PDA

View Full Version : Projected #1 Pick next year


Tomlinson21
12-08-2004, 12:31 PM
I think next year's draft should be focused on the Secondary and getting a big time hitter in a Safety to pair up with Kiel. Although Wilson is doing a phenomenal job I think drafting a Roy Williams or a Rodney Harrison safety in next years draft would boost this defense's pass defense.

What do you guys think?

BlueandGoldRush
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
While I definitely agree that we should look for a safety somewhere in the first two rounds, I don't think the secondary should be our #1 focus.

I would like to see a first round pick used on defensive line, opposite Igor. Our secondary would look much better if we had a pass rush like the steelers. Offensive line should be a priority too.

JoeMcRugby
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
O-line/D-line and a big-sized big play WR should be the focus at the top of the draft. Having a safety rated high enough to draft in the first round is rare. I haven't seen one rated that high for the 2005 draft.

BTW Rodney was a 6th round pick, I believe.

Boltaction19
12-08-2004, 01:50 PM
why i wanted Troy palamalu (sp?).

Tomlinson21
12-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by: BlueandGoldCrush
While I definitely agree that we should look for a safety somewhere in the first two rounds, I don't think the secondary should be our #1 focus.



I would like to see a first round pick used on defensive line, opposite Igor. Our secondary would look much better if we had a pass rush like the steelers. Offensive line should be a priority too.

Does a kid names Shaum Phillips ring a bell... This guy could play defensive end and linebacker. He reminds me of the "Freak" over in Philly.

Rip
12-09-2004, 05:29 AM
If there was a Safety in Roy Williams/Sean Taylor's class, i would be all for it, and i think there is one in Thomas Davis, 6-1 230lbs and runs a 4.5

I think if we wait til the 2nd round, we could still get a very good Safety like Earnest Shazor or Darrell Bing. There actually 5 or 6 safeties that could go in the late first-second round.

I think we need to select the best available player regardless of position (except RB and QB) with the giants pick and then a DE (if we didnt take one earlier), WR or OT with the second #1


Am i the only one who thinks our LB core is set for a LONG time? I mean look at our starters, all of them are pretty good, and if Leber is the worst starter, i think that says alot for how good the rest of the guys are. Even thought some of our starters are getting up there in years, we have some GREAT young players that are going to be fine when they become starters. The only way i would draft an LB is if Derrick Johnson somehow slipped to us with the giants pick or if Kirk Morrison slipped to the end of the the second

I just dont think it is a need at all, just look at the it closely

OLB - Steve Foley - Probably our best LB this year, the guy is a monster
MLB - Randell Godfrey - Has played better then i thought he would and seems to have become a leader on defense
MLB - Donnie Edwards - What more can we say about the most underrated LB in the NFL?
OLB - Ben Leber - Young and still learning, but i think he will be great in the future in this scheme

The we even have the replacements in place for the most part

OLB - Shaun Phillips - There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a star, The second he was drafted, i told some friends of mine that he was the best pick we made all year, and i think ill be right about that
MLB - Steven Cooper - I love watching him play, he just always seems to be around the play every single time, and in the preseason, he was the guy making ALL the plays for our defense
MLB - Matt Wilhelm - I still have really high hopes for him and think he could be a very solid starter. I remember him back at OSU, i couldnt believe we were able to get in the 4th, but i think he will get better and in a year or two could be a nice starter
OLB - Ben Leber

Not bad if you ask me, Morrison would be an upgrade over wilhelm, but if we dont get him, i have faith in wilhelm.
Plus if we were to get D. Johnson, i think Leber would move inside, i think he would actually make a better MLB then OLB. He has the size for it, and more then enough speed.

ratchit21
12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I think they will take a safety with one of their first 3 picks. Shazor would be a great pick up if we could get him with our 2nd rounder. If not, Nicholson from Oklahoma or Bing from SC would be nice too. They all have great size and speed, and are aggressive big hitters. That would be the final piece to making one of the best young secondarys in the NFL.

SanDiegoRon
12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I like your analysis on the LB's Rip... I'm guessing it's a position that AJ can take a flyer on, in the later rounds, by filling with a "tweener" DE - like DeMarcus Ware...

Chargeroo
12-09-2004, 02:55 PM
I look at this team and I think we do not have an immediate need like we had in recent years. That makes me think we may be able to finally afford to take the best player thats still on the board regardless of position. I know we still have a need at OT and we could use a better back-up for Jamal Williams, but in both cases, we're talking about a guy that we wouldn't need to start right away. This may be the year they grab a WR in the first round because they can let him learn while McCardell, Parker, and Caldwell get most of the playing time. WR's often need a couple of years in the NFL before they start to produce.

StaggeringSwede
12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
DL Haloti Ngata...6'4"/345/alleged 4.85...How can we turn those numbers down. By next year he should be fully recovered from last year's leg injury which slowed him this year. He was Oregon's best DLman as a freshman. He played alongside some guy named IGOR. If he doesn't come out then I would trade down and grab Shaun Cody.

WR Vince Jackson from Northern Colorado. 6'5"/235/4.45...Did anyone happen to catch Kiper's spot on ESPN yesterday? They showed a brief clip of this guy. I liked what I saw. He's jumped to 2nd round status. My gut tells me (more beer! more beer!) that after the allstar games and combine, he moves into round 1 as the 4th rated WR. Seriously, after Clayton there just isn't any WR worth a #1. Methinks Jackson's the guy.

Georgia's FS Thomas Davis is rated high enough for our 1st pick if he comes out. But I can't let these 2 guys get away, and I think we can get a solid FS prospect in the 2nd.

guimcharger
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
I thought of replacing Wilson because he wasn't making plays, but apparently he can after that INT in the donkey game. Wade Phillips also has him call the protection schemes for the secondary.

Chargeroo
12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
I loved Haloti Ngata as a Freshman but he sure didn't have the explosion this year that he used to have. Drafting him high could turn out to be a if his explosion off the ball never returns. He's not even the best down lineman on the Ducks this year. If the injury heals completely though, he'll be a tremendous player in the NFL. At this point, I think he's a gamble. Chris Solomona (6'5''/288) and Devan Long (6'4''/265) both out-played Ngata this year.

Semperfidelis48
12-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by: StaggeringSwede
DL Haloti Ngata...6'4"/345/alleged 4.85...How can we turn those numbers down. By next year he should be fully recovered from last year's leg injury which slowed him this year. He was Oregon's best DLman as a freshman. He played alongside some guy named IGOR. If he doesn't come out then I would trade down and grab Shaun Cody.

WR Vince Jackson from Northern Colorado. 6'5"/235/4.45...Did anyone happen to catch Kiper's spot on ESPN yesterday? They showed a brief clip of this guy. I liked what I saw. He's jumped to 2nd round status. My gut tells me (more beer! more beer!) that after the allstar games and combine, he moves into round 1 as the 4th rated WR. Seriously, after Clayton there just isn't any WR worth a #1. Methinks Jackson's the guy.

Georgia's FS Thomas Davis is rated high enough for our 1st pick if he comes out. But I can't let these 2 guys get away, and I think we can get a solid FS prospect in the 2nd.

Semperfidelis48
12-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Good post. I haven't heard much about Ngata but he sounds decent. I did catch Kiper's clip on sportscenter and I also really like this Jackson guy. He's no Braylon Edwards but he's got good size and good hands. I think he could be a great second round pick if Edwards doesn't drop to us. I also really like Thomas Davis. He's a great and versatile player. Could play linebacker or saftey. Obviously Jackson and Davis aren't first round picks, but they could really help us out if we could get them in the second or maybe even third rounds.

Semperfidelis48
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Oooppps I forgot. Jackson is a former basketball player and we've seem to have some good luck with a certain former basketball player this year.

geekster
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
I look at this team and I think we do not have an immediate need like we had in recent years. That makes me think we may be able to finally afford to take the best player thats still on the board regardless of position. I know we still have a need at OT and we could use a better back-up for Jamal Williams, but in both cases, we're talking about a guy that we wouldn't need to start right away. This may be the year they grab a WR in the first round because they can let him learn while McCardell, Parker, and Caldwell get most of the playing time. WR's often need a couple of years in the NFL before they start to produce.

Nails post Roo... We need to grab our WR in the 1st round... There are also a couple of REAL playmakers at Defensive End that we could tap into later on with our own 1st round pick..

This draft should be fairly deep in linesmen on both sides of the ball - similar to last year - so I'd like to see us take another Safety and that Huge Nose Guard to eventually back up Jamal later on... (2nd/3rd round)..

Semperfidelis48
12-10-2004, 07:58 PM
I completely agree with you geekster. WR and DE are what I want us to get in the first round. Hopefully Edwards because we already have to small fast guys in Parker and Caldwell so I don't think Clayton is the best fit. I'm also hoping we grab either David Pollack or Marcus Spears with our second first round pick.

nEoQuIcKsiLvEr
01-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing although there isn't a certain #1 Safety out there. What they definitely need is a physical safety (Another Rodney Harrison type) or a over the top cover one (Darren Sharper/Ed Reed). SS or FS, Jerry wilson isn't cutting it in my books neither is Terrence Kiel. If that happens our Defense would be perfect. We have a pass rush, a rush defense, and then a long pass defense

Semperfidelis48
01-01-2005, 02:05 PM
It's actually 2005 now neoquicksilver. Sorry to burst ur bubble.

ibhondo
01-02-2005, 12:42 AM
What about David Ball as our DE for next year. I thought this guy was
looking like a steal after we drafted him in the 5th round. He's going
to bulk up this off-season and I really don't see too much in this draft
that wows me with selecting a DE in the first two rounds. We need
a DT backing up Jamal because if Jamal were to go down we cannot
do it with Fisk. I think for WR Caldwell was having a fine year before
his injury in the Atlanta game. I don't see us in real need of a WR
for next year at least not in the first two rounds. And finally, since AJ Smith
is such an astute evaluator of talent (based on the last two drafts) we
should trade the giants pick and move back in the draft. If we could pick
up an additional 2nd and 3rd round draft pick we could really add solid
backups and potential future starters. Remember, we traded our 3, 5, and 6
picks in trades for McCardell and Oben.
Ibhondo

Thunderstruck
01-02-2005, 01:03 AM
The problem I'm having with forming my Draft Day wish list is that I'm seeing a lot of guys slotting all over the board. Take Dan Cody from Oklahoma, for example. I've seen him slotted anywhere from 5th to 28th. So do you take him with a top-10 pick if he's there, or will he fall to you in the latter part of the first round? I've seen Mike Williams projected anywhere from first, to 17th. Braylon Edwards is slotted anywhere from 4th to 14th.

I think that even after the combine, this year's draft board is going to be all over the place. The guys I've seen that I really like, Mark Clayton, Chris Canty, Shaun Cody, and Marcus Spears, are not slotted as top-15 picks on most mocks I've seen...so is this a year to trade-down for multiple picks? I'm not sure.

I want to have a chance to see some more action and see how the combine effects the draft-day slotting.

crazyman33
01-02-2005, 12:58 PM
ive only seen thomas davis out of georgia play once and that was yesterday. But if u want a hard hitter the guy weighs more than a lot of linebackers. Hes like a less athletic version of sean taylor

IgorUnchained
01-16-2005, 05:49 AM
This Post is old, but I can say that I Rip would probably second the Thomas Davis idea, and I would second Rips second...

supachargers
01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
After seeing Rodney dominate and get into peoples faces against the colts today, I feel the chargers really need an intimidating presence in the secondary. Dwight Smith, a friend of Gates, would work out just fine because he is a leader and will also knock your head off. If that doesn't work out, we need to draft Thomas Davis because he is the second coming of Rodney Harrison.

crazyman33
01-16-2005, 08:38 PM
After seeing Rodney dominate and get into peoples faces against the colts today, I feel the chargers really need an intimidating presence in the secondary. Dwight Smith, a friend of Gates, would work out just fine because he is a leader and will also knock your head off. If that doesn't work out, we need to draft Thomas Davis because he is the second coming of Rodney Harrison.

good call. i want dwight smith. thomas dav is would be nice but a lot of mocks ive seen have him going to the lions

compubolt
01-17-2005, 08:18 AM
grab either Carlos Rogers or rolle and convert either one of them to S or move D-flo/Jammer to FS. We can't really use a slower SS like davis or even shazor may be a liability, they need to be able to cover, we really have 2 FS with one that will support the run (Kiel) and another that takes bad angles, gets beat deep and is slow (wilson)

My pick, Rogers, I have seen him play a few times, he is very good, you draft him with 1a, a DE or OC/OG with 2b and then try to grab a Parrish (miami) with the second, we need another second rounder though, so maybe we will see 1a trade down a few spots. Who knows, but we need

1. S/CB we need to upgrade wilson, either convert a CB, grab a free agent FS or grab a SS and move kiel to FS
2. DT/DE - Larger D - End, not a pass rush specialist
3. WR - A very fast, kick returner to replace dwight
4. LB - we need to get 2 more heads to replace moreno and polk leaving.
5. OG/OC - we need QUALITY depth in the O-line, loosing hardwick showed that.

phicart
02-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by: compubolt
grab either Carlos Rogers or rolle and convert either one of them to S or move D-flo/Jammer to FS. We can't really use a slower SS like davis or even shazor may be a liability, they need to be able to cover, we really have 2 FS with one that will support the run (Kiel) and another that takes bad angles, gets beat deep and is slow (wilson)

My pick, Rogers, I have seen him play a few times, he is very good, you draft him with 1a, a DE or OC/OG with 2b and then try to grab a Parrish (miami) with the second, we need another second rounder though, so maybe we will see 1a trade down a few spots. Who knows, but we need

1. S/CB we need to upgrade wilson, either convert a CB, grab a free agent FS or grab a SS and move kiel to FS
2. DT/DE - Larger D - End, not a pass rush specialist
3. WR - A very fast, kick returner to replace dwight
4. LB - we need to get 2 more heads to replace moreno and polk leaving.
5. OG/OC - we need QUALITY depth in the O-line, loosing hardwick showed that.

Doesn't make sense to make all those changes to the defensive backfield...be like having a whole bunch of rookies back there. Rogers and Rolle are born CB's and are projected to go before we can even get to them. Even if one of them slips to us, why bother? We need to replace Wilson...period. Kiel did OK at SS, but had better stats at his normal positon, FS. Put him back where he belongs and take Shazor at 28. He'll be there then and we still have our 12. Shazor (6'4 - 230 and a 4.45/40) will prove to be a far better SS than Kiel and Kiel will go back to being a much better FS than SS.

broncossuck7
02-16-2005, 07:21 PM
im also intrested in a pass rush. Our pass defense as well.

phicart
02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by: broncossuck7
im also intrested in a pass rush. Our pass defense as well.

Don't think anyone will disagree with that...it's just about the right fit with choices we have...that's where the disagreement is. Especially if you toss in the mix the need for a deep threat reciever to take some pressure off Gates and McCardell. Going back up to what Thunderstruck said on January 2..."The problem I'm having with forming my Draft Day wish list is that I'm seeing a lot of guys slotting all over the board." He's right, 'cause everybody's in the same old boat...got needs, but won't know the best choice to fill them until the clock starts. We should get a bit closer, though, next week.

LTfan4life
03-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
O-line/D-line and a big-sized big play WR should be the focus at the top of the draft. Having a safety rated high enough to draft in the first round is rare. I haven't seen one rated that high for the 2005 draft.



BTW Rodney was a 6th round pick, I believe.



Rodney was a 4th rounder out of Western Illinois.