PDA

View Full Version : Why not put Rivers in - Oct 31st?

RiversFan
11-01-2004, 02:40 PM
With a 42-14 lead going into the fourth, why not put Rivers in and let him take some snaps? If you are going to pay big money to someone, at least let him get his feet wet. Am I off target here? The Raiders are not capable of coming back from that kind of deficit in a whole game, much less one quarter. Was this bad coaching by Marty?

Yes, I am a Rivers fan, but quickly becoming a Chargers fan (which sucks living in Denver!). I just think that you need to get him some time under center in game situations.

Any comments, thoughts, or ideas?

'RiversFan'

Thunderstruck
11-01-2004, 02:48 PM
I kind of think the Bolts initially left Brees in to give him a chance at the 300 yard game. I know that Marty has given LT an extra carry or two in games so that LT could get over 100. Also, Marty despises the Raiders with a passion, and don't think he wasn't loving the idea of putting up 50+ on them.

As the 4th quarter dragged on, it became more apparent that leaving Brees in there wasn't necessary, and that the Bolts probably weren't going to be throwing at ALL. I think Marty then told Philip something to the effect of, "Hey, you can go in there and mop up if you like..." And Philip suggested leaving Brees in. (Either that, or Marty told Philip to get in the game and PR declined...take it whichever way you like.)

It's no big loss for a couple reasons. PR wasn't going to get any valuable reps if he'd gone in. Handing off to Chatman is not exactly hard experience. It's almost a backhanded slap-in-the-face putting a QB in the game and then telling him to do nothing but hand off. And even if he had been asked to throw, it would have been against a destitute, downtrodden defense that is in no way indicative of what PR would see in a real game.

Drew was in little danger of being injured, so I just can't really find fault with the call to leave him in.

riverhead
11-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Thunderstruck. Good call. Philip did decline. I think he stated something to the effect of; Drew is doing a great job, he should finish it out. There is an AP article out on this and I am trying to find.

I agree. I would not want to go in anyway, after watching the magic act that Drew put on. I would have liked to see Drew get just one more TD pass and go over 300+. But hey, maybe next time.

MoveitMister
11-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by: RiversFan
Was this bad coaching by Marty?

Yes, I am a Rivers fan, but quickly becoming a Chargers fan (which sucks living in Denver!). I just think that you need to get him some time under center in game situations.

'RiversFan'
Remember that you ASKED for thoughts or comments. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Rivers told them that it was Brees' game and he should finish it.
That's a mighty classy thing for him to do in this 'ME FIRST' society that we're living in.

Like it or not, RiversFan, you have to be a CHARGERS fan, until he leaves for another team if you want to see him on the field.

Time to get your priorities in line with Mr. Philip Rivers' priorities.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

kingporterblood
11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
With a 42-14 lead going into the fourth, why not put Rivers in and let him take some snaps? If you are going to pay big money to someone, at least let him get his feet wet. Am I off target here? The Raiders are not capable of coming back from that kind of deficit in a whole game, much less one quarter. Was this bad coaching by Marty?

'RiversFan'

rivers wanted Brees to finish up his masterpiece

overcast
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Would you want to follow that performance?

MoveitMister
11-01-2004, 03:41 PM
The Rivers factor (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20041101-9999-1s1chnotes.html)

Rookie QB Philip Rivers thought he might see his first pro action with the Chargers ahead 28-7 at the half and 42-14 going into the fourth quarter, but when Schottenheimer approached him with about five minutes to play, the two agreed that Brees should finish off his fine performance.

"I'm not going to make any progress taking a knee at the end of the game, so I was with (leaving in Drew) all the way," Rivers said. "I'll be excited with any opportunity I get, but it's a little tough in situations like that because you're playing, but you're just trying to hold on. You know you're not going to run the plays you'd be running if you were in a situation where you had to try to win. It'd be one of those awkward situations.

"But any chance I get I'll be delighted. But today it was best that he finish it, the way he played."

Nuff said, Riversfan.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Infernus
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
You should not interupt someone when doing their masterpeice, which is what Drew was doing. But I am still anxoius to see how Rivers plays and turns out. Hopefully we'll do that well again, and maybe we will see the River flow this season sometime.

RiversFan
11-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the article. I had not seen it. I think when PR gets his chance, you guys will see what I have seen for the past four years.

denverboltfan
11-02-2004, 11:13 AM

'RiversFan'

I am with you 100% on this one. This isn't a situation in which a coach asks the players what they want to do. Rivers needs reps. This was a great opportunity for him to get them. period.

By the way, if you think being a bolt fan in Denver is tough now, you should have been one here last year. Being a bolt fan is great anywhere this year.

Chargeroo
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
If it were up to me, I'd have pulled Brees after the last TD and put in PR. I also would not have had him run a 'no passing' offense. He needs reps and I would have told him to go in there and put up some points and I'd have told Cam keep pouring it on, let's see what Philip can do. I think Marty blew a good chance to see his young QB in action. Football isn't the right game to be conservative anyway - that's Marty's biggest fault. Put in PR and attack, attack, attack!

Boltbrad
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I agree 100% Did you watch how the Jets put in their backup in the 4th- Thats what a smart coach does!

guimcharger
11-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Rivers told Marty to let Brees finish the game.

Threadkiller
11-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that RiversFan is bummed that Drew Brees is playing so well.

Chargeroo
11-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: guimcharger
Rivers told Marty to let Brees finish the game.
I know that - but who's the Head Coach? Marty should have said "thanks for that Philip, but get in there".

Did you guys read this from Phil Simms -
We know that Chargers quarterback Drew Brees is successfully telling everybody where to stick it. That's been pretty cool, and definitely fun to watch. (But then we hear that somebody in the organization said -- off the record, of course -- that the Chargers would be just as good this season with rookie Philip Rivers at quarterback. That's nice. Your quarterback is having one of the best seasons in the league -- nothing like giving him an anonymous slap in the face.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7851124

BirdlegsJAV
11-06-2004, 10:00 AM
I think that PR is getting the shaft! After 8 games,not one SNAP!! Mary has got his head up his you know what.. Its all a bunch of BS!! PR could be thinking of getting out of BOLT country..??

Chargeroo
11-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by: BirdlegsJAV
I think that PR is getting the shaft! After 8 games,not one SNAP!! Mary has got his head up his you know what.. Its all a bunch of BS!! PR could be thinking of getting out of BOLT country..??
You need to read a bit more. Marty tried to send PR in and he told Marty that he thought Brees had such a perfect game that he deserved to finish the game. Truth is though, that they completely quit attacking in the fourth quarter so even if they had put Philip in he wouldn't have gained much experience.

jsdfan
11-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by: BirdlegsJAV
... PR could be thinking of getting out of BOLT country..??

Well he will have to renegotiate that contract then. Hmmmmm.... renegotiating a signing bonus ....
"If a player wants to terminate his contract, he must do so before the first day of any season. "
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

The 'Philip Rivers case' is already being cited as a classic 'text book example'. The longer he rides the pine behind the incumbent Drew Brees, then in general, the happier the rest of the NFL owners are. If you don't know why, I'll let you try to figure it out for a while...

GetCharged
11-06-2004, 05:24 PM
GIVE IT A REST ALREADY RIVER RATS!!

Does it get old to ANYONE else that there is always a new person with the word Rivers in there name and their first post is always "Why is Brees still starting?" or "Why hasnt Rivers got to play yet?" You should watch a Charger game and look at how well Brees is doing this season!