PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in need of a veteran QB

Capfan
09-20-2004, 06:48 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/45688/

They're going to have to go with Big Ben now that Tommy's out 6 weeks. And he doesn't look ready. Unless they plan on throwing the season away, they're going to be looking to add someone. Tim Couch is probably the best unsigned guy available. But he'd need time to learn the system and might not be an improvement over an inexperienced Ben R.

Fluite could win with that team though. They just need someone to complete a few passes and not make mistakes. I'd deal him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder next year.

Critter
09-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by: Capfan

Fluite could win with that team though. They just need someone to complete a few passes and not make mistakes. I'd deal him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder next year.

A second rounder for a 42 yr old?

Dude, no way in hell that is going to happen.

Thunderstruck
09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
If we get a 3rd-rounder for any of our QB's (except Rivers, of course) I'll be ecstatic. A 4th or 5th rounder or maybe a conditional pick is a more realistic goal.

Capfan
09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by: Critter

Originally posted by: Capfan

A second rounder for a 42 yr old?

Dude, no way in hell that is going to happen.

You're probably right. But 42 or not, when it comes to veteran QB's it's a seller's market.

I just can't see the Steelers throwing the season away, which they'll be doing if they go with Big Ben right now. They need a veteran in order to make a run for the playoffs. Unlike our beloved Bolts, they have a very real chance making it to the playoffs and advancing. Good line, running backs, WR's and Defense. Just in dire need of a QB. And a one year rental player is all they probably want.

BreesLightning
09-20-2004, 06:57 PM
i would be happy to get a 4th for Flutie

SDtwin
09-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Ben isn't that bad. They'll probaly keep him in acouple games and see how he does before they go for a trade. Besides If your gonna get a pick, why not trade to a losing team for a higher pick i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Just kidding. Any extra pick is good.

IgorUnchained
09-21-2004, 01:17 AM
I didnt think that Roethlesberger did that bad. He had a pick if I remember right but he also got the ball down the field. He is as much the Steelers future as Rivers is the Chargers'. Im sure they will give Ben his snaps and let him play.
Now that they have the 2 pronged running game with Staley and Bettis -- and add the trio of Ward, Burress, and Randle El - youve got yourself a fairly potent offense. Im sure Cleo Lemon could make a very respectable showing if he had a team around him like that.

maverjoe
09-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Why would the Steelers with Roeth need a veteral qb less than us with Rivers?
By the way, IgorUnchained...great screen name.

WHITELIGHTNING
09-21-2004, 10:25 AM
I dont think the Steelers would even take Rivers at this point. I watched that game waiting for the Bolts to come on and big Ben did just fine.

IronMountain1960
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I would trade any of them but Rivers for a WR KR, in a heart beat.

BlueandGoldRush
09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Brees for Buress, straight up, IronMountain? I'd jump all over that.i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Chargeroo
09-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by: IronMountain
I would trade any of them but Rivers for a WR KR, in a heart beat.Me too, but if I was the Steelers GM I wouldn't be interested in Brees or Flutie. Ben Roethlisberger is the future for them and he's probably just as good as Tommy already. I'd just play him if I was their GM.

foober
09-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Don't count Steelers G Alan Faneca among those who are excited by the fact that rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger will be taking the reins while QB Tommy Maddox is injured. "No, it's not exciting," Faneca said. "Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?"

foober
09-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Word around the league is that Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown soon could be benched by coach Dennis Green.

The problem, of course, is that the Cards don't have a viable alternative at No. 2. The only options are Shaun King and rookie John Navarre.

We wouldn't be shocked to see Green add rocket-armed Jeff George to the mix, given that George had perhaps his most effective season as a pro in 1999 for Green's Vikings.

Either way, Green needs to do something, if for no reason other than to avert a mutiny. We're told that, during Sunday's game, players were yelling on the sideline to "take [McCown] the f--k out of the game

Johndbr
09-21-2004, 12:57 PM
I really find it humerus that you guys still think a trade is possible. We only have 2 QBs that can reasonably consider for a trade, Rivers and Lemons. No one is going to trade for a 42 year old back up. Just not going to happen and Brees is in his last year of his contract, with no expectation to be resigned next year. If another team gets him into camp today, it would be 3 weeks before he could be considered a OK back up and probably 4 or 5 before he could start. Not going to happen. They will wait till the end of the year and get him for free. If the Chargers had any goal for getting something for Brees, they blew it by not trading him at the beginning of the year.

Ok, you now have Rivers and Lemon. I find it hard to believe that they will trade Rivers, is it impossible? No, but the odds are in the billions. If Drew can turn this team around and head to a Strong play off bid Then and only then could it happen, but considering last weekend, I find it hard to see it happening.

So the reality is Lemons is our only tradable QB. I would love to see the guy get a chance to start somewhere and the fact that the Chargers kept him on the roster instead of waiving him for the practice squad shows they were afraid some one would take him. Look for Lemons to be traded if anyone. Without a heck of a disturbance this year, I do not see that happening either. I think you will find that next year you will have Rivers starting, Lemons Back up number 1 and Flutie back up number 2.

I think you will see Brees probably with the faiders if Turner survives this year or maybe with the Steelers. I think he would fly high in Cowers offense. There are several other teams that he might go to, but I think those are your front runners.

However a trade at this point during the year, they would have to be daft to do it and they meaning the other teams. At this point I would not put anything past the Chargers management.

John B.

Capfan
09-21-2004, 06:03 PM
The Bolts kept 4 QB's on the roster for a reason, and that reason was they become more valueable as tradebait as the season wears on because of the injuries that happen every year. Rivers is our future. He's not going anywhere and thank god for that. Lemon was kept because they weren't sure he'd pass through waivers to get to the practice squad and they've already invested 2 years in him and like what they see. IMO what was left unsaid was that they're not expecting to have either Brees or Flutie here next year and that makes Lemon even more important to keep around. They're going to have to go shopping for one QB already as it is.

That leaves Brees and Flutie. Brees flat out won the job and that's why he's out there. Rather have him taking a beating than Rivers. The kid is learning from the sidelines and will get spot duty as the season wears on. And I agree that Brees is the least likely of the 2 to get traded because of the fact he's a free agent next year and not exactly the guy you want to build your franchise around.

Flutie on the other hand is very valueable. He's a proven veteran who counts virtually nothing against the cap and will most likely retire next year. He'll fit into any system because he's learned so many already. And I disagree with those who say Big Ben is ready. I watched the game and he was a deer in the headlights. As he put it "I didn't just get my feet wet it was the whole leg". The kid is going to be a good one, but he won't lead the Steelers anywhere this year. He needs to learn from the sidelines just like Rivers. Flutie could drive that car. Not that he's special, alot of veterans could. They're even talking about Jeff freaking George!!!

geekster
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
The Pittsburgh Head Coach will probably want to stand pat with what he has. Given the injury to his starting QB (not the coach's fault) he now has the opportunity to get his Rook QB a ton of valuable experience while he, himself, remains blameless with the fans and everybody else for the resulting lost games.... Pittsburgh's ownership/management may have a different view.

Personally I don't see the Chargers GM "shopping" anybody around. If the right, (non-division), team comes up with the right offer/trade package - then anything is for sale, but in the mean time.....

Capfan
09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by: geekster
The Pittsburgh Head Coach will probably want to stand pat with what he has. Given the injury to his starting QB (not the coach's fault) he now has the opportunity to get his Rook QB a ton of valuable experience while he, himself, remains blameless with the fans and everybody else for the resulting lost games.... Pittsburgh's ownership/management may have a different view......

The only thing that makes me think that they might make a move is that they really have a good shot at making the playoff this year and advancing. They have a solid defense and are set on offense everywhere except at QB. (and that was the case when Maddox was healthy i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif) It seems a waste for them to throw the season away w/ a rookie QB who wasn't able to beat out Maddox to start the season and looked overwhelmed coming off the bench this Sunday. (albeit against one of the leagues best defenses)

We'll see if I'm wrong, but my bet is they make a move for a veteran.

coryhartford
09-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Brees for Buress, straight up, IronMountain? I'd jump all over that.

Drool; Drool; Drool. Fantasy I think but think what that would do to our WR corps. Buress would be out of Ward's shadow and he would be the man in SD. Rivers to Burress!!! I like the sound of that.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

flutehead7
09-22-2004, 12:21 AM
brees would look good in black and gold

TrumpetDude
09-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by: Johndbr
I really find it humerus that you guys still think a trade is possible. We only have 2 QBs that can reasonably consider for a trade, Rivers and Lemons. No one is going to trade for a 42 year old back up. Just not going to happen and Brees is in his last year of his contract, with no expectation to be resigned next year. If another team gets him into camp today, it would be 3 weeks before he could be considered a OK back up and probably 4 or 5 before he could start. Not going to happen. They will wait till the end of the year and get him for free. If the Chargers had any goal for getting something for Brees, they blew it by not trading him at the beginning of the year.

Ok, you now have Rivers and Lemon. I find it hard to believe that they will trade Rivers, is it impossible? No, but the odds are in the billions. If Drew can turn this team around and head to a Strong play off bid Then and only then could it happen, but considering last weekend, I find it hard to see it happening.

So the reality is Lemons is our only tradable QB. I would love to see the guy get a chance to start somewhere and the fact that the Chargers kept him on the roster instead of waiving him for the practice squad shows they were afraid some one would take him. Look for Lemons to be traded if anyone. Without a heck of a disturbance this year, I do not see that happening either. I think you will find that next year you will have Rivers starting, Lemons Back up number 1 and Flutie back up number 2.

I think you will see Brees probably with the faiders if Turner survives this year or maybe with the Steelers. I think he would fly high in Cowers offense. There are several other teams that he might go to, but I think those are your front runners.

However a trade at this point during the year, they would have to be daft to do it and they meaning the other teams. At this point I would not put anything past the Chargers management.

John B.

Dude ... no no and no .... Lemon will NOT be traded nor will River nor will Flutie. Brees is an URFA after this season. We get nothing for Brees after this year. The trading deadline is Oct.19th and as sure as god put little green apples on this Earth, Brees is gone - as in traded. Flutie is cap friendly for 3 years. Next year we are looking at a Rivers-Flutie-Lemon combo for the immediate future. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif