PDA

View Full Version : Why blame Brees

robertbiggs
09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
For all the Brees haters out there...sure it' s easy to blame the QB. He's the recipient of the laughable blocking, the mediocrity of the league's worst composite group of receivers, d linemen and linebackers. Would any of these guys be on any other NFL roster? This is NOT A GOOD TEAM. They don't even qualify as an average team. We are talking BAD TEAM here......and they were bad well before Brees was ever drafted. Coaching, management, ownership, you name it.......as a long time SD fan it is painful to watch the incoming train wreck on Sunday. When Rivers gets to paly let's see him win when the pocket collapses before it even develops and when the coaching strategy actually calls an OPTION PLAY on 3rd down. MARTYMEMO: option play no work , even if your oh-so qualified son and QB coach thinks it's a good idea.
Is it too early to start the public opinion poll in who the next head coach should be? Gary Kubiak, Brad Childress, Ted Cottrell, bring your resume!!!!!

Hang in there Drew and memo to you: don't sign with a team that believes free agent/undrafted linemen and WR's equate to success.i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

ziggyp22
09-26-2004, 05:25 PM
You are right. The team would have trouble winning with Marino, in his prime, at the helm. But, Brees is not helping things. He has no life in the offense. It is just lifeless out there. What a difference when a 42 year old quarterback comes in. Pathetic really! Pretty bad when Flutie, at his age, does more and gets the offense fired up, than Brees.
Brees is not an NFL Calibre quarterback. Why can't anyone see this?

foty89
09-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Gee, did you ever see the Patriots play? You know, the Super Bowl Champs? There team is made up largely of average players, they have no star receivers and few flashy players of any kind.

While the protection did break down from time to time, overall the line play has been good and Brees has had decent time.

His inconsistency and inaccuracy along with poor decision making and poor defensive reads are why so many people are down on him. Does he show any improvement year to year? So far this year, he looks just as bad as last year.

It is sad to say, and I feel bad for him because he is a nice guy, but not all drafted quarterbacks can make it in the NFL. He just has not shown any growth or improvement during his time as a starter.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Tomlinson21
09-26-2004, 06:11 PM
You guys must've been watching another game. Brees stinks. Stop being in denial about it and admit it.

stamm321
09-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Brees didnt have a perfect cast of characters around him, true, but he did have all the tools neccesary to win the game today - this loss is absolutely brees's fault
Bring in the Rookie!
Lets start the future

for the record, ive never been a brees basher - actually ive rooted for the guy, but its time to cut our losses and move on

dgjock
09-26-2004, 06:43 PM
While I don't blame the losses entirely on Brees, I do think it's time for him to look for a new team, just for the sake of his career. Chargers fans have lost confident in him, I saw how they boo him last week whenever he threw a bad pass, no matter if it's his fault or the recivers or whoever. As you can see in this board, unless he threw 5 TDs and 0 INTS, everybody will keep blaming him.
I think it's time for him to move on. A new team, new coaches, new personnel, new fans will restore his confidence and might save his career. I saw a potential in him, but a potential will always be a potential unless realized, and to realized it, you need help from people arround you, including support of the fans.

Having said this, one thing I observed, the people in this board are just the most fairwether people I have ever seen (or in this case, read i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif)

When Brees is playing good and we win, this board i quiet as michael jackson's bedroom. But when we lost, no matter what, all the bashers suddenly emerged.

NavidFromOC
09-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Everyone is right, its not all Brees' fault, but we need to do something serious. LINE LINE and LINe. We got some serious upgrading to do. From the OL to the LB to the WR to the Coach. WOW help me

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 07:43 PM
A lot of what you guys are saying is totally true, but another factor people need to look at is this:

The fans have condemned Brees, and it can be argued that some fans have completley lost interest (lower ticket sales, Brees bashing, etc.). I am what some of you would call a "fairweather fan". I just starting paying attention to the Chargers this year. I live in SC and have never even bee to California, but do you know why I pay attention to the Chargers? Phillip Rivers. There are thousands of Rivers fans out there who are now interested in the Chargers, most of whom, like myself, have never even been to California. If Brees is losing fanfare and Rivers will almost certainly gain fans, myself for example, what in the hell is Brees doing in the game if he's losing. Put Phillip in and let a new era begin, and I can guarantee in his first six games the fans will not be disappointed in his skills, which will no doubtedly exceed those of Drew Brees.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by: smelltheglove
A lot of what you guys are saying is totally true, but another factor people need to look at is this:

The fans have condemned Brees, and it can be argued that some fans have completley lost interest (lower ticket sales, Brees bashing, etc.). I am what some of you would call a "fairweather fan". I just starting paying attention to the Chargers this year. I live in SC and have never even bee to California, but do you know why I pay attention to the Chargers? Phillip Rivers. There are thousands of Rivers fans out there who are now interested in the Chargers, most of whom, like myself, have never even been to California. If Brees is losing fanfare and Rivers will almost certainly gain fans, myself for example, what in the hell is Brees doing in the game if he's losing. Put Phillip in and let a new era begin, and I can guarantee in his first six games the fans will not be disappointed in his skills, which will no doubtedly exceed those of Drew Brees.

Hi Smell...I've been spouting the same thing for weeks now. Until the see Rivers play with more than 2 weeks practice, they aren't going to get it. I just keep hearing how this isn't college...what they don't get is that Rivers isn't just the average college player either. I too am new to the Chargers because of Rivers. I went to the NCSU game last week and saw at least 15 ''Rivers Chargers jerseys..... How often do you see a team with a losing record gain thousands of new fans? Do you think we would have such confidence in him if he weren't something special?

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
That is exactly how I feel. Rivers is very special and he can win with any roster. As for the fanfare it's simple mathematics, but I guess the Chargers personnel don't do math. I'm going to the NCSU Clemson game in a few weeks. You going?

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
That is exactly how I feel. Rivers is very special and he can win with any roster. As for the fanfare it's simple mathematics, but I guess the Chargers personnel don't do math. I'm going to the NCSU Clemson game in a few weeks. You going?

Wish I was...could only get tickets to 2 games this year. Ohio State and Florida State...did you see yesterday's game - God it almost killled me! I'm glad Stone is in - I think he'll be the starter soon, if not next week.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Any of you go to the Va Tech game, I am a student there but I was siting in the state section, The kick at the end went right over my head, O could have caught it but I was going nuts.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:11 PM
I almost went into cardiac arrest when Va Tech completed that pass to set up the missed field goal. Very stressful, but a good boost of confidence after the self destructive Ohio State performance. I like Stone as weel, he's got a lot of potential as long as he gets his timing down on passes. His running game is something State needs to have a threat on the ground other than McClendon.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-26-2004, 08:13 PM
That D looked down right nasty, 10 sacks on what I would say is a very mobile qb. Maybe SD can learn from them.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
I was walking around my livingroom screaming all by myself! I just kept saying if only Rivers was still here - we'd kick butt...how about that defense this year - their incredible.

Rivers2Tomlinson
Oh and the reason you almost went into cardiac arrest was because Jimmy V was there at the end to push that on Wide Right to bring back the Cardiac Pack

attila
I think we probably will have to endure two more weeks of Brees. I expect the Rivers era to begin week 6 vs ATL.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by: Riversrat
I was walking around my livingroom screaming all by myself! I just kept saying if only Rivers was still here - we'd kick butt...how about that defense this year - their incredible.

First in the nation. What a turnaround from last year.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by: Rivers2Tomlinson
Oh and the reason you almost went into cardiac arrest was because Jimmy V was there at the end to push that on Wide Right to bring back the Cardiac Pack

A little excitement is good for the heart.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by: Rivers2Tomlinson

LOL!! God I miss that man too!

I hope Rivers is playing by the time SD plays the Panthers...I'm going to that game.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:18 PM

First in the nation. What a turnaround from last year.

Yeah, and look what Rivers did with that team.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Excellent point, and I hope it is well taken by others.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:19 PM
A little excitement is good for the heart.[/quote]

I love NCSU football and basketball....keeps me young! Or it'll kill me before my time!

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 08:22 PM
I have said this before but I just can't wait to read the posts when Rivers gets in the game and settles down....from those who don't know what it is like to watch Rivers play.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I second that.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-26-2004, 08:31 PM
third

talbitz54
09-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Riversrat, with all due respect the reason you hear "this isn't college" is because it isn't. Everyone agrees the speed of the game is way faster in the NFL.

I appreciate the hope and hype of PR, and I hope he will make the Chargers better in due time. I'm a Charger fan, I lived in North County SD for years and pull for the Chargers and the Padres. I want Rivers to make a difference, but it won't be this year, and probably not next. It just doesn't happen like that. It takes the best part of 3 years, if not more to evolve into an NFL QB. Look at Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, or any QB you like. It takes time, unfortunately for Charger fans that is all we have....time.

I know you think highly of PR, but I just don't think he can walk on water.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 08:44 PM
You'll never know if he's on the bench, though. That's all we're saying. It can't get much worse can it?

talbitz54
09-26-2004, 08:47 PM
GOD I HOPE NOT

LAGrrrl
09-26-2004, 09:03 PM
I am so tired of all the Drew bashers. You quote rivers record in college but drew would have ran circles around him and aparently still IS!!! Hell 42 yr old Flutie is doing better than your supposed answer to all the chargers woes. Why is he 3rd string????? I cannot wait untill drew is a free agent and you fall on your face with Rivers. The QB cannot carry a horrible team. Maybe this mess of a franchise will ruin Rivers career as well!!! Get ready for a 1-15 season untill you can get some talent in the defense, offensive line, WR ohh and the coaching staff.

Riversrat
09-26-2004, 09:07 PM
I know you think highly of PR, but I just don't think he can walk on water.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree, I think he will make an impact much sooner than you do. But I also agree with SmelltheGlove, you'll never know with him sitting on the bench. Believe me, I do know there is a difference between college and the NFL, I just believe that Rivers has what it takes to make that adjustment. I have watched him for 4 years - he is very capable.

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by: LAGrrrl
I am so tired of all the Drew bashers. You quote rivers record in college but drew would have ran circles around him and aparently still IS!!! Hell 42 yr old Flutie is doing better than your supposed answer to all the chargers woes. Why is he 3rd string????? I cannot wait untill drew is a free agent and you fall on your face with Rivers. The QB cannot carry a horrible team. Maybe this mess of a franchise will ruin Rivers career as well!!! Get ready for a 1-15 season untill you can get some talent in the defense, offensive line, WR ohh and the coaching staff.

What are you talking about? Drew would have ran circles around him, then why does Phil have the records, and 42 year old FLutie has one of the worst QB ratings in the NFL. He's third string because of the contract woes that led to miseed practices, you know that, and he's a rookie. What I can't wait for is for him to prove you wrong.

ALSO: one major thing:

Hardly any of you have even seen him play. ACC games don't come on in California do they? Look up his stats in the North South game at the end of the season against the best and most experienced players in the NCAA. He is the next great thing for the Chargers.

LAGrrrl
09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey Smelltheglove, I hope for Rivers sake that he (and Brees) gets traded to another franchise before they ruin his career too!! You love Rivers because of college right? I am in the same boat with drew. I love Purdue and we all loved Brees. For your sake pray every night he leaves this dead weight fanchise.

mrintensity
09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Although it wasn't all Brees's fault,a large portion of the loss is his fault. The man continues to over throw and under throw his recievers. Our recievers need to step up but until they grow hands on their cleets they won't catch the passes. We have become so predictable in our play calling that every team we play just stacks the line. We don't utilize L.T. like we should,he had 22 touches today, it's a fact that if he doesn't get at least 25 we don't get it done. As far as our D.B.'s go, they gave up the yards today. Our line did their part,Griffin 12 touches for 7 yards. Sammy Davis is horrible! He couldn't cover my grandfather and he's dead. I'm getting tired of seeing the spurts of greatness from Brees and the majority of crappy play from him. Hey, what the hell was with just walking off the field and burning the clock at the end of the game without even trying to score something. That was rediculous! Talk about throwing your hands in the air and quiting. We should have and could have beat the Broncos but we played with no emotion. We're in for a long season Bolt fans. I hope they figure out what kind of team they want to be, every week they look completely different. But as usual I'll stay loyal along with my fellow depressed Bolt fans. Let's get loud next weekend, we need that stadium rocking. Until then, GO CHARGERS!

smelltheglove
09-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey Smelltheglove, I hope for Rivers sake that he (and Brees) gets traded to another franchise before they ruin his career too!! You love Rivers because of college right? I am in the same boat with drew. I love Purdue and we all loved Brees. For your sake pray every night he leaves this dead weight fanchise.

Yeah, you're probably right, but he's with the Chargers right now so I've gotta hope for the best, you know. I just wanna see him play some damn football. I miss seeing him play.

weisenheimer1977
09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
exactly, mrintensity!

While the Broncos may not be a complete powerhouse this year, the Charges defense has been decent enough to keep itself in every game this year so far. While the playcalling may be suspect at some times, the fact is that there is no pulse inthe offense? Drew Brees has had years to try and develop a commanding presence with the O-line. Is that hard to do with a not so talented front line - yeah, I can give him that much, when you are trying to rally your team to a big victory, and then you blow your big opportunities, how can you expect your teammates to retain a high level of intenisty and motivation?

Brees blew it in this game, and I don't think he has the leadership skills to pull everyone back together - I would not doubt that the majority of the team is trying to figure out where they want to place their hopes on, and I don't think Brees is it. A change in QB just ins't to give Rivers some reps, its to give the team something to hope for!

Riverwarrior
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM

Why dont you go back to wearing your silver and black you slimy Raider fan. Im sure thats what you dress in on Sundays. Your just a hater because Drew Brees is inconsistant and the chargers happen to see that and move on. Rivers is the better QB hands down. Brees had his chance and couldnt capitalize. If you want to blame everyone but Brees thats fine, but if you actually want to get out of LALA land and come back to reality you'll realise that Brees is not an accurate QB and has very little arm stregth to stretch the field.

hardcharger
09-26-2004, 11:15 PM
La grrrl,
Drew Brees is a mutt. His QB skills are weak. How long do we have to wait on him? He just doesnt have the physical ability. I have never been a Brees basher until today. I have always hoped he would play well. The guy just doesnt have what it takes to be a NFL QB. The CHARGERS will have to cut their losses with him, because nobody will trade for him, I dont think any team will even want him for third string backup QB. Out with the old and in with the new. It cant get any worse.

beefdee
09-26-2004, 11:18 PM
It's not all about Brees, or Phillips, or Flutie, or Humphries or Ryan Leaf … The Charger's Woe was apparent even when Dan Fouts was QB - and those teams would stack up with any team in 2004 … the problem here isn't just the QB, it's systemic … never a game plan that works … get a buttkicker like Coryell in at head coach, get some real butt-kickers on the rest of the coaching staff, and you'll see some improvements … otherwise the Chargers are always going to be also-rans …

BreesLightning
09-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Blah Blah Blah to all you Brees bashers. Who made the best decision this year? ........

Archie Manning since he knew that No QB can suceed with the current coaching staff and O-line.

Like someone said earlier, put Marino or Fouts in at QB during their prime, with Cam and Marty running the show and no protection for them, they would be in the same position as Brees' is in.

TrumpetDude
09-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by: talbitz54
I appreciate the hope and hype of PR, and I hope he will make the Chargers better in due time. I'm a Charger fan, I lived in North County SD for years and pull for the Chargers and the Padres. I want Rivers to make a difference, but it won't be this year, and probably not next.

And I have lived in North County S.D. probably more years than you have been alive and I can tell you Philip Rivers can make a difference NOW. And not 2 or 3 years as you suggest....... i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Solarlady
09-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Hi All, we are living in England and just bought an NFL FieldPass this season to listen to the Chargers games. For the last 4 years, we have followed the development and exploits of Phillip Rivers and can definitely state that his entrance into the line-up will improve the overall competitive nature of this football club. Nothing against Brees because this isn't about him...its about Rivers! He has the tools and football 'smarts' to turn a bad, against the odds situation. into a credible Chance! He will definitely bring Confidence and Capability to the QB position. Having said that, we would like for him to have more time to learn the system and for the team to truly accept the decision to go with him without feeling beholden to Brees.

When this happens, Be ready for some Football! Phil will find a way to get the ball into the hands of LT in all sorts of ways. Listening to the games, a swing pass to LT has TD written all over it or gains as much or more yards than all other throws combined to that point in the game. The problem is I don't hear this play called that often, just over-throws and drops down field.

TheOriginalBOLTS4LIFE
09-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Overthrown passes, passes thrown into the turf, fumbels and interceptions will do that too.
Now I know Brees has ALOT of heart! Nobody has ever questioned that.
The problem is that "He's Just Not That Good"!!!!

Seems he's got back to the same bad habbits of last season. Brees speaking in the huddle...
"LT, what should we do on this play? OK. I'll get you the ball and the rest of you just get out there and act like you're part of the team."

SDRaiderH8er
09-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Brees is a 4th Year Quarterback, and he still cannot hit people in Stride, he cant find opeb receivers, he makes bad reads, does not have it, this guy is not an NFL Quarterback, why are we still hanging on to him? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Boltz62
09-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Last time I checked, Drew wasn't the guy calling the plays. That's the Offensive Coordinator's job. And the play calling has been 'offensive'!

Humphries or Fouts couldn't do any better with the plays being called and/or spending half the game on their a**es because the O-Line stinks!

It's easy to blame the QB; Rivers wouldn't be doing any better if we keep calling lousy plays and have no pass protection.

Rivers2Tomlinson
09-27-2004, 09:59 AM
I hate these people who say Rivers would not be doing any better. How do you know? You will never know unless you put him in.

TomLee
09-27-2004, 10:57 AM
The Denver game was both insightful and painful to watch... Not only was the pass protection poor, but Brees continued to overthrow, underthrow, and throw behind receivers more consistently than he put the ball in an area which would allow his receivers to make a plays on the ball. While I cannot buy into the thread that Brees is 100% at fault, his inability to provide receivers with an opportunity to make a play on the ball was a key factor in the Bolts lack of success. The other factor was was turnovers. Yes turnovers, running into the kicker on a punt and giving the Broncos another set of downs is a turnover no matter how you look at it.
If I was coaching against the the Bolts, I would continue to run blitz, knowing that even with minimal protection down the field, Brees has less than a 50/50 cance of even putting the ball on target. With and O-line in a process of rebuilding, you can minimize LT's impact to the game while still mounting a decent pass rush nad having minimal exposure down these field. Key points: two passes to Dwight that would have broken the game open that were thown several feet off target, three passes to Caldwell that were several feet behind his routes that would have continued drives, and checking off to LT in the backfield when he is the only receiver double/tripple covered and behind the line of scrimage.
Start Fluite next week, and make Rivers the number 2. Bress' trade stock will only continue to decline, and I for one would rather watch Flutie run around like a chicken with his head cut off and make jump passes than watch Brees flutter around the backfield without at least the hope of him leading a receiver with a decent pass. Rivers needs to see what confidence and spontenaety can create, and over the last two weeks he has seen what bad decision making and lack of D recognition brings to the game. The NFL is tough love, and Brees has had his opporunity. The scarriest thing I have seen in the last two weeks is how much better Brees threw the ball and put his receivers in positions to make plays after the concussion against the Jets vs. than any time he has been in full possession of his faculties.
Two more items to note: 1. How can you line up without enough men on the right side of the line to pick up an obvious blitz and then turn you back to the defense. 2. Why do you think every team is able to run single man or soft zone coverage on the Bolts receivers with protection behind their routes and not get burned. Both are beacuse every team knows Brees in throwing behind our receivers and cannot make quick check throws down field on blitz coverage than is required to lead a team in the NFL.
Last rant - the D, while still painfull to watch at times is progressing, has been just good enough to give us a chance to win in each of the last to games. It is time to step up to the plate with out Offense and make plays.

SDRaiderH8er
09-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by: Boltz62
Last time I checked, Drew wasn't the guy calling the plays. That's the Offensive Coordinator's job. And the play calling has been 'offensive'!

Humphries or Fouts couldn't do any better with the plays being called and/or spending half the game on their a**es because the O-Line stinks!

It's easy to blame the QB; Rivers wouldn't be doing any better if we keep calling lousy plays and have no pass protection.
What good is play calling when the Quarterback cant do the Play?

What good is it when he cant hit an Open Receiver?

Chargeroo
09-27-2004, 11:28 AM
I've defended Brees for a year and a half and I still think it's not all Brees, but ------- I'm also tired of the missed receivers. It's time to bring in Rivers. I can't see a bit of upside to starting Flutie. He's never been an above average QB and he isn't going to improve at age 42. I'd switch to Rivers if I was the Coach. Of course, I'd also replace my ST and OC coaches if I was Marty. I don't know if Rivers can do any better with a run, run, pass offense but he can't do a lot worse. At least he has a quick release -very useful with the pass blocking we saw yesterday.

SDRaiderH8er
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
I've defended Brees for a year and a half and I still think it's not all Brees, but ------- I'm also tired of the missed receivers. It's time to bring in Rivers. I can't see a bit of upside to starting Flutie. He's never been an above average QB and he isn't going to improve at age 42. I'd switch to Rivers if I was the Coach. Of course, I'd also replace my ST and OC coaches if I was Marty. I don't know if Rivers can do any better with a run, run, pass offense but he can't do a lot worse. At least he has a quick release -very useful with the pass blocking we saw yesterday.Why Not?

That way we would know, is it play calling, is the Quarterback, or is it some other thing, IF we was to start Rivers right now, and with the same exact Players, a lot of Questions would be answered.

foty89
09-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Alright, just like most posters here, I tolerate and encourage other posters to express their opinions. However, you say nothing useful, constructive or even well thought out.

Let the countdown begin – 5

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

dbh1960
09-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by: SDRaiderH8er

I still can't understand what Brees Bashers are seeing! What open receivers??!! On several plays against the Broncos, passes were completed to essentially covered receivers-in no case was anybody WIDE OPEN-and I include (as anyone else should) the missed connections between Brees and Dwight. Others have mentioned Brees had plenty of time to complete throws. Huh? You have only to look at the time given by the Chargers' defense to see what "time in the pocket" really is. On nearly all critical downs, there was some UNBLOCKED pass rusher in Drew's face. The term "blitz pickup" seems foreign to the Chargers. The Chargers tried one screen pass to LT; we need more short throws to get him and other speedy guys like Parker and Dwight the ball with room to run on high percentage plays that don't expose the quarterback (no matter who it is) to such a beating. Did no one else see the stats on sacks/hurries/knockdowns etc. on Sunday? Brees is getting a bad rap for a team that has problems in all phases of the game...

boltfan14
09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
YOU ARE GOING OVER BOARD. WE ARE A DESCENT TEAM WITH A GREAT RB, DESCENT WR OUR LINES ARE DESCENT FOR BEING SO YOUNG. WE CANT COMPLETE A PASS TO A OPEN WR, JUST ASK DWIGHT. WITH FLUTIE AT THE HELM WE ARE AT LEAST AN 8-8 TEAM. LAST YEAR TOLD US AL WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BREES.

TheOriginalBOLTS4LIFE
09-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by: Boltz62

Last I checked, Cam wasn’t passing the ball. That’s the Quarter Backs job. And the has passing has been “offensive”! i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Comparing Brees to Humphries or Fouts is absolutely asinine!
Humphries or Fouts would have done better dispite of the plays being called cause they would hit the targets. The O-line is just fine. Stop with the excuses.

It’s easy to blame the QB when all the passes are either overthrown or in the turf. It’s also easy to blame the QB when your RB can throw a better pass. Rivers will do much better cause he can hit the targets. Plain and simple!

WHITELIGHTNING
09-27-2004, 01:52 PM
If it isn't breses fault for, overthrown receivers, underthrown receivers, fumbles and interceptions, whos fault is it?. Does the ball do all these things on it own? Oh I know. its Cams fault that Brees make these mistakes. Fire Cam and give Brees a new longterm contract worth millions of bucks.

SDRaiderH8er
09-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by: dbh1960

I still can't understand what Brees Bashers are seeing! What open receivers??!! On several plays against the Broncos, passes were completed to essentially covered receivers-in no case was anybody WIDE OPEN-and I include (as anyone else should) the missed connections between Brees and Dwight. Others have mentioned Brees had plenty of time to complete throws. Huh? You have only to look at the time given by the Chargers' defense to see what "time in the pocket" really is. On nearly all critical downs, there was some UNBLOCKED pass rusher in Drew's face. The term "blitz pickup" seems foreign to the Chargers. The Chargers tried one screen pass to LT; we need more short throws to get him and other speedy guys like Parker and Dwight the ball with room to run on high percentage plays that don't expose the quarterback (no matter who it is) to such a beating. Did no one else see the stats on sacks/hurries/knockdowns etc. on Sunday? Brees is getting a bad rap for a team that has problems in all phases of the game... First off, if you are not at the Game, you only see what the camera see's, so just because you cant see an open Receiver on "On Screen" does not mean there are no open Receivers.

Localboy
09-27-2004, 04:40 PM
You really are an IDIOT if you believe brees is a starter for any NFL team He is a BACK UP. Two touchdowns he muffed on. Quit feeding people your crap. IDIOT.

TrumpetDude
09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
First off, if you are not at the Game, you only see what the camera see's, so just because you cant see an open Receiver on "On Screen" does not mean there are no open Receivers.

No doubt. Especially when the Q.B. throws a bad pass or dudes who are way open. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

dbh1960
09-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by: Localboy
You really are an IDIOT if you believe brees is a starter for any NFL team He is a BACK UP. Two touchdowns he muffed on. Quit feeding people your crap. IDIOT.

Hey localboy, you sure are smart-nice post.

dbh1960
09-27-2004, 11:15 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: TheOriginalBOLTS4LIFE

Comparing Brees to Humphries or Fouts is absolutely asinine!

I would love to have "throwback" message board, perhaps on the same weekend that the Chargers are in their pale blues. Fouts didn't have a winning season for five years; until '79 his touchdown vs. interception ratio was 34-57. In two of those early seasons the Chargers were 2-12. I would love to read what the message boards would have been screaming back then.

What happened? Don Coryell happened. Marty S. can't carry Mr. Coryells' (fill in the blank).

Flowsomuch
09-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Would someone please stop with the help at the oline crap. The oline is good. They give brees his time. But when brees is given time what the heck does he do with it? He overthrows the damn receiver. If you were at the game against the jets, we would have had an easy touchdown to LT, but no, our quarterback who has a crappy line and crappy receivers over threw LT, our best player. It aint the oline, the LBs, the receivers, or the corners. There's just no confidence at the leadership position, and that's at quarterback. Who would want to catch a ball from a quarterback who can't get it to you accurately. I had a lot of faith in Brees but he's choking and he needs to get his stuff together. If he doesn't show up the 1st quarter on Sunday against the Titans then he better get ready for the bench. Because I didn't renew my season tickets for nothing. Nuff said. Fix it or step down. PEACE!

xnet
09-27-2004, 11:44 PM
re: robertbiggs

No, you're right... Let's not do anything about Brees. Let's have Brees finish the season as a lame duck QB and watch when he goes to play for another football team. We can all then go and root for that team because we are all Brees fans before we are Charger fans.

Yah, just don't get it do you? Brees isn't going to be in a Chargers uniform next season. We're not going to win with Brees this season so why should we waste the opportunity to bring Rivers up to speed. Your loyalty to Brees is admirable, but I'm a Chargers fan and I want what is best for this team. Brees is not the answer.

OverVolt
09-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Well, as a long suffering Charger fan I also want what's best for this team, and it's 95% sure that starting a rookie at QB is not what's best for this team.
At this time it looks as though this team is close to winning, but just keeps screwing up just enough to lose...the last thing I want to see is a confused rookie throwing 2 or 3 int's per game.

Flowsomuch, don't know if you saw the Denver game, but the O-line was horrible, the blitz completely ate up the passing game...it looked like last year all over again.

xnet
09-28-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by: KennyG
Well, as a long suffering Charger fan I also want what's best for this team, and it's 95% sure that starting a rookie at QB is not what's best for this team.

At this time it looks as though this team is close to winning, but just keeps screwing up just enough to lose...the last thing I want to see is a confused rookie throwing 2 or 3 int's per game.

Flowsomuch, don't know if you saw the Denver game, but the O-line was horrible, the blitz completely ate up the passing game...it looked like last year all over again.

I think the problem I'm having is that Brees isn't a long term solution. If anything he is now a stop-gap, lame-duck QB who will be playing for another team next year. Maybe we keep playing him until the trading deadline, maybe we let Flutie take the helm, but eventually this season, Rivers is going to find himself on the field. I hate watching Drew struggle because I really thought he would be the next great Charger QB when he came in. It's painful, but I don't see how his continued play will benefit the team in the long run. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

coryhartford
09-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
I've defended Brees for a year and a half and I still think it's not all Brees, but ------- I'm also tired of the missed receivers. It's time to bring in Rivers. I can't see a bit of upside to starting Flutie. He's never been an above average QB and he isn't going to improve at age 42. I'd switch to Rivers if I was the Coach. Of course, I'd also replace my ST and OC coaches if I was Marty. I don't know if Rivers can do any better with a run, run, pass offense but he can't do a lot worse. At least he has a quick release -very useful with the pass blocking we saw yesterday.

Muhahaha!
Muhahaha!
Welcome to the dark side Roo! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

shocku
09-28-2004, 01:34 AM
I know you think highly of PR, but I just don't think he can walk on water.

I respectfully disagree, I think he will make an impact much sooner than you do. But I also agree with SmelltheGlove, you'll never know with him sitting on the bench. Believe me, I do know there is a difference between college and the NFL, I just believe that Rivers has what it takes to make that adjustment. I have watched him for 4 years - he is very capable.[/quote]

All the wash st. people said the same thing about leaf, all the purdue people said this about Breez.I'm not bashing rivers because I have great faith in his abilities but until we solve the reciver and line problems it's not going to matter.I don't want to destroy another good prospect.

elcharger
09-28-2004, 08:35 AM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifOn one hand you can't blame Brees he does have the heart to play the game however this is the age of the big QB and unfortunally he does not fit the mole. Also who is the surfing looking offensive coordinater that calls college game plays.

Chargeroo
09-28-2004, 08:41 AM
If they give the ball to Rivers and he stinks it up, they still have Brees, Flutie, and Lemon. I say try it, if it's too soon you tell him nice try Philip but we have some more to teach you. You guys that automatically think he'll fail could be right, but why not try him?

shocku
09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't think he will fail or do any worse than breez,Heck!maybe better.I just don't want him to get seriously hurt do to lack of blocking up front.To many rookies and blown asignments with the o-line so far.

BOLTERFAN
09-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by: robertbiggs
For all the Brees haters out there...sure it' s easy to blame the QB. He's the recipient of the laughable blocking, the mediocrity of the league's worst composite group of receivers, d linemen and linebackers. Would any of these guys be on any other NFL roster? This is NOT A GOOD TEAM. They don't even qualify as an average team. We are talking BAD TEAM here......and they were bad well before Brees was ever drafted. Coaching, management, ownership, you name it.......as a long time SD fan it is painful to watch the incoming train wreck on Sunday. When Rivers gets to paly let's see him win when the pocket collapses before it even develops and when the coaching strategy actually calls an OPTION PLAY on 3rd down. MARTYMEMO: option play no work , even if your oh-so qualified son and QB coach thinks it's a good idea.

Is it too early to start the public opinion poll in who the next head coach should be? Gary Kubiak, Brad Childress, Ted Cottrell, bring your resume!!!!!

Hang in there Drew and memo to you: don't sign with a team that believes free agent/undrafted linemen and WR's equate to success.

Really? So it was not Brees fault he missed 3 WIDE Open WR's last sunday for TD's? Brees cannot handle the pocket. Sure it has some heat with the line but all he has to do is avoid the rush and step up in the pocket....deliver the pass. Drew does not do that. He has no CLUE as to how to work the pocket.

SDRaiderH8er
09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by: shocku
All the wash st. people said the same thing about leaf, all the purdue people said this about Breez.I'm not bashing rivers because I have great faith in his abilities but until we solve the reciver and line problems it's not going to matter.I don't want to destroy another good prospect.
Why do we continue to make excuses for Brees, the Bottomline is, the other Teams are putting Eight and Nine guys in the box for a reason, they know that they can force brees into a panic mode, and when they have him where they want him, he doesnt fail them, and untill he can prove that he can beat them with his arm, we are going to debate who the next #1 Holdout will be.

BigBadBarry
09-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Hang in there Drew and memo to you: don't sign with a team that believes free agent/undrafted linemen and WR's equate to success.

are you blind brees chokes under pressure . i dont blame brees i blame marty for putting him in . us with half a brain knows brees sucks. if the charger get rid of brees no team would even pick him up he is terrible obviously you know nothing about football and are probably voting for kerry also, wake up fool.

tmvalence4
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM

YOUR THE MAN!! VERY WELL PUT

tmvalence4
10-04-2004, 11:15 AM

ok!!!! JUST 6 GAMES HUH??? If he loses those 6 games Learning , do we bench him for Brees?????

Riversrat
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
All the wash st. people said the same thing about leaf, all the purdue people said this about Breez.I'm not bashing rivers because I have great faith in his abilities but until we solve the reciver and line problems it's not going to matter.I don't want to destroy another good prospect.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and I understand your concerns. I didn't live thru Leaf and Brees. I'm not expecting Rivers to never make a mistake and never lose a game that would be ridiculous but I think you are going to pleasantly surprised. He is not just a good college QB, he is mature beyond his years. Any QB can get hurt, (I would be devastated if Rivers did) he can take a hit, he has to it's part of the game but he also is good a avoiding them. I believe Rivers needs to get used to the speed of the game but once he gets comfortable with that he will settle in and blow you away!