PDA

View Full Version : Dave Dickenson

IgorUnchained
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey All-

Anyone remember Dave Dickenson from the University of Montana? He came to the Chargers from a successful stint in Canada where he had a Flutie ish game and a Flutie ish record. I only saw him play a few series in a few preseason games, but he did very well. He was the perfect understudy to Flutie and I would wager he is better that Cleo Lemon. Does anyone know what happened to Dave? Where he is now or why he was cut? Does anyone remember seeing him play and have a comment?

My second point is more of a spiritual question. Does anyone else think that the Hand of Thor or any of the other various Bolt Gods have something to do with the Chargers success this far? I dont think that anyone would have EVER called this season at the begining. If I would have told you we would be 6-3 at the bye week and LT was hurt and not running 100 yards...you would have thought I was huffing paint. With all of the questions at the beginning of the year: Drew or Rivers, who is the O line, have the secondary gelled, can we work the 3-4 successfully THIS YEAR,rookie kickers, rookies on the D line...
How did it ever work out this well? None of those things have been a problem this year to this point.
Do any of you have this kind of luck? Me either! Go Bolts!

Triknique
11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Chek this article out....http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Foot...004/11/10/708553.html
(http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2004/11/10/708553.html
)

Pretty recent article from Dickenson talking about Brees.

IgorUnchained
11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks alot for that info! It is good to see that Dave is still playing ball and winning. I think that Dave would have been a good fit with the Chargers.

svbigdaddy
11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Dickenson?...aka the best Jr High QB ever?...he did have a pretty good preseason for us I must admit.

JoeMcRugby
11-10-2004, 05:55 PM
The scary thing about Dave Dickenson is (damn, I'm hesitant to admit this) that both he and Ryan Leaf were from my high school alma mater (C.M. Russell High School in Great Falls, Montana).

They were there LONG after I last set foot in Montana (I graduated in 1978), but from what I understand, Leaf is/was a hated person even before he became a college star (not surprising given his personality). Dickenson, on the other hand, is loved by the entire state.

I think they may be the only two NFL players to come out of CMR. Like I said, SCARY!!

Threadkiller
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Dickenson is the classic Minor League Quarterback, who never would have made it in the NFL. At least you can't see say that he didn't give it his best shot, having failed to make the roster of several NFL teams. I admire him for trying.

jeremyh
11-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I liked him but it obviously wasn't just the Chargers who didn't find him cut out for the NFL. Didn't he also go to Miami and Seattle before landing back in the CFL?

JoeMcRugby
11-10-2004, 06:08 PM
I know Dickenson was in Miami after being released by the Bolts. A short guy whose mobility is made for the Canadian game.

Hey ... for some reason, that reminds me of someone else. Can't think of the dude's name, though.

bubbachuck383
11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
dave is the best but he never got his shot to actually get playing time in the nfl. GO GRIZ!!!!!

Eowawa
11-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Too bad fate didn't give Dave about 3 more inches of height because he sure seemed to have a knack for everything else. I enjoyed watching him play every time I saw him.

saskchargerfan
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
being a canadian, i have some info on dickenson.

first off, i want to say he obviously hasn't been keeping up to date on the chargers if he feels our roster is just "average"

anyways...

Dickenson returned to Canada to be a star in the CFL. He was last years MVP, and was looking good again to start this season. Then he got hurt in a game early on against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. His replacement, Casey Printers, came in and did an amazing job, definitely the most electrifying player in the CFL this year, possibly ever. Casey Printers is a name I feel will be known in NFL circles one day, he will be the best QB to make the move from Canada to the NFL since Warren Moon (no offense to Doug Flutie, but his best years were behind him when he made the jump. I love Doug ) Think near Micheal Vick athleticism with what appears to be better decision making ability (then again, he is playing against CFL defences)

Dave returned from injury a couple of weeks ago, and it has created quite the quarterback controversy. The Lions coach said all along that no player would lose his spot due to injury, but Printers truly is a special player. It is likely Printers will start this weekends Western final against the Roughriders.

Lately, the two have both been playing, and both have been playing well, it is the type of quarterback controversy teams dont mind having, but it is definitely a hot topic of discussion up north. Dickenson has looked very impressive in recent weeks, in particular coming off the bench after Printers received a heavy hit in the final minutes and leading an impressive drive for a come from behind win over the CFL powerhouse Montreal Allouettes i believe 3 weeks ago.

Hope I didnt go on for too long.

Gadzooks
11-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Alot of good QBs have come from the CFL. Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, Jeff Garcia, Flutie. In the case of Garcia and Flutie they were lucky enough to get a break. Steve Young going down opened the door for Garcia and the fact that the Bills had that piece of garbage Rob Johnson gave Flutie his chance. Dickenson was very similar to both Garcia and Flutie as far a his level of talent however, for Dickenson I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

On a side note Ricky Ray is back with the Jets and hoping for his shot.

Shamrock
11-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by: jeremyh
Didn't he also go to Miami and Seattle before landing back in the CFL?
He got cut by both those teams.

Originally posted by: Threadkiller
Dickenson is the classic Minor League Quarterback, who never would have made it in the NFL.
He sucked and had no arm.

This thread should be buried in the QB section.

1960BoltFan
11-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I think we could have had some success in the NFL if he was given a chance. I watched him on a CFL game on tv last year.
I think it is dumb that he would comment on the guys around Brees as being "average", when he doesn't know any of them. I think the only guy on the team then and now was LT. So he should keep his "average" opinions to himself, simply because he is just guessing.

cliff
11-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I thought I was the only Charger fan here in Montana but I see there is another Charger/Griz fan here on this forum. Dave Dickenson was one great quarterback to watch when he played for the Griz helping them win a 1-AA national championship. I would have liked to see him get a better shot at playing in the N.F.L. but his size was definitly what kept teams from not giving him a better look not his ability. Go Griz and Chargers.

IgorUnchained
11-12-2004, 06:16 AM
I am a Chargers fan from Montana- I havent followed the Griz for a while, but back in Daves Day I lived in Missoula and watched every game. I have several good friends that went to high school in Great Falls with Leaf and especially his younger brother. I hear the younger brother is less talented but much cooler to be around. Once again, it is nice to meet a bunch of Montana Charger fans. Thanks to all who shared some insight into my Dave question. Sask's take from the Canadian perspective was very cool to hear. I will end with an appology to Shamrock for posting a subject like this which insulted his intelligence. With all of your important posts, I can see why you would deem mine worthy of being "BURIED" in the Quarterback Section. I will definately make sure and check with MR Shamrock next time Before I post...see if it entertains him.
GO BOLTS!

Chargeroo
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
You Montana fans should check in here -
http://forums.chargers.com/mes...adid=120&enterthread=y (http://forums.chargers.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=120&enterthread=y)

OldManCharger
11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by: Gadzooks
Alot of good QBs have come from the CFL. Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, Jeff Garcia, Flutie. In the case of Garcia and Flutie they were lucky enough to get a break. Steve Young going down opened the door for Garcia and the fact that the Bills had that piece of garbage Rob Johnson gave Flutie his chance. Dickenson was very similar to both Garcia and Flutie as far a his level of talent however, for Dickenson I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

On a side note Ricky Ray is back with the Jets and hoping for his shot.

I was going to say the very same thing, you are a well informed football fan.....its true alot of NFL stars have come from stints in the CFL....its a great training ground because they throw the ball 40 or more time a game there....only 3 downs...its pretty exciting stuff. I have tuned into a few Grey cups...their version of the SuperBowl....I love the NFL....but I have to confess the Grey Cup...(that what its called right?) has been more exciting to watch and closer games than most of the NFL Super Bowls I have seen.

Perhaps Dickenson will get his shot in a couple years and be just like all the QBs you just mentioned who spent 7 or more years in Canada honingtheir games. Let's face it, the CFL is the best farm system the NFL has, a lot better than the European league....seen a few games there and they are really BUSH, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the post Gadzooks

OMC

JoeMcRugby
11-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Here's an article from Dickenson's hometown rag as he prepares for the CFL Championship Game. BTW His alma mater (and mine) C.M. Russell High School will be playing for their 11th state title in 28 years under the tutelage of my former head coach Jack Johnson.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Dave Dickenson has that old feeling again.

It's the same one he had in 1989 and 1990, when he led C.M. Russell High to 24 straight football victories and back-to-back Class AA championships.

It's the same one he had in 1995, when he led the University of Montana to the NCAA Division I-AA championship, efficiently guiding the Grizzlies on a fourth-quarter drive to edge Marshall 22-20.

Dickenson isn't 16 years old anymore, as he was the first time he led his football team to its ultimate goal. He isn't as quick as he was nine years ago, when he used his feet, his guile and an accurate arm to bring great glory to his state and his university.

But at the age of 31, with more than half his life spent playing quarterback, Dickenson has that old championship feeling again. He hopes to lead the British Columbia Lions past the Toronto Argonauts Sunday in the Grey Cup the Super Bowl of the Canadian Football League.

"I'm excited to play football, and I wasn't sure I was going to feel this way again this year," Dickenson said Tuesday night from his motel room in Ottawa, where the Grey Cup will be played.

Dickenson has undergone three knee surgeries in the past year, and missed most of this CFL season. Fortunately, the Lions didn't miss him too much, since rookie QB Casey Printers performed extremely well.

The Lions won the Western Conference championship with a 13-5 record, as Dave played sparingly. He completed almost 70 percent of his throws for 967 yards and eight touchdowns, and was feeling well enough to start last week against Saskatachewan.

Coach Wally Buono instead opted for Printers in the Western Division finals, but when the starting QB was injured early in the fourth quarter, Dickenson got thrown in the fire.

Just where he likes to be.

"I only played three drives," Dave said, "but I got some things done."

First, he led his team on a 105-yard drive (the field is 110 yards long) and threw a TD pass. Then he led the Lions on a 64-yard march that ended with a field goal. In OT, he guided the Lions into position for the field goal that gave them a 27-25 victory. In about 11 minutes, he completed 9-of-11 passes for 155 yards.

Now, he's hoping to get the starting nod Sunday against Toronto.

"My first game back was against Toronto," said Dickenson, "so at least I'm familiar with them. They have the best defense in the league."

Buono isn't expected to choose his starting quarterback until late this week.

"My knee is OK, the best it's been all year, although nowhere near where it was before," he said. "But I can't complain. I had just about written this season off."

This will be the third Grey Cup appearance for Dickenson, who was Jeff Garcia's understudy in 1998 when the Calgary Stampeders won the Cup, and he started in 1999 when the Stamps lost to Hamilton.

Dickenson also is preparing for another important role as a father. He and his wife, Tammy, are expecting their first child in January.

The Dickensons plan to visit Dave's parents Bob and Sue in Great Falls over the Thanksgiving weekend, and hope to attend a Griz playoff game on Nov. 27 in Missoula.

"A lot depends on whether we have commitments in Vancouver after the Grey Cup," Dave said. "If we win, it might be tougher to get away.

"And I think we're gonna win."

http://www.greatfallstribune.c.../SPORTS/411180330/1006 (http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041118/SPORTS/411180330/1006)

Dan40
11-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by: IgorUnchained
(Dickenson) was the perfect understudy to Flutie and I would wager he is better that Cleo Lemon.

I would tend to disagree based on both men's play in the preseason. Lemon has a ton of upside, has good mobility and a gun for an arm. I think A.J. has a lot of confidence in him based on the 5-year contract he received earlier this year.

JoeMcRugby
11-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Cleo Lemon has a five year contract? I didn't know that!

Unless Lemon got a big bonus for signing that deal, either he or his agent was very shortsighted (and not very intelligent).

bubbachuck383
11-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by: cliff
I thought I was the only Charger fan here in Montana but I see there is another Charger/Griz fan here on this forum. Dave Dickenson was one great quarterback to watch when he played for the Griz helping them win a 1-AA national championship. I would have liked to see him get a better shot at playing in the N.F.L. but his size was definitly what kept teams from not giving him a better look not his ability. Go Griz and Chargers.

how bout that cat griz game today man us grizzlies really stomped em

Rip
11-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by: saskchargerfan
His replacement, Casey Printers, came in and did an amazing job, definitely the most electrifying player in the CFL this year, possibly ever. Casey Printers is a name I feel will be known in NFL circles one day, he will be the best QB to make the move from Canada to the NFL since Warren Moon (no offense to Doug Flutie, but his best years were behind him when he made the jump. I love Doug ) Think near Micheal Vick athleticism with what appears to be better decision making ability (then again, he is playing against CFL defences)

Wasnt Casey Printers the QB who's job it was to turn around and hand the ball to LT while he was at TCU?

IgorUnchained
11-21-2004, 09:44 PM
yeah Bubba-- I watched that game on Sat.- Go Griz
Cool Tribune story too Mcrugby!

cliff
11-22-2004, 12:52 PM
It was a great football weekend. The Griz wining the Big Sky and advancing to the 1-AA playoofs for the 12th straight year and the Chargers taking one more step towards the playoffs.

bubbachuck383
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
It was a great football weekend. The Griz wining the Big Sky and advancing to the 1-AA playoofs for the 12th straight year and the Chargers taking one more step towards the playoffs.

r u from helena.

riverhead
11-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by: bubbachuck383

r u from helena.

BubbaChuck,
Who's the lassie in your icon?

bubbachuck383
11-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by: riverhead

r u from helena.

BubbaChuck,

Who's the lassie in your icon?

that is vida guerra

riverhead
11-25-2004, 08:27 AM
That is vida guerra

Many Thanks.

bubbachuck383
11-25-2004, 04:28 PM
no problem

riverhead
11-28-2004, 08:24 AM
no problem

By the way,

The Vida's World site is great.

bubbachuck383
11-28-2004, 03:56 PM
it sure is

cliff
11-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Another great football weekend. Griz stomping NLSU and the Chargers rolling on. Griz get to host another play-off game.

P.S. I am from Hamilton

bubbachuck383
11-30-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah definately a great game. levander segars is my favorite player and he had two TDs that game. i think he'd but a good punt returner in the NFL.