PDA

View Full Version : Questions the Charger's front-office will need to address:

Thunderstruck
10-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Drew Brees has played well enough this season to surprise prognasticators who thought the Bolts were the worst team in football. He has silenced his critics--or at least given them pause--with his play on the field. He has even won over some people who were ready to give up on him after last season, myself included.

He has played efficiently, even flawlessly at times, and in so doing he has helped restore hope to a seemingly hopeless 2004 season. There are even some observers who are daring to speak of a mysterious and long-forbidden place, "the postseason." For a long time, saying "Chargers" and "playoffs" in the same breath could only elicit ridicule, but no more. It's a realistic proposition, and if the Chargers get there, if they reach that magical place under the guidance of the much-maligned QB from Purdue, they're going to have themselves an honest-to-God rags-to-riches hero on their roster.

Ironically, this would put the Chargers front-office in an awkward position. They would then have two players wearing the tag "quarterback of the future," but only one of them would have earned his stripes as "Quarterback of the present."

Philip Rivers, the highly-touted first-round pick, sits on the bench, waiting his turn. Considering the constraints of the salary cap in todays NFL, his turn would seemingly be guaranteed no later than next season. But is it that simple?

We all know that if Drew Brees leads this team to success, parting with him in the offseason is going to be difficult. Not only will the Chargers have to say goodbye to the only QB to lead them to success in nearly a decade, but the move would create a potential public-relations nightmare. How do you explain to a long-suffering fanbase that the man who finally gave respectability to their heretofore anemic offense is too expensive to retain--and not because he is unwanted, but because his presumptive successor is making too much money to justify the expense? Is that too big a risk in the face of the team's ongoing campaign to win back fans, and to win back the love that is necessary to convince a nearly bankrupt city to approve the building of a new stadium?

These are all questions that may need to be addressed by A.J. Smith and the Spanos family before too long.

This post is not an attempt to stir up controversy. Okay, well maybe a little bit. Really, it's more of a prediction. People keep saying that Drew Brees is gone after this season, and that the Bolts really have no choice in the matter, because you can't tie up that much of your salary cap in two QBs. I counter this logic with the above questions and assert that the answer is not nearly as simple or as cut-and-dry as many profess. The Chargers front-office has other things to consider beyond simple cap-management. There are a lot of other uncertainties swirling aroung this team, and they all must be addressed.

In the final analysis, I think the Bolts may have no other choice but to keep Brees, even if it means tying $12-15 million of the cap to two starting QBs.

jsdfan
10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Well, you have put it all out there on the table in a reasoned analysis, and I have already cut to the chase and given the current solution at this time to the unfolding 'problem' which is:

Truly, put the game in Brees' hands.

Let's find out what is really under the hood, and open the throttle. This is an excellent time to do so, while LT is going down into the valley. We may find out that the BreesMobile really first needed a tune-up and alignment (e.g., some possession receivers and a better offensive line) to get cranking...and that there may be a lot more under the hood that we haven't seen yet....that he is actually is capable of going into THE ZONE (a wondrous, rhythmic place where a QB rattles off completion after completion and shreds defenses apart).

So we ought to find that out and really see if it is true or not, because then, after given the chance with the game in his hands (requires a big step of coaching), and if he truly shines, then there won't be any question as to whether we should keep him or not.

jsdfan
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: jsdfan
...... put the game in Brees' hands.
....because then, after given the chance with the game in his hands (requires a big step of coaching), and if he truly shines, then there won't be any question as to whether we should keep him or not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would really require what two years ago would have been an incredibly big step for Martyball....Marty is a control guy and he likes a control offense with minimal surprise. But who knows, unknowingly, this may come off to players as an unspoken display of a lack-of-confidence, especially to a Gunslinger. Gunslingers thrive on a confidence not only in themselves, but among the team, coaching, media and fans. It just keeps feeding off itself as the Gunslinger gets hotter and hotter, going deeper into THE ZONE. But all QB,s, including Gunslingers, are going to throw missed balls and have occasional picks. If Brees were allowed to throw 40 passes in one game, then 12 incompletions will be experienced if he 'only' has a 70% completion rate. But under old main-line Martyball, sometimes the QB doesn't even throw a total of 12 times in a game.

Second, there may be other 'psychological' reasons, not even realized, that could hamper coaching from opening the Breester full throttle. For instance, one old Brees fan posted this on another forum:
"Seems as if the offensive genius Cam Cameron finally realized he should change up the offense somewaht to suit Drew's strengths. All he had to do was watch Purdues offense on Saturday against ND to understand that that Drew came out of a system which provided him 4-5 receivers in the formation. Of course Cam Cameron is the coach that was fired by Indiana after Drew and Joe Tiller beat him 3 out of 4 years. Gee did he also notice that it spreads the field and it allows lanes for Ladanian to run through.... "

Now there may be nothing to the above, but Cam is the one that has to look deep inside and seek the release of any lingering demons in such a case.

And thirdly, the resistance to perform more of a 'dink-and-dunk- offense, such as the Seattle offense, which Marty termed as "high-powered" in pre-season and which he said is very frustating to defenses...is because all the tools probably weren't there. But it is coming together....and maybe we will eventually creep up on such offense, if it doesn't happen immenently. But I think we have to find out if some untapped horsepower still sit under the hood before we get into the "post-season decision-distress" that you have laid out on the table Thunderstruck. Of course, the team could avoid finding out, playing it more 'safe' offensively, even at the risk of missing the playoffs this year....which would be a bummer if then Brees does eventually walk and he ends up regularly going into THE ZONE on another team.

I think we have to find out what he's got before he is gone. And I'm not talking just about one's obvious physical attributes/talents, which we are allready familiar with. Great Gunslingers can have other strong attributes (e.g. a special psyche, intelligence....even a sixth sense) that make up for any supposed apparent physical difficiencies.

SuperMatt
10-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Brees will be gone next year. I know it, you know, everyone knows it. The deed has been done, PR is the future of this team, be it good or bad.

Brees has done the best he can for himself and this team. He always has and we never gave him a fair shot. Now it's too late, I just hope he moves on to ahve a great NFC career, cause it sure would hurt to see him in the silver and black.

I think PR will be a stud as well, but I think we're in for a year or two of ups and downs before he settles in.

Vicious cycle...

kingporterblood
10-28-2004, 04:50 AM
Truthfully Brees has played up to par and what we expect any Qb to do but to say he`s played great or flawlessly I don`t think so, but he has the potential to be great, as does Rivers, so looking at those off season decisions it wouldn`t be that hard if he goes there will be other vets trying free agency. Not to mention Rivers and Lemon probably can do what he`s doing now.

coryhartford
10-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by: kingporterblood
Truthfully Brees has played up to par and what we expect any Qb to do but to say he`s played great or flawlessly I don`t think so, but he has the potential to be great, as does Rivers, so looking at those off season decisions it wouldn`t be that hard if he goes there will be other vets trying free agency. Not to mention Rivers and Lemon probably can do what he`s doing now.

Thats really the key King. I think that Drew really did himself in with last years performance. Granted the team around him wasn't great, but in point of fact he did play Terrible. Horrible in fact. I think the FO did what they thought was best for the team. How many people in the NFL would have said Brees would turn it around? Not many I would bet. I think that is a direct result of HIS performance last year, which again, was terrible. Now that he is playing on well the plot thickens, but he is after all a free agent after this year and that was a concern during the draft last year as well. I like PR, and think he is not going to dissapoint, JMO.

Chargeroo
10-28-2004, 10:28 AM
People haven't mentioned it much but in reality, Brees has pretty much been the offense since LT pulled that muscle four games ago. The running game has been ineffective and Brees has been put into third and long situations over and over and he's put the ball right in a receivers hands over and over. He's actually carrying our offense during LT's injury. Who would have thought he could do it? Few if any thought that would happen.

Considering that, there may very well be another turn of events that are unforeseen. Consider the possibilities - Brees gets injured and Rivers plays a few games. If Rivers does extremely well, the problem is solved. If Rivers doesn't do well, they know he has more to learn. Perhaps they will have already signed a long term contract with Drew before seasons end. Another possibility - Drew reverts to his form of a year ago. That makes the decision very simple. I'm not suggesting what will happen, I'm just saying that there are several more games to this season and it's way early to be trying to figure out what they'll do after the season ends. In fact, that's a subject that will cause about 25 new threads during the off-season - we need these things to post about during the off-season! We have the real thing to post about now!

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Thunderstruck
10-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by: SuperMatt
Brees will be gone next year. I know it, you know, everyone knows it. The deed has been done, PR is the future of this team, be it good or bad.

Vicious cycle...

Nope...that's the point. I don't know that Brees is gone. Everyone, being led by the media, assumes that Brees is gone, but it is not a foregone conclusion. And that's the whole point of this post. There's more involved here than just the salary cap.

OverVolt
10-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Nor am I so sure Drew is gone next year. This guy is showing what our offense can be when he has enough weapons to work with...and no last year was pure BS, and anyone who knows this game knows that.
He had one weapon last year, LT.
As a young QB with what, all of 22 starts by mid-year, one weapon is not enough, especially when you are running for your life every 4th or 5th pass.
One doubt, the front office has an important decision to make...I just hope they don't make the wrong one.

spysnipedis
10-31-2004, 08:30 PM
all i can say is, Keep Brees no matter what, Let Rivers and Brees get reps in. Get brees a new contract and keep them both because Trading Rivers will hurt the team's cap.

nothing more said.

you all saw the game or seen the other games and Brees is just "Cool Brees".

cabodog
10-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis
all i can say is, Keep Brees no matter what, Let Rivers and Brees get reps in. Get brees a new contract and keep them both because Trading Rivers will hurt the team's cap.

nothing more said.

you all saw the game or seen the other games and Brees is just "Cool Brees".

I agree. Lets also see how this whole thing play out over the next few months.

Brees has got a team behind him now...and what a difference it makes. How many balls did we see dropped over the last few years...receivers stopping in routes..how many missed FGs or shanked punts or long returns....lazy a$$ Wiley taking the long route to the QB....every thing is different....and it changes the game completely...

He has the tools now to be successful...if he continues then we have to keep him

RMANCIL
10-31-2004, 09:34 PM
On the cap front I bet Rivers cap number will be between 3 and 3.5 million and I think the Bolts can Sign Brees for a simular number. If Brees keeps playing this well they would be foolish if they didn't. A lot of team have more Bucks in the QB slot in fact several including the Pack have more in just the starter.

Thunderstruck
10-31-2004, 10:04 PM
I think Brees will probably command $6-7 million if he leads the Bolts to the playoffs--if he finishes top 3 in QB rating, he may command $8 million +.

RMANCIL
11-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Take a look at http://asp.usatoday.com/sports...sbyposition.aspx?pos=3 (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=3) and of course at this point it is wild specualtion that said I think less than 4 million in a cap hit is very possable.
One season even one very good season should not cause him to shoot into the top 10.

Transition tag him that allows the club a chance to match his best offer ,at this point it may be the best course of action.