PDA

View Full Version : la area blackout

motorcity
10-06-2004, 12:52 PM
hey fellas, did anyone in the l.a. area not get the charger feed on sunday? my directv service was blacked out. called them and the reply was that l.a.is san diego's market.

rule12b
10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
LA and Orange Counties are blacked out. Gotta drive to Ventura County. Camarillo is closest. Pack up your lady (she can shop the outlets) and try to find a sports bar. Good luck, the blackout sucks.

motorcity
10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
thanks for the tip. b.t.w. is this a new thing? had sunday ticket for years and never happened before.

rule12b
10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by: motorcity
thanks for the tip. b.t.w. is this a new thing? had sunday ticket for years and never happened before.

Until this year, the City of San Diego was obligated by contract to purchase as many tickets as necessary for each home game to lift the blackout. The Chargers released the city from its prior obligation this season, hence blackouts that we hadn't had to deal with for many years, have returned.

Diegokoop
10-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I was confused because the Jets game was televised so I assumed the black-out didn't extend to L.A.

How can the Chargers possibly have the right to black-out what is considered to be a separate market?

They don't own the L.A. market?

I sucked it up and decided to buy a ticket to the Jacksonville game, especially since they are wearing the powder blue uni's. If they beat Jacksonville, maybe the town will get excited and start selling out.

If anybody is going to the game let me know. I need fellow Charger fans to tailgate with!

Go Bolts!

RAYRAY37
10-08-2004, 12:58 AM
I'll be there, I am a season ticket holder it is an awesome way to go. It is better than watching the game at home.

osgood2good
10-08-2004, 04:29 PM
I LIVE IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD AND I TAKE A NICE HOUR DRIVE ALONG THE COAST UP TO THE SANTA BARBARA BREWING CO. IF THEY TRY THE BLACKOUT B.S. ITS A GREAT PLACE 2 WATCH SPORTS!...

rsrose1
10-10-2004, 02:57 PM
This is ridiculous. To say that LA is in the SD market is ridiculous.

Does that make LA in the Padre market also? How can the Chargers claim SD, OC, AND LA as their market? I live 140+ miles from the game location. According to NFL rules, games w/in 75 miles should be blacked out. It keeps getting harder each year to be a Charger fan

xmykecalx
10-10-2004, 03:27 PM
does anyone know if they're showing down in TiJuana? Caliente? THere was an article in the UT a couple of weeks ago saying that Caliente was going to challenge the NFL by showing blacked out Charger games. ANyone been down there and witnessed this?

rule12b
10-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Santa Barbara had the game, everywhere south of there was blacked out.

fpad96
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
i live in corona and have never had a problem until yesterday!! i too called Direct TV and their response was, "Your hometeam is the San Diego Chargers, we don't have control of the blackout...the NFL does" This makes no sense since I specifically pay the $$ to watch the Chargers Game! I was lucky enough, however, to find a local pizza place in Corona closer to the stadium which was showing the game...Any answers out there as to HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE???

RAYRAY37
10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
No logical answer except that maybe the NFL is trying to make the Chargers a So Cal team. Which is cool since the rams and raiders fans chose not to support their own team. I also live in Corona, it is 1000% better to have season tickets than watch them on T.V. . I know not everyone can afford tickets but I am doing my part on trynig to sell out the Q so everyone else can watch the Chargers.

luis32
10-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey! I'll be there for the next home game. Lets hook up down there. I'm tire of hanging around with all this raider fans. I'm from the L.A. area and I've been a charger fan since I was 14. Lets do this I have A good feeling about the team.

Beachingout
11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Just to let you all know, I live in Simi Valley, which is in Ventura County, and all of Ventura County is also affected by the black out rule. To think I have to drive 160+ miles to attend a game and drive 160+ miles back is absolutely ludicrous! On a good day with no traffic that about 3 hours each way, more when dealing with the normal traffic congestion on the freeways now. I'm won't be renewing my DirecTV next year.

rule12b
11-05-2004, 12:38 PM
I have heard that if you by your DirectTV box and card say in, Nevada, and encode it there, you will get the SD games here because of how their system is set up. That could be how it was shown in Corona. . .

Beachingout
11-05-2004, 03:43 PM
All I know is when I called DIRECTV, they said my zip code indicates the blackout.

chargerjoefan
11-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Yea, the zip code they bill to dictates your status.
I wonder, if I have another residence outside of the blackout area (i.e. 2nd house or "rent" a room with a friend) and I sign up and get billed there, can I "temporarily" relocate my system to the LA area ?

I am not sure if they still require a telephone connection. If so, I may need to infomr them of this new # so they can change it within there system. This may affect ability to access other payper view operations.

Just thinking....

chargerjoefan
11-06-2004, 10:03 PM
I was also thinking about taking the Amtrak from Moorpark to SD. I checked the ticket status and for a single seat, I was not happy with what was available. Sorry, I wont pay $75 amtrak round trip, a $72 ticket and then sit in the corner end-zone. Those "9000" seats which are remaining are in pathetic locations. Who really wants em? I am as big a fan as any, but please... Lets get realistic.

I'm going to the Santa Barbara Brewing Co. like the guy above said. This way the wiff can shop while I drink. Not a bad Idea. I can drive to SB for $20 bucks and also give my wiff a "Ben and a half" to shop around. Bingo, we are all happy. I can see South LA county but not Ventura County. That's were I draw the line.

and for the Direct TV fans, wake up! Read the fine print.
BTW - NFL policy = Owners Policy. Sellout Stipulation also = Owners Policy.

NFL and Ownership can spin it anyway they want too. When an LA team comes back in here, we will regain the upper hand. Hacksaw is right to continue bagging on ownership. They need to put out hte olive branch and buy up the tickets. Maybe give it to the cub scouts or someone.
Please, just sell the team already.

johnlee77
11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I can't tell you how bummed out I am by another black out. I'll be listening on the radio and still cheering like crazy though.

sperkster
11-07-2004, 03:28 PM
This blackout issue is truly the most frustrating thing! My husband and I will probably not even bother with Sunday Ticket next year if they don't do something about re-aligning the blackout areas. We've had it for 5 years just to be able to watch the Chargers but with all these blackouts this year it really isn't worth it!

Does anyone one know where we can send complaints to the NFL? DirecTV told me the same information that they really have no control and the NFL is really driving these blackout rules.

johnlee77
11-07-2004, 07:10 PM
haha, that's exactly what i was thinking. man i pay all that jack to watch my team and then BAM. Here's to the chargers coming to my back yard and playing in the rosebowl (no offense anyone!!!) i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Beachingout
11-08-2004, 10:01 AM
I also can't seem to find out who to complain to about the blackout rule. The only other option is to use our consumer $$$ power by banning together to boycott Sunday Ticket next year. I'd rather give my money to the local sports bar than to DirecTV now.