PDA

View Full Version : Chargers need to get SURTAIN!

urlacher54
10-15-2004, 10:40 PM
if the chargers were able to trade brees or chapman or turner for Patrick surtain that would be awsome. We need a shutdown corner along with Jammar. ! wat u guys think

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:00 PM
WHY THE F*CK WOULD WE TRADE OUR STARTING QB FOR A DB WHEN WE HAVE DRAFTED/TRADED FOR SO MANY LATELY??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brees will not be traded, now lets stop with this retarded chet!!

guimcharger
10-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Rip I agree. If we want to win this year don't trade Brees. Flecter doesn't look that bad.

Threadkiller
10-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't know. Surtain would be awfully hard to pass up, and I have my doubts that Jammer will ever be a shutdown corner.

I might do this trade; with the O-line playing this well, who's to say that we can't keep winning with Rivers under center? Look at Pittsburgh.

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't think Brees is going anywhere this year---but I could be wrong. This is just the wierdest friggin situation. We've gone from having no QB's to having two QBs, and we want to keep both of them, but we can't. So it looks like our only real option is to let the guy who is the most ready to win now go to another team because all of our money is tied up in Mr. Potential.

Wierdness.

Anyone want to argue that the salary cap is not fundamentally screwed up? I'm telling you, they need make a rookie salary cap. These kids come in the league, make HUGE jack without ever taking an NFL snap, and it forces teams to wave goodbye to proven players. Ridiculous! BUT it happens every friggin year now.

smcards08
10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Rip I hope 3 weeks down the rode you are right I live in Raider country and I am loving the Karma of the Bolts it makes me proud to show the Bolt tatoo and to drive 5 hours for my season seats but brees is not the answer and I hope he proves me wrong

michael
10-15-2004, 11:24 PM
hehe rip.......this is like the 3rd or 4th post ive seen with different scenarios talkin bout trading drew....i come unglued too......

surtain is a preven gem though...but not for our qb who's one of the best rated qb's in the league.

forget the numbers - drew has earned this more than anyone could ever earn it. in the face of critisism and defeat, and in front of an entire organization just waiting for him to screw up so they can put their new high priced rookie in.

god bless drew..god bless the chargers.

urlacher54
10-15-2004, 11:26 PM
DUDE WE NEED TO GET RID OF BREES ANYWAYS, AT THE END OF THE SEASON HIS CONTRACT IS UP. AND WE HAVE RIVERS ANYWAYS AND FACE IT NEXT SEASON HE IS GOING IN NO MATTER WHAT. + BREES DOES NOT WANT TO BE SECOND STRING. ITS THE FACTS U HAVE TO FACE IT GUYS RIVERS WILL START AND BREES IS GOING TO GET TRADED. BETTER TO GET A PLAYER FOR HIM NOW! WHY WAIT AND GET NOTHING FOR HIM. SURTAIN U FOOLS

Threadkiller
10-15-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't think anybody is a fool for wanting to keep a good thing going. I can see both sides, and winning doesn't suck.

BTW, Drew would get KILLED playing behind that crappy Dolphin line. I don't know if he'd do any better than the clowns they got right now.

smcards08
10-15-2004, 11:31 PM
There is no way we get Surtain for Brees, He is to good and we would have to give up more. By the way we would have a better chance of making the playoffs with a shutdown corner than a regular QB. dont forget we have LT and that is why drew can play the small pass offense. 2 passes out of his last 37 completions were thrown by him over 25 yards. the rest are LT, gates and a nice caldwell run. arm stregnth my friends

TrumpetDude
10-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Package Drew Brees, Leon Johnson & give a conditional 7th round pick for Patrick Surtain or Keenan McCardell. Go Chargers !!i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

smcards08
10-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I agree but miami is not that stupid

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by: Threadkiller
who's to say that we can't keep winning with Rivers under center? Look at Pittsburgh.

ME!!

Roeth is the exception not the norm

urlacher54
10-15-2004, 11:38 PM
YUP THATS WHAT I WOULD DO. ITS GREAT THAT WE ARE WINNING, BUT REMEMBER DREW ISNT CONSISTENT. HE COULD FLIP ANYTIME. TRADE BREES AND GET SOMETHING FOR HIM NOW BECAUSE ITZ A WASTE NEXT SEASON. WE ARE WINNING NOW AND I LOVE IT BUT DO U THINK THE CHARGERS CAN MAKE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL? PROBABLY PLAYOFFS BUT THATS IT. WE NEED A SHUTDOWN CORNER. THINK ABOUT IT. TEAMS AVERAGE 270+ PASSING YARDS AGAINST US AND ONLY 87 RUSHING YARDS. IF WE ADD SURTAIN ITS OVER! SURTAIN AND JAMMAR. THATS UNSTOPABLE WITH CLINTON HART MAKING BIG HITS LIKE HE DID PLAYING AGAINST THE JAGS. OUR TEAM IS GREAT AND PHILIP RIVERS SHOULD PLAY SOON. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO CARSON PALMER. THEY SAT HIM OUT A YEAR AND HES STILL STRUGGLING. BUT IN PITSBURG ROESIBURGER IS DOING GREAT. TRADE BREES GET SOMETHING FOR HIM WHILE WE STILL CAN. ITS THE FACTS THINK ABOUT THE FRANCHISE NOT THE MOMENT.

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by: urlacher54
DUDE WE NEED TO GET RID OF BREES ANYWAYS, AT THE END OF THE SEASON HIS CONTRACT IS UP.

So your ready to give up on the season already? Are you french? because you seem to want to give up pretty easily

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by: Rip

who's to say that we can't keep winning with Rivers under center? Look at Pittsburgh.

ME!!

I tend to agree. Rivers could step in and be good right away...but there's absolutely no empirical reason to believe he will--only hope and faith.

I saw Rivers in preseason too. People keep talking about how good he looked for a guy with no practice and how he completed 12 straight passes.

He did look good in stretches. He also looked very, very lost in stretches. So what are we going to get?

I think we'd get more of the same. Put him in real games, he'll look good in stretches, and very bad in stretches--and those stretches of "very bad" will result in "L's". No one can argue reasonably he'll be better than Brees immediately.

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
[No one can argue reasonably he'll be better than Brees immediately.

Sure you can, I mean cmon, look at him, he is taller and has a stronger arm and started alot of college games!!

michael
10-15-2004, 11:46 PM
trade PR for him is what i say

smcards08
10-15-2004, 11:47 PM
the whole point of this should be we have LT and he will be the Diff maker when it is all said and done. block, play D and dont make mistakes..Raven football

urlacher54
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
quote:
So your ready to give up on the season already? Are you french? because you seem to want to give up pretty easily

HOW WOULD I BE GIVING UP THE SEASON ALREADY? ADDING SURTAIN WILL BENEFIT US! DONT U UNDERSTAND HE IS ARGUABLY THE BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE? WE NEED A VETERAIN DEFENSIVE BACK PEOPLE! JAMMAR IS GETTING GOOD, BUT FACE IT WE DONT NEED SAMMY DAVIS GETTING BURNED. OUR PASS DEFENSE IS NOT GOOD BUT OUR RUN DEFENSE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE. WE'VE SHUT DOWN THE RUN, LETS SHUT DOWN THE PASS. ALL RIVERS HAS TO DO IS GIVE THE BALL TO LT AND HE CAN THROW IT DEEP TO CALDWELL AND GATES. SIMPLE. BREES IS NOT THAT GOOD. U GUYS THINK HES LIKE AN ALL STAR OR SOMETHING. A COUPLE GOOD GAMES WOW? HES GONNA FLOP AGAIN PHILIP RIVERS NOW
DEFENSE WILL WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. GET SURTAIN OUR DEFENSE IS GONNA BE UNSTOPABLE. + DRAFT A GREAT WIDE REICVEVER AND LINE BACKER NEXT YEAR WOW.........WE R TALKING SUPERBOWL

Rip
10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by: urlacher54
HOW WOULD I BE GIVING UP THE SEASON ALREADY?

By starting a rookie QB!

smcards08
10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
urlacher it is to easy,,,,you make a logical case this is not the forum for logic, I hope we can still be winning in 4 weeks so we can continue to argue....go chargers

Thunderstruck
10-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Statistically, our run defense is one of the best in the league, but I truly do not believe our run D is that stingy. I seem to remember the yards per carry is not too bad for our opponents.

It's all about offense right now. We get a nice three score lead early, and our opponent becomes one-dimensional. Our defense is neither as good against the run as it appears, nor as bad against the pass as it appears, IMO.

JoeMcRugby
10-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by: Rip

ME!!

Wrong. Rivers could have missed the entire training camp and starred for the Steelers with their o-line, their running game, and Plexiglass, Andal-El and Ward as his wide-outs.

The reason why Big Ben is playing better than any rookie QB since Marino is because he has the best talent for a highly drafted QB surrounding him for the past 20 years.

If the right offer comes along (and Brees plus a throw in or a low round pick is the right offer), bring in Surtain. All of a sudden, Jammer becomes the other corner. When that happens, Q starts making big time plays and the D becomes awesome.

If the deal isn't offered, then go with Brees until he has his inevitable relapse - then in goes Rivers. Two good games in a row isn't Hall of Fame material, after all.

JoeMcRugby
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by: michael
trade PR for him is what i say

So which seven starters will you cut when you trade Rivers? And you'll be replacing those starters with minimum salary - zero experience practice squad players. Think the Chargers will make the playoffs getting rid of 1/3 of their starters at midseason? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

The Chargers are already paying 1/4 of their 2004 salary cap towards players no longer on the team. Add another $15 million to that figure if you trade Rivers.

So, give me your plan. When you trade Rivers, which starters do you cut to get the $15 million off the 2004 payroll and who do you replace them with?

BoltzRule
10-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Man I wish Brees had another year on his contract it would make things a lot easier because we could trade him in the offseason.

But Brees will NOT be traded no matter how many times fans post it, it won't happen unless AJ is overwhelmed by a deal. If we can get Surtain by trading Chatman though that's different.

spysnipedis
10-16-2004, 05:14 AM
wow. shut the f*ck up about trading Brees. he's our starting QB and getting rid of a starting QB and having a guy that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL try to lead the Chargers somewhere, it ain't going to happen. Chargers don't need ANOTHER corner. it's a yound defense give them a chance.

WHITELIGHTNING
10-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Im all for trading Brees but I dont like the idea of also adding in draft picks and more players. Surtain would be nice to have but what makes people think Miami wants to trade him. I cant wait untill the 19th at least we will be over all the trade stuff, either way it will be relief. Sooner or later Brees will get nicked and rivers will get to play and then we'll see what happens.

michael
10-16-2004, 09:32 AM
urlacher....theres a caps lock button on your keyboard and i think its engaged the entire time youre writing stuff. you may want to look into it.

RollinThunder
10-16-2004, 11:21 AM
If this trade were for any other position or for any lesser talent, I'd say no way Jose. Considering CB is arguably the toughest position to play/develop and we are being offered one of the top three, I say we bite. By replacing Davis with Surtain we turn our biggest defensive weakness into another strength. We definitely run the risk of taking a step back at QB. I expect PR and Gates to connect at will - Gates is tough to cover and Rivers' quick release is no joke. All speculation but I say we consider the trade.