PDA

View Full Version : Brees - Rivers

CoopDeVille
10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Ok gents (and ladies).....here is my new question to Chargers fans. We have an interesting situation that will arise late this year to early next year! If Brees keeps playing like he has been and let's just say he takes us to the Playoffs....and maybe even the Super Bowl.....what then happens to our QB situation??

We have our "unproven" future sitting on the bench but we know that A.J. thought we had the best chance with Brees this year or we would have traded him before the deadline. Now if Brees does poorly/gets hurt this year we all know what will happen....Rivers will come in and get some PT before next season. The scenario nobody seems to be thinking about is if Brees takes us to Playoffs or a Super Bowl....what then??? You can't just let the man walk away as a free agent! I mean when was the last time we had a winning record let alone go to the playoffs?? (that was a rhetorical question....don't answer it staticians....because I know when it was)

Now, if Brees has a MONSTER season then what will we do next year at QB??

We have a 3 year QB (Brees) that we are going to just "say" took us to the playoffs!!

We have a multi-million dollar rookie riding the pine.

We have Fluties old @$$ riding the pine too.

We have Cleo Lemon riding the pine as well.

What gives in this scenario??

One possibility is that Rivers gets traded away to the Dolphins....we get Miamis first round draft pick....they trade Ricky Williams away to Oakland for a first and second round pick and then we all know what position Miami will be drafting first!!

That's what I think could happen......

What do you think will happen if Brees has a killer year and we AT LEAST make it to the playoffs???!

Rip
10-20-2004, 04:30 PM
He is a free agent and will leave because some team will give him alot more $$ then we could even think of giving him with the money we are giving rivers. Plus he is going to go somewhere where he is the man and wont have to look over his shoulder every time he throws an INT so even if he leads us to the playoffs, he'll still be a dolphin/Raider/Packer next year

HeadTrip
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
From what ive heard, Rivers cant possibly be traded due to serious cap probs if we did. If Drew takes us to the playoffs, I hope 1 more year can be given to the guy and 1 more year for PR to learn, because unless PR will play like big ben, we will get a serious downgrade at the QB position (as long as drew keeps up his very solid proformances).

WHITELIGHTNING
10-20-2004, 07:35 PM
The sooner Rivers starts the better, Brees is down the road and isn't part of this team next year, or as soon as he gets knocked from the game. There will be no looking back.

HellsBells
10-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Has a number one pick ever been drafted, then traded before ever playing a game??

TrumpetDude
10-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by: HellsBells
Has a number one pick ever been drafted, then traded before ever playing a game??

Eli Manning, John Elway to mention a few.

TrumpetDude
10-20-2004, 07:56 PM
A "Transition Tag" can be used or Franchise tag can be used to keep Brees BUT .....

guimcharger
10-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Brees is done here in San Diego after this year. Don't forget Rivers still is very talented. Next year he won't struggle because he can pull Ben Roesthburger and start off really good. In the long run Rivers will payoff.

Jayree427
10-20-2004, 08:34 PM
What makes this situation uniqe is that were not saying bye bye to a 30 year old qb, its a 25 year old qb thats just going to get better every year were saying good bye to.

Johndbr
10-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Well I for one and it seems I am the only one, think there is good chance Brees will be next year. I do not think he is close yet, but going on the assumption that we go 10-6, I think there will be some heated discussion about this between all parties involved that count and oh ya the forums too. Letting a proven winner walk is hard for any team, it will be almost impossible for this one considering the last 9 years.

On top of that, next year is a very important year for the ownership. They want a new stadium and if Rivers tanks next year, they will have to do something drastic in the off season and then they will only have 6 odd games in 2006 to build momentum for the vote and even if they go 6-0 they will still have plenty of people doubting them considering what happened in the 2002 season. You put all that together and Brees does have a very good chance to be our starter in 2005.

The only argument that really comes out against him {besides the River riders consistent whine to put him in} is the salary cap. What no one considers is we have been in salary cap hell for 3 years now, with losing teams to show for it and somehow they think the Ownership will not go into salary cap hell for a winning team. What sense does that make? At the end of the season the Ownership will have 3 options.

1) Let Brees walk and hope Rivers will be able to pull of a miracle and takes the team to the play offs in his first season, considering the stadium vote in 2006, that is a scary option for them no matter how you twist it.

2) They can keep both QBs and just stick it out. That would hurt, but is do able.

3) Last, they can opt to keep Brees and trade Rivers to a desperate team. What this would mean to the cap is a one time hit of just under 12 million. Now do not forget, they will not really lose that cash, they just have to claim it against the cap if they trade Rivers. They will get that and more from the team they trade him to and the team that gets him will pay throught the nose for him, because they will not have to claim that money against their cap giving them that room to get the other players that they will need to rebuild their team hard and fast. Also it can also easily be gotten around by restructuring the existing players contract and how they structure Brees's new contract. It happens all the time and if the teams players truly believes in Brees they will be more than willing to do that and do not forget, LT has come out and defended Brees on several occasions, if he steps up for Brees and leads the way it is hard to see the rest not following him and in 2006 they get the cap room back.

Now all that is just taking into account what we have now, the fact is we will get 20 million in cap room back in 2005 simply from dead weight contracts being paid to players that have already left like Wiley and mamma's boy boston {TM} (remember that last three years of cap hell I mentioned?). Plus the team will get the natural in crease in cap room from the normal movement of players and the NFLs yearly inflation increase. They can keep Brees and have plenty of cap room to maneuver with.

IF Brees steps up and produces a play off year for the Chargers it is more than do able for the Ownership to keep him and I find it hard to believe they will not do it. The price of failure in 2006 is just to high for them not to.

John B.

tmvalence4
10-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by: Jayree427
What makes this situation uniqe is that were not saying bye bye to a 30 year old qb, its a 25 year old qb thats just going to get better every year were saying good bye to.

One with experience at the NFL level as well..

Rip
10-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by: guimcharger
Next year he won't struggle because he can pull Ben Roesthburger and start off really good. In the long run Rivers will payoff.

I hate this train of thought!!

What people dont realize is that Roeth is the exception, not the norm. Young QB's struggle, its that simple (and besides Roeth and Marino, i have yet to see an example of me being wrong!) Plus, Roeth was/is a better QB then Rivers, and has more weapons around him.

I see this more like the Bengels then the steelers. We draft a QB sit him for the year and watch the imcumbant starter have a great year, then go with the young guy the next year without even giving the other guy a shot at the job, and then struggle badly, and just think, palmer was a #1 overall pick and has Chad Johnson/Peter Warrick/Kelly Washington to go to.

BTW, anyone remember how conservative Marty/Cam were with the playbook with a young Brees, what makes you think they wont go back to that with the rookie in there?

Natedawg01
10-21-2004, 12:51 AM
The reason ben is doing so well is the people around him.

His o-line is giving him time. His receivers are catching the ball. Staley and Bettis run very well and take pressure off him. He's talented, but it's the people around him that have made him 4-0. It also helps when the coach only uses a portion of the playbook to make things simple on him.

So, I believe Rivers can be every bit as good as ben if not better as long as our players around him keep playing at a high level.

Think of it like the Giants situation. Even if Kurt takes them to the SB and wins, he won't be back in Giant land as a starter next year.

JoeMcRugby
10-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by: Rip
BTW, anyone remember how conservative Marty/Cam were with the playbook with a young Brees, what makes you think they wont go back to that with the rookie in there?

Because Marty threw the ball all over the ballpark when he had a rookie QB playing for him whom Rivers is most often compared to: Bernie Kosar. Go back and look at the games and look at the stats. And look at the projections of Big Ben, SquEli and Rivers: even though SquEli and Big Ben were projected as having more upside in the long run, it was nearly unanimous among NFL personnel men that Rivers was the most ready of the three to step in and play immediately.

Rivers will be ready to sling whenever he is called upon. It looks like (barring injury, a Brees meltdown, or a Chargers meltdown) Brees will continue on as the 2004 QB. And good for him - I like Drew.

But the minute the last game of the 2004 season ends for the Chargers, it's Rivers' team for the next decade or so.i/expressions/SDG_Dan_Fouts.gif

lego
10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
I hate to say this. But, I was for keeping Brees for another year for developing and drafting a WR this year. The plan was to develope Brees in 4 years not 3 years. He didn't show signs of improvement last year. Infact it wasn't entirely his fault what happened last year. But the Chargers elected to go with a QB and got Rivers. What this means is that the Chargers will be going thru growing pains next year instead of resigning Brees. If we only had that the #1 receiver this year I think it would have made a huge difference this year. Maybe the differnce between 3-3 to 5-1. Who knows.

All I know is AJ has made his bed and now he must lie in it when next year comes around. If Drew pulls off an MVP type of season or takes us to the SB I don't see the Chargers tagging him. Its kinda sad because the Chargers who prolly could have a proven QB now for next year will now be going thru the growing pains again. I just hope that Rivers is as good as they say he is and proves me wrong and has a year like Ben.

Thunderstruck
10-21-2004, 02:20 PM
What-ifs will keep you up at night. Maybe if David Boston hadn't been so wrong for this team's clubhouse, things would have been different.

However, if things hadn't gone down the way they did last year, Antonio Gates probably wouldn't have gotten a long look like he did.

I still think our biggest problem, by far, last year was the defense.

guimcharger
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM

Next year he won't struggle because he can pull Ben Roesthburger and start off really good. In the long run Rivers will payoff.

I hate this train of thought!!

What people dont realize is that Roeth is the exception, not the norm. Young QB's struggle, its that simple (and besides Roeth and Marino, i have yet to see an example of me being wrong!) Plus, Roeth was/is a better QB then Rivers, and has more weapons around him.

I see this more like the Bengels then the steelers. We draft a QB sit him for the year and watch the imcumbant starter have a great year, then go with the young guy the next year without even giving the other guy a shot at the job, and then struggle badly, and just think, palmer was a #1 overall pick and has Chad Johnson/Peter Warrick/Kelly Washington to go to.

I don't care what you think. You can't say any more than I am saying Rivers will start off good. Rivers is smart and can pick up things quick aka the speed of the game. Rivers next year will have just as many weapons as Big Ben. McCardell, Caldwell, and Parker. Oh yeah L.T. and Gates to bail him out if he gets in trouble. Next year we will have plenty of weapons. As for the Bengals they only have Chad Johnson but highlights of him on ESPN, I saw him dropping a lot of balls. Another tid bit the Bengals aren't losing because of Palmer you can put most of the blame on their horrible defense. Last I checked our Defense is pretty good only to get better next year.

mgpretzel
10-21-2004, 05:06 PM
We'll resign Brees if the Dolphins win the Super Bowl which aint gonna happen Brees aint gonna resign to sit on the bench. Rivers is Gonna start next year period

Rip
10-21-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't care what you think. You can't say any more than I am saying Rivers will start off good. Rivers is smart and can pick up things quick aka the speed of the game. Rivers next year will have just as many weapons as Big Ben. McCardell, Caldwell, and Parker. Oh yeah L.T. and Gates to bail him out if he gets in trouble. Next year we will have plenty of weapons. As for the Bengals they only have Chad Johnson but highlights of him on ESPN, I saw him dropping a lot of balls. Another tid bit the Bengals aren't losing because of Palmer you can put most of the blame on their horrible defense. Last I checked our Defense is pretty good only to get better next year.

Go check what the bengels fans where saying about palmer last year,

Hes big and has a strong arm and is very smart at picking up offense, not to mention he has all those weapons around him in chad johnson, peter warrick, kelly Washington, Rudi Johnson, plsu a very good OL blah blah blah

Where are they now that they benched the vet to go with a rookie?

They went from and 8-8 team that was playing very well to a team that is now 1-4 and are playing terrible, and most of that can be traced back to palmer. He is playing terrible! No matter what you want to think, he is the main reason they are losing! Sure the defense is sucking, but it doesnt help that he only thrown 4 TD's in 6 games, or that he has thrown 8 INT's already. Or how about his 59 QB rating?

Go check what they are saying about Palmer now

I use to get mad when people said we were turning into the bengels, but they are all right.We sucked for so long jsut like them, drafting QB after QB then we draft another one in the top 5 and our incumbant leads us to a great year, then the next year the rookie plays and stinks it up and we start losing again. I know this sounds like im just looking for a pattern, but just remember, Those who ignores history is doomed to repeat it

So you can go ahead and believe that Rivers is gonna be the next Marino right away, but sooner or later, reality will hit you

BTW, our run defense is REALLY good, but our defense as a whole isnt all that great, we are ranked 23rd in the NFL in total defense, and are allowing 23 points per game (23rd in the NFL)

Thunderstruck
10-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Didn't I predict that this would be the logic? That some Bolts fans would see Roth and think "Wow...that means Rivers will be good too!"

Analogy time: If one 10-year old prodigy takes a college graduate course test and gets an "A," does that mean all 10-year-old prodigies can get an "A" on that test? NO! Because not all 10-year-old prodigies are necessarily as advanced as the first one. The first one is exceptional even when compared to other prodigies.

Kwakothunder
10-22-2004, 02:58 AM
What would happen if Brees goes off?

SB - We can't afford him.

Playoffs - See above.

.500 - At this point they go with Rivers.

Goes into the tank - No decision to be made, Rivers is already playing before the end of the season.

It is entertaining reading how someone can rationalize keeping Brees and Rivers or trading Rivers.

Johndbr
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
Didn't I predict that this would be the logic? That some Bolts fans would see Roth and think "Wow...that means Rivers will be good too!"
Analogy time: If one 10-year old prodigy takes a college graduate course test and gets an "A," does that mean all 10-year-old prodigies can get an "A" on that test? NO! Because not all 10-year-old prodigies are necessarily as advanced as the first one. The first one is exceptional even when compared to other prodigies.

What most people are missing is why he is doing do good. His wins have been up against hurting teams,

Miami Win 13-3
Cincinnati Win 28-17
Cleveland Win 34-23
Dallas Win 24-20

how would be faring with our schedule? I do not think he would be doing nearly as good. I think he would be doing better than Palmer, but he is on the better team. Lets see how he does against his next two opponents, the Pats and the Eagles and then see how good we think he really is.

John B.

kingporterblood
10-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I remember some QB named S. Young who sat on the bench forever until Montana got hurt and he turned out fine as well as the 49rs did, from what I here Brees might be hard to resign unless he just wants to stay in SD, otherwise the business side might take him away from us, whatever way it comes out we have great potential in Rivers and thats all good.

bamaboltfan
10-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Brees is doing OK this year. I would not call 4-3 heading to the Super Bowl, but we still have a long way to go. Regardless of the out come of this year and I'm thinking 8-8,9-7.. (still a young team) that Brees days are numbered. Rivers has all the ability to make a great NFL QB and I believe he could have stepped in from day one and have this team at the same place as Brees if not better. Sure, the kid would make some mistakes just as Brees has. Another statement I'm getting tired of hearing is that everyone considers marino to be the guide for rookies QB's.....As I recall, he only played in the last 8 games and lead the NFL in INT's his rookie year....you dont hear about those stats too much these days...hummmmmmm!!

Bottom Line.... this is a rebuilding year for the Chargers (again) and it's looking like we're going to have something to build on for next year. People are going to talk about the QB position here but Rivers is the going to be the man next year and Brees is too much of a man at this point in his career to take a back seat and be the back up ...Look for him to be gone next year and I wish him the best.

I could be wrong...i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Go Bolts !!!

Johndbr
10-25-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by: kingporterblood
I remember some QB named S. Young who sat on the bench forever until Montana got hurt and he turned out fine as well as the 49rs did, from what I here Brees might be hard to resign unless he just wants to stay in SD, otherwise the business side might take him away from us, whatever way it comes out we have great potential in Rivers and thats all good.

A) Ya Young did do good off of the bench IN SAN FRANSISCO, but that was after he was ran out of Tampa {I think, maybe another team} after 2 years of so called incompetent play and then sat on the 49rs bench for a few years learning the game. Marino is the only exception to the rule I know of and he is the exception to the rule.

B) I fully expect that Brees will be hard to resign and might not be here next year out of spite, but if he is offered a real contract, I think you will see him here next year.

John B.

dillona
10-25-2004, 04:04 AM
It seems like most people can't accept the fact that although rookie qb's stuggle they dont guarantee you're downgrading your team. I hate to use big ben just because of the fact that he was drafted the same year as Rivers and at the same time was considered less valuable than Rivers (hence the reason for when he was picked). I've stated this in my posts before, Drew Brees is not the man to lead this team, he continues to throw the ball high which is the one of the main reasons Gates the ex-basketball player is so successful.

The funny thing is that i never discounted Doug Flutie for his size, but I do Brees. After watching a very lucky win against an offenseless Panthers every one of you should ask yourself when watching the Chargers and its third and long where the ball is going.....the numbers dont lie and soon teams are gonna burn us down the stretch when our few successful plays become too transparent. Its a matter of time and more than likely in another year because Brees is gonna make Gates famous by being his only passing asset. Except now we have Keenan McCardell who showed how under rated he really is stepping in and being the wide receiver we've lacked even with Parker, Caldwell, and Osgood (all 3 of them combined dont make a KM). The fact is if McCardell was playing with the Bucs right now, he'd probably have the same yards with whatever 20th string qb they got in there by now. KM will always put up KM numbers when given the chance. I say this after being a Hardcore Bucs fan until Gruden dismantled a better coaches team after the superbowl win. McCardell was one of the single biggest factors for that season and the superbowl, and he's just the kind of WR that can make even a chump like Brad Johnson win one (no offense to Brad but uh....where is he now?)

Another reality that probably going to happen by next year, our backup runningback is probably going to play a more prominant role as a starting HB with the performance he's having for the very obvious reason it allows LT the ability to line up as a WR which strikes me odd they have done already.

In response to the possibility of Rivers being traded to the Dolphins... If we gave them Rivers who some claim is the second coming of Marino......I would become a Raider fan

I'm 100% for the Chargers success, ive been to every homegame this season screaming my head off and loving every minute of it and what I see before the game starts is 3 quarterbacks warming up....one that looks like a physical beast in size with the obvious strongest arm of the 3, second I see a much smaller sized quarterback with similar speed, and third i see minime lost in a football jersey (kidding I love Flutie and maybe its a bit obvious more than Brees). Its hard to really explain just how awesome Rivers looks just in practice but the best reasoning i think everybody should start thinking about for Rivers is how he did in the preseason when he was given quite a bit of time to play, cant remember which game (not like there was many) but he started out throwing an int early on which was just a sign of a typical rookie qb, but the longer he played the more precise he became really driving down the field BASED ON HIM and his ability not because he had the best runningback who wasnt playing, Rivers drove the ball in preseason (emphasizing for the real fact preseason means nothing) in a way even to this day Brees hasn't done nor ever will be able to based on his play mechanics.

It's a little redundant to say Rivers when he starts will make errors, there has never been a perfect quarterback, nor an errorless quarterback and there never will be. Every second we don't see Rivers playing he's learning our system for when his time comes.

Look at A.J. Smith and the talent he has brought since taking over, the way our defense has turned around, the type of players on both sides of the field (Steve Foley was a steal the way he's playing and KM is just starting) I have full faith at the end of this season Marty will be coaching Rivers as his starter

Chargeraven
10-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I agree with those who say the die is cast - I'm a Purdue fan and inherently I really like Brees, but Rivers is TOO much of a super-QB in the making to do a 180 on it. Tall, strong-armed with a quick release and dead-eye accurate. I for one can't wait to see him put it all together on the field, he is going to be SO good. He IS learning the game on the sidelines and he will be a winner in this league for many years to come, and he will be winning in blue and gold!! I am happy to see Drew doing well and I will admire and respect his career, but Rivers is our guy! Embrace it - WE ARE GOING TO BE AN AFC POWERHOUSE!!
HELL YEAH!!

coryhartford
10-25-2004, 11:00 AM
He is a free agent and will leave because some team will give him alot more $$ then we could even think of giving him with the money we are giving rivers. Plus he is going to go somewhere where he is the man and wont have to look over his shoulder every time he throws an INT so even if he leads us to the playoffs, he'll still be a dolphin/Raider/Packer next year

I think that this is the most likely scenario. To be honest this is my biggest concern right now. I am glad we are winning but this thought is lurking in the back of my head. I guess the win for everyone would to have Brees go somewhere and be successfull, Rivers come in and be successfull and everyone's happy right? I'm not holding my breath.

chargers2005
10-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I think they should trade rivers to the pack for farve and sit farve and play tomlinson at qb and throw (lightning quick) brees in at rb. Then we should fire marty and pick up r. leaf for our coach and hire cuban as our manager. The next step in this process is to trade our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick for ben but play him at wr because he is a big target for L.T. I would also consider changin our name tothe san diego chargers instead of the san diego........ Well anyways that would solve our qb spot.

jorgevc
10-26-2004, 07:03 PM
brees go to another team, rivers starter, flutie backup i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

coryhartford
10-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by: BreesLightning
Some people can never be pleased..... Do you "River Rats" really think that Rivers would have done the job Brees has (even if he had a full training camp) if he started the year?

I dont want to sit through another 3 years of growing pains with another rookie QB. There are no sure things with QBs coming out of college. The list of 1st round QBs that become busts in the NFL are a mile long.

LOL! Hes played agrueably 3-4 really good games this year and people are ready to crown him all NFL. Last year he was TERRIBLE! Sure the team around him wasn't great, but he was indeed, TERRIBLE. He has even had a couple of TERRIBLE games this year. So, I for one, am going to wait until I call for his return. The way I see it, he still has to a lot to do to get back to even in my mind. But I will say that he has improved a lot this year, and I am enjoying the teams success.
There is no agruing the list of 1st round busts. Its true. But they aren't all, and I think that maybe Phil is one of the Few. Just an opinion. Oh yeah, I'm not a "Rivers Rat". I grew up in Hesperia and lived there for 25 years, and have recently moved to Chicago. Never seen a WolPack game. Haven't even seen Rivers take a snap, ever. IMO I think the "Drewphus Dorks" should quit throwing around labels.

getfresh
Originally posted by: ThndrStrm5
All QB's take time to mature. I say keep Drew and let the river run where he wants. We have a history of F**king up at the QB position since Stan... Rivers has thrown exactly how many NFL passes? Team chemistry is the key to winning. BEAT THE RADIDERS THIS WEEK and tie the Denver Donkeys for 1st!!

When the season is over many may agree with you and call for Brees to somehow stay, but I for one will wait till the season is over to pass judgement. One thing we know FOR SURE is that there is no way Rivers goes anywhere unless he plays and is a total bust and released despite the consequences. He cannot be traded due to an outrageous cap hit. Rivers is here to stay and as a guy with a Brees jersey, I'm still excited to see what he can do. That quick release is impressive; if he can make good decisions from the start and be accurate he'll be ok. IMO.

cabodog
Originally posted by: riverhead

Some people can never be pleased..... Do you "River Rats" really think that Rivers would have done the job Brees has (even if he had a full training camp) if he started the year?

I dont want to sit through another 3 years of growing pains with another rookie QB. There are no sure things with QBs coming out of college. The list of 1st round QBs that become busts in the NFL are a mile long.

Hello BreesLightning,

Catchy name.

Actually most of us are not pondering the Drew vs. Phillip scenario. We are caught up with the success of Brees and the winning record now for the Chargers. Looks like it will continue since the team looks more solid at most positions. We are not worried about Phillip. Phillip is Phillip (a great person and performer) and he is gonna to find a way to win and/or contribute wherever he is or goes.

The great story here is what Drew has done this year given the pressure put on him. Remarkable. The other story is the development of the team and the team chemistry now, not excluding the coaching staff.

I'd rather be a valued backup to a QB that is having great success on a winning team than a starter on a pitiful losing team. (Not to say that Phillip wouldn't do a good job) Both Drew and Phillip are young and I feel that they have great NFL careers ahead barring serious injury or such. Just my thoughts.

Brees must be a remarkable person for being able to hang in there the way he has. Sure he is a pro.....but man, you have to admit he has had a lot of adversity thrown at him and pressure put on him. If (and it is still an if) he can keep his performance up, its one of the most remarkable turn arounds for a QB in a long time. Lets hope it continues..............

riverhead

Hello BreesLightning,

Catchy name.

Actually most of us are not pondering the Drew vs. Phillip scenario. We are caught up with the success of Brees and the winning record now for the Chargers. Looks like it will continue since the team looks more solid at most positions. We are not worried about Phillip. Phillip is Phillip (a great person and performer) and he is gonna to find a way to win and/or contribute wherever he is or goes.

The great story here is what Drew has done this year given the pressure put on him. Remarkable. The other story is the development of the team and the team chemistry now, not excluding the coaching staff.

I'd rather be a valued backup to a QB that is having great success on a winning team than a starter on a pitiful losing team. (Not to say that Phillip wouldn't do a good job) Both Drew and Phillip are young and I feel that they have great NFL careers ahead barring serious injury or such. Just my thoughts.

Johndbr
There is a good possibility that Brees will be back next year, but lets wait a few weeks before actually requesting it. Crunch time is coming and during that we will be playing some damn good teams. If he performs well under that kind of presure then we should start saying he should stay.

John B.

BreesLightning

guimcharger
No matter how anyone wants Brees back next year he isn't coming back. Get over it. How do you know Brees is going to this good next year?

ThndrStrm5
All QB's take time to mature. I say keep Drew and let the river run where he wants. We have a history of F**king up at the QB position since Stan... Rivers has thrown exactly how many NFL passes? Team chemistry is the key to winning. BEAT THE RADIDERS THIS WEEK and tie the Denver Donkeys for 1st!!