PDA

View Full Version : Is Brees worth keeping?

UbiquoY
11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Hey everyone, Eagles fan here, in case you couldn't tell from my avatar and sig. Any how, I was talking about the Brees/Rivers situation on the Eagles MB, and since I find it very interesting, I decided to talk with Chargers fans about it, since you guys obviously are more familiar with your own team.

Anyway, an issue I haven't seen raised on here is this: With $18M in guaranteed money, the Chargers can't afford to get rid of Rivers. They made a mistake giving up on brees too early, and while it must be nice to see him playing well, I can't imagine an NFL team wanting to pay two starters at QB.

I don't know, but I imagine Brees is looking for a 5-7 year contract of at least $30M, with about $10M guaranteed. I just pulleed these numbers out of my butt, but they make sense considering his play this year. So the issue comes down to this: is it worth it to keep brees when with that money you could probably sign another premeir FA?

Someone like Charles Woodson may well be available, and would probably cost about the same as Brees. Drew will no doubt play better than Phil nest year, but if it come down to Rivers + Woodson (hypothetical , obviously) vs. Brees, which would you choose.

BTW, don't even think about Julian Peterson, he belongs to the Eagles.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Rip
11-29-2004, 09:11 PM
WE have 20+ mil in cap space so we can afford to keep him, If we lose him, it would be a bigger mistake then drafting Leaf

BTW, looking at your sig, i can twait til we do play you guys, IN THE SUPERBOWL!!

UbiquoY
11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by: Rip
WE have 20+ mil in cap space so we can afford to keep him, If we lose him, it would be a bigger mistake then drafting Leaf

BTW, looking at your sig, i can twait til we do play you guys, IN THE SUPERBOWL!!

Nice response to the sig, but while you guys are playing great football this year, the PAts will be tough.

spysnipedis
11-29-2004, 09:14 PM
well the thing is you can afford to get rid of rivers and it's possible next year. Brees is playing out of his mind and i would keep him if i had a choice.

One thing is correct, i can't wait Super Bowl Chargers vs Eagles.

but we know one thing, whos going to win it.

i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

UbiquoY
11-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis
well the thing is you can afford to get rid of rivers and it's possible next year. Brees is playing out of his mind and i would keep him if i had a choice.

One thing is correct, i can't wait Super Bowl Chargers vs Eagles.

but we know one thing, whos going to win it.

You want to take a $15M cap hit next year by ditching Rivers?

spysnipedis
11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
not really a big hit, i read somewhere and heard it on the radio where it will only take like 2.3 or something like that a year every year. not sure how that happens i think by keeping Rivers another year

oh yea thanks for beating the giants i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

UbiquoY
11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
not really a big hit, i read somewhere and heard it on the radio where it will only take like 2.3 or something like that a year every year. not sure how that happens i think by keeping Rivers another year

oh yea thanks for beating the giants

You guys must be licking your chops looking at a 10-15 and a 25-30.

spysnipedis
11-29-2004, 09:47 PM
what you mean by 10-15 and 25-30/???

UbiquoY
11-29-2004, 09:50 PM
what you mean by 10-15 and 25-30/???

Draft picks...I assume that's why you thanked us for beating the Giants?

spysnipedis
11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
oh well the more they lose to lower pick we have. plus We don't like ELi.

BreesLightning
11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by: UbiquoY
Hey everyone, Eagles fan here, in case you couldn't tell from my avatar and sig. Any how, I was talking about the Brees/Rivers situation on the Eagles MB, and since I find it very interesting, I decided to talk with Chargers fans about it, since you guys obviously are more familiar with your own team.

Anyway, an issue I haven't seen raised on here is this: With $18M in guaranteed money, the Chargers can't afford to get rid of Rivers. They made a mistake giving up on brees too early, and while it must be nice to see him playing well, I can't imagine an NFL team wanting to pay two starters at QB.

I don't know, but I imagine Brees is looking for a 5-7 year contract of at least $30M, with about $10M guaranteed. I just pulleed these numbers out of my butt, but they make sense considering his play this year. So the issue comes down to this: is it worth it to keep brees when with that money you could probably sign another premeir FA?

Someone like Charles Woodson may well be available, and would probably cost about the same as Brees. Drew will no doubt play better than Phil nest year, but if it come down to Rivers + Woodson (hypothetical , obviously) vs. Brees, which would you choose.

BTW, don't even think about Julian Peterson, he belongs to the Eagles.

Well this year our QBs are taking up approx. 10mill (Rivers $4 mill, Drew 3 mill, Flutie 2.5 mill . By letting Flutie go, that $ goes to drew, therefore we need to find another 3 mill to tag Brees. To lock him up to a longer deal will probably be less of a cap hit during the first part of his contract. Next year the Bolts will be 20 mill under the cap so it would be very workable to keep them both for the next couple years min.

spysnipedis
11-29-2004, 11:35 PM
i would keep Flutie at all cost. it's the best thing to do.

BreesLightning
11-29-2004, 11:43 PM
i would keep Flutie at all cost. it's the best thing to do.

you would risk losing Brees to keep Flutie?

tarballed
11-30-2004, 10:27 AM

oh yea thanks for beating the giants

Not a big hit? $12-14 million is not a big cap hit? Are you freaking kidding me? Thank goodness your not AJ, because that move alone would put us back in cap hell which we are finally going to be getting out of after this season!!

No way we trade Rivers. Do you think the Spanos would be happy, just getting rid of Rivers, after they shelled out a crap load of cash for him?!? Come on man...wake up.

I have no idea what is going to happen. None of us do. But trading Rivers would only hurt this team.

My thoughts.

Rip
11-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Why get rid of Rivers? Id rather have him go in if anything happens to Drew (God Forbid!!) then Fruity or Lemon