PDA

View Full Version : Good News for Those Who Want Brees & Rivers to Return

JoeMcRugby
01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Golden Bears' Rodgers takes golden arm to NFL
Jan. 3, 2005
SportsLine.com wire reports

BERKELEY, Calif. -- California quarterback Aaron Rodgers will skip his senior season to enter the NFL Draft, capping his impressive two-year transformation from a junior college star to a top pro prospect.

"I just feel like it's too big of an opportunity to pass up," Rodgers said Monday. "I'm looking forward to competing with the other quarterbacks for a chance to make an NFL team, and I'm fulfilling a childhood dream."

Under the tutelage of coach Jeff Tedford, Rodgers showed the talent and skill of a future NFL star in just two years with the Golden Bears, whose season ended last week with a 45-31 loss to Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl.

Rodgers passed for 2,566 yards and 24 touchdowns this season, his only full year as Cal's starter. He is seventh on Cal's career passing list with 5,469 yards.

Tedford supported Rodgers' decision, particularly after consulting with several experts and former players who believe Rodgers could be the first quarterback taken in April, probably going high in the first round.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8064031
__________________________________________________ __________________

If Leinart also declares himself eligible for the draft (as I fully expect), that's two QBs who will be taken high in the draft by QB desparate teams.

Makes it all the more likely that nobody is going to pony up a huge deal for Brees in the offseason and that Brees will be back with the Chargers in 2005 (most likely under the franchise tag).

HeadTrip
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Not seeing how this relates to drew or PR.

JoeMcRugby
01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby If Leinart also declares himself eligible for the draft (as I fully expect), that's two QBs who will be taken high in the draft by QB desparate teams.

Makes it all the more likely that nobody is going to pony up a huge deal for Brees in the offseason and that Brees will be back with the Chargers in 2005 (most likely under the franchise tag).

It has been previously postulated by others that the only way a desparate team can acquire a QB in 2005 is to trade for Brees (or Rivers) due to the lack of solid QBs in the draft.

Rodgers' declaration makes it more likely that a desparate team will draft Rodgers and/or Leinart (if the declares himself) that Brees will not be tagged and traded.

Boltjolt
01-03-2005, 11:40 PM
So.

Dallas or Green Bay wouldnt get those guys anyways.

If we are going to keep Brees, then fine but i dont think this does anything to change that either way.

JoeMcRugby
01-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by: Boltjolt
So.

Dallas or Green Bay wouldnt get those guys anyways.

Does SF need a QB? How about the Browns? The Skins? The Cards? The Fins? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

xmykecalx
01-04-2005, 06:13 PM
it also may bump good players down in regards to draft position making them available when the chargers are on the clock.