PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we don't need to draft a high WR...

GatesFan1
01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
safety and DE are our primary needs

TemeculaMike
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree. We appear to be set at wide receiver, tight end, offensive back field, and line-backer. AJ will likely concentrate on the defensive line, secondary and some offensive o-line earth movers.

We also have Dave Ball, who is on IR but is good at getting to the QB.

Boltman29
01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Please A.J.-- Draft us a big time Free Safety!!! Wilson is a capable BACKUP and that's it. If we had a Sean Taylor type roaming back there with Terrence Kiel...Oh my God... Please A.J. Please!

robanalog
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by: Boltman29
Please A.J.-- Draft us a big time Free Safety!!! Wilson is a capable BACKUP and that's it. If we had a Sean Taylor type roaming back there with Terrence Kiel...Oh my God... Please A.J. Please!

I think we have Clinton Hart and also Hanik Milligan getting ready to take that spot. Milligan looked alright on Sunday and Hart is supposed to be the bomb. We might be OK there too...

TemeculaMike
01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Rob,
Why didn't you post this in the "Draft Talk" category?

robanalog
01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
my bad. I get so worked up with my thoughts I forget to post in the right category. Sorry. Mods please take this thread to it's new home. i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

DiehardCharger85
01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
the only problem of drafting a safety this year is that there is no studly Safety coming out of this years draft.... the top safety is set to go in the late 2nd round or the early 3rd round.... id say move jammer to free safety and sign fred smoot via FA

beaumac
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I totally agree with you, other than the fact that Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards are both the best WR I've seen in the draft since Moss. If one of those guys is available I think you have to take him. They are young and can be signed to long term contract, so youd have LT, Brees, Gates, and (Edwards) for 5+ years together at least without eating up the entire salary cap.

foty89
01-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I too, believe that we do not need to draft a receiver in the high rounds. I donít agree that you have to have a number one receiver. As I have said many times, who is the number one receiver on the Patriots? They have one tow of the last three Super Bowls without one. If you have a solid group and spread the ball around, you will do fine.

The thing about having a number one receiver is that often the rest of your receivers are not that great. If the team you are playing can cover your number one, you have a problem. If all of your receivers are good, but not great, one of them is going to be open. It may not be as flashy, nor as exciting, but it does consistently work.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

beltzaz
01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, I think we already have a number one receiver, his name is Antonio Gates!!!!!! Having him we do not need a stud WR, only good receivers with good hands.

Capfan
01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by: foty89
I too, believe that we do not need to draft a receiver in the high rounds. I donít agree that you have to have a number one receiver. As I have said many times, who is the number one receiver on the Patriots? They have one tow of the last three Super Bowls without one. If you have a solid group and spread the ball around, you will do fine.

The thing about having a number one receiver is that often the rest of your receivers are not that great. If the team you are playing can cover your number one, you have a problem. If all of your receivers are good, but not great, one of them is going to be open. It may not be as flashy, nor as exciting, but it does consistently work.

Go Bolts!

I agree with you on this. In fact the last 4 Superbowls have been won by teams without a stud #1 WR. And the teams w/ Owens, Moss, Harrison, Moulds etc.. have not been able to go the distance. It's funny that teams pay these guys 7 million a year, and 2 of the best offenses in the league, the Pats and the Chiefs, each have 5 guys for that price. (Actually I'm not sure what Morton's contract is). Troy Brown has been the Pats best WR for several years, makes chump change in comparison, and I don't think he'd be a #2 on most teams in the league. Same with Givens, Patten, Branch etc.

The flip side to this is, if the Bolts have a WR rated high and he falls to them, they're going to take him and it's the right move. I want them to draft a Richard Seymour type DE at the #12 spot. And I'm all for the WR's we have on the roster now. But a year from now McCardell is that much older and out of his contract and Caldwell hasn't shown he can make it through more than half a season. As much as I like Parker and Osgood, and Floyd, we probably aren't going to be talking about them 3 years down the road. They're as solid as can be right now, but in time, walk ons and un-drafteds seem to phase out. (yes there are always exceptions, but we've seen a bunch of Omar Ellison's)

What I'm getting at is, if they like a guy so much and he's there because the 11 teams in front of them went after different needs, then WR is not a bad pick. Imagine what a player the caliber of Roy Williams could do for this offense. Our needs may be most pressing at DE, but it may be that the best DE for the 3-4 is rated behind so many other D-linemen that they feel they can get him with their later pick. Vince Wilfork went #20 last year and was best NT in the draft. And they found Igor in the top of the 2nd round and we like how that turned out.

LTMvP61nizine
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
I agree we dont need a WR in the draft eric parker is our guy why waste our draft pick on a WR. Our top priority is the secondary. Offense is set.

Capfan
01-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by: LTMvP61nizine
I agree we dont need a WR in the draft eric parker is our guy why waste our draft pick on a WR. Our top priority is the secondary. Offense is set.

Our priority should be a DE. A guy to line up with Jamal and Igor to shut down the run and collapse the pocket. The players we have in the secondary will benefit from this. You could have Champ Bailey back there, but he can't cover all day long. The game is won in the trenches.

jweb101
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a question.. I think we all agree that Olshansky and J Williams are monsters and we need one more up front to complement the pass rush, but who do you take out of college?? These guys take awhile to develop, especially in the 3-4. I mean Olshansky is a stud against the run, but when we dropped our linebackers into coverage, he was rarely the guy to pressure the QB. I am almost leaning towards taking a stud safety and picking up another quality LB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round, or address the stud safety in FA. If we can get another LB like Foley with that kind of pressure, we can create some problems. Plus, I thought we were deep at LB, but when Polk and Moreno went on IR, the special teams suffered big time, it cost us the Colts game for sure. Every backup LB is on the special teams and we were fielding a bunch of backup WR's for awhile.

Capfan
01-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Igor's pass rush improves next year with the addition of a DE on the other side. Jamal already forces teams to double team him with a guard. But when you have 2 strong DE's to contend with as well, the opponent starts to run out of blockers and requires help from TE's and backs. Otherwise someone's coming one on one. And that's not even factoring in the blitzing LB's.

rrogers
01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree with the safety and DE put we do need a WR. Since we have two first round draft picks, it would be nice to trade one for a proven WR to go with Keenan and Parker.

JoeMcRugby
01-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by: foty89

Go Bolts!

For the most part you're right, but the Steelers ain't doing too bad with their number one Ward surrounded by Plexiglass and Randle-Al. And to take it to another level, the Colts ain't doing too bad with their number one Harrison surrounded by Wayne and Stokely. And for five years or so, the Rams haven't been too bad with Bruce as their number one and number two Terry Holt (who have now swapped the number one and two spots) and various others filling the number 3.

If you can get a dynamic WR like Williams or Edwards, it will be very tough to pass up. Having a WR like them combined with Gates and all the other young receivers, the Chargers receiving corp could develop very quickly into a Rams/Steelers/Colts corp. But you need a legit number one to do that.

And I understand the Patriot argument. But how many Belichick's are there floating around the NFL in the coaching ranks? He's the key to the entire roster/team structure of the Pats.

BTW how has the Tuna done in the big picture since Belichick left his staff?

arod9876
01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
we need a dominating DE. Since we stop the run so well the offense is forced to throw. if we got a DE that could collapse the pocket our secondary wouldn't have to cover for so long.

mgpretzel
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
We need a Coverage FS a tough coverage FS. Like sean taylor. Keil is are run suppot guy we don't have anyone to do pass game. Wilson is way to slow

JoeMcRugby
01-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by: mgpretzel
We need a Coverage FS a tough coverage FS. Like sean taylor. Keil is are run suppot guy we don't have anyone to do pass game. Wilson is way to slow

Don't need another rookie/youngster in the secondary. Free safety needs to be covered through free agency/trade or trying Hart (as Trumpy has "harped" on).

Got to have a vet (with far greater coverage skills than Wilson) behind the youngsters instead of counting on a rookie to lead the way since the free safety calls the coverages.

BTW Sean Taylor, despite his unbelievable skills, hardly started all year for the Skins because of these extra duties.

boltz21forlife
01-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby

Originally posted by: mgpretzel

Don't need another rookie/youngster in the secondary. Free safety needs to be covered through free agency/trade or trying Hart (as Trumpy has "harped" on).

Got to have a vet (with far greater coverage skills than Wilson) behind the youngsters instead of counting on a rookie to lead the way since the free safety calls the coverages.

BTW Sean Taylor, despite his unbelievable skills, hardly started all year for the Skins because of these extra duties.

Couldn't agree with you more. Our whole secondary is young, we need a veteran leader. I believe that is why San Diego kept Wilson for so long is because he has a lot of experience, that is why he always made most of the defensive calls and adjustments.

TrumpetDude
01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.profootballdraft.com/teamneeds.php

Here is guide for Team Needs. I agree with the Chargers evaluation. I did not look at the others.

Enjoy

geekster
01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by: TrumpetDude
http://www.profootballdraft.com/teamneeds.php

Here is guide for Team Needs. I agree with the Chargers evaluation. I did not look at the others.

Enjoy

I noticed that if you compare the total points, only the Ravens and Steelers have a lower value than ours on that matrix. Interesting. Thanks for the link Trumpy!

JoeMcRugby
01-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Also interesting that the second biggest draft need (barely behing DE and just in front of DT) is at the WR position.

I assume that's because the free safety position is anticipated to be filled in the free agent market since teams don't want to have a rookie manning that position.

We'll have to see how it all works out in the end, but IMO there is a WR need in the draft that needs to be addressed on Day 1, largely because the current #1 is nearing the end of the road as far as his NFL career goes.

DEboltsfan
01-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Good point McRuby. We have used a # of draft picks on our secondary in recent years. The problem should be addressed through a veteran of some sort. I'm not sure who that player is but it should be a vet. A post yesterday mentioned Samari Rolle from the Titans, that doesn't sound bad.