PDA

View Full Version : TA McClendon???


tourplayer2004
10-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Any thoughts as to TA McClendon of NC State being a good prospect for the Bolts in a couple of years? He is proven to be a good match with Phillip Rivers since they were at the same college. Your thoughts?

Go Pack! Go Bolts!

attila
10-11-2004, 08:10 PM
We should be set at RB for some time: we have one great one and two good backups. Also, TA seems to always be injured.

Chargers
10-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Yeah I don't see any place for him to play. Not even special teams at this point.

yodafro
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
We have Chatman and Turner

Rip
10-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Why the hell would we even want him?

We already have the best RB in the league, and TA is no where near LT's level, i dont even know if he is in Chapman's class, plus we have have Turner who was a steal.

We are set at RB for the next 10 years

tourplayer2004
10-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Did not realize that this question would tick you off. Better hop back on the Zoloft Rip. I was merely asking because he and PR play well together. They know how the other one thinks. The only thing TA is bad for is injuries. Now that is a BIG "thing" I know. But when he is healthy, there aren't many defenses that can stop him. As for him being in the same league with LT.........well........of course not now. LT has NFL gametime experience. TA carries defenses with him down the field. He is a true fighter. A "man among boys"......I think he would be a "man among boys" in the NFL as well........if he could stay healthy. But also remember.......he will play right through injury and pain to get the yardage needed. Heart is very important too.

Yes you are "set" at RB. But should you put all your eggs in one basket? What happens if you lose LT for the year due to some injury? (I hope not) But what if it happened. Then you transfer all your hopes on slightly better than average RBs. Wouldn't that really scare other defenses for them to know that no matter who you have running the ball, your looking at 7 to 10 yards? (Or more) It was just a thought. Didn't realize that the mere idea would give you nausea. (The way it sounded to me) Just trying to pick a topic OTHER than QB.

My $0.02

HireBradChildres
10-15-2004, 07:53 PM
While we're at it, let's draft Matt Leinart as backup, just in case!!!

Rewound
10-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by: HireBradChildres
While we're at it, let's draft Matt Leinart as backup, just in case!!!


Excellent idea. Having 5 QBs would be a luxury. (Where have I heard something like that before?)

Rewound
10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by: Rewound

Excellent idea. Having 5 QBs would be a luxury. (Where have I heard something like that before?)

Oh, sorry, we'll be down to 2 QBs by the time Leinart is drafted so 3 QBs would be fine.

lepersquall
10-15-2004, 11:01 PM
chatman busted 100+ yards against one of the best defenses in the league, he probably would be starting on some teams.

riverhead
10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by: tourplayer2004
Did not realize that this question would tick you off. Better hop back on the Zoloft Rip. I was merely asking because he and PR play well together. They know how the other one thinks. The only thing TA is bad for is injuries. Now that is a BIG "thing" I know. But when he is healthy, there aren't many defenses that can stop him. As for him being in the same league with LT.........well........of course not now. LT has NFL gametime experience. TA carries defenses with him down the field. He is a true fighter. A "man among boys"......I think he would be a "man among boys" in the NFL as well........if he could stay healthy. But also remember.......he will play right through injury and pain to get the yardage needed. Heart is very important too.

Yes you are "set" at RB. But should you put all your eggs in one basket? What happens if you lose LT for the year due to some injury? (I hope not) But what if it happened. Then you transfer all your hopes on slightly better than average RBs. Wouldn't that really scare other defenses for them to know that no matter who you have running the ball, your looking at 7 to 10 yards? (Or more) It was just a thought. Didn't realize that the mere idea would give you nausea. (The way it sounded to me) Just trying to pick a topic OTHER than QB.

My $0.02

I think TA should finish up his Junior year... without injury for Pete's sake and sign a pro contract FAST...before he trips getting out of bed and really hurts himself.

I love to watch him run over people, carrying bodies with him, but I'd like to see him go to a team that needs a running back. If I were a running back and I was drafted by the Chargers I've got to be thinking..oh this is great ...I'll just get in there and take LT's job. No way.

How about Miami? BTW, I hope he's healthy for the Hurricanes this weekend. When TA's healthy, Ain't nobody stopping him. GO PACK!

tourplayer2004
10-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by: riverhead
I think TA should finish up his Junior year... without injury for Pete's sake and sign a pro contract FAST...before he trips getting out of bed and really hurts himself.

I love to watch him run over people, carrying bodies with him, but I'd like to see him go to a team that needs a running back. If I were a running back and I was drafted by the Chargers I've got to be thinking..oh this is great ...I'll just get in there and take LT's job. No way.

How about Miami? BTW, I hope he's healthy for the Hurricanes this weekend. When TA's healthy, Ain't nobody stopping him. GO PACK!



Yeah....GO PACK. They should do well this weekend if TA is healthy. Washington needs to show up as well. Pull hard for the Pack this weekend........my prediction below. (I hope)

Pack 31
Canes 24

(Please happen)

number1fan17
10-19-2004, 03:16 PM
I honestly believe that McClendon is one of the greatest players I've ever seen. In college ball that is. I don't think he has what it takes to be phenomenal in the NFL, but who knows? I think the Bolts are pretty set right now, but I will admit that seeing Rivers and McClendon back together would be great. I don't think we need to go making too many drastic changes. We have wonderful players that have the potential to do wonderful things. Why they're not doing it now is beyond me. I'm a little upset with Brees this season although his past couple games have been quite good. It'd be nice to see how Rivers does starting. I think he may prove alot of you wrong who are still not confident in him. He's got great potential even though he signed late and missed 20 some odd practices. If someone would give him a chance to prove himself, you'd be surprised at how much he can accomplish.

StaggeringSwede
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Howdy to all. My 1st post here. Yikes!

We're set at RB for years. Turner was a 5th round steal who could have gone in the 2nd. However, Neal is getting on in football years, though still going strong. But 2 years from now?

How about a late round FB from the Navy? Kyle Eckel-5'11"/240- would likely go by the 4th if he played elsewhere. FB isn't a high priority in the draft anymore, but this guy can run it some too. He has the requisite 2 year post draft obligation to the service which would be a timely fit for us. All the better that SD has a convenient base for his remaining commitment.

I had high hopes for Mclendon back when. He was the challenge to Clarett at the time. His high school records were amazing. I think he averaged 7 TDs a game, at least as a senior. His college career has been solid, if not spectacular. He has been hampered by minor, but annoying injuries pretty much throughout. He'd be a decent 2nd rounder (at best) this year. But not for us. Not next year either. I think our man Turner has a brighter future in the pros. He's bigger and faster and can give a hit rather than take it all the time.

Pardon my lengthy post (Actually, this is a short one). That's my M.O. , rather than a million of 'em. You'll get used to it, if not my original and sometimes screwy ideas. Carry on.

Boltjolt
12-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by: tourplayer2004
Did not realize that this question would tick you off. Better hop back on the Zoloft Rip. I was merely asking because he and PR play well together. They know how the other one thinks. The only thing TA is bad for is injuries. Now that is a BIG "thing" I know. But when he is healthy, there aren't many defenses that can stop him. As for him being in the same league with LT.........well........of course not now. LT has NFL gametime experience. TA carries defenses with him down the field. He is a true fighter. A "man among boys"......I think he would be a "man among boys" in the NFL as well........if he could stay healthy. But also remember.......he will play right through injury and pain to get the yardage needed. Heart is very important too.

Yes you are "set" at RB. But should you put all your eggs in one basket? What happens if you lose LT for the year due to some injury? (I hope not) But what if it happened. Then you transfer all your hopes on slightly better than average RBs. Wouldn't that really scare other defenses for them to know that no matter who you have running the ball, your looking at 7 to 10 yards? (Or more) It was just a thought. Didn't realize that the mere idea would give you nausea. (The way it sounded to me) Just trying to pick a topic OTHER than QB.

My $0.02


I think Chatman and Turner could do the job just fine if LT went down. You call them average RB's...what would TA McClendon be? Not like he is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick and if he was..why would we need to waste that high a pick on another RB?

McClendon would be lucky to be a first day pick which isnt to say he doesnt have talent, but is he one of the top 96 best players? Id say no...which makes him a 2nd day pick most likely in the 5th round......which makes him that average RB you mentioned we have which is where we got Michael Turner who was a steal in the 5th round.

MoveitMister
12-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by: StaggeringSwede
Howdy to all. My 1st post here. Yikes!

We're set at RB for years. Turner was a 5th round steal who could have gone in the 2nd. However, Neal is getting on in football years, though still going strong. But 2 years from now?

How about a late round FB from the Navy? Kyle Eckel-5'11"/240- would likely go by the 4th if he played elsewhere. FB isn't a high priority in the draft anymore, but this guy can run it some too. He has the requisite 2 year post draft obligation to the service which would be a timely fit for us. All the better that SD has a convenient base for his remaining commitment.

I had high hopes for Mclendon back when. He was the challenge to Clarett at the time. His high school records were amazing. I think he averaged 7 TDs a game, at least as a senior. His college career has been solid, if not spectacular. He has been hampered by minor, but annoying injuries pretty much throughout. He'd be a decent 2nd rounder (at best) this year. But not for us. Not next year either. I think our man Turner has a brighter future in the pros. He's bigger and faster and can give a hit rather than take it all the time.

Pardon my lengthy post (Actually, this is a short one). That's my M.O. , rather than a million of 'em. You'll get used to it, if not my original and sometimes screwy ideas. Carry on.Welcome aboard, Swede. We've been expecting you.

geekster
12-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by: StaggeringSwede
Pardon my lengthy post (Actually, this is a short one). That's my M.O. , rather than a million of 'em. You'll get used to it, if not my original and sometimes screwy ideas. Carry on.
Looking forward to some good reads! Again, Welcome Aboard Swede!

StaggeringSwede
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Mclendon has announced his intent to enter the draft this year. Projected as a late 2nd round pick.

Eckel ran up some big numbers in the Army/Navy game. He looked like a rather stiff and straight ahead and catch me if you can type to me and probably won't make it as a runner in the pros. He ran so much he wasn't used as a blocker, so I couldn't get a gauge on that aspect of his game. All the more likely he lasts till the 6th where I want him still.