PDA

View Full Version : The deep analysis with proof: why Brees is not our man

jbrennan20
10-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Ok, I like Brees. I had the chance to meet him and he is a great guy, but that does not make him a great quarterback. Here are the positives. #1 he understands the game. #2 He can manage an offense very well. #3 He reads defenses well. #4 he really cares. And now for the reason he will not be successful in the Chargers offense. #1 Watch the game closely and analyse it and you will notice that the Chargers are a Run, Run, Pass team. In other words, a 2 year old could figure out how to stop our offense. Put 8 to 9 men in the box on 1st and 2nd down. Take away LT and make Breese beat you passing....... Not going to happen. Why you ask? I mentioned all the good qualities that brees has, unfortunately he does not have the arm nor the accurancy to do the job. In other words, he is a great guy, and can manage the offense well, but he just plainly does not have the physical attributes to scare a team into thinking we are going to pass the ball deep. I realized this last year agaist Baltimore when Brees had Boston wide open for a deep touchdown..... under threw the ball...result interception. After the game the Baltimore DB's said all I had to hear. " we are not scared of Marty or Drew deciding to throw deep. Therefore, we take 1 to 2 steps closer to the line of scrimmage on every play and gaurd the run from LT and stop the run." This year, I got season tickets on the West endzone Press level. It is amazing to watch how many balls have been over and underthrown by brees. 6 deep balls for touchdowns have been overthrown. Brees got lucky in his touchdown pass to Reche against the Jets because the ball was underthrown and should of been intercepted. Drew has a lot of great attributes, but physically he is not there, i am sorry. In addition the Chargers will never have a playoff appearance until the Spanso family stops trying to win as many games as possible for as cheap as possible. Marty ball only works if you have an unbelievable offesive line and at least a threat to throw deep. We have non of these attributes and the chargers will no win more than 4 or 5 games this season. It is as simple as that. Rivers is a Star in the making. It will happen, but not until the spanos family grabs their balls and spends some money outside of the salary cap.

foty89
10-02-2004, 04:02 PM
While I do agree with the reality that Drew is not the man in the future, I have to disagree with one of you key points. Drew DOES NOT read defenses well. This is why he does well in the preseason with simple defenses and poorly in the regular season with game specific defenses. The rest of your evaluation of Drew seems pretty good.

As for the Chargers not winning, the line is young as are the receivers. Given time they will both develop and could become very good units. This does not preclude the addition of players that can improve the quality of each unit.

I am a bit puzzled by the not spending money comment. As can be read on this and the UT boards, the Chargers do not have much under the salary cap in any year. This year we are handicapped by the dead weight of players that did not perform here, or with their new teams, but still the Chargers can not be called cheap.

We have not had good luck with the draft, free agency or injuries. That combined with somewhat questionable management decision prior to A.J. are the main reasons for the lack of success.

The jury is out on Marty for now, he certainly needs to show improvement this year.

Rivers will likely be a star. Even if he is only good and we have only good receivers to go along with L.T., we should go far. There are the questions about Marty and the playoffs and that is a concern, but if the passing game can be good enough to be considered a threat, we are set. Are biggest problem right now is we are one dimensional, run only. That is not all Marty’s system, that is also because Drew has not been getting the job done.

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

geekster
10-02-2004, 04:28 PM
jbrennan20, I just have to ask - why do you think the San Diego Chargers spent their No. 1 draft pick to get a Quarterback? Doesn't THEIR analysis count?

SDRaiderH8er
10-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Geez I thought this was going in the

WRONG BRAINTYPE

Direction

BIGRICK
10-02-2004, 08:02 PM
ok if the line is young and the Wrs are young and are QB seems like he is not going to do the job. Then we seem like we are destined to loose. If all that is the case why not put in the so called future of the team and let the whole offense grow together. We may loose this season but atleast the ofense will get it together, together. Just a thought. But like I say if we loose all our games fine, just beat the damn Raiderets.

Kwakothunder
10-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Brees is done. It's just a matter of time.

It will happen when Marty thinks that Rivers "gives us the best chance to win". Elevating Rivers to #2 is the first sign. He is getting half the snaps in practice and as soon as he becomes comfortable, he will be playing.

If Brees has another performance against the Titans like that past 2 games, you will see Rivers. It could be in the Titans game, but more than likely starting the next game.

chrisbarajas619
10-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Drew Brees Is Done!! No one wants him anymore...I mean he is a great guy, but he is not the quarterback the chargers need..The chargers need a Qb that can throw the ball deep and scramble a couple of times and Doug Flutie can do both plus he is not afraid to do it..as for Philip Rivers I think that he should wait till next season(he is a rookie now)the only person San Diego can turn to to win games is Flutie.....I hope that Flutie plays this Sunday!!!

GO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kwakothunder
10-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by: chrisbarajas619
Drew Brees Is Done!! No one wants him anymore...I mean he is a great guy, but he is not the quarterback the chargers need..The chargers need a Qb that can throw the ball deep and scramble a couple of times and Doug Flutie can do both plus he is not afraid to do it..as for Philip Rivers I think that he should wait till next season(he is a rookie now)the only person San Diego can turn to to win games is Flutie.....I hope that Flutie plays this Sunday!!!

GO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 big problem. Flutie is #3 on the chart. That means that Rivers will see the field before Flutie.

Johndbr
10-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Personally I think you all are wrong except about one thing, he does not have the arm for the long passes and if this game was solely wrapped around the long pass, you would be correct, but it is not. You have short, medium and in Brees's case, medium long passes. Maybe not long enough to consider it a coast to coast pass, but it is by far good enough to spread out the defense. Your real beef is with Cam, not Brees. He is the one who is calling the plays, not Brees. I explain in several posts on how Cam could help Brees and LT and I do not want to repeat it all here again, but long story short, they are afraid of LT. If Cam would use that to our advantage, it would work all around. LT gets 1/3 of all our plays, he should be faked to on the other 3/4s. Really a few less, he has to come out and rest sooner or later. It is totally Cam's fault that we are where we are right now. They know who is getting the ball 1/3 of the time and they can pratically predict when. If he was faked to all the time, it would remove the now given and keep them guessing on when he is actually going to get the ball. Not only that, they will bite on the fake a lot and they will at least have a guy spying on him. That evens the odds in the pass attack and lord we need that. I am sorry I might agree that Brees has a hard time reading defenses, but he does not even have to bother to, so how do you know he can't? He has 8 in the box 90% of the time, do you really think he is having a hard time figuring out what they are going to do? Get real!!! Can Cam and we will be doing a lot better.

I also think you are wrong that no one wants him. I just think no one is stupid enough to trade for a guy they can get for free at the end of the season. It is far to late to bring in a new QB and expect him to be effective. Only a team that is afraid they will run out of QBs will bring in a new one now and it will probably be off of their practice squad or a recently retired guy. They can get Brees at the end of the season for a few million, why on earth would they pay more for him now? the answer is it ain't going to happen.

John B.

P.S. there is your flutie flake again, saying the same old thing.

wolfpacker93
10-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by: chrisbarajas619

GO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You think Flutie is the answer to your problems? What a joke......Why not throw Rivers in there for experience? It isn't like the Chargers have a chance to win more than 6 games either way.

sdcharger65
10-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Flutie is the answer for this year. You cannot put Rivers, arookie behind that horrible offensive line, his career wil be over before it gets started, they will get him killed. Flutie can scramble and is able to use his ability to make up for the lack of protection that he will recieve. Flutie is just a bandaid River's is the future but not his year. Get him a new coach who has imagination and will give him the talent he needs to succeed.

sdcharger65
10-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by: geekster
jbrennan20, I just have to ask - why do you think the San Diego Chargers spent their No. 1 draft pick to get a Quarterback? Doesn't THEIR analysis count?

I think Rivers will be an excellent quarterback when given his chance but not while Marty is here. As for the Draft I was praying for Robert Gallery, how do you pass on a great offensive lineman , especially as horrible as the chargers line is. Just another blunder by this horrible front office. I give up too.

SDRaiderH8er
10-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by: sdcharger65
Flutie is the answer for this year. You cannot put Rivers, arookie behind that horrible offensive line, his career wil be over before it gets started, they will get him killed. Flutie can scramble and is able to use his ability to make up for the lack of protection that he will recieve. Flutie is just a bandaid River's is the future but not his year. Get him a new coach who has imagination and will give him the talent he needs to succeed.

If Flutie is now the answer then we are really in trouble, Flutie occupies the #3 Slot, he will never get in the Game unless Brees and Rivers get hurt and are unable to continue.

Critter
10-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by: SDRaiderH8er
If Flutie is now the answer then we are really in trouble, Flutie occupies the #3 Slot, he will never get in the Game unless Brees and Rivers get hurt and are unable to continue.

Not quite true this year h8er.

The rules have changed this season. The 3rd stringer can come in the 4th quarter without any consequences. ie: the 1st and 2nd stringers can re-enter the game.

In the past, once the 3rd stringer came into the game the first and second stringers could not re-enter no matter what quarter it was.

All of this really doesn't mean anything though, Flutie is done playing in SD unless, like you said, we get bit by the injury bug.

ajsears55
10-03-2004, 03:28 PM
First of all, Brees sucks. Period, end of story. When your running back throws for more yards than your quaterback it is time to bring someone else in.

I got a question for you, ajsears55. Why are you reporting yourself to the moderators?
You sent an email to us using the 'Report to a Moderator/ button after you posted.
Is there something you WANT to be punished for?

coryhartford
10-03-2004, 04:46 PM
What the hell? Whos that guy playing QB today? I hate Brees, but I have to say, good job today Drewphus.

HellsBells
10-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by: ajsears55
First of all, Brees sucks. Period, end of story. When your running back throws for more yards than your quaterback it is time to bring someone else in.

I got a question for you, ajsears55. Why are you reporting yourself to the moderators?

You sent an email to us using the 'Report to a Moderator/ button after you posted.

Haha, I know, He is reporting himself for making an incorrect comment, he must be listening to the game.

Chargeroo
10-03-2004, 05:37 PM

Too funny.

Welcome to the board anyway.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

stamm321
10-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by: sdcharger65
You cannot put Rivers, arookie behind that horrible offensive line, his career wil be over before it gets started, they will get him killed..

I think the line is playing alot better than expected this year, and better than last year.

shocku
10-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by: geekster

NO! they forfitted that right when they spent every pick the year before on secondary!that's worked out great hasn't it?

WHITELIGHTNING
10-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Ok Brees had a good game against the Titans, I'll give him that but has anyone else noticed on passes of 20 yards or more Brees has to really wind up to get the ball out. If brees goes to a different team and has a great career I will be happy for him. Right now the Packer, Bears and thr fish need QBs real bad, so Brees's performance should have driven up his trade value, I say go for it.

lbroer
10-04-2004, 09:02 AM
I think you saw what Brees can do when the offensive line gives him the protection he needs and the receivers run correct routes. The QB is only as good as the support he gets from his team mates. I had the opportunity to watch Brees when he played at Purdue and he was consistently excellent. If you get a chance, check out the current QB at Purdue. Kyle Orton is another outstanding QB. I was also impressed with Shuan Phillips who was outstanding in college as well. Maybe this was the turning point for the entire Chargers organization. Go Chargers!

shocku
10-04-2004, 11:01 AM

First of all, what does when your running back throws more than your QB mean! second, if Drew sucks so badly why is it then he has on eof the highest rateings in the league right now,why was he heisman candidate?why did he break all of purdues records? Oh! that's right,cause he sucks! you people make me LMAO!! who make statements like this.I have more respect for the people who may dislike Brees but they at least give there "Opinion" saying he doesn't have the arm or doesn't read deffenses well or he's too short,fine those are "opinions" and the truth of the matter is he has one of the highest rateings right now and he has since preseason. but comeing into a forum and ragging on your starting QB by saying he sucks period without proof to back it up shows absolutley no class what so ever.