PDA

View Full Version : Would we ever cut Rivers?

jsdfan
11-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Brees was in THE ZONE on Big Sunday, October 31, 2004. What if he doesn't come out for a long, long time, and the Chargers do the prudent thing and continue to ride "the hot hand"?

Well then, at some point, AJ has to make a business decision and "cut our losses" (speaking from a business point-of-view).

If Rivers is waived after June 1, 2006, his cap hit in the 2007 season will only be $7 mill (since the remaining signing bonus would hit the cap being spread out over two years).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
There is not much to debate here...because it is predicated on Brees' future performance. So unless we have some accurate prophets in our midst, I suggest moderator that you lock this thread, at least until a much later date. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Kwakothunder
11-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the laught dude. This is even funnier then the trade Rivers threads.

Are you Brees' mama, daddy or some other family member?

jsdfan
11-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by: Kwakothunder
Thanks for the laught dude. This is even funnier then the trade Rivers threads.

I thought you would enjoy it kwako.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Kwakothunder
11-07-2004, 01:52 AM
I am trying to think of a top 5 draft pick that was ever cut before they had a chance to play on the field. One that wasn't due to things like practice career ending injury, incarceration, deportation, etc.

jsdfan
11-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Did you hear what Brent Jones (one of the TV commentator's that has been calling Chargers games) said last night on the syndicated Fantasy Football radio show? He was reflecting that the 'Philip Rivers' situation is going to make a lot of college NFL draftees think twice about holding out for that bigger paycheck.

Can you imagine? The longer Brees keeps Rivers on the pine, the bigger that story, and its lessons, grow. The fellow NFL owners likely love it and want to see it continue. Maybe they will send Alex Spanos a gold star.

Who knows, maybe they will all get together and agree not to go after Brees to help the Chargers and feed the story. They would feed it even more, if Rivers were eventually released...and no team claimed him.i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Kwakothunder
11-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Release no. Put some pressure on for a Rookie Salary cap, maybe. It would be nice to have a set contract for rookies based on where they were drafted. Holdouts would be a thing of the past and it would put it back to the SHOW ME you can play at the NFL level and you will make your big jack when you get to your FA years.

jsdfan
11-07-2004, 02:19 AM
I just had a thought that the 'Phil Rivers textbook case' will probaby be appreciated by all active players (except Rivers of course), because anything that reduces salary output to incoming rookies, means more cap room for the salaries of active players.

Maybe you will see opposing teams treating Brees with kid's gloves to help in making sure his streak continues.i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Kwakothunder
11-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by: jsdfan
Maybe you will see opposing teams treating Brees with kid's gloves to help in making sure his streak continues.

Ok, you have to share that stuff.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

They way things are going with the rookie contracts, I think it will be brought up in the new CBA talks in a few years. The NBA has it, and the NFL might look to add it in. The CAP is currently going to run thru 2006 and we all know that is going to be extended. You could have the Vets buying into a rookie cap since it would leave more cash in the CAP for them.

JoeMcRugby
11-07-2004, 01:35 PM
jsdfan,

Man you have a burr up your *** about Rivers - just as bad as those "fans" who wanted to crucify Brees for all the team's failures for the past two seasons.

What did Philip do to earn such disdain from you - eat one of your children?

If it was only because he held out, I assume you have the same disdain for LT, Jammer, Davis and every other recent first pick by the Chargers.

Maybe we could use the last 1st pick of the Chargers who signed before camp opened as a poster boy for how the first pick should act. Well, maybe not - the last first pick who reported to camp on time was ... gulp ... Cryin' Ryan.

riverhead
11-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
jsdfan,

Man you have a burr up your *** about Rivers - just as bad as those "fans" who wanted to crucify Brees for all the team's failures for the past two seasons.

What did Philip do to earn such disdain from you - eat one of your children?

If it was only because he held out, I assume you have the same disdain for LT, Jammer, Davis and every other recent first pick by the Chargers.

Maybe we could use the last 1st pick of the Chargers who signed before camp opened as a poster boy for how the first pick should act. Well, maybe not - the last first pick who reported to camp on time was ... gulp ... Cryin' Ryan.

Ouch!

Boltjolt
11-07-2004, 08:06 PM
[quote]
Brees was in THE ZONE on Big Sunday, October 31, 2004. What if he doesn't come out for a long, long time, and the Chargers do the prudent thing and continue to ride "the hot hand"?

Well then, at some point, AJ has to make a business decision and "cut our losses" (speaking from a business point-of-view).

If Rivers is waived after June 1, 2006, his cap hit in the 2007 season will only be $7 mill (since the remaining signing bonus would hit the cap being spread out over two years).

__________________________________________________ ________________________

ONLY 7 million? LOL....you are a riot.

Rivers isnt going anywhere and maybe you should just get over that. The business decision will be to trade Brees or just let him walk. Brees is doing great but the decision has already been made .

jsdfan
11-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by: Boltjolt
[quote]

__________________________________________________ _______________________

ONLY 7 million? LOL....you are a riot.
I explained it. So if you disagree with that figure, what is it?

callmenyal
11-08-2004, 01:24 AM
What's wrong with having 2 good QB's on the roster (for now) anyways. Who would've known Brees would play the way he does now. I would worry about all this QB issues after Brees takes us to the playoffs, maybe even the superbowl. Rivers is a rookie and should be glad to be a part of a winning team. Even though he is on the sidelines, watching Brees play successfully is already a learning experience. Any team would want to have the two QB's we have.

jsdfan
12-08-2004, 01:24 AM
jsdfan,

What did Philip do to earn such disdain from you - eat one of your children?.
No guy, what chaps me is the Riverians that jump on Brees at any opportune moment, and hide when he is playing lights out. That to me is not a Chargers fan.

Wrong again! I don't recall either of those guys being so ridiculous in what they were negotiating from A.J/Spanos. Rivers/Sexton figured they had A.J./Spanos over a barrel, since A.J. appeared to be so hard-up for a QB and Marty and A.J. appeared to fawn over Rivers at the Senior Bowl (in which Big Ben wasn't even playing i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif ). Consequently, Rivers/Sexton opened up negotiations asking for money comparable to the 1st pick! They didn't trade Rivers for the 1st pick!i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif They traded for Rivers and other picks.

jsdfan
12-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by: Boltjolt
....The business decision will be to trade Brees or just let him walk. Brees is doing great but the decision has already been made .
Oh BTW joey, the continual stream of smug statements like the above chapped me also. I guess it wasn't until A.J.'s interview in the UT that most of that crap stopped.

jsdfan
12-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Wrong again! I don't recall either of those guys being so ridiculous in what they were negotiating from A.J/Spanos. Rivers/Sexton figured they had A.J./Spanos over a barrel, since A.J. appeared to be so hard-up for a QB and Marty and A.J. appeared to fawn over Rivers at the Senior Bowl (in which Big Ben wasn't even playing ). Consequently, Rivers/Sexton opened up negotiations asking for money comparable to the 1st pick! They didn't trade Rivers for the 1st pick! They traded for Rivers and other picks.

But that being said, I don't judge the guy. If I were in the same position as Rivers, I may have done the same thing! I don't have anything against him for holding out. It's business. It happened.

But it has also happened that Drew Brees is considered for 'Comeback Player of the Year". So do we keep Brees....probably makes sense, especially if he can demonstrate continued performance the rest of the year. Afterall, the point is to get an efficient, smart winning QB. Brees is demonstrating that....even starting to break some Dan Fouts records. But at what price? Pay him $9 million for an annual salary? Maybe he has earned it....but what if he plays great again next year?...then it would have probaby been cheaper to sign him instead. So what to do about the high-priced Rivers riding the pine? Well that is where the 'trade Rivers' talk sprang from. From looking at the situation objectively from a business viewpoint, just like all those guys thought they were doing when they were saying that "Brees will be gone" because the decision (salary cap wise) had already been made. But I didn't agree with them because they were adamantly taking flexibility out of the decision-making process, ignoring Brees' play.

renojim
12-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Release no. Put some pressure on for a Rookie Salary cap, maybe. It would be nice to have a set contract for rookies based on where they were drafted. Holdouts would be a thing of the past and it would put it back to the SHOW ME you can play at the NFL level and you will make your big jack when you get to your FA years.

I have always thought a rookie salary cap has been a good idea. If the drafted player doesn't like it let them go play baseball or pro field hockey. What did eli say law school.

guimcharger
12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
I don't think it is going to hurt keeping both QB's. It will make them compete and that will make both of them better. Rivers, in my opion, has all the physical abilties to be great in this league.

JoeMcRugby
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by: renojim

I have always thought a rookie salary cap has been a good idea. If the drafted player doesn't like it let them go play baseball or pro field hockey. What did eli say law school.

A rookie salary cap is a good idea if salaries are guaranteed (as they are in the NBA and MLB).

As much as I love the NFL, the truth of the matter is that it is little better than horse racing in the way they treat the performers. I guess the players can be thankful that they aren't literally put down once they are injured.

The only guaranteed money in the NFL is a bonus at the start of a contract. Take away that and you're back to the Johnny U's being physically disabled and minus the tiny portion of the billions that their sacrifice of years of their lives have generated.

I agree that there has to be a better way than a handful of rookies not playing a down getting the huge paydays, but no matter what, the players have to be fairly compensated in the end.

Wanders
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
hey im Have Always been a Charger Fan for about 30 years and been a Brees Fan since i seen him play at Purdue, I was a bit disappointd the took LT before Brees for i didnt know much of LT then but Glad they did pick him first and was Happy to see Brees fall in there lap in the 2nd round.

I would love to see Brees as the QB for the next 10 years... but trading Rivers next year wont be good. As much as I like Brees, this is a one play league and something could happen to Brees or he could be a one year wonder, it happens, So you need to Keep Rivers at least one more year to see what we have in Brees for the future or get another QB in the next draft if you get rid of Rivers.

Brees For MVP

JohnnyUtah
I love Brees as a Charger forever..but in the land of Plastic and money why cant he get a little birthmark reduction..

ThndrStrm5
Even when he plays sub par we win. Why change what we have for what might be in a few years? Keep Brees and Trade Rivers for some serious secondary help... GO BOLTZ!

riverhead
Excuse me. This Sunday I'll trek down to my favorite pub and watch the Chargers play. I'm gonna watch Drew light it up. I also happen to be a big River's fan. If Philip gets traded I will follow him and keep tabs on him because I am a fan of PR. I will continue to trek each Sunday to my favorite pub or designated DirecTV showing and watch the Chargers because I am a Charger fan.

I don't believe anyone is going to tell me what kind of fan I am because I am a fan of PR. I will continue to pull and watch the Chargers and there is nothing that you or anyone else can do about it.

ThndrStrm5
Real Charger fans have been saying Trade Rivers/Leaf from the start. Brees has a supporting cast and is on his way. AFC Championship Game this year - Super Bowl in 05 - IF WE KEEP BREEs! GO BOLTZ!!

OldManCharger
Originally posted by: spysnipedis

Originally posted by: beltzaz

Add me to the group that wants to bring back Brees! This guy has just won me over. We tag him and keep him for another year. After next year, Rivers becomes tradeable and we would be in the driver's seat.

you have just been added.

Brees has been playing . like wow. Those that seen him play, wow. He makes smart desicions and for not throwing a INT in around 170 passes completed, thats amazing. Those QB that are considered "the best" in the NFL today such as P.Manning, He always seem to throw an INT every game but he makes up for it after throwing about 4 to 5 Touchdown passes. Just wait until brees comes back home and plays against Broncos for pay-back.

It getting pretty impressive isn't it?

OMC

OldManCharger
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING
I say trade Rivers after the season while his value is still up, waiting until the following year may reduce what we can get for him. Then all we have to hope for is that Brees can keep this pace up for years to come.

Wow...is this the REAL "Whitelightning" talking here.....trade Rivers????? You weren't saying that earlier in the season......Brees has really convinced you huh?

Me too. His perfromances are hard to argue with his incrediable preformances and surprising consistency.

Brees has truly become an Impressive NFL QB.

OMC

parker88fan
i think we should keep rivers and trade u to the raiders

rt2333
I think Rivers put a sour taste in the mouths of every Charger fan when he held off during the preseason. He would have EASILY won the starting job if he came in without his agent screwing around and wasting time. I have no doubt that hes a talent an a future star...

My brain and heart say keep Brees and trade Philip...

However, my gut says so hold on to both next year and give it another shot for Brees...If he fails next season and Philip steps up, then Philip is the man. Its just better for us to have two choices next season.

This will ENSURE that we get the best player and once we figure that out, then we keep the better of the two and let the other go via trade to Oakland for GALLERY...or Roy Williams in Dallas...

riverhead
Good Post WhiteLightning.

BOLTPRIDE
A STRONG BREES IS COMING TO FREEZEE THE OPPOUSING TEMAS!!!
CAUSE THE CHARGERS ARE BETTER THAN EVER!!!I HOPE THEY BEAT DENVER THIS SUNDAY DEC. 5th BUT THE REAL TASK... IF THEY BEAT INDIANANPOLIS, THEY ARE CAPABLE TO BEAT ANYBODY!!!!

GOOOOO CHARGEEEERRRSSS!!!!!!!

Charge!!!!!!!! KaBoooommm!!!!!!

WHITELIGHTNING
Originally posted by: KennyG

I say trade Rivers after the season while his value is still up, waiting until the following year may reduce what we can get for him. Then all we have to hope for is that Brees can keep this pace up for years to come.

Having never supported Brees, I think you have a typo here...shouldn't you be using the word Brees in place of Rivers?

Nope not at all, I still believe Rivers will be a great QB but he has to play. It doesn't look as though, by "FAN" response he welcome in San Diego. So trade him, I really want to see him play the pro game. I still be a Chargers fan, always have been always will be. I'd follow Rivers career as I do Big Bens, It doesn't mean I dont like my Bolts, I just like watching great players apply their trade. I dont know if Brees will bust next year, or be the next Dan Fouts, DO YOU. The same thing can be said about Rivers, but he has to play first. So trade him to a team that needs a QB.

OverVolt

Having never supported Brees, I think you have a typo here...shouldn't you be using the word Brees in place of Rivers?

BreesLightning

What?????????????????? You are now a beleiver in Drew Brees ??????/ Didnt you say a week ago that he will be a bust next year?????/

Are you being sarcastic or has something happen for you to change your mind?

Wanders
During the game the commentators said that Marty was talking about if Brees keeps this up thay have to keep him as the starter for next season

oklahomasooners
After Brees has done all of this and take the Chargers to the playoffs, there is no way we could trade him.

riverhead
For selfish reasons (like..wanting to win) if I were the FO I would find a way to keep both of them. If in fact, it is not financially feasible, then either Philip or Drew gets traded. You would have two very gifted QBs on the same roster and they both need to see playing time.

WHITELIGHTNING

spysnipedis
Originally posted by: beltzaz
Add me to the group that wants to bring back Brees! This guy has just won me over. We tag him and keep him for another year. After next year, Rivers becomes tradeable and we would be in the driver's seat.

you have just been added.

Brees has been playing . like wow. Those that seen him play, wow. He makes smart desicions and for not throwing a INT in around 170 passes completed, thats amazing. Those QB that are considered "the best" in the NFL today such as P.Manning, He always seem to throw an INT every game but he makes up for it after throwing about 4 to 5 Touchdown passes. Just wait until brees comes back home and plays against Broncos for pay-back.

beltzaz

spysnipedis
the point is you can bring him back

Rip
Tell me again why we cant bring him back!?!?!?!?!?

ThndrStrm5
Keep Drew Brees and Trade Rivers... All this means is keep proven Talent and let a "Hype" play elsewhere. We have a long/recent history of Fu**ing that up is the bottom line and I'd just love to see a true commitment to winning made to all us LOYAL CHARGER FANS! But, their billfolds will drive their direction - UNLESS we take a deep ride into the playoffs with Drew - OK let's do that! GO BOLTZ!!

riverhead
Of course Rip with at great defense we could probably still win by just handing the ball off to LT and passing once in awhile as long as LT is healthy and on his game.

riverhead
Originally posted by: Rip
Lets just say we get into the playoffs and maybe even win a game, does anyone think LT would try to force AJ's hand and make him bring brees back? Considering they are best friends, and the fact that Brees lead us to such an exciting season, would LT do that? would AJ listen?
Rip,

I think LT would do just that and when LT talks...people listen.

AJ and the FO have alot invested in LT. I think that they very much want to keep him happy. LT pushes himself as well as his teammates. There is not attitude problem with him and he is an FO dream.

Rip
Lets just say we get into the playoffs and maybe even win a game, does anyone think LT would try to force AJ's hand and make him bring brees back? Considering they are best friends, and the fact that Brees lead us to such an exciting season, would LT do that? would AJ listen?

jsdfan
Originally posted by: tmvalence4

His stats for his first year surpass: Montana,Aikman,Fouts,Gannon... He will lead us to the PROMISE LAND!!! DREW IS OUR SAVIOUR!! I would also like everyone to take a moment to remember the OTHER MAN who led us to the promise land,,, STAN HUPHRIES!!!!!!! # 12 ... Everyone thought he s$$#@! too...

Stan had a key game in Arrowhead, and gained the respect of Chiefs fans...called him "Stan the Man".

Here is hoping Brees has a great game Sunday in Arrowhead.

tmvalence4

Originally posted by: rxe285

What if we trade Rivers and he turns out to be another Payton Manning or Favre or Elway? Man its going to be the hardest call the brass will have to make. But thats why they get paid the big bucks.

We got River because we wanted a QB who could lead this team to victories, have a great TD:INT ratio, and excite the crowd, but we already have that in brees. So do we get rid of the guy already doing it because of the HOPE that Rivers will end up being this good? What if Drew becomes like manning ,FavreECT...
His stats for his first year surpass: Montana,Aikman,Fouts,Gannon... He will lead us to the PROMISE LAND!!! DREW IS OUR SAVIOUR!! I would also like everyone to take a moment to remember the OTHER MAN who led us to the promise land,,, STAN HUPHRIES!!!!!!! # 12 ... Everyone thought he s$$#@! too...

WHITELIGHTNING
i wouldn't tag Brees and then pay him that kind of money, he aint no Manning or even close to Favre. If they tag him trade him, otherwise offer him a contract in the 3-4 mil range. I still dont see where people get the notion that he is great after only 10 games, Manning and Favre have been doing it year in and year out, Brees hasn't even completed one year as a decent QB yet. Brees is having a fine year and I am glad we are winning, it sure is sweet.

Thunderstruck
Keep them both as long as possible.

ThndrStrm5
Keep Brees and trade for Secondary help with Rivers... I have this gut feeling Rivers = Leaf... GO BOLTZ!!

riverhead
"The dogs may bark, still, the caravan moves on".

Rip
Originally posted by: rxe285
What if we trade Rivers and he turns out to be another Payton Manning or Favre or Elway? Man its going to be the hardest call the brass will have to make. But thats why they get paid the big bucks.

We got River because we wanted a QB who could lead this team to victories, have a great TD:INT ratio, and excite the crowd, but we already have that in brees. So do we get rid of the guy already doing it because of the HOPE that Rivers will end up being this good?

spysnipedis
Originally posted by: kidtwist
Anyone who thinks that Chargers are going to trade Phillip Rivers is crazy. Saying, "Son't let money dictate what happens on the field" is one thing. but the salary cap hit the Chargers would take would cripple them for years. The Chargers are going to franchise tag Brees, then trade him for picks and/or players. End of discussion.

not the end of discussion, i am going to continue it.

there is a method to trade Rivers and no it won't "cripple them for years"...

winning is a Brees

Hamburglar
well i think that we should keep drew because he eats a happymeal before every game and that is why he is so good lately

rxe285

kidtwist
Anyone who thinks that Chargers are going to trade Phillip Rivers is crazy. Saying, "Son't let money dictate what happens on the field" is one thing. but the salary cap hit the Chargers would take would cripple them for years. The Chargers are going to franchise tag Brees, then trade him for picks and/or players. End of discussion.

spysnipedis
Originally posted by: Flutie08
I agree with most of the people on this page. It would be in our best interest to keep both Brees and Rivers for another year to make sure that Brees isn't a one year wonder. If he continues to play well and beats out Rivers in the offseason then we need to trade Rivers and get some good draft picks or something. And what about Doug Flutie? Don't let him go that's for sure. I'm not saying he needs to play, but how about making him the quarterback coach, he's too valuable and experienced to let him go.

i agree, but i don't see Brees as a one year wonder. i see him as a Great QB. Flutie should stay on the team as long as possible. He doesn't even have to play, but he a the best back-up if he needs to play. he can become a great coach and help Brees in the future.

Flutie08
I agree with most of the people on this page. It would be in our best interest to keep both Brees and Rivers for another year to make sure that Brees isn't a one year wonder. If he continues to play well and beats out Rivers in the offseason then we need to trade Rivers and get some good draft picks or something. And what about Doug Flutie? Don't let him go that's for sure. I'm not saying he needs to play, but how about making him the quarterback coach, he's too valuable and experienced to let him go.

JoeMcRugby
Rivers is on the squad through 2009 no matter how much Rivers haters wish it weren't going to happen.

His salary structure is cap friendly for the next five seasons so long as the Chargers don't trade him before then thanks to AJ holding the line and not paying him crazy money like the Giants did with SquEli.

John Clayton has reported that although the Giants signed SquEli to a 7-year contract, the Giants will be forced to redo it after four years due to the escalating salary structure.

I'm hoping the Chargers find a way to work out a way to get Brees back in 2005, but most likely that's as far as it will go for Brees in SD.

We'll find out soon enough.

HeadTrip
I think we will prolly end up with brees and PR next season, and id Drew keeps it up, we would trade PR after that. The best thing is, AJ is an awesome GM and we will get the very best result possible out of this situation i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif.

ThndrStrm5
Does anybody really care what we get for him? If Drew is the real deal = keep him for god's sake. Rivers may be good in 2-4 years but who wants to wait again? We waited for Brees to get a supporting cast and he has proven he can take us places with this team... GO BOLTZ!!!

drangus
I hope you guys are right and the chargers keep both rivers and brees, but what are the odds that brees agrees to any kind of cap friendly contract? don't forget that we will have more cap space this coming year but we will also have a couple of first rounders, and there will several mid ranged free agents available this offseason that fit the new team profile of the chargers that a.j. will want to look at.

Boltjolt
Originally posted by: pedro
i have compiled a list of teams that could possibly trade for brees, the teams on the top are the most likely to make the move based on need or salary cap room.

1. cardinals

2. packers

3. bears

4. seahawks hasselbeck has not signed an extension and the hawks can't franchise him.

5. miami

6. browns

7. redskins

8. forty-niners

9. bucaneers

You can take some teams off this list. The Bears are real happy with Grossman and i doubt they even take a sniff at him.

Bucaneers have Greise and are also high on Simms who got hurt in his first start this year.

I think the Chance is slim that Arizona goes after him and at the very least they should be on the bottom of the list...ditto with Miami who used a 2nd rounder on Feeley, but the bottom of the list they could be .

foty89
Before this question can be answered, we need to play out the rest of the season and see how Drew plays. If he continues to play at the same level, he will be tagged and kept. If he slides, he will be tagged and traded. The key is the playoffs, if he gets us there, he stays here.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Jammer
We will get nothing...D.Brees is staying in San Diego...

sanluischargerfan
I think that we are going to keep both Brees and Rivers in 2005 if Drew keeps on playing like he is playing now. We have the cap room. Why do we have to let him go to some other team? Tag him and pay him if he keeps on winning. And don't even think of getting rid of Rivers. Letís just keep things the way they are for now.
Top rated QB
Top rated offence
GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drangus
i have compiled a list of teams that could possibly trade for brees after the season is over, the teams on the top are the most likely to make the move based on need or salary cap room.
1. cardinals
2. packers
3. bears
4. seahawks hasselbeck has not signed an extension and the hawks can't franchise him.
5. miami
6. browns
7. redskins
8. forty-niners
9. bucaneers

benji929
we can't trade brees anymore now that the trading deadline is over and he's going to be a FA at the end of the season. we can franchise him and get draft picks from other teams for him.

OverVolt
Originally posted by: ThndrStrm5
Who cares - Keep Brees and Drop Rivers - he's an Eli Manning Clone and KNEW MORE THAN THE CHARGERS who went through training camp and earned the right to play. These pretentious prema-donna's are all wanna-be's anyways... I'll eat my words gladly if Rivers becomes anything - for another team. GO DREW BREES! GO BOLTZ!!

Geez, your as bad as Whitelightning. only in the other direction...if Brees keeps up this pace he'll be here next year. I think that's almost a given, he has saved alot of jobs this year. I hope management saves his as well.
I want us to keep both Rivers and Brees.
Let them go into next season with Brees as the starter, if Rivers can beat him out fine, my money will be on Drew. There's nothing like experience, and now Drew's got plenty of it.

WHITELIGHTNING
Who cares - Keep Brees and Drop Rivers - he's an Eli Manning Clone and KNEW MORE THAN THE CHARGERS who went through training camp and earned the right to play. These pretentious prema-donna's are all wanna-be's anyways... I'll eat my words gladly if Rivers becomes anything - for another team. GO DREW BREES! GO BOLTZ!!

Only a non football fan would spout off something so stupid as this. I laugh in your face HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

BLITZ619
Well I'm way over here in the state of Maryland still rootin for my Chargers. My wife is tryin her hardest to Jump on the Redskin bandwagon. DONT THINK SO!!! I'm just glad there is a place where i can talk about our Chargers and their so far so good season! Brees and Rivers I say keep em both. Have Rivers get groomed by Brees' awesome season this year and see what happens. All of you have good points!!!

riverhead
Originally posted by: Chargeroo

Keep Drew Brees and let the chips fall where they will. Only a Raider Fan would would want Rivers over Drew... GO BOLTZ!

Gees, this is an attitude that stinks! If you're a Charger fan you should be hoping that both Brees and Rivers are the two best QB's in the league. There's something wrong with people that get so nuts over a player that they don't think about the overall good to the team. Rivers is a member of the team and is one play away from being the QB, so let's quit slamming him and hope like crazy that he's ready to go!

Dittos Chargeroo. Wow. I cannot think of another NFL team that has the good fortune to have the QBs that we have. Brees, Rivers, Flutie and Lemon.

I am really not sure why the debate goes on. I've got an idea..Brees at QB, Rivers at Center, Flutie at "pulling" Guard and then Lemon at Wide Receiver. Just think of the possibilities! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Thunderstruck

Keep Drew Brees and let the chips fall where they will. Only a Raider Fan would would want Rivers over Drew... GO BOLTZ!

Gees, this is an attitude that stinks! If you're a Charger fan you should be hoping that both Brees and Rivers are the two best QB's in the league. There's something wrong with people that get so nuts over a player that they don't think about the overall good to the team. Rivers is a member of the team and is one play away from being the QB, so let's quit slamming him and hope like crazy that he's ready to go!

There's one thing that would kill this franchise faster than anything else, and that's if Rivers can't play in this league. If Brees turns out to be a mirage, we'll have Rivers to turn to. If Brees leaves in the offseason, Rivers will be our guy. So you better darned-well pray that he's as good as advertised. I know I'll be rooting for him, because if he's good, it's only good for the Bolts.

Chargeroo

riverhead

Bon Apetite.

ThndrStrm5

Wanders
Well if the chargers let Brees walk after this season you know that oakland will go after him due to thier QB problems and try to rub it into SD, and id rather have Brees in SD then in oakland

Brees is touching the surface of what he can do..... now that they actually let him throw the ball, not like in 2002 when they ran 90%of the time in the 1st 3 quaters then in the 4th decide we should let Drew through so in 16 games he got what maybe 5 games of experience, then say hey the next year double the throwing and not give him support in WR, OL, Defense... and then you call him lame, thats horse sh*t... But this year now that the have OL, WR, D.. and Opened up the dusty, cob-webbed ridden best part of the playbook you see what he is really capable of.....

BREES MVP.....

Brees is not a contract player, he is not a one year wonder he is learning and excelling and gets an A for what he has done to progress each year in this game........

spysnipedis
Brees wants to stay in San Diego so let him.

he's been playing, just great. Brees is up there with Culpepper and P.Manning

bigturg619
Money isn't going to dictate what is going to happen in the off season with the Chargers. But the salary cap will. If Brees had another year on his contract then you definitely let Brees and Rivers fight it out. But the fact of the matter is that AJ Smith can not afford to take a hit in the salary cap, which he would do if he moves Rivers. Brees is going to cost too much to bring back. Someone is going to get an over-rated QB that is having a contract year. Next year you will see how talented Rivers really is. Brees is getting too much created. He does deserve some create but not this much. He is the 3rd rated QB but when was the last time that stats determined your best player. Rivers will be a GREAT QB in this league. He has a release that is compareable to Marino's. Rivers was a 4yr started at NC State. He isn't one of these QB's of late that have come out of thr college game too early. Other positions you can leave early and be successful but not the most complicated position in sports. Playmakers win games in this league and Rivers is a playmaker, Brees is a good player but not a playmaker. Brees is just surrounded by playmakers. Gates, LT, Kennan, the O-Line and Caldwell are playmakers, and they are making Brees look good. Big Ben should be an example of what Rivers, who is a better QB, can do in their first year is put around the right players.

JoeMcRugby
Originally posted by: BreesLightning

Why do so many people complain about 02?

We finished at 8-8, he threw for more yards tehn any charger QB had since Stan, he finished with more TD's then INTs

What is so bad about that??

He was average in 02, he was inconsistant at best last year. I blame Marty for that, he pulled him every chance he got. The team was going nowhere last year and they put in Flutie instead of letting Drew learn on the feild.

Brees learned the best football lesson of his life when he got benched: an NFL QB can't turn the ball over. No excuses. The worst case scenario is take care of the football, take the sack or throw it away, punt and live to see another series instead of having your team instantly 2 TD's in the hole.

It isn't all the QB's fault, but the QB MUST take care of the ball first and foremost.

Would Drew have learned the lesson had he not been benched twice in 2003? Maybe - who knows? But IMO Brees wouldn't have learned his lesson as quickly had his hand not been slapped.

Marty drilled it into his head with those benchings - and both Drew (for the remainder of his career) and the Chargers are the beneficiaries of the "tough love" approach.

Go Chargers!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif i/expressions/beer.gif

ThndrStrm5

riverhead
Great Article. It is obvious that although AJ is in his early years as a GM, he is definitely not a newcomer to the inner workings of the NFl draft and operations.

Chargeroo
Check out the article in todays paper, it sounds like we may very well have both Brees and Rivers on this team next year. -

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...9999-1s18chargers.html (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20041118-9999-1s18chargers.html)

tmvalence4
Originally posted by: fullnelson57
Im one of the biggest drew brees fans out there. Ever since he led his high school to a state championship. He does not know how to lose and admit defeat. He will give it his all for an organization that has treated him like #%!$%. Despite that he never complains and is a great person for the team and the community. The bottem line is that the chargers finally have a complete offense and he is performing at the level hes capable of playing. not suprisingly the chargers front office still treats him like @#%$# and claims he still is not that good from what i hear. I hope he leads the team to the playoffs, makes the pro bowl, and gracefully signs with another team in the off season to a team that appreciates what a man he is. Thats the least the organization can do for him. Franchising him and trading him would be another slap in the face to him. He deserves better for all the things he has been put through.
I Agree with you completelyBUT, were talking about a organization that has treated alot of former players with with some undeserved disrespect in the past.. How many Spanos showed up to STANS very SMALL retirement press conferrence?? THE MAN PLAYED WITH HIS ARM IN A SLING HALF THE YEAR!!!! NO RESPECT im telling ya.. RODNEY your slow ,see ya! Lets make PARELLA WAIT A LITTLE LONGER.. The list goes on and on right up to HEY , LETS GET A NEW QB!!! .. Piont Im trying to make is,don't expect them to do the rigth thing.. But thier screwed because, WHY WOULD YOU franchise aCRAPPY QB??? IF YOU DO, DOES THAT MEAN HE'S GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP??? It's not like the fans have a say or they(CHARGERS) would be in powder blues...

Thunderstruck

We finished at 8-8, he threw for more yards tehn any charger QB had since Stan, he finished with more TD's then INTs

Because '02 ended really badly, and that's always the QB's fault, and only the QB's fault. It had nothing to do with Conway being perpetually injured or with injuries all along the offensive and defensive lines. And it had nothing to do with Rodney and Junior both being slowed by nagging injuries. Nope. It was all Drew.

BreesLightning

He was average in 02, he was inconsistant at best last year. I blame Marty for that, he pulled him every chance he got. The team was going nowhere last year and they put in Flutie instead of letting Drew learn on the feild.

Rip

OverVolt

Originally posted by: OldManCharger

Let brees carry his arse right on out the door at the end of the season, he is just a flash in the pan and will fall back down to earth.

Brees is only as good as his supporting cast of players and his O line deserves most of the credit...seriously. Most of the ardent Brees fans were saying early in the season his failures were directly related to the piss-poor perfromance of his surrounding teammates.....but lo and behold when they all start playing well, there is no metnion of the rest of the charger team, defence included.....the WHOLE team is playing well, how about recognizing the fact (again) that Brees is playing well largely because the team is playing better and quite frankly being coached better too.

Too much credit is being given to Brees for this teams success, I am a Charger fan and not an idol worshiper.....Brees is good, no question....but his success this season rests upon the teams success as a cohesive unit. Let's not conveniently forget what everyone was saying at the beginning of the season....BREES needs time and the o-line is weak....suddenly he has time and is amking things happen and his recievers are playing well too. How about that Gates....unbeliveable...never played University ball too...only basketball. Shocking success there.

Well I wish Brees well and much success, but more importnatly the Chargers need to win this collectively.

OMC

Brees is finally having a good year, not great. When the Bolts drafted him, I was bummed out, and he proved me right for 3 years. I know he didnt play his first year and all, but it still counts. 03, and 02 were the most horrible years to go through as a Bolts fan. Before that we knew we didn't have anything, and you are right, these same folks praising Brees at this point in the year, were whining at the start saying we dont have a OL, we dont have a defense, we dont have this, we dont that. Now that the Bolts are winning it's all Brees, not the system, well I dont buy that, the system has helped Brees not to mention he is playing way over his head.

I think about the only thing proven was that you can't see what's going on at any point in Drew's development...when it comes to this game, your a watcher, and that's about it. Your afraid to be wrong, but every week your just digging a deeper hole.
For the record, if you have a QB rating of over 100 half way through the season, with three times the amount of TD passes vs picks, then your having a great season.
Also a fact that may be lost on you, Drew's college career when averaged out was better that Philip's...almost 600 yrds per season more, and 5 or 6 TD's a year more...so just where do you see Rivers as a better prospect? What should be seen, is Philip looks like a good leader, that will have at least as good a rookie year as Drew had, and it should be better, because he has a much better team around him.
This team is now a good one, resign Gates, keep both RIvers and Brees, let them fight it out next year, if Rivers can take the starting QB spot then fine, if Drew holds it, then trade the back up.
People who are unbiased see no reason to think Rivers will be any better than Brees, his college career wasn't.

We have gone through the growing proceess with Brees, if we don't have to, why do it again?
Fact is, the team around Drew is head-and-shoulders above last years...better O-line, better receivers, better playcalling...better defense. Of course the QB will play better. Along with the elevated play around Drew, he has elevated his play as well. In the end, that's all that m

OldManCharger

Let brees carry his arse right on out the door at the end of the season, he is just a flash in the pan and will fall back down to earth.

Brees is only as good as his supporting cast of players and his O line deserves most of the credit...seriously. Most of the ardent Brees fans were saying early in the season his failures were directly related to the piss-poor perfromance of his surrounding teammates.....but lo and behold when they all start playing well, there is no metnion of the rest of the charger team, defence included.....the WHOLE team is playing well, how about recognizing the fact (again) that Brees is playing well largely because the team is playing better and quite frankly being coached better too.

Too much credit is being given to Brees for this teams success, I am a Charger fan and not an idol worshiper.....Brees is good, no question....but his success this season rests upon the teams success as a cohesive unit. Let's not conveniently forget what everyone was saying at the beginning of the season....BREES needs time and the o-line is weak....suddenly he has time and is amking things happen and his recievers are playing well too. How about that Gates....unbeliveable...never played University ball too...only basketball. Shocking success there.

Well I wish Brees well and much success, but more importnatly the Chargers need to win this collectively.

OMC

Brees is finally having a good year, not great. When the Bolts drafted him, I was bummed out, and he proved me right for 3 years. I know he didnt play his first year and all, but it still counts. 03, and 02 were the most horrible years to go through as a Bolts fan. Before that we knew we didn't have anything, and you are right, these same folks praising Brees at this point in the year, were whining at the start saying we dont have a OL, we dont have a defense, we dont have this, we dont that. Now that the Bolts are winning it's all Brees, not the system, well I dont buy that, the system has helped Brees not to mention he is playing way over his head.

Thank God someone is seeing this for what it is, A TEAM EFFORT. Instead of everyone ragging on each other because of which QB they like and becoming delusional about Bree's good play. How about we all applaud the Charger O-line, Defence, Gates, The coaching staff for an amazing season.....Brees is only as good as his supporting cast.....like all the Brees Lovers in week 1, 2, 3, and 4 this year......they all were screaming that his play was so poor because he had no time to throw....well the O-line is giving him time and he's suddenly an MVP candidate??????? Damn, where is the respect for the Men in the trenches....If you were to ask Brees personally, I bet he would tell you the same thing. I like Brees, he has shown some reslove this season and bounced back from what looked like the end of his career. Thankfully for u, he improved just in time for us to have a playoff run and a small shot at the Super Bowl.

But we all need to start acting like fans of the team and the game and give the recognition to the players dislocating their fingers blocking for Brees in the trenches.

Time for the Brees fans to give the O-line and the rest of the team the Props they deserve.....and perhaps the rest of the doubters will set in line with you and embrace the fine play of Brees.

I am a diplomat in this case, I think Brees was the best call for this year, but I am a realist and this prevents me from losing my head on this one......Brees is having one hell of a season, but is he worth 10 Million....NOOOO WAY.

think about it.

Show your true colors and let's give the team a round of applause.

OMC
<

WHITELIGHTNING

OMC

OldManCharger

OMC

WHITELIGHTNING

titankart35
I know what the hell is everyone thinking. It takes four years for a QB to develop he's right on target. Trade Rivers

Trade RIvers

tourplayer2004
Originally posted by: titankart35
I know what the hell is everyone thinking. It takes four years for a QB to develop he's right on target. Trade Rivers

Trade RIvers

What an idiotic thing to say.

BreesLightning
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
[quote]

Dude, I know you like Brees and everything, but stop trying to stir up the crap against Marty. What he said was, "Last year he definitely wasn't as poor as people thought and this year he's probably not as good as people are making him out to be." And you know what? He's right! Brees is playing very well. No doubt! But right now, the media is focusing on Drew like Drew's the reason for our turnaround. It's the old adage: When things are going well, the QB gets all the credit and when things are going badly, the QB gets all the blame.

Yes im a Drew fan but more importantly im a Bolt fan. Why even say Brees "is probably not as good as people are making him out to be"? And to say he wasnt as poor as everyone thought, who did Marty blame for last year? Not himself thats for sure.

renojim
KEEP DREW BREES. I remember when drew and LT were drafted there was alot of hype for both of them. Idont think drew has had enough time to mature as a qb it takes 3-5years for most guys to reach there potential. I know it will be alot of money keep drew. shop rivers if we dont get aggod offer keep them both.

WHITELIGHTNING
Brees is playing way over his head, I just hope he can keep it up until the end of the year.

Wanders
[quote]
Originally posted by: cxwx23
I think Brees' success this year can be directly attributed to the play of his supporting cast. Sure Drew has had a few good games, a few spectacular games actually. But, he is playing at a level that I do not see him capable of sustaining.

Well all QB that have success have a good supporting Cast, Dallas HAd Aikman, Smith, Harper, Irvin, Johnstone and the TE, Would Aikman have been a good QB in lets say Arizona? no, Marino HAd a supporting cast here and there, Fouts had a load of support, look at Vick not much support and whats happening to him, he looks like Brees last year or even worse then last year. Gannon was a back-up and a adaquete fill in till he came to oakland and had a supporting cast, Kurt Warner came out of now where cause he had Faulk, Bruce, Holt and so forth, Remember we even drafted Trent Green, then he went to Washington, the St Louis and started making a name for himself there till Harrison ended his trip in st Louis then ended up in KC where he is a thrower.... What GB doing not that there cast is depleted, Favre is a Good QB...

So it doesnt matter how good you are enless you have support around you, plus they say you need 32 games starting till the game starts to slow down, that was like week 4 this year, for Drew...

If Brees stayed with this supporting cast then he can go along way, even The Big Game, and is listed a a runner for MVP this year, so If the Bolts make the Playoffs, even win a game or 2, or make the Superbowl, and get named Most Improved, MVP how can you let him go for a Rookiethat hasnt started 1 NFL Game, Rivers could be Roethlisberger or Leaf or another Brees, its a crap shoot....

But Brees has proven he know what to do to Win and succed in this Game, so why not have Brees Back 2 more years atleast and teach Rivers as Rivers sits on Bench Learning and Make River a Better QB, I would rather it happen that way then just letting Brees go and next year be like last year... It help Pennington, Bulger, Brunell, Brooks, Hasselbeck, Young, and McNair to name some....

BREES FOR MVP

JoeMcRugby
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Since Stan the Man - we have not had a quality QB - we do Now. Has their ever been a 1st round top draft pick traded before he had a chance to start? We could be the cutting edge and start a trend by keeping the best QB for the Job and not caring what rich teams do. I am the truest of Charger/Padre fans and truly believe in my heart Drew is "The Man" for the job. Today and the next 5 yrs... GO BOLTZ

Start the cutting edge by throwing away a potential Super Bowl winner by throwing away $14 million in cap space (which will necessitate not extending Gates the contract he deserves, not being able to sign free agents in 2005 and being strapped to sign the two first round picks in 2005) and become the laughingstock in football for releasing a top 5 NFL QB for the next decade?

Thanks, but as a Chargers fan, I'll pass on that. Stay the course that what set in April - the only alteration from that would be to slap the franchise tag on Brees and let the chips fall where they may.

Those who are for screwing the Chargers future for the imbecilic idea of trading Rivers aren't Charger fans - they're Brees fans.

I truly like Brees, but no matter what (including the possibility of keeping Brees), Rivers is with the Chargers for the next half-decade minimum.

Time to face reality, Brees fan.

ThndrStrm5
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Since Stan the Man - we have not had a quality QB - we do Now. Has their ever been a 1st round top draft pick traded before he had a chance to start? We could be the cutting edge and start a trend by keeping the best QB for the Job and not caring what rich teams do. I am the truest of Charger/Padre fans and truly believe in my heart Drew is "The Man" for the job. Today and the next 5 yrs... GO BOLTZ

chargertom
Originally posted by: ziggyp22
Plus, Marty is right. Brees has benefitted from a soft schedule.

Dude .. you're a moron. Maybe you should find the jokeland board. Sounds like you'd be better off there.

Thunderstruck
I just watched a story on espn about Drew, Hes all class. During the Marty part of the interview about Drew, Marty said, "Hes probably not as good of a QB as people think" Drew gets no respect from Marty. I have been a charger fan for 30 years and i have never hated a coach as much as i hate Marty.

Drew is ranked 3rd in passer rating, 14 tds 3 ints, lead the bolts to first in the west,and Marty thinks Drew could be replaced with a rookie QB.

Drew is history at the end of the season and it will be a sad day for us charger fans.

Dude, I know you like Brees and everything, but stop trying to stir up the crap against Marty. What he said was, "Last year he definitely wasn't as poor as people thought and this year he's probably not as good as people are making him out to be." And you know what? He's right! Brees is playing very well. No doubt! But right now, the media is focusing on Drew like Drew's the reason for our turnaround. It's the old adage: When things are going well, the QB gets all the credit and when things are going badly, the QB gets all the blame.

spysnipedis
aiyyyeee a aiyyee

another one of the same topic.

ThndrStrm5
Enough said... A Proven QB to compliment Kenan, Gates and LT - not another 2-3 yr training period. We invested in Brees - lets enjoy his fruits of laborous training and he is the #3 QB in the NFL. GO BOLTZ!

ThndrStrm5
A real Charger Fan would LOVE to keep Brees! A whiner would complain and not enjoy the moment... GO BOLTZ!

Thunderstruck
I have said this same thing atleast 10 times on this board, thank god someone else is picking it up. We cant lose brees this year or we're f'd

Like I've said 100 times...giving up Brees is NOT a foregone conclusion. Here's a snippet from Peter King's MMQ article:

"Highly doubtful, though I did talk to Charger GM A.J. Smith Thursday, and he told me not to draw any conclusions about what will happen to his quarterback position after the season. Well, let's just say this: In today's NFL, you can't pay two quarterbacks huge money. San Diego is already playing Rivers, obviously. But as Smith said, "The object of this game is to win, and if we win, we're going to be smart about what we do.'' Smart might mean trying to keep Brees around, though let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember why the Chargers drafted Rivers in the first place -- because a year ago, Brees looked hopeless."

In other words, if AJ is convinced that losing Brees means we won't be able to compete, he's going to have to give it some serious thought.

riverhead

Originally posted by: riverhead

What bull. Give the man his credit. He has more time to throw and his receivers are NOT dropping the ball. Every QB needs time and recivers who dont drop balls. Hes playing great !!!!

I just witnessed (at my favorite sport's bar,McKinleys in Clayton, NC) the DrewMeister's magic show again today. Wow! What a player!

Glad to see Mr. Rivers come in and get a few snaps, courtesy of Drew's performance. I watched the game long enough to state that Drew is performing excellent. Soft Schedule? Who cares. I saw him hit a receiver on a crossing pattern over a defender's head. You don't just do that in any league with any schedule. Great stuff!

Have I seen Rivers do this throughout his career..of course. Drew is has developed and will continue I think to get even better. Cheer for him. San Diego has some very good QBs. And a great O-Line and a Nah-Nah-Nasty Defense. What a year! One game at a time.

Im right off of 42 and Barbour mill Rd. I've never been to Mckinleys, is it a nice place?. I have Direct TV with NFL Season Ticket so I watch all the games at home.

I'm trying to get them (McKinley's) to do that closed caption thing and when they figure out how to operate it well...we're in the money. Fact is, the drafts are good (brew that is), and it is a cozy little "Cheers" where everybody knows your name. But those Carribean Wings! 25 cent wings on Sundays. I live in the Landmark area so the pub is around the corner a piece. I'm thinking of cutting a path through the woods (I mean swamp) so I can walk over. I am there every Sunday. Riversrat, TourPlayer, Luv2fli2 and some others are trying to get a group up somewhere on each Sunday. I will be there week after next to pull for the Bolts and dine on tasty wings.

tourplayer2004
Originally posted by: winburgh
Brees is gone after the season unless they are going to sit crybaby (from a steeler pov cant help it) another year which is unlikely. No way he would stay to back up someone when he could start somewhere and get the money too.

That's my thinking. He wouldn't sit back and ride the bench behind Rivers for less $$$. Not when he could go elsewhere and get paid big dollars and start too. This is just my opinion.........so don't pull your knives out.

winburgh
Brees is gone after the season unless they are going to sit crybaby (from a steeler pov cant help it) another year which is unlikely. No way he would stay to back up someone when he could start somewhere and get the money too.

guimcharger
Maybe it is Marty's way of motivating him to work harder. Whatever Marty is doing to get these players motivated obviously is working.

WHITELIGHTNING
Originally posted by: riverhead

What bull. Give the man his credit. He has more time to throw and his receivers are NOT dropping the ball. Every QB needs time and recivers who dont drop balls. Hes playing great !!!!

I just witnessed (at my favorite sport's bar,McKinleys in Clayton, NC) the DrewMeister's magic show again today. Wow! What a player!

Glad to see Mr. Rivers come in and get a few snaps, courtesy of Drew's performance. I watched the game long enough to state that Drew is performing excellent. Soft Schedule? Who cares. I saw him hit a receiver on a crossing pattern over a defender's head. You don't just do that in any league with any schedule. Great stuff!

Have I seen Rivers do this throughout his career..of course. Drew is has developed and will continue I think to get even better. Cheer for him. San Diego has some very good QBs. And a great O-Line and a Nah-Nah-Nasty Defense. What a year! One game at a time.

Im right off of 42 and Barbour mill Rd. I've never been to Mckinleys, is it a nice place?. I have Direct TV with NFL Season Ticket so I watch all the games at home.

OverVolt
BreesLightening - I think you're taking Marty's remarks a bit out of context. He said that "Drew probably wasn't as bad last year as people said and he's probably not as good now as people are saying". - He's just acknowledging that the QB always get more credit and blame than they deserve because it's still a team game. He wasn't trying to knock Brees, - Only ziggy does that.

Nice to hear what was really said...sure sounds a whole lot different when the whole phrase is presented, and not just what the poster wanted us to hear.
Sounds kinda like Breeslightning is doing the same thing to Marty that others have done to Brees, oh well, there's always someone.
Fact is Marty's right, Brees got way to much blame for last year, and while he's worked very hard, the team around Drew is much better than last...most of us realize that if this team was just as it was last year, Drew's performance wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now.

hiclymr
Hey everybody, my first post i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

As a long time Charger's fan, I was an advocate of pulling Brees after the disastrous starts of the last couple of years. I didn't see his potential because every time he did something good, it seemed he took it back by losing a fumble, throwing an INT, or making a bad decision. I am certainly NOT a hater and win or lose, have lived and died with my bolts since the early 70's. I am very happy he has turned it around these past few weeks and love watching the way he has been performing. I say we keep him with a big fat contract if he proves that he has truly turned a corner by playing well the rest of the season.

On another note, I was glad to see Drew on the sideline at the end of the game (vs. the Saints). It served no purpose to put him out there with the potential for injury when the game was decided. I thought the same about LT but from what I gather, he won't come out unless he has a broken leg or something! Let Chatman fill in while LT gets an early start to heal that groin. My only regret from yesterday is that Marty didn't let Rivers throw a pass! Let's see that million dollar arm throw a couple of passes and maybe put 50 pts on the board for the first time since #14 did it!

See you all Dec 5 vs Denver! GO BOLTS ! !

Rip
I have said this same thing atleast 10 times on this board, thank god someone else is picking it up. We cant lose brees this year or we're f'd

OldManCharger
Originally posted by: fullnelson57
Im one of the biggest drew brees fans out there. Ever since he led his high school to a state championship. He does not know how to lose and admit defeat. He will give it his all for an organization that has treated him like #%!$%. Despite that he never complains and is a great person for the team and the community. The bottem line is that the chargers finally have a complete offense and he is performing at the level hes capable of playing. not suprisingly the chargers front office still treats him like @#%$# and claims he still is not that good from what i hear. I hope he leads the team to the playoffs, makes the pro bowl, and gracefully signs with another team in the off season to a team that appreciates what a man he is. Thats the least the organization can do for him. Franchising him and trading him would be another slap in the face to him. He deserves better for all the things he has been put through.

I agree with you in some respects, but I do not see anywhere in your comment about being a Charger fan.....most of us in here are fans of the team and this by all appearances has been a team effort and not solely Brees.

This is not meant to inflame or antagonize you, and I do appreciate your hopes of a playoff berth, but please respond in kind to the following question.

Are you genuinely a Chargers fan or just a Brees fan?

Quite frankly this idol worthshipping is bad for the team anyhow, if the team was not playing well, and being coached intelligently.....Brees would be in a bad position.....lets realize that Brees needs his team performing oin front of him to continue his success.

A Charger fan cheers for the team and not just one guy, I cheer on Brees but enough of the nonsense about "us" Charger fans not appreciating him.....most intelligent fans do appreciate him, but it was time for him to do it anyways. 4 years is sufficent time to develop....many players are lucky to escape 4 years without injury.

OMC

OldManCharger
Originally posted by: lbroer
It's a west coast thing. They always need something to gripe about or protest They are probably still smarting from the election and are venting their anger. Drew is more than welcome back in the midwest!

Yeah, Banjo country........nice comment, have you joined the Army yet and become an official member of Bush's campaign? Keep your political comments off this board, this is football not politics, and I know that our Moderators will agree wholeheartedly on this one.

Brees is good, but it took a long time and I would say most Charger fans have been pretty damn patient.

Congrats to all the Chagers.

OMC

mrintensity
I guarantee you if we trade Brees it will come back to bite us in the @ss. It doesn't matter if Rivers starts or not next year, we can not trade Brees. Flutie is a good quarterback but really how many years will he continue to play. We have a great opportunity in possibly having two great Q.B.'s.

Say we do trade Brees, then what? Rivers goes down or doesn't perform up to par and then we are right back in the same situation we have been in for years, recruiting veteran Q.B.'s to fill the hole. Granted we don't know what we have in Rivers or what we can have but if the Chargers are curious about the unknown go check out the Bermuda Triangle and leave the system be. We have a team with chemistry it's been years since we have had this. So far next year we are one of the most cap friendly teams in the N.F.L., we need to use that to our advantage. Keep the momentum going. We have a young team this could be a long and awesome trip. GO CHARGERS!!!!!

Scottduf
This is a great take! I couldn't agree more. We are witnessing something pretty special. You don't let a guy walk away after having a pro bowl year. Of course, this assumes that this ride will continue. The Chargers are a completely different team than they were week one or two. Drew is a born leader and he is showing it on the field. Also, it's very refreshing to see him doing it without a lot of talk. He just points to the scoreboard. I have been a charger fan for nearly 30 years; I'm finding it hard to find something to compare to this team right now. In the day's of Air Coryell we had to score forty points because the defense always gave up thirty five or more. This defense is growing better each game and is becoming a force in this league.

We don't have alot of national attention and marquee players', kind of feels like the Patriots! We have one more half to go! Keep it going chargers. Management, if you are reading this, listen to the fans, keep Brees and trade Rivers! We have eaten salary cap money before.

SD

lbroer
It's a west coast thing. They always need something to gripe about or protest They are probably still smarting from the election and are venting their anger. Drew is more than welcome back in the midwest!

While we do talk about a plethora of subjects, politics are one of the taboo subjects on this board.
Please refrain from discussing the subject here. I'm sure you can find another board that would be more than happy to discuss the election with you to your heart's content.

Have 2 great Chargers weeks!

riverhead
riverhead - and they're doing it with an injured super-star that isn't a lot of help right now! Wait till LT gets going again! This offense will be unbelievable once they have LT back at full speed.

BreesLightening - I think you're taking Marty's remarks a bit out of context. He said that "Drew probably wasn't as bad last year as people said and he's probably not as good now as people are saying". - He's just acknowledging that the QB always get more credit and blame than they deserve because it's still a team game. He wasn't trying to knock Brees, - Only ziggy does that.

Chargeroo- Now I am totally convinced that we're really good. I'm not gonna get overconfident but bring on the Steelers, the Patriots, the Eagles! I just wonder if we (the team realizes how good we are). They definitely are starting to swagger a little bit. You're right about LT. Once he is back and healthy, we still have Chatman and a core of receivers and how 'bout the Defense. Excitement.....but Still.....

ONE game at a time.

rostla
I hope and pray that the Chargers do not make the same mistake as the begals. I know that San Diego gave Rivers a $14 million signing bonus but Brees is the man. If we let Brees go, we will make the same mistake as the Bengals did with Kitna and Palmer. The Bengals let money dictate what happens on the field. They annointed Palmer the starter simply because of his signing bonus.

I say sign Brees- even if it costs us another huge signing bonus. Let Rivers and Brees battle it out in the preseason for the starting job. I feel Brees will beat Rivers for the starting job. I know it will be hard for Rivers as the number 2 for another year. HERE IS THE UPSIDE! If Brees plays well again, keep him and trade Rivers!. Yes- trade Rivers! San Diego will be able to get a LITANY of draft picks for him. Remember how Dallas dominated the 90's? It was all because of the trade or Herschel Walker to Minnesota for all those draft picks. We get a bunch of draft picks. We get new blood in our team. Plus they can learn form veterans like Jamal Williams and Donnie Edwards who might be on the downside of their careers in a year or two.

The only wrench in my plan is if Brees gets seriously injured or if he plays poorly next year. I don't think he will play poorly and if he gets hurt, we have Rivers. I believe the main reason the Chargers are playing so well is because you have a desperate coach and QB. Marty knows this is his LAST chance to win a Superbowl. If he doesn't do well this year, it is highly unlikely he will get another chance with another team. Brees is desperate because the front office basically said that they did not want him and went and drafted a rookie QB. Both Marty and Brees are desperate.

I have faith in AJ Smith. He has to be the GM manager of the year. I pray he is reading this or is thinking along the same lines as I am. DON'T LET $$$$ DICTATE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FIELD!!!

Chargers

Originally posted by: parker88fan

i hope he makes pro bowl the hall of fame and whatever else there is but lets trade him already

3rd ranked QB in the nfl and people want to trade him.

Dam River rats

I don't see how any CHARGER fan would want to see the starting QB go during the middle of the season (even though it's not possible). There is no telling how well Rivers would play.....why risk it? the 100+ QB rating is just fine with me...

BreesLightning
Originally posted by: parker88fan
i hope he makes pro bowl the hall of fame and whatever else there is but lets trade him already

3rd ranked QB in the nfl and people want to trade him.

Dam River rats

spysnipedis
parker88fan, what don't you understand. trade deadline be over for a long time now. Trading him would be a bad idea anyways.

parker88fan

Chargers
What concerns me is that rumor about how someone in the organization said Rivers could be doing as good, if not better, than Brees. They probably do think that still, but to bash your QB (again) when he is rolling and taking your team towards the playoffs is ludicrous. On the other hand, it is just a rumor, so who knows.

spysnipedis
well, i agree with you only on one thing, He deserves to make Pro Bowl.
Chargers fan don't realize that what he had last year to work with was just a piece of crap. Now that the Offense has some weapons and the o-line can protect Brees, he really is a force. He basically has to work with a hurt LT, and some how comes out victorious. Brees deserves a new contract for this team. I get what you are trying to say, but it is what people don't realize.

fullnelson57

riverhead
Originally posted by: bubbachuck383
i would rather actually see cleo lemon play than rivers... nothin against river i like him alot and he'll be good for us but i just wanna see what cleo is like.

I think there may be a very good chance to see that unwind next year. Should Drew actually land elsewhere and Flutie retires, then that puts Rivers and Lemon on the short list. Like I have said before, a number 2 QB in this league is just a snap away from starting. Anything can happen.

All of these guys show up for practice and do their homework, thus they should be granted a chance to take the test. I'd like to see Cleo take some snaps as well. I hear he is a great athlete.

bubbachuck383
i would rather actually see cleo lemon play than rivers... nothin against river i like him alot and he'll be good for us but i just wanna see what cleo is like.

Thunderstruck
Originally posted by: LIGHTNINGBOLTinc
If Charger fans can not see that Brees has turned the corner to be a top QB they never will, and they probably have been rooting against Brees and the Chargers just to get a certain player (Rivers) in there all along. they were just hoping Brees could play good enough to get us a good player if we traded him later. Unfortunatly it looks like these fans will never support Brees no matter how good he does. Just remember Payton Manning himself was 15/26 for only 198 yards with 3 TD's and 1 INT against those same RAIDERS just 3 weeks before Brees and the Chargers played them. I say we could draft a "no name player" with one of our 1st round picks next year with the agreement to give Brees the first round money, and give the no name player a small bonus for getting the extra attention of being drafted in the first round.

In fairness, from what I've seen, the worst fans when it comes to rooting against Brees have been Charger fans. The Rivers fans, for the most part, seem to have been convinced that Brees deserves to be starting. But there are Charger fans who still hold a grudge against Brees (can you say Flutie fans?) and it seem to me that they're the ones who are actually unreasonable.

LIGHTNINGBOLTinc
If Charger fans can not see that Brees has turned the corner to be a top QB they never will, and they probably have been rooting against Brees and the Chargers just to get a certain player (Rivers) in there all along. they were just hoping Brees could play good enough to get us a good player if we traded him later. Unfortunatly it looks like these fans will never support Brees no matter how good he does. Just remember Payton Manning himself was 15/26 for only 198 yards with 3 TD's and 1 INT against those same RAIDERS just 3 weeks before Brees and the Chargers played them. I say we could draft a "no name player" with one of our 1st round picks next year with the agreement to give Brees the first round money, and give the no name player a small bonus for getting the extra attention of being drafted in the first round.

Chargeroo
riverhead - and they're doing it with an injured super-star that isn't a lot of help right now! Wait till LT gets going again! This offense will be unbelievable once they have LT back at full speed.

riverhead

MoveitMister
Originally posted by: ziggyp22

How would you like a timeout?

How can you down a guy that just pitched 22/36 for 257 yds and 4 touchdowns?
How could you down a guy that pitched a near perfect game last week?
How can you call yourself a Chargers fan while wishing their starting qb ill week after week?

BreesLightning

ziggyp22

mgpretzel
Mabey he said that so Drew dosn;t get a big ego.....

cxwx23
I think Brees' success this year can be directly attributed to the play of his supporting cast. Sure Drew has had a few good games, a few spectacular games actually. But, he is playing at a level that I do not see him capable of sustaining.

Marty's qoute, while not very supportive, is correct. Drew has earned a lot of media attention for "leading the Chargers" to this years winning record. Like last year when all the blame was being unfairly put on his shoulders, I think some of the praise being directed at him this year should be going to other members of the team.

BreesLightning
Sapp is a SAP. blamed everyone on the Oakland defense except himself.

spysnipedis
the interview with warren sapp is just funny.
but he's an idiot. i didn't see him do anything special out there.
he did say something on how other QBs never completed 88% of their passes and they made brees look good...

thats bs, he probably never watched any film on the chargers thats why he sucked,

dgjock
did anyone else saw later on during their interview with Sapp, that Sapp just rip Brees.
I think he said something like: this is drew brees, a not so good QB, and we made him look like the greatest thing coming. He definitely is a sore loser.

BreesLightning
I thought it was a very negative comment. They were talking if they gave up on him too early and Marty said, Drew was playing better then he expected but doesnt think hes as good a QB as people may think.

dgjock
I thought it was a very negative comment. They were talking if they gave up on him too early and Marty said, Drew was playing better then he expected but doesnt think hes as good a QB as people may think.

Yeah, I thought that too. Marty was saying something like the QB position doesnt make the team competitive, so they need another QB or something like that

spysnipedis
They were talking about if they gave up on Brees to early and now becoming a great football player. He got a personal trainer, ate all that fruits and vegetables.

he said he wanted to start his first game and end it in the same place. San Diego.

The lady asked if he had a choice, he said he would want to stay in San Diego.

I think Chargers should resign him and just to work out a deal. Thats a QB thats wants to be here.

[b] BreesLightning, i don't think that's a negative comment. those type of sayings get me confused... i'm thinking he's saying thats Drew is better than what people think, but heck i'm bad with those kind of confusing words.

BreesLightning
I just watched a story on espn about Drew, Hes all class. During the Marty part of the interview about Drew, Marty said, "Hes probably not as good of a QB as people think" Drew gets no respect from Marty. I have been a charger fan for 30 years and i have never hated a coach as much as i hate Marty.

Drew is ranked 3rd in passer rating, 14 tds 3 ints, lead the bolts to first in the west,and Marty thinks Drew could be replaced with a rookie QB.

Drew is history at the end of the season and it will be a sad day for us charger fans.

Chargeroo
12-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Read todays Union Tribune - the GM says Rivers will not be on the trading block. He said other GM's may want that to happen but it's not going to happen. --

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...ts/chargers/index.html (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/index.html)

Wanders
12-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Read todays Union Tribune - the GM says Rivers will not be on the trading block. He said other GM's may want that to happen but it's not going to happen. --

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...ts/chargers/index.html (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/index.html)

Well i know from experience that what you read and what happens is 2 different things... if they were to get a cant pass deal on either Drew or Phillip they would take it.... Its harder to trade Brees now how he is playing and got top have that next year also but if a team put up a trade offer the Chargers could refuse they would trade Rivers......

Likely hood.. not gonna trade him..

Possible .... Yes

tourplayer2004
12-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Quote from rt2333:

I think Rivers put a sour taste in the mouths of every Charger fan when he held off during the preseason. He would have EASILY won the starting job if he came in without his agent screwing around and wasting time. I have no doubt that hes a talent an a future star...

However, my gut says so hold on to both next year and give it another shot for Brees...If he fails next season and Philip steps up, then Philip is the man. Its just better for us to have two choices next season.

This will ENSURE that we get the best player and once we figure that out, then we keep the better of the two and let the other go via trade to Oakland for GALLERY...or Roy Williams in Dallas...

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

So you want a 40 million dollar QB to sit on the bench another year? I wonder........do you really have the teams best interests at heart? Yeah....I like Rivers. And I like Brees. So you say keep Brees another year and continue to let your #1 draft pick ride the pine and continue to not get snaps in a real game. Man....he ought to be really good by the time he gets to play........what when he's 32? Don't forget there are more people on the Chargers roster than just Rivers and Brees. Brees won't play for peanuts. Neither will any of the other players we need to sign and keep.

spysnipedis
12-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by: tourplayer2004
Quote from rt2333:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

So you want a 40 million dollar QB to sit on the bench another year? I wonder........do you really have the teams best interests at heart? Yeah....I like Rivers. And I like Brees. So you say keep Brees another year and continue to let your #1 draft pick ride the pine and continue to not get snaps in a real game. Man....he ought to be really good by the time he gets to play........what when he's 32? Don't forget there are more people on the Chargers roster than just Rivers and Brees. Brees won't play for peanuts. Neither will any of the other players we need to sign and keep.

shoot, i'll play for little money i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

the way i see it. the Charger fans vote like election day for there quarterback. wouldn't that be pimp.!

Wanders
12-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Here is a great Article about shEli Manning and the Chargers....

A Must Read

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/h...prov=citadel&type=lgns (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/z/nflsdg/sty/SIG=143u7pu3c;_ylt=AjkKSGQO_eMyrmkX6nXVYpoE1vAI/*http%3A//us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/nflsdg/sty/*http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_329151_102&prov=citadel&type=lgns)

tourplayer2004
12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by: Wanders
Here is a great Article about shEli Manning and the Chargers....

A Must Read

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/h...prov=citadel&type=lgns (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/z/nflsdg/sty/SIG=143u7pu3c;_ylt=AjkKSGQO_eMyrmkX6nXVYpoE1vAI/*http%3A//us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/nflsdg/sty/*http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_329151_102&prov=citadel&type=lgns)

I can't believe what I just read. I mean, how pathetic is that situation. What makes Eli think that the Chargers even want him to begin with. And his dad needs to stay the hell out of it. His dad is doing nothing but turning the Manning name into mud. Eli is doing a pretty good job of doing that.......and his agent too. His dad expects Eli to just "replace" Brees? So far, Eli ahs shown me nothing but how to take a sack. Give me a break.

Rip
12-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Why would we trade either of our QB's?

QB is the premier position in the NFL and most teams done even have a good one, and yet we have two. We're already in the best possible shape we can be in, we are in the playoffs, we have 2 good young QB's, the top RB and TE in the NFL, very good OL, and an improving defense.

We already have 2 #1's this year, we dont need another one that bad. Keeping rivers/brees is the smart thing to do becuase it will give us something most other teams dont, INSURANCE!

In case Brees goes down, would you want Rivers in there? Or would you want Clea in there?? Nothing against Cleo, i mean im a lemonhead too, but id rather take my chances with Rivers.

Keep both picks, both QB's and get them a stud WR (only if Williams or Edwards are available) and more defensive help!

riverhead
12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Why would we trade either of our QB's?

QB is the premier position in the NFL and most teams done even have a good one, and yet we have two. We're already in the best possible shape we can be in, we are in the playoffs, we have 2 good young QB's, the top RB and TE in the NFL, very good OL, and an improving defense.

We already have 2 #1's this year, we dont need another one that bad. Keeping rivers/brees is the smart thing to do becuase it will give us something most other teams dont, INSURANCE!

In case Brees goes down, would you want Rivers in there? Or would you want Clea in there?? Nothing against Cleo, i mean im a lemonhead too, but id rather take my chances with Rivers.

Keep both picks, both QB's and get them a stud WR (only if Williams or Edwards are available) and more defensive help!

I like it ... yes I do.

CoachK
12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Lots of guys appear to dislike Rivers these days, simply because Brees is playing well.

I'm on the other coast, so I don't get the local coverage. So had Rivers done something (besides hold out) to anger the local fan base?

If I remember correctly, it wasn't about money but insane incentives.

Isn't he basically doing his job learning the offense and holding the clipboard these days?

JoeMcRugby
12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by: CoachK
Lots of guys appear to dislike Rivers these days, simply because Brees is playing well.

I'm on the other coast, so I don't get the local coverage. So had Rivers done something (besides hold out) to anger the local fan base?

If I remember correctly, it wasn't about money but insane incentives.

Isn't he basically doing his job learning the offense and holding the clipboard these days?

It seems that a lot of the people who post in the QB talk forum want to throw either Rivers or Brees under the bus.

To answer your question, his holdout was not accurately portrayed by either side. There were some unreachable incentives involved, but even without the incentives, Rivers' initial offer was equivalent to Fitzgerald's contract and Gallery's contract. Rivers' agent was holding out for an equal bonus that SquEli got.

AJ wasn't going to screw over the team's future, so he toed the line on the signing bonus. That's what led to the holdout, and Rivers' agent eventually caved.

As it turns out, it is the best thing that could have happened for the Chargers and in the end, may be the best thing for Rivers' long term career.

Rip
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by: CoachK

Yeah i noticed that too and cant really explain it. I have been the biggest brees supporter on this site, and still think it was a mistake to give up on him, but im not gonna bash Rivers before i even see him play (well he does do a good job of taking a knee i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif )

cabodog
12-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Real Charger fans have been saying Trade Rivers/Leaf from the start. Brees has a supporting cast and is on his way. AFC Championship Game this year - Super Bowl in 05 - IF WE KEEP BREEs! GO BOLTZ!!

Waht has Rivers done to be put on par with Ryan Leaf...you have got to be kissing. What a low blow. Why can we support them both instead of trashing them. That's what Real Charger fans do......

OverVolt
12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Would we ever cut Rivers?

NO we haven't even seen what he can do...we'd be stupid.

Wanders
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Ok, heres the situation...

What do they do after next year... The Talk is to Franchise Tag Brees for about 9 mill and with Rivers making 2.5 - 2.9 mil, ok, and we have 21 mil under cap before Brees's Take.. and what if Brees has another solid year, takes us to the playoffs again?
Takes us to the AFC Title game? or big Wish the SB?

Do they try to sign Brees then or let him walk, if they sign him they'd have to restructure Rivers contract... Will Rivers be happy to take pay cut and/or wanna try to rightfully win the starting job? or be a baby about it?

If they let Brees walk, then they would be like, Hey atleast we had 2 playoff years and hope Rivers and just play up to Par?

Whats up with the QB names lately anyways, Leaf, Brees, Rivers, next one gonna be Forrest? or Meadows?

Kwakothunder
12-14-2004, 03:44 PM

Well, REAL charger fans would never compare Rivers to Leaf. You need to get a hold of reality.

Even considering that comparison shows what little knowledge you have with repect to the game of football and the postion of QB.

I guess this debate will go on until one of them is not on the team.