PDA

View Full Version : Chargers can pick up a 3rd First Round pick


beaumac
01-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Trade rivers, contract and all to the cowboys for their #11 pick. The cowboys also have the 18th pick from the Losman trade and are in DESPARATE need of a young franchise quaterback. You dont trade a qb who won you 12 games in a season. Unless Brees is insistent on getting out of San Diego, which is hard to imagine anyone being, this is our best option. Otherwise they will have to franchise Brees and trade him to Miami or SF for their first round picks.

Rip
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
we cannot trade rivers because of the $10+mil salary cap hit

JoeMcRugby
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Trade Brees to Miami or SF?

Miami and SF will be using their first round picks to draft Leinart and Rodgers. In the end, Leinart will make himself available for the draft. How can he improve his draft position by playing another year of college football?

Trade Rivers for the 18th pick?

As Rip pointed out (and AJ has flat out stated), Rivers won't be traded this year. And the Cowboys would have to ante up a LOT more than the 18th pick to get Rivers (and the Cowboys will need to start looking for a new head coach).

robanalog
01-05-2005, 05:22 PM
SF will probably take leinart...

guimcharger
01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by: Rip
we cannot trade rivers because of the $10+mil salary cap hit

I think the catch though is if they trade Rivers after his bonus is given to him then the cap hit won't be as servere.

Thunderstruck
01-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by: guimcharger

Originally posted by: Rip
we cannot trade rivers because of the $10+mil salary cap hit

I think the catch though is if they trade Rivers after his bonus is given to him then the cap hit won't be as servere.

Actually...they would have to trade Rivers before the deferred money (around $6 million) is paid out. If they trade him before that, the team that obtains him would be responsible to pay that money, and the Bolts would take around a $5.5 million cap hit (according to Trotter.)

marconi
01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by: robanalog
SF will probably take leinart...

The correct move from a pure marketing standpoint would be to take Cal QB Aaron Rodgers. I think Leinart is the better choice but Rodgers is no slouch and he's a hometown favorite.

Speaking of San Francisco and QB controversy. How many years did Steve Young sit on the bench waiting for Joe Montana to pass the baton. It was a nice luxury to have two great QB's on the same team. I think if we rid ourselves of Fluties contract next year we should be able to keep both Brees and Rivers.

BoltObsessive
01-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I heard that the SF owner is looking at the entire USC package... Carroll, Chow, and Leinart. Carroll is best a great college coach/coordinator, but not a pro coach.

I think Flutie's contract is only for about 2-3 million, which has almost no effect on the cap. Rivers' cap number is 6 to 9 million.

JoeMcRugby
01-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Rivers' cap figure for 2005 is around $3 million as his 2005 salary is just over $500,000.

Flutie's cap number for 2004 is well under $2 million (closer to $1 million). I believe his cap number is $0 if he's not brought in 2005 because there's no bonus to spread around (and in the NFL, a bonus is the only guaranteed money - there are no guaranteed contracts). Even at that, I don't believe Flutie's under contract for 2005.

rrogers
01-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I actually think the chargers should trade one of their first round draft picks for a veteren player. The money and bonus' for first round draft picks (unproven) is outragous and hit the cap pretty good. If we can get a veteren in the same position yes we would still have to pay the money and bonuses but it would be a proven player and the chargers could actually defer some of the money later down the road, you can't do that with a rookie.

Maybe trade both of our picks for a higher pick in the draft to maybe get Williams (WR).

JoeMcRugby
01-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Most reports have Williams being on the board at the 12th pick. No need to package two first rounders unless you're looking to move into the number one spot and get (in all likelihood) Leinart. And Lord knows the last thing the Chargers need is another QB to throw into the stew. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

rrogers
01-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
Most reports have Williams being on the board at the 12th pick. No need to package two first rounders unless you're looking to move into the number one spot and get (in all likelihood) Leinart. And Lord knows the last thing the Chargers need is another QB to throw into the stew.

Man if Williams could wait until 12th then the Chargers may end up with him with the Giants pick, that would be hugh. Lienart looked really good yesterday put I still would not put allot of stock on him just yet. He would be a good fit for SF though.

SuperMatt
01-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby And Lord knows the last thing the Chargers need is another QB to throw into the stew.

Hey, it worked this year! Why not draft a QB #1 every year! ;-)

rrogers
01-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Now that is funny!

beaumac
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
How many years would they take a cap hit for trading rivers now? I hardly think you can compare the bolts situation to the 49ers of the early 90s. Montana was old and nearing retirement, brees is what, 24? Both of them have 10+ years ahead of them so a decision is going to have to be made and someone is getting shipped away. And dont you think it would make more sense for 49ers or Dolphins to take a proven, top 10 qb in the NFL instead of drafting one out of college? I dont understand why they would want leinart over brees

phicart
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
If we keep Brees and trade Rivers despite the cap hit, we won't need a QB at number one. Trading Rivers for mid first and a third or fourth would give us three first rounders...a scarry WR( I like Edwards) and two DBs...a corner and a safety. There are a bunch of good athletic QB's in this year's draft that could be developed over a coupe years that won't cost near what Rivers does. We could actually end up saving money in the long haul.

isaic16
01-09-2005, 09:53 AM
The problem is that three first rounders cost money. And money is something we won't have if we trade Rivers. We'd have to trade away thise first rounders we just got just to be able to afford our team

rxe285
01-09-2005, 02:39 PM
If we Franchise tag Brees then trade him we can get two first round picks one in each consecutive year and the other team would have to pick up the tab. then we could afford to pay three firsters. Or we have to trade Rivers now before the roster deadline (I think its in march) to avoid paying the whole 10 mil. Does that sound right?

lca9900
01-09-2005, 04:50 PM
My understanding is that if we trade Rivers we will take a hit on the salary cap, more dead money that could have been spend in other ways. Now if we franchise tag Brees, Brees can not sign with another team. And if he does not sign the offer, he sits and does not play. And I do nto think that Brees can afford to sit the year out. Now he does not have to sign but he and his agent could attempt to work a trade with another team with the Chargers approval. So Brees still gets what he wants and the Chargers gets something in return. Now. he could sign and prove this year was not a fluke and still get a long term deal with the Chargers. But if I where Brees I either get the Chargers to committ to a long term deal or ask them to work a trade.

As to out draft picks, I think that we are allow a certain amount in a rookie pool that does not count against the salary cap. I am not sure on this but I know that there is a certain amount of money for first year players that do not count against the salary cap.

Now we need to also think about Gates as I am sure his contract is up in the next year or two. I think it should be a priority to sign him to an extension ASAP.

As to the draft, we need defense and depth at some positions. I know that our secondary is young. So maybe we can sign a few FA to provide leadership.

JMHO

Hutch187
01-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Sign Porter from the Raiders, hurts them helps us on two fronts, we will not have to cover him, and he is a big strong and fast wr to go along with McCardell, Parker, and Ozgood, it is time to drop Dwight, then we can use our two first rounds one a pure pass rusher, and a safety or true shut down corner, lets face it Jammer is a good nb 2 but not a shut down type, move Florance to the the other safter spot with Kiel and run with it.

phicart
01-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Remember when D Sanders was talking about joining the Raiders just before the Tampa Bay Super Bowl massacre? Remember Schottenheimer's move? I'm sure the Raiders haven't. Basically, I would never ever expect the Raiders to do anything to help a division foe just as we wouldn't. I've heard cap hit figures from 3 mil and under to 9 mil for trading Rivers. If the figure is really at the bottom end of the scale, then making that move for the additional draft pick might be worth it. Braylon Edwards is currently projected to go 10th and there are a bunch of teams that need a QB more than a WR that pick in front of us. Wouldn't need a top five...could probably get him around 8 or 9 to be safe. Just depends on how he does at the combine. That's the rub though as I expect him to jump in front of Mike Williams and could end up in the top five. If he does, that will mean Williams moves down and would be available. I believe Edwards is the better choice, but Williams ain't bad. Now, about that safety thing. Might just be another guy worth taking a good hard look at that should be available late first round, early second. Ernest Shazor, also of Michigan. This guy has some serious down side...got burned deep a few times and needs a bit more open field tackling skills, but he does have major skills. The guy is 6'4" at near 230 and a major athlete...his high school stats are taht he ran 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds and bench pressed 280 pounds ... had a 32-inch vertical jump. He also lead Michigan in tackles this year despite not being the world's greatest tackler. This guy coming on a blitz would be scarry. The other guy I would like to see us get is Shazor's backfield buddy, Marlin Jackson. He's 6'1" and 196 and even stronger and faster than Shazor...his high school stats are that he ran 40-yard dash in 4.45 and bench pressed 300 pounds and was a three year letterman in basketball. Both of these guys have issues, but issues will save us money. Question is, do we have the coaching staff to make athletes into winners?

beaumac
01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
the raiders should be the last thing we worry about this offseason.

JoeMcRugby
01-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by: phicart
Remember when D Sanders was talking about joining the Raiders just before the Tampa Bay Super Bowl massacre? Remember Schottenheimer's move? I'm sure the Raiders haven't. Basically, I would never ever expect the Raiders to do anything to help a division foe just as we wouldn't. I've heard cap hit figures from 3 mil and under to 9 mil for trading Rivers. If the figure is really at the bottom end of the scale, then making that move for the additional draft pick might be worth it. Braylon Edwards is currently projected to go 10th and there are a bunch of teams that need a QB more than a WR that pick in front of us. Wouldn't need a top five...could probably get him around 8 or 9 to be safe. Just depends on how he does at the combine. That's the rub though as I expect him to jump in front of Mike Williams and could end up in the top five. If he does, that will mean Williams moves down and would be available. I believe Edwards is the better choice, but Williams ain't bad. Now, about that safety thing. Might just be another guy worth taking a good hard look at that should be available late first round, early second. Ernest Shazor, also of Michigan. This guy has some serious down side...got burned deep a few times and needs a bit more open field tackling skills, but he does have major skills. The guy is 6'4" at near 230 and a major athlete...his high school stats are taht he ran 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds and bench pressed 280 pounds ... had a 32-inch vertical jump. He also lead Michigan in tackles this year despite not being the world's greatest tackler. This guy coming on a blitz would be scarry. The other guy I would like to see us get is Shazor's backfield buddy, Marlin Jackson. He's 6'1" and 196 and even stronger and faster than Shazor...his high school stats are that he ran 40-yard dash in 4.45 and bench pressed 300 pounds and was a three year letterman in basketball. Both of these guys have issues, but issues will save us money. Question is, do we have the coaching staff to make athletes into winners?

Damn, those "second-youngest-team-in-the-NFL" losers. The coaching staff only took them to a 12-4 record.

Let's axe the coaching staff yesterday. i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif