PDA

View Full Version : Don't start Rivers, not yet anyway

BoltheadEric
09-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Brees has had a couple of rough weeks lately and looking at the defenses he's going to face in the near future (Tennesee, Jacksonville, Oakland), things probably won't be getting much easier, but the worst thing the Bolts can do is switch QB's and start Phil Rivers. I was watching the game today and the commentators were talking about Rivers and that inevitably he will probably start a game this year or at least see some significant playing time. I hope not, or if he does that it's much later in the season. Look, the Bolts are in for a long year, based on schedule and the youth of the team that is pretty much a foregone conclusion, so why make things worse by starting Rivers before he's ready? All it will do is kill his confidence. I think he's got a huge future ahead of him, he's a prototype QB even though his delivery is a litte funky, but the Bolts don't have enough offensive talent around him to make his starting a game this year any easier. The offensive line just doesn't have enough experience yet, if you need proof of that just look at the Denver game today, Brees had receivers wide open but because he had the defense all over him he just couldn't get his throws off when he wanted to. He doesn't have a go to wide receiver yet. Gates is going to be a stud tight end, thats for sure and he and L.T. will be good safety valves, but he doesn't have that go to receiver yet and probably won't until next years draft. I think the best thing the Chargers could do is not start him at all this year, a-la the Bengals and Carson Palmer. I think the Chargers should just stay the course. Even though they've lost the last two, they haven't been blown out and could have possibly won last week if it weren't for the 4 turnovers and winning in Denver is always tough and they were still in the game today even midway thorugh the 4th quarter. On Friday, Hacksaw Hamilton had a regular friday guest on (his name escapes me) who was an NFL insider and he said that the hot rumor was that the Chargers were trying to showcase Brees and that they would be trading him by the end of October, man I hope not.

TrumpetDude
09-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Dude, Brees is gone by Oct. 19th - the trading deadline. Why wait to start Rivers unless we need to showcase Brees' talents for a few more weeks. Brees is history so start the rookie. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

BoltheadEric
09-27-2004, 01:27 AM
You really think he's gone? With as well as he's done the last few weeks what could we possibly get for him? Another 5th round draft pick? Maybe the Chargers were planning on starting Rivers all along by opening day but since he held out and missed so much training camp they have been waiting these past few weeks for him to get up to speed. That would make sense.

TrumpetDude
09-27-2004, 01:57 AM
We either get something or nothing for Brees. This is the reason the Bolts are carring 4 Q.B.'s . Drew Brees is an unrestricted Free agent next year and walks scott free. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

IMW11029
09-27-2004, 04:38 AM
I'm all for starting Rivers, LATER in the season, maybe after the o-line gets some cohesion, and IF they're out of it (most definitely, let's just face the facts). The Carson Palmer example is good, BUT Brees is unlikely going to have a Jon Kitna-type year, so I say start Rivers because if you look at Palmer now, he's struggling (so is Boller, Leftwich, Grossman, etc), and the Bengals can't stop the run, but still, Rivers should take SOME snaps this year. <Maybe when we blow out the Titans and it's 45-0 in the 4th>

kecko
09-27-2004, 06:24 AM
If Marty wants to keep his job, he will start Rivers around week 8. If Rivers struggles, he'll call it rookie mistakes and can't be blamed. If PR plays better than Brees (has been playing so far) he can argue that it was Drew who set us back. Win-win for Marty.

BTW I don't want Marty back next year.

RollingThunder
09-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by: BoltheadEric
... so why make things worse by starting Rivers before he's ready? All it will do is kill his confidence. I think he's got a huge future ahead of him, he's a prototype QB even though his delivery is a litte funky, but the Bolts don't have enough offensive talent around him to make his starting a game this year any easier. The offensive line just doesn't have enough experience yet, if you need proof of that just look at the Denver game today, Brees had receivers wide open but because he had the defense all over him he just couldn't get his throws off when he wanted to.
I'm a Rivers homer, so take that into account, but has it occurred to you that the reason Brees had little time to throw was because he was the qb? Other teams play defense against us knowing LT is the weapon of choice 80% of the time. They stack the box because Brees doesn't threaten them vertically. Rivers would bring that asset to our team. He is an unknown quantity to other teams and has the size, ability and moxie to make the defense honest. Of course this is speculation, as all board talk is, but the Chargers have the qb they need sitting on the bench.

Re his confidence being shattered, I have to laugh a little at that. I think benching him has more of an effect on his confidence than playing him. He has to mute his enthusiasm and involvement in the game sitting on the sidelines. The NFL isn't a little boys' game. It is for men, who like to compete in a violent sport against other men. Philip will take his knocks as good as the next guy. It will happen. But to pamper the guy because he is a rook is only useful if he actually isn't ready in a functional way, a la, knowing the playbook. He has to know what he is doing out there. Missing training camp put him behind the eight ball, and we have no idea how he has progressed in practice. At least, I don't know. Do you?

Anyway, from my easy chair I see Brees gone by the trade deadline, too. He seems like a nice guy, but Rivers has more tools. And he has to start playing at some point. I expect to see it within the next few weeks. I, for one, could envision him taking a lot ot hits and making mistakes. But, at the same time, I could envision him sparking the team with his talent and leadership abilities, and opening up the LT threat with his own abilities to stretch the field. Until he plays, I think I'll imagine him doing what he did to the Seahawks on his very first NFL drive....

WHITELIGHTNING
09-27-2004, 07:52 AM
They could cut Brees today and I wouldn't miss him for a second. Brees has just about killed his trade value single handedly. I, honestly dont think Rivers would do any worse than Brees, hell he might do better. We wont know until he starts playing, I wish it were yesterday.

OverVolt
09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by: RollingThunder
[quote]
Originally posted by: BoltheadEric

They stack the box because Brees doesn't threaten them vertically. Rivers would bring that asset to our team. He is an unknown quantity to other teams and has the size, ability and moxie to make the defense honest. ..

Actually, I think they stack the box because it's well known that as long as the game is close (within 10 points) the offense is going to run on first and second down. This team has NEVER thrown three passes in a row, during the first half. I don't care who the QB is, if you always run-run-pass during the first three quarters, then every team will stack the box...think about it, by doing that, they are right about 85% of the time, those are great odds!
When you have a young team with little to no talent at wide receiver you must be unpredictable....this offense is not even close.
Cameron calls a game that fits a veteran power team, at this time we are neither veteran or power.
This offense cannot execute when it not only must overcome talentless wide receivers, an average QB, and an O-line with two rookies plus all new starters, but also a completely predictable offensive game plan...Cameron is the curse of this offense.

SanDiegoRon
09-27-2004, 08:54 AM
JoelBolt,
is PR getting any practice time reps???... Can anyone say definitively...

Yes: work him into the starting rotation...
No: sadly, it's more Brees...

trading deadline 3 games away - start trading AJ - get something for nothing...

maverjoe
09-27-2004, 11:20 AM
I am so sick of seeing Brees under/over throw our wide open recievers...even when he connects he doesn't hit the players in stride thereby killing any yards after the catch and increasing the chance of a big hit on our guys for an injury/fumble. I am reasy to see somone else come in.
I liek Brees and thinks he can still have a good career, but he jsut isn't doign it now. HE does not make the routine throws. PUT IN RIVERS, FLUTIE, OR LEMON!

rule12b
09-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Rivers is ready enough. Mark my words. If we want to spring LT for some big runs and re-open our offense, Marty has got to put the kid in. He has the tools and the skills. Mark it down: PR isn't the messiah, but he is the answer to getting some W's this season, and a lot more next season if he gets the playing time.

Do we really want to throw this season away with him on the bench and deal with a season of growing pains next year??? Hell no.

geekster
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm.... Does anybody know if Rivers is still getting in extra practise after the normal practise is completed? Is that happening? I know he isn't getting reps during the normal team practises since the season started but......???

WHITELIGHTNING
09-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I'd rather lose with Rivers than take much more of Brees throwing away games.

rule12b
09-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING

I AGREE 100%

TrumpetDude
09-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by: rule12b
Rivers is ready enough. Mark my words. If we want to spring LT for some big runs and re-open our offense, Marty has got to put the kid in. He has the tools and the skills. Mark it down: PR isn't the messiah, but he is the answer to getting some W's this season, and a lot more next season if he gets the playing time.

Do we really want to throw this season away with him on the bench and deal with a season of growing pains next year??? Hell no.

And double hell no. Start Rivers and don't look back. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

RollingThunder
09-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Actually, I think they stack the box because it's well known that as long as the game is close (within 10 points) the offense is going to run on first and second down. This team has NEVER thrown three passes in a row, during the first half. I don't care who the QB is, if you always run-run-pass during the first three quarters, then every team will stack the box...think about it, by doing that, they are right about 85% of the time, those are great odds!

When you have a young team with little to no talent at wide receiver you must be unpredictable....this offense is not even close.

Cameron calls a game that fits a veteran power team, at this time we are neither veteran or power.

This offense cannot execute when it not only must overcome talentless wide receivers, an average QB, and an O-line with two rookies plus all new starters, but also a completely predictable offensive game plan...Cameron is the curse of this offense.

Since I am an east coaster, my perception of the Chargers is via this and other boards. I had not seen Brees play prior to the preseason and, now, the regular season. I watch via Sunday Ticket. I bought into the HDTV service to follow Philip's career. He's a hell of a guy and competitor.
Since Philip was late into camp, I put my disappointment on the back burner and was totally understanding in watching Brees as the starter. I am not real impressed with his abilities, relative to Philip's. He doesn't seem to lead his men like I am used to seeing Philip do it. I am biased though.

Since I haven't been exposed to Cam's playcalling, I just assumed it would be adjusted to maximize the potential of the talent on the field. I agree the receivers are not upper tier ball catchers, but success breeds success. If Philip gets in, he WILL throw it downfield. If catches are made and plays move the chains, even more success will come. I can only imagine the LT production when that happens. The youth of the team is conducive to a young qb's enthusiasm and desire to excel. To wrap it up, Philip should be allowed to practice some w/ the first team, if he isn't already. If he reaches a comfort level in practice, let him loose on the rest of the league...and watch out!

BIGRICK
09-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I really did try to be a fan of Brees. Just like I do with all of our new talent. Only one I did not like right away was of course leaf. But as time goes by I see the poor guy for what ever reason He is just not showing us he can get the job done. As big of a Flutie fan I am, I think that the guys that say he is not up to starting full games are very right. Remember the Goose and the Padres. Great for the last couple innings. I really dont think that we will have 4 QBs for long. And if we all(on this board) know anything It would appear that Brees is on his way out. Rivers may or may not be ready but only time will tell. When he gets in he will be making the rookie mistakes, so we will have to give him some time. The WRs on our team will be fine sometimes a new arm is all they need to connect. And if Rivers can show his line he is there leader they will follow and want to do their job. So this is my very unprofesional hasbeen athletic opinion.

Jcharger5525
09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
i agree

TrumpetDude
09-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by: maverjoe
I am so sick of seeing Brees under/over throw our wide open recievers...even when he connects he doesn't hit the players in stride thereby killing any yards after the catch and increasing the chance of a big hit on our guys for an injury/fumble.

You know the WR's are just about to mutinee on Brees over this very same issue. I would be way mad as a Bolt receiver. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

TrumpetDude
09-29-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING

Brother you got that right. At least Rivers gives us hope at the future instead of rallying around Brees who may not deliver squat in a trade. I hope A.J. is working some early season mojo. Man we need it bad. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif