PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Draft Status

IgorUnchained
01-08-2005, 04:03 AM
I hate to seem helpless here, but am finding it difficult to find some info on the Chargers Draft Status.

By now, we all know that the Pick from the Giants is the #12 slot, and we are all but certain of the #32 slot.

Hey, they laughed at Columbus when he said the world was round! And look what he did, he invented the rotary engine and later became the first woman in space! Never lose the dream!

Ok the meds have kicked back in and I remember the point of this.

Can any of you who know "stuff" and "things" maybe post a link to the breakdown of what draft choices we have at this point. I know we gained some through trades and lost some through trades as well. Didnt we get a 2005 pick for Boston? Didnt we give up a draft pick for Dyson? Im not sure and I dont know if we have no 3rd round pick or two 3rd round picks.

A link or simple breakdown of the Cap situation would be helpful too...especially with all the wild speculation we have in this forum already.

I know that there are some Old Schoolers in this forum that might be able to talk the Mods or tech types to get a good link and maybe make it a stickie with updated info to base our decisions off of.

Thanks alot and Go Bolts!

IgorUnchained
01-08-2005, 04:11 PM
So much for my bright idea....

smrtalec33
01-08-2005, 04:23 PM
According to draftinsiders.com, in addition to the 2 #1's this year, they have a #2, no #3 (traded to TB for McCardell), and have their own 4th round pick. They give their 5th round pick to Tampa for Oben, but get the Giants' for Eli. The 6th round pick also goes to Tampa for McCardell, but the Chargers get Miami's 6th rounder for Boston. They then have their normal 7th round pick.

So, according to draftinsiders,

Round 1: 2 picks, 12th and wherever
Round 2: 1 pick (their own)
Round 4: 1 pick (their own)
Round 5: 1 pick (NYG)
Round 6: 1 pick (Miami)
Round 7: 1 pick (their own)

I don't think they owe anything for Dyson, but i could be wrong.

oklahomasooners
01-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I thought we got 3 first round picks?

smrtalec33
01-08-2005, 11:55 PM
The 2nd #1 pick looks like #28 now, so it should be 12 and 28th overall in the 1st round.

Sooners, the Chargers have their own 1st round pick and the Giants first round pick from the Eli Manning trade. They might try to trade Brees and possibly get a 3rd #1 pick, but for now they have two.

geekster
01-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by: oklahomasooners
I thought we got 3 first round picks?

We've had a tough week sooners - first OSU and now the loss to the Jets. Better go get some sleep.

And yeah - we "only" have 2 1st round picks - at least for now. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

crazyman33
01-09-2005, 08:10 AM
28th? wouldnt it be more like 24th? itll be the teams that lost their wild card games right? so the playoff teams that would pick before us are seattle, whoever loses the pack-vik game and the broncos if they lose. If the colts lose wouldnt we be 23? isnt that how they work it?

isaic16
01-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I believe, after the Superbowl attendees are removed, it is entirely based on record between the remaining playoff teams. Thus, we would still be behind most of the NFC teams, as well as several AFC teams, since we stil have the better record.

smrtalec33
01-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Yeah, i believe Isaic is correct. I think it's entirely based on record (except the super bowl teams are 31st and 32nd), so the only thing that had to be determined was who would pick higher, SD or Indy. Actually though, even if the Colts had lost to Denver, they had a stronger schedule than SD, so the Chargers pick ahead of them either way.

smrtalec33
01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Also, if anyone besides the Eagles wins the NFC, the pick will go from 28th to 27th. And, if the Jets somehow came out of the AFC, that would also bump the pick up. So, theoretically it could still be 26 or 27, depending on what happens.

IgorUnchained
01-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks for responding guys...I still havent found the info in my web surfing...I appreciate you guys getting it posted.

The 3rd rounder we got from the Giants last year was for last years draft, thats how we got Nate Kaeding. This years 3rd rounder went to either Dyson or Keenan, Im pretty sure. The 6th round pick from Miami came from David Boston ( and well worth the price I might add) but I dotn know where we lost/spent our 6th rounder. --- either way it is much easier to speculate and figure if we know how many picks we have and where they fall- Now here comes the "Season within a Season"!

IgorUnchained
01-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by: IgorUnchained
Thanks for responding guys...I still havent found the info in my web surfing...I appreciate you guys getting it posted.

The 3rd rounder we got from the Giants last year was for last years draft, thats how we got Nate Kaeding. This years 3rd rounder went to either Dyson or Keenan, Im pretty sure. The 6th round pick from Miami came from David Boston ( and well worth the price I might add) but I dotn know where we lost/spent our 6th rounder. --- either way it is much easier to speculate and figure if we know how many picks we have and where they fall- Now here comes the "Season within a Season"!

PS- last I heard we are 21 mil under the cap

isaic16
01-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I believe the sixth was spent in the McCardell trade, though I'm not sure and would appreciate confirmation

BehindBlueEyes3
01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Just to clear things up, I found this about the draft order for playoff teams:

The Super Bowl winner automatically picks 32nd while the Super Bowl loser picks 31st regardless of regular season record. All other playoff teams are placed in the selection order based on their regular season record upon losing their playoff game. If a playoff team and a non-playoff team are tied based on regular season record, the non-playoff team will pick first. If two playoff teams are tied based on regular season record, the team that lost in the earlier round of the playoffs will select first. If both playoff teams that have the same record exited the playoffs in the same round, the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker is applied.

So that means pending a team that is 11-5 or worse making the superbowl, we will pick 28th because Pittsburgh, New England, and Philadelphia all have better records than us and because we exited the playoffs before Indianapolis we pick before them . If two 11-5 or worse teams make the superbowl then we pick 26. So it would have to be the Jets vs Atlanta, Minnesota, or St. Louis in the superbowl.