PDA

View Full Version : Blackout rules are

rule12b
09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Ok, according to the rule:

"A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET™. Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium."

So, according to the FCC apparently, the San Diego BROADCAST affiliates can broadcast effectively as far north as Ventura and throughout Los Angeles. What a load of cr*p! Los Angeles County is considered Chargers "home territory!"

Who can we lodge complaints against? Maybe a class action lawsuit?

run21lt
09-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Gosh, I never would've though there were any benefits to being a Bolts fan and living in th Detroit area.
At least I don't have to worry about the Chargers games being blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket here!

Just bought an authentic Tomlinson throwback jersey. He is definitley the real deal!

GO BOLTS!

Bob Eccles

xnet
09-16-2004, 12:39 PM
I've just written a letter to the NFL and CBS2 here in LA. All Los Angeles County and Riverside County bolt fans should write and complain. Here are the addresses:

National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

&

CBS 2
6121 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Attn: Programming for CBS

Letters are far more effective than emails or phone calls. Letter's take time and space. I also plan on writing the Chargers as well. In my letters I asked how CBS2 can air Raiders' games over Chargers' games if we are indeed part of the Chargers Home Territory.

xnet
09-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Also, there are some sort of NFL headquarters here in Los Angeles which I plan on visiting as soon as I get a chance. Once I get the address I'll post it as well.

rule12b
09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I'll send letters today. Keep me posted on other avenues to pursue.

TemeculaMike
09-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: rule12b

"A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET™. Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium."

So, according to the FCC apparently, the San Diego BROADCAST affiliates can broadcast effectively as far north as Ventura and throughout Los Angeles. What a load of cr*p! Los Angeles County is considered Chargers "home territory!"

As a NFL Sunday Ticket Chargers fan (and lawyer) living in Temecula who is forced to watch LA local channels, I am also upset about the black-out rules. Without Sunday ticket I could not watch the Texans/Chargers game because CBS showed the Raiders last Sunday. Yet, I am somehow in the Chargers TV market?

My learned opinion is a direct attack on the black-out rules would ultimately be unsuccessful because at the end of the day, the NFL owns the broadcast and can do anything it wants with it. However, an indirect attack based on discrimination might be successful. My angle would be to base a lawsuit on the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Going to the Chargers game is not an option for those inflicted with infectious diseases, psychological inflictions (such as Xenophobia - fear of strangers; agoraphobia (fear of crowds)); people with back problems that cannot sit for lengthy periods of time in hard plastic chairs, the extremely tall and/or overweight (don't fit in those tiny plastic seats) and many other real medical problems that prevent folks from attending a game. The practical effect of the "black out" rule is to withhold the television signal from the disabled until the NFL sells enough tickets to those that are able to go to the game. This is indirect discrimination.

If successful, the NFL would be required to either televise all games (regardless of the amount of seats sold) or televise no games (a financial disaster). However, the chances of ultimately prevailing are probably not good - just ask Maurice Clarrett.

foty89
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike

As a NFL Sunday Ticket Chargers fan (and lawyer) living in Temecula who is forced to watch LA local channels, I am also upset about the black-out rules. Without Sunday ticket I could not watch the Texans/Chargers game because CBS showed the Raiders last Sunday. Yet, I am somehow in the Chargers TV market?

My learned opinion is a direct attack on the black-out rules would ultimately be unsuccessful because at the end of the day, the NFL owns the broadcast and can do anything it wants with it. However, an indirect attack based on discrimination might be successful. My angle would be to base a lawsuit on the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Going to the Chargers game is not an option for those inflicted with infectious diseases, psychological inflictions (such as Xenophobia - fear of strangers; agoraphobia (fear of crowds)); people with back problems that cannot sit for lengthy periods of time in hard plastic chairs, the extremely tall and/or overweight (don't fit in those tiny plastic seats) and many other real medical problems that prevent folks from attending a game. The practical effect of the "black out" rule is to withhold the television signal from the disabled until the NFL sells enough tickets to those that are able to go to the game. This is indirect discrimination.

If successful, the NFL would be required to either televise all games (regardless of the amount of seats sold) or televise no games (a financial disaster). However, the chances of ultimately prevailing are probably not good - just ask Maurice Clarrett.

I like that approach, and if nothing else it would be a horrible public relations problem for the NFL to defend in court. It might be enough to tip the favor against the blackout rules, which are far out of date in any case.

As a legally blind fan, I can tell you that watching games at the stadium is much harder for me, than watching on television. To me, it does feel like a form of discrimination, not directly intended, but still resulting in the same end.

I’ll be the first to sign up in a class action lawsuit if you should wish to pursue such a course.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

rule12b
09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
TemeculaMike, I like your analysis. I'm a lawyer too but function now as an agent and in-house counsel so I am not equipped to wage litigation as I once did. I am writing my certified letters. Seems like some press coverage wouldn't hurt too. But if you ever get wind of an effort to organize a serious attack, please let me know at 21rocks@comcast.net.

Best,

Richard

Thunderstruck
09-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Here's what's truly ridiculous if you live in Riverside County, as I do. Riverside is an L.A. market, meaning we DON'T get Charger games on local cable and we DON'T get Padre games on local cable unless it happens to be a nationally televised game, or a featured game on FSN/ESPN. Every once in awhile, CBS will show the Charger games, but rarely. Hell, I only get ONE station, KUSI, that is a San Diego station! Everything else is L.A.

If we are a San Diego market in terms of NFL, then why is it that the games aren't on T.V.? It forces me to buy DirectTV so I can subscribe to Sunday Ticket...and then if the game doesn't sell out, they're going black out my subscription for that game because I'm in a SAN DIEGO MARKET??

Give me a friggin break! It makes no sense at ALL!

If it didn't happen that I'm going to the game this Sunday, I'd be irate.

foty89
09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
The even more annoying thing is that Sunday Ticket is subject to these stupid rules. Consider how much money you are paying for this service to have it taken away. If you are paying for a premium service like that, you should get what you are paying for.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TemeculaMike
09-16-2004, 02:19 PM

... Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium."

O.K., I thought of another non-litigation approach. The big problem with litigation is its costly and takes years. If the black-out area is defined by the signal strength of the broadcasting affiliate, then all we (and when I say "we" I mean you or somebody else) have to do is reduce the CBS's signal to a trickle or completely knock channel 8 off the air.

We (you) need to convince some Raiders fans to launch some sort of terrorist strike against the broadcasting facilities of the CBS affiliate. Blowing up their broadcast tower should suffice. By eliminating the broadcast signal, you eliminate the leakage of that broadcast signal into the LA DMA (Designated Market Area - the technical term for the television market). As a result, the Chargers will no longer be blacked out in Orange, Riverside, Los Angeles or San Bernardino counties.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I strongly suggest convincing Raiders fans to do this because they are much more experienced at breaking laws and destroying public/private property.

SDRaiderH8er
09-16-2004, 02:23 PM

... Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium."

O.K., I thought of another non-litigation approach. The big problem with litigation is its costly and takes years. If the black-out area is defined by the signal strength of the broadcasting affiliate, then all we (and when I say "we" I mean you or somebody else) have to do is reduce the CBS's signal to a trickle or completely knock channel 8 off the air.

We (you) need to convince some Raiders fans to launch some sort of terrorist strike against the broadcasting facilities of the CBS affiliate. Blowing up their broadcast tower should suffice. By eliminating the broadcast signal, you eliminate the leakage of that broadcast signal into the LA DMA (Designated Market Area - the technical term for the television market). As a result, the Chargers will no longer be blacked out in Orange, Riverside, Los Angeles or San Bernardino counties.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I strongly suggest convincing Raiders fans to do this because they are much more experienced at breaking laws and destroying public/private property.
Just tell those same Raider Fans, there is free Crack, and free Beer inside "That Building". then just stand back and watch, the riot would sure help.

geekster
09-16-2004, 02:26 PM
I think Charger games should be permanently blacked out in Oakland - and no one flying Raider colors should be permitted in the Q!

If you want to see the game in real time - go see it. IMHO

Thunderstruck
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
One thing that kinda bugs me is the Bolts have a vested interest in NOT selling out games. They are trying to convince the city to build them a state-of-the-art stadium, and the basis of their argument is that they cannot remain competitive in the run-down, wreck of a stadium that is Qualcomm. If they sold out every game for the next four years, their argument would evaporate.

geekster
09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
One thing that kinda bugs me is the Bolts have a vested interest in NOT selling out games. They are trying to convince the city to build them a state-of-the-art stadium, and the basis of their argument is that they cannot remain competitive in the run-down, wreck of a stadium that is Qualcomm. If they sold out every game for the next four years, their argument would evaporate.

Why is it that argument against the Chargers organization/ownership v/s the new stadium seems old and stale after this past year?

Kwakothunder
09-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Do you all remember many years ago when the Turds were in LA and they blacked out the game in San Diego when they were playing an AWAY game in LA? The claim was that the broadcast from the local LA Station reached San Diego county or the SD broadcast reached LA.

HBBoltFan
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Actually if I understand how the revenue sharing is setup, selling out the stadium does not have much of an impact on team revenues. The NFL pools all ticket revenue excluding clubs/sky box seats and divides it equally for all 32 teams. So non sellouts hurt all teams equally, probably around $150,000 a year per team.

The blackouts are frustrating not to mention the area rules when we in OC get faider games instead of the Bolts. I understand the reason for the blackouts but it is quite stupid that the Sunday Ticket customers can't get the game.

geekster
09-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Yep. The city got hurt on the guar. sellout deal thanks to "Mayor Mo" and friends - the Chargers let us off the hook. Right now it would be to both the city and Chargers benefit to get a sellout. City for $ and Charges for public relations.

If we get a new stadium, the owners will make theirs on Luxury boxes, etc.

shanehale
09-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Bad News:

Chargers home opener vs. Jets blacked out

ASSOCIATED PRESS
4:52 p.m. September 16, 2004

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Chargers' home opener Sunday against the New York Jets will be blacked out on local television because nearly 13,000 general admission tickets remained unsold by Thursday's deadline.

It's the first time a Chargers game has been blacked out since 1997.

Chargers games since then were shown locally because the city guaranteed the team revenue equivalent to the sale of 60,000 general admission seats per game in a controversial clause in the team's stadium lease.

But that clause was dropped as part of a deal between the city and the Chargers earlier this year.

Although the Chargers won their opener at Houston, they were an NFL-worst 4-12 last year and have missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons.

psych0girl
09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
hell, i'd donate money to the cause should anyone try to go into litigation with the NFL. That is a really good point though. I mean if you find out the census figures for disabled people within a city and how many tickets could be bought by those individuals whether they be blind, mentally ill, or severely obese. That is actually an interesting tactic.

LETSGOJETS
09-17-2004, 10:47 AM
You guys cant even sell out your home opener????
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

LETSGOJETS
09-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by: shanehale
Bad News:

Chargers home opener vs. Jets blacked out

ASSOCIATED PRESS

4:52 p.m. September 16, 2004

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Chargers' home opener Sunday against the New York Jets will be blacked out on local television because nearly 13,000 general admission tickets remained unsold by Thursday's deadline.

It's the first time a Chargers game has been blacked out since 1997.

Chargers games since then were shown locally because the city guaranteed the team revenue equivalent to the sale of 60,000 general admission seats per game in a controversial clause in the team's stadium lease.

But that clause was dropped as part of a deal between the city and the Chargers earlier this year.

Although the Chargers won their opener at Houston, they were an NFL-worst 4-12 last year and have missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons.

OUCH!

foty89
09-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by: LETSGOJETS

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Hey Roo,

Go Bolts!

SDRaiderH8er
09-17-2004, 11:34 AM
First off, how long has Oakland been dealing with this?

Now then we have debated this over and over and over,

People have gotten spoiled, spoiled with that Ticket Gaurentee. As long as the City had the Ticket Gaurantee, the games were always a sellout. People complained about that, and they complained loud enough.

The Chargers and the City start to negotiate, and the decided to remove that Gaurantee.

Now people are Complaining, and they are loud.

Now the Games are not a sellout, and now people can not watch them on TV.

This rule has been around for as long as the NFL and Television have had a Contract.

Back in the day Home games where not even broadcasted, people complained, they could not get a Ticket, and yet they could not watch the Game.

Quit complaining, buy a Ticket, go to the game.

Thats my $0.02

tupacalot
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
People have gotten spoiled, spoiled with that Ticket Gaurentee. As long as the City had the Ticket Gaurantee, the games were always a sellout. People complained about that, and they complained loud enough.

I can't imagine that Charger fans complained about this. However, those who did complain were tax-paying citizens who probably were not Charger fans and they had their reasons. While I can see why the blackout rules are in place, they are hardly consistent and there is stupidity attached to the whole thing. For example, why in the world is the game blacked out in LA??? I can assure you, good sir, that they show all the raider games up there, even the preseason games, and rarely if ever show Charger games. Yet it's Charger home territory? My f'in butt it is. Also, there's no reason not to extend the deadline until a later date, say Saturday, as opposed to the stupid Thursday they have it at now. I don't care if that's the FCC's fault or the NFL, either way its stupid. You say just bux tix and shut up. Well, that would suffice if this was a one time thing, but it's not going to be. So then do you advise we all buy season tix? Not only is that financially impractical, but also not very pragmatic for those who live in LA or further.

So I complain for two things. One, that they extend the sell-out deadlines. Two, they keep the blackout restrictions within San Diego County. And if they want to extend it to upper north, then damn well show the freaking Chargers and not the damn raiders, but they have not been doing that for many years now. I'm sorry, but I see no logical arguments against the two I have written. Ultimately the NFL owns the broadcasts and can do as they please. If it comes down to having at least some games or no games, I say no games as a matter of principle, and anyways if they're not showing the Chargers it doesn't matter much to me. If this has been happening for many years for other teams' fans than I was not aware and now selfishly feel their pain. But whatever, I'll probably have to go to the game. I don't know if that much solves my problem for the other 7 games though. Once I'm in UCLA. But whatever. Go Chargers. Yay.

SDRaiderH8er
09-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by: tupacalot

I can't imagine that Charger fans complained about this. However, those who did complain were tax-paying citizens who probably were not Charger fans and they had their reasons. While I can see why the blackout rules are in place, they are hardly consistent and there is stupidity attached to the whole thing. For example, why in the world is the game blacked out in LA??? I can assure you, good sir, that they show all the raider games up there, even the preseason games, and rarely if ever show Charger games. Yet it's Charger home territory? My f'in butt it is. Also, there's no reason not to extend the deadline until a later date, say Saturday, as opposed to the stupid Thursday they have it at now. I don't care if that's the FCC's fault or the NFL, either way its stupid. You say just bux tix and shut up. Well, that would suffice if this was a one time thing, but it's not going to be. So then do you advise we all buy season tix? Not only is that financially impractical, but also not very pragmatic for those who live in LA or further.

So I complain for two things. One, that they extend the sell-out deadlines. Two, they keep the blackout restrictions within San Diego County. And if they want to extend it to upper north, then damn well show the freaking Chargers and not the damn raiders, but they have not been doing that for many years now. I'm sorry, but I see no logical arguments against the two I have written. Ultimately the NFL owns the broadcasts and can do as they please. If it comes down to having at least some games or no games, I say no games as a matter of principle, and anyways if they're not showing the Chargers it doesn't matter much to me. If this has been happening for many years for other teams' fans than I was not aware and now selfishly feel their pain. But whatever, I'll probably have to go to the game. I don't know if that much solves my problem for the other 7 games though. Once I'm in UCLA. But whatever. Go Chargers. Yay.

First off guy, you are preaching to the Choir, I too am in the same Boat, I am not going to the Game, nor will I be able to watch it on TV.

The NFL is a Corporation that is worth how many Billions of Dollars.
Plus they are very Powerful, They have Contract’s with the Major Television Networks, and they know they have the luxury of getting what they want. They understand what Proprietary Rights are, but with no real Competition, then they will just sit back and watch what happens.

Al Davis claims he owns LA, so that’s probably the reason the Raider Game’s are televised there. Now as far as the Raiders up in Oakland they too have had to deal with blackout's and they have had to deal with them for a much longer time then us Charger fans. Even last Year, while they were the Defending AFC Champions.

tupacalot
09-17-2004, 01:20 PM
First off guy, you are preaching to the Choir, I too am in the same Boat, I am not going to the Game, nor will I be able to watch it on TV.

Well then guy, you are not understanding the point of my post. The essence is that we should not simply lay down and be content because the NFL is Microsoft. I'm not much for complaining although I may have done so a couple of times on this board, but I think others are certainly free to do it, considering this is a forum.

You have not given any legitimate arguments against what I presented. So I'm not sure how that's supposed to quell anything. Al Davis is the only person who thinks he owns LA, certainly not the NFL. Which is why there was something about a lawsuit on this. But anyways, what I plan to do is go and buy 29 buck tix and then go find nicer seats up in the view area. Work the system back.

And I hope that the Chargers win, this is a big game.

SDRaiderH8er
09-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by: tupacalot

Well then guy, you are not understanding the point of my post. The essence is that we should not simply lay down and be content because the NFL is Microsoft. I'm not much for complaining although I may have done so a couple of times on this board, but I think others are certainly free to do it, considering this is a forum.

You have not given any legitimate arguments against what I presented. So I'm not sure how that's supposed to quell anything. Al Davis is the only person who thinks he owns LA, certainly not the NFL. Which is why there was something about a lawsuit on this. But anyways, what I plan to do is go and buy 29 buck tix and then go find nicer seats up in the view area. Work the system back.

And I hope that the Chargers win, this is a big game.
You are trying to complain about rules that have been around for decades, Whine and complain all you want, its just going to fall on deaf ears!

The NFL Is bigger then Microsoft. I dont see the World coming to almost a complete stop when they bring out a new Product.

How much work is Done on Superbowl Sunday!

And during any other Sunday during the Season for that matter.

rule12b
09-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Blackout or not, calling all of Los Angeles and Orange Counties Charger's home territory, especially under the NFL guidelines is absurd. . .

Doc!
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
There is only one way for us fans to get control of this. Everyone across america boycotts football. The NFL would immediately find out what we wanted. How about getting rid of $11 for a 12oz beer at a football game. sheesh. I would guess 1 game would be enough. No listening to the game, no watching, no attending, no apparel purchases and no talk about it. Of course this won't happen, but it is the only way to get control. The NFL would crumble and it would truly be a historic event. I wonder how you would even organize something like that.

TrumpetDude
09-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I hear what you guys are saying about the blackouts but I do not think we will be blacked out in LA, Riverside andf Orange counties. I have done the zip code thing for my area - Temecula (Riverside County) and it says we are blacked out BUT this area has never been subject to the blackout rules. I attend all the home games as this is really not an issue for me. I can empathize with those who have physical or preferential qualms about attending live. I knew this would be the granddaddy of b!tch fests as it was prior to the ticket guarantee. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

shocku
09-17-2004, 02:32 PM
If I paid for sunday ticket for nothing I'm going to be pis**d!!!!!!!! I don't live in S.D. and it's not as if I'm ritch and can afford season tickets.That's just not right!!!!!!!! come on S.D. RESIDENTS, get you butts to the game!! I wish I lived in S.D.. I'll at least make to 3 games this year, that's my average.

TemeculaMike
09-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by: TrumpetDude
I hear what you guys are saying about the blackouts but I do not think we will be blacked out in LA, Riverside andf Orange counties. I have done the zip code thing for my area - Temecula (Riverside County) and it says we are blacked out BUT this area has never been subject to the blackout rules. I attend all the home games as this is really not an issue for me. I can empathize with those who have physical or preferential qualms about attending live. I knew this would be the granddaddy of b!tch fests as it was prior to the ticket guarantee. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Anybody in the San Diego and Los Angeles DMA (Designated Market Area) will be blacked-out. This means if you get CBS on Channel 2, NBC on Channel 4, and Fox on Channel 11 (i.e. Los Angeles TV) you will be blacked out as well. The fact it has never happened in the past means nothing because in the past there was the "Ticket Guarantee." Tha Ticket Guarantee meant every game was a sell-out, thus, every game was televised.

As a Sunday Ticket holder in Temecula (LA TV Market), I will not be able to watch the home games, unless I drive an 1 hour to Qualcomm/Old Town, pay $$$$ for gas, parking/trolly, tickets, meals and drinks just to sit in tiny little plastic seats (I am 6'3 - 240), watch only half the game because the idiot in front of me has to stand-up for every play and turn a 3 hour game into a 8 hour day. This will not happen (in my case), I value spending time with my children much more than losing an entire Sunday to the Chargers.

tupacalot
09-17-2004, 02:57 PM
As a Sunday Ticket holder in Temecula (LA TV Market), I will not be able to watch the home games, unless I drive an 1 hour to Qualcomm/Old Town, pay $$$$ for gas, parking/trolly, tickets, meals and drinks just to sit in tiny little plastic seats (I am 6'3 - 240), watch only half the game because the idiot in front of me has to stand-up for every play and turn a 3 hour game into a 8 hour day. This will not happen (in my case), I value spending time with my children much more than losing an entire Sunday to the Chargers.

Shhhhhhh. Don't complain.

shocku
09-17-2004, 03:03 PM

Anybody in the San Diego and Los Angeles DMA (Designated Market Area) will be blacked-out. This means if you get CBS on Channel 2, NBC on Channel 4, and Fox on Channel 11 (i.e. Los Angeles TV) you will be blacked out as well. The fact it has never happened in the past means nothing because in the past there was the "Ticket Guarantee." Tha Ticket Guarantee meant every game was a sell-out, thus, every game was televised.

I agree mike,
I think there going to lose alot of fans because of this.It's hard for me to say because I've been a charger fan all my life but it makes me want to find another team for the simple fact is that if I can't make the drive like you said every sunday and if I can't watch them on "sunday ticket" which I had to pay extra for, why are we fans?? why support a team you can never see??

TrumpetDude
09-17-2004, 03:16 PM

I understand the concepts of the black-outs, my point is that BEFORE the ticket guarantee - Temecula was NEVER subject to the black-out rules. Again, pre-ticket guarantee days which makes this a bit strange and a FIRST.
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TrumpetDude
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by: shocku

I agree mike,

I think there going to lose alot of fans because of this.It's hard for me to say because I've been a charger fan all my life but it makes me want to find another team for the simple fact is that if I can't make the drive like you said every sunday and if I can't watch them on "sunday ticket" which I had to pay extra for, why are we fans?? why support a team you can never see??

We will not lose more fans and quite the contrary. If you attended the Chargers games before the ticket guarantee, you will remember we had MORE Chargers fans in the stands who will wish to see the game just because they can not see it on TV. I have been attending the games since the 60's and have seen this cycle of supposition and posturing to no avail. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

MoveitMister
09-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by: LETSGOJETS

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!If this is the way you want to post, please take it to the Smack Shack. Otherwise you may find it increasingly hard to get in here. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

And please remove our bolt from your avatar.

Doc!
09-17-2004, 07:27 PM
ALL RIGHT MODERATOR. WOOHOO!!!!!!! 3 cheers!

shocku
09-17-2004, 07:50 PM
trumpetdude, that's why they were searching for other marketable cities right!!I've been a fan long enough to know that's horse sence.When ever a team like cheifs,raiders,greenbay or denver come to town were always out numbered,ALWAYS!!! and tupacalot, we who live in B.F.E. and don't have the luxury you do from living down the street from the stadium DO have the right to complain.Homers do NOT have the right to complain cause that is there market.

tupacalot
09-17-2004, 07:57 PM
and tupacalot, we who live in B.F.E. and don't have the luxury you do from living down the street from the stadium DO have the right to complain.Homers do NOT have the right to complain cause that is there market.

Uh, I hardly live down the street. Try 35 miles. But anyways, I will be in the same position once I'm in college. But I will be going to the game.

TrumpetDude
09-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by: shocku
trumpetdude, that's why they were searching for other marketable cities right!!I've been a fan long enough to know that's horse sence.When ever a team like cheifs,raiders,greenbay or denver come to town were always out numbered,ALWAYS!!! and tupacalot, we who live in B.F.E. and don't have the luxury you do from living down the street from the stadium DO have the right to complain.Homers do NOT have the right to complain cause that is there market.

No - the Chargers fans have NOT ALWAYS been outnumbered at home - maybe lately but NOT always. I bet you never attended a game when Air Coryell was in town or you would not make that comment. If you are complaining.....complain for the right reasons, I am blind or disabled, it is my preference not to be surrounded by idiots or I prefer my Directv. Being a homer or down the street from the stadium is pretty much ridiculous to state we have no right to complain.

Dude...shake yourself man !!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TrumpetDude
09-17-2004, 07:59 PM
BTW: I am 75 miles from the Stadium but I make the trek to every game. When I was out in El Centro i made the 120 mile trek and that is one way so I am a little farther than just "down the street" i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

JerryinCA
09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
As others have said, buying a ticket and shutting up makes sense if you live in San Diego county but for all of us Charger fans further north it really is a bad rule. We don't even have a team in LA so we have no choice but to look out of town for someone to root for, I happen to be a proud and loyal Charger fan. Having said that I think it's rediculous for the NFL to expect people to drive 2-3 hours each way and spend so much money on tickets, gas, food, parking and the rest. They should be happy some of us try to do it 2 or 3 times a season. If I lived in SD I would have season tickets but I do not and I'm not someone who has tons of cash lying around to go buy season tickets and incur the expense of driving down to San Diego 8 times in 3 months. The NFL really should treat the fans better and realize that if they absolutely have to have a black out rule it should only count in the county in which the game is being played and no further, otherwise you will never gain more outside interest in the team and you won't have as many people willing to make the trip down when they do.

As for direct tv NFL ticket, when I first purchased it 2 months ago my zip code did not show up as being in any NFL teams territory, after I ordered it I happened to check again about 3 weeks later and all of the sudden now I am in the Chargers home territory. I had even checked some orange county zip codes for friends and they weren't listed at first either but now they are. This service should not be subject to black outs as it is a premium purchase and costs 200.00 which is the price of seeing a few games unless you get club seats. The NFL makes their money either way and they still find a way to screw over the fans and it's just not right.

Doc!
09-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Jerry you are right on.

shocku
09-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Thank you jerryinca, exatctly my point.Trumpetdude,good for you! Obviously you have the time and money to do so but many of us do not! and it's not up to people in the L.A., ORANGE, RIVERSIDE, SAN BERNADINO countys to provide that home stand.Cause even though were fans and TRY to make it when we can the truth of it is it's NOT our home!! these are very right reasons to complain and trust me when I say this can have an impact on the chargers unless the homers get involved.We can only do so much!!!!!