PDA

View Full Version : Are you capable of enjoying prosperity

SDynasty
10-09-2004, 09:41 AM
It's amazing to me how many of you can't support Drew. Is it because you think you know more than you do about the game, blaming him for all things bad. Is it because you didn't see the evolution of QB's like Favre and others I've seen you compare him to?

Some of you say his arm is to weak, guess you didn't see him play any college games? Maybe you never heard of a guy named Montana, by his own admission had a weak arm. Marino, Superbowl his rookie year, all time passing yards leader in history, NO RING.

Some of you say he is too short and in the same post some of you even say to put Flutie in, Drew is taller than Doug when I last saw them.

Did we have a chance to win both games we lost? I think so. Denver we almost over came horrible play calling and had a chance to win until the roughing the kicker penalty gave Denver tha ball back. Jets game we didn't play very well as a team Our beloved LT had 2 that's 2 fumbles, 1 he fell on deep in our own territory, and the other he got caught from behind going down the north sideline and fumbled again but the ball just made it out of bounds. We didn't talk about those 2 plays though did we?

We don't talk about how Quentin Freaking Jammer gets beat bad every game and in my opinion is a major contibutor to why we are slow getting over the hump. After the game last week "Q" shows up a DB's and gets on the air with Hank. Quentin says "yeah, they caught me sleepling out there, which I do a lot in games cause they don't throw at me very much". WHAT???!!! I almost drove my car off the 5 freeway!

We have a chance to get to 500 which since the Spanos have owned the team has only happen a handful of times and most of these post blame 1 guy. It's just not that simple. I don't care if it's Drew, PR or anybody else, but when they are showing positive signs you have to play the guy until it's totally obvious he can't get it done.

Oh by the way remember all the mistakes the front office has made, 55, 37 Bethard, Ross, Harmon, Boston, Leaf, I don't have to name them all do I?

MoveitMister
10-09-2004, 11:52 AM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Good post!

And, yes, I am capable of enjoying prosperity.

coryhartford
10-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by: 214SD6
It's amazing to me how many of you can't support Drew. Is it because you think you know more than you do about the game, blaming him for all things bad. Is it because you didn't see the evolution of QB's like Favre and others I've seen you compare him to?

Some of you say his arm is to weak, guess you didn't see him play any college games? Maybe you never heard of a guy named Montana, by his own admission had a weak arm. Marino, Superbowl his rookie year, all time passing yards leader in history, NO RING.

Some of you say he is too short and in the same post some of you even say to put Flutie in, Drew is taller than Doug when I last saw them.

Did we have a chance to win both games we lost? I think so. Denver we almost over came horrible play calling and had a chance to win until the roughing the kicker penalty gave Denver tha ball back. Jets game we didn't play very well as a team Our beloved LT had 2 that's 2 fumbles, 1 he fell on deep in our own territory, and the other he got caught from behind going down the north sideline and fumbled again but the ball just made it out of bounds. We didn't talk about those 2 plays though did we?

We don't talk about how Quentin Freaking Jammer gets beat bad every game and in my opinion is a major contibutor to why we are slow getting over the hump. After the game last week "Q" shows up a DB's and gets on the air with Hank. Quentin says "yeah, they caught me sleepling out there, which I do a lot in games cause they don't throw at me very much". WHAT???!!! I almost drove my car off the 5 freeway!

We have a chance to get to 500 which since the Spanos have owned the team has only happen a handful of times and most of these post blame 1 guy. It's just not that simple. I don't care if it's Drew, PR or anybody else, but when they are showing positive signs you have to play the guy until it's totally obvious he can't get it done.

Oh by the way remember all the mistakes the front office has made, 55, 37 Bethard, Ross, Harmon, Boston, Leaf, I don't have to name them all do I?

It seems to me me that you are supporting the exact opposite extreme that you are agruing. Its one thing to say its not Drew's fault but another to say it has nothing to do with Drew. The first I can agree with, The second is as ludicrous as saying its all Drew's fault. Certainly Drew has a large contribution to failure or success, I think most people who know football would agree. The QB is a major contributor to the momentum, leadership and direction of a team. And in Drew's case I think that he has landed on the negative side more so than the positive. One example is his ability to turn things around in a game. If he plays poorly he stay that way; when the bolts are losing Drew probably isn't going to lead you back. In cases where the QB is expected to perform, most of the time he hasn't. I'm not saying that all of the losses from last year (or this year) were Drew's fault but we should be able to measure him on the things that a QB is responsible for. That measurment doesn't just mean stats either. You look for the management of games and the intangibles as well. I am glad we are 2-2, but I am increasingly afraid that we will sink again to the play of last year. How can you blame me? Its not like I haven't seen that type of play again this year. I have. So are the Chargers improving? Yes, in all aspects I believe. Is Drew improving? He seems to be. But we are not even close to out of the woods. In fact it wouldn't be hard to get lost again. So I think its ok for the fans to be wary. I think its ok for the people who previously thought Drew wasn't right for this team to continue to think that. Thats what we do as fans. We should be wary and critical.
If you think SD fans are bad, brother you ain't seen nothin. I live in Chicago and the fans out her are RABID! I mean whether y

SDynasty
10-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Cory, I'm not saying Drew isn't a contributing factor. He certainly is, but the most talented individual can always be impacted in both positive and negative directions with "team" compensating factors.

Doug Williams, champion; Trent Dilfer, champion; Kurt Warner champion. Jim Kelley, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, not champions, see what I mean. Trent won a Superbowl and got traded in the off season, same with Doug Williams. They were good enough to win but not good enough to keep? That's a head scratcher. How did the others not win one while the other "servicable QB's did?

I was at the game a couple of years ago when we beat the Chiefs 35-34 with a 3 touchdown come back in the second half. He didn't play that good in the first half or we wouldn't have been done 21 points. The come back was the work of the same guy everybody is leaving for dead...Drew Brees.

What a guy is thinking can't yet be measured. His confidence had taken a beating, and that might be the chink in his armour? He hasn't had all the pieces yet. Confidence is a huge part of competing, the mental aspect is not talked about because it's not tangible. Most people see good pass, bad pass, and they think accordingly. If Drew was given an ideal situation, and our team is as close to that as we have been since 94, he and OUR CHARGERS will have a great chance to win every ball game they suit up for.

billyb
10-09-2004, 04:48 PM
hey I went to the jets game! 0-6 at half time wide open recievers and he had time.Lets blame it on the water boy and not drew. does that make you happy, ive seen high school qbs that can thow a 10 yard pass to LT just call it as it is! I went to the titans game too. If he plays like that im all for him playing,but 0-6 is 0-6 and that doesnt do it in the nfl.

osgood2good
10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
I personally see something different (in a good way) about Bress this year. Don’t get me wrong I was never a huge Brees fan….but his back is firmly against the wall this time…and for problem the last time with the chargers. But even when he’s calling play’s at the line, he seems like he’s scanning the defense and his receivers better than the last couple of years. I think brees will give us a good year. At lest better then just two win like the critics say. I would love to see him be successful on another team one day. If anything…. If he loves the chargers so much as people say then place him as backup... Or We can probably get a decent player for him.

billyb
10-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree ,Im looking forward to seeing pr but if brees excells Ill wait till next year! What I see thats different in drew this yearis hes getting rid of the ball a lot faster and making his reads and not standing back there like ryan leaf. brees is a class guy, but the games ive seen of pr ,hes somthing special

osgood2good
10-09-2004, 05:49 PM
agree 100%

geekster
10-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I'll respond again after this Sunday - I promise! In the mean time - THIS particular Sunday is possibly Drew's most important game thus far.

SDynasty
10-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by: billyb
hey I went to the jets game! 0-6 at half time wide open recievers and he had time.Lets blame it on the water boy and not drew. does that make you happy, ive seen high school qbs that can thow a 10 yard pass to LT just call it as it is! I went to the titans game too. If he plays like that im all for him playing,but 0-6 is 0-6 and that doesnt do it in the nfl.

Billy, I too was at the game, and they (the receivers) had quite a few dropped balls. Either Drew threw the passes too early, or they didn't get their heads around early enough. But they acted suprised to see the ball and weren't ready for the catch.

WHITELIGHTNING
10-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Why is it that when Brees couldn't hit a mountain if he was standing on top of it, it's always someone elses fault, it's the O-Line, it's the recievers, it's Cams fault, it's marty's fault, it's brian s fault. Do you get my drift, brees aint no Joe Montana, not even close. Brees is a nice young man trying to make it in the NFl and the book is still out on him, I dont think he will ever be a great QB but thats just my opinion.

Thunderstruck
10-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Brees had bad games. Anyone who can't admit that is blind. Especially the Jets game he just played horrible. BUT...it happens. Now, if it wasn't coming on the heels of a bad 2003 campaign, a lot of fans probably would have just written it off as a bad game. But to most of us, it looked like the offense was picking right up where it left off last year, and it made the Houston game look like a fluke.

The Denver game was less about Drew and more about terrible playcalling, IMO. Drew didn't play great in that game, but I didn't think he was anywhere near as bad as in the Jets game.

Now, after the last two games, the game against the Texans no longer looks like a fluke. The Jets game looks like the fluke...at least to me.

I think as long as we get consistent o-line play and start games aggressive, what we've seen the last two weeks will be typical. We may not always get off to a 21-0 start, but the Chargers have proven that if they can take the lead early, they will probably win. They just have to avoid the disastrous first quarter.

billyb
10-12-2004, 06:03 PM
i agree with you ,he had two bad games. I also went to the titans and jags games and he played two solid games. After suffering through leaf, and breeses development years, Im just enjoying the hell out of winning some games and looking like were a very solid team! Our o line handled the jags big d line
and we did what we had to against the titans, they looked solid pounding green bay!
If brees had played like this last year,we wouldnt have drafted another QB,and we would have drafted
Gallery,or a wideout. He put himself and the team in this situation! I say lets make a run,enjoy it! And hand the ball to PR next year.

michael
10-12-2004, 09:14 PM
i disagree that drew put himself and the team in the situation that another QB had to be drafted........what a bunnch of nonsense!

he had absolutely NO PROTECTION last year....what...did you think he should overcome that?? oh...and just stand in the pocket and be confident when he knows hes about to bet leveled by a 275 pound DE with 4.5 speed comin at his blind side???

i just think that statement is beyond inaccurate -

and it is totally feasible for us to be in a situation where drew comes into his own and just becomes the franchise QB we hoped for since we got him.

then what about PR? well, i believe it will be shown that once again the Chargers know how to blow the big draft......all along i was pullin for gallery and was dumbfounded when we didnt address our TRUE problems....(either lines of scrimmage and secondary)

drew is making the front office look DUMB right now and if you dont think drew knows that......

Chargeroo
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Amazing to me that some people can't see a bit of a difference between the o-line of the last couple of weeks and last years o-line and they think that having a rookie at backup changed him. Don't let what's happening on the field get in the way of your warped view of things!

Dstorm2004, did you know that wide receivers are usually expected to get open to have the ball thrown their way? A year ago he threw it to Parker quite a bit (when Parker was not injured) so it's not a case of he can't see Parker or he doesn't like Parker. It's a case of Parker isn't getting open. Osgood hasn't been open yet this year that I've seen. Blaming that on Brees is foolish. Did you not read in the paper a few days ago that Gates said he's been thrown to when he was the fourth choice? That makes me think he's checking off and tossing it to the open guy.

20BUSH04
Amazing how well he does when the reality of the bench can come at any moment.

WHITELIGHTNING
I dont see Brees as great, average yes he's getting the job done. some of our other recievers have to step it up and get open and soon.

WHITELIGHTNING
I shouldnt be so hard on Brees but I didnt agree with us drafting him, he's ok but he will never be a great ONE and maybe he doesn't have to be.

rrogers
Originally posted by: Dstorm2004
[quote]
Originally posted by: namrepus

what????

Great Quarterbaks GET THE BALL TO THEIR WIDE RECIEVERS AND DONT JUST CHECK DOWN TO THE STUD TE AND RB 90% OF THE FREAKING TIME.

Great Quarterbacks hit receivers in Stride and throw timing routes. When was the last time you ever saw Brees throw a timing route to a spot? NEVER. Even with great protection he never throws a planned route. Its always ends up a check down or a little roll around and hit someone who is finally "open enough" for him to float a pass to.

I swear have some of you ever payed ANY attention to other top tier QB"s and then Watched Brees?

I guess you a stat watcher. I don't put Brees into a catagory of one of the best QB in the league but he doesn't have to. Yes he has LT and a great TE in Gates but the difference is he is using his great players and making good judgements. If you really what to look at the stats look at total points this season, the chargers are second in points only trailing Indy which has a QB that throws 30 times a game. Brees right now is the key to the Chargers wins (no disrespect to LT) he has shown new life this year and I am very pleased with him this year. By the way isn't Farve one of the TOP TIER QB? You see what he has done!

Dstorm2004
Originally posted by: namrepus
I think Brees is a great Quarterback, I think he is just now getting into his own. They are coming out passing, instead of Relying on LT (who is The Best Back in the League) Now they are going to force Defenses to respect the pass as much as the run, and with Gates, and Caldwell making some plays, This will ONLY open up for the running game, and with Jessie Chapmen coming in the last 2 weeks doing well when he is in, the chargers are VERY likely to go on a run, if this continues. As with any QB he will determine the outlook of what goes on, obviously Marty feels comfortable Coming out passing, and letting brees get into a groove early. I think the bolts Defense is Wonderful against the run, and a bit leaky at times against the Pass, but with Jammer and Davis starting they are only going to get better with age, them 2 are young stud CB's and they can turn into Shut down Corners!!! I've been a charger fan for over 15 years, and this is just about as Excited as I've ever been with this team, of young guys, they can do it all.

Good Luck Bolts

Shut VICK down this week!!!

what????

Great Quarterbaks GET THE BALL TO THEIR WIDE RECIEVERS AND DONT JUST CHECK DOWN TO THE STUD TE AND RB 90% OF THE FREAKING TIME.

Great Quarterbacks hit receivers in Stride and throw timing routes. When was the last time you ever saw Brees throw a timing route to a spot? NEVER. Even with great protection he never throws a planned route. Its always ends up a check down or a little roll around and hit someone who is finally "open enough" for him to float a pass to.

I swear have some of you ever payed ANY attention to other top tier QB"s and then Watched Brees?

chargers2005
Brees has leadership. All the players on the team love the way he leads his team in the huddle. Brees is a young quarterback, consistancy will come. I dont care who is the starting qb tomlinson is the leader of this football team.

chargers2005
Brees has leadership. All the players on the team love the way he leads his team in the huddle. Brees is a young quarterback, consistancy will come. I dont care who is the starting qb tomlinson is the leader of this football team.

lego
Originally posted by: neodiver
Flutie has it.....Favre has it.......Elway had it.......Mcnabb has it......Rivers has it.

I can whole heartedly respect what you see in Rivers. I remember being stationed in North California and I had the privledge of watching John Elway for 2 years out of Stanford. Man I remeber talking about his qualities watching him play every week. I knew he was special and going places before he was ever drafted. He just had that quality you can reconize.

WHITELIGHTNING
it's not that brees is that bad, it's just that he aint that good.

namrepus
I think Brees is a great Quarterback, I think he is just now getting into his own. They are coming out passing, instead of Relying on LT (who is The Best Back in the League) Now they are going to force Defenses to respect the pass as much as the run, and with Gates, and Caldwell making some plays, This will ONLY open up for the running game, and with Jessie Chapmen coming in the last 2 weeks doing well when he is in, the chargers are VERY likely to go on a run, if this continues. As with any QB he will determine the outlook of what goes on, obviously Marty feels comfortable Coming out passing, and letting brees get into a groove early. I think the bolts Defense is Wonderful against the run, and a bit leaky at times against the Pass, but with Jammer and Davis starting they are only going to get better with age, them 2 are young stud CB's and they can turn into Shut down Corners!!! I've been a charger fan for over 15 years, and this is just about as Excited as I've ever been with this team, of young guys, they can do it all.

Good Luck Bolts
Shut VICK down this week!!!

WHITELIGHTNING
I believe is playing well and is showing he can play when everything is going right, however I dont believe brees can over come the bad times. He seems to press to much and try to make things happen that simply arent there. I would trade him while he's hot though.

ziggyp22
NO.....not a prayer. This Brees charade ends in Week#6.

mikeg0606
Is Drew Brees actually showing up for games? Will the kind of play weve seen with 18-20 something and NO INTERCEPTIONS with actuall passing touchdowns continue for the rest of the season? What do y'all think?

SDynasty
Originally posted by: ed
No hes not that bad but he's no favre or even hasselback they are consistent.

ED do you remember Favres early days...??? Running around like a chicken with his head cut off, slinging the ball all over the lot, forcing the ball into double and triple coverage. He wasn't always a superbowl champion.

SDynasty
Originally posted by: Psquared
It'd be nice if he would've played to his rating in ALL the games.

And it would be nice if I never lost a deal to a competitor over 1% in pricing, BUT that just isn't realistic. You have to judge him on the "body of work" a complete season, with all entities at his disposal. A good line, an all pro running back, a good receiving corp, solid D, and ST, good play calling.

geekster
I agree with your point that Rivers must prove himself in the Pro environment. I also hope everyone gets my point about the inconsistency of Brees. It his lack of leadership, not lack of ability that causes the problem....IMO
On a lighter note other than NCSU, Rivers was recruited by other schools as a Tight End!!
Tell ya what - in the only pre-season game he was in I watched PR perform a "full body slam" on a poor little DB that had the audacity to intercept one of his passes! Man that was FUNNY! Showed a bit of the kid's "moxie" and made me think "if this QB thing doesn't work out he'll do ok in the WWF".. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

neodiver
I agree with your point that Rivers must prove himself in the Pro environment. I also hope everyone gets my point about the inconsistency of Brees. It his lack of leadership, not lack of ability that causes the problem....IMO
On a lighter note other than NCSU, Rivers was recruited by other schools as a Tight End!!

geekster
As an NCSU fan, I followed Rivers closely for 4 years. From day 1 I saw a difference in this kid.....
Leadership
He can pick up a team when they are down and raise the bar for everyones performance.
Flutie has it.....Favre has it.......Elway had it.......Mcnabb has it......Rivers has it.
Brees does not. The game plan doesn't work and the mess hits the fan, Brees is not able to motivate. To be quite honest, Brees is a pretty darn good quarterback but a crappy leader. That is the reason for his inconsistency. Stuff goes good, he looks good. Stuff goes bad he hits the tank.
THAT is why Rivers was drafted...not numbers, not strong arm, not pretty throwing motion........
Leadership.
While I can appreciate your Fan loyalty (and thanks for taking the time to tell us a bit more about PR) - there is a huge difference between being a leader in the college ranks and a leader on the professional football field. The old "rah rah", "go team go", "one for the gipper", and so forth simply doesn't work in a non-school environment. Being a leader on the field in college simply does NOT directly translate into the pros - along with everything else that causes Rooks to make mistakes...

I think PR is smart enough to realize this - wait, and gain the respect of the team for HIS own play - before he starts trying to "uplift" any of his team's players through "leadership"... There is a time to lead and a time to follow - you "lead" a pro team by properly managing the game and doing your job right first.

He sure looks like the real deal to me, or at least like a Rook that "could" turn into the real deal when it is his time. When he finally does get into a game, no matter how he got there, he is going to be dependant a lot more on his own preparation and that quick release than anything else. We will know if he is a "leader" in the pros a little further on down the pike. We'll know if he's "got it" in the bigs after he plays up here a spell.

neodiver
As an NCSU fan, I followed Rivers closely for 4 years. From day 1 I saw a difference in this kid.....

Leadership

He can pick up a team when they are down and raise the bar for everyones performance.

Brees does not. The game plan doesn't work and the mess hits the fan, Brees is not able to motivate. To be quite honest, Brees is a pretty darn good quarterback but a crappy leader. That is the reason for his inconsistency. Stuff goes good, he looks good. Stuff goes bad he hits the tank.

THAT is why Rivers was drafted...not numbers, not strong arm, not pretty throwing motion........

Leadership.

WHITELIGHTNING
By midseason, Drew will be at the bottom of the rankings.

geekster
Toooooooot! SLAM! tOOT? BANG! to.... OUCH!

TrumpetDude
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
I told Trumpy a couple weeks ago he needs to rush out onto the field before every home game and body-slam Drew onto his melon. That should avoid any future slow starts.

Philip Rivers has been coaching me on his WWF take down move. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

coryhartford
Originally posted by: geek
If the O line holds up.. so does Drew's numbers..

What do you mean hold up? Are there specific parameters that you have for holding up versus letting down? Sacks? If he holds the ball too long hes gonna get sacked. I always see that agruement and I wonder what people use as a baseline for the line doing well. With the QB you have good data in Attempts, completions, int, td's to evaluate his performance. If those numbers are down for Drew, there is always someone here that says "The oline sucks. They didn't protect him." And I bet each guy says that with a different benchmark. What are the fundamental parameters of the oline performing well?

Localboy
WOW, you just compared Brees to Favre. I want brees to do good so we could get a trade for him by the 19th. We already have Rivers he's the Future.

IgorUnchained
The whole team has suffered from inconsistency the whole year. If you put 9 guys in the box and rush 80% of the time-- LT has problems running and the young inexperienced O line falls apart and Brees can either throw the ball quickly or end up on his can (or both)-- I saw it a million times against the Titans and I would suppose that it has happened every game.
The only way to beat a D that is doing this is to get some quick mid range passes completed and throw the occasional long ball. This still wouldnt guarantee that the wide receivers wouldnt let it bounce off of their chest or like Parker occasionally, just not even see the ball coming.

geek
If the O line holds up.. so does Drew's numbers..

Thunderstruck
Originally posted by: foty89
Inconsistency is his big problem. I am actually starting to believe that he needs to be injured to focus on the game better. In the two games that he was injured, he did well after the injuries. Maybe we should arrange to have him dinged up every week. Maybe he could take the red jersey off in practice and the defense could tag him a few times so that his head is on straight for the game.

Go Bolts!

I told Trumpy a couple weeks ago he needs to rush out onto the field before every home game and body-slam Drew onto his melon. That should avoid any future slow starts. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

rrogers
Originally posted by: Shamrock
Right now Brees is the NFL's 7th rated QB:

LEADING PASSERS ...Points

Culpepper, Min. 124.8

Manning, Ind. 115.4

McNabb, Phi. 110.5

Pennington, NY-J 104.4

Brady, N.E. 102.8

Bulger, St.L 96.2

Brees, S.D. 95.5

If Brees stays over 90 passer rating it keeps LT's running game going.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/leaders.htm

HellsBells
I am just scared about when he comes back to SD playing for another team...then he will light us up...

foty89
Inconsistency is his big problem. I am actually starting to believe that he needs to be injured to focus on the game better. In the two games that he was injured, he did well after the injuries. Maybe we should arrange to have him dinged up every week. Maybe he could take the red jersey off in practice and the defense could tag him a few times so that his head is on straight for the game.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Dstorm2004
In say he is decent about 4 times a year.......

His rating is so high because its only factoring 4 games. 2 of which he was AWEFUL in.

If he can put 4-5 games in a row together with solid play it will be time to reevaluate his performance.

Lucas
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif
Brees needs consistency Wiki he has a good game one week and a bad one the next.
He is not bad but hi is not great either.
He needs to win this game and start erasing the losses in his and our heads.

Psquared
It'd be nice if he would've played to his rating in ALL the games.

Shamrock
Right now Brees is the NFL's 7th rated QB:

LEADING PASSERS ...Points
Culpepper, Min. 124.8
Manning, Ind. 115.4
McNabb, Phi. 110.5
Pennington, NY-J 104.4
Brady, N.E. 102.8
Bulger, St.L 96.2
Brees, S.D. 95.5

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/leaders.htm

ed
No hes not that bad but he's no favre or even hasselback they are consistent.

wikimama
Brees has throw 6 TD and 2 Picks. That isn't all that bad! He is just as good as Favre and Hassleback.
He needs to find consistency though.

yodafro
10-14-2004, 10:56 AM
I support Drew. I support whom ever is chosen to be the QB