11-30-2004, 05:15 PM
not much of a first post
see u around, rookie!

Chargers
11-30-2004, 05:15 PM
No doubt

JoeMcRugby
11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Damn, missed out on the news where Rivers has been demoted to third string.

Isn't it a league rule that if the third string QB comes in before the fourth quarter, then the first two QB's are automatically out for the rest of the game?

If it's in the fourth quarter where Brees goes down, Flutie would come in as QB. If it's before the fourth quarter, it will be Rivers until they officially demote him to the third string QB.

OldManCharger
11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby

Isn't it a league rule that if the third string QB comes in before the fourth quarter, then the first two QB's are automatically out for the rest of the game?

If it's in the fourth quarter where Brees goes down, Flutie would come in as QB. If it's before the fourth quarter, it will be Rivers until they officially demote him to the third string QB.

I heard about that rule. What the hell is that all about....its the stupidest thing I ever heard of....someone please tell me why this makes sense to implement, anyone have the goods on this dumb rule and its intention???????

Maybe I am old school but this is absolute nonsense.

OMC

Chargers
11-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by: OldManCharger

I heard about that rule. What the hell is that all about....its the stupidest thing I ever heard of....someone please tell me why this makes sense to implement, anyone have the goods on this dumb rule and its intention???????

Maybe I am old school but this is absolute nonsense.

OMC

Your guess is just as good as mine. I've never heard of this rule.....whoever came up with this one deserves to be fired.

spysnipedis
11-30-2004, 08:25 PM
i would go with flutie because of the experience and Brees has shown to make a comeback after losing less than 5 minutes of the game left. I think the only time we would need Flutie is when Brees is having a bad day and we are down by a touchdown or two.

Rip
11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Why would we bother putting in Fruity? Isnt this why we have Rivers?

spysnipedis
11-30-2004, 08:40 PM
i wouldn't trust a rookie to go in if Brees got hurt in the middle of the game.

Rivers might be a great QB, but not now. Chargers are trying to make a playoff run and putting in an unproven rookie will only hurt the team because they don't know if he'll throw an INT or fumble. You just don't know.

Flutie = the greatest back-up ever.

Chargeroo
11-30-2004, 10:31 PM
The rule is that the third string QB can only play in the fourth quarter unless #1 and #2 are both hurt. However, it doesn't say that #3 automatically plays if it's the fourth quarter. If #2 is still available in the fourth quarter, he can and would play. I have to believe that if Brees goes down, Rivers comes in no matter what quarter it is. Why would they ever have moved him to #2 if they preferred to play Doug? Even Doug has had high praise for Rivers by the way.

Chargeroo
11-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis

Flutie = the greatest back-up ever. How long have you been watching the NFL? Flutie is not the greatest back-up ever. He's not even the best back-up this year. In fact, the Chargers brass has moved Rivers ahead of him - doesn't that make rivers a better back-up?

JoeMcRugby
11-30-2004, 10:44 PM
What the rule is about is that you can only have 45 active players on the roster for a Sunday game.

However, if you only have two QB's on the active roster, you can designate a 46th player as your third string "emergency" QB to prevent a situation like when Brian Mitchell had to play QB for the Skins against the Eagles on Monday night during the Buddy Ryan era.

The reasoning behind the ruling is to prevent teams from abusing the rule by "designating" a 46th player as the 3rd string QB and playing him like any other player.

Makes perfect sense. If you really want 3 QB's to be available to play at any time, then put 3 QB's on the active roster. Of course, that will kill you in the 99% of NFL games where the 3rd string QB doesn't set foot on the field, but what the hell? Why not burn a special team player's spot on the less than 1% chance that a 3rd string QB will be necessary.

The choice is clear: either Flutie can't play until the 4th quarter or demote Rivers to 3rd string behind the 41 year old Flutie. Actually, there's no choice to be made at all for anyone using their head.

spysnipedis
11-30-2004, 10:44 PM
no, Rivers hasn't played, well he hasn't really played yet

i think Flutie is the greatest back-up any team can have. He hasn't played much this year, but didnt you see him play any of the other years? Patriots wanted Flutie. i'm sure if the othe teams had a choice they would go with him too.

spysnipedis
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
What the rule is about is that you can only have 45 active players on the roster for a Sunday game.

However, if you only have two QB's on the active roster, you can designate a 46th player as your third string "emergency" QB to prevent a situation like when Brian Mitchell had to play QB for the Skins against the Eagles on Monday night during the Buddy Ryan era.

The reasoning behind the ruling is to prevent teams from abusing the rule by "designating" a 46th player as the 3rd string QB and playing him like any other player.

Makes perfect sense. If you really want 3 QB's to be available to play at any time, then put 3 QB's on the active roster.

The choice is clear: either Flutie can't play until the 4th quarter or demote Rivers to 3rd string behind the 41 year old Flutie. Actually, there's no choice to be made at all for anyone using their head.

dang i need to call marty about this one i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MoveitMister
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by: fiddis

Would you care to elaborate?
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MoveitMister
11-30-2004, 11:20 PM

i think Flutie is the greatest back-up any team can have. He hasn't played much this year, but didnt you see him play any of the other years? Patriots wanted Flutie. i'm sure if the othe teams had a choice they would go with him too.

Frank Reich was a great backup. Didn't toot his own horn. Kept his head in the game at all times. Did an admirable job when he was behind center.

Flutie isn't in Reich's league.

Flutie is a lead dog.
He's a starter.

Chargeroo
11-30-2004, 11:31 PM

i think Flutie is the greatest back-up any team can have. He hasn't played much this year, but didn't you see him play any of the other years? Patriots wanted Flutie. I'm sure if the other teams had a choice they would go with him too.
I saw Flutie play in College. I've been seeing him for years. He's a good back-up but to say he;s the best back-up ever indicates to me that you haven't seen a lot of back-ups. Doug's real value to the team now is as a mentor to Rivers. Haven't you noticed them side by side on the sidelines? He's discussing what he's seeing on the field, teaching Rivers the keys to look for, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think Doug can still play but I also think his skills aren't what they used to be. The coaching staff must have a reason they moved Philip in front of him, don't you think? I'm trusting they know more about both of these QB's than we do, since we don't get to see anyone but Brees play.

BreesLightning
11-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Are you guys kidding with this Flutie thing? Only way Flutie plays is if both drew and Rivers gets hurt. If we are down by 4 and drew gets hurt in the 4th, Rivers comes in, period.

JoeMcRugby
12-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by: MoveitMister

Frank Reich was a great backup. Didn't toot his own horn. Kept his head in the game at all times. Did an admirable job when he was behind center.

FYI (Although I'm sure Mr. Mister is well aware of the facts):

In his most well known NFL moment, as a backup QB (when Jim Kelly was injured), Frank Reich engineered the greatest comeback in NFL history for the Bills when they overcame a 35-3 deficit in the playoff game against the Oilers.

Lesser known fact: Reich led Maryland to the biggest comeback in NCAA Division I history when he brought back the Terps from a 31-0 deficit against the Jimmy Johnson coached / Bernie Kosar QBd / defending national champions Miami Hurricanes at the Orange Bowl 20 years ago.

The coach who must have given the biggest butt kicking in the history of college football during halftime that day? None other than Bobby Ross.

Long live Boss Ross!!! i/expressions/beer.gif

MoveitMister
12-01-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by: MoveitMister

FYI (Although I'm sure Mr. Mister is well aware of the facts):

In his most well known NFL moment, as a backup QB (when Jim Kelly was injured), Frank Reich engineered the greatest comeback in NFL history for the Bills when they overcame a 35-3 deficit in the playoff game against the Oilers.

Lesser known fact: Reich led Maryland to the biggest comeback in NCAA Division I history when he brought back the Terps from a 31-0 deficit against the Jimmy Johnson coached / Bernie Kosar QBd / defending national champions Miami Hurricanes at the Orange Bowl 20 years ago.

The coach who must have given the biggest butt kicking in the history of college football during halftime that day? None other than Bobby Ross.

Long live Boss Ross!!!

Grade: A

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

And Mr. Mister is aware of it too.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

OverVolt
12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Rivers is #2, end of story, if something happened to Brees, Rivers would come in.
The coaching staff has already made that decision.

Nothing will happen to Brees...keep the Karma positive...

WHITELIGHTNING
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Brees has showen a very good evade reflex this year, his wheel help beat the Cheaps, IMHO. I hope he doesn't go down with all the implications of each of these remaining game have on them. Sure I want to see Rivers play, but not at the expense of the Bolts team.

Thunderstruck
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
The only scenario in which I could envision the Bolts putting in Flutie rather than Rivers would be if Drew got injured and we needed just one short drive, very late in the game in a high-pressure situation, to win it...but we absolutely HAD to have it. It would be tough putting in Rivers in a situation like that.

OldManCharger
12-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: WHITELIGHTNING
Brees has showen a very good evade reflex this year, his wheel help beat the Cheaps, IMHO. I hope he doesn't go down with all the implications of each of these remaining game have on them. Sure I want to see Rivers play, but not at the expense of the Bolts team.

I would have to agree with you on that.....Imagine a Playoff game or a home-field advatage game...or perhaps a necessary win.....who do go with? The proven CLUTCH player in Flutie or roll the dice and Hope Rivers makes it happen......Flutie would appear to be the better choice if Brees gets injured in a big game.....but I do not watch Rivers practice and Flutie has been saying a lot of good things about River's development in practice....that means something in my opinion.

Who to go with would be a VERY difficult decision, wouldn't it?

OMC

OldManCharger
12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
i wouldn't trust a rookie to go in if Brees got hurt in the middle of the game.

Rivers might be a great QB, but not now. Chargers are trying to make a playoff run and putting in an unproven rookie will only hurt the team because they don't know if he'll throw an INT or fumble. You just don't know.

Flutie = the greatest back-up ever.

This is a good point.....look at the Giants throw their year away on Eli Manning, by benching a 2 time league MVP super bowl QB - Warner.....I mean that is the stupiest thing I have EVER EVER SEEN. They had a shot at the playoffs and they have lost two ARGUABLY winable games with Eli at the helm....and he has certainly done no better than Warner would have done......rookies are great if you have no other option like the Steelers...and its working great.....but the giants are idiots for going with Eli too soon.

If we are in a NEED to win game and Brees is out, we have to go with Flutie....even though I think he is NOT a fulltime answer.

OMC

fiddis
12-01-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm glad I started this whole thing. Made for interesting debate on both sides. With each week that goes by the stakes rise. Throwing Rivers into the fire cold seems to me the higher risk mainly because of what Flutie still can do and do well: Manage the clock, execute a game plan, checkoff properly against the blitz, command the team's respect and attention in the huddle, and use his quickness to still make a play or two in a key situation. This is not an ordinary 41 (or is it 2?) year old body. On 3rd and 11 with the blitz coming we need self-assured execution that comes with experience.

Keep Drew HEALTHY but to me prudence seems to demand...

Chargeroo
12-01-2004, 05:15 PM

If we are in a NEED to win game and Brees is out, we have to go with Flutie....even though I think he is NOT a fulltime answer.
OMC

So the fact that the coaching staff moved Rivers ahead of Flutie doesn't mean anything to you? Does this mean you know more about Quarterbacking than the coaching staff or does it mean you know more about Rivers than they do? I know that sounds sarcastic but it isn't meant that way, I simply mean to point out that it's likely they know more than any of us do.

It's likely we won't need to worry about this because our O-line has done a fine job of protecting Brees and Drew seems to be very durable.

Boltjolt
12-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Rivers is the backup and would come in.

Doesnt matter if you like the rule or not about the 3rd stringer...it is the rules just like the crappy new rules on the CB's.

spysnipedis
12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo

OMC

So the fact that the coaching staff moved Rivers ahead of Flutie doesn't mean anything to you? Does this mean you know more about Quarterbacking than the coaching staff or does it mean you know more about Rivers than they do? I know that sounds sarcastic but it isn't meant that way, I simply mean to point out that it's likely they know more than any of us do.

It's likely we won't need to worry about this because our O-line has done a fine job of protecting Brees and Drew seems to be very durable.

To me a number of string you are does not make a difference. What I am saying is that I would go with Flutie because of the experience. If you asked Marty he will tell you this, If we have a chance to win, then Flutie will go in. but thats basically only if Brees is having a Off day or gets injured. Yes Marty said that. But if the game is gone, then put Rivers in and let him get his plays. Thats why i said i would go with Flutie

JoeMcRugby
12-01-2004, 10:29 PM
It does make a difference when the NFL rules say that if the 3rd string QB goes in before the 4th quarter, you can't put the 1st and 2nd stringers in the game if #3 goes down.

Here's a scenario: The Bolts are playing for a playoff spot late in the season. Brees gets racked up and concussed at the end of the first quarter. Do you put in Rivers or Flutie?

If (as per your suggestion) Marty puts in Flutie, Flutie tweeks his knee and is knocked out of the game in the 3rd quarter, who plays QB? LT? Tim Dwight? I have no idea - do you?????????

Can you imagine the crucifixion of Marty if this plays out?

That's precisely why the promotion of Rivers to 2nd string is/was a big deal. Rivers takes the snaps that Brees doesn't during the week of practice.

If Brees goes down in a game no matter when it happens, you'll be seeing the loser Cryin' Ryan reincarnation no matter how much fans kick, scream and throw a fit.

spysnipedis
12-02-2004, 01:08 AM
It does make a difference when the NFL rules say that if the 3rd string QB goes in before the 4th quarter, you can't put the 1st and 2nd stringers in the game if #3 goes down.

Here's a scenario: The Bolts are playing for a playoff spot late in the season. Brees gets racked up and concussed at the end of the first quarter. Do you put in Rivers or Flutie?

If (as per your suggestion) Marty puts in Flutie, Flutie tweeks his knee and is knocked out of the game in the 3rd quarter, who plays QB? LT? Tim Dwight? I have no idea - do you?????????

Can you imagine the crucifixion of Marty if this plays out?

That's precisely why the promotion of Rivers to 2nd string is/was a big deal. Rivers takes the snaps that Brees doesn't during the week of practice.

If Brees goes down in a game no matter when it happens, you'll be seeing the loser Cryin' Ryan reincarnation no matter how much fans kick, scream and throw a fit.

And if Brees gets hurt and then Rivers gets hurt... Who will he put in???

JoeMcRugby
12-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by: spysnipedis And if Brees gets hurt and then Rivers gets hurt... Who will he put in???

Why Flutie, of course. That's why the NFL made the rule.

There is a 45 man active roster. The NFL makes an exception that a 46th player can participate in the game under certain restrictions.

The restrictions are that the 46th player is the designated 3rd string QB and that if he plays anytime before the 4th quarter, the first two QBs can't return.

Makes sense now? i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

CHARGERNATION
12-02-2004, 09:17 AM
We should get rid of Flutie and concentrate on Rivers when he is needed, ie: Brees get hurt, Flutie is a cool guy and good player, but is he really needed??? And how often has Brees been in a scramble and dodging a blitz?? Our "O" line is doing an awesome job and thank God everyone is healthy

JoeMcRugby
12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Flutie's biggest value this season is his being connected at the elbow with Rivers while Brees is on the field leading the Chargers to victory. I guarantee that his tutoring has been invaluable in the development of Rivers as an NFL QB.

Chargeroo
12-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by: CHARGERNATION
We should get rid of Flutie and concentrate on Rivers when he is needed, ie: Brees get hurt, Flutie is a cool guy and good player, but is he really needed??? And how often has Brees been in a scramble and dodging a blitz?? Our "O" line is doing an awesome job and thank God everyone is healthy
I disagree. I think Doug is a very valuable member of the team. He's an experienced QB that is willing and able to pass along his experience to our young QB's. Also, he's a well liked member of the team, a guy the rest of the team thinks well of. In addition, he can still go in and provide some quality time for us at the QB position in case of injuries to the young guys. I think they should try to keep him around for next year too, if he's willing.

OldManCharger
12-02-2004, 01:20 PM

OMC

With all due respect, I never once claimed to know more than the coaching staff....in fact I even stated that I conceded the fact that I do not watch the Bolts practice....so in fact I was just opening discussion on a topic that someone else started.....but having said that, who would be better suited to win a clutch game or a come back win if we are in a playoff hunt....Flutie or Rivers.....seriously......do you think a Rookie would be a better call.....how about Eli and the Giants....they tanked their season with that very logic. The rookie decision was the worst mistake that the Giants could have gone with when they were still inthe hunt for the playoffs.

So, I admit I am not an NFL coach but I played University ball as a starting Fullback for 4 years, so I do have some valuable insight to offer, regardless of the fact that I might be employed as a journalist....LOL

OMC

JoeMcRugby
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Here's the scoop from NFL's Senior Director of Officiating Jerry Seeman regarding the 3rd string QB rule:

__________________________________________________ ________________

Bob, Staten Island NY: Is there a rule on what order QBs can be put in the game? (1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string?)

Jerry Seeman: No order, <u>unless</u> the third quarterback is the deactivated quarterback, i.e., the 46th player. <u>If he enters the game in the first three quarters, neither of the other two quarterbacks can return to the game</u>. If the deactivated quarterback <u>enters in the fourth quarter, or overtime, the other two quarterbacks can return</u>.

http://ww2.nfl.com/fans/rulesschool000929.html
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Chargeroo
12-02-2004, 06:00 PM

OMC
With all due respect, I never once claimed to know more than the coaching staff....in fact I even stated that I conceded the fact that I do not watch the Bolts practice....so in fact I was just opening discussion on a topic that someone else started.....but having said that, who would be better suited to win a clutch game or a come back win if we are in a playoff hunt....Flutie or Rivers.....seriously......do you think a Rookie would be a better call.....how about Eli and the Giants....they tanked their season with that very logic. The rookie decision was the worst mistake that the Giants could have gone with when they were still inthe hunt for the playoffs.
So, I admit I am not an NFL coach but I played University ball as a starting Fullback for 4 years, so I do have some valuable insight to offer, regardless of the fact that I might be employed as a journalist....LOL
OMC[/quote]
I played this game myself but it was so long ago that I'm sure my experience is really useless now. The game has changed so much since I played that only the blocking and the tackling seem to remain from those days. I fear that my response to you sounded like a put down and I didn't mean it that way. I guess I just feel like I trust this coaching staff to know what they're doing. It's hard for an old guy like me to argue against them when they are rolling up one win after the other. My basic instinct would be like yours, we're fighting for the Division title, play the veteran. However, we do know that Philip has a lot bigger arm and a real quick release. The coaching staff should know how fast he's developing into a NFL player. By moving him to number two, i assumed it means he's ready to step in and do the job. Seems right to me.

spysnipedis
12-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Here's the scoop from NFL's Senior Director of Officiating Jerry Seeman regarding the 3rd string QB rule:

__________________________________________________ ________________

Bob, Staten Island NY: Is there a rule on what order QBs can be put in the game? (1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string?)

Jerry Seeman: No order, <u>unless</u> the third quarterback is the deactivated quarterback, i.e., the 46th player. <u>If he enters the game in the first three quarters, neither of the other two quarterbacks can return to the game</u>. If the deactivated quarterback <u>enters in the fourth quarter, or overtime, the other two quarterbacks can return</u>.

http://ww2.nfl.com/fans/rulesschool000929.html
(http://ww2.nfl.com/fans/rulesschool000929.html
">"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href=)
</a>
__________________________________________________ ______________________

so if there is no order, they can make the desicion to put in a 3rd string instead of the 2nd string like
Flutie instead of Rivers

man its confusing they should just remove it

JoeMcRugby
12-02-2004, 06:48 PM
If they remove it, then you've got to remove a special teams player from the active roster. The active roster is 45 players. Flutie is the 46th guy. You'd be happier with the rule removed and Flutie not being able to play at all?

The rule in effect prevents you from inserting the emergency QB into the game if the starter goes down in the first 3 quarters. As I posed earlier, if Brees gets concussed during the first 3 quarters, then Flutie comes in and gets knocked out, Rivers can't enter the game no matter how long it goes on. So who will be the QB? LT? Dwight? I haven't a clue.

What it tells us is that Rivers comes in if Brees goes down early in the game. The Chargers have no other realistic choice. It would be interesting to see what Marty would do if Brees went down in the 4th quarter, but I don't want to find out that answer. My sense is that it would be Rivers. There's a reason that they moved him up to second string.

fiddis
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
If memory serves me right when he was moved to second string the Chargers looked to be going nowhere, thus elevating him to second string seemed the right choice. Now we find ourselves in the playoff hunt with every snap important. What might it do to his young development if he were to come in overmatched, not recognize something and get creamed.

Keep Drew healthy BUT move Doug to number two...

Chargeroo
12-02-2004, 08:16 PM
If memory serves me right when he was moved to second string the Chargers looked to be going nowhere, thus elevating him to second string seemed the right choice. Now we find ourselves in the playoff hunt with every snap important. What might it do to his young development if he were to come in overmatched, not recognize something and get creamed.
Keep Drew healthy BUT move Doug to number two... I must admit that when PR was moved to number two I thought it was because they were expecting Drew to go down the tubes and thought it smart to give Philip the experience for his development. When you think of it that way, they may still switch them because the circumstance certainly has changed. On the other hand, Rivers was far ahead of where most QB's are when he came out of college because, unlike most others, he had started for all four years. Considering that, it's not difficult to leap to the conclusion that what he's been l;earning in practice has helped him get ready. Certainly he'd be stepping into a good situation here with the improved pass blocking and the much better receiving core than we had a year ago.

It's an interesting thing to think about - good topic even though your first post was awful wordy! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

spysnipedis
12-02-2004, 09:42 PM
If they remove it, then you've got to remove a special teams player from the active roster. The active roster is 45 players. Flutie is the 46th guy. You'd be happier with the rule removed and Flutie not being able to play at all?

The rule in effect prevents you from inserting the emergency QB into the game if the starter goes down in the first 3 quarters. As I posed earlier, if Brees gets concussed during the first 3 quarters, then Flutie comes in and gets knocked out, Rivers can't enter the game no matter how long it goes on. So who will be the QB? LT? Dwight? I haven't a clue.

What it tells us is that Rivers comes in if Brees goes down early in the game. The Chargers have no other realistic choice. It would be interesting to see what Marty would do if Brees went down in the 4th quarter, but I don't want to find out that answer. My sense is that it would be Rivers. There's a reason that they moved him up to second string.

then 50 players can play i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

i hate rules like this one, its pretty much useless

fiddis
12-03-2004, 04:50 AM

Keep Drew healthy BUT move Doug to number two... I must admit that when PR was moved to number two I thought it was because they were expecting Drew to go down the tubes and thought it smart to give Philip the experience for his development. When you think of it that way, they may still switch them because the circumstance certainly has changed. On the other hand, Rivers was far ahead of where most QB's are when he came out of college because, unlike most others, he had started for all four years. Considering that, it's not difficult to leap to the conclusion that what he's been l;earning in practice has helped him get ready. Certainly he'd be stepping into a good situation here with the improved pass blocking and the much better receiving core than we had a year ago.

It's an interesting thing to think about - good topic even though your first post was awful wordy!

kingporterblood
12-03-2004, 06:31 AM
I think Rivers will do fine

ziggyp22
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Flutie should be, at the very least, number 2 on the Chargers! We will see Flutie again this year on the field.......guaranteed.

OldManCharger
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by: ziggyp22
Flutie should be, at the very least, number 2 on the Chargers! We will see Flutie again this year on the field.......guaranteed.

I certainly hope not, the only way that happens is if there is an injury to Brees and that is not good for the team, stop hoping or wishing for a disaster. Jesus H-christ

OMC

xSHERVx
12-07-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm not a chargers fan but i know of flutie from his time as a Bill to a charger back up. He's good at times but pretty inconsistant. And his scrambling ability definitely isn't what it used to. He does have experience over and unproven rivers, but i certainly wouldn't call him a savor. Flutie is to the chargers as Fiedler is to the Dolphins

OldManCharger
12-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by: xSHERVx
I'm not a chargers fan but i know of flutie from his time as a Bill to a charger back up. He's good at times but pretty inconsistant. And his scrambling ability definitely isn't what it used to. He does have experience over and unproven rivers, but i certainly wouldn't call him a savor. Flutie is to the chargers as Fiedler is to the Dolphins

GOD FORBID, if Brees gets injured.....I am knocking on wood as I type....tough to do simultaneously......but that would be the only way Flutie comes in, and this is assuming that we do not have a playoff game locked or a home field game possibility......otherwise they (SD Coaches) will give ALL meaningles time to Rivers.

ONLY If we get desparate for a win (unlikely but my fingers crossed and rabbits foot is a shaking...LOL) then I could see Shotty thinking about a clutch win by the wiley vet Flutie, but his career is over......been good and I think the guy is great but Brees is our man this year and Rivers is the future, maybe Brees has another if the Franchise him for one year, but the money is the big factor.

OMC