PDA

View Full Version : National Championship - OK. vs. USC


marconi
01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Tonights game is full of top prospects that could benefit our Chargers. Two of my favorites are USC's Saftey Darnell Bing , a draft eligible soph. and OK linebacker Lance MItchell.

Here is a list of who to watch courtesy of Great Blue North:


The preliminaries are over, and its time to get it on in the game that, for all intents and purposes is the only one that matters when Oklahoma and Southern Cal meet in tonight's Orange Bowl for the BCS title. And just for good measure, both the Trojans and Sooners probably have more potential talent for the 2005 draft than any of the other 116 Division 1-A programs in the country.

The headliners tonight, of course, are the two QBs, Southern Cal junior Matt Leinart (#11, 6-5, 220) and Jason White (#18, 6-2, 220) of Oklahoma, the past two Heisman Trophy winners. In terms of draft prospects, however, their stories diverge. On the one hand, Leinart looks like he is already pencilled in as a likely top pick overall at next April's draft if he opts to leave school early. White, on the other hand, likely won't be a real high pick because of concerns about the injuries and arm strength. White, in fact, overcame two serious knee injuries earlier in his career, but was still able to re-establish himself as one of college football's most productive QBs.

While QB Leinart is Southern Cal's leader, he still has to share the USC spotlight with sophomore RB Reggie Bush (#5, 5-10, 190) an electrifying back who is also a threat catching passes out of the backfield or returning kicks; the NFL won't get a shot at Bush, though, until 2006. While the offense gets the headlines, the USC defense is almost as good, particularly with DT Shaun Cody (#84, 6-4, 285), a very quick, albeit slightly undersized DT, anchoring the unit. Cody lines up next to DT Mike Patterson (#99, 6-0, 285), who is also undersized, but is another high-energy type with terrific upfield quickness. Then there is star OLB Matt Grootegard (#6, 5-11, 215), a defensive big-play waiting to happen, although he's a tad small on the small side even for a SS. Pro scouts will also take a peek at junior LB Lofa Tatupu (#58, 6-0, 225) if he plays this weekend as he's another junior LB who will draw plenty of interest if he opts to leave school early this winter. So will draft-eligible sophomore SS Darnell Bing (#20, 6-2, 220), the latest in a long line of terrific USC safeties.

If pro scouts aren't sold on Sooner QB White's potential on Sundays, they can't wait to hold of WR Mark Clayton (#9, 5-11, 190). Clayton isn't overly big, but is incredibly quick, has great hands and is at his best running with the ball after the catch; he'll be a top 15-20 pick this year. Clayton, though, is only one of several Sooner receivers who are likely to be drafted this year. Indeed, fellow receivers Mark Bradley (#1, 6-1, 190) and Brandon Jones (#81, 6-3, 210), both of whom can run, are making their own moves up draft boards around the NFL. Meanwhile, the offensive line features OT Jammal Brown (#55, 6-6, 310) and C Vince Carter (#50, 6-3, 295), both of whom rate among the very best players in the country at their respective positions. While the Sooners' offense tends to get the headlines, the defense may be even deeper and more talented. Up front, DE Dan Cody (80, 6-5, 260), who combines speed and strength with an array of pass-rush moves, particularly intrigues pro scouts, while tweener DE Jonathan Jackson (#49, 6-3, 240) and DT Lynn McGruder (#96, 6-3, 300) provide support. Pro scouts will also be keeping a close eye on MLB Lance Mitchell (#10, 6-2, 245) who appeared to be well on his way to a high selection in 2004, but tore a knee early last season and was granted an extra year of eligibility. Mitchell has played well this season, but still may not be at the level he showed in 2002. Meanwhile, the secondary features perhaps college football's top 1-2 punch at safety in SS Donte Nicholson (#8, 6-2, 210), one of the hardest hitters in the nation, and junior FS Brodney Pool (#23, 6-2, 200) who may be an even

Huskerboy
01-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Great player rundown Marconi...............

Okie sucks>>> Look at the halftime score

It looks like men against boys.

Stoops is finally showing how simple his schemes are...

Okie is really Pokie

andrew1218
01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

drangus
01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Jammal Brown looks really good although his team is getting killed I think the chargers can reach this guy at 12.

Dan40
01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by: andrew1218
did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

Dumb move, ABC. Ashlee Simpson? Kelly Clarkson?

There are tens of thousands of COLLEGE students in the stadium tonight. What kind of music do you normally associate with COLLEGE students?

Didn't surprise me that there were more boos than cheers and plenty of "You suck"s.

Thunderstruck
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
This may be the worst Championship game I've ever seen. Only one team showed up to play.

Dan40
01-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
This may be the worst Championship game I've ever seen. Only one team showed up to play.


If the NCAA would ever llisten to reason, this might have been the worst "semifinal playoff game" we've ever seen.

TemeculaMike
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
I knew USC would win, but I have stopped watching the slaughter in Florida. Wow, the Sooners are not even in the same league as USC.

While every team is capable of "not showing up" (i.e. Cal and UCLA). The Sooners are just simply out classed in every respect. This is sad.

Based on what I am seeing, Cal would have beat these bums.

JoeMcRugby
01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by: Dan40

Originally posted by: Thunderstruck

This may be the worst Championship game I've ever seen. Only one team showed up to play.

If the NCAA would ever llisten to reason, this might have been the worst "semifinal playoff game" we've ever seen.

This wouldn't have been a semi-final.

Auburn would have played Oklahoma. And Auburn might not have gotten by Oklahoma

And we didn't even see another "semi-finalist" in the Sugar Bowl. Utah, Texas, Michigan and Cal were all more worthy "semi-finalists" than Va. Tech.

botlkid8
01-04-2005, 10:14 PM
i picked USC and a line of 60. Just won 98 bucks.

Hamburglar
01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by: botlkid8
i picked USC and a line of 60. Just won 98 bucks.

can i have 1 buck so i can buy a burger i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MoveitMister
01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
55-19

That was a whoopin!

pgorsy
01-05-2005, 02:34 AM
My favorite part was watching Craig James eat crow in the after-game show. While watching the Holiday Bowl I remember him saying USC did not deserve to play in the National Championship game. What an absurd statement. Here you have a co-national champ, who backed that up with an undefeated season, and that doesn't earn them a spot in the BCS Championship? Had Auburn won the championship last year and backed that up with an undefeated season, I would be in their corner. The fact is, just last year USC punked Auburn in their own crib. What criteria James uses to formulate his takes, God only knows. Of course Greise and Nessler were both Oklahoma homers at the start of this game as well. Nessler made the statement tonight, "Of course, we HAVEN"T SEEN USC all season." Isn't that a statement for East Coast bias in the very first place, that ABC's number one broadcast team hadn't even covered a Trojan game all season? Just had to get that off my chest.

Thunderstruck
01-05-2005, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by: pgorsy
My favorite part was watching Craig James eat crow in the after-game show. While watching the Holiday Bowl I remember him saying USC did not deserve to play in the National Championship game. What an absurd statement. Here you have a co-national champ, who backed that up with an undefeated season, and that doesn't earn them a spot in the BCS Championship? Had Auburn won the championship last year and backed that up with an undefeated season, I would be in their corner. The fact is, just last year USC punked Auburn in their own crib. What criteria James uses to formulate his takes, God only knows. Of course Greise and Nessler were both Oklahoma homers at the start of this game as well. Nessler made the statement tonight, "Of course, we HAVEN"T SEEN USC all season." Isn't that a statement for East Coast bias in the very first place, that ABC's number one broadcast team hadn't even covered a Trojan game all season? Just had to get that off my chest.


If "School A" is one or more miles further east than "School B," then "School A" is automatically better at football (and every other sport.) Didn't you know that?

rrogers
01-05-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by: andrew1218
did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

I haven't heard that many boos in a long time.

IgorUnchained
01-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Grootegard and Tatupu should be made Chargers if and when the opportunity is there ( especially if they will be the steal that I think they could be if they go this year) and Cody wouldnt be a bad pick up at all....I watched the game with the intention of finding a few prospects and that is what I came up with.

And Yes- Ashlee Simpson is horrible
We live in a Paris Hilton culture where being famous comes from your last name and not your talent. Does anyone here know a Jessica Simpson song? Very few Im sure...so why does the public now have to put up with her little sister who isnt even as cute and has even less talent? She got caught lip syncing, I am old enough to remember Milli Vanilli...back then they didnt get alot of jobs after they were found to be frauds.
Off topic -- but that stuff really upsets me

spysnipedis
01-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by: rrogers

Originally posted by: andrew1218

did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE



I haven't heard that many boos in a long time.

i want to see a interview about her half-time show and the media asking her why they boo her. LOL

Gadzooks
01-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by: andrew1218
did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

She's an artist. Show some repecti/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

spysnipedis
01-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by: Gadzooks

Originally posted by: andrew1218

did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

She's an artist. Show some repect

it's sad. she's only an Artist because of her Sister. her sister is 100x better than her.

TemeculaMike
01-05-2005, 10:33 AM
http://www.porkispeace.com/Chargers/OffTopic.jpg

How the hell did a thread discussing potential draft picks to watch turn into what young pop singer sucks?

Back on topic:

I saw very little from the OU squad that would convince me to use a draft pick, except for Mark Clayton. They all looked slow and unskilled. The Sooner's vaunted o-line was slow and none appear ready for NFL speed. There might be some gems in there, but it will be a year or two before they are ready Sunday.

On the USC side of the ball, Gootegard (always) looks impressive, but will have to be moved from linebacker to strong-safety because of his size. Certainly Leinart is a first rounder and proved it Tuesday night. However, given the Sooner's horrible play, its hard to say whether Leinart's performance was due to superior USC play or poor Sooner play. Steve Smith is also another 1st or 2nd rounder and showed his stuff.

OU was simply out-coached and out-played, which, unfortunately makes evaluating talent based on performance in the Orange bowl difficult.

powderblue
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
did anyone hear that halftime show? ashlee simpson is HORRIBLE

yeah dude i couldnt agree more and jessica is way better. ashlee can be hot sometimes but she is one of the worst singers i've ever heard.

JoeMcRugby
01-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by: pgorsy

My favorite part was watching Craig James eat crow in the after-game show. While watching the Holiday Bowl I remember him saying USC did not deserve to play in the National Championship game. What an absurd statement. Here you have a co-national champ, who backed that up with an undefeated season, and that doesn't earn them a spot in the BCS Championship? Had Auburn won the championship last year and backed that up with an undefeated season, I would be in their corner. The fact is, just last year USC punked Auburn in their own crib. What criteria James uses to formulate his takes, God only knows. Of course Greise and Nessler were both Oklahoma homers at the start of this game as well. Nessler made the statement tonight, "Of course, we HAVEN"T SEEN USC all season." Isn't that a statement for East Coast bias in the very first place, that ABC's number one broadcast team hadn't even covered a Trojan game all season? Just had to get that off my chest.

That's because Keith Jackson has it in his contract that he doesn't leave the Pacific Coast for his broadcasts. Thus, Keith Jackson and Dan Fouts did all of the USC games on ABC.

marconi
01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike
http://www.porkispeace.com/Chargers/OffTopic.jpg

How the hell did a thread discussing potential draft picks to watch turn into what young pop singer sucks?

Back on topic:

I saw very little from the OU squad that would convince me to use a draft pick, except for Mark Clayton. They all looked slow and unskilled. The Sooner's vaunted o-line was slow and none appear ready for NFL speed. There might be some gems in there, but it will be a year or two before they are ready Sunday.

On the USC side of the ball, Gootegard (always) looks impressive, but will have to be moved from linebacker to strong-safety because of his size. Certainly Leinart is a first rounder and proved it Tuesday night. However, given the Sooner's horrible play, its hard to say whether Leinart's performance was due to superior USC play or poor Sooner play. Steve Smith is also another 1st or 2nd rounder and showed his stuff.

OU was simply out-coached and out-played, which, unfortunately makes evaluating talent based on performance in the Orange bowl difficult.



Thank You T-Mike for keeping it on track.

Actually I thought S Brodney Pool played a decent game for OU. He was mostly the victim of some well thown passes and some great catches. I'll give the credit to SC and less blame to Pool for those. He was always near the ball and made some good hits immediatley after the catch. I also thought OU DE Dan Cody played well. He was pretty relentless on the pass rush and made a few key stops. I don't think I would take a chance on drafting him though because he has had some mental heath issues. I had enough of that from Cryin' Ryan to last me a lifetime.
I was a little disappointed in MLB Lance Mitchell. I had high expectations of him, but I don't think we were really able to make a fair judgement about any of the OU players after they were blown out of this game so early.

As far as USC goes, I'm thinking of trading one of our first rounders from this year for a potential high first round pick in next years draft and grab Reggie Bush.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

JoeMcRugby
01-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by: marconi

As far as USC goes, I'm thinking of trading one of our first rounders from this year for a potential high first round pick in next years draft and grab Reggie Bush.

Why trade one of this year's first round picks? The Chargers will pick up a 2006 first round pick when they make the decision to trade either Brees or Rivers following the 2005 season.

Use the 2005 first round picks to improve the 2005 Chargers squad. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif i/expressions/beer.gif

rrogers
01-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Bush is going to be a great player in any league is plays in.

DKatz7
01-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Where did all those Okie fans go? They were here talkin smack for the past 2 weeks. How come you Okies can't come on and smack your own? Or maybe you are happy for the product that Bob stupid put on the field. How'd you' like Bob Stoops interview after the game. Way to take responsibility. I hope that every Okie fan that witnessed that pasteing thinks about this next year, and then you exercise some humility.

geekster
01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
If you are done waving your little finger and hollering "Okie" would you mind if the rest of us pursued something more on-topic like draft prospects?

Chargeroo
01-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike
http://www.porkispeace.com/Chargers/OffTopic.jpg

How the hell did a thread discussing potential draft picks to watch turn into what young pop singer sucks?
.
The kids got in here. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

TemeculaMike
01-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I say we take away "post" privileges from anybody that can name more than 1 rapper, hip-hop artist or pop singer ... starting with Dan40 i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

oklahomasooners
01-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by: DKatz7
Where did all those Okie fans go? They were here talkin smack for the past 2 weeks. How come you Okies can't come on and smack your own? Or maybe you are happy for the product that Bob stupid put on the field. How'd you' like Bob Stoops interview after the game. Way to take responsibility. I hope that every Okie fan that witnessed that pasteing thinks about this next year, and then you exercise some humility.

I right here, rookie. Yeah, we got our a$$es whooped. Chuck Long should be fired, then we win. He is sooooooo predictable.

JoeMcRugby
01-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by: oklahomasooners

Originally posted by: DKatz7
Where did all those Okie fans go? They were here talkin smack for the past 2 weeks. How come you Okies can't come on and smack your own? Or maybe you are happy for the product that Bob stupid put on the field. How'd you' like Bob Stoops interview after the game. Way to take responsibility. I hope that every Okie fan that witnessed that pasteing thinks about this next year, and then you exercise some humility.

I right here, rookie. Yeah, we got our a$$es whooped. Chuck Long should be fired, then we win. He is sooooooo predictable.

Yeah, Chuck Long should be strung up for those 5 TD passes his offense gave up. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

oklahomasooners
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
Yeah, Chuck Long should be strung up for those 5 TD passes his offense gave up.

No, we ALWAYS run it on first down. Then on second down, we mostly run. Then third down, we pass. Come on, mix it up a little, or a lot!

oklahomasooners
01-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by: TemeculaMike
I knew USC would win, but I have stopped watching the slaughter in Florida. Wow, the Sooners are not even in the same league as USC.



While every team is capable of "not showing up" (i.e. Cal and UCLA). The Sooners are just simply out classed in every respect. This is sad.



Based on what I am seeing, Cal would have beat these bums.

Last time I checked, Cal couldn't hang with Texas Tech who OU beat and UCLA lost to a team that went to their first bowl game this year.

JoeMcRugby
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
The Cal team that nearly beat USC could have taken just about any team in the country down.

The Cal team that was missing its top 3 WRs due to season ending injuries that played Texas Tech could be beaten by 25 or so squads around the country.

Cal had a very nice squad in 2004, but outside of RB it had very little depth.

oklahomasooners
01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
The Cal team that was missing its top 3 WRs due to season ending injuries that played Texas Tech could be beaten by 25 or so squads around the country.

That don't matter. OU played the whole season without our star defensive lineman. We aren't complaining. He got into a fight and OU suspended him like colleges should do. Most of them don't. That shows class.

ftwbolt
01-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by: oklahomasooners

Originally posted by: DKatz7
Where did all those Okie fans go? They were here talkin smack for the past 2 weeks. How come you Okies can't come on and smack your own? Or maybe you are happy for the product that Bob stupid put on the field. How'd you' like Bob Stoops interview after the game. Way to take responsibility. I hope that every Okie fan that witnessed that pasteing thinks about this next year, and then you exercise some humility.

I right here, rookie. Yeah, we got our a$$es whooped. Chuck Long should be fired, then we win. He is sooooooo predictable.

Chuck Long gets some of the blame, as does Stoops and the DC.

But they did'nt fumble or throw the INT's, or give up big plays. The players stunk the place up.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gifi/expressions/present.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif