way to improve thr special teams' coverage unit, which stunk last week and would only get worse with teams like KC.

WARHAWKS
09-15-2004, 06:39 PM
i think we should drop Johnson cause he have couples horrible injuires that put him out for like weeks.

H60Driver
09-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Why, why, why??? It seemed to me that Wes was a Sparkplug that was capable of anything when he got his hands on the ball!!!!!

Electron
09-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by: geekster

Geekster,

Electron

Well Electron - that is probably a good call on your part. As we increase depth at any position on the active roster - the need diminishes on the PS I guess. Both Pippens and Butler are potential Studs - but both are still "projects" - so you are probably right.

I'm still pretty confused by this move - but the team scouts on the staff are pretty darn good. They were dead on target with our two Linebackers....

Well it kind of makes sense, just a little bit I guess. The FO had some reason to believe that we needed an upgrade at safety. So now we have a guy that is seemingly an upgrade at safety and has special teams ability.

Now we have to release a player. We have 6 WRs on the active squad and one on PS. The deepest position on the squad. So who do we release? Welker was pretty deep on the depth charts at wide receiver. He was the starting KO return guy but was he also contributing in the other 3 aspects. Kick off team, punt team and punt return team. The other question is Drayton that much of a drop off at kick off return than Welker?

Edit: Sorry, I miss spoke. QB would be the deepest position on the squad.

WVBOLTFAN
09-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Another dumb move!!! When will they learn??

Thunderstruck
09-15-2004, 06:46 PM
This to me is a vote of no-confidence for Wilson. Still...why Welker? I don't get it. When you've got 4 QB's taking up space on your roster....grrr!

Chargeroo
09-15-2004, 06:51 PM
They only have three Safeties on the roster so I'm not surprised to find them looking around for another Safety, but I sure think it was wrong to keep Johnson and release Welker.

bobbledick
09-15-2004, 06:54 PM
That sucks! I thought that Wes kid had a lot of potential. Who the hell is this Hart guy and whats wrong with the safety we have now. Is Hart better than Wilson. Whats Marty's direct line? We need to talk.

geekster
09-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Well it kind of makes sense, just a little bit I guess. The FO had some reason to believe that we needed an upgrade at safety. So now we have a guy that is seemingly an upgrade at safety and has special teams ability.

Now we have to release a player. We have 6 WRs on the active squad and one on PS. The deepest position on the squad. So who do we release? Welker was pretty deep on the depth charts at wide receiver. He was the starting KO return guy but was he also contributing in the other 3 aspects. Kick off team, punt team and punt return team. The other question is Drayton that much of a drop off at kick off return than Welker?

OK - I guess it is starting to make some sort of sense if I step outside how much I simply *like* the kid. Florence isn't that much of a drop-off - but he is our nickle and I don't like to think of him getting hurt on teams. Don't know how Tim has been progressing with that hammie, but if he's nearing 100% we could see him returning kickoffs again too.

I've also had the opportunity to look into the new guy - guess he is also pretty good on "teams" and thats how he finally worked his way up to being Dawkins backup, (kinda like Rodney did with the Bolts).

Well - let's hope Wes makes it through waivers.

-=dave=-

JonSD
09-15-2004, 07:05 PM
They only have three Safeties on the roster

I can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to say this... This was a good move that had to be made. If you look at the depth chart Hannik was the backup for both the FS and SS positions. What if he went down on a special teams or run def play? Maybe they'd experiment with with D.Flo at FS, but I'm much more comfortable with him as a PR/KR than at FS.

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 07:07 PM
I would have no problem putting D-Flo at safety. That is the easiest transition for a corner to make. D-Flo has skills but is raw. This guys needs to be on the field more. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

geekster
09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by: TrumpetDude
I would have no problem putting D-Flo at safety. That is the easiest transition for a corner to make. D-Flo has skills but is raw. This guys needs to be on the field more. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Then who ya gonna put in for a nickle? Fletcher?

I like Florence right where he is at.

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 07:16 PM
I like Fletch in the nickle....but I like D-Flo's range as a center fielder for the team at Free Safety. Our Free position is horrendous right now. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Electron
09-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I like Fletch in the nickle....but I like D-Flo's range as a center fielder for the team at Free Safety. Our Free position is horrendous right now. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Hey Trumpet, you were one of the guys at the game so you could see the whole field and how the plays developed. Was Wilson really that bad at FS? This could be the answer to the Why the heII the Chargers made this move.

HBBoltFan
09-15-2004, 07:23 PM
It's sad to see Welker released and hopefully he gets signed to the PS. That being said it doesn't suprise me because DFlo can do the kick returns and Dwight (if healthy) can do punts. One of my questions during the last game was, why wasn't Wes doing punt returns? I think it was a numbers game. AJ/Marty like Welker and probably would have kept him if there was a sure #1 and #2 WR. With keeping 4 QBs, 6 WRs and just 3 safeties it made it harder to justify keeping him

I think I understand the decision but it will be sad to think that he probably will be playing for another team soon.

GoldPlatedNails
09-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by: JonSD

I can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to say this... This was a good move that had to be made. If you look at the depth chart Hannik was the backup for both the FS and SS positions. What if he went down on a special teams or run def play? Maybe they'd experiment with with D.Flo at FS, but I'm much more comfortable with him as a PR/KR than at FS.

Ahh, then if we needed a safety why not release a linebacker instead of our kick returner. We have 9 effing linebackers on the roster...Or how about a QB, got 4 of those.

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Not only at the game in Houston but in preseason and whenever he takes the field. This dude should not be on the same field as professional football players. I do not think very highly of Jerry Wilson or his game whatsoever. None of our Free Safeties are worth a damn and this is a glaring sore spot. The D-Line is even in worse shape after Jamal and Igor - we have no animals on the D-Line. We need help here bad - real bad. You have to believe A.J. and Buddy Nix are up to their wizardry behind the scenes. Dude, I can feel it in my BOLT bones man !!!i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by: GoldPlatedNails

Originally posted by: JonSD

Ahh, then if we needed a safety why not release a linebacker instead of our kick returner. We have 9 effing linebackers on the roster...Or how about a QB, got 4 of those.

We need to stay deep at the LB position due to the 3-4 defense. We need to be LB heavy with this system as these boys are going to get burned up real quick. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

GoldPlatedNails
09-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I hear ya trumpet, but 9? I mean that is more then 1 back up per guy. And many of the linebackers can play different positions amongst them. I mean that is 17% of our roster. We could stand to lose 1 for our kick returner I would think. Perhaps Dwight or the Burner will show me something this Sunday and change my mind.

Electron
09-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Considering that there are 4 positions at LB and LB is a heavy contact position, 9 seem pretty reasonably. Since the secondary has been the soft under belly of our defense of late. This seems like a good move.

attila
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
They only have three Safeties on the roster so I'm not surprised to find them looking around for another Safety, but I sure think it was wrong to keep Johnson and release Welker.

Johnson isnt taking up a roster spot. Who else do they cut? My choice would probably be Polk.
Everyone was talking about how thin at DB we were and everyone is against this move.i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif Hopefully, Wes makes it through waivers to the PS.

MoveitMister
09-15-2004, 08:26 PM
What?

Why?

I haven't read any of this thread.
I'm going to read now. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Chargeroo
09-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by: attila

Johnson isnt taking up a roster spot. Who else do they cut? My choice would probably be Polk.

Everyone was talking about how thin at DB we were and everyone is against this move.i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif Hopefully, Wes makes it through waivers to the PS.You're right, Johnson doesn't count while he's on PUP. I forgot about that.

MoveitMister
09-15-2004, 08:47 PM
No disrespect to him, but I would have dropped Zeke Moreno and kept Wes Welker.

We drop Mattos and then we drop Welker.

I know we needed more help in the safety area, but if we all know that wr was a weak area last year why cut the legs out of the offense before we really get started?

i/expressions/SDG_Lance_Alworth.gif
Would he have been cut too?

compubolt
09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by: MoveitMister
No disrespect to him, but I would have dropped Zeke Moreno and kept Wes Welker.

That would not be disrespectful, zeke sucks and is only on this team because shotty is still in charge. Maybe he wil play better this year being moved inside.

SuperCharger
09-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Dwight just needs to get his hawkeye yoga a55 on the field and earn his keep. i/expressions/devil.gif

Boltbaby
09-15-2004, 08:53 PM
I like Wes, but if Leon Johnson comes back, I'll forget all about him.

Critter
09-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Like someone already said,

It's good to have lb's in the 3-4 but Welker just lost his job because we are the only NFL franchise that keeps 4 QB's on the roster.

Idiocy.

foober
09-15-2004, 09:52 PM
There has to be some reason with the keeping 4 qb's on the starting roster. Just has to be.

If they do keep all four on the active roster all year and nothing happens trade wise I'll have to admit its about as nuts as it comes.

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 09:54 PM
There has to be some reason with the keeping 4 qb's on the starting roster. Just has to be.

If they do keep all four on the active roster all year and nothing happens trade wise I'll have to admit its about as nuts as it comes.

Do you really think A.J. "the Wizard" Smith is crazy ? Crazy like a fox !!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

foober
09-15-2004, 09:56 PM
trumpet, I agree, a.j. is a great card player. I'll be very suprised if nothing happens.

IronMountain1960
09-15-2004, 09:57 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Welker will be back on the team within 2-3 weeks, as soon as someone gets hurt and put on IR. This happens almost every year, I can't see Parker returning punts, he is too injury prone, as is Dwight, so they will pick him back up on the roster sometime soon.
Marino, I think does a good job as a run stopping inside linebacker, and he is pretty good against the pass also, so I wouldn't want to see him off the team. If I had a choce it would have been one of the QB's, lemon or Flutie onto the coaching staff to make room.

benjee68
09-15-2004, 09:57 PM
honestly guys...i don't see what you guys saw in welker...he almost looks like dwight returning KO's but i personally don't think he's that fast. he did return one for a TD but although it was an impressive run avoiding tackles and such i didn't see the speed. i just didn't think he was much of a threat as a returner. sorry fellas...

i am however somewhat thrown back as to why he got canned solely due to the fact taht dwight is still out but i did hear marty say dwight could be ready as soon as the jets game.

i hope wes will remain on the PS just in case.

looks like we got clinton...a BASEBALL guy...

way to go marty...next place you'll see marty grabbing a guy will be on a golf course

TrumpetDude
09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by: benjee68

looks like we got clinton...a BASEBALL guy...

way to go marty...next place you'll see marty grabbing a guy will be on a golf course

Yeah and Marty grabbed a basketball player in Antonio Gates - Imagine that ? They must look real dumb on the Antonio Gates Kent State basketball player deal. What do you think ? i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

HBBoltFan
09-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't know much about the guy (Hart) but a nine game starter at safety for team that almost represented the NFC in the SB must have some upside. A young guy with starting experience with a winning team can only help the Bolts. I thought Welker would be a good return guy for this team but with Parker, Dwight, Johson and even DFlo and Turner this team has some decent return guys. I just do not want to see Parker on returns. He has a chance to be a very good WR for this team and I don't want him getting killed on PR duty.

londonbobby
09-15-2004, 10:21 PM
As an Eagles fan, let me shed some light for you on Clinton Hart:

The kid came out of nowhere last year to make the Eagles. He'd spent time on the practice squad, and when Dawkins went down with a foot injury last year, he was the next man. He started 9 games for the Eagles, and the Birds went 7-2 in that time. Prior to his starting assignment, he was very good on special teams.

This past summer, however, he really didn't have a good camp. He was getting beat on routes and Dawkins had to call him out a couple of times. Reid drafted a kid named JR Reid to return kickoffs and the guy has really turned heads at safety as well with some eye-popping hits. Quentin Mikell, the other backup at safety, also oplays special teams extremely well. He also had an outstanding camp at DB.

With the Eagles having a lot of injuries so far, Reid couldn't keep 5 safeties--so he let Hart go essentially because he wasn't that good of a special teams player and he had slipped as far as his play at DB went.

SDtwin
09-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Anyone else notice that Welker is still listed on the deoth chart at WR but gon at KOR and PR? Kind of weird.

denverboltfan
09-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Welker was one of my favorites. Very disappointing news.

rrogers
09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Wes sure looked good in preseason, I was stunned that they relesed him. Hart isn't a bad safety and hits hard. I hope this works out. If Parker gets hurt returning punts we are in big trouble. I take it Dwight will return kick offs when he is healthy?

maverjoe
09-15-2004, 11:15 PM
This really really sucks. DAH....angry!

joelbolt
09-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Anyone else notice that Welker is still listed on the deoth chart at WR but gon at KOR and PR? Kind of weird.

Don't read anything into that. I just missed him when I updated the depth chart. Unfortunately I cant update the depth chart form home. SO dont let it keep you up all night.

shawn03
09-16-2004, 12:34 AM
I figured this woudl be a good place to jump in ....

The chargers have good options at the return position... Drayton Florence,Tim Dwight, Michael Turner can all do the job back there. Welker was a nice option but he was not going to pan out as a WR. We need a hard hitting safety after releasing Rodney Harrison too early in my opinion. Teams have to pay for throwing the ball up top down the middle.

Welker is a nice press story but stories will not get this team to the play offs! Anyone seen Ronney Jenkins lately? You need more than one tool in the arsenal as a return man, especially on a team carrying 4 QB's and one real expensive 3rd stringer.

compubolt
09-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by: TexasFlood
Welker would be a good person to take you to the playoffs. Watch some footage of his college years, tearing up the Big XII. Ask Kris Brown if you think Welker isn't a tough, hard hitter.

It is not always about that. Right now the chargers are short on Safetys, they picked one up when they released him. They have enough WR's, and they do not have room this year for a KR spot. We all hope he is able to make it to the PS, but if not that means another team board will get to share your wonderful presence. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Flowsomuch
09-16-2004, 01:52 AM
It's really interesting for a Texan talk some trash when his team just lost a game. Hey buddy, youre in the wrong spot to talk trash...But anyway, I was a little surprised wes welker go. He had heart, don't get me wrong, but he's slow and doesn't really have any cuts. He's just one of those little guys that just played hard. Other than that, we're pretty safe with D. Flo returning the kickoffs and dwight and parker handling the punts. No worries in that. Good come up! Stack that D up!

Chargeroo
09-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by: crash1017
This will bite the Chargers! Wes was my roomate @ Tech and he will nont even be phased by this. Shottenheimer or whatever his name is needs to be fired because I bet Clinton's HART is not as big as Wes'. This is trash call me when the next returner for ya'll has 101 yards on 4 touches. I don't even like the chargers but I had to register to post this message. terrible decision!! Go Cowboys!
If you don't like the Chargers, don't come here because we don't like people that don't like the Chargers. We all like Welker, the kid plays with a ton of heart and we hope he gets back on the team soon, however if this guy they picked up can be a starter at FS, someone had to be released to take him. Welker wouldn't have been the guy I released but he is strictly a Special Teams guy at this time so that's probably why he was released. Let's be cool and see if he gets brought back. Remember at the time of the final cuts we all expected some more moves.

dgjock
Originally posted by: dbh1960
Schottenheimer has a thing about size. Welker didn't fit in to his notion of the physical dimensions of a football player-never mind that the guy has heart and, seemingly, no fear. Johnson has none of the attributes usually given to a punt/kick returner, namely: speed and elusiveness. Tim Dwight is only on this team because he's a an established player with a big contract. Marty never has been a guy who appreciates the "player" in "football player." "Little Train" James, at 5'6", would never have made it past the first preseason cut on a Schottenheimer coached team. We're the poorer for this move...

You reminded me again how much I hate Schottenheimer.

dbh1960
Schottenheimer has a thing about size. Welker didn't fit in to his notion of the physical dimensions of a football player-never mind that the guy has heart and, seemingly, no fear. Johnson has none of the attributes usually given to a punt/kick returner, namely: speed and elusiveness. Tim Dwight is only on this team because he's a an established player with a big contract. Marty never has been a guy who appreciates the "player" in "football player." "Little Train" James, at 5'6", would never have made it past the first preseason cut on a Schottenheimer coached team. We're the poorer for this move...

Threadkiller
I don't even like the chargers but I had to register to post this message. terrible decision!! Go Cowboys!

If you don't like the Chargers, then the hell with you.

Wes Welker will be back on the team again, but you are not allowed to root for our team just because of your man-love for one player.

mdpttu
But has anyone brought up the fact that he's kind of undersized for the NFL, and Dwight fills his role a little better?

Dwight is listed at 5-8 180. Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't Welker listed at 5-9 190? People say Welker was too slow. Well, if it is all about speed, sign some track star to run the ball back. Others say its his size, ask the kicker for the Texans about that. I can hear some of you now, "It was just a kicker. Anyone can hit a kicker like that." Well, that kicker was 5-11 205. He had a couple of inches and about 15 or 20 pounds on Welker. Point is, Welker makes up for where others say he falls short in a big way. I would rather have a whole team of Welkers than a bunch of guys with speed and size but no real football playing ability. Its all good though, he will land a spot somewhere...I am confident in that.

WHITELIGHTNING
Hart may be a steal and more help than Welker provided. If we didnt have 4 QB's on the team Welker might not have been let go. AJ has got to do something about the QB log jamb.

DDFBOLTS
Originally posted by: Flowsomuch
welker? He ain't no dante hall that's for sure, or no old school andre coleman. That's the business, he's alright. He ain't that great, but you gotta be something special on special teams. And as far as welker, he's just another unexperienced wide receiver taking up space just returning kickoffs, besides, we already have D. Flo to take care of that. So peace out welker, you played some great pre-season games especially the touchdown against the seahawks all to some good blocking. Peace!

Really!!! Dwight isn't goign to do a damn thing for this team, i hope wes comes back and no one cliams him!!

DDFBOLTS
Man my typing sucks!!! early in the morning and that news was a shocker!!!

nleobold
That sure was a nice hit Welker put on the Texans kicker. I like Welker's energy. Maybe he'll get picked off of waivers and put on the practice squad. If so I will be happy for him. But has anyone brought up the fact that he's kind of undersized for the NFL, and Dwight fills his role a little better?

Nic
#1 Chargers fan in Manhattan, New York City

BEAT THE JETS

gobolts6
i'm real sad to see Wes go, but really.. i like the fact of getting Hart since we need help with FS.. as well, phillidelphia's papers are claiming it was a "steal" for the Chargers to get Hart!! but i'm just hoping, and i'm assuming this is the chargers plan, that they will resign Wes to the practice squad. Most likely, Wes will pass through waivers and rejoin the Chargers in no time... just give it acouple days!

Flowsomuch
welker? He ain't no dante hall that's for sure, or no old school andre coleman. That's the business, he's alright. He ain't that great, but you gotta be something special on special teams. And as far as welker, he's just another unexperienced wide receiver taking up space just returning kickoffs, besides, we already have D. Flo to take care of that. So peace out welker, you played some great pre-season games especially the touchdown against the seahawks all to some good blocking. Peace!

guimcharger
Leon Johnson is just as capable of a returner as Welker is in my opion so I don't think it was move that will hurt us, but I would have rather seen Tim Dwight released.

Boltjolt
Powell ran one back and had far les chances and he was flat out cut. Welker was OK. Doesnt matter to me one way or the other. No big loss and we have players to fill the role.

I do agree we could cut the QB situation to three to make a roster spot and i dont know why they havent. Must have some master plan there. Id even cut Leon Johnson for Welker but i wasnt as impessed by Welker as some of you were.

As i said many times.....if they are going to keep Dwight...he is the one who should return kicks...not Welker. One of them had to go and apparently they dont want to cut Dwight, and Dwight is mentioned like he might play this week.

goretek
This will bite the Chargers! Wes was my roomate @ Tech and he will nont even be phased by this. Shottenheimer or whatever his name is needs to be fired because I bet Clinton's HART is not as big as Wes'. This is trash call me when the next returner for ya'll has 101 yards on 4 touches. I don't even like the chargers but I had to register to post this message. terrible decision!! Go Cowboys!

Dam bro, no need to stop being a lady. I'm a huge Welker guy and believe he will an important puzzle of this team. But do you know how he has perfrormed during practice besides being a returner? Does he run the correct routes as a WR and get separation?

I am for one pi$$ed that they 'demoted' him for a safety when Lassiter in my opinion is much better than the kat they're about to hire.

Oh and by the way, forget the Cowgirls!!!

HeadTrip
I dont know what you are so excited about... he will be a Charger again in a metter of days, and we adressed a possition that we needed too badly in FS.

denverboltfan
I have to agree with crash. Welker was a breath of fresh air and showed great promise as a returner. He showed the heart that will be needed to turn this team around. He earned a spot on the roster. Releasing him was ignorant.

compubolt
Originally posted by: Psquared
Has he even ran back one for a TD? Or a long one for that matter?

In pre-season he did, and I think he led the NFL in return yards for the pre-season, he is lucky he made it past the last cut. He will hopefully land on the chargers PS when they cut one of the DB's already on it. Then he can be brought back if there is an injury.

Thunderstruck
A lot of us are bummed about Wes being waved but he got caught in the numbers game. I think most of us are hoping he gets resigned to practice squad.

Psquared
Has he even ran back one for a TD? Or a long one for that matter?

crash1017
I know this but PS is not where he needs to be. How many times does he have to prove himself!

TrumpetDude

Welker clears waivers and gets a spot on the PS. It is part of the Master plan man. Give it a couple of days for him to clear waivers and viola. You will Love the Bolts again...i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

crash1017

Chargeroo
09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by: SDtwin
Wes Welker is still on as a WR but gone as KOR and PR. Kind of weird. Is it like that for a reasson or has it not been changed completely yet?Oddly, they let Joel have two hours off per day. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Eowawa
I was kind of wondering why Marty was using Eric Parker in the 2nd half returning punts instead of Wes. I guess Marty did not trust Wes with a lead to fair catch it when it was needed. This is not good because they need to save Parker as a WR and not risk him to injury doing double duty. Dwight and him both should stay off ST. Wes was doing just fine and this could come back to bite us early when Parker and/or Dwight go down yet again for the season. Who is this guy from the Eagles anyway? I thought Wilson had an outstanding game for us so this move makes little sense, unless he is a real upgrade. Any other Philly fans in here that can fill us in on him??

compubolt
They released him tonight, I bet tommorow sometime they will update it. They have better things to do at night then update that part of the site I hope.

Ask Joelbolt, he will tell you why....

Joel?

SDtwin
Wes Welker is still on as a WR but gone as KOR and PR. Kind of weird. Is it like that for a reasson or has it not been changed completely yet?

benjee68
09-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Really!!! Dwight isn't goign to do a damn thing for this team, i hope wes comes back and no one cliams him!!

--------------------------

nah dude...i beg to differ...granted he's injury prone but dwight will be effective in key situations for us. its kinda wierd...i've never lost faith in him like most charger fans...not to say the charger fans are wrong for bashing him, i mean maybe he did lose a step or so or he's just injured all the time....but for some reason that doesn't bother me. he's on this team for a reason. the coaches feel he's still a valuable assesst to this team and i don't have any doubt that he'll produce for us this year. i just got a izzy fizzy feeling about this. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

SanLuisFan
09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
*sniff*, I hope that they can sign him to the practice squad. The kid is a good KR/PR.

benjee68
09-16-2004, 10:47 AM
don't worry sanluisfan..the consensus is, he'll be back on the team. i do believe they'll keep him in the PS for the time being.

HBBoltFan
09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Oddly, they let Joel have two hours off per day. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifThe slacker i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Shamrock
09-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I do not think very highly of Jerry Wilson or his game whatsoever. None of our Free Safeties are worth a damn and this is a glaring sore spot.

But, I think Wilson is better than Lassiter (that's not saying much).

I'd still like to see Milligan start at SS with Kiel at FS.

Shamrock
09-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by: guimcharger
Leon Johnson is just as capable of a returner as Welker .....
Somebody help me off the floor. I don't know whether to laugh or puke.......

chalkrp
09-16-2004, 12:31 PM
I just can't believe they cut Wes Welker...No more guns up for san diego

usanaman
09-16-2004, 01:03 PM
they should of have released dwight he injuried all the time. there marty at it again. johnson should have been released also. Wes would have kept parker from being a return guy. fire Marty today

JonSD
09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Release Dwight? Not trying to be rude but do you understand what would happen $$ wise if we released Dwight? Next year we'll be free of $22 mil of 'dead money', money which will go towards bettering the team. Now if we cut Dwight (and his rather large contract), that would have led to even more dead money. And while I wouldn't be against the release Johnson, it wouldn't have made a difference since he's on the PUP list no the active 53-man roster.

benjee68
09-16-2004, 02:01 PM
hey JonSD...that pic of that stadium...where is that?

that's a cool looking stadium...it's not the Q is it? lol doesn't look like the Q.

JonSD
09-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Yes its the Q comming right down the steps between sections 20/21. I shot that picture about 20 minutes before the kickoff of the Bolts/Seattle pre-season game.

footballhooters
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
This appears to be another crap move by A.J., i'm getting tired of him and his bad decisions. It's not enough to draft horrible, not get top free agents but it's even worse when you are getting rid of quality talent when we have alot of crap on our roster. His best moves in my opinion was getting the first rounder in the Rivers deal although Rivers will be crap until about 7 years down the road, he's a Gannon wannabe, getting Osgood which i prayed he would, and getting Jason Ball which i hoped he would. He misses to much talent, and grabbing Quentin jammer over Mckinnie, and Roy Williams was a sad mistake, the Fonoti pick i loved, but it hasn't panned out well, and i was against the Caldwell pick. Dang all of this complaining it sounds like i need to change teams, but after several horrible years and a sub-par year it looks like i'm in it for the long run.

dgjock
09-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by: footballhooters
It's not enough to draft horrible,

Dude, are you serious? Getting QB of the future, 1st rnd for next year, starting kicker, center, defensive end, right tackle, sack masters phillips and ball and good backup for LT is not good? O wait, he didnt get all the players from 1st team all american, yeah he draft horribly i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Triknique
09-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow footballhooters, you really know your stuff. Anyway we can get you to quit at McDonalds to be the GM of the Bolts?

JonSD
09-16-2004, 05:04 PM
*ZIIING*

robanalog
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
FBHooters, I think you might have to rethink your statement. This is AJ's first draft year as GM I believe and the consensus is pretty much that he did a lot for the better in this offseason probably since we drafted LT. The Super Bowl ring won't be here this year but this year it feels like a TEAM mentality has formed and that this maturing bolt team will start getting the wins we've been missing out on since forever. The season is one game old and hindsight is always 20/20 but hey we gotta dance with who we brought and in a couple years we're gonna have the hottest date you've ever seen. Seeing the depth chart, it can go either way but the team has to do something about the hole in the secondary. If Hart is the player that stops the bleeding, I'm all for it. We just gotta give our team chances to score and stop the opponents from scoring...

MrGetdown
09-16-2004, 05:40 PM
that sucks balls, they should've signed someone in the off season if they needed depth in the secondary. Wes was good for the special teams!

compubolt
09-16-2004, 05:46 PM
There was no FA's they liked, but say they did grab a safety, do you think that magically a spot on the team would be added for Welker? Basically the team needed another safety, Welker made it because Johnson is on pup. I like him and hope he makes it to the PS but I highly doubt he would have made the final cut if Johnson was healthy or there was a good FA safety availible.

GdoubleE
09-16-2004, 05:48 PM

I do not think very highly of Jerry Wilson or his game whatsoever. None of our Free Safeties are worth a damn and this is a glaring sore spot.

But, I think Wilson is better than Lassiter (that's not saying much).

I'd still like to see Milligan start at SS with Kiel at FS.

THere it is This secondary will grow even stronger once Kiel moves to FS he isnt a SS.

samstark1
09-16-2004, 05:52 PM
I definitely had love for the undrafted rookie kick returner from Texas Tech! and I can't believe the Bolts are letting him go....especially after he pulled a Dante Hall in the preseason vs. Seattle. Welker was all heart and I, for one, think we shouldve held on to him.

compubolt
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by: GdoubleE

THere it is This secondary will grow even stronger once Kiel moves to FS he isnt a SS.

Or keep him in the SS spot, once milligan or maybe hart is brought in, they can use the FS spot as the SS, and rotate them depending on coverages. It would help to disguise and confuse. Having 2 safetys that are fast enough to play FS and strong enough to play SS is what every team is looking for. Imagine seeing Kiel walk up to the line, the QB accounts for him and hikes it, Kiel falls back to cover the Slot WR and wham Milligan bliztes blind side. Just a thought.

geekster
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
This appears to be another crap move by A.J., i'm getting tired of him and his bad decisions. It's not enough to draft horrible, not get top free agents but it's even worse when you are getting rid of quality talent when we have alot of crap on our roster. His best moves in my opinion was getting the first rounder in the Rivers deal although Rivers will be crap until about 7 years down the road, he's a Gannon wannabe, getting Osgood which i prayed he would, and getting Jason Ball which i hoped he would. He misses to much talent, and grabbing Quentin jammer over Mckinnie, and Roy Williams was a sad mistake, the Fonoti pick i loved, but it hasn't panned out well, and i was against the Caldwell pick. Dang all of this complaining it sounds like i need to change teams, but after several horrible years and a sub-par year it looks like i'm in it for the long run.

You can get some stuff to fix that problem of yours, but it is going to take a prescription. If you are a Raider fan in disguise, you aren't doing a very good job of hiding it. IMHO...

Take a look at the team - it *is* improved and (hopefully) will continue to grow in talent we need rather than be spent like your ravings quoted above.

I'm sorry for getting on ya - but in this case you are so far off-target I have to.

GdoubleE
09-16-2004, 06:01 PM

This could be the single most intelligent post I have seen. Congrats you really do pay attention to the Chargers. What with AJ being our GM or the past four years and all. If I had the power, I would immediately send you in for shock therapy.

BTW CAldwell is allright by me as long as he puts a TD on the board each game

GdoubleE
09-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I see your point in keeping him at the alignment of playing on the strong side. However if we had a strong safety like Roy Williams would you not slide him over? Im not saying that Milligan will be that good or anywhere near him (as I live far away from SD and have not seen him in action) but if Milligan plays the SS position better then I say switch em. Teams sometimes do use that defensive play although it is extremely risky to have both safeties near the LOS.

Go Bolts!!!

SanLuisFan
09-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Maybe they'll re-sign Welker when the get down to three quarterbacks. Unless, of course, they trade for a WR.

Boltjolt
09-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Holy Smokes...a lot of you are acting like they released a seasoned vet who has made some great plays for us over the years. I even read back a few pages that somebody said they would have released Zeke Moreno to keep Welker.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif Are you guys for real? Release Moreno for Welker? Wow.

They released a UDFA scrub who had some PR talent. Big Deal. A lot of you were up in arms after they released Ronnie Jenkins and we survived. He has been cut a few times since then.

Releasing Welker is no big deal. Im sure they could get him back because nobody will pick him up. He offers nothing outside of returning kicks and we have at least 4 others that can do that.

I agree that Parker shouldnt be one of them but once again ill say it.....with Tim Dwight still on this team and being way down the depth charts...he should be the one returning kicks...not Welker. If Dwight was cut...Welker should be the guy but apparently, they arent going to cut Dwight so one of them had to go when Dwight is healthy and he is getting close.

I wish Welker luck, and perhaps they will pick him back up for the PS but if not...no big loss.
Its my guess that they want some more experience back ther than Welker offers. He doesnt even know how to call for a fair catch i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

compubolt
09-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I think I may have said to release Moreno, but I did not mean do that to keep Welker, I just have been hating on moreno for a while. I have had him, polk, and fox on my hit list, one down 2 to go. Although I would say moving zeke back to the inside may help resurect his carreer.

geekster
09-16-2004, 06:30 PM
???? When did Moreno ever leave the inside? I thought he just got demoted and cannot recall him playing OLB?

compubolt
09-16-2004, 06:31 PM
I rememeber seeing him play outside more then once last year I think.

doublej
09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I admit i just started learning about the bolts, but I don't understand keeping 4 quaterbacks and cutting Welker. Doesn't make much sense to me!

bluehair
09-16-2004, 06:55 PM

I do not agree that Welker coulndt contribute more. He was the only guy who hustles the whole play and it looked like he was the fastest guy in pads to me when i watched him.

SanLuisFan
09-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by: doublej
I admit i just started learning about the bolts, but I don't understand keeping 4 quaterbacks and cutting Welker. Doesn't make much sense to me!

The popular opinion seems to be that they will trade one of the QBs away before the trade deadline to some team who has their #1 QB go down, and don't have a very good back-up. That takes them down to three. The QB that they don't trade will likely be gone next year, which takes them down to two. I think that of the current QB crop, only Rivers and Lemon will be on the squad next year.

doublej
09-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Boltjolt
09-16-2004, 07:10 PM
doublej

Who is that on your avatar? Looks like one of the guys from Bachman Turner Overdrive or something...from that era anyways.

compubolt
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
That is Will Ferral (sp?) from SNL in the "more cow bell" skit where they are recording "don't fear the reaper"

doublej
09-16-2004, 07:17 PM
You've never seen that skit boltjolt?

Boltjolt
09-16-2004, 07:19 PM
No i havent....lol

doublej
09-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Look it up online somewhere. It is one of the funniest skits I've ever seen. Christopher Walken was the host. If you go to google and type in Will Ferrell- Don't fear the reaper you should find it somewhere. It is worth it I promise.

RMANCIL
09-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Leon must have photos on Marty ,other wise letting Welker go and keeping him makes no since.

I hope this new guy can come up and be a force against the run.Wilson got wiped out on several plays Sunday.

goSDgo
09-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't know about you guys , but wes made me a little nervous every punt. I just keep thinking about that fumble, and the fact that he doesn't like to fair catch. I think Wes has a lot of potential, and hate that we lost him. Maybe the FO has something planned for his re-signing. I got the feeling that Marty and AJ really like his big heart.

P.S.

My wife is pi$$ed off, first Terrel Fletcher, and now Wes. She in black this very second.

Electron
09-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by: RMANCIL
Leon must have photos on Marty ,other wise letting Welker go and keeping him makes no since.

I hope this new guy can come up and be a force against the run.Wilson got wiped out on several plays Sunday.

Leon really isn't that bad of a player. His average KOR was just over 23 yards and was the co-special teams player of the year. He wasn't horrible. Wes' KOR average was around 25 yards per return.

2003: Chargers co-Special Teams Player of Year...led team with 50 kickoff returns for 1,151 yards…his 50 returns was fifth-highest single-season total in team history and 1,151 yards was sixth-highest…also took over punt return duties late in season with 24 returns for 184 yards…averaged season-high 33.8 yards per return on five kickoff returns against Kansas City Nov. 30…had season-long 60 and 53-yard returns and season-high 169 kickoff return yards against Chiefs…had two special teams tackles at Pittsburgh Dec. 21…season-high eight kickoff returns against Steelers…had season-long 18-yard rush and 21-yard punt return against Oakland Dec. 28…did not play Weeks 1-2...signed with Chargers Aug. 26 after being waived by St. Louis Aug. 25.

eaglesfan74
09-16-2004, 09:50 PM
hi chargers fan,
eaglesfan here chimin in, checkin on your thoughts about clinton hart.
as eagles fans we were very sad to see clinton go, but we had too much depth at the safety position.
supposedly the eagles were trying to trade one of our safties for a draft pick , but nothing fell through and because of injuries and lack of special teams play Clinton Hart was released.

Clinton made huge strides just to make it to the NFL. hes a hitter, you will notice that. He is a hard worker and very athletic. I believe he can and will succeed in the Chargers organization if given the opprotunity. He might take a while to learn the system... think of being fired from the job u loved most at a place where u felt u belonged... he will have to recharge his mental batteries and toughen is heart.

good luck this year.. im sure your all charged up with the win over houston texans this past weekend!

i also see you have one of our camp players brandon haw on your practice squad. he is a rookie and showed alot of potential and has size.

Thunderstruck
09-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the 411, bro. The more I hear about Hart, the more I think we got a great pick-up under the radar. Hopefully, he lives up to his potential.

SanLuisFan
09-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info from Eagles land. And another thank you to the Eagles for laying the wood on Manning during the last play of their opener. It warms my heart i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

eaglesrule88
09-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Many of us were shocked to see him go. He did a fine job starting 9 games last year... most of those games lining up with 2nd year corners in the secondary since our starters Vincent and Taylor were out many games also. Since the birds drafted JR Reed to take over Dawk's position one day and the kid turned out to be a pretty good return man, Clinton had to go (Clinton is 5 years older than JR I believe).

Good luck to you this season.

rule12b
09-26-2004, 11:30 AM
I think he was kept because of the leadership and inspiration he gives to the team. I like Welker more as a playmaker on returns, but in terms of the team, TD had to stay. Still, there was probably another cut I would have preferred.

619SportsFan
I'm happy for Dwight's return. He's a mediocre receiver but when healthy he is ELECTRIC on returns. My one beef with TD was his overpaid contract but since he's restructured, I'm fine with it. The team had invested a lot in TD and vice-versa hopefully this is the year it pays off.

geekster
Originally posted by: creepydarkwing
Well I am happy with the safety PU. I again am saying that it should have been Dwight to do and not Wes.

I guess what I am failing to understand is *WHY* you are saying it? Can you give us a bit of amplification why you are so against Tim Dwight every time his name comes up, (currently three threads)?

Just saying things like "he sux" doesn't do the job - exactly what is it about him that you don't like other than he has had two collapsed lungs (he got on the field sacrificing his body for the team) or that he has had an injured hamstring through training camp and you haven't seen him play "recently"?

Watch the game Sunday and, unless he re-injures that hammie trying to come back too soon, you and I will have an entertaining (at least for me) conversation about this Sunday night.

Its OK that you liked Wes - heck I did too and still do and will be looking for him on the Miami or Buc team or wherever he winds up - but sheesh - why do you feel like TD is some kind of trash athelete? I sure don't.

Doc!
Well I am happy with the safety PU. I again am saying that it should have been Dwight to do and not Wes.

geekster
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
That remains to be seen. Dwight has to be healthy, and there's the hitch. If he's healthy, Dwight can contribute more NOW than Wes because Dwight has a role in the offense. I'll admit, though, that I'm not real confident in Dwight's ability to stay healthy.

I think it just doesn't do any good to harp on the FO, especially over an unproven commodity. We as fans don't really know what Welker's potential is. We do know what Tim Dwight can do if he's right. Evidently, the Bolts have never seriously considered parting with TD, and there must be a reason for that.

I couldn't agree with you more Thunderstruck - those two collapsed lungs really took it out of his career stats from where they should be - but he got them on the field - not in a bar fight somewhere...

http://www.chargers.com/team/player_stats.cfm?first_name=Tim&last_name=Dwight

We KNOW what Tim can - and will - do for the Chargers....

619SportsFan
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
Bottom line: the team has improved the talent level overall by acquiring a YOUNG safety coming from a winning organization with playoff experience. This is exactly the kind of move that I've seen other teams make, wondering "Why didn't WE do that?".

I don't understand the uproar over Wes Welker. He was a UDFA, barely on the team for two months. This is a VERY SMALL bump in the road, IMO.

PS. If this causes some "Charger fans" to switch allegiances to the Bucs, then that bump gets even smaller.

Heartily agree. I too don't understand why some Charger fans are so in love with Welker. I think the team made a good move to solidify the secondary with the pick-up of Hart.

Doc!
Thunder the point is Dwight should have gone before Wes IMO. Everyone is saying somebody else should have gone before Wes. That is the FO's fault.

geekster
Well, I am a Rivers fan - but only since he became a Charger, (under contract). Marty has apparently been a Rivers fan since the bowl game he coached PR in. I hope he turns out to be the second coming of Dan Fouts or even Stan Humphries - Lord knows we could use the help. Right now he is our 3rd string QB and has a chance to REALLY take advantage of that with not one but TWO pros ahead of him to learn from instead of getting the heck beat out of him behind an offensive line with two Rooks starting in it. (Who, BTW, did a surprisingly good job in week 1)!!!

In College play - both he and Wes Welker were good enough to establish an apparent loyal "player" fan base, which is great - absolutely nothing wrong with that - BUT all this flaming of the organization for letting an UDFA go in favor of an established pro to fill a perceived team weakness is simply silly and boring IMHO.... I didn't understand it either at first, but I certainly do now that I took the time to look into it a bit.

Thunderstruck
That remains to be seen. Dwight has to be healthy, and there's the hitch. If he's healthy, Dwight can contribute more NOW than Wes because Dwight has a role in the offense. I'll admit, though, that I'm not real confident in Dwight's ability to stay healthy.

I think it just doesn't do any good to harp on the FO, especially over an unproven commodity. We as fans don't really know what Welker's potential is. We do know what Tim Dwight can do if he's right. Evidently, the Bolts have never seriously considered parting with TD, and there must be a reason for that.

Thunderstruck
C'mon guys. I liked Welker too, but he's certainly wasn't going to be that much of a difference-maker that it's time to start calling the FO idiotic for letting him go. Welker's was probably the one position on the field that could be replaced with someone who would be at least competent. And Welker's potential as a WR was rather limited, IMO. If the Bolts had released a proven player then maybe there's some legitimacy to the complaints but be real. Welker looked good in preseason and had a decent opening game. That's it.

Doc!
It is pretty simple to me. When they come out of the walls come Rivers time they should be ignored or told to be quiet. Remind them we are not looking for jerks in association with CHARGER FANz. Tell them to go the ESPN boards where all the fair weather fans and trolls are at. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif`

REDZONEFOOTBALL
dont forget no one has EVER returned a kickoff for a TD for the bucs

And lets hope Welker doesn't do that on Dec. 12th. Really come back to haunt us...

Doc!
The release was stupid in the first place. Dwight should have been released. Dwight is hurt more than he is healthy.

TrumpetDude
Man I wish Wes Welker the best. I rooted hard for this kid. The Bucs got a damn good player who is all heart. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

SanLuisFan
Psquared has a point. We can always sign Welker off of the Bucs practice squad.

Psquared
If someone gets put on IR we can always sign Welker from their practice squad.

sanluischargerfan
From the U-T:

Wide receiver/returner Wes Welker, waived Wednesday, is expected to sign with Tampa Bay as a practice-squad member. The Chargers tried to re-sign Welker to their practice squad, but the Bucs were a better fit because they need help at receiver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too bad, but that's the chance you take when you release a guy. The bad part is that now we'll be keeping Johnson and in the meantime we're stuck using Tim and Eric for returns and if they get injured during a return, the decision to cut Welker will be an even bigger problem.

================================================== =======
Man,
That would be too bad if Parker or Dwight were to get dinged up on a return. I can't see Johnson being the threat to go to the house. So we will have to use one of them. The only use for Johnson after he recovers is to cover kicks.IMO

Rip
I doubt they need him as a WR.

They want his kick return skills, dont forget no one has EVER returned a kickoff for a TD for the bucs

foty89
As I stated, I like Wes, he was fun to watch and showed the heart and determination that you’d like to see in every player. I was sad to see him go, but understand the decision.

That being said, let us remember that he got signed to the Buc’s Practice Squad, not the active roster. So really, it appears that the Chargers’ decision was pretty good as he did not get picked up on the active roster.

The Chargers did try to sign him to the Practice Squad. He has potential, but is like a lot of other Practice Squad guys, a work in progress.

I hope he gets a chance and does well with it. Maybe next year we can get him back.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Chargeroo
From the U-T:
Wide receiver/returner Wes Welker, waived Wednesday, is expected to sign with Tampa Bay as a practice-squad member. The Chargers tried to re-sign Welker to their practice squad, but the Bucs were a better fit because they need help at receiver.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too bad, but that's the chance you take when you release a guy. The bad part is that now we'll be keeping Johnson and in the meantime we're stuck using Tim and Eric for returns and if they get injured during a return, the decision to cut Welker will be an even bigger problem.

yodafro
He was signed to their practice squad.

SanLuisFan
And the worst part is that I need to create a new avatar i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

minion
as much as i like welker we really needed the depth at saftey

we also have alot of guys who can return punts and kickoffs

plus we had 6 wide outs so i think for now we made the right decision

Triknique
Did he get signed to the Bucs active roster, or practice squad? Regardless, hopefully he keeps that no fear attitude that is essential for special team returners. Good luck to ya, Wes.

Boltdiehard
At least he was able to showcase his abilities with us which helped him land a job elsewhere.

minion
ya thats true i wish the best for him not to many undrafted rookies make it in the NFL most got to the AFL

SanLuisFan
Bummer for us. I hope that he helps out the Bucs. I might have to watch a Buc game or two to see if I can watch the kid play. That is, or course, if they're not playing the same time as the Chargers i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

dgjock
good for him. He can play for a real coach now i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
With the McCardell situation now, he might be able to get some more plating time

denverboltfan
In the preseason, Welker showed the moves, speed, and grit that is needed to be a good returner. I am no expert in the Charger depth chart, but I was disappointed to see Welker get waived. Time will tell. If the Bucs picked him up, I look for him to be a contributor. I was looking forward to cheering as he broke a big return for the bolts. I don't look forward to watching him break one for another team and thinking "if only".

dgjock
there were some very loyal welker fans on the forums from what I'd read. My guess is they're related to him in some way. Isn't it interesting that the RIvers fans are so quiet now. Wait till he starts playing. THey'll be coming out of the woodwork when he does.

like you said, they are rivers fans, not chargers fans. What do you expect i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Shamrock
foobs,

That's why it gets difficult for Chargers fans to understand the fans of players, who aren't necessarily loyal to the team.

Those Wolfpackers should be on the board, rooting on the team. Instead, they are only going to be visible if Drew looks bad, or we lose, or when Rivers is playing.

I'm glad they like the kid, but they should realize that even their current silence is telling of their loyalties with the long term Chargers fans.

foober
there were some very loyal welker fans on the forums from what I'd read. My guess is they're related to him in some way. Isn't it interesting that the RIvers fans are so quiet now. Wait till he starts playing. THey'll be coming out of the woodwork when he does.

Shamrock
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING
Wes is now a Buc, at least he went to the NFC.

I can't find a link of that, nor did I see it on KFFL. Where did you see that he signed with Tampa?

Threadkiller
Bottom line: the team has improved the talent level overall by acquiring a YOUNG safety coming from a winning organization with playoff experience. This is exactly the kind of move that I've seen other teams make, wondering "Why didn't WE do that?".

I don't understand the uproar over Wes Welker. He was a UDFA, barely on the team for two months. This is a VERY SMALL bump in the road, IMO.

PS. If this causes some "Charger fans" to switch allegiances to the Bucs, then that bump gets even smaller.

Shamrock
Our loss, their gain. Damn. I hope the kid goes out and does himself proud.

Duke
It's going to be interesting on Dec 12th when Tampa comes to town.

WHITELIGHTNING
Wes is now a Buc, at least he went to the NFC.

WHITELIGHTNING
Wes Welker was picked up by the Bus who need help at WR spot. The Bolts did try to resign him but the Bucs offer was better. Good for Welker.

foty89
I was sorry to see Wes go, however this does not make the management stupid or any other thing that some would like to call them. Most of these people who keep posting these threads are friends or big fans, many of whom followed him in college.

It is great to see a player who has developed a strong following. However, their very zeal for the player blinds them to the bigger picture.

In the NFL, you can only have 53 players on a team. With that limitation, there are always tradeoffs and balancing acts to be accomplished. Many players who perhaps could be good players are lost to the team simply because there is no room for them. It is not college.

While I think that perhaps another player could have been cut instead of Wes, I will respect the decision the Chargers made. They obviously believe that it was the best move for the Chargers at this time.

At the same time, I hope that Wes can be brought into the practice squad and eventually back to the active roster. Baring that, I hope another team picks him up.

Given his achievements to this point, I am sure that he will have a successful life in football or out.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

RaiderHaterNyourMouth
Sounds like some CB should've loss his job...

rrogers
The CB's are young but good and will learn the system. However, with the release of Lassister and with the slow play of Teil and Wilson they did need a safety with some big game experience. Hart is no Harrison but he did play strong with the eagles. I do agree with you that someone else could have been cut but not from the CB's not when coverage is already the weak point. Hopefully Wes clears waviers and is put on the practice squad and when the Chargers trade a QB (Brees or Flutie) sometime in the 5th or 6th week (I believe that is the only reason we have 4 QB's on the roster) then they will bring Wes back up.

rrogers
I do agree that Wes was worth the risk to see if what we seen in preseason was for real. But I also see to lack of coverage in the middle for the chargers and need help there. Lets just hope this doesn't come back and bite us in the butt.

RaiderHaterNyourMouth
What a damm fool... Welker is a big play guy, the Chargers MGT is a bunch of idiots...

Doc!
09-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Dwight is a waste of space and Wes is in TB

Thunderstruck
If Dwight is healthy, he can contribute. That's a mighty big "if" though.

foty89
The simple solution here is for Dwight to get back on the field and show that he can play, or get injured for the year again. If he gets hurt again, then we could sign Welker back, he is on the TB PS.

Go Bolts!

superbolts
I thought Wes was picked up by either TB or Miami. And Dwight does not suck.

guimcharger
The Chargers should just get rid of Dwight. What a waste. Dwight can't even play special teams. He sucks at punt return and kick return. Welker still hasn't been picked up so hurry up before we lose him.

MahoganyRush
Dwight does NOT suck.

HeadTrip
Dwight cant catch a cold and he is always injured.

FormerChargerFan
09-26-2004, 11:32 AM
I watched Welker in college....hell of a player. Not big in size, but SD is gonna hurt over this call.

Chargeroo
Originally posted by: bluehair
that sucks. if the Eagles waived this guy there is a reason. boooooooo Chargers
Using that logic, then Welker must not be any good since he was also waived. - Think about it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

TemeculaMike
Originally posted by: bluehair

The reason is the Eagles have good depth at the Safety position. They have Brian Dawkins (FS), a Pro Bowler with 9 years of experience, and Michael Lewis (SS) with 3 years of experience. Backing these guys up are J.R. Reed (a Rookie with good upside) and Quintin Mikell a 2 year player also with upside. The eagles also have two Corner Backs that were in the Pro Bowl last year. In short, the Eagles secondary is solid and they waived a good player to make room for a back-up Offensive Tackle and Running Back, two positions which they were short on depth.

Good players get waived all the time. Many factors play into a teams decision to waive an otherwise good player. Most of the time it is contract/free agency concerns and who is waiting in the wings.

bluehair

RMANCIL
You have to figure Dwight and Parker along with Florence as the primary return guys.

I hope this saftey is a gamer cause Welker looked good in preseason.Time will tell.

WyoBolt
Is Dwight ready to play this weekend?

boltoflight
who will returning kickoffs and punts for us? i think it is one of the most courageous positions in the league.

Triknique
In the UT today, it says Dwght willl assume KR duties, and Parker the PR duties. Keep your fingers crossed that they stay healthy.