PDA

View Full Version : Rivers

Psquared
09-19-2004, 11:19 PM
In the end of this qb drama it will be pointless if Rivers doesn't learn from brees' good and bad games.

Tomlinson21
09-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Point number 1 that Rivers probably figured out:
Nothing in the NFL is guaranteed.

Bolts4Life21
09-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Well the second point he needs to learn, is that he isn't gonna be making that kinda money riding the sidelines, so don't get too used to it, pay attention, cuz you'll be in soon.

HellsBells
09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
I love the avatar Bolts4Life21

Not as good as my noobish avatar ofcourse though!

WHITELIGHTNING
09-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Lets all just face the facts, BREES has not shown any IMPROVMENT in his play, none, zero, zilch, nada or however you want to say it. Just be honest with yourself for a minute and think about the good QB's in the NFL, they all were able to show marked improvement from 1st, 2nd and third years, Brees has not demonstrated he even has a grasp of the offense hes been in for, four years at this point. I feel with Brees playing we will lose the same amount of games as with Rivers playing. Although I believe we actually would win more with Rivers in there, just a hunch. I dont hate brees or dislike him, hell I dont even know the guy. It's just that he doesn't have the "IT" and is shows badly

coryhartford
09-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING
Lets all just face the facts, BREES has not shown any IMPROVMENT in his play, none, zero, zilch, nada or however you want to say it. Just be honest with yourself for a minute and think about the good QB's in the NFL, they all were able to show marked improvement from 1st, 2nd and third years, Brees has not demonstrated he even has a grasp of the offense hes been in for, four years at this point. I feel with Brees playing we will lose the same amount of games as with Rivers playing. Although I believe we actually would win more with Rivers in there, just a hunch. I dont hate brees or dislike him, hell I dont even know the guy. It's just that he doesn't have the "IT" and is shows badly

I could not agree more. When you watch you just know. You have the feeling in the pit of your stomach that its just not going to happen; kind of like the exact opposite of the feeling you'd get when Montana would come on the field in the 4th Qtr. down by 7, or when the Lakers were down 14 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th qttr and Magic was running the offense. You KNEW something was going to happen; that they would make a run at it. They sometimes fell short but left everything on the court/field doing it. I don't see that from Drewphus.

Duke
09-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by: coryhartford

Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING

I could not agree more. When you watch you just know. You have the feeling in the pit of your stomach that its just not going to happen; kind of like the exact opposite of the feeling you'd get when Montana would come on the field in the 4th Qtr. down by 7, or when the Lakers were down 14 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th qttr and Magic was running the offense. You KNEW something was going to happen; that they would make a run at it. They sometimes fell short but left everything on the court/field doing it. I don't see that from Drewphus.

Yes, and I'm afraid most of his teammates probably feel the same.

mcc2mobile
09-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm sure Rivers is about ready to try the big sand box now.

Sitting Brees one game for safety purposes and letting Flutie /Rivers play would be a welcome shift if it produces a win.

Brees is still not Brady/Montana material and he might know that.

Natedawg01
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
We NEED to get Rivers into the games. We spent a 1st rounder on him, so it's obvious that he's going to be leading the chargers in the future. Brees is too inconsistant and just hasn't shown he has what it takes to be a great QB. He's trying hard but as long as he keeps throwing the game away to the opposing team, we won't win.

I'd give brees one more game. If he makes the same mistakes he's made for the past number of years (IE bad dicisions, interceptions,etc) then it's time to sit him and get Rivers in there to get the kid some experience.

Next year we've got 2 1st rounders. My bet is that instead of using them both, the bolts' will trade one away for extra pics. Getting a 1st round WR to give Rivers a good target would help us make a serious playoff run.

mikeg0606
09-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Im a huge Rivers fan, and yes we did spend a 1st round pick on him, and yes he IS going to be the future of the Chargers. Still you cant throw him into the mix to soon. He has to get his footing before he goes head into leading us to the Superbowl. I think the Charger staff is fine in letting Brees and Flutie show Phil the ropes for a few games. Granted I dont think he needs much more in the mental aspect but he can pick up a few tricks as to the speed the NFL is played at and maybe even Brees, and especially Flutie, can show Rivers a trick or two that will help him out. Remember guys, hes only a Rookie, and as amazing as Phil is he needs a little more time before he can be thrust into it all.

Duke
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
True

Boltman29
09-22-2004, 02:37 PM
I've been a die-hard Drew backer. But if we lose this game vs. the Broncos and Drew has another bad game, then there is absolutely no reason to not let Rivers finish the rest of the way. Let him learn by first-hand experience instead of second-hand description. Then we can draft Mike Williams next April after we sign our NEW head coach... ; )

pjrbat
09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Rivers has size, he has poise, he has a quick release, he is a natural leader, look how he first came in here after the selection and the signing, He has the mental ability to lead this team, Comparing Brees now with Rivers now the wins and losses would be exactly the same this year and everyone knows it, Lets stop wasting time on a small, inaccurate, fumbling, less talented nice guy and lets develop a leader, a winner this year, he will finish strong, he will be ready every one will see.

HellsBells
09-22-2004, 04:46 PM
If Rivers goes in now ( and Brees is my favorite player) he won't have any more sucess than the other QBs are having, no O-Line or WRs to throw to.

rule12b
09-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I disagree completely. His opening preseason drive after 4 practices was stronger than anything Brees has shown us. Yes, preseason doesn't mean jack. But even if his numbers don't surpass what "the other QB's are having", he'll be gaining experience and if we gotta tough out some losses, better to get something from it (i.e. experience for a young QB) than waste it on a future journeyman.

Plus, at least now if Rivers is a total bust, we can still go back to Brees. Once Brees is gone though, we are stuck.

geekster
09-22-2004, 08:05 PM
OK, I just said this in the General Discussion Forum - but I'm ticked off enough to repeat it here. Where we DON'T need PR is setting down at the end of the bench by himself and I was frankly SHOCKED that he would let his fans see him doing that during the Jets game! He sure as heck isn't learning anything worthwhile down there!!!!

He needs to be issued a stopwatch and a clipboard and told you WILL remain standing in the vicinity of the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator and you will help with managing the @#$#@$!! clock if nothing else! PR ain't getting paid to set on his butt on the end of the damn bench like some borderline player waiting for his turn to get on the field on teams... GET HOT! Stay on your feet and keep your brain engaged all the time - you are getting paid to LEARN not to meditate!

His only defense is that he thought "setting on the bench" meant literally to do just that I guess - having been a starter every place he's been the kid doesn't know that's just a figure of speech? Doug should go stomp hell out of his foot every time he sees him over there!

Natedawg01
09-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by: HellsBells
If Rivers goes in now ( and Brees is my favorite player) he won't have any more sucess than the other QBs are having, no O-Line or WRs to throw to.

Yup, this is correct. But Brees isn't going to lead us anywhere if he continues to have games like he did last sunday. Tt's better to get PR in there and gaining experience and getting used to the speed and aspects of the game that you just can't teach. All rookie QBs struggle, and even those who have sat out a year struggle....lets get the PR struggles out this year rather than next year.

TrumpetDude
09-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by: rule12b
I disagree completely. His opening preseason drive after 4 practices was stronger than anything Brees has shown us. Yes, preseason doesn't mean jack. But even if his numbers don't surpass what "the other QB's are having", he'll be gaining experience and if we gotta tough out some losses, better to get something from it (i.e. experience for a young QB) than waste it on a future journeyman.

Plus, at least now if Rivers is a total bust, we can still go back to Brees. Once Brees is gone though, we are stuck.

Exactly !!!! Time to put Rivers in the game. Big Ben and Eli have had their reps and Rivers was the most ready Q.B. to start. Brees is gone in 4 weeks and Rivers needs the reps. This is just shy of a no-brainer. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

mikeg0606
10-06-2004, 07:34 PM
I hold no respect for eli especially after saying he wouldnt want to play for the Chargers. hes goign to get paid large amouts of money to play the sport he supposedly loves. I wouldnt complain. But thats besides the point. I said before that Phil needs to stand back and watch, and after the up and down preformances of Brees, I say put him in. I have a feeling hes ready for the NFL, especially with Big Ben doing so well up there. I think we need to have consitancy at QB so we know what aspect of the game we need to work on. We cant have that constiancy that a team needs with Brees in the pocket. Put Phil in, hes got the intelegents and the skills to lead the Chargers. I have a feeling the recievers would even look a bit better with Phil out there.

rrogers
10-09-2004, 02:06 AM
The one thing that gets me worried is operation "Leafgate" I was fooled by the Leaf trade and even defended his outbust because of his tallent. Rivers sure looks like the real thing and I sure hope he is but I am just a little gun shy until he actually gets in their. Boy do I wish the NFL had a money back garantee.

tmvalence4
10-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by: TrumpetDude

Exactly !!!! Time to put Rivers in the game. Big Ben and Eli have had their reps and Rivers was the most ready Q.B. to start. Brees is gone in 4 weeks and Rivers needs the reps. This is just shy of a no-brainer.

Is Brees starting this week???? How did he do against the Titians in week 4???

tmvalence4
10-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by: geekster
OK, I just said this in the General Discussion Forum - but I'm ticked off enough to repeat it here. Where we DON'T need PR is setting down at the end of the bench by himself and I was frankly SHOCKED that he would let his fans see him doing that during the Jets game! He sure as heck isn't learning anything worthwhile down there!!!!

He needs to be issued a stopwatch and a clipboard and told you WILL remain standing in the vicinity of the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator and you will help with managing the @#$#@$!! clock if nothing else! PR ain't getting paid to set on his butt on the end of the damn bench like some borderline player waiting for his turn to get on the field on teams... GET HOT! Stay on your feet and keep your brain engaged all the time - you are getting paid to LEARN not to meditate!

His only defense is that he thought "setting on the bench" meant literally to do just that I guess - having been a starter every place he's been the kid doesn't know that's just a figure of speech? Doug should go stomp hell out of his foot every time he sees him over there!

Has Rivers done anything to correct this situation?

rrogers
10-09-2004, 03:54 AM
The game is far too fast for Rivers right now but if the Chargers start losing games yes put him in to get the newness knocked off.

tmvalence4
10-09-2004, 04:05 AM
Lets just win,the rest will work it self out!!

rrogers
10-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by: tmvalence4
Lets just win,the rest will work it self out!!

amen

tmvalence4
10-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Whoes going to the GAME!!!!????

tmvalence4
10-10-2004, 04:46 AM
I REALLY BELIVE we are going to shock a lot of people tomorrow!

WHITELIGHTNING
10-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I still rather Rivers be playing, yes the wins are nice but face it Brees will be gone. All the excuses I hear for not playing Rivers must eminate from where human waste is extruded from.Look at Big Ben all you ney sayers, he is doing just as good if not better than Brees. The Chargers are yet again wasting the talents of another young man.

Dstorm2004
10-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Look what he is learning is that all you have to do is throw it to Gates and LT 15 times a game and hit one of the WR's around 3 times a game. Dont throw a pick and we win.

The real playmakers on offense this year are Gates, LT and Jesse. I dont call Brees checking down to his TE and RB every play amazing QB performance.

mcc2mobile
10-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Well we did shock them( jags). Brees was certainly a good part of that. Keep him going, What I wish we should is give Rivers some play time when we are 3 touchdowns up. That is pretty safe!

KTPWolf
10-12-2004, 06:09 PM
How come they're not giving Rivers play time with a huge lead? I had convinced myself that Rivers would get to play when the Chargers had a big lead they couldn't screw up -- 3 touchdowns surely is enough. What gives?

WHITELIGHTNING
10-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by: rrogers
The one thing that gets me worried is operation "Leafgate" I was fooled by the Leaf trade and even defended his outbust because of his tallent. Rivers sure looks like the real thing and I sure hope he is but I am just a little gun shy until he actually gets in their. Boy do I wish the NFL had a money back garantee.

Comparing Rivers with Leaf, is like comparing an appple to an avacodo. There is no comparison.

geekster
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM

I now have it on good authority that PR was wearing a receiver in his ear - (I couldn't see it) - and was paying attention to every call made... Just the same, what he was showing to the world in those first couple of games was bad PR (er.. Public Relations not Phillip Rivers i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif )... Regardless of that - after Marty elevated him to No. 2 QB, he has been right THERE each and every down showing a lot more interest and support of the team. After all, with that decision - he is literally one snap away from going into the game...

Another thing, again in his defense, the kid just didn't know how to act... I had forgotten that he had NEVER attended a pro football game until he did so in a Charger uniform... Apparently he IS a fast learner and has picked up on the fact that "appearances" are important to some of us long-starved Charger fans.... Not to mention the guy who is paying the big bucks.

GO CHARGERS!!!

(Hmmm... a few wins and "crow" doesn't taste all that bad. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif )..

riverhead
10-13-2004, 03:54 PM

I now have it on good authority that PR was wearing a receiver in his ear - (I couldn't see it) - and was paying attention to every call made... Just the same, what he was showing to the world in those first couple of games was bad PR (er.. Public Relations not Phillip Rivers )... Regardless of that - after Marty elevated him to No. 2 QB, he has been right THERE each and every down showing a lot more interest and support of the team. After all, with that decision - he is literally one snap away from going into the game...

Another thing, again in his defense, the kid just didn't know how to act... I had forgotten that he had NEVER attended a pro football game until he did so in a Charger uniform... Apparently he IS a fast learner and has picked up on the importance that "appearances" are important to some of us long-starved Charger fans.... Not to mention the guy who is paying the big bucks.

GO CHARGERS!!!

(Hmmm... a few wins and "crow" doesn't taste all that bad. )..

Good Call Geekster! By the way, he keeps a clipboard in his head.

Riversrat
10-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Another thing, again in his defense, the kid just didn't know how to act... I had forgotten that he had NEVER attended a pro football game until he did so in a Charger uniform... Apparently he IS a fast learner and has picked up on the fact that "appearances" are important to some of us long-starved Charger fans.... Not to mention the guy who is paying the big bucks.

In addition to that, this is the first time in his career that he is not the starting QB.

spysnipedis
10-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by: rrogers

yea if the NFL had a money back guarantee, then teams wouldn't be afraid to take chances. Chargers should include a money back guarantee in contracts i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

desertdevil
10-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Thank you, He was great in college, but this is the NFL, I will wait and see, before I pass judgement.
Brees still is our best chance at the post season. Cheer on the team not a just a player!!!

goretek
Rivers will be the best QB this team has had since Fouts (Sorry Stan)

spysnipedis
he yet hasn't gotten a snap in the NFL, preseason don't count ( he sucked ). After i see a game with him in it. i would tell you if he kicks butt, or should have his butt kicked.

Bolts4Life21
Ya'll come on back now! Yeeeeeeeeehaw!

1960BoltFan
I like Rivers a lot! I think he will be great. He showed in mini camp that he was better than Brees, Lemon or Flutie. I bet he wishes he would have signed the contract offer at the beginning of camp now. This is why we Charger fans were irate that he turned down a great offer only to sign a lesser one ,at a time when he dictated, by his lack of practice time, that he would be nothing but an expensive back up this year. What was he thinking? (He wasn't!) (The **** greedy agent!);(
Who knows, maybe Brees goes down this game and he starts the rest of the year. He will be a great QB.

bwaters17
RIVERS FOR PRES! Philip kicks butt. Ya'll haven't seen him play much. Ya'll don't have a clue.

yodafro
10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Rivers is ready.

riverhead
10-14-2004, 03:05 PM

Exactly !!!! Time to put Rivers in the game. Big Ben and Eli have had their reps and Rivers was the most ready Q.B. to start. Brees is gone in 4 weeks and Rivers needs the reps. This is just shy of a no-brainer.

I third that emotion. Sure "The Kid" threw a few intercepts, a few intentional grounding calls but he's got'em where he wants 'em now. I just wanta see the guy play!

desertdevil
10-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Even at the cost of missing the playoffs again? Stick with Brees and let PR take over next year.
I am still not convinced of Rivers being the best rookie QB, Big ben is in because Maddox is hurt, and Eli
Will I just don't like him, He should have taken a lesson from Tillman, big baby. Rivers was third on my depth chart this year in the draft. Big ben being number one.

chitownchargers
10-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Who's to say that the coach isn't on the hot seat. This is his third year at coach, he's coming off an 8-8 season, and a 4-12 season, respectively. Owners are not as patient as they used to be, and Marty is going with whoever give the Bolts the best chance to win games. And as much as people hate it Brees is winning games at the moment. But that could change though.

:lt

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by: riverhead
I just wanta see the guy play!

Id rather see us WIN!

BTW, lets not call him "The Kid", thats just a stupid nickname no matter who it is for

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:14 PM
I third that emotion. Sure "The Kid" threw a few intercepts, a few intentional grounding calls but he's got'em where he wants 'em now. I just wanta see the guy play!

I want to see Rivers play too. But I don't want to do it at the risk of interrupting the purest offensive production I've seen from this team since Dan Fouts was QB. And I'm serious when I say that. Even when we had Humphries/Means/Martin and a pretty tough offensive line in 1992-1995, I can't remember seeing the offense as explosive as it's been in the last 2 weeks--and in week 1. The scary thing is that this offense looks more balanced than the Air Coryell offenses, yet more explosive than the Ralph Friedgen offenses under Bobby Ross.

You're going to have a really tough time convincing a lot of us--after ten years of offensive futility--that we need to make a change right when the offense appears to be taking off.

TrumpetDude
10-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Balanced is getting the ball to the WR's more and spreading the ball around. We are not balanced on offense - we are getting closer but I do not see WR production to concur our offense is anything but balanced. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Balanced is getting the ball to the WR's more and spreading the ball around. We are not balanced on offense - we are getting closer but I do not see WR production to concur our offense is anything but balanced.

220 yards through the air and 170 yards rushing. Balanced.

I agree we that we need better wide receivers, though. We have Reche and pretty much no one else.

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Trumpy, my BROTHER...

You've been watching this team longer than I have. Surely you can appreciate the GODLY 8:2 TD to Interception ratio Brees has thrown up thusfar. Surely it makes you tingle with joy to see that his offense is about 100000000 times better than it was in the redzone. And you and I both know that's where the paycheck gets cashed for an offense--by scoring touchdowns in the redzone. And this team has been AWESOME in the red zone. And a LOT of that has to do with Drew making the right reads and throwing it to the right guy!

TrumpetDude
10-16-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
Trumpy, my BROTHER...

You've been watching this team longer than I have. Surely you can appreciate the GODLY 8:2 TD to Interception ratio Brees has thrown up thusfar. Surely it makes you tingle with joy to see that his offense is about 100000000 times better than it was in the redzone. And you and I both know that's where the paycheck gets cashed for an offense--by scoring touchdowns in the redzone. And this team has been AWESOME in the red zone. And a LOT of that has to do with Drew making the right reads and throwing it to the right guy!

I am way happy with our stats so far with the exception of {Q.B. sacks and WR production}.

The WR's need some serious production here to open up Gates and LT for the rest of the year and a playoff run. We can make a stab with the WR's we have BUT I wish we had a proven VET WR speedster to make a serious offensive push.

Maybe A.J. will give us all a nice Christmas present to hug as Chargers fans in the next few days.

Santa Claus may come early for Bolt fans ? i/expressions/present.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gifi/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Thunderstruck
10-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Well I agree on the two stats that show weaknesses on the Bolts. I just think it has more to do with the fact that our wide receivers, as a unit, are not that great. Reche is okay, but I think he still has a ways to go. Beyond Reche...the cupboard is pretty dry.

chitownchargers
10-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Just think if Boston hadn't turned out to be such a waste of time, but then again he's hurt this year. Perhaps they could trade for a decent WR. But I don't think it should be Chatman, who's been mentioned in trade rumors. I think the 1-2 punch at RB will help as the season progresses.

riverhead
10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: Rip

I just wanta see the guy play!

Id rather see us WIN!

BTW, lets not call him "The Kid", thats just a stupid nickname no matter who it is for

Let The Kid play and you'll win.

riverhead
10-17-2004, 06:40 PM

I want to see Rivers play too. But I don't want to do it at the risk of interrupting the purest offensive production I've seen from this team since Dan Fouts was QB. And I'm serious when I say that. Even when we had Humphries/Means/Martin and a pretty tough offensive line in 1992-1995, I can't remember seeing the offense as explosive as it's been in the last 2 weeks--and in week 1. The scary thing is that this offense looks more balanced than the Air Coryell offenses, yet more explosive than the Ralph Friedgen offenses under Bobby Ross.

You're going to have a really tough time convincing a lot of us--after ten years of offensive futility--that we need to make a change right when the offense appears to be taking off.

Very valid points Thunderstruck. I agree. I want to see Phillip play BUT I have'nt stated that we need to replace Drew. Drew is playing great and the team is clicking. Even with today's loss I still think Drew is playing very well. One observation I did make today is that when were in 3rd down situations, the pass we chose was usually one that was behind the first down line. We were stopped on more than one occasion there and had to give up possession because the ball was not thrown beyond the first down line. I understand that perhaps our downfield receivers may have been bottled up in these situations.

As I look at the game as a whole, Drew is playing just about as good as anybody in the game, with the exception of Roethlisberger. I even think that he is better than he thinks he is. I'd like to see him go downtown more. Given Drew's situation and the pressure he has been under there's no way I take him out now, but regardless of that it is a little difficult for me as a big PR fan to watch him sit. Drew has paid his dues and is finally developing very nicely. So, I am pulling for Drew to knock in a 4 touchdown lead in every game so Rivers can get some play time also. He needs to ease into the pro game.

Go Chargers!

radwang
10-17-2004, 07:45 PM
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trumpy, my BROTHER...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am way happy with our stats so far with the exception of {Q.B. sacks and WR production}.

The WR's need some serious production here to open up Gates and LT for the rest of the year and a playoff run. We can make a stab with the WR's we have BUT I wish we had a proven VET WR speedster to make a serious offensive push.

Maybe A.J. will give us all a nice Christmas present to hug as Chargers fans in the next few days.

Santa Claus may come early for Bolt fans ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Brees is doing quite well for a QB with no superstar WR to throw to. Let's spend the $ and get him some help. Our WR are good but no sure thing go to guy except for TE Gates when it comes to passing.

HellsBells
10-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I just wish instead of Rivers we took Fitzgerald.

HellsBells
10-17-2004, 09:44 PM
i/expressions/light.gif I think I am gunna go trade Rivers for Fitzgerald on Madden... i/expressions/light.gif

spysnipedis
10-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: HellsBells
I think I am gunna go trade Rivers for Fitzgerald on Madden...

you go girl i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

madden is where fantasy teams come alive. People probably stack the teams..

kingporterblood
10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
We need some blow out games by the third Qtr so we can put Rivers in and get his feet wet, on the job training so to speak I`d rather see that than to be losing and he was forced in or by a Brees injury its better to come in on a positive team aura.