PDA

View Full Version : It's kind of looking like I told you so

SDynasty
10-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Arm chair GM's and Drew Brees haters, the chargers are 3-2. Drew looks like a QB that plays on a GOOD TEAM.

I have mentioned the play calling, most teams run to set up the pass. Drew and the Chargers do much better when we pass first and run second. Today's first 8 plays or so were all passes, and we rolled again getting out to a fast start.

I'm afraid another bad front office move looms on the horizon. There are a couple ifs, but this could really stink.

Cincinnati drafted Palmer to be their savior. Kitna had a great year last year and got "The Bungles" one game from the playoffs. Clearly moving in the right direction, the best season they have had in years. They make the move of putting Palmer in as the starter this year, and he looks lost.

If the Chargers get to the playoffs or miss by one game, I'm almost afraid to see what happens.

Critter
10-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by: 214SD6
Arm chair GM's and Drew Brees haters, the chargers are 3-2. Drew looks like a QB that plays on a GOOD TEAM.
I have mentioned the play calling, most teams run to set up the pass. Drew and the Chargers do much better when we pass first and run second. Today's first 8 plays or so were all passes, and we rolled again getting out to a fast start.
I'm afraid another bad front office move looms on the horizon. There are a couple ifs, but this could really stink.
Cincinnati drafted Palmer to be their savior. Kitna had a great year last year and got "The Bungles" one game from the playoffs. Clearly moving in the right direction, the best season they have had in years. They make the move of putting Palmer in as the starter this year, and he looks lost.
If the Chargers get to the playoffs or miss by one game, I'm almost afraid to see what happens.

I am not sure I understand this post.

The decision has already been made. They paid Rivers 40 mil and he will be the starter next year.

If people are really Drew fans, be happy he is playing well now, helping the Chargers win games and will now get another shot with another team next year.

I thought they would trade Drew before the deadline. No way do they do that now. He will start the rest of the season unless he lays an absolute bomb on the field.

Johndbr
10-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by: Critter

I am not sure I understand this post.
The decision has already been made. They paid Rivers 40 mil and he will be the starter next year.
If people are really Drew fans, be happy he is playing well now, helping the Chargers win games and will now get another shot with another team next year.
I thought they would trade Drew before the deadline. No way do they do that now. He will start the rest of the season unless he lays an absolute bomb on the field.

There is one little wrinkle to your logic, it is called a New Stadium. How many people will back the ownerships desire to build a new stadium if he lets a winning popular player go? Not many and definitely not enough. You will never get that kind of measure passed doing that kind of stuff. He has to get the band-wagoners on board or his dreams are toast. Hence he must keep Brees if Brees continues to play as good as he has.
Also, I forgot what, but there is another big thing on the 2006 ballot that he will be competing with, because it is a given it will pass. The Chargers are between a rock and a hard spot in getting the new stadium measure passed and the only way out is to win and as long as Brees keeps proving that he is the best man of the job, he will be retain and it will be Pine Rivers.

John B.

Critter
10-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by: Johndbr
There is one little wrinkle to your logic, it is called a New Stadium. How many people will back the ownerships desire to build a new stadium if he lets a winning popular player go? Not many and definitely not enough. You will never get that kind of measure passed doing that kind of stuff. He has to get the band-wagoners on board or his dreams are toast. Hence he must keep Brees if Brees continues to play as good as he has.
Also, I forgot what, but there is another big thing on the 2006 ballot that he will be competing with, because it is a given it will pass. The Chargers are between a rock and a hard spot in getting the new stadium measure passed and the only way out is to win and as long as Brees keeps proving that he is the best man of the job, he will be retain and it will be Pine Rivers.
John B.

Nice theory but in my opinion you are grabbing at straws. Management is not going to have both of those guys salaries on the roster.

Rivers is our starter next year.

I didn't make the decision, don't shoot the messenger. That decision was made 6 months ago.

tmvalence4
10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I think it's CINCY here we come!!! and that sucks.. Hey do you think there calling for Trent Greens job in KC??? I wonder who THEY will draft to replace him?

Critter
10-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by: tmvalence4
Hey do you think there calling for Trent Greens job in KC??? I wonder whjo THEY will draft to replace him?

You are talking about a QB that led his team to a 13-3 record and a playoff appearance.

Apples and Oranges.

If Drew manages that feat this season then it would become a valid point.

RMANCIL
10-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Fact is Brees is playing very well.The team just won its bigest victory in several years and did so in a offense that Brees shinned in. If Brees shinnes the rest of the way their will be some choices to be made next season.

Fact is back in 1989 the Cowboys drafted two QB number 1#. In the regular draft they selected Troy Aikman and in the suplemental draft they took Steve Walsh.Both QB were equaly highly rated at the time and as you may remember Aikman won the battle and Walsh was traded during his second season to the Saints.

The fact that Rivers has the huge contract does tie him to the club to a strong degree. Brees has come a long ways this season and the season is young still don't count anything as concrete. I must say again however in my opinion the club did make a mistake on drafting another young QB with Brees already on the team.

Funny how bad Leftwich looked when he was getting big pressure,his passes were high and off target,food for thought.

Critter
10-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by: RMANCIL
I must say again however in my opinion the club did make a mistake on drafting another young QB with Brees already on the team.

Hindsight is 20/20

If Drew had played even close to this well over the last two years this wouldn't be an issue. He didn't play well and management came out publicly in the offseason and stated they wanted to upgrade the position.

Be happy, if Rivers didn't hold out Drew would not even be getting this opportunity to shine. He is making the most of it, good for him. It should bring him a nice paycheck next year for whomever he plays for.

lego
10-11-2004, 08:56 AM

I must say again however in my opinion the club did make a mistake on drafting another young QB with Brees already on the team.

Hindsight is 20/20

If Drew had played even close to this well over the last two years this wouldn't be an issue. He didn't play well and management came out publicly in the offseason and stated they wanted to upgrade the position.

Be happy, if Rivers didn't hold out Drew would not even be getting this opportunity to shine. He is making the most of it, good for him. It should bring him a nice paycheck next year for whomever he plays for.

Though I may agree with you what happens if in 2 years Rivers desn't develope. Do we expend another draft pick again. The plan was to give Drew 4 years, not 3 to develope. The team pannick IMO. If you say 4 years then let it be 4 years. As far as I'm concerned that #1 pick could have been a WR like Fitzgerald. But the decision has been made and we move on. I just hope we don;t have to do this again. It takes 4 years to develope a QB.

WHITELIGHTNING
10-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I will still take Rivers over Brees, I dont hate or dislike brees. Did you not notice that Brees on many of his throws he has to leave his feet to get the ball over the D, sooner or later he will get pounded doing that. I am glad he is doing fine this year, it's great for him and the team.

toalsonj7
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING
I will still take Rivers over Brees, I dont hate or dislike brees. Did you not notice that Brees on many of his throws he has to leave his feet to get the ball over the D, sooner or later he will get pounded doing that. I am glad he is doing fine this year, it's great for him and the team.

What could you possibly base this opinion on? All of Rivers' starts? His impressive training camp? All the snaps he has gotten in actual game time? Why would you take Rivers over Brees right now? Do you really think that Phillip could come into the starting job and be the 5th rated passer in the NFL and continue some success for the chargers. The thing that I don't understand about charger fans is that they are always building for the future. My God, we finally look competitive out there, and you would still take Rivers over Brees. This could be the most ignorant opinion that I have heard yet. Have you realized that the chargers have not been blown out yet and are a few blown defensive coverages away from 4-1 or even 5-0? What could Drew possibly do to earn your approval? For those of you who want to trade your starting qb, who is playing very well; you should have your heads examined. The chargers just beat a pretty good team; be happy.

ziggyp22
10-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Look at Brees opponents that he has done well against and then praise him up.....can't be done! They are all sub-par teams. Atlanta will have a Brees Buffet....just watch!

RMANCIL
10-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Hindsight is 20/20

My remarks were always the same, it has always been my believe that this team needed help on the ol and dl fronts and that if that help arrived the young QB with just now 32 starts would come around.Brees may never be a super QB like Fouts but he doesn't have to with this club.

LT is the main weapon and he is and should remain the focus.If Brees plays smart doesn't try and force the ball and avoids turnover's this team can and will win with him.

If you like you can check out my history on the UT site or ask any of the mods and they will support my take on that being my position. I foresaw the team drafting Rivers, I also foresaw the draft day trade before it happened. I did not agree with the selection not because Rivers was not a good QB but because the team had needs that were bigger in my opinion.

I liked the Vick trade ,I thought the gamble paid of for Butler when Brees fell to him in the top of round 2#. I know QB take time and I always thought Brees would turn out to be a good one if given the time and support.Marty scapegoated Brees last season and while it was true Brees had a struggle he was not the primary problem.Look around and you will see almost all of the ol have changed the defensive H.C. is gone along with Boston and Wiley.

No sir not hindsight for me.

dgjock
10-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Fact is Brees is playing very well.The team just won its bigest victory in several years and did so in a offense that Brees shinned in. If Brees shinnes the rest of the way their will be some choices to be made next season.

Fact is back in 1989 the Cowboys drafted two QB number 1#. In the regular draft they selected Troy Aikman and in the suplemental draft they took Steve Walsh.Both QB were equaly highly rated at the time and as you may remember Aikman won the battle and Walsh was traded during his second season to the Saints.

The fact that Rivers has the huge contract does tie him to the club to a strong degree. Brees has come a long ways this season and the season is young still don't count anything as concrete. I must say again however in my opinion the club did make a mistake on drafting another young QB with Brees already on the team.

Funny how bad Leftwich looked when he was getting big pressure,his passes were high and off target,food for thought.

Kinda makes me think, does anyone here really know what Rivers is actually getting? 40 mil contract does not equal to 40 mil money. When they negotiated the final contract, AJ has the high hand over Rivers' agent, so AJ might include some clauses there that might allow him to trade rivers, or bench him without actually paying any money.

Critter
10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Brees may never be a super QB like Fouts but he doesn't have to with this club.
LT is the main weapon and he is and should remain the focus.If Brees plays smart doesn't try and force the ball and avoids turnover's this team can and will win with him.

This is the part that I do not understand. Should the team not try and upgrade every position if it is underperforming? And Drew Brees has underperformed in his first two years. Management obviously thought so.

What happens if LT goes down? Do you honestly believe the team could lean on Drew to pull some wins out with his play?

Your whole theory of a "game manager" for a QB relies on the rest of the team staying intact for the season.

Sorry, sometimes the team is going to need a playmaker at QB. Even you would have to admit that Drew is not a playmaker, he is a decent system QB. If the system breaks down, Drew will break down.

The last two weeks the system has been great so Drew has played well.

What do I care, I have no say in any decisions. The team is winning and I am happy about it.

Although it burns me that a second round draft pick will walk away without the team getting anything in return I will just have to live with it.

tmvalence4
10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Thats it ,I'll solve this whole Rivers Brees thing for good... F%#@ it I'll QB! Where do I sign up?? Same place I bought the tickets?? Gate C???

RMANCIL
10-11-2004, 09:44 PM

Brees may never be a super QB like Fouts but he doesn't have to with this club.

This is the part that I do not understand. Should the team not try and upgrade every position if it is underperforming? And Drew Brees has underperformed in his first two years. Management obviously thought so.

What happens if LT goes down? Do you honestly believe the team could lean on Drew to pull some wins out with his play?

Your whole theory of a "game manager" for a QB relies on the rest of the team staying intact for the season.

Sorry, sometimes the team is going to need a playmaker at QB. Even you would have to admit that Drew is not a playmaker, he is a decent system QB. If the system breaks down, Drew will break down.

The last two weeks the system has been great so Drew has played well.

What do I care, I have no say in any decisions. The team is winning and I am happy about it.

Although it burns me that a second round draft pick will walk away without the team getting anything in return I will just have to live with it.

IN this system Brees does not have to be a play maker that does not mean he won't be. As long as LT is on the team it is and most likely will be geared towards him. I agree the past two weeks the system has been great and that is what was the major issue before. Brees also was a freshman and a sophmore player he just racked up his 32 start.

The egg is not done if you never allow it to cook.

RMANCIL
10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Critter

I wish we had not wasted our 1# on a QB. We should have traded down again with the Browns we would have a stronger team this year and for years to come.

spysnipedis
10-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Rivers can be traded, think about it Chargers didn't waste any money. Just a #1 draft pick if Rivers is traded. Look at Brees, are you trying to say that Rivers will be as good as Brees is? I think we would be 1-4 if we would of had Rivers starting. Not a Rivers hater, he isn't ready to be a QB. Rivers needs a few years to develop and I don't think Chargers want to wait 2 to 4 years to have a QB ready. I would like Brees to be resigned next year, give Rivers a chance(let him start). If he just messes up, you have Brees, an experienced player. I am not hating on Rivers, just seems the Rivers fans just want Rivers starting and not what is best for the team

Dstorm2004
10-11-2004, 11:27 PM

You dont get it...

Brees is playing better. he is because of the pressure to perform becuae of Rivers. Its that simple. Every nfl commentator has said brees ois not the answer for the last year. Now they are all saying he is playing better. Brees is the one who changed not the rest of the team.

Dstorm2004
10-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Critter

I wish we had not wasted our 1# on a QB. We should have traded down again with the Browns we would have a stronger team this year and for years to come.

You know what.. posts like this are complete hogwash. Brees has SUCKED for nearly 2 full years. I am TIRED of you people ignoring that becuase of a couple games and no turnovers. Brees was ABISMAL last year. Dont give me any crap about the oline and receivers. Flutie came in and even in losing efforts had a far better passer rating, more completions, more td's than INTs.

Its bloody time for some of you to deal with REALITY and stop freaking acting like the last 2 games happened in a vaccuume without any games before it.

Rivers was drafted high for a reason. He was considered by everyone in the know to be basically the same in skill as Eli manning. STOP acting like none of this is unknown.

Brees still cant get it to the WR's on a regular basis, he still gets tunnel vision for LT or Gates. The Only thing that is saving him is Gates is playing HUGE the last 2 games. Lets not forget what happened to Brees in Denver or how he started the Jets game.

Brees may well continue to imrove and play at a high level or he may choke in the second half of the season like he did 2 seasons ago.

Regardless, Rivers is Bigger, has a better arm, is smart, a Nice guy and has much more RAW potential than brees. That is a fact. Does that mean that he will automatically be more successful? NO.. but stop acting like brees is the god man of QB's when no one knows if he will mantain or not at this point.

what will you do if they got rid of Rivers (they cant) and then Brees choked again. You would be crying your eyes out.

Dstorm2004
10-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis
Rivers can be traded, think about it Chargers didn't waste any money. Just a #1 draft pick if Rivers is traded. Look at Brees, are you trying to say that Rivers will be as good as Brees is? I think we would be 1-4 if we would of had Rivers starting. Not a Rivers hater, he isn't ready to be a QB. Rivers needs a few years to develop and I don't think Chargers want to wait 2 to 4 years to have a QB ready. I would like Brees to be resigned next year, give Rivers a chance(let him start). If he just messes up, you have Brees, an experienced player. I am not hating on Rivers, just seems the Rivers fans just want Rivers starting and not what is best for the team

Heck yes Rivers can be FAR BETTER than brees. Will he be? maybe.. But his arm is a heck of a lot better.

You dont freaking kow that Rivers "needs a few years to develope" do you. Some QB's do and some dont. That is a FACT.

toalsonj7
10-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by: Dstorm2004
[quote]

You dont freaking kow that Rivers "needs a few years to develope" do you. Some QB's do and some dont. That is a FACT.

Since this is a fact, give me a couple examples of qb's who came in and immediately exceeded people's expectations and played like a started should. I can certainly give you plenty of examples of big name players that either flopped or took 3 years to develope (Cade Mcnown, Achilles Smith, Andre Ware, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Ron Powlus, Rick Meier). Point is; it takes time for every qb to get to know the offense, get the timing down with his wr's, learn to read defenses, and get used to the speed of the game. To say, that some qb's need years to develope, but some don't is completely 100% false.....I will eat those words if you can give me 3 examples of qb's who came in and immediately succeeded. Let me remind you, the chargers are 3-2; to change your starting qb right now would be the most nonsensical and insulting decision the organization could do.

riverhead
10-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by: toalsonj7

[quote]

Since this is a fact, give me a couple examples of qb's who came in and immediately exceeded people's expectations and played like a started should. I can certainly give you plenty of examples of big name players that either flopped or took 3 years to develope (Cade Mcnown, Achilles Smith, Andre Ware, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Ron Powlus, Rick Meier). Point is; it takes time for every qb to get to know the offense, get the timing down with his wr's, learn to read defenses, and get used to the speed of the game. To say, that some qb's need years to develope, but some don't is completely 100% false.....I will eat those words if you can give me 3 examples of qb's who came in and immediately succeeded. Let me remind you, the chargers are 3-2; to change your starting qb right now would be the most nonsensical and insulting decision the organization could do.

Well... we'll never know until we start the kid, now will we.

RMANCIL
10-12-2004, 08:48 AM
You know what.. posts like this are complete hogwash. Brees has SUCKED for nearly 2 full years. I am TIRED of you people ignoring that becuase of a couple games and no turnovers. Brees was ABISMAL last year. Dont give me any crap about the oline and receivers. Flutie came in and even in losing efforts had a far better passer rating, more completions, more td's than INTs.

Quess what Rookie QB suck!!!! But with time some get better!!!!!

Brees just finished his 32 # start and he is playing better!!!!! deal with the great news!!!! Be happy we are winning!!!!!!! Football is a team game if you choose to ignor the play of the ol last year and the fact that all of the starters with the lone exception of Ball have been replaced then you are missing some very key points.

The defense blew chunks last season that is why they replaced the defensive H.C. Fact!!!!

The WR still are a unit that as a group stink ,Caldwell has improved a lot but we still need help football is a team gameFact!

RMANCIL
10-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Regardless, Rivers is Bigger, has a better arm, is smart, a Nice guy and has much more RAW potential than brees. That is a fact. Does that mean that he will automatically be more successful? NO.. but stop acting like brees is the god man of QB's when no one knows if he will mantain or not at this point.

The one thing I know is that the Bolts are winning with Brees and that is all I care about .

Rivers may be nice ,smart and have a big contract I do not care,not one bit all I want is for my team to keep winning that is the bottom line. Until or more hopefuly unless Brees tanks with the team and the Bolts fall out of the hunt for the playoffs please dear lord allow them the wisdom to keep the same core group of skill players on the field amen!!!!!!

toalsonj7
10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
[i]Originally posted by Riverhead

Well... we'll never know until we start the kid, now will we.

I hope everyone reads the complete jibberish that you posted. What you are asserting is that we tank the rest of the season to give Rivers a chance. What human being in their right mind would bench the 5th leading passer in the NFL, and replace him with a rookie, who missed 29 practices in camp and has been less than impressive in the preseason games. The logic that some people on this board use, absolutely baffles me. "Hey, we have a winning record, let's change our qb."

Dstorm2004
10-12-2004, 10:31 AM

[quote]

Ok...

Marino
payton Manning (you are dead wrong that he did not impress his first year)
Elway
Brady

Heck half the names you threw out did not even make the Cut in the First place.. Rick Meier?? Good grief.

What you said is completely FALSE. You can toss ouot Flop QB's all day to try and make your straw man argument. It does not matter. The bottom line is Some QB's start to erpform ADEQUATELY within a year.

Chargeroo
10-12-2004, 10:58 AM

Ok...

Marino

Elway

Brady

Heck half the names you threw out did not even make the Cut in the First place.. Rick Meier?? Good grief.

What you said is completely FALSE. You can toss ouot Flop QB's all day to try and make your straw man argument. It does not matter. The bottom line is Some QB's start to erpform ADEQUATELY within a year.
Do you ever look anything up before you post it? A quick check would have told you that Elway was bad his rookie year. Brady was on the bench his entire rookie year and didn't get a start until Bledsoe was injured in Brady's second season. Even Peyton Manning didn't do great as a rookie - 56.7 compl. % and more Ints. than TD's. Dan Marino is really the only guy on your list that did real well as a rookie.

toalsonj7
10-12-2004, 11:24 AM

[quote]

Ok...

Marino

Elway

Brady

Read. I said, big name players that either flopped or never panned out. Rick Meier was a big name when he was in college. You make a statement that held no weight whatsoever. I live in Indianapolis, and trust me Peyton was not good until his 3rd year; he threw so many interceptions, and I think that Brady sat out his rookie year. Why do you talk about things that you are clueless about?

WHITELIGHTNING
10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Brees is a gonner at seasons end so if we wait to play Rivers next year then we go back into the tank again for 3 years is what IM seeing in here. I think it would be better to move Brees get a pick and get Rivers going now so the learning curve is less in time. Big Ben is doing just fine so I believe Rivers should be ok, these guys are different players than even just 10 years ago.

yodafro
10-14-2004, 11:01 AM
I think we'll have a better record than 8-8

HellsBells
10-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING

You haven't (or anyone) seen Rivers play in the NFL yet though...

tmvalence4
10-16-2004, 03:19 PM
I AM BETTER THAN PHILLIP!! PLEASE GIVE ME TIME!!!!